• Pros

• "User friendly. Works very well. I log onto it every morning and work with it all day every day. Awesome product. Mary Heinz is FABULOUS"

• "It does a lot of accounting needs. I guess if you really need all those steps this would be a great system. But not for a smaller company."

• "The program is fairly easy to use and provides the information I need. I have had good response from Maxwell (now Viewpoint) whenever I needed support."

• Cons

• "The digital take is great it just still needs more fine tuning. at least for me anyway."

• "While major issues get corrected in a timely manor there are a number of smaller issues that affect the program that seem to get pushed down the "pecking list" and never seem to get resolved."

• "Occasionally I have to back out and restart the program, but it could be a user error...."

Browse Viewpoint Estimating Reviews

Donald from MBE Engineers

Excellent for me personal

Pros

Flexibility. I have been using this software for over 20 years. It has been really good for me because of my background. However, this software is not for a normal typical estimator. This is the major downfall for Estimation. Over the years, I convinced many of my customers to use Estimation, and most of them did. Some of my customers are the biggest mechanical/plumbing contractors in California. However, most of them only use Estimation for a few years then decided to switch to Quickpen. I have seen Quickpen software work every week when I go to my customer offices, and I can understand why. What Estimation really lacking is the know-how to keep the chicken alive in order to collect the eggs. A dead chicken will not do any good. A typical estimator is someone that will come from the trade and most likely can barely operate a computer. The expectation that a typical estimator can handle a complex system like Estimation is delusional. Thanks.

Cons

The way the software handles the PDF files. Also, Single Line Take-off can be improved to automatically catching the lines instead of the estimators.

October 2012

Jim from Heil Mechanical, Inc.

October 2012

We are a commercial Plumbing Firm specializing in heavy industrial piping, hydronic and water/wastewater treatment plants. We offer in-house design CAD work and dedicated staff. Maxwell is the only estimating software in use at this facility. There are others out there, but thus far, Maxwell appears to be the best value for the dollar. I have worked for two (2) previous plumbing/heating firms, both used Maxwell, although earlier versions. We are currently using Version 9.3.0.2334, Service Pack 3. This was obtained the last time we upgraded - last year, I believe. The upgrade usually goes quickly, a couple hours at most unless issues are encountered. I would have to state that most upgrades have some type of issue that either requires a "patch" or technical support. Customer support is for the most part, excellent - response time(s) could be improved. As with all products, there are some technical support people that are much better than others. I feel that past versions of Maxwell are more concerned w/keeping up with the competition than what the actual users want. My personal opinion is that the Maxwell product is an excellent product for it's purpose - a quick, accurate way to obtain a bid. Just stick with this ideology, and you will be just fine. Trying to make Maxwell into something else is a waste of time and effort. I learned Maxwell some years ago while working for Western Mechanical Service, Inc. - in just a day or two I was up and running. I have trained a number of personnel over the years - the same can be said today. If anything, Maxwell is a little more straightforward and easier to use than back in 2001. For the most part, customer support is excellent. As with any product, there are some support staff that are more knowledgeable than others. There have been issues that have taken more time to address than others - however, if one is willing to work together the problems can be solved. One particular issue that was causing us "section corrupted" errors was solved by virtue of just watching how the program responded and was finally traced to the copying of "takeoff notes"; once this practice was eliminated, the "corruption" issue disappeared. I was instrumental in this discovery and was happy to help in this regard. Since the offering of On-Screen Takeoff, quick, accurate takeoff's can be done w/o hard-copy drawings. There are situations where this is most advantageous, as some projects require a "quick-turn" to achieve the bid in time. Although "phantom" pick points still plague OST, it is still a viable option in these situations or when printas are "unscaled" or hard copy prints are not feasable.

Greg from Maryland Mechanical Systems

The program is very forgiving when I make a mistake. It's easy to correct errors. Would recommend.

Errors in material selection or takeoff items are very easy to correct. Simple column edits or Design Spec application can correct nearly any issue. EiMatix export has streamlined our bid tally sheet input. We save a lot of time and reduce human error potential by exporting the summary information to our company's Excel bid sheet. This is a life saver on last minute changes to bid documents.

Pros

The thing I appreciate most is the ability to turn the software to match the way we do an estimate. A lot of software requires the user to adapt to the software MEP doesn't. The program has so many ways to manipulate the data to match my way of estimating. At first this can seem a little daunting but once it is set there is no other configuration that needs to be done.

Brandi from Plumbing by Fisher

To many steps to do a simple task.

We purchased in August and were unable to go to the training until December, they would not even let us download the program until we did the training and they rebill us every August instead of when we were able to start using it. When I called to ask if they could change our billing date to when we were able to start using the program I was told I was basically a liar and that there was no way we were unable to use their program from the beginning time of purchase.

Pros

This program can do a lot...If you have a degree in computer engineering. It is faster than trying to do a take off by hand. Pat, the trainer we had was wonderful ! Extremely helpful and will answer any question any time of day, much better than the customer help center.

Cons

The program is quite pricey, add to that more money for training that is incomplete for the amount of information that is needed to run this program. The sales person we had was nice but extremely pushy. Customer service after purchase is terrible.

Pedro from Bermudez, Longo, Diaz-Masso, LLC

Pedro Silva - Bermudez, Longo, Diaz-Masso, LLC

In general we like the product and we hope that it always stays at the forefront of technology for the benefit of all.

Pros

BLDM is one of Americas leading specialty construction companies. We have been 55 years in the market and we are still going. We implemented the software in our Estimating Department more than 20 years ago and since its implementation we have completely trusted it. Given the fact that technology keeps growing , expanding and innovating, we still rely on Viewpoint Software because of its accuracy and feasibility when working on bids, I personally believe that part of our success with the software is based on the full support provided by the technical staff. Always there to help when you need them!

Richie from Bill's Electric Inc.

Viewpoint MEP Software

Customer service agent has been a great asset to us in upgrading our software and purchasing other systems. We would highly recommend her as an account manager.

Pros

Our offices have been using Viewpoint MEP estimation for Electrical for quite some time now. We rely on this system to quickly, and accurately complete bids. This software has taken us to the next level, and we have used it for multi-million dollar jobs. Without this software we would not be able to complete the amount of work we do daily at our four locations.

Cons

Issues arise just like with any software, but the support team is quick to respond and prompt at fixing the issue.

March 2012

Jeff from Schoonover Plumbing.

March 2012

We are a mid-sized Plumbing/Mechanical contractor. Our focus, for many years, has been on single and multi-unit residential with some small to mid-size commercial projects. Yearly sales for our organization run in the 5-8 million dollar range. Maxwell Systems Estimation has allowed us to use the skills of our workforce to move up to higher dollar projects. These now comprise of multi story office buildings, schools, medical buildings as well as sewer and water treatment plants. Rut works so much better with the estimation system takeoff. It is a breeze to use, and the reward is that the project manager can effectively manage the project with ease. Estimation has also made the process of bidding the sizes of jobs we do faster and more consistent from job to job, which makes it easier to track costs. Want to know what your material and labor cost are per floor on a project? Estimation can do it! How about by floor - just the sanitary piping? Estimation can do it! I have seldom had any problems but in the rare instances I have, support has been quick to respond as well as very knowledgeable. Also, on the support side, they have a great group of trainers to help you really understand the ins and outs of the program. However, the single greatest thing that made me chose Maxwell Systems Estimation is that it is totally customizable by the user. The database can be configured to suit any situation and the owner of the program can do it all. This customization allows you to even add to an estimate; all those little things that you usually figure out in your head and then tack on to your proposal at the end. This enables the program to do the entire math and takes out the possibility of human error. All you have to do is remember to enter it in. Their ability to do our take off digitally saves us countless hours and reams of paper. I would highly recommend purchasing Maxwell Systems Estimation software.

John from Rossi Electric

October 2012

Rossi Electric has been using the electrical Estimation software for the past 13 years. The ease of the software for personal to learn and use aids in doing a takeoff quick and accurate. The electrical Estimation software can be tailor to fit your companies need. This can be achieved by the way the software can be configured from adding items as you go thru your takeoff. Or by the way you can set up the takeoff cards by making your own assemblies and adding them to the many that are already in the software. If you get stuck on how an item can be added or a technical glitch that might pop up, the help desk is there to aid you. They are just a phone call away, and always very happy to help you. The trade show that Maxwell puts on every year is also a great tool to learn about the software and to meet other user. This also helps you to learn more about the software by the way other people use the system. The trade show also allows you to meet and talk with the people who are behind the developing and programming of the software. People like Heather Messick who will sit there and listen to your ideas on how to improve the software. Or on what really doesnt work well within the software. The ideas you talk about wont be put off, she works really hard on ides that make sense, and not just poufs them off. All in all Estimation for electrical is a great software to learn and to use. It will make your takeoffs go smother and faster. The faster you get a bid out the more you can do making your chances better at getting more jobs.

Scott from Williams Electric Clinton, LLC

Excellent Product.

Keep up the good work

Pros

Cons

Have no problems with it. Even if I did have a problem with Viewpoint it would be taken care of promptly and professionally

Hugo from CDL

Greatest Estimation Software Company! I highly recommend them!

Pros

The Software just works!! It sounds so simple, I know, but it's true! We had been through 2 other estimation softwares before ViewPoint and they were laggy, badly built and the support stunk! ViewPoint is the complete opposite. The support is fantastic and their trainers come in and actually care that you learn the software and you learn it well. I've never dealt with better trainers or a more knowledgeable group of technical support specialist. These guys are awesome!

Cons

I can't name a single downside about ViewPoint MEP Estimating. You get a lot of bang for your buck! It's not cheap but it's definitely an investment worth making for you and your company!

Jeremy from Sterling Plumbing & Heating

Very detailed and accurate estimating software

Pros

the program is customizable and integrates with our accounting software. We feel more confident in the budget we are getting from MEP in the jobs we are bidding on. Customer Service is Top Notch .

Cons

Transferring the estimate into Vista is extremely painful - there is no seamless integration. There is a disconnect from the awarded bid to opening a Summary for the export - I'm always out around 5% of the cost. Once it is exported then there is a series of modifications to the CSV file to get it to upload into Vista. Once in Vista there is a series of modifications and re-work in order for the Budget to match the bid. A deeper look into Seamless integration is extremely necessary

Marvin from sales

Is "ViewPoint" for you?

Pros

If you already have their other software then the right option would be to go and get this one. Just like what the sales person will say to you that you can track your rewards(profit), perform correct takeoffs and submit on time. All of those things are true to a certain point.

Cons

The person that does the sales at times can seem pushy and want for you to go ahead and purchase right there and now. That is not the right way on dealing with something like this. Especially when there is a lot of money going into this. The takeoff bids are not at all accurate. At times you have to make the final corrections. Yes, there is a support team that will help you out. The other item about this is that the cost of training is even more money. You either have to go to them or they come to you and there is just not enough time for getting the right amount of training. They should lower the that cost to make it even better.

Doug from Tao Ltd. - Plumbing Company

October 2012

We are a third generation plumbing company that has struggled through this economy like everyone. Making good financial decisions is key too not only surviving but also, staying on top. Maxwell Estimation has been a big part of that strategy. We were utilizing another takeoff system that wasnt user friendly and required more training than we felt should be necessary to utilize a system. It seemed to take longer than writing it out by hand. We switched in 2009 to Estimation with the digital takeoff feature. Digital takeoff allowed us to reduce the amount of plans we produced and enabled me to send my digital takeoff to our engineer, client, and suppliers. This one feature has reduced the time necessary to explain our intent and design. Once we installed the system it didnt take long to get up and running. Very user friendly, and with the benefit of the online video instruction I can enhance my understating of the system at my leisure. For us the system is fairly trouble free but, when I needed help, the support team was there. Occasionally, I receive a call from the support team asking how things are going or if I need additional training and could they set up a training date for me. I update our estimation date base weekly through a separate service that keeps our pricing up to date. Never lagging behind in the market is important. I usually see the updated price before our suppliers get a chance to inform me. In the end, I get a report that is current and more detailed than I ever was without Estimation, right down to nuts and washers.

October 2012

Jay from Johnson Controls (Berg mechanical)

October 2012

We're a long time Maxwell Systems Estimation user. Started our partnership with Maxwell in 1993. We decided in early 90's we needed to rethink computerized estimating so started shopping again. Looked at all the major players and decided Maxwell had the best product that would work well with our way of estimating and more imprtantly, felt like Maxwell had a real focus of listening to the customer about what they wanted/needed. Felt like Maxwell would be a real long term partner as computerized estimating matured. So we started down the road with 3 stations doing mechanical piping. Over the years we made many recommendations to Maxwell which they listening to and incorporated. We grew to 6 mechanical piping and 2 sheet metal stations. So over these last almost twenty years, we still view Maxwell as the best product out there. Even now, we still get called by new systems out on the market. But even after looking at them, Maxwell still meets our needs better than anyone else. In this day & age, it's hard to find someone who you're still a partner with after 20 years. Maxwell's commitment to their customers, listening, responding, partnering, having some of the best programmers & trainers around, having quality knowledgeable people to support you, great customer representation with all that ending in a great product has helped us be successful in what we do- win work and make profit.

October 2015

Frank from SAIA Electric, INC.

October 2015

Long time user of the electrical estimating software

Pros

Viewpoint regularly engages its users to monitor their satisfaction with the product. The support team is willing to assist with any issues that develop and show a true willingness to help. The product is highly specified for the trades and is very comprehensive.

Cons

At times, we would like to be able to an interface with Microsoft products such as Excel. The telecommunications takeoff section needs to be expanded.

October 2012

William from E.W. Tompkins Company, Inc.

October 2012

We are using Estimation Logistics Version 4.5.1. I know we should upgrade to 9.x but I haven't been able to find the time in our bid schedule. I suspect we will upgrade soon. This program was in use here when I got here in 2005. The company that I worked for previously also had Estimation Logistics so the transition for me was seamless. We don't use customer support much anymore; I can usually figure out what I need to, but do get stumped occasionally. I will say that customer support was excellent when I was implementing. But I am not as pleased with it as I used to be. In the "old days" the support personnel would talk you through any issues, so you would learn what to do in certain situations when they arose. Now it seems we just go to webex and support fixes the problem while I watch, but afterwards I didn't learn anything. I don't know after all these years if I would be able to do an estimate the old fashioned way with a scale, pencil, and paper. We have come to rely so much on the computer that the old skills atrophy. One final word: for an old dog like me using digital take off on the computer screen is a non starter. People must be getting better quality plans than we are here in the Northeast, because I would never be able to do take off without my paper plans and digitizer board.

Ronnie from Pitt Electric ORI, LLC

September 2015

Viewpoint Estimation Is Electrical Estimating On Steroids.

Pros

This product offers so many features that are beneficial. Product is fun and easy to use. Takes the majority of the human factor out of the bid. Less computing mistakes. Speedy and accurate takeoffs. Easy pricing updates. Viewpoint Customer Support is made up of friendly knowledgeable team members which are eager to assist.

Cons

Really? Hmmm, nothing. Seriously, this product is amazing!

Ian from Border Mechanical

October 2012

We are a mid-size commercial MEP company. We have seen better days in terms of workload and we have had to try to find ways to stay viable in this ever-changing economy. One way in which we have tried to do that is by saving time across multiple workflows. We had Maxwell Systems Estimation up and running in our electrical department with success and wanted to utilize this resource with mechanical as well. Already we are seeing positive results in terms of time savings and sustainable data being delivered by our new Estimation software. We are using Digital Takeoff and it is amazing how much faster I can produce versus traditional spreadsheet data entry. Implementing this system was a breeze thanks to our Account Manager, Mary Heinz, and the support team. Since then I have learned a lot on my own through the easy-to-use, intuitive interface as well as through short online training sessions that were made available. Customer support has been available when I need them and Mary has gone above and beyond in regards all things Maxwell Systems. It's easy to see already that this solution for our estimating department will save us much in time and money moving forward. I look forward to learning more, and really get this software working for us.

November 2012

Henry from Ferrara's Heating & Air Cinditioning, Inc.

November 2012

We are a mid size HVAC contractor and have been in business for 30 years. I took over the estimating for the company about 2 years ago after the owner retired. Our focus is mainly in the educational, medical, religous and correctional facilities. With Maxwell System Estimation program I can take off a job in a fraction of the time it use to take. Bids are more accurate because not only is most items a simple point to point take off, it also takes off all the small incidental components automatically, things I would usually overlook in the process. I like being able to seperate labor cost of different aspects of a job in layers because that has helped our company spot problem areas and adjust accordingly. Estimation is definately a powerful, top notch take-off program, but the great support after the sale is the icing on the cake. They have always been quick to respond whenever I needed help with a very knowledgeable staff. And many thanks to our account manager, Mary Heinz, for the frequent check-ups, to make sure all is well and to make sure we are current, or that we are aware of new features available. I would definately recommend Maxwell System Estimation to anyone looking to speed up their estimation process.

October 2012

Steve from Guenther Mechanical, Inc.

October 2012

We have been using Estimation software for our plumbing & HVAC estimating for almost 20 years. Over the years, Estimation has continued to fine tune the program keeping up with ever changing computer and operating system improvements. Each upgrade to the program has installed seamlessly and we have never lost important information from previously bid projects. New versions are stress-free with a very short learning curve, building on previous versions of the program. We have been very happy with the ease of use, the ability to customize the bidding process for our business, material pricing updates and its multiple data base ability. With options to separate bids by addendum, alternate bid, take-off by floor, building sections and other project disciplines, Estimation gives us the ability to bid and manage more work with less energy and estimators. Every project we bid from small service jobs to multi-million dollar ventures are estimated with our system. After getting the job, multiple reports can be generated for project management, foreman, project buy-out and warehouse material pulls. Without a doubt, I would recommend Estimation to any mechanical contractor, except, of course, to our competitors.

October 2012

Theresa from Daniel's Electrical Construction Co. Inc.

October 2012

Daniels Electric began using the Estimation Program over 20 years (not sure of the exact date). I have been using the Maxwell Systems Logistics Program for the last 14 years. Currently using Verion 9.4. Logistics is user friendly and fairly easy to learn and operate. Logistics has been easy to customize, with the ability to build our own assemblies or modifying the "pre-built" assemblies making the take-off process easier to adapt to all kind of projects; which has saved me a lot of time in the estimating process. I utilize a digitizer in conjunction with Logistics which increases the accuracy of the takeoff, as well as reducing the time spent on the takeoff. Customer Support has been wonderful; most of my problems have been due to my own operator errors and not problems with the Program. I have attended a couple User Conferences and they are very worthwhile to go to. Gave me opportunities to speak directly with the Programmers to get hints & shortcuts as well as learn more about the Program. Also gives a chance to talk to other users and exchange information & ideas. I have recommended the Program to others in my field several times through the years.

Tony from RPS Plumbing & Heating Inc

October 2012

I am a mechanical contractor and have been in business for near 30 years. I've done everything the old-school way until last January (2012). It used to take me several weeks to bid a job. Sometimes with great success. Sometimes, I'd miss key items because I'd forget to write them down. Maxwell's system has eliminated the guess work from the equation. Mary Heinz is my account rep and she has kept me up to date with the changes to the software and trying to get me to update as soon as it becomes available. I'd have to give her a rating of 10 out of 10. EXTREMELY HAPPY with the software. All I need to do now is teach my brother how to use it. He can hardly turn on the copier without some help. Anyone purchasing this software, TAKE THE COURSE AS SOON AS YOU GET THE PROGRAM. You will not regret buying this at twice the price. I can now do the typical one week estimate in one day without the mistakes. It has helped my business move forward and win multi-million dollar contracts that I could not get close to before. And YES, I am making money. BUY IT. You will be surprised how easy it is to use and make more money with a truly accurate bid. Thanks, Mary

October 2012

John from GS Hydro US, Inc.

October 2012

GS Hydro is a supplier of non-welded hydraulic piping systems to the petroleum, marine and industrial sectors. We needed an estimating system that would allow us to build a database of some 8,000 GS Hydro part numbers and provide detailed estimates to our sales group. Prior to installing Maxwell we used an Excel model to estimate item quantities and roll up the cost numbers. We currently use the Mechanical Estimation software with the Digital Takeoff feature. Since we could not take advantage of the data book provided by Maxwell our implementation probably took a little longer than average. However, once the data book was completed the implementation went very well. We selected one GSH employee to attend Maxwell classroom training who in turn passed on the knowledge gained from the Maxwell classroom. The Maxwell customer support has been great, offering prompt answers to our problems. The main benefit we received from Maxwell is the ability to take a customer drawing and plot out the specific lengths of pipe and related products required without having to build a manual bill of material list. This saved us considerable time when building the project estimate.

October 2012

Craig from Taunt Electric Co.

October 2012

Taunt Electric started electronic estimating with Trade Service, Estimation bought out Trade Service and we have been there ever since. Starting out with version 5. Estimation has turned the estimating software into what it is today with our version 9.1. the building of assemblies, and able to adapt to the several field we work in, Healthcare, water and wast water treatment, industrial energy generation, plus everday commercial projects. The ease of able to change the scale, the multiplyer for several conduit run or fixtures. We use a digitiser for our take off and links to our computer for count and take off. The use of summary to edit pricing and labor units. The summary can be run with discounts, NECA labor units, quote master for a quick print out for suppliers. Once in bid summary, labor rates, tax markup, quotes, sub-contractors are ath this page plus summary is available. I personnaly enjoy the program and saved us hours of entries for material. We update every week with Trade Service. The one thing users need to be concerned about is " if there is a problem". The help desk has always been there for us, at one time for even on a weekend

December 2015

Jeff from H&S Electric, Inc.

Viewpoint Electrical Estimating

Pros

The structure of the program allows you to easily perform your take-off and is flexible to help you fine tune the estimate once it's complete.

Cons

There's one minor issue when you are using the digital take-off. Sometimes when you're doing take-off on the digital screen, it 'loses' that take-off when you move over to the take-off screen to enter it into the estimate.

May 2012

Eddie from Maddux Electric Company Inc.

May 2012

We at Maddux Electric Company Inc. have seen many changes in our industry over the past 32 years. One of the most exciting would be the Technology we have at hand today. When we first started using Estimations in the early 1990s we never thought this type of tool would become something we could not do without. As the industry changed, so did the technology and Maxwell Systems has kept up with that change. They have the most user-friendly products we have seen in the market place, training our estimators has been a snap. With digital takeoff and dual screens our ratio of job takeoffs have increased 2:1, a lot more accurate, more detailed and user friendly for our Project Managers and superintendents. Maxwell Systems complete staff has always been there when an issue was to come up or if we just have an inquiry about how to do something. Also our account Manager, Mary Heinz, is always staying in touch with us to see how they can help us or if there is something they need to look in to that might help the industry. I would highly recommend this system to any Electrical Contractor.

Troy from Carver Electric co inc

December 2015

Electrical Estimating software review.

Pros

Very easy to use and very accurate. We depend exclusively on this software to obtain high end jobs.

October 2015

Wally from James L. Cayton Assoc., Inc.

Project Manager/Estimator

Pros

It keeps me organized, my estimates are accurate and it's fast. When I need help Viewpoint is just a phone call away.

Cons

I deal with a lot of vendors daily, Viewpoint is the least of my worries.

December 2015

Charles from BEAM'S CONTRACTING, INC.

December 2015

Been using this take off since it was quest haven't seen any change.

Pros

It is user friendly and easy to understand summary reports are very helpful.

Cons

We just wish there was a way you could incorporate a cross section take off program into your system. We are still using a program by quest and it is out dated.

September 2015

Cliff from Certified Electric, Inc.

September 2015

I would recommend this software.

Pros

This software is easy to use, you can use it right out of the box, but it is 100% customizable to fit your needs.

Corinn from KCE

1.5

December 2015

Do not buy this earthworks software

Pros

That it allows earthworks to be completed electronically rather than using a digitiser board

Cons

The vendors inability to make improvements or even fix bugs or error within the program. They generally just say, we have never seen that happen before and blame something else non related for the problem. It will always be your fault if the program comes up with any errors.

Phillip from P.R.Faulk Electrical Corporation

I have been using estimation software for almost 20 years and would hi

Pros

Easy to use, well crafted, tech support always knowledgeable

Cons

We are completely satisfied with the product and would highly recommend to others

Chad from Ammons & Blackmon Construction LLC

December 2015

Solid product for accurate takeoff

Pros

The takeoff flow has been set up to allow easy and accurate takeoff's.

Cons

I need more flexibility in handling and manipulating drawing files during or after importing.

October 2012

Don from Backus Electric Inc.

October 2012

We are a full service electrical firm with a specialty in industrial work, especially industrial control work. We have been using Estimation software since 1988. We have never used any other estimating software. We are currently using version 9.4.0. We only update once every 2-3 years due to the large amount of work involved. I attended Estimations training school in Jupitor, FL each year for abou 3-4 years to first learn how the program works, and then to update my skills. We have attended no classes since the mid 90's. The program has gotten far more complex, by doing things we don't need but we have managed to stay with it. My greatest concern is our inability to update the program without making phone calls to find someone to work with. Invariably, when someone does call back, I am out so we end up playing phone tag for days or even weeks. The data base while easy to use is old and has little in it except for construction people, who use the same things time and again.

October 2012

Jerry from Jack Hornsby Electric, Inc.

October 2012

I used two electrical estimating systems before Maxwell. The one I learned on was DOS based, and a good system, but had outlived its usefulness. The second was designed by estimators, and was Lotus based. It worked fairly well, but required considerable knowledge of work in the field(I never worked as an Electrician), and I was constantly seeking input from others. We purchsed the Maxwell Electrical Estimating System about three years ago, and I have been very happy withit. It is intuitive, and has many assemblies that take the guess work out of it for estimators that were not trained as electricians. It is easy to use, and saves a lot of time over the other systems i used. The customer service has been great, and any requests for technical help are answered and resoved quickly. Our customer service representative, Mary Heinz, stays in contact and is always available. I would recommend the Maxwell System to anyone.

August 2016

Joseph from RMN Mechanical Co. Inc.

August 2016

Very niche but good product

Pros

The customer service management is always helpful and ready to answer any questions.

Cons

The updates have become slower and slower to materialize

Sonia from DEEM

October 2012

I work for a mechanical and electrical contracting company. I do mechanical estimating, using Maxwell Systems' Estimation 9.4.0.2536 for the majority of my bids. We've been using the system for a little over 4 months. It was fairly easy to learn the basics, though it would be very helpful to have some classes to learn more. The fact that I have a 42" monitor for this system makes it much easier to view the drawings with the digital estimating. The system is much quicker than doing a take-off manually and then plugging all the information into a spreadsheet. Once the material pricing and labor are set up the reports are great for seeing quantities, prices and labor of pipe, fittings, etc. It will also set up different scopes for system types, material types, drawing numbers and many other details. We've had a few issues with the system, but questions were quickly answered and problems resolved.

Phil from Art's Electric Inc

March 2012

Art's Electric has been a client of Maxwell Systems Estimation since 1980, transitioning through many generations of the program. We have always been committed to upgrading to the latest product and version of the system. Our firm does both industrial and commercial installations and we have successfully been able to add the items we need in addition to utilizing the database provided with the system. We have always found the Estimation system easy to use, flexible, and easy to manipulate. Attending user conferences has allowed us to have one-on-one contact with the Estimation development team and input on future enhancements. Maxwell Systems Estimation has a strong team of employees committed to the program and in providing the latest in estimating techniques. Our next commitment is to transition to digital take-off; we have one station already in use with a second to be implemented soon.

Andy from Camblin Mechanical

October 2012

Our company spent about 6 months deciding which estimating software to go with. We were working with an old MS-Dos program prior to upgrading to Maxwell Systems Estimation software. We purchased the product about two years ago. Customer Support was (is) one of the most important pieces when we were considering which product to go with. If I could, I would rate Maxwell Systems 10 out of 5 stars in this area. We have been through 2 server crashes and a server migration in the last two years (one crash and migration within the last week). Maxwell has been there every time to pick up the pieces and put them back where they go. This is a great product with great customer support. I use reviews when I purchase products like this, so, I understand the importance of seeing the good with the bad. The problem isI dont have any negative experiences to report.

Blaine from Hudson Mechanical Inc.

Estimation

We've used Estimation for over 20 years now for our industrial piping and plumbing company and have been highly successful with it.

Pros

Can rely on the accuracy

Cons

Takes time to make it your own. Need accurate accounting as well. Not really a con just good advice.

Bill from Shamrock Plumbing

October 2012

Shamrock Plumbing is large plumbing/mechanical contractor located in North Salt Lake, Utah. We are a multi-faceted contractor with services ranging from Radiant Heat to Water Softeners to high rise commercial design build projects. Shamrock has been partnered (Yes Partnered, Maxwell Systems truly has a genuine interest in your success) with Estimation and Maxwell Systems for over 14 years. Two years ago, with the retirement of our lead estimator, we upgraded to a new system and we have had great success with the implementation of the new hardware/software. Mary Heinz (W/Maxwell Systems) has done a superb job of keeping us updated and giving Shamrock the opportunity to remain "In The Know", when it comes to new ideas and equipment. I would recommend Maxwell Systems to anyone serious about Project Estimation, Job Costing, and Project Detail.......

Tony from Wolfe Electric

October 2012

Here in Nebraska as an electrical company we find ourselves bidding houses, apartments, fire alarm systems, commercial, and industrial projects. With 6 Project Managers we can find ourselves bidding whatever comes across our estimation boards. The beauty of the Maxwell software is that if the PM knows what he is doing it allows him to be able to bid the house, apartment, fire alarm system, commercial and industrial projects on the same computer and estimating board every time. There is no need for another software when we with qualified PMs can bid anything from one software. Mary Heinz is very good at making sure we are notified about training seminars and any updates we need, and is always ready to help us with getting the software integrated to our personal needs and getting the system running smoothly for us.

August 2012

Michael from Shelly Sons Electrical

August 2012

We are a relatively small, growth oriented electrical contractor. Only three of us are in the office, so we need to be productive and use our time efficiently. I have used Maxwell Systems Estimation before and considered it the finest of estimating programs. However, I have to say that Cyndi Ray in particular performed beyond my highest expectations in tailoring the system to fit my needs with her thorough, complete and expeditious attention with the system installation. Not to mention, her personal and professional behavior and attitude in meeting all my needs. I could not have completed a nearly 3 million dollar bid without her efforts. It is people like her that create an atmosphere of success to any organization. Please pass along my personal thanks and commendation for her past and continued efforts.

March 2012

Jim from Hayes & Lunsford Electrical Contractors, Inc.

March 2012

Hayes & Lunsford Electrical Contractors, Inc. is an 82 year old, 3rd generation electrical contractor operating in NC, SC, GA, TN & VA. We selected Maxwell Systems Estimation software after looking and using several other programs. We are currently using the network version on Estimation, which allows our database to stay on our server and can be accessed remotely. This allows help if a local computer hard drive crashes, as no data in Estimation is lost. The local workstation is very simple to setup. Our estimators are very pleased with Estimation and its ease of use. Support from Maxwell Systems Estimation has been very good. Including helping integrate other software programs such as Trade Service for updating our database. In addition our account manager, Marion Sorensen, is always there when we need help.

January 2013

Don from Hamilton Air Conditioning, Electric & Plumbing, Inc.

January 2013

I have been estimating for 40 years. That's correct, from before there were even electronic calculators (much less computers). We are currently using Logistics Version 4.3.2571 Estimating Version 4.2 to do our Plumbing Estimates. We have been using this system for about 13 years. Even though I have never used any of the other systems, I cannot imagine how anyone could improve on the ease of use! The power pad, along with the digitizer, allow me to do my takeoff completely from the plans with minimal return to the computer. The amount of time saved has allowed me to bid more and larger jobs by myself than would be possible any other way. It has allowed me to downsize, stay competitive and survive. This alone is keeping our 50 year old business "in business".

September 2012

John from Frey & Campbell, Inc.

September 2012

We are a mechanical contractor in the Southern Tier of New York State. We have been using Estimation's estimating software for 18 years. We started out with two licenses and have grown to nine mechanical licenses with Digital Takeoff currently. I have demo'd other software, but have always chosen Estimation for its flexibility and completeness in the areas we need to estimate. I have always found the sales and support personnel professional and helpful. The Digital Takeoff software has been one of the biggest and most beneficial additions to the estimating software we use. Being able to estimate from a regular desk using digital plans from plans services rather than having to print them out or order from reprographic services saves both time and space.

Richard from Guideline Mechanical

October 2012

We have been using the system for about 3 Months now. New Features such as Elevation Settings, Multiple Estimates within the Job are the immediate standout improvements I've noticed so far. The Ability to Open Multiple Estimates under one job is a definate Plus! Until we find the time to deeply explore all the new features, which is difficult to do when you bid everything on the street; I wont have much more to add. The Dataset is impressive with new innovative industry products, which are much more than our previous version granted that the version we were using without updating it was over 10 years old. All in All I would say it is a excellent product and for the last 11 years have always relied on the Software to put me in a competitive market place.

Brett from Correct Mechanical Services, Inc

October 2012

We are a commercial HVAC company. We are bidding all the time from referrals and off our Builders Exchange website. Until recently, we did all our bidding manually with pencil and paper, taking off blueprints with rulers, etc. We were referred to Maxwell Systems by friends and bought the system. I went to training and had no problem picking up the methodology to using the system. Any questions we encountered back at the office, have always been quickly answered, whether it was an IT question or general use of the estimation software. Digital Takeoff has allowed us to estimate faster by tracking multiple parts of the overall estimation at one time, i.e., hours, materials, equipment. We are pleased with how Maxwell has positivily impacted our bidding.

brad from Baumgart Mechanical

I have had a good experience with this program, however I think the digitizer system was much faster

Accurate time and material takeoff's.

Pros

I have been a Estimation user for over 20 years. What I like most about the program is the support I get. The quick responses as well as the ability to join in on what I am seeing is great.

Cons

The amount of steps it takes to get started on a new takeoff page. I would like everything to stay the same when I am finished with a page and go to the next without having to set everything back up. If anything like scale or pressure class is going to change then I will make the changes.

October 2012

Mike from Frank Milard & Company, Inc.

October 2012

Frank Millard & Company, Inc. is a full service industrial contractor located in southeast Iowa. We provide total turn key industrial concstruction services including general construction, painting, roofing, sheet metal, HVAC, mechanical, and electrical. Currently we use Maxwell Systems software for estimating sheet metal, mechanical and electrical project. We are in the process of upgrading to digital take off. Our account manager (Cindy Ray) has been instrumental in working with FMC to update our systems. We are looing forward to full implementation of the digital take off with the goal of streamlining our estimating process, turning out high quality estimates in a faster time thus lower the cost to prepare each etimate.