• Pros

• "I love this software. I use it every day to edit and format Test, XML, JSON and other files, search folders, check code syntax, and keep project notes. It's fast, unobtrusive and very useful."

• "EASY to use. I LOVE the plugins, this is had been so helpful for me. Great step up from regular Notepad. My favorite is the Preview html plug and probably autosave. "

• "I love everything about this app. It's free to download, stable, has a ton of features, and is frequently updated."

• Cons

• "The UI is a bit dull and it can be improved to a great extent. Other than that, it's a great product. "

• "This software, although quick and easy to use, lacks a certain amount of versatility and certain options."

• "Can be a little slow to initially load at times. But other than that I have nothing but praises for this software"

Browse Notepad++ Reviews

Fernando from Pelissari Gestão e Tecnologia

My partner!

This is my daily partner. I love Notepad++ and I can't live anymore without it.

Pros

I have so much to say about it, but I'll try to be short. I use it every single day, to read simple text files, edit CSV when other tools hide some problems, edit source codes of many different languages, view HEX (hexadecimal) representation of some binary files, paste text to use later, edit texts without formatting, convert base64 strings, check UTF-8 files and even play tetris. Yes you have a lot of plugins to do whatever you need!

Cons

Sometimes when you do a search and replace operation in a very large file (100MB or larger), apart of the very long processing time, you may end up with a broken file. And even if you undo the operation with CTRL+Z, the file will not return to its original state, you must close without save to preserve the file. But that is not a problem you should consider because it is not so common to edit such a big file. You can also do the operation in blocks, it works then.

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

I guess Notepad++ is more convenient, also I like more its interface. You have too much power with Notepad++ and its plugins, I am very used to it.

Jeff from Animal Necessity

Industry: Veterinary

NotePad++ Checks All The Boxes

We've been using NotePad++ for 15 years now, and it's become our staple for everyday coding.

Pros

We use NotePad++ every single day coding our internal CMS systems. Everything we use is custom built in-house, and NotePad++ is our editor of choice. The language strings are clearly defined (the colors are super nice), and the customizable ability of literally everything (including viewpoint) is easy to implement and toggle. We even have added additional SpellCheck settings which have helped (the default is British). Their backup methods is amazing, too - literally able to keep a core backup of every file for iterations upon saving.

Cons

Practically nothing. Very rarely the software crashes when you load a new file, but thankfully that's super rare - and it's only upon upload (so no changes have been made yet).

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

Simplicity of use and language colors were much better.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Dreamweaver was too complex and also keep having issues connecting properly to FTP.

A fairly niche text editor

Notepad++ was a great tool that I heavily relied on when I was starting to configure and run scripts. Nowadays, I find myself using this program less often, as it offers fewer features than other IDEs.

Pros

Notepad++ can be easily dropped in as a replacement for Windows Notepad. It works and looks identically to Notepad, only that it supports more files and has more features. For those that are less tech savy, I think Notepad++ is an easy replacement for Notepad, even if you don't need to use all its features.

Cons

For developers, it's hard to justify using Notepad++ for much. Other developer-focused IDEs offer vastly enhanced feature sets and quality of life improvements for editing code/config files, while also performing the same functions as Notepad++. The UI of Notepad++ also seems dated.

Mohammad Iqbal from MIKS Company

Notepad++ - Remix of notepad for programmers

I am happy to have it as a replacement of classic notepad for writing and editing the codes for many programming languages.

Pros

It is a free editor compatible to support many programming languages with good set of basic features. It is available to download in x86 and x64 versions to install on windows. It is a good replacement of notepad. The portable editions makes it more useful to carry it on portable storage devices and use anywhere without requiring to install.

Cons

The features are limited to the basic in category but being a free editor it is ok. The user interface of the application is like very old software. It is not available for any operating system other than windows.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

I was seeking for lighter and portable editor.

Oleksandr from PVD Technology

I have been using it as an IDE for over 10 years

I am ashamed to admit, but I have been programming in Notepad ++ for over 10 years. I've tried many IDEs and none of them suits me for ease of use. So I continue to use this tool, although there are many things that are not needed.

Pros

There is all the necessary minimum set of functions that a developer needs. When you learn hotkeys, there are even more possibilities. And having figured out how to connect and use plugins, Notepad ++ will become an assistant in any activity.

Cons

There are not many features that full-fledged IDE's have, especially the debug window and code autocorrect. You can put up with this, of course, but they are not enough.

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

it's simple to use and have a minimum required set of functions to support coding

Kyle from P&P Oil & Gas Solutions

Industry: Oil & Energy

A good mid-point between notepad and visual studio.

I like it. I use it at least once a week. It has made spotting problems in my markup easier, and is faster to load than visual studio - it just opens and is ready to go.

Pros

It's free, it's simple, it works. It can highlight segments like VS does, but feels like a simple notepad application - unlike VScode.

Cons

The search functionality. I have to clean up a lot of markup (XML / HTML / PHP), and the find functionality is a little weird, ad could be easier to use.

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

It's just simpler. It may not be pretty, but it gets the job done quickly.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

I wanted something more robust than notepad, but simpler to get into than VS. So a college recommended Notepad++.

Nibaruta from Purple Sky Technology Inc.

lightest n best html editor

Fast to deploy and install on almost every pc/laptop with no issue. helps in editing files quicker than many editors that are there in the market

Pros

If you know what you doing and require the lightest HTML/code editor notepad++ is N0 1. installs in just min, doesn't take space, and ready to go in a sec. been my favorite forever. It has updates on a regular basis and no bugs. Cheers

Cons

I would really say I don't see any cons. It does what it was meant to do, actually, I would say more. satisfied user

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

fast to deploy, light to use, bugs free, amazing navigation

Daniel from Sage

Editor plus than notepad

We used this tool in the past to manage XML files and configuration files from different systems.

Pros

This editor is easy to use with a lot of text edition and advance capabilities. It is a light in the CPU consume and also, have the possibility to add plugins with additional functions. It has support for some development code and file extensions.

Cons

This is an application for Windows only. Nevertheless, for me, it is the only problem of the tool.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

We use currently the VS Code to do the same that we do with Notepad++. One of the causes to do it is, the capability to use the VS Code in different SO such as Linux.

Taylor from Intelligence Pursuit Inc

My go-to text editing application

I use this software everyday. Edit code, compare files, column editing modes, to format old SQL that was written by past employees that had sloppy formatting. It is amazing and it's free.

Pros

Lots of helpful plugins. Compare files. SQL formatter. Syntax highlighting for all coding languages. Column editing modes.

Cons

What is there not to like about free software that does everything I need it to?

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Because Notepad++ did everything we used UltraEdit for except it was free.

Niladri from Superbyte

Notepad++ is Feature-packed, but the UX needs improvement.

Notepad++ is really a great software for programmers or developers considering the features and the speed. It almost never lags or crashes. I use this most of the time when I code. But if I have to write an article or maybe a letter I shall use some other text editor because of the UI.

Pros

The software is pretty lightweight yet full of features. It has most of the options a programmer needs to write codes such as Macros, various Plugins, etc. Also, you can directly run programs in a browser with just one click. Another good thing is code-formatting and white space management. When you define your language, it automatically formats your code properly.

Cons

The UX is what bothers me a little about Notepad++. First of all, the interface is pretty dull and way too simple when compared with its competitors.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Because Notepad++ is lighter and faster than Sublime.

Not a simple Text Editor

This is my preferred tool for daily activities. I use it to compare 2 text files (something really useful), also to take notes (as the primary objective of this tool), to read code (it has support to several coding languages), to read JSON files (by far, my preferred functionality).

Pros

There's a large number of really useful features in this application that can serve many different use purposes. The three major strengths I see in this tool are: - The powerful onboard features (check how many options are there on the default menu bar. The search function is really flexible, with the mark functionality onboard that help us to identify words or even lines to be fully replaced or deleted). Another really nice one is the shift+alt+click functionality to make dynamic selection of texts. Also, special mention to the auto-save feature of multiple files (usually, I keep on more than 30 opened files at same time). - The facility to install and start using it (it is straight forward as any text editor should be) and, the stability combined with low use of system resources (as earlier mentioned, even with +30 opened files simultaneously, performance never drops). - The large variety of available plugins that make it this tool capable to assume many different roles such as a text editor, a JSON file analyzer, a XML analyzer, a code editor, a two-text files comparison tool...

Cons

For some features, we have so many options that it may be confusing for new users. For instance, I keep on forgetting how to mark and delete some lines because despite the mark functionality appears on the search bar, the remove functionality is hidden under search-bookmark option.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

The number of extra features in Notepad++

Love to work with this editor

1) It's easy to use 2) Handy software editor for improving your work performance and skills. 3) Advanced version from windows default notepad editor. 4) Auto save file feature. 5) Technical updates are available on approx monthly basis. What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized? 1) I am using this tool for storing my important data on daily basis. Like I have written some daily used data in a text file. So whenever I have to add new content of the day then i added in this file. In case i forget to save that data then it's automatically keep my data is safe. So i no need to save again an again. 2) Opening programming file of C#,Html,Java script, c etc language. 3)Analysis logs of software project in organization. 4)Used this editor tool for learn Python language. 5)Easy to use and every text is having line no. So it's easy to find any info on particular line. 6)Giving multiple tab opening function for multiple file opening at a time. 7) I love more in this tool is Auto save of file.

Pros

1) I like auto save function in notepad++.It's giving advance feature on normal notepad. 2) Any programming language development we can do. Because it's supporting every type of file extension. 3) Easy for find character length, Line no and search. 4) We can install some extra plug in for use like If we want to install JSON type plugin then we do . 5)More control on files. Like Colors and comments are also manageable in this editor. 6) More frequent updated are available. 7)Intellisense also working for particular programming or typing a text.

Cons

I am using this tool from last 5 year. But Still not such an issue. In case of large file of txt. It's not able to open. So we can say this need to improve. Like it's not able to open 1GB size txt file.

Andrei from JeFawk Games

Industry: Computer Games

Great free text editor with font limitations and a less than modern look

Notepad++ increased the productivity of my small studio by having a free, fast, and lightweight tool to use that always got the job done compared to other free applications such as Notepad(cannot open large files) and Wordpad(for writing documents, not code). The macros and different styles of multi-selection saved me a lot of time when doing repetitive tasks. It was great for me for modifying files such as HTML, JS, CSS without having to download specific software. As long as the user has an idea about the programming language, for small changes and IDE is not required and this is where Notepad++ comes into play. The interface is a drawback but I just went along with it. The backups saved me a few times (can specify to auto-backup every few seconds!). Notepad++ is also my note writing program due to the tabbing system they have.

Pros

I've been using Notepad++ for around 8 or more years and I don't see myself moving away from it anytime soon. I can't remember a time when I thought Notepad++ was not a good choice. It's an amazingly sturdy text editor with support for an enormous amount of programming and markup languages yet very lightweight and on top of everything, completely free! Working with a lot of log files my first goto software to open them was the usual Notepad which quickly reminded me that big text files will just freeze it. Notepad++ however doesn't have any of those issues. It's like Window's Notepad on steroids. Plugins are a big thing in Notepad++ but I must admit I never found any reason to use them. For extensive work however I'm sure they can come in handy. Notepad++ excels at automating repetitive tasks with the use of the Macro feature and column mode. This made fixing spreadsheets really easy. It can also be easily integrated in WinSCP for small changes in remote files and even if the connection drops, Notpad++ will have backups of the files. The tab support is very handy especially that as a browser, it can be selected to open up with the same tabs as last time. The automatic backup is invaluable for unlucky situations. At some point my computer crashed and next time I opened Notepad++ the tabs were gone to my despair (had very useful info in them and I had no idea where they were saved) but I quickly found them in the backup folder.

Cons

The font limitations are somewhat of a problem as these can only be changed globally. I have yet to find a way (and I did search quite some time) how I could make certain text in Bold or Italic. The average answer I find redirects me to use different software because Notepad++ "is just a text editor" when it has more features than some paid IDEs. The interface of Notepad++ looks very outdated making the program look like a Windows 98 application even though it gets updated very frequently. On top of this, the icons under the toolbar for quick actions are very small. Still related to the interface, even though it's customizable up to some degree, it feels very cluttered. A lot of features stacked side by side that most people will probably never use. The menu with drop down submenus is also huge containing out of the box things like "Encoding" , "Run", "Window" and my favourite "?" which has the about section, the API section and other program related FAQ buttons. Again, related to the interface, some dropdown menus have huge options in them making the dropdown menu ridiculously wide. Updates are good, right? Well not if the software wants to update every 3 days! Out of the box, Notepad++ would like to update at least 2 times a week and when working on different devices at different rates, the update pop-up can become downright annoying. This can be disabled however. I have not found a way to adjust the frequency it looks for updates so right now it's either On or Off.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Too limited and too slow. Notepad was just not cut up for opening larger files and was lacking a lot of features that I needed, even for small documents.

A must have editor

Basically it is more than an editor. It has quite a lot of very useful and important features which overall reduces cost and effort in any industry. The fact it supports a lot of languages makes it even more useful. I think this is a must have tool.

Pros

I used Notepad++ almost on daily basis while doing testing of various softwares. It's a very simple to use tool, you don't need any instructions to use it. The interface infact id user friendly. Some of the features which i liked the most The data is saved on the go, you don;t have to save it explicitly. You know how much significance this holds to a software person. Mutiple tabs along with option of multiple views in Notepad++. This is extremely useful while comparing files (ask a tester how it makes life simpler:) ) When testing fixed file formats the highlighting of line and column number is very useful. It also highlights the text selected in the whole file which is another interesting feature. The option to search anything in all the opened files; simple but very important feature. The replace option has extended feature where you can make use of '/n' etc. Syntax highlighting and support for various languages; I had to deal with a lot of XML and HTML files. This tool made my life easy. The support, answers to queries is good and pretty fats.

Cons

There is nothing much which I didn't liked about Notepad++. It's basically an editor and it fulfills all the features a editor should have. If you are using it for programming you'll surely find some difficulties there.

Gokul from Cognizant

Notepad++ V7.7.1

I am using this Notepad++ as an developer for past 6 years right from 2013. As an developer and support person in my project I used to have lot of SQL insert commands, BCP IN/OUT and other FTP commands to be typed and generated it as an macro for millions of rows. So this software is used to avoid lot of halles in first place. As well since I am an developer this is used to create formatting loop for SQL procedure, functions and views. As well by erroneously if the notepad closed also the next day when we opends it saves the data in the local and we can get started from the place where we left.

Pros

1. Notepad is very good and easy when we are a developer particularly for .HTML, CSS Designs 2. It is an Good IDE when we are using for SQL. It will clearly shows conditional formatting, loops and other contents as required for avoiding compilation errors. 3. The IDE is free in the market and selling for a least dollar amount by Scooter INC., 4. Automatic spell checker and avoiding grammatical things when typing the words. This feature is called "Autocomplete" which suits to HTML and SQL also. 5. Macros also available which is used for any BCP or Insert commands when writing for SQL server coding (T-SQL). 6. Supports N number of languages right from HTML till Java, ASP and VB also. SO formatting is very easy and done at one place rather than having their IDE's when developer develops multiple tings at one place.

Cons

1. Notepad++ is sometimes slower in nature and getting closed automatically without any error messages though it was light weight in nature. 2. For a developer/programmer this is very good however for tech managers and directors this is not a good tool to dealt with since we have lot of paid one in the market with features in the market for any presentations to be performed. Overall disadvantage or CONS is less so nothing to be presented much apart from this.

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

Good for Developer which acts as an IDE for several languages in a single place to use. Example a developer may develop an HTML, JQuery, VB and SQL as an backed. So all formatting can be done at a single place without any hassles.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

We used Ultraedit in our healthcare company however very least function are available and not good for all development. As well if the UE is closed we cant continue or see the past data which will starts from beginning.

Stuart from RDM Group Ltd.

Excellent lightweight text/code editor

Notepad++ is one of my favourite utility programs. It does one thing and does it very well, with intelligent, easy-to-use design. It is an excellent sidekick for programming projects; useful for inspecting files at all stages of an embedded software project, from C++ source to HEX. I have also used it as a main editor for more old-fashioned languages which do not come with an IDE. In this scenario the built-in code highlighting for all common languages (and some not-so-common ones) as well as the rudimentary code completion come in very handy. A great tool!

Pros

Notepad++ is my Swiss Army knife of software; useful for so many things. If I need to quickly open a piece of source code to remind myself how something works (without opening the full project in the IDE), Notepad++ is perfect. I like to open all kinds of files, not just text, with Notepad++ to find out what their internal structure looks like. A lot of proprietary file formats are human-readable and often contain standard elements like XML or INI. Notepad++ has just enough features to be useful, keeping it very lightweight. This helps it start up virtually instantly. A complement to the fast startup time is the Windows context menu entry. This really is fantastic and means if I want to peek inside any file I can simply right-click and 'Edit with Notepad++'. Supports a wide range of plugins if extended functionality is required. I have used and liked the Diff and HEX editing plugins, which were easy to install and worked well. It remembers which files are open when it is closed, meaning I can resume working straight away next time. Tabbed interface works well for a text editor, especially when combined with the Diff plugin.

Cons

Popups which ask if I want to update every time I open the software are annoying and break my workflow, and unfortunately Notepad++ is guilty of this. Really not much apart from that!

Praveen Kunigal from TCS

One of the high quality Notepad.

Overall very happy with this app as it provides very features which are very much required for any IT Engineer.

Pros

There are lots of good features in this, would mention a few here: 1. I can open multiple tabs (no limit), it's very easy to navigate to different tabs whenever needed and easy to close/save tabs any single tab. 2. There is an option to change the Language (like SQL, Java, Unix etc) this would helps me a lot in writing code, SQL queries. 3. Macros: This option helps me while doing any repetitive minor tasks. Using this option we can record the task, and hit a Run Macro to repeat the same task N number of times. Which is really a great feature which I didn't find in any other software. 4. It allows me to reload the file, so I don't have to close and open the file to check updated content. We can also make file to update in real time.

Cons

I installed this app in my personal device too, whenever I open this app everytime it asks me to update the application and when I hit the update button it gets stuck and nothing happens. They have to fix this bug, no other complains pertaining to application behaviour.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Before using this app I was completely relying on Microsoft Notepad which is very difficult to use I was needed to open a new instance everytime, but here in Notepad++ I need not to open a new instance rather I can open a new tab. And many other features weren't there in Microsoft Notepad, so I had to switch to this app.

“A wonderful text editor which achieves enormous tasks”

As a university student, I use the Notepad++ software to edit my codes as it supports a wide variety of programming languages. I am so excited about the awesome features that it has held and I like its user interface which is entirely customizable. In my opinion, it is an amazing text editor that I ever used!

Pros

I have been using this software for about four years and I use this Notepad++ software daily to edit my scripts immediately and to edit some parts of my codes that I have done. I noticed that it supports a lot of programming languages which makes me easy to edit my codes which are from different programming languages such as C++, C, Python, and HTML. One of the features I love most in this Notepad++ software is its autosaving facility while I’m working. It is very essential as when there is a power failure for a long period or unwittingly closes this app. Hence because of this feature, I could continue my work where I have stopped without getting stress. Notepad++ consists of multiple tabs and it is easy and free to use which saves my time a lot. It has a syntax highlighting facility which helps me a lot to identify especially the errors and strings of my code. It saves my internal storage as it does not use much amount of storage. Notepad++ software has many different plugins and supports for macros too. I love the exceptional features accommodate in this Notepad++ software and I recommend this software to use u all.

Cons

Notepad++ software is unable to open files which are usually larger than 50MB and I noticed that it is lagging when these files are opening in this software. I hope in the future this software could use for Linux and Mac users too, as it is now only accessible for MS Windows users. I think it is better to have a modern style which senses like it is a late version. Other than these I didn’t notice many cons of this software.

Amazing Multitool

I have been using Notepad ++ (or N++) for as long as I can think. It basically started in school and i quickly adopted it for my home use too and never stopped using it ever since. You can (probably) open all files and formats that text editors should be able to handle and some more. It is recently being overshadowed by VS code, but i still use both of them side by side, since N++ is still faster for quick edits and i know all the key combos i possibly need. I definitely reccomend to install this on your machine at work and home, since it makes things so much easier compared to the default notepad.

Pros

It can open almost any fileformat to the point where it feels like the VLC of editors. A lot of Programming languages are supported for highlighting out of the box and you can add even more via plugins. Opening files is really quick! Files you have edited are kept even after a shutdown and if the file is removed, unless you save it there are no "saving oopsies " happening.

Cons

Windows only Finding plugins that fit your needs and are still developed for the current version can be really tedious. Sometimes you need to stick with certain N++ versions for compatibility. No autocomplete or Intellisense by default. Finding autocomplete plugins and getting them to work can be tricky and your chances of success are based on how far your language is spread

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

I switched from the windows integrated notepad because of the lack of features and am still loyal to N++ to this day

Kevin from Arklight Development

The first and probably only text editor you need

Chances are that when you were learning to code you would have used either the generic notepad or Notepad++. Notepad++ has been the default for most newcomers and professionals. Although there are superior alternatives nothing can beat the speed and simplicity you can get from Notepad++. I can't stress enough how much its a create starting point. Beginners can create simple files that can be ran in a CLi and results are instant. When I am doing tutorials I make my students use Notepad++ before they even see an IDE. I mostly find myself using it when I tired of using other programs I use. Sure most personal computers as fast enough that even the slowest IDE opens pretty fast but there are some file types where its easier just to open Notepad++ edit and I'm out.

Pros

Its barebones and provides the most basic coding functionality. It recognizes different languages and attempts to color code their respective elements. It launches fast, loads files very fast and saves very fast. It barely uses Ram so you can leave it open while working with other software. It also has various plugins that can add new features.

Cons

Notepad++ is not an IDE so while it can recognize different languages there are no error detection features or code formatting out of the box. There a lot of free text editors that are superior to Notepad++. The barebones nature might not be for everyone. Especially coders who rely on "quality of life" features. Also, it has a very classic look that might put off those who use newer text editors.

Gopal from Accenture

The best text editor out there...

Overall I'm really happy with Notepad++ it helps me get mess sorted out quickly, helps add notes quickly and I can keep it running it in background as it doesn't consume much of cpu power. Syntax highlighting support for many languages has helped me more than few times to identify issues in code or XML without having to run the code.

Pros

Considering the fact that it is just a text editor - I love almost everything about Notepad++. It's fully customize-able, light and almost bug free and on top of that it's fully open sourced & free. Also the availability of so many plugins makes it super awesome. It helps me take notes quickly which are preserved even when I don't save it and can also be sync'd with cloud.

Cons

There's almost nothing to dislike about the features provided with Notepad++, but I wish they add start taking competition seriously and start adding features such as version controlling.

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

For it's light weightiness.

Avijit from Learnabyte

Notepad gets an IDE format !!

I am a programming geek and used to program with the classic notepad, but this gave me a whole feel about programming, I now do all my programming task in this editor and it letting me fulfill my programming needs. The distinct colorings and pointing out of brackets makes it reliable for fast programming. Once you load the execution command, you don't have to type the commands in terminal like in older days.

Pros

First of all its about the upgradation of our favorite classic notepad which was our first code editor we all geeks used. But now this brings a very interactive and makes the classical notepad as an IDE for coding. Best features include, it is rich of interactive plugins where you can run and execute your program. This makes it generalized for many available languages and it has syntax for almost every language. You just need to change the language and the execution command. One of my favorite feature include the SHA256 encoding of a file or text which you can do it instantly in the editor which becomes very useful when coding with encryption. The recording feature, It records your coding writings which you can make a time-lapse after if you are owning a coding channel or doing blogs about programming this is going to help you a lot, because this is light weight than the conventional screen recorder. And how you forget about the attractive themes that makes your coding experience better, this acts as cherry on cake. It has got many themes and twilight is my best.

Cons

While suggesting to my friend i didn't got any version for mac, So he wasn't able to use it. Except this I found nothing not to like about or any missing feature for this lightweight trade.

Mike from Peters Motorsports Designs

Industry: Computer Games

The Gold-standard for Text Editing on Windows

Quick comparison of code revisions without having to make commits to version control, excellent Regular Expression support in the Search and Replace tool.

Pros

From tabbed file editing to syntax styling for nearly every imaginable file format under the sun, Notepad++ has it all and should be in the arsenal of every Windows user, whether you're a full on developer writing code or just an amateur tweaking configuration files! The Search and Replace functionality provides full Regular Expression support, making it extremely powerful to make bulk changes to text based files. A plethora of additional plugins, including Compare (diff), Autosave, and Spell-check, which can be installed and disabled from the built-in Plugin Manager in a snap.

Cons

Absolutely nothing! Lets start a campaign to make Notepad++ the default Windows text editor! Make it happen, Microsoft!

Lucas from Proofreader

Industry: Writing and Editing

The single best combination of least clutter and most features

I usually have one main dump file where I write down fast any idea that comes up when I have to work on something else. Then, I later separate those ideas or tasks into other smaller, more specific lists/files, organized by topic or due date. At the same time, I can be proofreading an article or essay, still on Notepad++, with many other files open, without slowing down even an older computer. The fact that I never had it crash or needed to contact support speaks enough about how polished this software is

Pros

Notepad ++ is a very clean and minimal notes software in its out-of-the-box state, but can handle a lot of more intense jobs if you get to know its features. For me personally, it is essential to have a notepad that is very light, can have many files open at the same time (and not weighing down older machines even with this) and can open the same files I was editing the last time I turned the computer off.

Cons

It is really difficult to pick something to criticize here, as I consider Notepad ++ to be the quintessential notes app, and there is not much that can be done wrong in this kind of app. As stated in the review title, it has the cleanness of a notepad but CAN handle a lot more, with neat features to organize lists or export files. I believe there was never a feature I really needed when working with it that it lacked, never had to seek a different app even for any situational notes-related tasks.

pradeep from Software company

Notepad++

very satisfied with this alternative notepad editor. I did not lose a single unsaved file ever since I started using it.

Pros

Notepad++ is an excellent replacement for the default Windows Notepad even though there are many other free and paid alternatives, Notepad++ I feel is the best option as it gets the job done excellently. The tabbed windows which can be customized, the docswitcher list of files, the plugins are all very useful features to have. When I used Windows notepad and when I laptop crashed (happened few times), I would lose all unsaved information I had typed in notepad, but with Notepad++'s automatic saving of files as backup even if my PC crashes the information I typed has already been saved to the disk. Another useful feature is the ability to create and restore a session where I don't have to open all the files again upon restart. I also like the feature which shows unsaved files using a different icon on file tab.

Cons

This happened a few times where Notepad++ crashed and it messed up my session and corrupted the session file-wish there was some protection from this happening. Also, it would be nice if there was a single install file for both x86 and x64 platforms.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

I lost many unsaved files when I used Windows Notepad when my PC crashed or froze.

Ernesto Enrique from Grupo Tera

The fastest text editor I've ever tried

With notepad ++ I can edit portions of code very quickly thanks to how light and portable it is.

Pros

What I like about Notepad ++ is undoubtedly how fast and light it is. I have used it for more than 8 years and I still use it today because it is the lightest application that exists and I have tried to edit portions of code in my documents. It is open source, so it is free to use and has many options to customize the appearance. In addition, it recognizes practically all the programming languages that exist, which makes it the best option to complement the development environment of my computer.

Cons

The only thing I do not like, even though I've used it for many years, is that it still has the same user interface. I would like to see a new interface, more friendly and modern.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Notepad++ is faster than others

The best upgrade from Windows's native Notepad on the market

Overall, I have found Notepad++ to be an excellent piece of software – it has totally replaced my need to use Windows Notepad to quickly edit scripts and config files, and it is incredibly easy to use. We have now adopted this as the ICT department’s text and code editor of choice due to its features and ease-of-use. It has become part of our daily toolkit and we wouldn’t think twice about moving to another program.

Pros

Notepad++ is a brilliant text and code editor that is compatible with many coding languages right out of the box. It is a free tool that is published under the GPL licence for free use, and is available in both x32 and x64 download packages for Windows. It is a lightweight piece of software that starts up very quickly, and updates are provided frequently to fix bugs and improve performance. There are lots of plugins available to add more complex functionality if required. The UI of Notepad++ is very user-friendly; it features a tabbed-style layout similar to Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, where open files are saved in tabs along the top of the window. Open files are saved when exiting the program and will re-appear when re-opened, so you don’t need to worry about re-opening files when you get back to working. Another useful feature for system admins is the ability to silently install Notepad++ with its MSI installer and switches.

Cons

During my time using Notepad++ I have run into very few cons for the software. The biggest drawback is probably the lack of paid support subscriptions; there is only online support available through the Notepad++ website, although I haven’t required any support yet as the software is so easy to use. Occasionally the ‘check for updates’ tool will pop up to notify of a new version which can be somewhat annoying, but this can be disabled in settings if required.

Caleb from Transparent BPO

Notepad++ - a powerful text editor

It has been a superb experience ever since I discovered and began using this nifty software....will loving the experience.

Pros

Notepad++ is a free alternative to many paid code editors on the market, but what makes the difference is the fact that is is packed with features you find on many paid versions. It has support for approximately 27 different programming languages, supports syntax highlighting and folding, searches regular expressions, synchronized edits and views and many many more. Another solid feature is the option to set Notepad++ not to use %APPDATA%, instead you can have it write or load config files from the installation directory which comes in super handy when you have the need to run it from a removable device like a thumb drive. The WYSIWYG option allows you to print your code as it is displayed; therefore, if you have codes displayed in color on screen, you can print it also in color. How handy!! Lastly but not the least important is the Plug-in manager that comes in extremely handy to load useful plug-ins to really add the icing on the cake, extending Notepad++ feature above and beyond what should be defined as free.

Cons

There's nothing we tried that we didn't like.

The Swiss-Army Knife of text editors

It's simply the best Windows-based code editor I've ever used, It's always open on my desktop at work, and I can't imagine getting through a day without it.

Pros

This free software text-editor is probably my most-used application outside of my usual IDEs and database managers like SSMS. It's always open and I'm constantly pasting code snippets into it while I'm refactoring, or simply writing quick prototypes in whatever language I happen to be using on a given day. Sometimes I need to write a quick Python script to pull a flat file from an FTP site, transform it and push it into a database; or I'll need to write a Javascript function to reverse the first and last names of a customer. With Notepad++'s syntax highlighting (it really does cover almost every language in use), this developer's life is incalculably more productive. At one point I used vanilla Windows Notepad for this, but now I can't imagine working without Notepad++. Don't get me started on the plethora of plugins that really make this free software shine.

Cons

The software updates at least once a week, which can be annoying, but I also love that the devs are keeping it current!

This is a very useful too that has lot of variety useful small features

Its a small but great powerful tool. I am very happy about it.

Pros

1. It can be used for taking notes 2. Many files can be opened in different tabs. No need to open multiple notepad applications for each file. 3. If you modify file outside of Notepad++ and if it is open in Notepad++ then it asks you whether to reload the file or not. 4. You can link interpreters to execute your code like Pytohn, Perl or many others. 5. It has a language pack. 6. It has font for most programming languages that are useful for colorcoding. 7. Statndar encoding types are available too. 8. Macros and plugins are useful too. My favorite is Compare File plugin. 9. Search is amazing and it can be done through so many files along with regex.

Cons

Each time a release comes in, (once a quarter) then it automatically prompts user with a message box to asking to update application or not. It can get annoying if you have Notepad++ installed on multiple machines and if each one starts asking you as you log in.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Notepad from Microsoft has very less abilities and Notepad++ has everything that Notepad has and much more.

William from Ameritas Life Insurance Corp

Excellent resource for developers

I love it! Especially when building mass scripts, this tool saves me hours of effort. I used to write a program to build scripts because I didn't know of anything that would work like the Column editor in a free form notepad editor. It's a real time saver.

Pros

You often find as a developer that you need to take large amounts of data and reformat it to fit a specific function like creating scripts. Notepad++ has many features that are unlike any other editor I've found. Specifically, Column Editor (insert into all rows at a specific column), Bookmarking records and the ability to delete bookmarked or non-bookmarked records, and the ability to use Extended characters (like \n, \r, \t, etc) and Regular expressions in the search and replace features.

Cons

There is not much to complain about with this software. If anything, there are so many features that, when I first started using it, I would have trouble finding some of the useful features because they were named similarly or just lost in the vast number of features. I've been using it for so long now that all of the features I use are easy to find and use.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Sooooo many more useful features.

Evan from DXC Technology

Simply the best tool for viewing columnar big data or code exports

In short, it is a perfectly adapted tool for its mission of providing an easy-to-use, lightweight rich text editor.

Pros

This is an amazing and intuitive free software. It is far superior to Microsoft Notepad for every use case I have had--most often inspecting and modifying code or opening large data files. I once had a coworker with an unfailing commitment to using an alternative, Vim, and cannot for the life of me figure out why. Notepad++ provides the user a minimal set of controls that are common across many other popular applications. There are also many useful plug-ins--my most often used is the Compare module for checking differences in code when a teammate provides inadequate check-in notes.

Cons

I have no issues with the features that are currently part of this application. The plug-ins could be better cataloged to state their purpose, perhaps even a 'Smart Notepad++' could suggest plug-ins that would help with what you are doing, but this would be going above and beyond.

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

It is free, easier to use, and provides useful visual data (such as targeted text color changes) for reading code.

Abdul Wahab from Softronic Systems

Good Lighter Code Editor

My overall experience of using Notepad++ was very good on windows. I am using it often to review or edit the HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and other files.

Pros

It is simple in interface and easy to use. It is lighter in comparison to all featured code editors. It is free. Downloadable for Windows in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Even a portable edition is available to make it more handy and preferable for writing, editing and reviewing the codes.

Cons

Being a free, it doesn't deserve any argument to be raised on its limited functionality and limited support to programming languages. It is good in what it is designed for. However, it lacks availability for other operating systems.

Best Text Editor

It's my default text editor. It's light weight and very easy to use. I can be extensible via extensions.

Pros

If you are windows user and need a text editor, the answer will be certain for sure. It's notepad++. It's very light-wight. It makes codes colorful according to your file type or selection on the menu. I can be extensible via extensions. when you start the app, it shows you last open files. You can keep safe your temp text.

Cons

Its search feature is not good. It can not understand which type of the code you write. I have to select type of code on the menu. It does not provide auto-complete feature by default.

Nikolaos from IRI Information Resources

Industry: Market Research

Best text editor for Data manipulation and coding

Overall, the experience with notepd++ is great. We use it across the whole company for data manipulation, input preparation and checking, opening and manipulate csv files and coding. I cannot find any other that helpful and with so many features text editor.

Pros

Notepad ++ is overall perfect. I use it every day for several things. One of them is coding. Its unique style makes it great to read several lines, edit or write. The compare feature that never lets you down is unique and useful especially when you look for an error that cannot catch by eye. Apart from coding is perfect for data preparation. The option to "Edit with notepad ++"" enables you to edit or view csv files without opening them in excel and avoid make them lose their format. Many addins make the collaboration with many programming languages very fun, too. This is perfect!

Cons

User interface is somehow old-fashioned. There are so many options that are not very clear when you see them in the small icons toolbar. Less drop down menus and more clear icons I believe can make the use of notepad++ and navigation in it even more great.

Simple, yet powerful

Notepad++ is a great stepping stone to allow you to progress into the wonderful world of syntax highlighted coding. It's feature rich, and free to boot. Definitely give this a go.

Pros

So here's the thing. When we all first start getting into web development, we we're likely all using notepad on a Windows PC. It's great to begin with, but when you want to take things up a notch, there's Notepad++ With it's syntax, brackets and block highlighting (as well as block collapse/expanding), there really are a lot more ++ reasons to adopt Notepad++ in it's place... With the support of multiple languages (along with syntax highlighting), and the ability to have multiple tabs for each document open, as well as document mapping foe each open file, making it a breeze to step up your development game. Notepad++ also allows you to save files with various encodings, and also offers a growing list of plugins offering many more features

Cons

While Notepad++ is definitely a huge step up from Notepad, editors such as Sublime Text do offer a stronger feature set. That be said though, Notepad++ is a powerful product and offered free of charge. I certainly would recommend it to anyone looking to begin learning to code...

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Notepad++ is beyond a simple step up from MS Notepad, it even leaps over MS Wordpad.... Even if it were you only achieve syntax highlighting, Notepad++ is a fantastic editor to help you get into coding with.

Rahul from Mastek Ltd

A Powerful and Rich Featured Test Editor

Fantastic !!! Easy to download and install and very easy to use

Pros

The Plugins... They are just Wow Many are not aware that we can do a lot with the plugin manager eg. 1. There is a Compare plugin available which can compare your files and find out the differences. It comes very handy while comparing multiple huge and complex files to find out the differences in them. 2. JSON Editor - It's used for editing and formatting JSON Files, which comes extremely handy for developers\testers working on API building. and there are many more such plugins It supports most of the programming languages And mostly importantly all this comes in at free of cost

Cons

Frankly speaking I can't find any cons in Notepad++; I can call it as a life saver for an IT person dealing with huge and complex files. Just that, a lot of people don't know much about the features that it offers to its user. If these features could be made available somewhere as an option in the menu it would be great. such that even a layman can use them in case required.

Reviewing Notepad++ editor

The inbuilt keywords in Notepad++ makes code text editing faster and more intuitive. It is an advancement on the functionality of the conventional notepad. It highlights the syntax when writing code which makes programming easier to follow.

Pros

Notepad++ is free open source code editor. It makes for fast flowing work. The highlighting of syntax helps the programmer understand his code. It allows for use of extensions and add-ons.

Cons

Although Notepad++ is an improvement on conventional notepad, it is still not a full IDE. This limits it's capabilities somewhat. It can't seem to run multiple functions effectively.

Ben from SCSU

One of the Best Text Editors

I have used Notepad++ to code in many languages for many years and I have never had a problem in its use. It is a vastly superior text editor for Windows machines.

Pros

I love the simplicity of Notepad++, its operations are very similar to any other basic text editor, but this does so much more. Its much better organized than default notepad and for software developing its a great tool since it can read many languages. Personally I have used Notepad++ to code in R, C++, Python, Assembly, C, VHDL, HTML, XML, CSS. Basically you name it, they have it. Its very nice to quickly open files in Notepad++ and have syntax highlighting right there for easier reading. Not every language has a good IDE and not every machine you read it on will have an IDE, so Notepad++ works exceptionally well there.

Cons

I think the biggest con of Notepad++is that there is no Linux support. Given the most common users of this program, I thought they would make a Linux version, but they do not. You will have to find an alternative elsewhere

Umair from Butt IT Solutions

The best and Professional Code Editor

My overall experience with this professional code editor is really awesome. Because for me connecting of local Databases is really easy using this software. I have designed a number of websites for myself and for my clients using the Notepad++ code editor. For me, writing code is really easy in Notepad++. This software allows us to write the code in a very easy way, where we can also understand the code techniques. In short, I really love Notepad++.

Pros

Notepad++ is really a very lightweight software, which allows you to add and edit the code of your pages. You can build web pages from scratch to the advanced level using HTML, CSS, and PHP in Notepad++. There are different encoding options you can find in Notepad++, and you can even convert to ANSI, UTF-8, and more options. You can also easily find and replace the code in your pages. Different languages you can use like Python, C#, Ruby and more.

Cons

According to my point of view and experience, this software should be available in all Operating system platforms. All other things and features of Notepad++ are really incredible.

Notepad replacement - advanced but simple

It has made traversing files and performing edits quick.

Pros

In need of a text editor that can do more than copy and paste. Notepad will highlight code structure, provides advanced find/replace functionality, multiple tabs and everything you could want in a text editor

Cons

There really is no cons to using Notepad++ over standard notepad.

Reasons for Choosing Notepad++

Much more compact. Although I might try v.s. because it allows better viewing of the files open which is helpful for editing multiple files (especially networked ones)

Michael from Whitehall Central School District

My Near Perfect IDE for everything that's text!

Notepad++ has been my programming IDE for all things web for years. I started web development back on the old school "Notepad" (or in my nano linux shell). But there is only so far you can get with these basic tools. Notepad++ has so many helpful features to a programmer. The formatting guides, the expand and contraction of braces, color formatting, line numbers, all rock. The amazing find and replace features have found their uses in more than just my programming. Large csv files might need some major formatting changes. I can rock the file in Notepad++ and update the format, change the layouts, remove specific rows, all with ease and within seconds.

Pros

Amazing IDE/Text Editor/Swiss Army Knife! Powerful Find Replace Functions Powerful Mark / Clear Line Functions Line Numbers, IDE Features based on file format. Plugins plugins plugins.

Cons

Some plugins got a little old, outdated, and were unstable. But the software trucks on! Having ++ in the name, means plenty to programmers, but it makes it difficult to search for in Google :)

Price and Ease of Implementation

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Needed more powerful tools!

Mohammed from Almac Group

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Simple & lightweight editor for newbies and pros

The thing about Notepad++ is that its very easy to use and does not require much training or a large learning curve. Because of this, it is something that developers, database officers and even testers can make use of to experiment with code or just open files very quickly to see what the files contain. As a result of this, the IT department/company benefits as it doesn't really need to provide much training for Notepad++ and because it is free, it is something that users can use right away.

Pros

-Notepad++ is one of the easiest software tool to use that I have come across. In fact, it is one of the first things I install when setting up a new machine -Notepad++ is completely free for one to use -It is an extremely lightweight and fast tool to use, which makes it perfect to code with or just write experimental code with -Notepad++ supports around 30 languages, with features such as syntax highlighting -Notepad++ search feature is great where you can search for a specific term and it will highlight all the places where this term exists

Cons

Overall, there isn't really anything to dislike about Notepad++ especially since it is so easy to use, costs nothing and offers so many features within a lightweight package. The only thing is sometimes if you try to open a very large file with Notepad++, it may freeze for a couple of seconds. But usually, this only lasts for a few seconds and then you can carry on your work very quickly.

Heshani from Insfra Technologies

Notepad ++ for the advanced notes

I use this everyday for writing my codes , specially html codes. It helps me a lot since I know all the color codes, I can easily identify if I have made a mistake, as the expected color is not appeared there for. Also I use this for comparing codes. Overall experience is really good.

Pros

I use notepad basically for writting codes since I work as a software engineer. When I write codes, I can select the programming language I use there and it helps me to code accurately as the methods keywords and everything are displayed in different color codes. Also we can open multiple documents the same time and same time we can spit the window into two and compare two codes. There is a zoo in and out option, so that we can adjust the font size. Also the documents are saved so easily. And open them by selecting the location.

Cons

The documents are not shareable. We need to save the documents manually. No formatting options. Only suitable for codings. Not for preparing documents.

Indispensable tool for developers

It' s very efficient and fast text editor. It really makes my life easier. Especially when dealing with t-sql queries it really helps lot. I also usually use it for code reviewing and comparing files.

Pros

Useful and fast search option with regular expressions Suitable for reviewing almost all programming languages Makes T-SQL operations easier for DBAs & developers Even more powerful with rich plugin options

Cons

Having trouble when dealing with really big files.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Faster, more efficient, more features

George Rex from ROC Aire Consulting Limited

One of The Most Useful Code/Text Editor

It has been great using Notepad ++ over the years. I was introduced to it by a friend who saw me always editing my codes in the inbuilt text editor in windows operating system, and he gave me a better and more user-friendly alternative. So ever since, I have not stopped using this fine product to build projects with of importance to me and my company.

Pros

I love Notepad ++ so much for its ability to recognize codes written in varying languages. It is super lightweight, and the product is also very extendable using plugins from its community of opensource contributors. I love the compare plugin the most; where you can easily compare the contents of two files and see where differences and similarities lie.

Cons

I don't like the search display functionality in this product. It does its job very well, but the report it gives after a search is done is quite uneasy to grasp, especially for a newbie using this product.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Its was too plain and with no feature-rich functions for developers.

Darian from Providence Health & Services

Best of Its Class

Outstanding, I love it!

Pros

Notepad++ is hands down the best text and source code editor out there. Being distributed as open-source makes the deal even sweater. It has been a long time since I made the switch from the traditional Microsoft Notepad to Notepad++, and I haven't looked back once. Simply put, Notepad++ is like MSFT Notepad, but on steroid. It does everything better and in addition, it offers so much more for programmers and daily users. The software is easily customizable to fit your needs and offers tools for programmers to access an easy source code editor, that doesn't consume too many resources.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind regarding cons for Notepad++ is that it lacks some syntax highlighting for certain programming languages. It is hard to complain about his though, since Notepad++ was made for on-the-go and quick edits as far as I am concerned

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Notepad++ offers so much more!

Muhammad Rizki from University of Michigan

Industry: Research

Really helpful to write codes

Notepad++ is a very good editor, especially for programming. I use this software for almost all of my projects, especially one that involves code writing.

Pros

I am a university research assistant that work a lot with coding. Notepad++ make doing coding easier since it is versatile: it can detect most of existing programming languages, and improve user experience to write the code. When writing a code, Notepad++ will give different color for different types of word I type in the code. Like in Fortran programming language that I used everyday, the statement I wrote will be automatically turned into blue color, number into orange, comment into green, and many more capabilities that make it easier to write and read any codes.

Cons

It's still lacking of some text formatting capability, like alignment (center, left, or right). Notepad++ is also not updated so frequently enough to catch up the development of existing programming languages.

Greg from ESC

Love This

I use this for all kinds of things. I constantly have many documents open for review, notes, comparisons, more notes, lists, and other things I can think to use this for.

Pros

The fact that it automatically saves a temporary file until I perform a true save keeps me from worrying about whether or not I need to hold on to a note that is meant to be temporary. Also, the plug-in that allows for document comparison is fantastic.

Cons

I've not had any specific issues that I would call out Notepad++ for.

Reasons for Switching to Notepad++

Because notepad doesn't really have any features. Notepad++ is full of useful options for things I hadn't thought I'd need. The first most notable was the option to choose a language (software language) to display the text in. This will automatically color the text in a way to make it more readable for a developer who just wants to review/edit a document outside of a full development tool.

Jose Ramón from 4hces

Simple and powerful text editor for development

I use it with PHP, Javascript, HMTL, SQL and regular text. The edition is easy, it helps me with the syntax and sometimes allows me to find errors with codification

Pros

Easy and powerful. Continously getting better. It supports a lot of languages and allowes me to be more productive while developing

Cons

The software fulfills my expectatives. I have no cons. I am sure it has lots of functionalities than I don't use and could help me, but I have no time to research