(1,339)

1,339

• Pros

• "It's easy to use. Performance is great. Compatibility is great as well. Is known and used all around the world."

• "Easy to use and very user friendly and effective"

• "The thing I like the most about this software is that it makes my work very easy and fun to do all the time. "

• Cons

• "Although some commands are simple to use, others can be very difficult and to use to so require specialist training"

• "Not the easiest software to learn but once you got the hang of the menus, it was excellent."

• "It might be a little difficult for any person beginning with the program, but with plenty practice you can be a very skilled plan drafter."

Browse AutoCAD Reviews

Showing -49 - 0 of 2038 results

Kamran from bs group

Autocad for "part-time" civil engineer

Once I tried to draw my own home's plan but could not manage software requires a lot of time and patience.

Pros

It manages extremely large projects with exact measures and details. It gives availability to work in 3D Space. Cloud function helps to get advantage to work as a team.

Cons

It needs strong computer resources. Without qualified tutorials, it is like impossible to work on this program. Besides the price is so expensive.

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD

Why I was considering these three versions I checked mainly the price, ease of use and functionality so that AutoCAD became my first choice.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD

Autocad has 3D navigation and 3D scanning which are features you will not find in SketchUp, besides AutoCAD pricing is better than SketchUp.

Lauren from Bert Stern Productions LLC

CAD Can

It’s a very powerful tool and professional grade. The software’s capacity and presence, in the creative industry, provides an alleviating affect to its audience and users.

Pros

I have a lot of flexibility in terms of the mediums I can ease into and AutoCAD truly helps in that aspect. It delivers the workspace to bring a flat design to life in a way that most dimensional design products don’t. One thing for certain is the application’s versatility in making the space feel less technically tedious and more straightforward. The functionality is very simple and gives its user the chance to apply their personal preference into the art board without losing resolution and methodology.

Cons

My only note of interest would be the application’s need for dimensional guidance. While it provides a very nice approach to freeform, it lightly loses touch of having a snap to grid like essence about it more than a majority.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD

The alternative is very interesting and the first application I’ve used for Computer Aided Design. Much to my fortune, a fellow colleague shared the idea of AutoCAD and I became enticed by its features. So moving forward, I came to greatly appreciate the software more than NanoCAD.

Tendamudzimu from SFC Engineers

Autocad make design reality

The overall experience I have noticed is that different fields or industries uses the software and document sharing for productivity or amending of drawings tends to be faster.

Pros

The feature I liked most is when one import survey data instead of manually inserting them. The DWG format can also be used by other software for example architects with their software can edit it.

Cons

This is a very complex software which requires attention to detail and one must really put time to know and excel in it.

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD

it is more closely related to Caddie which I wouldn't struggle with the switch

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD

The industry has sort of shifted to use more Autocad

Arlex from EYEMAR EXPRESS

Autocad, it was my design school.

With autocad I learned to design with a computer, I learned to model, I learned CAD, it was my initial school.

Pros

Working in AutoCAD is much easier than working on paper. We saved a lot of time and it's much simpler than that. Doing it by hand can be tedious and we also have to consider our prolixity when it comes to doing it on a sheet. As Autodesk is launching new versions, they do not change much with respect to the previous ones so that the user does not have to update to something completely unknown. The latest versions are very similar, except that they add new small functions. The configuration to print a drawing in AutoCAD in different formats is very easy. There are many formats included and we can adjust colors, margins, layers, among many other aspects. AutoCAD has been linked to multiple platforms, with the benefit of being able to export and import files of all kinds. For example, we can bring an image or a block to the software, among other applications.

Cons

The main disadvantage is the high cost of the program, since the license costs a few dollars. Knowing how to use the software fully requires a lot of time since there are many functions that are not so well known, and even that they are of little application, since they are very specific. It requires a very powerful computer to work with the latest versions (especially in 3D). At least 2GB of RAM, 2GHz processing speed, and a space greater than 100GB on the hard drive. If we make an object in 3D, with many details, brightness settings, brightness, details of materials, for the best commercial computer we have, it usually slows down a lot. There are better software to make 3D drawings that are more sophisticated, with more functions and that do not slow down so much when working with a very heavy file.

Latifa from BOU LATIFA

the powerful drawing tool

Autocad is a versatile application that offers the possibility to design various elements and objects in 2D and 3D. With this very powerful software, you can create your own plans whether in architecture and town planning, in mechanics, in landscaping, in industry, in electronics, or others, also it is a tool to create realistic images of all your plans and designates, applying colors and textures to them. You can also make animations for objects or take a virtual tour of a subdivision or a house. The software has developed well since its first versions. Each update always offers more features for the computer-aided drafting professions. It is a very professional software, it is essential, for all draftsmen especially in architecture, it is an efficient, very precise and complete way to develop their 2d plans for all types of buildings. Realizing 3D with autocad offers you the pleasure of being the master on its platform, of designing any object or building, and of assigning it materials, and colors, adding light, taking pictures, the software puts at your disposal a library of materials and very rich color palettes, all that remains is to unleash your creativity. This software allows you to draw and design your ideas in 3d without even drawing a plan, you can go directly to draw and view 3d designs. After all the years I have spent using this powerful application, autocad is a must have for all of my designs.

Pros

speed, precision, richness in tools, efficiency, drawing of 2d and 3d plans

Cons

apparently I don't see any drawbacks, it is very useful

Matthew from Monthly Miniature

Free Trial Doesn't Help You Decide

I opened it, learned some design hotkeys and made some basic designs, but by the time I learned all that, as a part time business owner the 30 day trial didn't give me enough time to really consider the product. I wish there was a free version, no matter how limited, so that I could take my time to familiarize myself with the program more and perhaps try a 30 day upgrade and then make the full decision to buy. For a small company its not a cheap product

Pros

Powerful program made for and by industry professionals Has many tools available for you to use versatile and usable in different fields

Cons

Not user friendly at all for a beginner Trial length of 30 days doesnt give a beginner or even someone lightly familiar with CAD to even begin to use the program in an real way or familiarize themselves with it to see if they like it really.

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD

it was highly recommended, but I think at this stage it isn't for me

There is a reason that the name AutoCAD is synonymous with drafting

There is a reason that AutoCAD has been the market leader for decades. The software is the gold standard. The software keys getting better and easier to use with multiple ways to use the software (online, desktop, mobile). The price can be prohibitive for those who only have occasional usage like myself.

Pros

The online version is quick and easy to use. They offer a by month use plan which is great for my occasional use. The integration with AutoDesk's other software is useful. The UI is clean and intuitive. New features and updates keep the software fresh and on the cutting edge.

Cons

The software is expensive for my needs and navigating the various licenses and options can be a bit challenging.

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD

I chose QCAD because of the price, the perpetual license, and it provided the tools I needed.

Jason from Natoli Engineering

Excellent for 2D Drawings

I've been using Autocad since 2003. Many things in the industry have changed since then but one thing remains and that's the significance of this software. It blends with other softwares very well. My designs transfer to our plotters and machines without issues. It's also simple to use. Very pleased with this product.

Pros

The most basic features are my favorite. Autocad handles these better than any other software that I've used. This includes snaps and trim/extend.

Cons

My only complain with Autocad is the lack of 3D tools. I realize this can be purchased separately but I think it should be included in the purchase price.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD

I liked the ease of use that AutoCad offered.

Heyonil from TECHING

Industry: Utilities

A professional tool for your diagrams, sketches or drawings

You can convert to PDF and everyone will be able to see your designs. You can also print from the same program and that is an advantage ... now you have time. Overall, my use has been good and has helped me keep customers happy with the diagrams made under this program. Makes you look professional.

Pros

You can do anything. What I like the most is that their own tools help you make a good drawing or design. 2D and 3D drawings look better with this software.

Cons

The program definitely weighs a lot and if you don't have a fast enough RAM, your PC may hang a bit. The program will run fine but to go from this program to another, it can be very slow.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD

It didn't give me the professionalism I needed. SketchUp is most useful for mockups.

Jacek from JJ Arch

Industry: Architecture & Planning

A little outdated but still reasonable tool

I used to draw everything in AutoCad at my previous employer. Nowadays it seem slow and cumbersome. It's tempting to use because of the ease of copy&paste of previously drawn elements but there is little automation. A single wrong value can snowball into big mistakes. A BIM software is much more desired. I still use AutoCad to draw detail and simple drawing that do not require much coordination.

Pros

Simple and robust software. File compatibility goes back to 1997. Though limited as it I rarely had any problems and there were never any problems when sending files. It opened all dwg without problems (unlike some other CAD programs I've tried)

Cons

Complicated interface and not intuitive. 3d drawing is especially daunting. Automation requires even more knowledge - I've never got to learning how to program titleblocks. Slow startup

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD

It is necessary for my business. Alternatives where of lower quality or could not open some dwg file. Those that worked where priced similarly so there was incentive to choose them over robust AutoCAD

Mitchell from Mitch Cass Design

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

Industry Leader with a Legacy

For all its foibles and annoyances Autocad still offers a comprehensive design and drafting solutions for an amazing array of applications. I have had a love/hate with Autocad over the years dealing with its growing pains and Autodesks struggle to meet the many and varied needs of its users. For large scale projects there is still very few products that have the extensibility of Autocad to integrate into modern company quality, workflow and project management systems.

Pros

Autocad was the first CAD program I ever used. To give you an idea of the time period, it was before MS Windows existed and we did not have mice! Thus, using Autocad under DOS was all about command line input and scripts. This aspect of Autocad remains unchanged today. There is a huge array of scripts, tools and add-ons for almost every niche application you could imagine. Autocad is essentially the Vanilla of CAD. On it's own its a bit dated and boring, but throw in some specific add-ons for your niche and suddenly its a game changer. In summary, there are many other CAD applications which are based on the foundation that Autocad created and do many things better or faster than Autocad, however, there are none with the level of 3rd party integration, development and scale support that Autocad enjoys.

Cons

Autocad suffers from the same issues as does Microsoft Windows. When you have a large long term user base it's hard to innovate without upsetting users who have settled on a certain workflow or script integration. This has left Autocad lagging behind its competition in terms of modelling capability and performance. I find myself using other packages to create 3D models, then exporting the 2D drawings back into Autocad for final drafting and client distribution. Part of the issue is also crossover with products like Inventor and Fusion360. Autocad cannot become too parametrically driven or it will undermine Autodesks other offerings.

George from Javan Engineering

AutoCAD Review as a Engineering Undergraduate and a Young Engineer

AutoCAD is tough to pick up and learn, however, this can be said for any modeling software with such immense capabilities. This being said, AutoCAD is my favorite modeling software to use as I have been able to play around with it during college and throughout my internship. I have modeled small buildings to planes, and will continue to use AutoCAD as I believe it is the best modeling software.

Pros

With AutoCAD, your mind is the limit for what you can draw, simulate, and model! As an engineering student I used AutoCAD in a couple of my classes to create anything ranging from simple pieces of equipment to an entire Iron Man helmet (I would like to note that making the Iron Man Helmet took a very long time). The precision with AutoCAD always memorizes me, as you can make models that look real within the program. I have used AutoCAD for a few years now (throughout college and through my engineering internships) and still feel as if I have scratched the surface on the immense capabilities of AutoCAD. I highly recommend AutoCAD for any creative person that is looking to get into modeling or any company that is looking to improve their equipment drawings.

Cons

I would definitely have to say that AutoCAD has been one of the more difficult software to pick up and learn (take this with a grain of salt though as all modeling software are typically very difficult to learn). AutoCAD provides many tutorials to help you get started, however, these can only take you so far. To become proficient with AutoCAD you need many hours dedicated to playing around with AutoCAD and watching other tutorials. Once you have gotten good at using AutoCAD, you will be able to create almost anything with ease. One last thing to note is that it can be tough to find what exact button you are looking for with the current interface. Other than that, I highly recommend AutoCAD.

Sadaf from Alpin Limited

AutoCAD- A powerful tool for drawing and modelling

Work with AutoCAD begins at the conception stage (conceptual design, schematics, design development) through to construction (good for construction and as-built drawings) and completion. I have been using AutoCAD for the last ten years and honestly, I would not trade this software for any other. Our company uses AutoCAD for drafting two-dimensional layouts, editing, developing 3D models as well as using it to import and export to other compatible software such as Revit for BIM and IES for energy modelling respectively. It is a fundamental drafting software that has no competitor in the market, especially for the construction industry. I highly recommend this powerful tool for enhancing the quality of detailed architectural, mechanical, electrical and civil 2D drawings for better implementation on site.

Pros

There is no limit to what can be produced with AutoCAD, from architecture, product design, and landscape drawings, from the tiniest to scales to the largest. As an Architect, I feel that mastering this software has been an indispensable skill, and I will be using it for many many years to come. Once you get a hang of it, developing layouts is simple, with a customizable interface and menus. I especially love the Object Snap command that helps me prepare drawings and details that are 100% accurate. Being compatible with a majority of modelling software, exporting CAD drawings is quite straightforward too. There is a plethora of support online as well as provided by Autodesk, if things seem challenging or there is a glitch to fix. The best part is that AutoCAD offers a fully functional free version for students, which is definitely a step in the right direction; not all companies do this.

Cons

The price tag associated with AutoCAD is steep, considering designers, architects, and engineers, all use it perpetually. To function without major glitches such as screen freeze, slow processing speed the software needs system rich in memory and RAM. A few commands like Trim and Hatch function slowly if your computer is (in my case) old or short on available RAM. For new users, the entire interface can be quite overwhelming considering the number of commands available for varied functions. I don't really have major issues with the 2D drafting feature, as it is comprehensive, accurate and user-friendly, but somehow the 3D feature isn't the best. In my opinion, there is other software available which can produce exceptional, presentation worthy and realistic 3D renderings as most have their own ray tracing, something that AutoCAD lacks. Additionally, for complex projects, it can be challenging to update sections, elevations, and detail drawings even if there is a minor change in the plan/s. For this purpose especially, I prefer BIM software when working on large and challenging projects.

ANDREW from KAS & Associates

AutoCAD review

Has revolutionized virtually every engineering field in existence, and even almost single-handedly created an entire new industry: the CAD draftsman. Every draftsman must spend significant time and training specifying a field, but computer drafting is now virtually a career unto itself, almost secondary to the industry it supports. It is and always will be an imperfect tool, but is incredibly powerful and indispensable. There are other worthy competitors... but AutoCAD is the most widespread, and the best.

Pros

It is the industry standard - that alone counts for a lot, even though that means we're all contributing to its unofficial monopoly. Extremely powerful, customizeable, available in several specialized versions. It takes a while to learn the extents of what it can do - but that's not a negative, just a byproduct of its complexity. Learning the basics is fairly quick and easy, thanks to its intuitive setup, which has improved over the years.

Cons

Well known to be prone to frequent or at least unexpected crashes. Any seasoned AutoCAD user is well-trained to save work constantly. One brilliant tool Autodesk employed to help combat this is to save data across several separate files for any one drawing/project - that way if one of them becomes corrupt, it can be diagnosed, excised, and hopefully recreated. But again, any experienced user is accustomed to the frustration of occasionally losing hours of work and spending hours more investigating, backtracking, and rebuilding. It is also extremely expensive, which really cannot be avoided considering the vast and complex programming that goes into it, and also due to the security and monitoring necessary in today's ease of electronic pirating; this is a shame, because while in earlier decades it was perhaps expensive but not always prohibitively so, a novice can no longer attain a home copy to use/learn at their leisure.

Leon from BairesDev

Versatility mixed with complexity.

As complex as AutoCad is, learning how to use it is a very rewarding experience when you start to achieve sleek designs. Even though it takes time, I cannot really state that my experience is a negative one, for the contrary, the more I learn, the more excited I get. AutoCad's difficulty is very well balanced out with the quality you are able to achieve within the software, and the wide possibilities it offers. Becoming an expert is a must have for many fields, it will surely open many doors.

Pros

To state an opinion of AutoCad being as objective as you can is clearly a challenge, because it is very versatile software, with distinctive functionalities that adapt to many industries, but I will give it a try: AutoCad has one of the most extensive tools set you can imagine, that allows to draft in a logical sense almost anything you could imagine through the space of your ‘canvas’. From package design, to wire and pipes, props, Architecture, Interior and Industrial design and even Printed Circuit Board designs (Even though there are more efficient softwares for that one). AutoCad is all about precision and logical designs that follow a mathematical pattern, even though it might be catered towards some specific fields, the possibilities are wide and you may find it useful for something you never really imagined that follows a specific rational arrangement, I could basically describe it as a digital technical drawing software with almost no limitations. Once you get a grasp of the most basic tools, it is fairly easy to keep everything neat.

Cons

AutoCad is a very complex software, and learning how to use it is not precisely an easy task, sometimes just exploring the tools is not enough. I needed to do a few courses before I was able to get a grasp of it, and I am still far from being an expert. You usually adapt your learning curve towards what you are looking to do, since there is not necessarily a unique way to approach your designs, and the tools logical functionality might feel abstract if you are unable to understand them properly. The uses you can give to the software are as ambiguous as how you use your tools, and it adapts to your needs but at the same time you have to be aware of keeping your designs coherency at all times. I believe they should definitely enhance the printing area configuration; it still gives me a headache every time that I am trying to print a one page designs and I end up printing 4 divided sheets because of a misinterpreted printing setting. You need a high-spec machine if you are planning to design in 3D, it consumes a lot of RAM memory and might slow down or heat up your computer.

Adam from D.M. Wills Associates Limited

Industry Standard for Drafting and Designing

As I use AutoCAD on a near-daily basis in the engineering field, it has become a tool that is second-nature while drafting and designing. While AutoCAD is an extremely effective tool to help designers and drafters to create drawings that look great and are easy to manipulate, it can struggle to handle heavy project workload with many 3-dimensional objects in one drawing; if you are able to plan and predict what a project will entail, you can plan your drawings accordingly to make sure that there isn't too much content in a single drawing which seems to cause this issue. As a leading tool for engineers, AutoCAD remains an excellent software for drafting and designing.

Pros

AutoCAD is a great drafting tool that has some great built-in functions to assist the designer in efficiently designing and drafting engineering projects. The customization in AutoCAD allows for great consistency in drafting by having custom uniform text, styles, and general features (such as pipe networks, pressure networks, and profiles to name a few), though this customization can also be a detriment which I will mention below. The majority of the interface is designed for ease-of-use, having all of the commonly used features in the ribbon and on the taskbar, while retaining the text commands for quickly accessing features for more advanced users. AutoCAD has widespread compatibility in terms of files it is able to import and read, as well as output formats to other drafting softwares. As I use AutoCAD with the Civil 3D add-on, there are some very helpful 3-dimensional tools that make it easy to draft your intended design with ease and the functionality of having various levels of complexity such as 3-dimensional surfaces, 3-dimensional pipe networks, and all of the associated tools (roadway corridors, grading tools, and surface manipulation.) AutoCAD is an industry standard for a reason - it helps the designer to efficiently and effectively complete designs with a wide variety of tools and options.

Cons

Though AutoCAD offers some very useful tools, some of these tools are complex and there can be a steep learning curve for new users. The bulk of the issues encountered while using AutoCAD seem to happen on larger complex projects. For larger-scale projects where many different drawings and objects are referenced together, it is important for the user to understand efficient ways to link drawings and AutoCAD objects together to prevent file slow-downs and bloating of project files. The dreaded 'Fatal Error' is also not uncommon when working in larger complex projects, especially when using 3-dimensional functions in the software such as surface grading. As newer versions of the software cause older versions to become obsolete, it is crucial that you stay up-to-date with the newest version of AutoCAD if you are planning on collaborating with external parties or consultants. Ensure the machine you will be using AutoCAD on exceeds the minimum recommended software and hardware requirements, as it can be difficult to efficiently use this software on an under-powered computer.

Huynh from Nam A

I have used Autocad more than 6 years

Pros

As a Cad Draftsman and 3d Designer, I have worked with Autocad in most of the time. It is useful for me to finish my deadline projects, save me a lot of time with the Sheet Set Manager function. When I didn't know about this function, I spent a lot of time to print the drawing files for my company, that's silly of me. I also love the Dynamic block, I really love it. If you didn't know about this Dynamic block function, let's try to discover it and you will see how it saved your life. But I think this function is not easy to use, I have to test it many times whenever I want to create Autocad items for my library. The other function of Autocad that I love is purge function, I don't say about the normal purge function. I want to say about purge function for a large file, it's a big problem when you use the old versions. But if you use Autocad 2013-2014, you need to install AutoCAD_2013_2014_DGN_Hotfix into your computer. Thanks for God, Autocad company combined this function in the new version.

Cons

My biggest problem with Autocad is Dimension function in Layout. When I did dimension in layout, the value was often changed automatically, for example from 250mm to 250,000mm. I didn't know why? I tried to many times to find out the reason, but I didn't succeed. Many people have the same problem like me. We really got stuck. If someone knows how to solve it, please tell me, I really appreciate it. The other problem is print in Model. When I need to print multi-drawing in Model I have to use a script, the Sheet Set Manager only works with Layout.

Soriana from Vegas & Artiles Arquitectos

My experience using autocad has been nice. I like the software

The benefits that I obtained with this software was the development of architectural projects in a short time. With good appearance and better image when I'm going to present it to clients.and not only use it for architecture but for my daily tasks, make drawings, figures for my friends, to cut and print graphic design forms. A few days ago I was teaching two people to make lines, polygons, curves in autocad. My two friends loved the tool, and are willing to take a course to explore the program. My two friends want to learn to get a job as an architectural draftsman and work as people for their children. The tool is very versatile, and friendly to the public. Without a doubt it is one of the best software that they have been able to invent. Every day I am surprised more of the things that I can do in that program. For now the only difficulty has been making 3d modeling with the three-dimensional version of autocad, because I still have trouble knowing which tools I can use and which I can not. Also my computer is not adapted so that the program can work properly and runs out of memory space. In the next few years I hope to get the opportunity to produce more money and install the current version of that year, and learn how to use the 3D tool of this program well. On some occasions I tried to make renders in that program and I have trouble adjusting all the lights. The photographs are dark or unclear. I would like to learn with some autodesk videos about how to manage the program in the right way to get along better in this category. I feel that in the future the autodesk company will have so many tools integrated into the program that they will not be able to resist, all the companies should have laptops with this program. Not only as a means of work, but as part of your lifestyle. For example, I benefit from doing my work as an architect and other extra jobs that have to do with furniture design. Currently autocad is the only tool with which I develop better. The time that I can spend designing and drawing is infinite, because I have a lot of fun trying out alternatives for clients. In addition you can save them in different formats, and the client can check it from his computer without having to go to my office. We can have long conversations about the different options and autocad lets me keep it comfortably as I want. This is one of the most important tools in the area of design and architecture.

Pros

I feel good exploring the tools of the program. Currently I like to use the PlotPDF tool that converts the pdf into lines and makes the drawings can be drawn in a more comfortable way. I am an architect and I recommend the program to all the people who work with me.

Cons

What I do not like about the program is that in each new version I do not know the added functions. The autodesk company should have an indicator with notifications indicating the new tools and commands that were added. In addition to that the steps to test the new commands. I would like to start a new version of AutoCAD with new tools notifications and view sample videos within the model.

Luis Guillermo from Paraulata Digital C.A

AutoCAD is one of the best softwares I've used in my activities as an architecture student and works

Pros

The main pro about this software is its precision on drawings, models and any architectural, engineering, urban, mechanical and other kind of projects you need to make on it. You can use it on many work fields due to its versatility and operativity. Another thing that I love about this software is that you can work with archives of another softwares by only importing them, and you can export on another formats too; besides, you can select the year version of its native format so you can work with previous versions of this software, increasing the productivity among colleagues. AutoCAD has been a great support to my academic developement, and I'm seriously thinking about using this program in my professional practice; I would strongly reccommend it to those who are students of architecture, engineering, industrial and interior design and another careers. This software has been the best choice since I've tried it for the first time. It's a must on any construction and design company. Go ahead and use AutoCAD!

Cons

One of the things I like least about this software is the fact that its interface is a little bit confusing sometimes, and it could be complex too if you misconfigure it; even though there are configuration buttons, sometimes they are confusing or they hide another things and drives you to desperation on how to find some things. So, my recommendation to the software programmers or developers is that they must find a way to make things a bit easier to the users in that matter.

Carlos from Universidad de Oriente

Excellent software, I have used it in engineering and architecture for designs, plans and images 2D

The benefits I have received with this software have been: Being an engineer, he worked in the engineering area, especially in the area of civil engineering and architecture; I am dedicated, mostly to elaborate housing plans, as well as land location. It saves me a lot of time, because it allows to make modifications before printing, which I could not do manually, also, when the floor plans are the same, this can create copies and make the electrical, mechanical drawings without having to do the plan again. Also, since many planes are the same, those pieces can be copied from one plane to another, details that are required. You can rotate the plane, do 3D, change line thicknesses, color, add plants, vehicles to create the final design environment. It allows me to work from my house, and send the plans by mail at no cost. Previously, I had to print and mail physical plans or CDs. Make the details, at the scale of your preference and with all your minimum accessories. The presentation of the plans are of higher quality and precision and reliability. Also used to make figures for billboards, designed billboards with real dimensions. You can export and import images between softwares.

Pros

The experience I have with the Autocad is with the preparation of floor plans, facades and housing location. It has been very easy to handle with geometric figures, lines, arcs, circles, triangles; also allows to change the thickness, lengthen or cut the lines or edges of the figures, fill figures with solid colors or textures. It allows me to make the plans on a scale and print it with another scale greater or less than the one designed. Also, it allows drawing with details of sanitary pieces, hydraulic and electricity equipment. It makes presentations in 2d and 3d which gives an overview of the real design of the house, piece or equipment inside and outside. In addition, you can work multiple windows, copy images from one window to another, copy images from different files, you can export documents, tables and images from other software.

Cons

From this software it is difficult for me to work with different windows, and to select the printing area, for that I adjust the properties of the printer, which makes the printing slower. In addition, I find it difficult to work in three-dimensional planes. In this case, I make two plans one of the floor and another with cuts that show the heights of the walls or facades. It requires computers and monitors with higher requirements, for large plans plotters are needed; however, the plans can be adjusted to small printers, but the letters and numbers are so small that anyone can not read them.

Victor from Ministerio Poder Popular para Hábitat y Vivienda

AutoCad the most evolved software for Computer Aided Drawing

Through AutoCAD I was able to load data in a GIS by exporting the DWG files, drawings that were made in 1990 but have not been updated and that were required as a cartographic basis for updating the cartography of the small cities of Venezuela. From this process I have been able to make risk mitigation proposals, based on the unmodified topography of the time, they remain in force and that nowadays, it is very expensive to make a new capture. I also collaborated on a project where the parcel survey of several poor areas in Caracas was updated, everything was processed in AutoCAD and linked with photographs and legal documents through attributes management. The program is robust enough to accept around 10,500 links in a multiscale file, neighborhood, block, plot, floor. AutoCAD can interact with many apps ranging from basic photography to databases and word processing. The facility provided by AutoCAD, to import and export data makes it a fundamental tool in the processes of capture, editing, processing and maintenance of spatial data, the Drawing app is superior to the GIS.

Pros

It presents a versatile interface that allows users to adapt the menu bars to their most frequent uses, since in AutoCAD converge engineers, geographers, surveyors, surveyors, architects, interior designers, graphic designers, artists of computer animation, among others as well as the respective students and professors of the mentioned areas. Over the years they have improved the drawing commands and transformed them into simple commands to those that we had to develop by programming or repeating sequences to the users of the versions of the 90s and the first decade of 2000. It offers many facilities for the management of a great diversity of functions, with very variable scales of representation that vary from 1: 1 to 1: 25,000, adjusting to the needs of the clients. The printing of products made in AutoCAD are very easy to use, as long as you have basic knowledge of scale of representation, pen handling and intentions of the scales of colors and thicknesses. You can save the data as a pdf file, where you maintain the ability to turn off or turn on layers of information. additional to this you can also export your products to the universal dxf exchange formats or as dgn. On the other hand, you can manage information collected by means of UAVs, total station or topographic survey, data that will present the height values required for the 3D interface. You can download the product and manage the acquisition of the license online.

Cons

The 3D interface that offers a lot of similarity to the animation programs consumes a lot of graphic memory, the resources of the PC are compromised in the 3D files that have a lot of detail. Autocad does not work on open source operating systems, it only deploys on Windows and MAC. The users must know the fundamentals of pluggins, topology and scale, otherwise they will invest many hours in solving the errors caused. The cost of the license is high compared to other solutions, without underestimating those of open source, where some have taken giant steps to cover the basic needs of users. the management of the topology and the relationship of the entities drawn depend on the expertise of the user, there is no basic guide that allows you to reduce the load of erroneous data due to ignorance. The program requires a PC with good configuration, since it has innumerable functions that you may never use.

Nelsys from Nutrition supplements

Industry: Civil Engineering

Easy to use once you get it

I used AutoCAD throughout my university career and in the professional and labor fields. As a civil engineer, this is a program that you use almost daily.

Pros

It really is too useful and has too many functionalities in addition to many ways to do the same thing, so you just have to find the way that best suits you. For me it was not at all easy to use it at the beginning, it's like you open the program and it overwhelms you all there, but once you have it is extremely easy to use. Honestly it is a very extensive program and has additional extensions that you can add later for your particular use. There are functions that only civil engineers use, there are functions that only mechanical engineers or electrical engineers use, so I think it is very difficult to use the program in its gigantic totality, but that should not overwhelm you. Honestly it is not necessary to take a course to learn how to use it, on the internet this is all you need and after you understand it, it will be the best specialized drawing program you will find.

Cons

share the drawings and the different versions you have, because if you save a file in a version, it can not be displayed on another computer with an earlier version, so if you have the latest version, you should always remember to save the file in a format the previous versions. And Plotting a plane and the scales, that process should be more intuitive, it can really become a nightmare to move from the screen to the paper.

AutoCAD is to create

Pros

When technology is used to develop the capabilities of the human being, then it is considered part of the evolution of man. Saying "AutoCAD", independently that you do not know about the field to which it is addressed, it is already well known that it is an indispensable software for the creation of designs, used both in architects, as for most engineers, industrial designers, among others . This platform came to light (1984) and revolutionized the way of designing in all professionals, and in those that are not. To venture into this system is to give free rein to the design projects that you want to implement. Now, this is not a discovery, because it already has enough time in the market, so the only difference that can be seen in this review to differences from the others, is the term "indispensable" for all generations of "creators". As if that were not enough, and knowing the usefulness of this tool, the years have made its platform continue to develop with more useful tools within its system, to give it better functionality. Obviously, it is not the only software that is used to design and create, but without a doubt, it is the "dad" of the other versions

Cons

The only bad thing that could reduce the AutoCAD, is that being a design program so important, its evolution has generated that only some may have the opportunity to approach them, it requires a powerful and advanced computer to resist and produce the levels graphics that this software uses. Although, there are more "light" versions, one will always seek to have the best of all editions, so you will need a team to match. As if that were not enough, and knowing the usefulness of this tool, the years have made its platform continue to develop with more useful tools within its system, to give it better functionality. Obviously, it is not the only software that is used to design and create, but without a doubt, it is the "dad" of the other versions.

Amjad from Gulftainer

Industry: Maritime

Undisputed marked leader for Computer Aided Design

I personally love AutoCAD and consider myself quite proficient with it; however, I do believe that its days are numbered. BIM is the future and we're quickly moving there.

Pros

- an extremely versatile full-featured CAD software that has been leading innovation since 1980s - Works in 2D and 3D to create models and printable layouts - Once you master it, drafting and drawing will be extremely fast. - Can handle anything from simple sketches to multi-million dollar developments - Layout (Paper space) support is very good especially with batch plotting - Plenty of training resources and blocks are available online. Student version available for free too. - The user interface has evolved in the right direction over the last decade. - Great features are always being added.

Cons

- License is expensive for small companies - When you use AutoCAD, while extremely powerful, you are still creating 2D or 3D lines and shapes, not objects. Therefore, it pales in comparison to Revit, Civil3D and trade-specific AutoCAD versions which create "smart" objects rather than "stupid" lines. - Should have included some of the features that AutoDesk Quantity Takeoff had before it was scrapped. Since most people use it for surveying quantities. - Lack of default CAD standard don't make sense.

Muhammad from SQLA inc

the Backbone of every Design starts here

its a corner stone and base program i use to create designs and ideas. but now i feel people are moving to more 3D programs like Revit and AutoCad 3D , Skecth up and such.

Pros

it can be used for any type of work from making plans, sections, elevations to Drawing on the PC this is the easiest way to get an idea across the other side. i peronaly use this program to do landscape designs setting up base plans and then making layout sheets.

Cons

Expensive, updates every year but dont feel it changes much for me to buy a newer version. cant share CAD files with people that dont have it easily they need to install 3rd part programs to just view files. and the tablet version isnt easy to use.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD

its a program used by more people and causes less problems working with different hardware

A Fantastic Piece of Software!

My overall experience with AutoCAD is positive. I've been using it for years now and highly recommend it.

Pros

AutoCAD is AutoCAD users best kept secret, people assume this is a difficult piece of software to use but this isn't the case. AutoCAD is a fantastically versatile and easy to use package with great online support out there. I love how easily other pieces of software can integrate with it and how you can produce quality looking technical drawings within a relatively short time-span. For first time users I would recommend getting your head around commands and keyboard shortcuts as early as possible because in a short space of time you will find your speed of production is greatly improved by this.

Cons

I do feel that AutoDesk release too many new versions of the software and seem to have got into the Adobe thinking of a yearly release just for the sake of it. Also in more recent years, watching the design of the workspace alter from a command led system to a button led one feels like a step back to those of us who still speedily type in our commands rather than gazing at a sea of grey buttons. That said, at least Autodesk have left in an option to switch the workspace to the old layout for fossils like me.

AutoCAD: Jack of all trades, master of none

I briefly used AutoCAD before using Revit for all of my time at university. I then switched to AutoCAD when I started my internship, as they did not have Revit. It really just takes a lot more time to do the same things. For example, I was tasked with drawing up some interior elevations, which I could do in Revit by simply making a section.

Pros

Without AutoCAD, many essential industries in today's world would crumble. It has become such a useful and essential tool in pretty much all design fields. Even when it is not the preferred tool, it works well and can be used effectively.

Cons

Too many people learned this software, and are afraid to switch to much better tools that would save time and money in the longrun. The construction and architecture industry, for example, have Autodesk Revit, which does pretty much everything AutoCAD does and more. AutoCAD is fine, but Revit is just better for this industry.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD

My current job has not switched to Revit yet, unfortunately.

MILADY from INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE PARQUES (INPARQUES)

Excellence in the design edition of plans of any building.

Pros

I like it, because this program has extensive editing capabilities, which make digital drawing of building plans possible, fundamental in any study of architectural design or industrial engineering, making large structures with all their phases, giving different views of the plane, that allows to obtain the sanitary installations, electrical installations, distribution of beams in the roof, the landscaping and even the location of the distributions of the space with the furniture that occupies it. The divisions, thickness of walls, width and height will have the exact measurement as raised in the place of the building, each part will have its measure, as well as the location of objects that will be part of the project, all this in function of a better distribution of space. In the same graphic template several proposals can be made and in it can be opened tabs to carry out the specific design of the sanitary parts, electrical parts, part of the roof, part of beams, facades, among others, obviously each structure must be expressed from separate form.

Cons

The bad thing is that the program requires a good and powerful computer since they always add new features every time a new version comes out and it is heavier in each new version, I firmly believe that we have to have more resources in our computers to be able to solve adequate.

Christos from Texniko Grafeio Tsakmalis Christos

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Autocad is a excellent software and these are my pros and cons

Overall I wouldn ‘t change this program for all those that are on the market. They are just copies of it and all copies are lesser that this. I am using Autocad for making drawings for my customers of their homes or future home projects (I work as an architect and I civil engineer), print them, use them to take the building permission or just making some cool posters.

Pros

Autocad is what i like to say "a digital pen and paper". It has infinite cappabilities and is easy to learn. Usually if i have a question i get on youtube or autocad forums and i always find the best and easiest solution. It is the most widespread software on drawing so all know it or have it, and that helps if i want to connect with another person to just send the file and he can continue working on it or see it. It also uses on ly the ram of the pc so it works easily and does not need to buy a graphic card. You can draw on 2 or 3 dimensions, making it easy to do anything.

Cons

It is very expensive. There are a lot of software out there that copy this program and are much cheaper even if they do not have all the benefits of this program. Also the way Autodesk now charges per year is good if you buy it for one year but if you want this program for many years is even more expensive.

Jennifer from Architect

The classic of classics

I have known AutoCAD since my first year of architecture, and 8 years later, despite all the new programs that have come out, I still use it in my day to day.

Pros

The best thing about AutoCAD is without a doubt its simplicity, it's such an intuitive program that you can perfectly learn it and perfect it in a self-taught way. Until today, a design/construction professional should or should use AutoCAD: is the classic of classics.

Cons

The famous "Fatal Error" that make you lose hours of work, is always a headache.

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD

Autocad is the program that opens the doors to the architecture of today. No matter what programs you use, autocad is a basic that will accompany you wherever you go.

Libio from MPPVH

Excellent digitizer

Pros

It allows me to digitize plans quickly and safely, I can identify each element on the plane by creating its attributes individually. I can also associate the information with an existing database. Your final product is generally compatible with other CAD programs. For the cartographic production it is excellent, since I can easily manipulate all the symbols and regroup them on the map individually. I can create geometric figures keeping the independence between them. When I digitize maps I can differentiate each of the cartographic elements, I can digitize them with satellite images and with maps. I can use database and associate it with the elements of the map without altering the information. From the digitized data and the attributive information I can produce cartographic maps with excellent marginal information and complying with the basic norms for the creation of cartographic maps and plans at scales of anything that one wants to represent, such as pipes, houses, shopping centers, buildings, etc.

Cons

It takes a lot of memory on the computer for processing. The acquisition of the license is very expensive. It is portable to us. High performance computers are required to work comfortably. It does not allow the georeferencing of satellite images. I think the hatch feature needs some tweaking. Often times the program won't hatch, thinking my lines don't meet up when in fact they do. Sometimes the dimension lines can interfere with the hatch reading the lines correctly.

Marsha from eGov Jamaica Ltd.

I first used AutoCAD in early 2000 and have like the improvements sinc

I use this software for drafting and every drawing need a draft. Another feature is to import file and this file get a picture and trace out that picture and drawing. I have seen it used for things like creating blueprints for buildings, bridges and computer chips to name a few. AutoCAD is 2D and 3D computer aided drafting software application and this makes it easy sometimes I will edit with pencil after doing a print.

Pros

Cons

I really dont have much bad to say about Autocad as the application has gotten better over time the only thing I would just say is the performance and compatibility with RAM and the memory you need free on your computer. Also, the updates from Autodesk are a little tedious and can slow down your performance but you then only need to downgrade your service packs and problem fixed

Luiz Henrique from B. Grob

Industry: Machinery

Main advantages and disadvantages

I'm integrating AutoCAD with a tools management system (TDM Systems), some preset machines (Zoller and Kelch) and Siemens CAD/CAM environment (NX12, Teamcenter).

Pros

It's so easy to start working with AutoCAD (comparing with other CAD softwares, like TopSolid and NX). AutoCAD is so flexible, easily adaptable in many different environments (Zoller and Kelch preset machines, TDM Systems, etc.).

Cons

Compared to other CAD softwares, it fails on automation issues (for example, creating automatic views) and on time needed to rewiew the technical drawing. In many cases AutoCAD is expensive, we need to evaluate well where to use and save up license numbers.

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD

Although AutoCAD is more expensive, it works much better in environments with other integrated softwares.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD

AutoCAD has some specific features, that are so important to work integrated. They are: the drawing can have many different layers, there are very good features, Autocad works very well with DXF drawings (exportation and importation), there are many different features that can define for lines, dimensions.

Gurukaran Singh from Bella Interiors

If your a Designer You need to know AUTOCAD !!

Well I personally love this product and use it on a daily basis on all my projects its fast efficient easy and smart tool for any designer.

Pros

1/ Best drawing too which makes your life simpler by creating any plans / drawings / elevations etc no matter how complicated it is. 2/ Lets you work in the dimensions you prefer and are comfortable with 3/ You can draw 2D and 3D drawings with smooth transition 4/ Work in Layers so that you dont have to delete or redo anything if you dont want it at a particular time 5/ Save drawings in any format you like or change the year of Autocad file so that it opens and works fine in other persons system 6/ very user friendly and easy keyboard shortcuts which helps time and increases your efficiency to design. 7/ Available for all operating systems 8/ Free for Students and educators 9/ You can work with 20+ different languages on autocad 10/ Many free tutorials for beginners to learn and adapt

Cons

1/ Doesn't work very efficiently on MAC machines like it works on the windows machines 2/ Expensive license fees 3/ Need more enhancement on 3D models

Project design

AutoCAD is a program that has provided me with many calculations such as: angles, areas, distances, among others. It has helped me to put many proposals for the moment. And more tools needed in my work environment.

Pros

AutoCAD is a software of world reference in the design of projects for the area of civil and other engineering, allows the development of transport, urban and environmental projects in a simple and efficient way. With AutoCAD you can cover the necessary aspects for the works framed within projects of Civil Engineering and Topography. With this software I have been able to make proposals with any of the requirements required in my work. It brings many functions that facilitate the collection of data such as: area, volume, distance, among others.

Cons

I believe that this software has only one disadvantage for those who draw attention to the fact that when drawing you must be doing actions in a repetitive way. It will be action that you have to be willing to perform several times to complete the drawings. Now, another disadvantage is that the user does not know all the tools and does not reach to develop the whole program.

Francis Carolina from elbrunchshow.wordpress.com

Robust tool for architectural drawing

During my experience in urban cadastre, I used this tool, to digitize the plot surveys, in an agile and very efficient way. These surveys have millimeter spatial measurements, which must be maintained when drawing the object that is a geometric solid, that is, it must be closed completely. Sometimes these measurements have been taken in the wrong way in the field and only at the moment of digitizing this drawing is the error checked.

Pros

It is a powerful software that has been strengthened over time. It is so dynamic and versatile that it is used by a wide range of professionals, from animators to surveyors and geographers like me. What I like most is its precision in terms of drawing objects with measurements, with very specific area and volume, it stands out over other tools with similar functions. It is the most precise tool I have known so far to make parcel drawings and urban plans efficiently. Very important for the digitization of topographic surveys, very necessary for the management of the cadastre.

Cons

It is not an easy-to-use software. You must spend a lot of time studying with tutorials or paid courses to learn how to use it and even then there is no guarantee that you will handle all the functions of Autocad, it depends on the professional area where you are going to be employed.

Gerardo from Nelson Adams Naco

Great software with a huge capacity for drafting.

Pros

AutoCad can be used easily to draft in many types of industry. As an architect this is my standard Cad software, I use AutoCad daily to make architectural projects, construction plans, reviews, make presentations, export drawings to other programs, etc. With its useful tools and commands as, layer, types of lines, styles, printing scales is quicker and easy to draft all my ideas and then fill them with all the information that the project require. I can handle all this information very organized and make corrections easily when I needed. AutoCad also offers preciseness which can be always used in the calculations of the project.

Cons

I use AutoCad for my Architecture projects, which is a field that requires a lot of graphic vision. Maybe AutoCad could advance in the field of aesthetic options, more hatch and patterns for example. Also, the hatch often gives me errors and it's a bit difficult to apply or tend to lag at times. It's not very good when it comes to just making 3D Rendering, I have to definitely use another program to do it. Another disadvantage is that AutoCad is being relegated by BIM programs specially Revit in which you can handle more information in the model and easily make modifications on the file.

A great software which provide flexibity and simplicity to computer aided drawings

It saves time and makes drawings and documentation faster and presentable

Pros

1. It has great features to manage small to large projects 2. Provides exact details and measurement 3. Great flexibility of usage 4. Coordination of entire construction drawing, design and documentation is much easier 5. Saves time

Cons

1. Expensive startup cost 2. Takes time to ensure proper mastery of features 3. There are limited file formats it support 4. The software needs strong processing power 5. Expensive professional training

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD

Its simplicity, more features, flexibility of usage, and time saving.

JOSE from INCOSTAS

Industry: Oil & Energy

It is a software that we use for the design of our products, with which we draw our solutions.

It has allowed us to deliver high quality products to our customers in a short time. He has made our professions, very competitive people and has energized our work.

Pros

I like the almost unlimited options you have to draw. I like the numerous menus of options that it has, as well as its automatic adaptation for each case. The use of a command line to manage the software makes it easier to use and therefore its use. Easily integrates with resources and files from other applications. Its integration with other programs of the autodesk suite, makes its use in the design of engineering projects almost indispensable. Its precision is remarkable. The integration for the use of this software for the handling of the plotters and equipment of exit helps notably in the operation of production.

Cons

I do not like that it has limitations to handle more than 600 thousand points. When we have needed to manage several .dwg files of different versions, the software can be fragile, it hangs up or it just comes out. The availability of help on errors is not so good. The network licensing system, for the moment of its activation must be easier to activate in the work stations. The management of vectorized images is not as powerful as it can fail faster if this number of images are larger when they are in the same plane and that is a problem. External references can be more versatile and easier to handle and even for different network locations and protocols.

Big Mining user

Is a worldwide know and use program. In the mining companies is very common. Im very satistified.

Pros

The newers version and the integration with the different software. The use of .dxf to work with different external autocad programs that are used in mining, for example the most common vulcan. Also for big project Naviswork represent a light presentation for clients in order to see and manage or the different discipline in the engineering .

Cons

Despite integration, there are limitations in big project and different disciplines. Also, working with old versions that work under bad standards generates many errors in the CAD, and sometimes it is difficult to eliminate them (lines, references, etc.). One other thing that is difficult to use around our global office and clients is that in order to obtain the potencial of the software everyone have to work with the same standard. And in some project we are using not all the tools that autocad offers. The price for some clients is very expensive and they only use viewers.

JOSE from VENTURI ENGINEERS LLC

The Industry Standard

Good for the most part. Software can be buggy and therefore we like to be 6-months to 1-year behind the most current version.

Pros

It is the main tool that we use for our industry (Civil Engineering) and it is essential. Helps us be efficient with drawing setup/creation as well as calculations.

Cons

Pressure Networks are still a work in progress. I wish it was as easy to use as Pipe Networks. Also, every couple of years the way files are saved changes, forcing people to have the most current version.

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD

Familiar with the product and it is the industry standard.

Sue from Marisoo Art

Construction and design

I used AutoCAD spacial design, fitting test equipment into set facilities space. I also used it to design electrical test boxes for automotive plants. This program allowed me to keep very specific design details on record and for others to recreate these test boxes. I used it to design test fixtures by creating print for the machine shop to manufacture all our test equipment fixtures to environmental, mechanical and statistical testing.

Pros

Ease of use is what drew me to auto cad in the first place. I had limited training and I was able to sit down and play with it and the menu's and teach myself to design and verify fit and function. I used it for everything from selection and placement of office furniture to machine placement optimization. I designed test fixtures and prints for electrical boxes. There really was no end to Auto CAD uses.

Cons

3d aspects were hard to understand for me although I'm sure with the proper training this wouldn't have been the case. Most CAD users have college courses under their belts. Sometimes my design would get off axis and I'd have a very difficult time understanding what happened and how to set it back on the correct plane. Use of layers was challenging but once understood it's really helpful in breaking down your designs.

Vaughan from WSP

Still the best contender

It is a fantastic piece of software that is unfortunately lead by a corporation that is too big for itself and the small matters don't get attended to. It still remains one of the best pieces of software on the market due to the amount of features it has and the ability to interact with other software. There are cheaper, faster alternatives out there that do work very well and try to mimick AutoCAD. However AutoCAD is very much ingrained in the industry and it will be hard to remove!

Pros

The sheer amount of customization and integrated features makes AutoCAD worthwhile. The ability to use LISP routines and get the software to do what you want. AutoCAD is a basic CAD platform, so you can't go about generating Surface models and the like, but it does do normal drafting very well.

Cons

Autodesk has the habit of not addressing old issues from within the software. For instance there are certain bugs that they have known about for over 5 years and done nothing about. This as well as the "new features" which, while great also tend to come at a cost - being slow and clunky.

AutoCAD offers everything you need for drawing ...if you only need to draw

Pros

Due to its long history and features, AutoCAD has become a de facto standard. I love that they still keep the Command Line Interface, which I still find it the fastest way to interact with the software and an excellent way to use it even though its interface uses another locale that I don't understand. Although I haven't seen many improvements in recent times (or not at the same speed and importance as it used to do in early 2000's), it does offer all the features you may need to draw efficiently, fast and with precision.

Cons

It is just a computer aided design program, which means that it is in drawing where it excels. Unfortunately, Architecture has evolved in another direction and it is now more complex than ever. As a result, we have to deal with a lot of information that do not fit within AutoCAD (eg. quantity surveying, PEM, reporting, energy...) and require either complex workflows involving many other software or using a BIM solution.

Paul from CRSNI Ltd.

Getting a bit old and clunky, but still my best drawing board

It just keeps you in the loop, allows you to view drawings from a wide range of industries from construction to architecture to engineering, all freely able to collaborate on the same platform.

Pros

I like the fact that this software is used by so many different users and businesses across industry. Most of the time, if an associate cannot have access to the more expensive 3D platforms, they will more than likely have access to ACAD. Another great point is that it is always backwards compatible, so no matter what version the other parties are working in, I can still save my drawings in an older version format for them.

Cons

The software has been evolving over the last 20 years as I have been using it. Some changes have been good, others have been an attempt to keep up with other popular 3D packages. This has led to some very complicated tasks but most importantly, the software seems to get clunky and use up a lot of processing power and memory when installed. A small price to pay to have the daddy of them all available to you.

Tharindu from Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project

Industry: Civil Engineering

The Drafting Software that'll do everything!

In a rapidly changing world, the software we use change everyday, as we replace the one we are using now to a better one next month. This is even faster with engineering related software. But with everything else changing, AutoCAD has been the exception for me, going strong for nearly two decades now. The package keeps on improving year after year, with new feature being added to further enhance the user experience. It's nearly impossible to imagine continuing our design/ drafting work without AutoCAD anymore. Even the knowledge and experience in this software has become a job requirement in most engineering firms now.

Pros

Over the years, AutoCAD has evolved to be the perfect drafting tool for all engineering applications, and one that is no longer replaceable nor substitutable. It features the most comprehensive and easy to use tool set out there, helping you create any complicated drawing from scratch.

Cons

Autodesk AutoCAD has never been a cheap software. It's priced with the professional draftsperson in mind, and you'll have no 'limited' or 'free' versions beyond the trial period.

Robyn from Freelance

Industry: Architecture & Planning

AutoCAD for all your 2D draughting needs and more.

I use AutoCAD for all my 2D draughting and presentations and it is yet to fail me. However, I leave the 3D modeling in this software for the trained and more experienced folk.

Pros

When I first started using AutoCAD, I was quite intimidated by the program but soon learned that it is actually very simple to use. The keyboard commands are straight forward making 2D draughting easy no matter how complex the curves. It also integrates seamlessly with other industry programs. After using the software, it is clear why it is one of the leading industry standards. It is the one program that can do it all.

Cons

Though 2D draughting is easy to learn in AutoCAD, things become a lot more complex when switching to 3D. One easily gets lost when accidentally orbiting the screen and it is one of those accidents that happen way too often for my comfort. I once experimented with the user interface and was lost for weeks until I was finally able to change it back; a simple "undo" would have helped.

Julio César from Universidad Regional Autónoma de los Andes - CTT de los Andes

An essential digital tool for every Architecture professional or student.

I truly think that no other program in the market nowadays offers what autocad does, its tridimensional design options can really make up for its high cost and somehow complicated usage options, Nevertheless, every time I have the options of creating accurate detailed objects, well delineated, with desired backgrounds and colors, I feel that I really hav the appropriate tool.

Pros

Autocad is a more than capable designing tool, it features hundreds of different options that guarantee an outstanding overcome in any architectural or general object or space design project you might face. As a non-professional designer, I have found it very convenient to use this powerful software. It might be a little complicated to get the handle of ir at first, eventually becomes a necessary tool for completing complex 3d-2d drawings, Moreover, thanks to its sleek presentation (especially if you count on a powerful pc, which is my case), three dimension projects can be seen with superb level of detail, facilitating the display of each one of the elements that althogueter make up the construction in general, as well as the planning and execution phases of the projects as well. AutoCAD has proven to b immensely relevant for me because it allows to be more efficient, time and money wise, since I do not really need to hire other professionals for the completion of my projects. Another cool feature of this software is how well presented it is, offering a wide set of options to work in the preview, I can work on the frame, the legend, the graphic scale, just to name a few, I can even insert several images, according to my needs.

Cons

Considering its nature, this software might be a little complicated to use for newcomers or amateurs in the field of architecture. Plus, its price might be a little high for some people as well. However, these are not serious issues.

Mariana from Corporación Venezolana de Mineria, S.A ; CVM

The Autocad 3D Software, is an excellent program ideal to create, design, correct plans and drawings

Contains associative arrays, point cloud tools, active geographic and cartographic location, enhanced interface, ribbon gallery, help window, intelligent dimensioning, coordination model, image-based lighting environments, import of pdf files, share design views, Autodesk writing application, lines and brands of smart centers, Autocad 360 Pro mobile application. And most importantly, you will use an excellent easy work tool, practice to create, read, and modify designs in your workplace and it will be very useful.

Pros

It has several advantages among these are the following: In my own experience when I met this program being a university, I found it was time-saving, since once you learn how to use it, you can make plans more easily and quickly. It has many functions for different areas of engineering, such as mechanical, civil or electrical, electronic, metallurgical, which makes it very broad software, apart from being very dynamic, it is only with a tutorial that you start using it. It is not necessary to take a course or diploma, It uses command and codes and buttons and is very friendly at the beginning. The design software replaces the drawings by hand with automated processes.

Cons

One of the biggest disadvantages is: You must have a computer with high memory capacity, because if you have many drawings or designs, this program will be slow at the time of operation. The program has a high cost, due to its license. Knowing how to use the software fully requires a lot of time since there are many functions, and even that they are of little application, since they are very specific. AutoCAD can not edit the line and location as freely as the edition programs-- illustration and overlapping lines and line thicknesses are limited to a few options.

This software has been the best choice since I've tried it for the first time

It saves me a lot of time It allows me to work from my house

Pros

-You can use it on many work fields due to its versatility. -You can work with archives of another softwares by only importing them, and you can export on another formats too. -Its reccommend to those who are students of engineering and other careers similar. -It easy to handle with lines, geometric figures, arcs. -It allows to change the thickness, lengthen or cut the lines or edges of the figures -It fill figures with solid colors or textures. -It allows me to make the plans on a scale and print it with another scale greater or less than the one designed. -In addition, you can work multiple windows, copy images from one window to another, copy images from different files, you can export documents, tables and images from other software. -You can save the data as a pdf file -It complete all the basic requirement to work in 2d.

Cons

-Its interface is a little bit confusing sometimes -Autocad work on Windows and MAC. -You must have a small notion of how the program work, if not, you couldn't start even to make a line. -You could know the basic with a tutorial when you install the program, but you will be more successful if you are take classes -You have to know something about design to use this software, this a specialize software, the set of feature are huge but if you do not know anything about design you won´t know how to use this software. -It is not suited for 3D beacause it requires high-quality computer hardware that can be costly and the people need to be trained how to use the software that also can be expensive.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 2,038 reviews