• Pros

• "I love the simple design and customizability of this software. Very easy to use and is a joy to show off to clients. "

• "The invoicing is amazing, The software is very easy to use, "

• "It is simple and easy to use and integrates with many other softwares. "

• Cons

• "takes a bit to learn unless you know accounting software. For someone who uses pen and paper, changing over was a little slower than I would expect."

• "growing pains of a young software but their support is good at keeping me updated on things"

• "There is not much I don't like about the software other than it needs more payment options. I like Stripe but I would love the option to use PayPal with some clients."

Browse Sunrise Reviews

Fredy from Bluestone Visuals

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Great accounting software

I've been using Sunrise for sometime now, haven't had major issues with it and when I had it turned out to be a user issue :p rather than software issue and support help me clear it. Overall really happy with it.

Pros

Is easy to use, I'm not an accountant nor have many experience in that field so being easy to use was a big advantage for us. It has the core functionalities we need and many others that I certainly don't know how to use so It should have the required features for advanced users. The invoicing system is great, easy and customizable. Has a quoting and estimating system that's easy to convert to an invoice, also has an easy way to send reminders about our invoices and has some automation once you get paid. It has a bookkeeping system and loans offering but we haven't used those so no comment there.

Cons

Would be great if we could use our own domain to send the invoices, reminders etc instead of the @sunriseapp.com I haven't found a way to automate the invoicing process, using a csv file or something like Zapier or similar to avoid the need to create each item of the invoice . That certainly would save us a lot of time. Not sure if these will be offered later or if there's already a way to do it at this time, just haven't found them.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

I might be biased as I got a special offer from a time when Sunrise had a different name but also had a similar offering from the software above and decided to stay with Sunrise due to features, ease of use and interface. They all offered similar features but still got a better value from Sunrise.

Great Feature Set for Small Business Owners Ready to Move Beyond Spreadsheets

It helped me get organized and serious about my business accounting, which helped my business grow. And it's a great free alternative to Quickbooks Online.

Pros

This is the tool I recommend for any business owner/startup for double-entry accounting. It's the tool I used to get serious about my business accounting (moving out of spreadsheets). Getting organized with a chart of accounts, an real Profit/Loss statement, invoice processing/tracking/payments, and more helped me focus and grow. I purchased it when it was known as Billy, but now it's free and improving.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not too bad. Lendio is improving Sunrise since acquiring Billy, but there are still some areas that can be improved. There is no account dashboard, meaning you have to go into each account individually to see if there are transactions to be reconciled or to check balances (this should be visible on a single page). Also, there is no way to save report settings, so if I want to see my P/L report by months for the current year, I have to make multiple selections each and every time I run it.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

I didn't want the monthly cost associated with QBO. I may move to it in the future as my business grows, but Sunrise does what I need for free for now.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Our customer feedback is essential to how we improve the product. Thank you for providing us with your detailed review. As you mentioned, we plan to keep improving and making the tool better for our users. We have some exciting new product launches coming in June. Thank you again for your valuable input.

Nate from Growth|Media

Industry: Graphic Design

Simple Invoicing

5/10. It works, it's simple, but it doesn't give me all the option and tools that I would like when it comes to integrating and designing invoices. They just don't match up with the design scheme of my company and because of that, we have switched services, although it should be said, it's been a lot higher of a learning curve with more the complex platforms we've switched to.

Pros

A basic, fairly easy to use platform for creating and managing invoices. It's utility is fine, it does allow my clients to pay us through their invoices. It's because of this, that I give it a mediocre rating. However, I think there is room for improvement.

Cons

This app lacks the design and integration capabilities of its competitors and they seem to have been experiencing some growing pains lately. The templates are basic and allow for minimal changes in font, some color, and logo changes; that is about it though. Our company uses sales decks to issue quotes for projects and it would be great if I could integrate billy invoices into that, however design compatibility aside, billy invoices can only be structured vertically, not horizontally, which is how our deck are orientated. We've also experienced some glitches in notifications and connections to stripe, which is the processor they use.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

Hi Nate, Thanks for your honest review. You are right that we are simpler than some of our competitors (though not any less powerful!). This is how we keep our costs low and our prices low for new entrepreneurs. It also helps small businesses who don't have accountants keep their books organized on a budget. I am sorry that our invoice designs didn't work out for you. It sounds like you have a design focused business and I can understand the need to have even more control over how your invoices look. Our invoice templates are clean and elegant and very customizable for most small businesses with levers for font type, color and style as well as logo placement and even background colors. Thanks again for giving us a try and best of luck with your business! -The Billy Team

Ben from INSPIRE YOUR BRAND

It’s an excellent app for startups & entrepreneurs!

Overall it’s been good. The support seems lacking as I’ve had to complain about stuff to get anywhere and usually don’t. So if I could have them improve anything it’s customer service, Zapier integrations and embedded payment forms for our websites.

Pros

I love setting my invoicing on autopilot - every month it bills my customers and manages the transactions. I can see who isn’t paying their bills, it’s great.

Cons

They still don’t have a Zapier integration yet, they recently reached out to me to be apart of their beta which is great as I want to integrate it with my all-in-one digital marketing platform Automate CRM. Doing so will streamline my signups / billing for done-for-you clients. I also think they need embeddable payment forms. Currently have to use stripe, but that bypasses their system so that won’t work for the long term. They need to get up to speed like waveapps, I’ve been checking their software out because of the limitations I’m running into.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

Because they gave me a deal I couldn’t refuse. At the time I didn’t really know the difference, and I believe waveapps is newer so that wasn’t available at the time. I’m strongly looking at waveapps now because of the lack of integrations and really need payment forms I can embed, I feel I could bandaid the solution with Zapier if they come out with the integration soon.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Hi Ben, thank you for your great feedback! As you mentioned, we are excited to start testing the integration of Zapier in Sunrise. We take user feedback very seriously and we are always looking for way to improve our product. We've relayed you support concerns to our Customer Experience (CX) team and we will do everything in our power to do better by you. Additionally, we've taken your embeddable payment forms suggestion to our Product Manager lead. If there is any update whatsoever, you will be the first to know. Thank you again for your review.

Justin from Justin Nava

Simple, easy, and to the point Accounting

I've been a part of Sunrise since it was called Billy accounting software. Sunrise definitely took the strong foundation of Billy and continues to improve on it.

Pros

I've been using Billy/Sunrise since I started my business. They are quick to setup, and can be very simple to track your banking and invoicing, along with some advanced features to automate a lot of your accounting. The biggest pros I see are: - Quick and easy invoicing (including recurring) - Connect your bank account for automatic transaction tracking - Budgeting - Integrates with Stripe for collecting payments but also offers their own merchant account (good to have a backup)

Cons

I'm not a power user since I'm a one-man business, but there is one big feature missing. There is no automatic payment/debit feature. Recurring invoices are just automatically sent, but need to be paid by the client. There is no way to auto-debit every month, which slows down a few workflows.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

I chose Sunrise (back when it was called Billy) because it was available through AppSumo for a one-time purchase for a lifetime subscription.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Thank you, Justin, for your awesome 5-star review. We are thrilled you are happy with the product. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping, this mean making our tool intuitive and easy to use. Wishing you success and growth with your business.

DARON from THE ASPIRE WEB AGENCY

Sunrise ok but can be great

My overall experience has been great except for customer service. They are great when they respond but their response time leaves something to be desired.

Pros

The price of the software is what I find the most beneficial.

Cons

They are missing a lot of features that you would normally find in this type of software such as integration.

Response from Lendio

Replied April 2020

Daron, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We strive to do better for our customers and aim to improve our product for our small business owners. We are excited to share some amazing new functionality coming to Sunrise in 2020. Keep an eye out for these improvements. Wishing you success and growth with your business.

Bernard from MXMedia Group Inc

Industry: Printing

Power user

Totally happy with the software. Hope to see Payroll implementation soon and maybe booking capability.

Pros

Since day one I was able to quickly get set up and running the first day. The UI is simple yet intuitive and has may build in options that usually would come as a premium.

Cons

The only drawback for my company is the the inability to run payroll. That's it!

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

A rep called me and told me about the software.

Response from Lendio

Replied April 2020

Thank you, Bernard, for your wonderful 5-star review. We strive to assist business owners in the best way possible. This means making our tool intuitive and easy-to-use. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping, so anyone can understand the health of their business. We will loop in our Product Development team to your suggestion regarding payroll. We know payroll functionality is on their list of priorities. Wishing you success and growth with your business.

Omar from Royal Supplies and Equipment LLC.

Industry: Wholesale

It's a great software

It's a great software

Pros

The invoicing is amazing, The software is very easy to use,

Cons

The cost of goods sold is confusing and difficult to use, the voided invoices can't be reviewed and the expenses are difficult to post as well. Also we can't connect other merchant accounts other than Chase.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

Because of the free version as we are a new company and impacted by covid19 and wanted to cut cost.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Omar, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We apologize that the functionality around COGS and voided invoices. Here is a help article that might be of assistance: http://support.sunriseapp.com/en/articles/880984-how-to-retrieve-an-invoice-that-we-have-accidentally-deleted-or-voided. Additionally, we'd be happy to schedule a demo to walk through the feature and clarify any questions you might have. Thank you for your review, and happy bookkeeping.

shawn from kiva consulting

Industry: Ranching

Great System

The system always works. I have yet to have a fatal crash or bug therefore have lost no data or time in using it. I have other things to worry about so I appreciate reliable software.

Pros

After being a long time QB user, I appreciate being able to get in quickly, do what I need and get out. I use it primarily for invoicing.

Cons

Nothing. Everything works great for my needs

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

User reviews regarding invoicing with Sunrise (Billy at the time).

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Thanks for the glowing review, Shawn. We are ecstatic that you enjoy the invoicing feature. We have some new functionality coming that will improve it even further. Again, thank you for your kind review!

David from Stone Bridge Media

Great Accounting Software

I have been using this software since it was called Billy and like it a lot. If they can add an app at some point I would be super happy with it!

Pros

Sunrise (formerly Billy) allowed us to streamline getting invoices out to clients. What was tedious before became very easy!

Cons

I really with they had an app to accompany the website. There are times when I need to find out info about a client's payment history, and there is no app. You have to log into the website which is not optimized for phones and can be hard to navigate.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

Cheaper and easier. I didn't need all the features that Quickbooks has.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Thank you, David, for the kind review. We are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise, especially around invoicing. It is exciting to know you were able to streamline your invoice process because of Sunrise. Currently, we have a team working on improving our mobile app. Look out for a new and improved app coming your way in the next couple of months. We appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

matt from Abraxas Media, LLC

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

It gets me paid without a hassle

Overall, this has been a remarkable software, and the support is outstanding.

Pros

I've used several invoicing platforms and so far, Sunrise is the easiest. It's organized well, with the expense reports and other things I don't need to see frequently pushed to the side. The main thing is to see an overview and then see my invoices. It delivers this flawlessly. The overview shows an immediate comparison of the current year with your last year, and shows a pie chart for which clients have paid the most. It's always encouraging to see this clear info.

Cons

I would like it to integrate with TurboTax more easily. I often consider using Quickbooks invoicing just for this purpose. I'd also like a receipt snapshot feature like Quickbooks Self-Employed has, where I can just take a picture of a receipt and immediately import it into my expenses.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

Sunrise was offered with a Briefcase plan

Billy vs Freshbooks

Overall, I am using Billy because of the lifetime deal I have for it. It provides a substantial savings over the monthly cost for Freshbooks. However, without the features, workflow, and integrations that I have come to rely on for my business, I make up for the cost with my time (or a less efficient business). For the cost, I can't complain and even then, Billy really is a nice piece of software for managing quotes, invoicing, and payments.

Pros

I purchased a lifetime deal of Billy through AppSumo, which is really the only reason I am using it. Admittedly, my experience with Billy is colored by me being a longtime user of Freshbooks (which I was very happy with!), so perhaps I had a set of expectations coming into Billy. That being said, Billy is a nice software that gets the job done. They've recently implemented Paypal payments, which I couldn't believe was missing, but so glad it's here, as I have many clients who prefer to pay that way. It shows that they listen to feedback and are actively working on their roadmap. Another plus I appreciate is that you can collect signatures for quote approvals, which is nice.

Cons

However, the two pros mentioned above, Paypal and the quotes functionality, have a flip side. The downside to Paypal is that I can't offer the option on an invoice for clients to pay via Paypal or credit card, I can only offer one or the other -- which completely defeats the purpose! Ideally, I would offer clients as many options as possible, since I don't know in advance which way they would prefer to pay. So, in order to continue to offer payment via Stripe, I can't use the (much anticipated!) Paypal feature. For quotes, it's not immediately apparent in the UI when a quote has been accepted (you have to navigate to each one individually and open it, and even then, it's not glaringly obvious). When you have multiple open quotes, this is a waste of time to continually be checking in this way. There is an option to be notified via email when a quote is accepted, but for a while this wasn't working. I ended up missing a few quote acceptances. I have also run into some weird glitches when setting up payment options. Customer support was pretty slow to respond via email, and I had to follow up multiple times to get any sort of closure on my issue. The biggest con for me (and this is only because I am used to Freshbooks) is that there is no integrated timekeeping feature. I had to search high and low to find a cost-effective solution to track time against projects.

Limited features, but excellent for those features

Prior to using Billy, I was using Freshbooks. Their prices skyrocketed recently, with no real improvement in features or other details which warranted the price hike. That's the reason I came to Billy, but then I was happy to see that something else was the happy result -- I get paid faster. Freshbooks invoices and the system for logging in, paying, viewing, printing, etc., must have been tedious for my clients, because the same clients getting Billy invoices, click and pay MUCH more rapidly, with FEW hiccups in the process. Simply put, with the same business, and the same clients, I get paid more often, more quickly, and with less administrative time. That's a huge win.

Pros

The ease of use, the simplicity of getting started, the clean and minimal look of the invoice templates.

Cons

There are not many bells and whistles, and that's what makes this program so simple and easy to use, but this also means some very useful features are absent -- features which are NOT complicated and should be the norm. For instance, there are two (2) features which are not overly complicated, and yet, would be very useful, if we had them: 1) Let us hyperlink a term, with a URL. I am invoicing for content, and need to reference a URL where this content can be reviewed. I must cut and paste the URL as plain text, and cannot hyperlink it to the URL. This is tedious and looks amaturish. 2) Let us have a text / narrative / summary field at the BOTTOM of the invoice, instead of the top. There is a "message box" at the top of the invoice template, which positions itself immediately under the client's address. This is great for a simple greeting or other short message, but what we really need is this same feature at the bottom of the invoice, also, as a summary, or to include a narrative of some kind that gives a bit more detail on the invoice charges, or confirms a special arrangement or a message between me and my client, which may be too long to put at the top, where it gets in the way of the most important information -- the invoice details / charges.

Mike from The Wholesum Agency

Great Product, Excellent Value

It's been a great system to build our billing and invoicing process on and I don't know of any others out there that are any better.

Pros

I originally started using this product when it was called Billy and since Lendio bought them out and turned it into Sunrise they have added options that have been very helpful. The best so far (for both clients and myself) is the subscription feature for recurring invoices. The software is intuitive and has more features than I actually use, but I do think using the expenses features would be great for myself and my business, I just have not set it up yet.

Cons

The editing of recurring invoices is clunky at best. If there are changes to recurring invoices I generally delete the old one and replace it with a new one because I've have several instances where an edited recurring invoice sits in the system and never sends which of course is bad for both us and the client.

Fantastic. The competitors can't keep up.

Pros

The best thing about Billy is the ease of use. Now usually ease of use means "it doesn't do much." WRONG, this is a powerful bookkeeping program. I recommend it to all my clients. You could invest more in other programs, spend time trying to figure them out, set it up wrong, pay a consultant and then only use a small portion of it, but with Billy you can do it all. (If you want they have a list of accountants and bookkeepers who use Billy and can help - but you won't need their help.) The other big PRO is that this software is rapidly and constantly improving. Additionally, they have a community of users who are very active in helping one another. This community also provides suggestions on how the software can improve and Billy listens. Go ask for improvements with any competing accounting software packages and you'll find you're wasting your time. Billy listens and then acts. Bottom Line: If you are an entrepreneur you don't want to waste time or money get Billy. You don't want your employees to waste time or money get Billy. If you want to keep track of your money get Billy. If you have time or money to waste get some other program and THEN when that doesn't work like you wanted it to get Billy.

Cons

The one thing that I like least about Billy is that they don't connect with every bank. Granted, I use a small regional bank, but it is my bank and I get special treatment at my bank. I'm not going to give up Billy just because it doesn't (yet) interact with my bank.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

We just updated our banks to include thousand more. Please try again to see if your bank is now supported.

Trevor from Graphic Art

For someone who struggles to keep the books, Billy became my new best friend overnight.

Joy beyond belief, My accounting and bookkeeping skills were causing me a nightmare, now, I actually sleep better knowing I'm on track, the product is awesome.

Pros

The Income and expense overview - I always know where my money is and isn't, Creating Invoices is almost too easy, just enter the details, generate a PDF (with your company logo on), and email to the customer, done and dusted. Bills, scan, upload, everything in date order, I always know whatI've had to pay out, and to which customer to deliver their final invoice. Top customers and Top vendors, AWESOME feature, s much information from these two tools can be streamlined, who is happiest with what I do, who do I need to check in with so I don't lose a client, cost per vendor, find a cheaper better way to save money, yet maintain the same level of service I've personally come to expect, always streamlining :) Seriously, this is the greatest app in my arsenal, don't believe me, TRY IT FOR YOURSELVES, Billy really does deserve a 10 star rating.

Cons

There are two things (one I know is happening), and one that would just be a cherry on the cake. The first is currently no way to link UK bank accounts, although I've been told that will appear hopefully Q2 this year, the only other feature I feel is needed, is a personal diary/journal & a personal calendar. I do a lot of meetings, it would be great to integrate new clients and their idea's from the initial meeting as part of the historical process and the calendar because it's always a useful tool to share information with to whoever is working with you. There the only things that for me would make Billy the ultimate app for anyone.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

Hi Trevor, We just updated our bank technology and will likely support your UK bank. Please try to connect it again. -Billy

Bridgette from My Site Marketing

Overall a Great Product

Overall, this is a great product. With exception of the two items listed above, we have been very pleased with Sunrise.

Pros

Sunrise is extremely easy to set up and simplifies most accounting processes. We love how easy it is to upload receipts, even via mobile, and connect them to their relevant expense.

Cons

Still waiting for a recurring bills feature to be added. Like most companies, we have bills that must be paid on a monthly basis. As of yet, there is not a way to set up a recurring expense, so these same bills have to be input manually each month. Another, more recent downside is that the connection to one of my bank accounts stopped working 30 days ago which means I am unable to reconcile transactions without completing a manual download/upload. Thus far, we have been waiting for a reconciliation from Sunrise support for over 3 weeks and each time we've requested an update we are informed they are still trying to get the 3rd Party provider to assist on this.

Kelly from Beautiful by Design, LLC

Perfect for small businesses!

Everyone I have had to talk to was super helpful and there is always help in reconciling or entering information if you need it. The feature of using an accountant to set up your business for a small fee is amazing! I decided to go back to when I first started and for a small fee they are going back to April of last year for me so that all my accounts are set up correctly and I won’t have to worry about if I am doing things right, have I applied a purchase correctly, did I add something that shouldn’t have been added and so on. Super thankful to have this option!

Pros

I like the ease of use in general and the fact it is free is a great help for startup companies like myself.

Cons

I haven’t found anything I don’t like yet.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

It is easier to use and there is help if you need it!

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Wow, thank you, Kelly, for the amazing 5-star review. We are happy to hear that our bookkeepers were able to help you sort out your accounts. We aim to simplify bookkeeping for our small business owners and will continue to improve our product for you. We are lucky to have such wonderful customers like you. Wishing you success and growth with your business. Happy bookkeeping!

Chris from Peak Appraisal Group

Great Program! Simple & Easy to Use

It has helped me exponentially in balancing my books and keeping me on track.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use. As a former quickbooks user, I was tired of how complicated they were for smaller businesses and just didn't like the look of it overall. Using Sunrise is very simple and has everything I need as a small business owner. I love how it integrates and matches my expenses and payments with my bank account, credit card and invoices.

Cons

The only process I found difficult was when I have made a return of a product. Trying to reconcile that was not as simple as I feel it could be.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Wow, Chris, we appreciate you leaving such a glowing review. We aim to take the power of bookkeeping and put it in the hands of our customers in a simple and easy-to-use platform. Instead of hours trying to figure out your bookkeeping, we want to give you back that time, so you can focus on growing your business. Truly, we are lucky to have such wonderful customers like yourself. Thanks again for the feedback.

Francis from Lead Eight Marketing

Great Small Business All-in-one solution

Overall my experience with Sunrise has been great. I was skeptical at first but can see how this product has helped my small business.

Pros

Ease of use. The interface is easy and very accessible. Workflows and billing are simple. I don't need a professional accountant to help me get used to this software.

Cons

Pre-set settings or personalization features a bit lacking in the interface. For example, if I am looking at all my invoices, I want to see the fiscal year only. But whenever I go to that page, it shows me the full history of things which I don't prefer.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Thank you, Francis! We are thrilled you enjoy the interface and ease of Sunrise. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping. We strive to do better for our customers and will take your personalization suggestion to our Product Development team. Thank you again for your awesome review!

Intuitive, easy to set up and use!

I have yet to truly tap into the Sunrise features for my own business, but love the invoicing features, and am looking forward to converting everything over soon.

Pros

Sunrise offers even better features and functionality for my small business than QuickBooks online, and for a fraction of the cost!

Cons

My accountant is not interested in learning to use Sunrise. She is a Quickbooks expert, so I still have to keep my bookkeeping there and currently only use the invoicing features in Sunrise. I would really like to switch, however.

Art from Art Remnet Smart Marketing Coach Mastermind Mentor

Industry: Publishing

Easy to use Accounting Foundation, Impressive Road Map

Billy is a small business accounting lifesaver. I love how Billy saves me time in day-to-day operations and keeps me compliant with my books. My accountant even loves Billy (and she used to recommend that "books" software). Thank you Billy!

Pros

For the first time in 20+ years accounting is not a frustrating and overly expensive task. Billy has provided my companies a easy to use and nearly complete solution that does not cost a fortune or hold me hostage. Using Billy has saved me countless hours each month for the past 18 months. It's streamlined and logical workflows, dead simple invoicing, and reasonable fees make Billy a real winner for small business.

Cons

The only gotcha with Billy is their integration with PayPal accounts is not as clean as it could be. The company is on the right track and should have this issue resolved shortly. The support team at Billy has been fantastically helpful and understanding. They not only know accounting, they know how to help people.

Andres from AndresVernazza.com

Great tool but needs some improvement

I definitely like the tool, but it needs some improvements in terms of giving more control over the numbers to the users. Delete, void, etc.

Pros

I loved it once they connected the banks integration. This makes it very easy to do a reconciliation with your bank. The interface is great, and the reporting works good too.

Cons

It should be more customizable and we should be able to remove "unreconciled entries". Currently the only way to remove those is by uploading a .csv file which make is very time consuming to get everything up to date. Also we should be able to break a payment into different customers. For instance, I import payments from Stripe, but I have to attribute all the payments to the same person because of Billy limitations.

Leonardo from Wolff Consultoria

Easy to use Bookkeeping tool

Pros

This tool was previously called Billy, but since Lendio bought it they changed the name to Sunrise. Not just the name changed, customer support improved a lot and the tool have more options. It's worth nothing that this tool will only working for people that are US-based. The double entry booking is the same used by Quickbooks and software like it. It's possible to attach receipts, invoice customers and charge them using Stripe, Square, PayPal and other payment gateways. It's a very powerful app, yet, simple

Cons

It would be nice to see recurring payments, a set and forget to charge customers that are on subscriptions. Support told me they will add it soon!

Sam from Tiki Sam's Pizza

Easy to Use

Great overall experience

Pros

I can churn out a quote in no time. The automation is awesome - great value for the money.

Cons

Sometimes quotes will disappear and automatically archive for some reason. Some of the features are buried deep and require looking around. Desperately needs a mobile app

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

Seemed to be better and wave kept crashing

Response from Lendio

Replied April 2020

Sam, we are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to invoicing and bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Our product team has been working hard on developing an app and should launch very soon. I will make sure your feedback gets in the hands of our development team. Thank you for the awesome review.

Kristina from 760 Dumpsters

Awesome Software

For the most part, they have always been very accommodating and respond quickly.

Pros

It’s easy to use, allowing the use of many features or just a few without affecting the overall end result.

Cons

There was a change recently made where now you can’t approve an invoice without sending it to the customer first.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

User friendliness and support team was better.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

We are thrilled you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise, Kristina. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the glowing review.

Carolyn from Self-Employed

An accounting tool with a lot of potential

Pros

First and foremost, I really appreciate that the development team are working so hard to make their users happy and constantly improve this tool. I purchased this tool last summer during an Appsumo sale knowing that I would probably need to wait a little while to implement Billy into my business. At the time, it didn't offer features that I required for invoicing, tax management and bookkeeping. I implemented this tool a little over a month ago and have been fairly happy since then. The dashboard is easy to navigate and once I got the hang of how to properly account for multiple currencies it was even easier. I've reached out several times to support and have typically received prompt responses, though they are not always helpful (received links to help pages without images or tutorial videos that definitely used to have those support tools embedded). As with most support teams, patience is important. Overall, I think Billy has the potential to be a really great small biz accounting tool and I've decided to stick around because of this. My plan is to reassess the software and how it is meeting my needs at the end of 2018 and decide if this is still the right fit for my business.

Cons

I really, really need the ability to add and track multiple tax lines. I'm in the process of figuring out a workaround, but it will likely mean tracking some of my income through a separate tool. I also wish that the weekly office hour meetings (or a summary) could be made available in an archive for those that can't attend.

I really like it but,,

Pros

One of the most wonderful intuitive accounting software in the world, very good and great features especially for tracking​ invoices and payments. However, they suddenly​ stopped supporting the worldwide​ customer and just accept the north Ameria countries, even they asked their current customers from the other countries to stop their subscription​ and to move to another company!!

Cons

They have an App for registering the expenses from bill and invoices directly from your phone, very useful​ especially when using the camera from the App to confirm the bills.

Andrew from Route 9 Studios

Industry: Music

Great software so far, a few more features would make it incredible.

This software immediately boosted my credibility and respect from my clients from the first one I sent an invoice to. Extremely user friendly and is a time saver for sure.

Pros

Cons

A mobile app would make simple invoices ten times easier, and also a few others that I have recommended to the team. Only time will tell if they end up being developed.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Andrew, thank you for your amazing 5-star review. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping and invoicing. Look out for a new and improved app in the near future. Thank you for the wonderful feedback!

Ed from Healthcare

A simple solution that inexpensively provides all the functionality of the big guys

I really like the electronic invoice transmittal - it adds a lot of validity to my company, as does the ability to pay electronically.

Pros

Billy is very easy to use, with lots of tutorials to help you set it up correctly, the first time. As a cloud-based solution, it can be accessed from anywhere, on any platform. It has all the functionality needed in an accounting platform, at a very inexpensive price. The team is constantly developing/tweaking areas within the application, providing even more functionality while making it even easier to use.

Danny from Clean 4 You Services

Excellent accounting service

Learning more about accounting procedures that more than meet our business model.

Pros

I already have and will continue to recommend this service to all I know, because of the unlimited ability within this accounting software I’m only beginning to understand. Thank you Sunrise.

Cons

Free service with power tool, with software Friendly interface. Wish there was a bit more customer service availability, via phone.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

Power of there software to create invoices, and link accounts.

Response from Lendio

Replied April 2020

Thank you for your review, Danny. We've taken note of your feature suggestion and we will make sure it gets in the hands of our product development team. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping for our customers, not make it more complicated. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Johnathan from Clickitivity, Inc

Simple, But Powerful

I'm extremely satisfied with my decision to switch to Billy. I've been using the software for a little over two months. I've developed some pros that I thought set Billy apart from some its competitors. Additionally, I've provided some cons to make people aware. PROS: - Ridiculously easy to use. - The ability to reconcile -- most invoicing and billing softwares do not have this, and if they do, it's extremely complicated and hard to use. - Customer portal (where customers can see past and current invoices -- paid, outstanding, and overdue) - Recurring invoices - Automatically import bills into billy by forwarding them to a Billy email address - AMAZING customer service. All of the questions and concerns I've had have been addressed extremely quickly. CONS: - Some features are lacking While Billy has a ton of amazing features, there are some features that they lack. See below: - There is no CC option when sending recurring or regular invoices. In order to send to more than one person, you need to manually choose the contact and send. This can be extremely inconvenient for people who have a lot of recurring invoices that get sent regularly to more than one contact within an organization. - It's a pain to reconcile batch invoices. If you have any sort of payment gateway that batches transactions into one lump sum (stripe), it's a little time consuming to reconcile. Evan generously provided me with a guide on how to do it, but it takes quite a bit of extra work than it does with normal transactions. - There are no recurring bills. If you have bills that you usually get every month, you need to manually put them in each time you get them. - There is no option to take out Billy branding within the invoices you send.

Sunny from NewPulse Studios

Easy to use, but unsure of it's future

Overall, I have enjoyed using Billy, especially when I was just starting my business. I have been trying out all the major competitors lately, and was surprised that most miss some of the multi-currency features Billy has (other than the exchange rate issue). I would consider continuing to use Billy, but I am concerned about its future development. It feels more like a 1-2 man show that is just trying to keep its head above water, as opposed to software that is going to get better over time.

Pros

- Quick, easy to use interface - Really easy to match imported transactions, even with foreign currencies - Easily account for transfer fees, unlike other accounting software - Handles multi-currency well, other than one fairly significant thing (see con list)

Cons

- exchange rate for foreign currency transactions is based on date of input, not date of transaction (this can be a big deal when reporting your taxes. Definitely let your accountant know) - having issues with a certain bank feed - can only have one live Paypal feed, meaning you can't associate different Paypal currencies with different accounts

Randall from Tennessee Schools Reporting Services LLC

Sunrise is a Good Free Alternative to Hiring a Bookkeeper

As i said, the ability to create and send invoices solved a big problem for me. I can also track them and mark them paid in just a few minutes rather than paying someone else $100 or more monthly.

Pros

I found Sunrise while looking for a simple means of creating and sending invoices to school systems, and the software definitely made that easy for me. After spending an hour or two working with various options involving things like Google Docs and MS Word, I was very pleased to have an invoice created and sent within the first 10 or 15 minutes of using Sunrise. The orientation and customer support are also outstanding. The Sunrise Success Team reached out to me as soon as I signed up, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided a great intro to Sunrise. He also found answers to a couple of technical questions I had.

Cons

The cons have to do with my ignorance of standard bookkeeping practices, especially the double-entry system. Wrapping my mind around that was a struggle, and I still don't have all my entries in the correct place. (I don't have a ton of entries, so I prefer my spreadsheet for tracking things right now.)

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

Reviews of Sunrise rated it highly, and the fact it was free made me try it first. The ease of working with invoices has kept me with it.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Randall, we are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the glowing review.

Free invoicing software

I've been using it for 5+ years to invoice my clients.

Pros

I love that I can keep track of all my invoices, let clients pay with credit card or PayPal, and send invoices customized with my branding.

Cons

Honestly there's not much I dislike about it. Of course I don't use it for accounting, only invoicing, because it has limited functionality with accounting.

Super simple quoting and invoicing

Pros

I've used a few different billing software platforms, and I actually quite like Billy. At first I thought it was a little bit too basic, but I soon realized that I don't need it to do anything complicated, and the simplicity is actually a nice change. I bought a lifetime deal on the software when it first came out, I don't think that's still available, but I like the fact that there is no monthly fee (at least for me).

Cons

There are a couple of things that I don't like much. The first is that I'd like to be able to present my invoice and bills on my own domain, instead of a having a customer click on billyapp.com. The second is that I'm unsure of the delivery rate for invoices and quotes that are emailed from the Billy platform. I've had a number of clients say they never got a quote or invoice from me, so I usually download a copy and send directly from my own email. It could just be user error, so take that with a grain of salt.

Matthew from Matthew Rupp Consulting

Customer service was terrible. Very frustrating. Tried hard to make it work for several days

Pros

Looks pretty. Wish I could have used it. Looks amazing from the surface. Customer support was terrible.

Cons

I don't know WHEN I have more frustrated with a companies 'service'. VERY frustrated. I was excited about this deal and jumped right on it. I tried syncing with my Cap One Spark business account (from my phone) and it didn't work so I emailed asking if this really wasn't an option. I got a list of 9501 banks emailed to me NOT in alphabetical order. What am I supposed to do with that? I tried the chat option and explained when I added my cap one account it pulled in my PERSONAL banking details and not my business accounts which made no sense. They told me to talk to cap one, which I did. Then I tried adding my business account info again and it kept reverting back to my previously synched personal accounts. Frustrating. So I went ahead and added my personal bill account and then deleting it and hoping that would work. Nope. I tried calling over and over and it was always busy. They take forever to respond on chat and were not helpful at all. I finally got ahold of them and they said they dont have phone support. Free support Email: support@billyapp.com Phone: (800) 241-7365 Help center: www.billyapp.com/support That's right on the dashboard when new users sign in. I get ahold of them via chat and Joshua suggesting 'bombing' the account and starting over which I did. He said 24 hours later I could try again and hopefully it would work that time. Even though nobody did anything to help it work the next time but maybe so. Here we are over 24 hours later and, of course, it pulls up my personal (not business) info. I give up. Incredibly frustrated by the terrible response, being sent a list of 10k sites to dig through, being given a number they DON'T answer, having chat and not being very available.

Julie from Velky Consulting

Keeping track of my business finances is a breeze

It's easy to stay on top of bookkeeping so I constantly know where the company is at and I feel more prepared heading into tax season every year.

Pros

The Sunrise dashboard makes it easy to keep a pulse on my business finances when I need to make investment decisions and manage daily operations.

Cons

I wish I could customize the email template for sending invoices. I'd like to set the subject line and body text.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Julie, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Sunrise does give users the ability to customize their subject lines and body text in their invoices. Here is a help video on how to create and send an invoice: https://support.sunriseapp.com/en/articles/3372187-sending-invoices-on-sunrise. Thank you for the glowing review.

John from John Shea

Great invoicing software

The customer service has been good, the software just plain works.

Pros

I have been using this application for a couple of years now (it was bought out and originally had a different name) I like that it's easy to create recurring invoices and retain client information for collecting payments.

Cons

At one point customers got rebilled all of a sudden and normally that was not a functionality that existing in the invoicing tool. It's actually a good feature but I didn't expect that to happen and it caught one of my clients off guard.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

Originally it was a deal on Appsumo and was a one time price.

Gary from Growth Dynasty

Has excellent potential but still has some way to go!

It makes complex accounting simple.

Pros

Billy provides a simple solution for accounting that is specifically designed for freelancers and agencies. It has a great user interface and is very easy to use. It is solid and I have never had a problem with.

Cons

The fact that key features have taken so long to evolve. I am talking about no PayPal integration and the fact that bank syncing has only just arrived in my country. The most annoying thing is that whilst key features are lagging behind the team are investing users money in having season Billy logos designed, which quite frankly is ridiculous. Their community management needs work as well.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

Hi Gary, You didn't like our pumpkin head Billy face :(

James from RocketstarMedia

An Amazing Alternative to Other Accounting Programs

I have really simplified my workflow using Billy. It's been a great tool to use to set up recurring invoices for some of my clients.

Pros

What I like the most about Billy is the ease of use. It's simple to get started and get your bank accounts set up and create invoices, quotes, etc.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is that I have two businesses that I use Billy with and because it's cloud based I have to log into two differnt accounts, one with chrome and the other with firefox. It makes it complicated if you have more than one business as you will need different log-ins and subscriptions. It would be awesome if they could expand it to contain multiple businesses with the ability to simply click on the business name and change to another business.

Response from Billy

Replied September 2018

Hi James, You can actually have one account with multiple organizations. With that setup, you can have one login for all of your orgs. Please contact our support to help you set that up.

Mark from Tiago Financial Consulting LLC

Perfect Solution for Small Businesses

I have loved the Sunrise service and functionality. Quickbooks is overkill for my size of business, but Sunrise gives me the perfect level of sophistication yet simplicity.

Pros

The Financial Statements produced each month are super helpful to let me know where the business stands, and made tax season so easy and stress freed. All my income and expenses were in the right accounts and summarized for easy entry into Turbo Tax.

Cons

I would like recurring transactions, like my mortgage payment, that are the same amounts each month or from the same vendors to be auto-classified for me. I would also like to be able to classify expenses as they occur via a mobile app for Sunrise.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Hi Mark, thank you for your wonderful review. We are thrilled you enjoy the financial reporting tools within Sunrise. We have a lot of exciting new product developments coming your way, especially around our mobile app. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Rocio from Fisheye Journeys

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

The best bookkeeping software

Pros

It is simple and easy to use and integrates with many other softwares.

Cons

I can't go back and check the date that the payment was entered if it was not made directly by the customer.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

The great reviews, price and ease of use

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Thank you, Rocio. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping and continue to improve our product. Thank you for your review, and happy bookkeeping.

Hauke from Eurohome

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Simple Billing Software

Simple invoice creating. We have an accounting software in the background but that one is not that user friendly for invoicing customers.

Pros

(We don't use the accounting features so the focus is on the billing features). It is very easy to create a professional-looking invoice and share it with the customer instantly via email. It's simple to use, user-friendly and self-explanatory.

Cons

One feature that I would like to see is that I can go to the products overview and see all the invoices that have one of these products on it. In addition, it would be nice to be able to select certain products and bulk-change products (for example, increase pricing on all items selected by 2%).

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

ratio of $ to value that you receive.

Response from Lendio

Replied May 2020

Thank you for your positive feedback. Sunrise strives to make creating and sending professional-looking invoices to customers as seamless and stress-free as possible. We're glad to hear that you found the process effective! Unfortunately, we do not have the bulk-change product items capabilities yet, but we've brought the suggestion to our product team. However, if you want to change a product price and have it reflected across all invoices, go to Settings > Product > click to edit a product. Please reach out to us if you have any additional questions. Thanks!

Angelos from ASP SFAKIANAKIS

I have "install" Billy to my clients. No worries from then!

Loyalty from my clients, Easy access to help and advice them for they everyday matters. Clean data with easy exports for further analysis.

Pros

Simplicity, clean interface and free customizing of Chart of accounts. Lot options for exporting in xls format (i love excel).

Cons

It have some minor things about local settings and shortcuts but it minor things! Thanks to friendly support i don't worry.

Edward from Hong Kong Baptist University

Billing Clients made Simple and Easy

I just love Billy. The name is great. The interface design is great. And it is easy to generate and track invoices.

Pros

Billy has such a memorable name yes, it is for billing. I love the ease of creating invoices and Billy does the hard job of accounting and tracking. Plus,

Cons

New features are rolling out too slow. Perhaps, I live in a place where there is no sale tax. However, the invoices created by Billy must include a lot stating Tax = 0 dollar in the past which just was got rid of lately.

Jan from Bear Web Content

Industry: Writing and Editing

Easy to use and reliable

I'm a solo freelancer who does all my own billing. I'm happy to have such a simple solution because it saves me time and headaches.

Pros

I've been using Billy for more than a year now. It's very easy to use and reliable. It meshes seamlessly with Stripe (and other payment processors, but I don't use them). When I've had occasion to contact customer service (once or twice), they've been quick to answer my question. Note: There are online accounting features to the software that I don't use, because I prefer to use my own spreadsheets. Nothing against Billy, but I choose not to use them.

Cons

I'm really reaching here, but it can be difficult to find where to go to change the wording of their default emails. I've had to drop a note in the customer service chat to be reminded how to do that. And the answer came back quickly.

Accounting for Non-Accountants

This helps me be more efficient and keep track of my accounts a bit better. I am still not utilizing all the features correctly or to their fullest but have hopes to get there. The key thing for me was being able to get up and going quickly and if not using all the features to at least have them more complex and dual entry accounting options available

Pros

I bought Billy because I needed an affordable, easy to use system for my Freelance business. This was easy enough for me to set up, includes room for me to grow with it's extended features and is something I can hand over to an accountant when I am ready. I love that I can collect payment from the invoice and take many forms of payment

Cons

I just an not a numbers accounting person and really dislike this stuff so I procrastinated on set up items that will help me and iddn't utilize help docs as much as I shoulda

Anthony from NextAct Cinema

SURPRISE

I will say I have been over impressed with Sunrise and my bookkeeper [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] . As other businesses right now are probably thinking, how do I get the data, continue to pay for ancillary services like Sunrise, do I get rid of it? We are nervous and scared about our small business on a regualr basis. I will day Sunrise has stepped up and been a huge help in this regard. The partnership with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been so amazing and so needed In these times when all I am thinking about is how do I keep this business open and what are our numbers saying. Again I was so torn about keeping this service because how we pay for this during these times but it there is one area I'm happy we decided to keep its Sunrise.

Pros

The ability to populate the data in a time right now accurately and time is super important. This has been very helpful

Cons

so far so good. I am constantly looking for faults. I would like to see the mobile application much more user friendly and accessible.

Reasons for Choosing Sunrise

The monthly fixed service charge was competitive and comparable.

Response from Lendio

Replied April 2020

Thank you, Anthony, for your amazing 5-star review. We strive to assist business owners in the best way possible. This means making our tool intuitive and reliable. We are so happy to hear that your bookkeeper was able to organize your accounts quickly and thoroughly. We are lucky to have her on our team. Thank you again for your feedback.

Better than quickbooks, but still not the best

I've used quickbooks, freshbooks, xero. Billyapp does fill in the gap, but some extra features (mentioned in the cons) will make it #1

Pros

Simple and fully functional accounting & billing system that has multi-currency invoicing

Cons

Doesn't have recurring expenses, unable to generate customer statements, unable to apply a discount % or amount in an invoice. Website is not mobile responsive. app name "billyapp" sounds 'Naff', when i tell clients to check their email for our invoicing system sent from "billapp"... Could I use my own custom domain or you use another domain to send emails?

Response from Billy

Replied November 2018

You are able to create customer statements and apply discounts to invoices. Please contact our support for help.