Clio Reviews

4.7 / 5 (1,152) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 113 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "I love how easy it is to use. I love how easy it is to correct or edit. I love love love that I can work literally from any location!!"

• "Very intuitive and easy to use. This product does everything that we need."

• "I love how this program is easy to use and understand. It is fairly straight forward and has many useful features that make it easy to keep track of billing hours, client contact, etc."

• Cons

• "Customization options for home page and lack of deep search. Reporting could be better and easier but overall its a great tool. "

• "The updated calendar on the app took a little getting used to, but otherwise everything has been very user-friendly"

• "Not many complaints--the only thing is that the software recently updated (within the past year or so), and it took some time to adjust."

Browse Clio Reviews

J.P. from Hoene & Worrell

Industry: Law Practice

Clio is the best option for a solo or small firm law practice

After 3 years, I am still working at discarding habits and practices built up over 25 years as a practicing attorney to better incorporate Clio's feature into my daily work flow. One of Clio's driving philosophy's is to make lawyers more productive with their time, and make lawyers services more accessible to persons that need legal advice. Clio's focus on providing multiple access points, including mobile apps designed from the ground up with these two goals in mind, will pay off for both Clio and my practice in the long run.

Pros

The Clio platform is not intended to be a closed, proprietary system. Instead, it forms the foundation for the day to day management of leads, clients, time, documents, and billing, supplemented by almost 200 third party integrations, with new offerings coming on line each month. Clio offers unlimited cloud storage and IOS/Android apps making all of your firm information, clients, and documents available 24/7. Clio continues to innovate and as the leading provider to small/medium law firms throughout the world, I don't worry about whether they will be in business a few years from now. Finally, all, yes all, of your data saved in Clio is easily exportable should you decide to change to a different vendor.

Cons

Clio's growth means that feature changes must be more fully vetted as they are used by more than 150,000 legal professionals. As they broaden their perspective to encompass larger firms, the pace of change may continue to be more deliberate. The movement and management of files without a third party integration, such as FasterLaw, is cumbersome. Clio's own integrations with Office365 for emails and calendaring remain a work in progress.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Largest user base and least likely to get assimilated or go out of business, forcing another vendor change.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

At the time I decided to look at alternatives, in 2017, the product was getting worse, not better.

Lindsay from Greg A. Hughes, P.C., Attorney At Law

Industry: Law Practice

Great software and user friendly!

My overall experience has been great! They are always making sure to take the next step in integrations and constantly keep their software up to date and secure.

Pros

I liked how the IT team literally walked me through the entire set-up/integration. To be 100% honest, they recovered & transferred my crashed billing entries from Timeslips into their system. There are so many positives re: Clio software that I cannot pick what I like most; however, the Quick Bill & Payment Plan features are very convenient. Oh, I can't write a review and not mention the LawPay integration. That is also a great feature!

Cons

I hate when I am asked for instructions on setting up their client portal because I have no instructions to give them. I wish Clio had a .pdf that I could hand to every new client. I also wish there were more options re: billing history printouts for the Court. This is VERY important when asking for ATTY fees.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

I chose Clio because of the support team.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Timeslips crashed and they would not help me unless I upgraded.

Daniel from Vincent Law

Great comprehensive practice management solution for lawyers

After almost a year with Clio I can safely say I'm happy with my purchase.

Pros

The integration with Quickbooks Online is clutch. While there are still some additional functionalities I would build into it, I love that a transaction in Clio creates a journal entry in QB that I can then link to a bank transaction. Makes bookkeeping way easier.

Cons

I wish that a client could access Clio for Clients and Clio Connect at the same time.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

I considered sticking with Canopy, but they charge by the client contact while Clio charges by the firm user, so as a solo lawyer, Clio also made more sense financially.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

By integrating with LawPay, Clio helps me stay compliant with trust accounting, and Canopy did not (because it's targeted to accountants rather than lawyers). I also appreciated LawPay's merchant fee transparency.

Ashley from Law Office of Jill V. Johnson Vigil, LLC

Better for new attorneys

If you're not used to a system, this can be made into a good system for you. There are a lot of functions missing--like being able to track time associated with flat fee activities (so you can't track productivity or if you do, you can't print out your billable hours without some discussion to the ethics board). You can track e-mails and phone calls, but not faxes, letters, or text messages. You can set tasks for others that you can update, but the update doesn't get sent to the other person. You can set pop-ups on your calendar for yourself, but not for other people. You can track the budget of a case, but not the running total of transactions or expenses. You can integrate with Quickbooks, but you have to import and export the information--the information does not flow freely between the two. The calendar has all of the same pitfalls as Google Calendar because it is Google calendar but with some functions missing. You can upload and download documents, and you must do that in order to save any changes with Clio (unless you pay for HIPAA-compliant Google Drive Professional). Your receptionist has to separately capture phone messages from your client to you because only you can have conversations. Wandering between the conversations page and the logs page means that you will always end up back in the Matters tab. If you're trying to capture a phone call with a person not in the system you have to exit the phone call and lose all of the information to enter that person before you can save the conversation to a file. It's not customizeable. There are some pros over Amicus but many features I miss (such as being able to track time directly with the phone call, including the time the call was initiated) but it has good parts about it. If you're into nitty-gritty capturing of information and you have the time to invest it can be a good platform but trying to teach established attorneys how to rework their legal practice around it is difficult.

Pros

It's online. The timer can be stopped and started easily.

Cons

I spend about two (2) hours a day implementing workarounds to make the system work because it was not built for family law practice or file review. It's a good backup system but it's nothing very reliable unless you're willing to invest the time into making it work.

Response from Themis Solutions

Replied March 2017

Hey Ashley, This is all fantastic feedback and definitely provides some valuable insight into areas we can improve in order to make Clio work better for all attorneys out of the box. Any chance we could get you on a call with our product team so that they can hear your suggestions? - Derek, Clio Community Manager

Yunus from Yunus M. Paisner, Attorney PC

Clio: the best on the market

Very satisfied.

Pros

The software operates completely in a web browser. No cloud, no software to be installed on your desktop. If you have fast internet, you have fast attorney practice software, simply put. The visual layout is modern, visually appealing and easy to use. Clio is very customizable, and "works well with others" if have partnered with many great other platforms such as Lawpay, Quickbooks, and Zipwhip to name a few.

Cons

So far, nothing we least like about it Clio.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

See comments above under "what did you most like about this software." Also we liked straightforward pricing, short contract (1 year) to get a discount and the many hands-on on-on-one trainings the prior software never offered. Smart and organized staff supporting a smart and organized product. What a breath of fresh air!

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Our last software, which we were saddled with for 3 years, was AbacusNext "Amicus Attorney" in the cloud environment. Absolutely DO NOT even consider AbacusNext. Buggy, slow, crashes all the time, does not link well, terrible customer service, rude support and sales staff and over-priced. What more is there to say?

Ginger from Ginger Perusek Attorney at Law

Exceptional Value.

Exceptional, professional, easy to use, easy to learn. Simply far more wonderful than I ever expected.

Pros

The time and billing program is easy to use. Keeps you on track to bill clients timely, accurately reflects you day, unbilled time as well as billed time. Highly functional. Exceptional Customer Service. This is the best decision I made in years.

Cons

I do not have any Cons about the program. I wish I used it daily in the beginning of my learning curve.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Price. Meet my needs the best as a small User base.

No customer service.

Candace from Seagroves Legal, PLLC

Clio Has Made the Start of My New Law Firm Even More Successful

Clio takes case management to a whole new level! Not only does it help me better organize my files and tasks, but it helps me quickly go between several tasks and files with ease. Clio helps me make the most of each and every day by its easy time management options - making bills quick and easy! Utilizing Clio Manage with Clio Grow has been the perfect setup that I needed as I started my own firm. There is no question that I am better managing my clients and my practice with the use of this software.

Pros

My favorite feature of Clio is Clio GROW. I got it right from the start along with Clio Manage and I highly recommend it. As a sole practitioner, I need to be able to streamline and automate my intake process. Additionally, I need to keep up with my leads for marketing purposes. Clio Grow has enabled me to be much faster in my response time with new clients. It is very evident to me that my rate of conversion has been substantially increased with the utilization of Grow and now I cannot imagine my practice without it.

Cons

I have seriously not found anything I do not like about this software. I have really practiced with it and have found every feature to be helpful.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

I liked all the integration features of Clio. I know that Clio will continue to evolve as the other systems do to which ensure I am always "up to date" with my management system.

Bert from Steinmann Law Firm

Passing the blame....

Clio set us up for LawPay. Less than 1 week into this month we suddenly can't take anyone's payments. We call Clio and they tell us there is no problem, must be the customer's problem. On two separate occasions they told us there was no limit to the payments we could intake for bills. Finally contact Lawpay who says there is a limit, we exceeded it, and now we can't take another 70 some odd payments this month and the clients all think we are idiots. Why would they sign us up for a program that limits retainers and payments to $10,000 when Clio knows we have 4 full time employees based on the licensees we have?

Pros

I thought everything was integrated and intuitive.

Cons

Always something that seems like a simple question but impossible to find the answer. The live customer service has mislead us on two or more occasions.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Trying to keep up with the best programs / software

Mary Ann from Mary Ann McField LLC

Great case management program

Clio is the first program I open everyday; I would be loss without it.

Pros

Clio is a great cloud based case management program. I can carry my caseload on my mobile phone. I love clio features, such as task, client connect and the integration with other programs.

Cons

The email integration can be improved by reducing the steps to download emails. Nevertheless, I still like the email feature.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

At the time that I switch, Amicus was not a cloud based program.

Christopher from Christopher S. Reser PC

Overall we believe it has increased our productivity and bottom line tremendously.

Pros

We mainly use the calendar, billing and file storage aspects. All are easy to use and save us a lot of time. the mobil app is a great supplement for someone who is in court a lot.

Cons

Split billing where we bill two people on the same case is difficult.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

This program had more options and storage ability. it was easier to use as well.

Peggy from Rebecca Smith Law Firm pllc

Industry: Law Practice

Cleo will solve all your law firm problems

My overall experience with Cleo has been fantastic and has changed how I do my daily job for the better. It has made life at work much easier and less stressful. It has allowed me to free up time that's better spent on creating documents forming businesses etc.

Pros

I loved Cleo from the moment a representative gave us an overview of the software and what it had to offer. After that demonstration I couldn't wait to try the software. I love that Cleo allows you to customize the program to your specific law firms needs. There is an enormous amount of ability to customize clients billing and matters. I've never found a software like this one before nor one that allows you so much freedom to make it your own. There are two sections to Cleo Cleo grow and Cleo manage. Cleo grow allows you to enter potential new clients and track their progress as to whether they hire the law firm get referred out or don't hire the law firm. It has saved me from keeping up with two separate spreadsheets which allows me more time to work on important tasks. Once in Cleo grow you can move a client over to Cleo manage once they hire you. Once in Cleo grow everything about your client and their case is all contained on their own individual dashboard. Within that dashboard you can store communications their documents their payment transactions emails billing their time they're expenses etc. And because of the categories you can customize I'm able to enter the important information needed for their particular case and it's no farther than one click away. I have to say the Cleo support and help section is spectacular and one of the best I've ever come across. They have a clear academy which offers training on specific things you can do in the software.

Cons

The only thing I found so far that I'm not fond of with the software is the flat rate billing. Our Law Firm wants to keep track of the time spent on a case even if it's for flat fee. I'm still trying to find a way to best show this on an invoice and after researching Cleo help section they don't seem to have a real clear method of doing it.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Once again we went straight to Cleo because it was so highly recommended. Once we looked over the software features and spoke with a representative we were sold on the product and had no need to look further.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

We made the switch because time 59 was not serving our needs. Even though we were using this software I still had to keep multiple reports outside of the software to keep up with my clients in their cases.

Amy from Hughes & Nunn LLP

Satisfied Clio user for 5+ years, recently purchased for additional firm

I am very satisfied with Clio as an online time management option. If you want/need to be 100% in-the-cloud, I would choose and recommend this program most highly to other firms. I prefer it to Bill4Time, CosmoLex, TimeSlips (not online). It also has things I like better than Prolaw (which also is not online). I don't use many of the advanced features Clio offers like integrations, Clio payments or even calendar, tasks because of the way may firms are set up. So, I can't speak to those features.

Pros

I like Clio's simplicity and intuitiveness best. It really is the easiest time management program I have used. If you want to get up and running, like, literally, now, you can purchase Clio online with a push of a button and have open matters and clients/contact in minutes. I originally chose this product 5+ years ago for a small firm I manage, after looking at most of the online time management products on the market. I chose it specifically because it seemed the easiest in which to enter time. One of the attys I work with isn't great with a keyboard. Clio time entry required the least amount of effort, was the easiest to navigate and simplest to look at. But after using Clio, as well as, other online time management products (I manage a few small law firms), I really appreciate the easy of creating and EDITING invoices, which I do extensively at my firms. Lastly, I recently utilized Clio's FREE migration services to move from another online software, which I did not like. The migration took one hour on the phone, one day for them to migrate, and was pretty seamless! I've migrated data a few times (Prolaw and CosmoLex) and this was by FAR the easiest. The customer service is always great, even though I don't have to use it often because Clio is so simple to use.

Cons

Only 1. I haven't mastered LEDES ebililng on Clio yet. At one of my firms, we do only LEDES98 ebilling. If you don't know what this is, stop reading, you will not experience this minor Con. I am having trouble perfecting the LEDES98 txt files and uploading them. Granted, this is my first month of e-billing on Clio at this firm, so I'm sure customer service will correct it for me. It's just that a few other time management programs I have used had no LEDES glitches and uploaded perfectly the first time. The price is also high for small firms. But all online billing programs are.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Simply because of ease of use of user interface (and all the other reasons stated above).

Reasons for Switching to Clio

At both firms, attys wanted to be 100% cloud-based. At the firm I've used Clio for 5+ years, we used TimeSlips prior. At the firm I have used Clio for only 30 days, I used CosmoLex for 60 days and REALLY didn't like it so I made the horribly painful decision to switch 2x. Prior to CosmoLex, we had used Prolaw for 20+ years, which I loved, but it wasn't cloud-based.

Richard from Law Office of Richard Filiberto

Industry: Law Practice

Split personality software - two steps for the function of one

Clio allow you to generate bills - take payments online - and has a rudimentary accounting system.

Pros

Clio is quite robust with many functions geared for law offices. Much of the thrust is for multiple lawyer offices ( which makes sense) and some also work for solo firms (my office is a solo office). There is a forms component which is poorly integrated with Clio. It does allow you to create an online fillable form - but the steps to have that information fed into your database for the practice is cumbersome and not intuitive. Yo are using two independent programs - which is unlike both Practicve Panther and My Case. In the other two the feed into the database is direct - no two programs - no multiple steps to move rom one database to another.

Cons

As mentioned, the multiple step s needed to use the forms - and the cost for that portion of the platform - make this a terrible choice. If you want to use forms as questionares and to populate your database - and update the database - by client input - this is definitely NOT the platform to use.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

I was told the forms were integrated - they are not - and so I will be migrating away again

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Originally I was a Clio user - they had no forms and there were some other issues. Practive Pnther is a bit slow - apparently the result of being on a microsoft backbone. Still is (I use both now while transitioning). MyCase was the first one i used - but the ability to control the look of the bills is nonexistent - but it is quite fast.

Þorsteinn from Almenna lögþjónustan ehf.

clio law DATA management

Support easy super good. Clio fixed problems with non english characters in days, Timemattes did not fix it in 20 years we have been complaining. Clio has extremely good search features and all sorts of filtering. For instance universal search that goes through matters, contacts, events, notes, tasks, time/expenses logs, documents content, doc, names, and communications (emails, sec. mess, phone log). clio portal for clients, e sign easy to make form-documents connects to IP phone etc. Faster law is a must I would say. To make a great package even better we subscribed also to Faster Law which has done a fantastic add on to Clio. There you get tools to capture your time automatically, the programs keeps track on how long you spend working on case files, e mails etc. in different cases and suggests billable time for that. There is a lot more like file handling, better way to link e mails, save and link attachments and files, you can explore your files on Clio’s serves in you file explorer.

Pros

For us the program has changed everything in the workflow to the better. In our opinion Clio’s forte is how flexible it is. Every law firm has its own different way of organizing workflow and Clio can accommodate for that, at least our whims and quirks which we have abundant of. The program is like potty in your hand. You mold and sculp the program according to your own special needs in the workflow. The only barrier is your own imagination. You decide how information is inserted, in what order and form and how it is presented. You make your own work procedures. You can organize and make chains of tasks beforehand and set the relevant type of chain of tasks to fit the case you are working on. Then, there and now, the future workflow is decided and set for that case.

Cons

You can not copy matters/cases and clients. It is not easy to move data fram TM to clio. We decided not to to it. Integration between outlook calander and clio calander does not work, it is so slow it is not usable. But the integration between google cal and clio cal is excellent.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio is flexible. Very stapple and predictable. Clio is easy to manage and learn. Excellent support. Handles non english characters well.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Time Matters is old fashioned, originally written for DOS and has restrictions therefore. Does not offer any real cloud solution only remote desktope.

Patrick from HooverLaw, LLC

Clio, the best all purpose attorney software, bar none...

Outstanding experience with something for everyone just depending on one's level of interest and need.

Pros

Functionality is nearly universal while specially and jusisdiction costomization is great. Easy law firm branding and pre sale marketing is brilliant. Support is outstanding and the Premium Support even better for speedy, live agent help. Cost is reasonable and many available plans on their menu of options. Clio grows nicely with solid feature burstsoften free to it's users. Excellent and often updated/enlarged mobile App across all usual platforms: Appke, Android, Windows... Superior online instant pay clientbinvoucing, and client trust account requests The wide assortment of excellent and Rock solid 3rd party software affiliations is very impresdive.

Cons

I was fortunate to have free help migrating my existing, Timeslips database compiled over many years but it ain't quite so free today...Also, I'm still not a fan of the communications tools for clients and othes not subscribed to Clio.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Cost was far more advantageous to others and functionality far greater

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Clio offered a better interface, and easier learning curve on an all super secure encrypted cloud based system enabling staff to also take full part in the foundational underlie of the program. Exactly as it should be in any real-world biz software offering.

Thad from Vazquez @ Servi, PC

Security is lacking for the accounting side. Otherwise it's a very good software.

We have been with Clio since about the middle of October 2019 (today is April 3, 2020) and we are mostly pleased. I think that most case management software works on the same theory: a contact (person or enterprise) can have several different matters (cases). Like most users, we just want it to work and it does (with the exception of the accounting problem described above). Clio has so many helpful features and integrations that it could take a year or two just to get a small to medium-size office up to speed with using all the features. However, UNTIL CLIO FIXES THE ACCOUNTING SECURITY PROBLEM, DO NOT SWITCH FROM YOUR CURRENT PROGRAM.

Pros

-It has very robust features and integrations. - I love that the document repository is built-in and built into the price. - Tech support is good via chat, so I can resolve issues quickly. -Because it's the leading player in cloud-based case management, it seems like integrations are more numerous. -Only on rare occasions have I seen the software go off-line or slow down. -The outlook and word integrations are robust. -It's easy to find experts who work with Clio because it's such a significant player. We are now setting up operations with a Clio expert bookkeeper. We could not do that when we used a competitor program called PracticePanther.

Cons

1. EMBEZZLERS PARADISE. Clio's accounting security settings allow anyone who can make a receipt for receiving a payment also to be able to EDIT that payment afterward. So, a dishonest employee could make a receipt for $500 cash, pocket $300, and then go back and edit that receipt to be only $200. Right now are using carbon copy receipts as a workaround, but that's not very professional or 21st century. CLIO, YOU GOTTA GET IT TOGETHER AND FIX THIS. That same security setting described above also allows users with that setting to see a client's balance before their case is submitted (as a flat fee immigration firm, we want to be paid before the case is finished). Clio supposedly tried to fix this by allowing a balance to be viewed without being able to edit payments but that feature it doesn't work. 2. It would be nice to see a texting feature to verify appointments within Clio. Other cloud-based case management does that. With Clio you have to buy another program for texting. 3. It would be nice if we could see all communications for each matter just by clicking on the contact. It is something that Clio should make as a feature that can be turned on and off. It would work better for our firm because we represent individuals in immigration cases that could have three or four different matters.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

We narrowed it down to Clio and PracticePanther. We used PracticePanther for a year and then we switched to Clio which is better overall. I also like that Clio clearly does not "Front Gate" it's reviews which I suspect PracticePanther did. No software is going to make thousands of users give it a 4.999 average review. So if you see that, beware, they are "Front Gating." I look forward to Clio fixing the accounting glitch and to also partnering with them for years to come.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

PracticePanther was too slow. Problems were compounded because we used their preferred document repository called box.com which would also quit working sometimes. Some features were better than Clio but in general, Clio is a superior program.

Laurie from Kademenos, Wisehart, Hines, Dolyk & Zeiher Co. LPA

Great functionality and awesome customer service

Clio has allowed us all to access information we need from one place and pull customized reports that allow for better business planning. Honestly, it's one of the most user friendly client database software that I've ever used.

Pros

What I like most about Clio and it's developers is that when there is a feature you believe would be a great enhancement and you suggest it to them, it seems like not long thereafter you have that enhancement.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I don't like, honestly.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

We were invited to their annual conference the year before we purchased it so we could speak to others using it and speak to the developers of the software. We've been back to their conferences several times thereafter!

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Abacus was too burdensome and very expensive for what you got with the software in my view.

Tanya Mitchell from The Law Office of Tanya Mitchell Graham, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

Clio has changed my life!

My CFO's timed has been freed up tremendously because we now bill with Clio and she does not have to enter time from all users into a similar computer software. We all can work from anywhere and capture our time with the Clio app! Love it!

Pros

I love the functionality of Clio, and how we can manage time for each user on multiple devices. I not longer have to keep up with my start time for a task, my completion time, the calculation with what portion of an hour was teh time, or completing timesheets for a billing professional to then enter into a software to generate client invoices. Additionally, the billing process has been simplied and can be run from any computer. Further, the ability to keep up with each staff member's productivity is AWESOME! Clio has definitely changed my legal life!

Cons

Getting acclimated was sort of difficult because my rep was new at the time. The regular support team helped us with the remaining onboarding.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio had better customer service and unlimited storage space for documents.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

We needed the flexibility that Clio offers for billings. We also have Clio Grow, and it has made new client intake a breeze!

Eileen Noon from Law Offices Of Eileen Noon Miller, LLC

Why I find a Clio essential

Terrific.

Pros

Why I find a Clio essential Is as a sole proprietor of a small business, Clio operates as my check and balance. The small law firm I was at prior to going on my own used Clio and while I do not use all the features because I do mostly appointed work, the features I do use are essential on assuring me I am on top of my game 99.44% of the time.

Cons

As a very busy person, what I like least about Clio is it operates as a reminder to me that I could probably do a lot more if I ever took the day or two to get all the educated on how to do some of the things I do in a rather long handled manner. I am 60 years old and have been a lawyer for 33 years. I recommend Clio to many of the young lawyers I know just starting out or only a few years in the practice to help them ensure themselves they’re keeping track of their time, their appointments, their clients etc. I point out any problem I’ve ever had with Clio was quickly addressed and fixed and that I couldn’t be happier. I have to tell them that if I was them and had their computer skills and knowledge this thing would operate all necessary prompting for me I have to tell them that if I was them and had their computer skills and knowledge this thing would operate all necessary prompting for me.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

The office I was with made the switch. And it was a terrific switch in my opinion.

Richard from LAW OFFICES OF GOMEZ & GOMEZ

Best Decision I made was to make the switch

Easier to manage all aspects of a case with CLIO

Pros

Easy to use, customer support is awesome, helpful tutorial videos and great client experience. I have received multiple compliments on the style and ease of paying on-line.

Cons

It was not syncing with QuickBooks when posting to CLIO but that may have been addressed recently. I need to check with my bookkeeper.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

I asked around and even had CLIO provide me with a referral in my area of practice so I could see how they liked it and if there were any issues. I confirmed CLIO was a solid company and would be around. The Florida Bar indorsement was also key.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Constant issues from an IT stand point. Not as user friendly

Margy from HKM Employment Attorneys LLP

The Future of Cloud Computing in the Legal Industry

Clio has been really helpful organizing a small solo practice and getting that attorney up and running, and then expanding their practice accordingly. It's a great, central location for file management, and being able to use Quickbooks and Clio for billing is spectacular. Clio's client support is stellar, and that is worth a LOT when it comes to case management. Overall, Clio is an excellent choice, and even with my complaints, I do believe it is the standard for the future.

Pros

I really do believe that Clio is the future of legal cloud computing and practice/file management. It's a functional piece of software that allows attorneys and legal staff to manage cases with ease. There are a few things that I find to be useful with Clio: 1. Clio integrates with tons of other software options, including Grow (a CRM management tool). Keeping things "in the family" is really useful and speeds up management. 2. Clio's billing functionality is really nice. It's one of the more functional back end management tools I've seen, and I really like the way it works. You can integrate it with Quickbooks for easy accounting, which we really appreciate and which looks great on the user end (for clients, when they receive bills). 3. Clio sports a really professional interface, which just looks nice when you're working. It looks grown up and sleek, so if someone peeks over your shoulder or you're working while in the vicinity of clients, it doesn't have a preschool feeling to it. 4. Most important - Clio's customer support is incredible. Have an issue? There are videos you can watch, or people you can talk to. They will literally stay on the phone with you for hours as you troubleshoot issues together, or learn something new. Top notch, seriously.

Cons

I do have a few gripes about Clio. If these were addressed, it would get a 5-star rating from me: 1. Mouseclicks. Clio requires so. many. mouseclicks. It is infuriating at times. I realize this sounds stupid, but over time, they add up. I am a huge fan of efficiency, and Clio is one of the most inefficient programs I've used. 2. Workflows. I really enjoy using workflows to track various projects. Clio sucks at workflows. A complete rework of how they approach them, and how they look for interface with the staff who are responsible for executing, would go a LONG WAY toward making Clio a more useful application. I think workflows are really the topic that causes Clio to lag behind other software out on the market. I would like to see something in place that allows a user to create a workflow, move tasks around in the list, add subtasks to tasks, and assign triggering dates, secondary dates, etc. It would also be useful to be able to assign various tasks to various users. Until that's in place, I'll be sad about using Clio. 3. A central location for performing various functions. Clio does have a left-hand toolbar that allows you to do SOME things, but not ALL things. It would be good if, from the left-hand menu, I could do each discrete thing that I can do in Clio by clicking a mouse a zillion times. Once that happens, I'll be happier. 4. Document management. I'm out of room, but it is not idea. Too much downloading/uploading. Dropbox is better (for collaborati

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio came recommended by another practitioner who had gone solo and had a great experience.

Christopher from OPLaw, L.L.C.

Industry: Law Practice

A good product, getting better all the time

My overall experience with CLIO has been very positive. Having a system that tracks my cases, especially my time management, has been essential. While I don't love the algorithm used in the metrics, as opposed to just showing me what I have done and earned in whole minutes and dollars, having those metrics lets me see how close I am to meeting my goals. And the billing software is incredible and easy to use. Most of all, I like that the CLIO team seems to understand that there is always room for improvement and is asking its customers and users for feedback, and actually makes improvements. I have been using CLIO for only a year, and CLIO has had two significant improvements in that time, both that were in my view positive adjustments of an already good product. CLIO is some monolithic and static program that you have to take as it is; it continues to grow and improve with user input.

Pros

CLIO does all of the basic things that a lawyer needs a case management software system to do - keeps track of clients, cases, related persons, keeps a calendar of events, even does billing in all the ways a lawyer bills a client. I especially like the document generation software, which allows our firm to efficiently create a large number of similar documents, motions, and other pleadings for our cases. Finally, I appreciate CLIO's ability to customize fields for contacts and matters.

Cons

CLIO is missing some things that I took for granted in other software, the biggest being warning the user when a scheduling conflict occurs on the calendar. For a busy litigation practice that spans several counties in my state, having a automatic conflict warning when I am scheduling would be extremely helpful in ensuring I am never double-booked. One of the things I hope CLIO will consider improving in the future is making their document templates able to be organized or with a search function. As an attorney who works in criminal court, family, court probate court, and civil court, I generate a lot of different documents, and its always a chore going through the list to find the one I need. Even organizing documents by category, which CLIO also permits users to customize as needed, would be an improvement in efficiency. A final thought for improving CLIO would be in the Contacts system, adding a checkbox to permit the use of a work address and other contact information for the contact, both when creating a contact from scratch, or when adding a new contact under a Matter as a related person. Right now, whenever I add a new police officer in my criminal defense cases, even though I have their police department in my contacts, I have to type out the address, phone number, website, etc. in the new officer's contact. A checkbox would save me a great deal of time, or just add the employer contact information as the contact's work addresses as a default.

Sean from Lynch LLP

Best feature set available

Very positive; I love the software.

Pros

Clio integrates with so much other software to make your life easier that is just can't be beat. Saving emails via Outlook, generating document templates, collecting e-signatures on engagement agreements—whatever you need, Clio has it. I can also run billing, monitor bill payments, and overall run the entire law firm with minimal effort, minimal time commitment, and with confidence that everything is running smoothly.

Cons

There are some smaller points that can drive you insane. For example, you cannot customize the look of the emails that go out when you share matters, bill, etc. with your clients. If you—like me—transition from a solo practitioner to running a small law firm, you will eventually need to open new bank accounts. Clio will not let you eliminate the old bank accounts and start from scratch. You can't even force the old bank accounts to be otherwise "invisible" to the system so that you cannot accidentally record money moving into a defunct account. This is a minor complaint, but man does it drive me insane. I also still want to see a task assignment that allows me to set a supervisor for each assigned task.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Much better integrations with 3rd parties and a willingness to continue adding new integrations.

Sue from LevickRoth

Clio's billing system

Overall, our experience with Clio's billing system has been positive - everyone likes the time entry. We are glad we went to Clio, its so much better than that other program we had been using.

Pros

We got Clio specifically for its billing program. Its great that everyone can enter their own time into Clio. I like how Clio does “macros” [they call them “text snippets”]. They work without having to use a code key. The software is easy to use – for someone like me who is not a bookkeeper and hasn’t done a lot of billing before, it takes a little while to learn how to use it correctly, but once you know how things work, it’s a breeze. The very best thing about Clio, though, is its support staff! They are all great – it doesn’t matter who I’ve talked to they are all quick at getting to the root of my problem and showing me how to fix it. I have called other companies asking questions about their software and sometimes you just don’t believe what they tell you. It has never been that way with Clio – every one of their support staff is very knowledgeable and can quickly set you straight! Also, Clio is open to suggestions from us and when they get a certain amount of inquiries asking if “they could change this or that”, they will work on it. We have been using Clio for 2 years next month and there are a couple of things they have implemented that we had requested, which is really cool!

Cons

Spell checking in the billing software is not what it could be – it does have the little red underlines if it thinks something is misspelled [like Word], which apparently is easy for some people to ignore. It would be better if Clio had its own dictionary and didn’t depend on the one in the browser. In order to do spell checks, we have to: export the time to a CSV file, spread out the column for the description, run a spell check and remember not to correct the errors there, but go back and find each entry in Clio and correct them there. It’s a little time consuming, and depending on how many typos each person makes during the month, it can be very time consuming, but its much better than reading the draft invoices word for word and finding the errors that way. It would be great if Clio could add spell checking so that it can be run in Clio without having to export and go back and forth. The only other “con” we have with Clio’s billing system is with discounting invoices. It is very easy to discount an invoice by percentage or a dollar amount, but Clio only applies discounts on the total amount of the invoice, including client expenses, not on time spent only, so we usually put in a dollar amount so the discount comes out to the amount we want it to be , although Clio still applies that amount to the entire invoice.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Any other products never had a chance!

Reasons for Switching to Clio

We had to type our time in word and then it had to be copied into the other program - not necessarily the program's fault, but just a result of "how it was" when we joined forces with another company. It was too cumbersome and took too much time. Plus the other program was not the easiest to use. Clio is so much better!

Jared from Law Offices of Jared I. Loucel, P.A.

Industry: Law Practice

Review of Clio use and functionality

I have been able to delegate more to my support staff by using the different scheduling and tasking features without giving up on my oversight, since I can verify overdue tasks and completed tasks. Also, my staff has been able to manage my calendar through the case and firm calendar features which allows me to draft more and be able to schedule more hearings. I am in and out of the office most days and the cloud-based aspect of this software and mobile app allows me to keep track of my schedule, access my matters, and contact clients as needed. Overall my experience has been excellent; I moved from using 4-5 programs and apps to manage my practice, to using 2 because of the integration in the Clio suite. I have recommended this software to several friends and have help to train some of them on the basics while they were feeling it out.

Pros

I like the fact that there are different levels of cost for the need of your business. I started with one user on the lower tier, then moved up to include more options and added a user. I like the fact that not only does it provide billing and payment integration, but, at the time I upgraded, it included the monthly cost to use Law Pay (which I have also found helpful).

Cons

I feel there are some personal preferences I would like to use in my reports viewing and accounting. But there was a recent revamp rolled out a few months ago that did address some of my needs. Admittedly, although I have used the product for almost 4 years now, I have not watched all the tutorial videos or called with all of my specific questions, even though with the boutique package there is a dedicated help line.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

I liked the feel of the product and flow of the features better. Also, I have friends who made the switch to Abacus and after they moved all files and information decided it wasn't exactly what they were looking for, but did not want the headache of making another switch.

Peter from Law Offices of Peter Sverd, PLLC

All I Need

Terrific, a true game changer!

Pros

Clio provides an all in one suite of applications that are necessary for my law firm to operate. We used to rely on a stand-alone billing software program for our billing and time-tracking. Of course every computer or user we added cost us more money on top of the software itself. When the software became outdated and no longer supported, we had to purchase the latest version. We also relied upon emails to assign tasks, and give each other messages about the cases we were working on together- without a centralized location for the team to track and review each other's notes and progress, each member had to rely upon their own notes, memos, emails, etc. This was inefficient and time consuming. Another fun part of my day was searching for contact information of opposing counsel on particular matters. Often times I would search emails, review the documents on a case, or review documents in the file to get the contact information I needed. Calendaring was also an administrative hurdle. Entering dates in a separate software system led to disorganization, and required jumping around from one program to another to manage information and learn where attorneys were supposed to be. Clio puts all of these functions , and more, under one roof. It has made the work flow in my law firm seamless, efficient, easy, and organized. Clio does it all, and I am truly grateful for this product.

Cons

I would like it to be easier to review the billing entries of other users in real time.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

I wanted an all-in one suite of programs, rather than stand alone platforms.

Amber from BDM Law LLP

Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use and great support

The overall experience has been an absolute pleasure. I love it! It makes time recording, billing and credit control very straightforward. It sets out the matter and client information in a very simple and straightforward manner. Support is great too which makes a big difference. Everyone who has joined our company has got on with it with just half an hour of general training. Nobody complains about it.

Pros

Clio is very user-friendly and intuitive. Even if you do not have experience or training on Clio, there is a certain about of functions which you can work out how to use but by having a play with the system. Time recording is very straightforward and it makes our billing easy.

Cons

Downsides are: there is no currency conversation; cannot split invoices on one matter (e.g. we have to 2 or more entities responsible for payment say, 50/50, but there is no way of automatically splitting the invoice; no summary front sheet for an invoice.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Can't remember what other products we looked at but Clio just seemed to be so straightforward. It looked great, seemed user-friendly and the support was, and still is, superb.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

We found LawWare difficult to navigation and the support wasn't great.

Steven from Law Offices of Steven E. Blumenthal, P.A.

Very Satisfied

Very satisfied; excellent product.

Pros

Easy to use -- calendaring, opening new matters, time entries, notes, billing. I like the interface, the way it looks. Program includes trust accounting. Can include/integrate credit card billing as an option which I did, and works well. Have used Law Pay for a while and it integrates through Clio. Send out invoices through Clio, client can click on button to make credit card payment, and have option to have program automatically apply to open invoices when payment comes in -- get email notifications of payments. Very satisfied with the program -- does what I need and enjoy using.

Cons

I don't think it's a negative factor, but don't use the mobile app much, for whatever that means. Tend to just check my iphone calendar (I use Office 365 to integrate, other options also I think like Google to integrate -- Clio integrates with Office 365 and iphone calendar will show Office and Google calendar events). There is a new beta version of the mobile app available for use that looked at today and I like -- I could see using that to make entries if I need while out of the office, but usually just do all of that at my computer in the office.

Tracy from Vaught Law Firm, P.C.

Clio is a mixed bag

The worst is retainers. Without being able to customize my email message globally, I can't use the trust payment request. It just confuses clients. Did I say hours and hours and hours? I will say that their service is fabulous. However, they keep making new abilities that to me are inconsequential compared with retainers. Oh, and not having global text snippets? How hard can that be? I have to go to 8 different users if I add something. Really a waste of time. Fix the real stuff. Then add bells and whistles.

Pros

I love that billing is so much easier, that my team can enter time remotely.

Cons

Clio was not developed by any sort of accountant. The reports are lacking, you can't memorize reports, everything within the software isn't consistent (like using the term everyone one place and all users in another place). The reports are inconsistent with what you can filter by on each report. There are still things where my account names are redundant - like Johnson - Divorce: Divorce. The biggest gripe I have is about replenishing retainers. The retainer replenishments don't get printed on the bill - I know it is because clio payments won't let you make a combined trust/legal fee payment, but they could have one link for anything owed and another link if a replenishment is due. Really - we webt to the moon 50 years ago but we can't figure this out? I spend hours and hours dealing with contacting clients to replenish. Also, way you enter into clio is clunky. I have to pick up my mouse all the time. It needs to be more like quickbooks entry. You never have to pick up your mouse.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Because I really liked the interface and the ease of editing time. I thought it was a given that the reports would be well written, consistent and that retainers would be handled properly. And who would have ever asked if text snippets were global or if I could memorize a report?

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Timeslips is the crankiest program ever. It isn't intuitive and it was taking me 3 days to edit time entries.

Alicia from Bellatrix PC

Best in Class for Small Firms

In addition to what I wrote above, Clio Management's customer service and technical support are​ great. They are still working out the kinks on the Clio Grow side after acquiring Lexicata (which I also used and was happy to see integrated). I am excited to see what improvements they have in connecting up the two systems.

Pros

I've been using Clio since 2010. I have tried other software over the years. I also originally had to use other software that integrated with Clio, but slowly have been able to reduce subscriptions as Clio built out features. Clio is the best in class, affordable, and the software around which I ultimately chose to build all my systems. I like that Clio allows me to manage the entire client file, including documents and emails, bills, and file shares, all within a single integrated system. Less software is cheaper, easier to manage, helps me capture details, and requires less employee training and management.

Cons

Clio still has some features and kinks to work out. Not everything is intuitive. Its plugin with Outlook is a little slow and I don't like that it strips the attachments from emails when placing them in the file. There still isn't enough flexibility in fee arrangements. It could improve the marketing side quite a bit. And I wish you could edit billing entries in bulk a little easier (especially if you made a mistake in one edit, it doesn't save and you lose ALL your edits -- super annoying). That said, all of these bugs and annoyances get addressed by Clio over time. They continually improve and grow the software. So I don't feel that there are any fatal flaws; just quirks that you learn to work around​.

Rosalinda from Law Offices of David L. Olson

Very easy to use

It makes part of my job easier. 1.Attorneys are much more comfortable going into Clio by themselves to enter their time or find information/reports instead of having to wait and rely on me to do it. 2.It's much easier and faster to quickly generate reports that split Time (by keeper) and Expenses. 3.Monthly billing goes by much smoother, invoices go out faster, payments are received much faster than if by mail. Attorney's are happier. : ) 4.Clients like to be able to receive email with link to process payments online.

Pros

Time entries can be imported by batch. Trust Requests and Bills can be emailed w/payment link directly from Clio. Past Due Bills can be "shared" with a coupled clicks versus printing out and mailing or using another app to email it.

Cons

1. When looking at a past due bill (and additional bills have been issued and remain unpaid for that same matter) the Outstanding Balance on the Statement of Account section will update and include the balance due for that matter as of the current date + any open Trust Replenishment requests instead of the balance due for that invoice + the balance due of all invoices issued previously to that one. 2. Evergreen Retainers - I keep getting calls from clients saying they can't view the "Shared" invoice when I have applied Trust funds that covered the whole balance. They can see the Trust Request to replenish funds used/applied to an invoice, but they can't see the actual invoice and review what was billed. I have to print the invoice to PDF and go to my email app and send from there. 3. I would like to see a report that shows that various billing rates per timekeeper for each client/matter.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

AdvantageLaw was not very user friendly for the attorneys. Problems with categorizing/recording Trust transactions. All report requests would be sent to me for generating. Constant need to rebuild data file.

Kimberly from Beasley Legal, P.C.

Fantastic product!

The experience has been great. The support team is very helpful and made getting set up a quick process, and they've helped solve several operator-error problems along the way. We don't yet use the full capability of what Clio can do, but it's nice to know we have room to grow our practice without outgrowing the software that helps us manage it.

Pros

Clio easily tracks time and expenses, keeps client and matter details organized, generates invoices, and gives us reports that help track our firm's growth. It is easy to learn, easy to use, easy to customize to our practice, and has very helpful and responsive customer service. Since it's cloud based, we can also work remotely as needed. Very glad to have Clio!

Cons

I like most everything about Clio except that it can be slow if our internet service is being slow (not Clio's fault, but it comes with being cloud-based). Every once in a while I find a glitch that frustrates me in creating invoices. Usually, though, chatting with customer support online leads to a) their showing me how to solve my problem, or b) the problem being sent to tech support for fixing in Clio's system.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio offered a better value for the service offered, a shorter spin-up time and a more approachable platform. I still learn more about it's capabilities every day, but was able to understand enough to start working within it after the first walk-through with the support team.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Our previous software is commonly used in accounting firms but didn't fit as well with the needs of our law firm. As we grew we found we needed different capabilities than that software offered.

Lucy from Lucy Dowd Law

Solo Attorney Highly Recommends Clio

Clio has made me much more organized and efficient. My billing process is easier and smoother and I keep better track of accounts receivable. Much easier to track the progress of a file and leads. It is easy to share documents and communications securely with clients

Pros

Clio software is comprehensive and covers everything that I need as a solo attorney to keep my practice running smoothly and efficiently. Clio Grow is a new feature that helps me track leads, lead sources, the intake process, etc. It is very comprehensive and is easily merged with Clio Manage. The Clio help desk is excellent. Answers are always spot on. If they cannot fix my problem, they will honestly tell me that Clio does not have the capability that I'm looking for and they will offer to submit a request for that capability to be considered in the future. Clio is always looking to address customer needs.

Cons

Does not have all of the capabilities that I need but has most of them. Sometimes the queue for the help desk/chat is rather long.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

I attended a conference for solo/small firms and Clio was highly recommended. I tried it out and it was much more robust and easier to use than AbacusLaw so I made the switch.

Nicole from The Law Office of Gerald F. Chefalo

Clio Review

Our overall experience with Clio has been fantastic!! The benefit of having all our information (contacts, notes, calendar, documents, etc.) in one program is huge for us as we often end up having to access this information outside of the office. The continued updates that Clio has made since we first began using it several years ago have all been excellent as well.

Pros

The software is easy to use and understand. The transition to Clio from our previous system was relatively seamless and the customer service is fantastic. I like that we can share documents with our clients and are able to see what date and time a client viewed each document. It is also extremely convenient to have our documents stored in Clio so that they can be viewed when we are not physically in the office.

Cons

It would be nice if you could integrate notes from a contact directly into a new matter as you are opening one. Currently, I have to copy and paste each note from the contact into the matter notes. Also, when I put in messages for Mr. Chefalo on people he needs to call back I make a task for him. When he views the tasks on his cell phone, it would be nice if he could simple tap on the phone number in the task and have it directly call the number as opposed to him having to type the number in on his cell phone to make the call. Finally, a client suggested that it would be nice if he had the option to opt in to receiving text messages from Clio any time we share a document with him or generate a bill on his matter.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

We did research several products before deciding on Clio. As I recall, Clio offered everything that we were looking for and at an excellent price.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Amicus was horrible to work with and extremely expensive.

Justin from Dituri Law Offices, P.C.

What I Like Most About Clio

Clio had a long learning curve. That said, any software that has wide capability will have a long learning curve. However, the support team has been very helpful. It does not work for me to try to read articles to learn how to use the system, I appreciate being able to get someone on the phone or on chat who can simply show me how to do what I want to do.

Pros

As a solo practicing attorney for almost a quarter century, tracking time, preparing and sending out bills has been my least favorite activity, and the place where I have lost revenue and had upset clients. My experience is that clients don't appreciate it when bills are sent timely or when they receive billing after six to twelve months of work - they really prefer regular billing. Clio has revolutionized the billing and collection part of my solo practice environment. Now that I have learned how to create clients and matters and to input time, it is a simple once a month task to create professional monthly client bills which I can print and snail mail, email, or send with the LawPay connection and the client can "click through" the email bill to pay with credit card.

Cons

I cannot figure out how to set up or use the form template function. When I have tried it does not really work and I have stopped trying to use this. I would very much like to create some form engagement letters. My work is mainly transaction, not so much litigation. At first it was difficult to figure out how to prepare a nice looking flat-fee for a project type bill. However, with the updates I have been able to customize bills to have both hourly fee bills and flat-fee bills.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio's presence in the legal business marketplace. That it was not a sales and marketing CRM that someone was trying to "shoe horn" into usefulness for lawyers, but was designed for use by lawyers in the business of managing a legal services business.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Prior to the advent of online CRM I used Goldmine as an installed CRM system. The cost of trying to keep up with updates was a challenge. I worked in a firm for a few years, and when I went back out on my own instead of purchasing a Goldmine upgrade it was time to move to an online, subscription, CRM. I was attracted to Clio because the company business model appears to be committed to supporting the legal business community. That commitment gives me a confidence that Clio will protect any of my online client data - hopefully they are thinking about what will happen to their business if all their customers have to go their clients to tell them about a data breach.

Michelle from Michelle K. Smith, Attorney at Law, PLLC

Review of Clio From Attorney Owner At Small Firm

I recommend Clio to solo and small firm attorneys. It has a lot of features that you may not use but it is nice to have the option. In spite of its many features, Clio is easy to use. My billing and collections went up when I switched to Clio because logging time and billing is very easy and the gmail feature makes sure I remember to bill for mass of emails I receive each day. My calendar, matter and contact information is available quickly wherever I am. Clio has improved my efficiency and made my work day easier.

Pros

Clio is very fast, even when I am accessing the full website on my ipad. I love the new add on for Gmail that allows me to bill directly to Clio from the email and even save the mail to Clio if I want. The program feels modern. The program is easy to use in spite of the many many features. I have three staff members, one under 30, one under 50 and one in her 70s. All three are able to easily use the program. I like the third party apps that work directly with Clio such as Dropbox, Invoice Sherpa , Gmail and Fastcase. Customer service is very responsive and Clio is constantly receiving significant upgrades.

Cons

Based on all of the options and information available in Clio I am still surprised by the minimal reporting capabilities in the practice management side of the program. The basics are there but in my opinion there are many helpful reports that are missing. Even if Clio does not want to add additional reports, making an option for the user to create custom reports would be a good alternative. Clio added an option to require and maintain an evergreen retainer. That is very helpful, however, you have to send a separate request to the client for the evergreen retainer to be replenished. It would be much more helpful if you had the option to include the evergreen retainer request on the client invoice. My clients get confused when they receive a billing invoice and then on the same day or some days later yet another invoice with a new request for retainer replenishment.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Continuous upgrades, many more features, easy to use, pleasing interface, strong and stable company.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Amicus online had some very good features but after it was purchased by Abacus there was a lack of timely product upgrades causing the look and feel of the product to quickly become outdated. The product ran very slow when trying to do billing. Customer service was also lacking once Abacus took over.

Response from Clio

Replied September 2019

Thank you for the review, Michelle! Glad to see the software is serving your team well. We've shared your feedback on reporting with the Product Team, which will be very helpful for future improvements. The team will reach out if they require further context.

Joseph from The Privacy Firm PC

Clio is an essential part of this law firm

Pros

Having direct access to the company, and the developers is a huge benefit to using Clio. If there's something that's not quite right, there's usually an easy fix or workaround, and you don't have to wait around for days or weeks to get a response from support. As far as the software itself, we love the nearly limitless integration ability of Clio, and the fact that they're always adding/improving features, like CourtRules, which is essential to our litigation practice.

Cons

We've been powered by Clio since 2011, and at the time, subscription software was a new concept, which took me a while to warm up to. Eight years later, however, everything requires a subscription, so this is a non-issue. I can only think of two things that I wish Clio would come up with a fix for: (1) ability to merge duplicate contacts; and (2) bring back the ability to have a less expensive subscriptions for non-attorney users.

Response from Clio

Replied September 2019

Thank you for the feedback, Joseph! We've shared your feedback with our Product Team. Though a one-click merge contact option isn't currently available, the steps listed here will help you achieve the same results (hope this helps!): https://support.clio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002325034-Is-There-a-Way-to-Merge-Contacts-

Tami from Matt Cohen and Associates LLC

Clio in our law firm

Our greatest benefit to date was when we added the payment links to our invoices and the speed we are now getting paid by clients. They love the online ability to pay for their bill and we love the speed it's processed in. The ease that the monthly billing process has become has also freed up a tremendous amount of time for staff.

Pros

The Clio platform was very easy to implement with our firm's daily usage. The onboarding process was smooth and the learning and transition for staff were easy. The software is meeting our firm's needs on a daily basis. I also appreciate that they listen to suggestions and continue to improve and add features throughout the year. Clio has allowed our monthly billing process to go from a day-long process to an hour process.

Cons

Some of the reporting features need to be fine-tuned or added to. My biggest pet peeve is the limit of 50 items to a page, so you update to 200 but it defaults back to 50 every time you move around between pages.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

We didn't want a super complicated, expensive, intense package like Time Matters. Bill4Time wasn't big enough or have enough features. Clio has been a perfect fit.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Looking for a more complete, robust software to help manage our law practice.

Response from Clio

Replied September 2019

Thank you for the feedback, Tami! We've submitted your reporting recommendation to the Product Team for review. They will be sure to reach out if they require further context.

Lovedip from Sandhu Injury Legal Services

Clio Review July 9, 2019

The speed of creating standard letters is not a feature that most other programs have. I research 3 other programs and used 1 legal software program for about a year. I have been able to save time and speed up common tasks with Clio. Also, in the past i have had to use multiple platforms to perform legal work. Now i only relay on Clio

Pros

compared to other software on the market, Clio is very user friendly I can access it from anywhere in the world customer service is quick with providing answers to questions

Cons

on the mobile app, the documents are difficult to access because if the name of the document is too long, you may not know which document it is.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

The other products were ancient and very difficult to use. No to mention cluttered dashboards.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Document management and creating precedent letters

Stephen from Quest Law PLLC

Fantastic Practice Management Solution

Pros

Clio's intuitive design is easy to use for anyone from the tech savy to the "how do I turn this thing on" person. They are constantly adding features and functionality to the software solution making the administrative side of practicing law much easier and less time consuming. Clio's support team is always quick to respond and is always friendly and helpful. The growing list of integrations is definite plus and gives us the ability to extend the already great functionality to the next level. And if you are into coding, you can always create a custom integration to suit your needs.

Cons

Really the only complaint I have about Clio is the reporting capabilities. While it has some great canned reports within the interface, there is no ability to customize reports to massage out information that would be useful to my practice. We make do, of course, but this has been my complaint for some time now. Last time I checked there was a pay integration that allowed for more robust reporting but adding yet another subscription isn't appealing when it would be relatively easy for Clio to add this capability to their platform.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Houdini was no longer meeting the needs of my practice, I was growing and found the interface to be difficult for anyone to use but me. Clio checked all the boxes and seemed to be well supported. Turns out the choice was the right one.

Marie from Rain & Zepp, PLC

Clio Review

My overall experience has been positive. There are plenty of resources for day to day activities and for more complex matters the live support has been indispensable. I find it easy to navigate and learn.

Pros

Initially it was a better system overall than the systems we were trying to make fit our needs (Timeslips and Sharepoint). Subsequently, the updates that are implemented by the development team when there is an obvious need or lack identified.

Cons

I did not like that the billing of outstanding balances was not automated during billing runs to capture all outstanding balances so anyone who does not have a current bill still gets a bill when I do not enter a start time as a filter option. I also do not like that I have to clean up so much on the Quickbooks Online end of a Retainer transfer, especially after a billing run when its many clients at once, it creates a lot of work in the Retainer in Trust register in QBO.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Price difference I believe, but I honestly don't remember if there were other reasons as well.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

In Timesplips we were having trouble with transfers and keeping track of the data that was not integrating into Quickbooks Desktop smoothly. We also wanted to switch to QBO but they do not integrate. There were system failures that created "broken AR's". The customer service was never immediate, I've spent many hours on hold or on the phone with someone who did not seem to care. It seemed like there was always something that would come up and the customer support was so bad that I would rather try to fix the problem myself or ignore the problem(unless it was timely) until I couldn't anymore. We only started using Sharepoint because Timeslips did not have an office management aspect of the software and it was not economical nor easy to set up, we ended up spending more money on a Sharepoint technician than a year subscription to Clio.

Stephen from Cortes Law Firm

Changed my practice

Pros

Clio has been a game changer for my practice. Before I would write my time on a sheet of paper (sometimes any paper within reach) and hope it got entered at some point before the end of the month. Now, I immediately enter my time either on my computer or iPhone. A phone call, client conversations, anytime I work on a file it immediately gets entered into Clio. At the end of the month, Billing is a breeze. I am able to see all of my Billable Clients for the month and with a few clicks, they are all sent out by either email or Clio Connect. My clients can pay with their credit cards, and many times they have paid overnight before I even get to the office the next day. I remember when I first switched to Clio about 80% of my accounts receivable paid within the first week. My clients also like the billing detail with separate time, attorneys, and expenses. I have been able to create custom invoices to comply with some of my government contracts, which require invoices to look a certain way. We are also big fans on the integration with Office365. The software automatically creates a client folder on OneDrive when a new matter is opened. This has been a huge help in keeping everyone working on the same files and storing documents in the correct client folder. Also, the Outlook plugin has been great to keep all emails received and sent copied to the client's matter. I do not know how many times I have easily found an email related to a client matter.

Cons

I wish there was better integration with Infusionsoft (now Keap). There is a way to connect using third parties, but it would be nice to only enter client information once.

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Freshbooks did not have the ability to take Trust payments with a credit card.

Gary from Hill Law Firm PLC

Clio Is The Best

I have not had a single issue with Clio. I have used it now for three years. My bills look sharp and the time/activity record keeping is flawless, which helps when I have to push to get paid. The trust accounting is redundant and airtight. I am looking forward to developing my practice and I know that Clio is expanding its range of functions at a rate faster than any of my needs. Clio is leading the industry in coordinating with third party vendors (Lawpay, Outlook etc) to make Clio even more functional and efficient.

Pros

There is much to like about Clio. Their customer support is first rate and comprehensive. For example, learning to manage trust accounting and the creation of regular client invoices are critical and time sensitive activities. During my first year with Clio, I would call customer service at the end of each month as I encountered small mistakes I made in billing or accounting. Clio was always there willing to patiently walk me through my steps to help me fix my errors. The billing and accounting features are redundant and it is almost impossible to make a mistake that cannot be fixed. Time entry is simple and efficient.

Cons

I love the ease of use with respect to creating bills and managing trust accounting. On a different level, I have confidence that Clio is on the cutting edge of technology and software developments. As is evidenced by their annual conference, Clio is a leader in the industry. My investment in time learning this platform will continue to pay dividends as I mature as a solo practitioner. I am a veteran litigator but I recently opened my own practice. Clio has been the one indispensable tool to my new practice.

Candace from Werth Law LLC

I have been so impressed with Clio. There is so much it can do and the customer service is amazing.

There are too many to mention. I was only looking for conflict management software and didn't know if I needed a case management software because I am a solo attorney that is just starting out. It turns out that Clio does so much more. The timer feature lets you track work on different matters and easily switch to a different matter when a phone rings or interruption happens. You don't lost time. The billing is clean, neat and easy. After that you can move on to so many other options -- document automation, cloud storage, phone logs, email logs, quick and easy email drop. I have been here less than a year and I wouldn't switch. I am so pleased with Clio and how it makes the business end of practicing so much easier.

Pros

What is best? There is so much. The Dashboard (to see instantly how the I am doing, and for each client so I can see how much time and billing has occurred on each matter and easily find the information I need); Time keeping, invoicing, secured email, email drop (to easily put emails into client matters in Clio and free up inbox space, ) and DOCUMENT TEMPLATES with Custom Fields -- I have automated my engagement letter, a basic client letter, will forms, POAs, etc. It saves so much time. To write a letter and not have to look up an address or block/copy it is so nice. You generate the document and edit to start typing the body right away. It requires work on the front end but in the end it is worth it. Also, the customer service being one click on a chat icon away is great. They are so friendly and talked me through invoicing each month for the first few months.

Cons

The customer service and training videos are great but sometimes it feels like an Easter egg hunt to find out what all it can do. I spent the first 8 months just keeping time and doing invoicing. I knew it did other things but wasn't sure what and how. Once I started digging around I have been amazed at what all I have found. It has saved so much time and made things for a solo attorney so much easier. I am sold.

David from David Myers Law

Industry: Law Practice

Best all-in-one solution out there

It's a major time saver. It's great for billing, keeping tabs of your time, costs associated with a file, trust money for each file, docketing, contact lists, and all the rest. It feels a bit short/incomplete in some areas, but they keep improving it so hopefully that will happen soon. It's still the best damn law practice software out there, and I've searched high and low!

Pros

- Easy to use and learn - Easy to show others to use - Really easy billing features - Great organization - The Notes feature is fantastic and replaces any need for docketing and memos to file - The "add time" feature makes it easy to keep track of billings and what's to go on the next invoice - The linking of contacts to files is a time saver - The Calendar is easy to use and does what you need it to - The accounting that exists is great for keeping track of the movement of money directly connected with a file. It has helped keep my trust accounting immaculate. IT also helps me keep track of expenses associated with each file.

Cons

Clio is fantastic and the best solution I've been able to find, and I've done a lot of searching both before and after buying Clio. That said, Clio seems half finished in some areas and I'm hoping more work will come. - The accounting is adequate, but should go a lot further than it does. I would love an integrated cheque writing program, for example. - I don't know why you can't have more than one client per file. It's a small thing, but it bugs me. I put additional clients in the "contact" list associated with the file, and just pick one as a primary client to list. It doesn't matter, but again, it's a weird oversight. - The firm metrics is a great idea, but it seems half finished. I don't know why, but it doesn't save stuff year to year and just dumps the information. There's also a dramatic lack of ability to customize things. This is frequent in some of Clio's features, such as how to list matters or client names. It's not a deal breaker, but it's a weird thing to not make more usable. Overall, Clio is a fantastic program and I don't know how I'd run my practice without it. It's a lot better than everything else I've tried. I just wish the damn thing integrated with more programs and capabilities, and that they just expanded on it. I think the reason why it's frustrating is because it's so close to being sort of perfect, and they just don't go far enough. Hopefully they'll keep adding to it and raise it to that level! It's definitely worth the buy.

Jared from Law Offices of Stephen C. Brown & Associates

Customer service makes all the difference.

All the information you need at your fingertips, anywhere in the world. Hassle-free and comprehensive customer service.

Pros

Packed with features. There is just so much that can be done with this software that a firm might not have thought to do with some of the older software platforms. Everything is secure and designed from a legal professional's viewpoint. Every person in our firm can handle a case from start to finish without leaving the Clio platform -- anywhere, anytime. Also, the customer service should not be overlooked. When we were researching various platforms to take over for Time Matters (Practice Panther, Rocket Matter, MyCase, etc.) Clio was the only company that had a knowledgable onboarding professional at the ready. They were incredibly flexible with letting us extend our demo phase and spent many hours running through different functions with us. They even held a full-scale training session with our entire staff BEFORE we had signed up. Even after we purchased Clio, they continued to hold our hand through the entire implementation process. That sort of service made our transition into the cloud seamless and allowed us to really take advantage of cost-savings that we were aiming for.

Cons

The only issue that we've had so far is personalizing the goals on the dashboard page. It would be nice to have a more granular and specific revenue analysis for each attorney. Granted, we are still implementing other more important features firm-wide, so this hasn't been the highest priority, and it's more of a luxury anyway.

Owen from The Law Offices of Owen Hathaway

Industry: Law Practice

Fantastic value, modern software, steadily improving features

I've been using Clio since 2011 to help me run my solo practice. I use it primarily for calendaring , time tracking, and billing. Those features are fantastic. Almost all of my billable time is calendared, and Clio lets me add time right to those events and assign it to a matter right from the calendar. I cut my administrative time to bill clients by 40% the first time I used Clio, and it's now down roughly 90%. I love that Clio lets me use third-party software with it rather than forcing users to rely on less convenient built-in solutions. For instance, Clio creates a folder for each client and matter for me in Box.com where I can work on my clients' documents using the rich feature set of Box. Clio Documents is okay for sharing with Clients, but there's no way they could replicate Box. There are two things I really wish Clio would improve. First is the ability to natively support joint representation. I do some consumer bankruptcy work, and many of my cases are joint petitions. The Clio solution is to add one of the joint parties as a 'related party'. Strictly speaking, this is not a related party, but my actual client. I can note the relationship type, so it works okay for conflict checks, but I'd rather the software reflect the real legal relationship. The other has to do with transaction tracking and integration with bookkeeping software. Maybe I just need to learn how to do this better, but I end up doing double work in Clio and Quickbooks for expenses and trust accounting. Bills and payments integrate, but the details, which are important for accounting disclosures, are manual in Clio. All in all, Clio continues to be the best option for me. I'm very mobile, so a SaaS/Cloud solution is absolutely required. The features were very basic when I started using it, but the folks at Clio are constantly releasing new functionality, improving existing functionality, and integrating new useful apps. Oh yeah, I'm a bit of a tech geek, so having access to an open API is extremely tempting to me. I've done one integration with Zapier, and I have some ideas for other things I might do directly with the API. Highly recommended.

Pros

SaaS platform, integrations with useful software like Box.com and NextChapter (bankruptcy service), comprehensive workflow features

Cons

Detailed expense accounting is cumbersome, joint representation is not natively supported

Jonathan from Nazette, Marner, Nathanson & Shea, LLP

Really great!

My firm has been using Clio for just under 4 years. I have watched Clio grow a great deal in that amount of time. I am very pleased that Clio has regularly updated its service and added new features. Although the changeover was a challenge (what software migration isn't?), everyone in my firm now uses Clio quite happily. Of course, there are always things that I would like to see improved, but I have no major gripes. Reporting options could be more robust. It would be nice to see some sort of feature that would help to avoid duplication of contacts (a common problem for us). It is also disappointing that Clio chose to tier its services such that we no longer have access to all of the features. We would have to pay more to get access to all of the features, which we have deemed not worth the investment at this time. I can't say enough good things about their customer support. They have always been quick to answer and are ready to help us with any problems we have had. Fortunately, once we got everything converted over, the issues or questions we have had since then have been few and far between. In my opinion, Clio should be on everyone's short list for a web-based practice management system!

Pros

The features that are offered by Clio are second to none. The system is easy to use. The interface is nicely designed. They offer mobile applications, which I use frequently. Can handle firms of any size.

Cons

I would like to see Clio offer more reporting options. Clio doesn't have an attorney-centric view. It would be nice to have Clio "lock in" on the fact that I always want to see reports, bills, etc. for only my matters. I don't ever need to see matters, reports, bills, etc. that don't belong to me.

June 2016

Amber from BDM Law LLP

June 2016

Simple, flexible and user-friendly

Right from the outset I have found the support at Clio to be fantastically helpful. It's a big decision working out which product is right for your particular business. Clio, as you expect from most companies in the beginning, were great at informing us what Clio could do and answering our initial questions. However, what I am really impressed about it the continued support from Clio. It does not matter who you speak to, they are friendly, knowledgeable and will do all they can to help you. And if they don't know, which is rare, they will find out and get back to you. And they do get back to you! Plus every phone call is followed up with an email. With regard to the product itself, it is pretty easy to use. Most things are quite logical and therefore you can work it out fairly simply. I am of the view that no product is perfect as every business will have different requirements. In the case of Clio, there are a few very minor things we would like to see available. Clio are continuously developing and improving the product and, I think, everything we have enquired about that is not already a function of Clio, is in the pipeline. However, it is still great for us as it is but we always strive for perfection!

Pros

I love the simplicity and flexibility of Clio. It is very user friendly and the way it looks is very neat. It does not take long to work out exactly what you are looking at and what it all means. For me personally, I do a lot of billing and compared with a previous software package, Clio has saved me a lot of time and it's really easy to keep track of where you are as it automatically incorporates a workflow. Also, setting up new cases is easy and flexible. You are easily able to incorporate your own requirements and information.

Cons

This is quite specific but for us, the biggest drawback is not being able to present the invoice in exactly the way we want (i.e. a front cover summary of figures without the time description wording). There is a lot of flexibility on the invoices which is great but the one thing we can't do is take the wording away from the first page. Our company like to keep the first page of the invoice very simple and clear and then have the narrative on the following pages. We understand, however, that this is being developed by Clio and should be rolled out some time in the next couple of months or so.

James from James Noll Law

Clio is my Law Practice

I think creating tasks has also been beneficial to me. I know that these tasks need to get done to get the client retired. Step one. Step two. Step 3. Step four. Step 5. Yes there is uncertainty and some steps will take on a life of their own. But by breaking down the problem into deadlines and steps I create a road map for myself and my team to the the job done. I think clients also understand and like this approach as well.

Pros

I was one year into my solo practice in 2014 when I had CLIO recommended to me. I was just getting started. Creating new contacts and matters. Tracking time. Uploading documents. Sharing. Secure messaging. Calendaring events; and looking ahead at the blocks of time I've reserved for myself.

Cons

I would like to see an integration with LegalMatch.com sometime in the future. I imagine it will happen at some point.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

It seemed like at the time CLIO was the new product on the block. The leadership group was committed to improving their product to grow with lawyers who were savvy using technology. That hasn't changed.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,152 reviews