• Pros

• "Foundation was fairly user friendly and had several features that worked well with the construction industry. The payroll module was thorough and easy to use."

• "Very user friendly, great trainer and customer service"

• "Extremely intuitive. Great functionality out of the box. The ability to easily write our own reports is a huge benefit."

• Cons

• "Security was not as good at the beginning. Doing good now."

• "There are a lot of add-ons that cost extra. Also, it would be great if there was some stuff you couple permanently delete so it would show up anymore."

• "i guess not the newest modern software out there? No real complain here, some of the complain you need to put in to context and the company size"

Browse FOUNDATION Construction Accounting Reviews

Wendy from Advanced Comfort Solutions, Inc.

Happy new customer!

We are very new to using the software and are still learning, however, we are very happy with all aspects of the software and find it very easy to use and get the help we need when we need it.

Pros

Very user friendly, great trainer and customer service

Cons

We like everything about this software so far.

Reasons for Choosing FOUNDATION Construction Accounting

Foundations had all the software and additional modules that we need and felt it would be best suited for our business.

Ed from LLD Electric Co

Good product for construction companies

Our users regularly give positive feedback, finding Foundation easier to use than our prior system. Support is excellent - we can submit help tickets online through the software and get calls back within 60-90 minutes (faster for the few times we indicated it was a critical issue). They use a customized version of TeamViewer to connect to our system and walk us through new processes or show us how to resolve problems.

Pros

Consistency of workflow across modules, tight integration with their Payroll4Construction product, and minimal conflicts when multiple users are in the same module. Our prior accounting system gave us conflicts daily. Posting is also a streamlined process with good paperless options. It is easy to modify print templates for invoices, checks, etc.

Cons

The report module could be a bit more robust in terms of creating custom reports. But we've been able to build reports that meet our needs, even they aren't quite as customized as in our prior system (which used Crystal Reports).

Steven from Chicago Heights Glass, Inc.

Maybe good for accounting but not anything else..

I think the accounting staff finds this software acceptable.

Pros

I'm dubious of any review that gives this software 5/5. I cannot fathom how any honest and daily user of this software would rate it this high. I can only assume the accounting portion of this software is useful. The project management and documentation modules are weak at best. These modules to have been added only to allow this to be advertised as a complete construction enterprise software.

Cons

I've been using this software for 10 years. I'm not a programmer but this software appears to be pretty outdated w/ a feeble attempt to give it a moderately current appearance. The buttons & menus are very reminiscent of Windows 95 type software. I have never seen a display or output remotely close to the screen shots offered on Foundations's website & marketing literature. I suspect these screen shots have been developed for sales & marketing. The actual software does not look like this. The actual user interface is very unattractive & outdated. The user interface is also very unfriendly. Most of the data input fields / windows are very small. Furthermore the data entry fields are fixed in size. You cannot increase the size even by adjusting the size of the window. They are fixed making typing and editing difficult. I often times write my text in MS Word then copy it into Foundation. Another work around is to write the body of your order in MS Excel or MS word & attach it to a basic non-descript cover sheet prepared in Foundation. This work around is effective for orders, Submittals, RFIs, etc. The included forms are very generic & hardly usable. Developing company specific forms is expensive & cumbersome. Forget custom support. It exists in name only. Major flaws: user interface-fixed data entry fields-no spell check-no UNDO button-long standing bugs that remain, ineffective customer support.

Response from Foundation Software

Replied July 2018

Hi Steven and thanks for providing your feedback. We¿d like to get a better understanding of how you use our accounting software and, more specifically, the project management features since it sounds like your issues are mostly related to that module. A Project Management support specialist will be in touch to start the conversation.

Diane from Congressional Iron Works, Inc.

FOUNDATION Construction Accounting Review

I have found this software to cover the majority of what I needed, and find that new things are added on a regular basis Customer Service is great. FSI has been great helping with forms to support our needs.

Pros

Liked that it had a Construction Friendly Platform.

Cons

Security was not as good at the beginning. Doing good now.

Reasons for Choosing FOUNDATION Construction Accounting

Provided the forms we needed such a AIA with ease of use and expandable to suit our growing needs. Reporting for Job Costing. Oh, and you sent great marketing mailers.

Doreen from Dearborn Mid West Company

Great Union Payroll System

We have a very complicated payroll for the simple fact that we are a multi state, multi union company. This means many different rates of pay, taxation tables and unions, as well as our Administration and Shop payrolls. P4C thru Foundation has been able to handle this with ease and I really am happy with the service they have provided to us in the past 2 1/2 years. I hope to continue a much longer relationship with them. Whenever a support call is logged, usually one of the 2 reps. call back almost immediately and help work through any issue, no matter how long it takes. They are personable and professional and always helpful. Reliable system, easy time entry and reports generated are very easy to read.

Pros

I love the fact that P4C can handle all of our multi state and multi union (sometimes up to 55 different unions) Time entry is very easy, and includes attaching hours to jobs and tasks with ease. The system is very user friendly and the Support staff is phenomanal. Generates great union reports, job costing and also great HR reports as well, such as 401k reporting. We can process same day layoff checks which is a must for union payrolls. Also not charged by the number of employees in the system as with other payroll companies. I love that it is web based so i can work from anywhere. They are able to create payroll cycles, so each cycle can have a different address, and they deliver the checks to the exact locations. So i can enter all my time and be assured that jobs in other states have checks go directly to the location versus coming here.

Cons

I don't like that if i have multiple payroll cycles computed and i have to purge one, that it will purge ALL computed cycles, not just the one I had chosen.

October 2011

Jane from Cary & Associates Builders, Inc.

October 2011

Cary & Associates Builders, Inc. is an award-winning Full Service General Contractor specializing in negotiated projects for the Design and Construction of Commercial, Industrial, Winery and Agricultural buildings. We used a very well-known complex construction software for approximately 18 years. Through the years, the problems with the software were accompanied by inordinate increases in support fees. We discussed each year whether to renew our support or look for another construction software. In April of 2003, it became obvious that the software could not be kept up and running and we had constant "crashes". At the same time we received the next year's support contract for about $6,000. It was the last straw for us. I began a search for a new software because I knew our system would crash as soon as our support ran out (which it did). I interviewed everyone I could locate and talked to our subcontractors. Our CFO said that ultimately I would have to go with my "gut" feeling and pick one. He said if it did not work out, we would just buy another one next year and we would still be ahead of the game. All my instincts said to buy FOUNDATION. With a lot of trepidation, I purchased the software and bought a ticket to Cleveland to attend training. FOUNDATION was able to help me before I got to class by transferring my Vendors, Job Numbers, Cost Codes, etc. into my new FOUNDATION Software. I had pulled my G/L down in the middle of our FYE and was ready to open it as soon as I knew what I was doing. Surprisingly, by the end of the week, we ran my first payroll right in class! We spread open my G/L and we were ready to go. They dropped my information off on a disk and I headed for home. The following Monday, we rolled FOUNDATION out on our server and have never had so much as a glitch in anything, let alone a crash. Once it was up and running, our team has able to learn the system easily. It is very user-friendly. Any problems or questions, you can click on the support button and get a call back in about 20 minutes! They can also connect directly to your computer (with permission) and help show you how to fix a problem (human generated) or they will fix it for you! Love it! We have benefited in so many ways it would be hard to describe them all. We are currently on version 11.9 and FOUNDATION has just rolled out their new automated update that updates your server and clients automatically! I suppose one of the biggest benefits is the amount of time it has saved. I used to work every holiday due to having to make hard closures, etc. but with FOUNDATION I have not worked a holiday since 2003! This system is astoundingly efficient. The AIA billing is easily reversed if an architect or owner decides on a different amount. The certified payroll is a dream. Although we are not union, it prepares multi-state, multi-county, multi-union etc. It does a wonderful printout for the 941 and in California our DE9. Our CPA loves the Fixed Asset module. He framed the first print out since he said he had never had one so accurate. Quite simply, we love FOUNDATION! We get great customer service from real people and a software solution that keeps progressing and enlarging on concepts to help construction companies!

Annette from Blessing Construction

Love FOUNDATION Software

The accounting Feature in FOUNDATION is so easy to use...you enter the data and it takes care of the rest. Reports you can print help save the company time and money, and all you have to do is hit print. FOUNDATION even allows you to Export the report into an Excel file that you can easily sort.

Pros

Every aspect of FOUNDATION is user friendly! If I do run into issues, they have the most amazing support team I have ever been in contact with. FOUNDATION takes care of every function in the Construction business, including keeping your inventory for you so you don't have to spend the entire weekend crunching numbers. I have never spoken to a more happy support team than the one FOUNDATION has...they choose and train their employees with utmost care, and they are extremely patient and accommodating if you don't understand after they have explained. They spend the necessary time with you to help you understand every aspect.

Cons

I have had one instance where I couldn't get something from the software that I didn't want. Lo and Behold it was added in the next software update. FOUNDATION listens to their customers and makes improvements based on those suggestions.

Sherri from Hoff Mechanical Inc.

All encompassing software program

I would highly recommend this program to contracting and construction businesses that employ 20+ people and also wants to track maintenance for equipment. The program, in my opinion, is not cost effective for smaller businesses

Pros

Very user friendly, if you have a basic understanding of accounting practices, it is easy to figure out where to go or what to do to find things, or fix errors. The report are easy to find, run & read. Customer service is excellent! The company hosts a training week for the software that is incredibly beneficial for both new & seasoned users. This software is similar to People Soft in what it can do without the complications and confusions!

Cons

Some of the add on programs (such as project management) appear to be unnecessary or even over complicated. You purchase a specific number of "seats" for users to log on which can be a huge hassle if you do not have enough seats, as it leaves employees waiting for others to finish up their work or stop mid-stream so that another user can log on and work.

MARC from SYSTEM PAVERS

Great solution for our needs

Extremely happy with the product. Very functional and great value for money.

Pros

The interface is very user friendly and running MS Query through the SQL database allows for many different reports.

Cons

Some standard built in reports in the payroll module are not that comprehensive.

Neal from Adams Masonry, Inc.

All around great accounting and project management software package.

Great accounting system with additional project management features.

Pros

Foundation has more features and options then I can hope to use. It is able to be configured and set up work work around any business work flow and accounting style. Our accountants love it and the senior management loves it because they can quickly and easily get a overview of the financial status of the company then drill down to individual invoices and pay applications if they want to. The project management module allows our project management team to tie in everything they generate and respond to the project.

Cons

Some of the features feel tacked on with little integration between the different modules. The project management system could definitely be easier to use and more intuitive.

May 2013

Shelli from P.J. Albert, Inc.

May 2013

My family owns a complete Road Construction business. We have been in business for over 32 years and have tried many accounting programs. They all were lacking something. Most were just not construction specific or were more geared towards buildings and had very few vague options for Road Work. The other down side was the cost increased every year for support and maintenance, and the programs were just not user friendly! We read an article about Foundation Software in a construction magazine, which in part listed Foundation Software as America’s #1 construction accounting software. We decided to look into it and get a demo cd. We could tell right away this program made sense. It was like the staff at Foundation was running a Road Construction business and knew exactly where everything needed to flow and offered all the options we had been longing for. A few months later, we purchased Foundation Software for windows and could not be happier!!!! The implementation went very smoothly and only took a couple of months. The training was very easy and the support staff is extremely knowledgeable. With Foundation, we have saved time and money. We used to have 4 people in the office inputting different information into our accounting program. We were able to cut down to 2, comfortably. The modules are integrated perfectly and therefore double entry of items is no longer necessary. Foundation Software is extremely user friendly and is setup to fit your specific needs – customized for the way you run your business! Just a few of our favorite things about Foundation Accounting Software - the Date Genie easily creates and customizes just about any report to fit your needs, cutting back almost entirely on manual spreadsheets. You can add notes to a vendor’s record, a job, or a customer, and then view that note in reports. There are no updates or software versions to pay for – just continuous enhancing of the program and the annual fee stays at 18% of the purchase price. The reports offer a wide range of filtering and sorting options – allowing for very specific reporting. Certified payroll reports cover all required forms with a wide variety of options– no need for a manual weekly hours and minority spreadsheet. Import bid’s from estimating software to create estimates and AIA forms– no need to manually type them. Also, we have found answers to most questions/issues by clicking on the help button whereas with previous programs we had to wait to receive a call back. Sometimes it took a day or more! Finally, you can set up each module to prevent errors like double entry, paying a vendor who has an outdated certificate of insurance, posting to a closed gl period, and much much more!

Francesca from G.R. Osterland

Industry: Utilities

FOUNDATION Construction Accounting

FOUNDATION for our business, is just that, our Foundation. It has become a valuable part of our everyday input and reporting that keeps us organized and compliant. We utilize many of the modules and learn more about the Software features every day. We appreciate the very helpful Customer Support and use it often for help. They answer efficiently and walk you through things, so it also teaches you to better use the software. We are very happy with FOUNDATION and only hope to incorporate it more into our daily and yearly tasks.

Pros

FOUNDATION is user friendly, but there are many advanced features that allow for great reporting and organization. We enjoy utilizing the many Modules for different aspects of our business and it keeps all of our information in one place that is easy to call up, report and organize. We are able to efficiently answer questions and share information and it has become invaluable to our business.

Cons

There are sometimes small features that we realize they could implement, for instance, when there is a long list, there would be a search bar available.

December 2012

Mandi from IET Corporation

December 2012

We are a low voltage electrical/telecommunications company that started in June 2006. In 2009 our company was beginning to outgrow the capacity of Quickbooks. We needed something that would give us a more in depth look at job costing as well as track our expenses and all other apsects of doing business. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into and how far we could take Foundation. We implemented Foundation on January 1, 2010 and are still learning functions everyday that contiue to help us grow! We have grown to a multi-million dollar a year company and we truly believe that we wouldn't have come this far without Foundation. With the detailed job costing we are able to see exactly to the penny where every job comes in at as well as calculate our rates for estimating purposes. We run our accounts payable, accounts receiveable, and payroll all through Foundation. The ease of doing AIA billing as well as certified payroll with a click of a button was one of the major reasons we first looked at Foundation. Today, we couldn't survive without Foundation. We have three administrators that work in Foundation daily to enter all of the information and we have 6 project managers that view reports daily. To this day, my husband, Owner and President no longer has to rely on the information for the jobs, costs, accounts payable accounts receiveable and many other things being kept in his head or many notebooks because he can rely on the detailed information that he can see in Foundation. We purchase the webinars every year along with the support and updates because we want to continue to grow with Foundation and we want to make sure that we are learning everything that we can. Switching from one accounting system to another is a big project, but this one was well worth it. We love working with the customer service and technical departments. Everyone is so helpful and makes sure that all of your needs are taken care of. As a side note, we also love seeing the Christmas Cards that are sent out each year! It reminds us that everyone at Foundation is a person and it really puts into perspective how much everyone must really love being a part of the Foundation team!

June 2011

Ronald from Lighthouse Electric

June 2011

Lighthouse Electric is a commercial / industrial electrical contractor operating primarily in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio. We are a union shop dealing with many local electricians, laborers, carpenters and operating engineers. We routinely employ several hundred tradesmen. Our software quest started with a goal: increase volume by 50% without adding overhead. That was 2001 and we soon realized our current accounting software was detrimental at current levels and could not support such an increase. We started looking for new software, prioritizing stability, support and functionality. We compiled a list of functions necessary to support our business. The candidates were narrowed to three who could support our efforts. Foundation Software had a clear edge in all three categories and, surprisingly, was the least expensive. We took the opportunity to reexamine our processes and develop streamlined procedures, taking advantage of Foundation’s features. We had in-house training and imported data for jobs, employees, customers and vendors. We paralleled a few payrolls, tested other systems and went live in January 2002. We accomplished our business goal in two years. Currently we operate at 300% of our 2001 sales level with a few more people but the majority of them are estimators and project managers. Foundation continues to add features and functions but stays true to its core competencies: stability, support and functionality. We are certainly proof of their scalability. Foundation provides outstanding job costing and the unprecedented ability to reproduce any report back to your first transaction. The support staff is well-trained and very responsive, traits that are found in all the employees I have encountered at Foundation software. Utilizing Foundation’s data genies (report writer) and Crystal Reports to access the MS-SQL data base, it is a very rare instance when we cannot provide information requested from internal or external sources. Our relationship with Foundation Software is a truly a partnership. Currently, we are using Foundation for Windows version 11.6. There are usually several updates per year which we apply without reservation.

Noel from Colvico

Great software

Over all I am happy we have it. The reports are easy to use and entering invoices, jobs, vendors and all that is easy. Their customer service is probably the best I have seen.

Pros

Easy to use. I did not have a lot of training but figured it out pretty fast. When I cant find something or do something, their customer service is right there helping. I love that they can take control and show you where to go.

Cons

Response from Foundation Software

Replied November 2018

Noel, thank you for your great review! We're so glad you've been having success on FOUNDATION. Absolutely keep reaching out to our support department whenever you need help, and if there's ever anything else we can do for you and your company, just let us know! -Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

lou from ASL

Strong Program, lack of support and updates

There are better programs out there.

Pros

The program does it all besides estimating. Has a good system of checks and balances and everything is tracked so very hard for employees to cover their tracks. It does a lot well but everything has its hiccups.

Cons

There are several things I dislike about the product as it has so much potential to be 10x better yet they have no ambition to make it better. 95% up the updates released by foundation software are fixes to glitches or problems. Very rarely is there an actual new feature or upgrade to the program. There are several flaws with the program that would be easy to fix, which have been suggested but go unanswered. Such as the pages scroll very awkwardly, they jump at the end of the page onto the next page but not at the top of the page. Very difficult to review a report on the screen when it keeps going back and forth. Their support team must have a very high turnover as everytime I call I know more than the person who is suppose to be providing the support. To their credit they do go and get the right answer and get back to you but the typical resolution to a problem is 24 hours. For us 2 hours is a long time when your waiting on an important resolution such as payroll.

Response from Tracie

Replied July 2017

Hi Al. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your thoughts on FOUNDATION. Honestly it is not what we expected to hear from you and are deeply concerned about your disappointment. We strive to produce the absolute best product and service for our clients, although we understand at times using new software can be frustrating. One of our training managers will reach out this week to coordinate a time that’s convenient for you and discuss your concerns in greater detail. We hope that you will take our call so we can work toward resolving any outstanding issues and make FOUNDATION a successful accounting investment for your construction business. We look forward to working with you.

August 2016

Stephanie from Gunter Construction Company

August 2016

Considering moving back to QuickBooks or another product

Pros

The thing I really like is that we can process Multi-state payroll on all our employees on 1 check, whereas before on Quick Books we had to give each employee 2 payroll checks.

Cons

Their trainers and support staff do not know every piece of the system, yet we as users are supposed to know everything. We have had to call support numerous times on one issue because during setup with our trainer he did not know to select check boxes to activate accruals. By the way you have several different screens to setup 1 item so it functions properly. Also, we came from Quick Books where you can e-file tax reports and payments directly from the system. Foundation does NOT have this functionality. They asked me to show them this function of Quick Books so they could see how it worked. Unbelievable! Don't they research their competition? Reports- Their standard reports that come with the system do not allow you to drill down into more detail. That my friend is in another screen (you'll find there is A LOT of this). They will try to sell their software by telling you there is a report Genie, which is true, but I hope you know how to make query's' because that is about the only way you'll be able to customize reports properly. If you don't know how to do this you can pay Foundation to teach you! Also, you cant properly export an actual excel file properly, so be aware, it will take your CPA longer to reconcile accounts because of this you will spend more money.

Response from Tracie

Replied August 2016

Dear Stephanie, Thank you for taking the time to review our software. We are sorry to hear that you’ve had anything less than a positive experience with FOUNDATION. A member from our Client Advocate team will be in touch to talk about and help resolve the various issues that you have outlined. Our main priority is to get you the tools and resources that are needed for you and your company to successfully use FOUNDATION. Please do know that you can call us at any time with questions or for additional help; we are at your service.

Kim from Lebolo Construction

Use this program daily

Pros

It is very easy to use. You can look up information that you need with only a couple of strokes. I find that anyone can use this program

Cons

the program i feel is for smaller companies as I do not feel it offers some of the functions that larger companies may need plus web base is better now for field use

Response from Robin

Replied January 2019

Hi, Kim, I’d like to thank you for your wonderful review and feedback. We are glad you find FOUNDATION easy to use. We take pride in providing a robust, yet user-friendly software program to our clients, and I hope you’ve been finding our cloud-based version helpful since switching. If there’s anything you need from us to continue getting more out of your system, please let us know! — Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

Chrissy from Healey Plumbing, Inc.

Wonderful!

Pros

Consistency through various modules; to clarify the steps are similar in the various modules, which I have found makes the software extremely user friendly and not difficult to train employees who have no experience with the software.

Cons

When exporting some reports to Excel; I have had some issues with formatting, the Excel version of the report may need to be manipulated/adjusted to use

Response from Foundation Software

Replied August 2018

Thank you for the kind words Chrissy! We are glad to hear FOUNDATION is working well for your company. If you would like to speak further on the Excel formatting please do not hesitate to call our Support Department. We are always happy to help and may be able to offer some tips. Thanks again!

February 2012

Judy from Malone's Mechanical, Inc.

February 2012

My company is a Mechanical Contracting Company, specializing in bid and spec work and is known for it's commercial installations, as well as industrial plant maintenance and renovations and some government projects. We subcontract work with Insulation, Control, and Sheet Metal Subcontractors. Malone's Mechanical, Inc. recruits most of its employees through local union affiliates and is licensed in Arkansas and Oklahoma, drawing from as many as five different Plumbing and Pipefitting locals. We have some contracts, which require Certified Federal Payroll Reports, and because the system is date sensitive, the reports can be accessed and printed even after you have started the job. In 1999 we were faced with a decision to find different software for our business, as the software we were using was not going to be supported any longer. Y2K was having an unsettling effect on everyone and needing to change software at that time was becoming stressful. I saw an advertisement for Foundation Software that specialized in payroll for labor-intensive companies. This appealed to me because that would meet our needs. I contacted Foundation and the arrangements were made for an installation on a new computer for Foundation using DOS and a trainer to come and spend a week getting it up and running. Joe Bruno came and by Thursday we were completely installed and all information updated. We initially installed five modules and have since upgraded computers and Foundation Software each time a change was offered. Our last upgrade has been to Windows 7. Foundation continues to keep up with new technology and innovation. I have easily trained two other people to use the Payroll module, two for Accounts Payable, and another person who is responsible for Accounts Receivable and Job Costing. By maintaining the service contract offered each year, we have timely response and support to any situation. I do not feel the need to shop for other software when what we have is the best.

August 2013

Steve from Adams-Bickel Associates, LLC

August 2013

In early 2013 we made the decision to transition our company from the traditional server-based construction accounting software that we had used for over 20 years, to a cloud-based system. We were looking for a solid, reliable software solution that would run on the cloud without sacrificing accuracy, functionality, or speed of entry. After looking at demos of several different products we decided to implement Foundation for several key reasons. First, their reliability - after checking with existing users and some CPA firms that were familiar with the Foundation system, we were confident that we were choosing a product that we could depend on to consistently deliver what we require from an accounting system. Their scalability - we are currently a fairly small company, so the ability to easily add users as we grow was key to our decision. They have great features - of the products that we reviewed, Foundation had the richest set of features that we wanted in a construction software package. Although we were looking for an accounting solution, we were excited to see the range of capabilities in the project management and scheduling modules that Foundation offers. Their affordability - the initial implementation was very affordable, and the scalability of the product allows us to tailor the cost of the product to our budget as our business grows. They have a great reputation - Foundation has an excellent reputation for quality and service in the construction community, which is demonstrated with every interaction that we have had with their staff. We have only been using the system for about 2 months now, and have been able to manage our business operations without any issues. I attribute this to the excellent (and friendly, and patient) training that we received, as well as the quality of the product itself. I have had no reservations about our choice - Foundation is perfect for our organization!

Brian from Carol Electric Company

Electrical Contractor Review of Foundation

We chose Foundation for it's array of features, depth of reports, its customization options, and its affordability. Much cheaper than buying software that you have to pay per user access fees for. There are quirks, but once you understand the system, it's generally easy to navigate and manage them. Extremely feature rich. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

Incredible amount of features, options, and reporting functionality. Can pretty much do anything you would ever want to do, accounting-wise. Project Management module pays for itself. Other customization options are very nice. Price is extremely attractive for amount of features in the software. Customer support is A+++++.

Cons

Very steep learning curve, to use advanced features. Genie is a pain and really cumbersome, probably my least favorite part of the software, even though it's sold as a great feature. Software isn't always forgiving about mistakes, but customer support makes up for it.

Ed from Griffin Pavement Striping, Inc.

Foundation Software

We selected Foundation over 10 years ago as it appeared to be the best option at that time. At this time if I was looking at construction accounting software I would want to examine other providors as I cannot say that is still the case.

Pros

Fully Intergrated Accounting System. Payroll system has some strengths. Customer service is very prompt and experienced.

Cons

Accounts recievable package is terrible with respect to retainage tracking. Many features in all the modules are cumbersome to use. Reporting is limited in many of the modules. Some of the integrations between modules do not work correctly. Software enhancements take a long time to get implemented. Foundation appears over the last few years to be spending their resources on providing their Third-Party Payroll Service (Payroll 4 Construction) and on other new product development and not on improving the software which is a disturbing trend.

Response from Robin

Replied October 2018

Hi, Ed! Thank you for your honest feedback. While we do have other products and services to complement our core accounting product, continued product development of our accounting software has always been and remains a priority. So updates and enhancements will absolutely keep coming, and we appreciate your patience as we roll them out as fast as able. Any issues you’re experiencing between modules is something we definitely want to look at to make sure we can’t improve your setup. We also might be able to set up some more advanced reporting for you. I’ll have a manager from our training department reach out to talk more! // —Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

Crystal from Reynolds Iron Works Inc

Foundation software

Have been using for 9 years . Love it but training is expensive

Pros

Does everything you may want or need in accounting software. Even has areas we don't use. Prior to Foundation we used three different programs to track payroll, A/P, and A/R.

Cons

Tracking taxes across different states for monthly reporting difficult. Some manual work required to report accurately.

Response from Robin

Replied August 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback, Crystal! We're thrilled to hear you love using FOUNDATION, and we love having you as a client. If there's ever anything else we can do for you, please let us know! // -Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

Denice from Amfabsteel, Incorporated

Support is Phenomenal!

Foundation has been instrumental in getting our Project Managers more involved in the finances of their jobs, they have real time information they can get to on their own, making accountings' job that much easier. Their support is phenomenal at all level, from complicated controls to basic user reporting. It has also moved us to be able to go completely paperless.

Pros

Versatility, availability to get to our own data, and support from implementation all the way to current issues has been amazing. The price is fair for the true value you get.

Cons

Customizing Invoices, PO's, etc can be cumbersome.

Mendy from PHX

Foundation

Overall experience was good after initial set up. Once program was learned it was easy to navigate

Pros

Software was easy to use after initial training. invoice attachments was new to us so that was very helpful.

Cons

The reports had the details of what i needed but when trying to export them they would come out unreadable.

Response from Foundation Software

Replied January 2020

Hi Mendy, thank you for sharing your thoughts about FOUNDATION. We're happy your experience with us has been positive and you've found our software easy to use. I noticed you haven't been actively using our software for some time but I'd love to talk with you and get some feedback on your customer support rating. As we strive to provide quality client support and a great product, we are always looking for ways to improve. Please let me know of a good time to reach you. Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

Talisha from BMI

Industry: Utilities

Highly Dissapointing

Promises promises. Sales people will tell you anything to get you to make the purchase. Then you can expect to be hit whit a lot of "no! the software cannot do that", "you'll have to use a workaround", and "There is no easy way around that". Every transaction takes an additional couple steps in comparison to other accounting software. You cannot write a simple check without entering an invoice or using a part of the system that is full of glitches. The whole system needs a lot of work before the usability is compatible to it's competitors. Reports are difficult to read without knowing the format. Employees are forced to use a login to eaccess system to view paystubs, which costs additional $$. In addition, you cannot offer the employee the option of sending them a paper stub because the format is so messed up a "normal"person cannot read and understand it. The modules do not communicate effectively. As an experienced construction accountant I feel this system is difficult to deal with and disregards many state and federal rules in relation to construction accounting and labor compliance etc. CPR reports are useless. There are no tax reporting forms available, so get ready to go back to manual tax return completion (including 941 and state level payroll forms).

Pros

Increases job security because there are not many people who already know how to use the system, so once you are that person in your company you are valuable. Custom reporting is nice

Cons

Lack of tax reports and tax information availability for reporting taxes. Difficult processes, too many restrictions where they shouldn't be and not enough where there should. Most of the system is a Con.

Response from Tracie

Replied November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to speak with our Manager of Training about the frustrations that you addressed in your review. As discussed, a trainer will be contacting you shortly to discuss these items thoroughly and work together toward resolving them. Our goal is to provide you with all of the tools needed to successfully use FOUNDATION and ensure that the software is working optimally for your business. Please feel free to contact us at any time with your questions or concerns. We are here to serve you.

Mary A from DualTemp/Clauger

Union Pros

They also do all of our Tax Remittances to all of the States and Federal Authorities that we have to remit to. Such a time saving feature for me.

Pros

I have worked with several unions all over the country and Foundation is the only Software Company that actually understands Unions without us having to customize our software to accommodate those needs. Every Union in every city and/or state has different requirements and Foundation has worked them all into their existing software. The flow is easy to follow and their Trainers are Top Notch as is their support group.

Cons

I do not like that I have to have them do the Posting when I have to cut a manual check. That can be a bit frustrating for me. But, again, not a really big deal with all of the good stuff that they do.

Stu from TechCrete Contracting, Inc.

Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Foundation Construction - Decent Entry Level Software

If you need a basic software this is as good as anything else out there. You will be pleased with migrating away from manual systems, but will probably be ready to migrate again in 5-7 years to a more robust package.

Pros

Handles AP/AR/Gl/PR/ and job costing adequately. This is definitely a step up from Quick Books. Good customer support when contacted.

Cons

Very little help collateral for clients. Usually, a software whether ERP, Office, or even photo/video editing has a robust users group with many YouTube videos online to provide a self-service kiosk of information and recommendations on how people use the software. Virtually everything online is aimed at marketing the product, not supporting existing users. The Help Desk people are great, but I would rather be able to research my own solutions from people that are actually in the industry using the software rather than programmers.

Response from Robin

Replied June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about FOUNDATION. We’re committed to helping you however we can and value the opportunity to know if you find we’re falling short in any area. Client education resources is something we’ve been deeply passionate about, and we’re excited to share our current offerings with you. Our client advocacy specialist will reach out to walk you through the many resources we provide, including webinars, how-to videos, FAQs and our client forum. We’d also love to hear if there’s anything else you think we can provide to help with your success on FOUNDATION. It’s our goal to continue working hard to provide you with a positive experience on FOUNDATION.

Dawn from Ewing Electric, Inc

Intuitive design plus great support staff equals a great product in Foundation!

Pros

I most like the knowledgeable support staff and quick response times to our assistance calls. We also had a great trainer at the beginning of the cutover to Foundation and the transition between one software system to the other was fairly smooth.

Cons

Biggest pet-peeve is that A/P Full Invoice Report cannot be pulled by job. That is the one really hindering issue I have in the A/P module, which is where I usually work.

Hugh from HSA Specialties

As a business owner, we found Foundation to be easier to use and more efficient than another accounting/PM program.

This is a good program for a small to medium sized company looking for an efficient accounting/project management program.

Pros

Purchase price Ease of accounting use Ease of entering project management info Product support after initial setup was very good and quick to respond.

Cons

Job cost reports were a bit of a challenge to manipulate. Initial start up support was not as knowledgeable as we were on getting the program set up.

Steven from R. Nichols Excavating

Full of features but complicated

Pros

They are constantly adding to the platform which already holds a ton of applicable features. Lets you set up a template for estimating that can be tweaked for individual jobs.

Cons

I've been using the software for a year now and it's still complicated to use. Change orders, as they often change or cancel, are difficult to change in the software.

Response from Robin

Replied July 2017

Thanks for the review Steven! We would love to chat more about change orders as well as any other areas of the system that are presenting challenges. Someone from our training department will be in touch with you to coordinate additional training to help with this.

Jamie from QUICKSILVER CONTRACTING CO.

Industry: Environmental Services

great product

GREATEST ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE OUT THERE

Pros

VERY USER FRIENDLY, JOB COSTING IS GREAT AND THE DRILL DOWNS ALLOW YOU TO FOLLOW THE TRANSACTIONS EASELY.

Cons

WOULD LIKE THE MOBILE PAYROLL FUNCTION IN AN APP

Response from Foundation Software

Replied September 2018

Thank you, Jamie! We certainly aim to please out there in Oregon, and I am so glad we are hitting the mark for you and your company. If there is ever anything else we can do, please let us know. You might also want to know that we did just release downloadable native apps for our mobile payroll features, and I would be happy to put you in touch for more information if you are interested! Robin rmo@foundationsoft.com

September 2016

Lauren from Tavares Concrete Company, Inc.

Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

SQL Foundations

Pros

It is dependable. I have worked at many other companies where the system would go down for unknown periods of time. That's not the case with Foundations. I've been working on it for over 2 years and the only conflicts we had was with Windows 10 and a sleep schedule of a monitor causing error boxes to populate as if the system had not been used for an extended period, and it was really easy to fix. I find the accounting side of the application to be the most user friendly of any program I have used. I like that it imports any file you'd like into CSV so that you can easily create a custom report. I like that they've made it incorporate with the State's requirements for Certified Payroll, while I don't process the payroll myself it saves my colleague many hours of manually entering that data.

Cons

Flexibility. We utilize excel to compensate for what Foundations lacks. For instance tracking projects quantities. The engineer at the company and project manager don't find Foundations user friendly or to be flexible enough to handle evolving projects.

May 2016

Dean from Capital Heating & Cooling

May 2016

Full Function Construction Accouting

Pros

This system has lots of flexibility which is great, but can also be intimidating when setting up. My advice is to take your time, and invest time to mapping out expectations, needed reports, etc. The trainers have been excellent and very quick to answer questions or concerns which has been invaluable in making the switch from QuickBooks.

Cons

All software has limitations, and if I was to point to something we miss when moving from QuickBooks is the ability to "zoom" on on any transaction to see detail. Foundation has its own method for this, so you can get to the information, it just isn't quite as quick. Having said that, the construction reporting, controls are in a different league than QuickBooks

MANDY from QUICKSILVER CONTRACTING CO.

FOUNDATION

OVERALL IT IS A VERY USEFUL TOOL TO HAVE FOR BUSINESS. I HAVE NOT REALLY USED ANY OTHER SOFTWARE SO I DON'T HAVE MUCH TO COMPARE IT TO.

Pros

FAIRLY EASY TO UNDERSTAND AND MANEUVER IN FOUNDATION. I USE IT FOR A/P AND INVOICING BUT WE USE IT FOR ALL ASPECTS OF THE BUSINESS

Cons

I FIND IT USEFUL AND I AM NEW TO BUSINESS SOFTWARE.

Response from Foundation Software

Replied September 2018

Thanks for your review, Mandy! Even if you haven¿t had other accounting software to compare it to, we¿re really glad that you¿re finding FOUNDATION easy to use and helpful in your role. That¿s the important thing, and it sounds like you¿ve got it down! If you ever need additional help, please check out the resources, webinars and classes on clients.foundationsoft.com, or let us know what we can do for you at Quicksilver. ¿ Robin rmo@foundationsoft.com

Liz from Environmental Systems, inc.

Accounts Receivable

I would recommend software

Pros

Very easy to use. Reports are great. Easy access on entering invoices, paying bills. Checking on Subcontract/PO balances. Job entry very easy.

Cons

Genies reports are a bit confusing to create. Could be much easier if you can pull the items to the report and view. If not correct then easily drag out and add then review again.

Response from Robin

Replied February 2019

Hi, Liz, thank you for the great review! We’re happy you find FOUNDATION easy to use on a daily basis and are pleased with the reports from the system. Hopefully we can make that even easier for you. I’ll have a training manager reach out to you in regard to the Genies to see if we can’t help simplify their setup. — Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

David from AJAY Glass

FND

Pros

The one stop aspect of the accounting power along with the project management module

Cons

Some items can be cumbersome. Need easier interface for PM module

Ryan from VEI Solutions, Inc.

Perfect for our business!

One of my biggest complaints with our previous accounting software was that I still had to do so much manually on the side with Excel spreadsheets. This system automates all of the most time-consuming activities and also reduces errors because it eliminates the double and triple entries required across multiple systems and spreadsheets. The time savings and reduced errors

Pros

All-in-one flow through data tracking, integrated payroll, highly-detailed and automatic reporting, top customer support.

Cons

Some coding could be improved (but that is coming from our highly in-house technical coding expert). However, they do regularly update the software and take customer input into account when rolling out updates.

Cassy from Dakota Contracting Company

Too many clicks and not user friendly

Not great. See comment above. We did not switch software here. I switched jobs and had to start using Foundation instead of ComputerEase. My suggestion is to make the navigation and the reports similar to them. It's a huge difference in the amount of clicks and typing I make between the 2 software and the reports are always neat on ComputerEase, even after changes.

Pros

Project management tab. That's pretty nice to see everything for one job in one location.

Cons

Pretty much everything. Software is not user friendly, I constantly have to call to figure things out and usually I'm pretty tech savvy. Too many unnecessary clicks, like to run a report, you have to input dates. ComputerEase usually runs for the year and no dates needs to be inputted unless you want a specific date. That's just a small detail, but I'm a huge ComputerEase fan, I learned that software very easily and fast. Also, changing any detail in Foundation is a very tedious process and if you do change something, the reports look messy by adjusting anything. I think that most people that like this software are people that never used another construction accounting software. They get excited for the reports and everything in one location. I got a long list of suggestions, call me anytime lol.

July 2016

Katie from All Area Plumbing, Inc.

July 2016

Foundation user for 3 years

Pros

The product is pretty user friendly and very robust. The vendor is very responsive to our needs and requests, are always available to help and provide excellent resources for learning and training. It is also nice to deal with the same people on a regular basis.

Cons

There are a few California compliance issues that we have to make adjustments for...lien releases, pay applications and time cards. I also wish the annual webinar package was less expensive. We already pay a lot for annual maintenance and the webinar package is very expensive.

Randy from Romsco inc

Not very good

Honestly the benefit I got was to see that you really need to do your homework before making a purchase. Especially one of this magnitude.

Pros

I wish I could say I like this product. I had very high hopes that it would bring us to a new level of business. It certainly looks like it can.

Cons

Well, we spent a lot of money on training for our company to use it. But I really believe you need a solid background in accounting to utilize it best. Not the most visually pleasing software. In a society where software companies are making visually stunning improvements while simultaneously creating better updates. They have been a bit slacked. It took us a year for us to see it was too difficult for us to continue using it. But we gave it every chance.

Response from Foundation Software

Replied January 2018

Randy, We are sorry to hear that your company is having issues using FOUNDATION. You are correct that FOUNDATION is a robust construction accounting system and is intended to help growing construction companies advance to a new level of business. We will have a training manager reach out to you this week to talk about your specific concerns. Our hope is that we can continue working together and provide what you need to make FOUNDATION the valuable tool that you expected for your company. We look forward to speaking with you. -Robin, FOUNDATION Software

Cheryl from American Southwest Electric

Exceeded my expectations

Great trainer - great response time to questions

Pros

Logical and menu driven. Easy to train my co-workers. The similar menus in each module make it simple to navigate.

Cons

Learning to make my own reports is a challenge. The report Genie is useful, but I need to take the time to learn to perfect my reports

Marilyn from Trans Continental Installation Company

May 2013

Our company is an installation company prividing intense labor for a warehouse type of environment, working nationwide. We started using the Foundation DOS system in 1999. We were very happy with the DOS system, however, keeping up with the times, we decided to update and go with the Foundation windows system. As always with something new, you can be a little reluctant, but after a week of going live we were extremely happy with the results. The windows system is pretty straight forward, I found it very easy to make the transition. We have been using the Foundation window system for just over one year. We are currently on version 12.13. We took the time to go into the all the different modules and find out how they worked. When a mistake is made it is very easy to correct for payables, receivables, and payroll. The customer support is excellent. Most of the time we receive a call back the same day from support, or early the next morning. It is extremely easy to log a call for support while you are actually working in Foundation. The instructors are very knowledgeable and quick to let you in on a the short cuts. Last fall, our server crashed and the Foundation support team came to our rescue until a new server was up and running. At first we did have one small prolem when looking for a specific report for our job costing needs. That was easily remedied by support, and we have every thing we need to follow our job progress from inception to completion now. Foundation made my work life run like a well oiled machine!

Gabrielle from Accurate Firestop

September 2016

We recommend it to everyone we know. We love th product.

Pros

The support is excellent. Our rep is excellent and we have enjoyed having her help us. She has made our software personalized to us and we get exactly what we need. I love that we can track change orders and the budgeting set up is great.

Cons

It would be nice to have some more features targeted at the Sub Contractors. Also, an integrated scheduler that is as easy to use as WhenIWork Software that the employees can clock in and out from an app on their phones. Also, reporting should be easier to create for the users instead of having to call Foundation to set up reports.

Kevin from Gypsum Systems Interiors

Over a decade of success with Foundation

Pros

The beautiful thing about Foundation Software is its ability to be customized to fully fit your company needs.

Cons

Although Foundation has the ability to be a complete tailored fit accounting software, it does require a lot of hands on time to fully grasp all of its workings.

Great accounting software, mediocre project management software.

Pros

The cloud capabilities are great and don't tie you down to one spot and the ability to create detailed custom reports to meet your needs.

Cons

Was hoping for a all in one accounting and project management software but it just doesn't deliver as a all in one.

August 2012

Sharon from Joseph W. Davis, Inc.

August 2012

We're a small family-owned paving and excavating company (about 20+ employees). Our original software was 18 years old and obviously antiquated. It was not even Windows based. We were looking for something that would give us the reports we wanted for job costing with good support. In some ways, support was actually one of the biggest factors in selecting Foundation. I have found the level of support to be outstanding. The help I've received has been absolutely wonderful- always patient, courteous and very friendly. I come away from support calls feeling that Foundation must be one very pleasant place to work! Five stars to the support folks! I researched five different software packages (reading their material and watching live demos) before making the decision (a very major decision, I might add). I also phoned six or seven of the companies already using Foundation with positive reports. The price and terms available were very good. All things considered, the conversion went smoothly with the help and encouragement of my trainer. I have a new appreciation for the importance of the initial set-up. We went "live" on January 1, 2012. Not a week goes by that I don't have an "AH-HA" moment when I learn something new that the software does to make things even easier. While it has been rather difficult making the mental transition from the old to the new, and I've had frustrating moments learning where to find my reports, I'm very pleased with my decision and would select Foundation again.

Parth from Intelect Corporation

Good for Project-based Job Costing

Pros

Manage multiple business lines. We use this for project based business costing, product sales, and consulting services.

Cons

Difficult to learn if not formally trained. I would recommend having the entire accounting team attend virtual learning.

Response from Robin

Replied February 2019

Hi, Parth, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about FOUNDATION. We’re happy you’re using the software in multiple areas of your business. It certainly helps when everyone’s on the same page! I’d love to talk to you about the resources on our Client Portal as well as some continuing education options that might be of interest to you and your team. Please email me, and we can set up a time! — Robin, rmo@foundationsoft.com

Don from Frontier Railroad Services, LLC

Great construction accounting software

Pros

Cons

Mobile software somewhat lacking. We would like the ability to better customize this feature for our specific needs.