• Pros

• "Easy to use and very accessible. A lot of features that other LMS do not have. "

• "I love the versatility and the customizations that are available to everyone for free."

• "The gradebook is super useful and rather user friendly. "

• Cons

• "The price for the enterprise version is pricey, but the free version still packs a punch. "

• "Sometimes it goes down so that would be the only issue that I see with it. Other then that it is a great program. "

• "The program has a free side and a paid site. The free side does offer a lot of information, but could offer more."

Browse Schoology Reviews

Andrew from Madison Elementary School

Integrated Learning Management System

Overall Schoology is going to allow for better implementation of curriculum as an online and hybrid option during this COVID19 pandemic.

Pros

Schoology integrates seemlessly into our district as we already use Powerschool so it will make it an easy transition for teachers into online learning.

Cons

The interface and mobile app could use a interface update to make it a little more friendly and easy to navigate.

Reasons for Choosing Schoology

Overall we ended up going with Schoology because of the Powerschool integration. When schools shut down it was a hard transition for many teachers, so we are hoping the familiarity with other products will make the use easier going forward.

Schoology - Powerful, but User Friendly LMS

Schoology has been a game changer for us. As a district that previously used an open source alternative, we really took a risk by rolling out a new product that was not free. Teachers have really embraced the platform, which is allowing us to move toward a model where learning is individualized and focused on the needs of the learner.

Pros

Schoology feels like a social media platform. It's easy to use and makes sense when you're using it. It has a tremendous ability to be extended with integrations with Google, Microsoft, etc. and connects well with other learning platforms that are important in K-12 settings.

Cons

At the enterprise level, sometimes support the can be lackluster when dealing with things such as the synchronization between Schoology and PowerSchool. On the positive side, we anticipate with PowerSchool's purchase of Schoology that this might improve over time.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

We needed more robust features, including a better mobile experience, and the ability to collaborate with other professionals around the country.

Angela from Fort Smith Schools Arkansas

Versatile Learning Management System

Overall, the application has made it beneficial in that all educational needs are in one place; assessments, assignments, grades, messaging

Pros

This software had been instrumental in making learning available both in the classroom and at-home learning for students that are out for any reason.

Cons

It is time consuming to post Google Applications in all of the classes. You can post the assignment but you have to go into each class and attach the document.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

It was a district decision. From my understanding it was to give the ability to have both online learning and off-site learning available concurrently.

Courtney from Self-Employed

Terrible app even worse customer service

Terrible app with even worse customer service

Pros

It was easy to manage my son's schooling.

Cons

It's clunky you have to go in and out to see different grades instead of being under one easy tab. Don't even think of forgetting your password. There is no reset function available and when you ask for help you get a super snarky email. I will copy and paste Hi Cmac0521, We are no longer accepting ticket submissions from Basic users. Helpdesk ticketing support is a feature of our Enterprise subscription. You can see what’s included in Enterprise here. To support our millions of free (Basic) users, we have invested in providing you easy access to better support resources, like the newly launched Schoology Guide Center. We also recommend visiting the Schoology Help Center where you can access a wealth of information about Schoology as well as engage with our member Community. Not sure if you’re a ‘Basic’ account holder? Instructors: if you see the word “Upgrade” in the upper left corner of your Schoology account of your account - that means you’re Basic! Parents and Students: check with your instructor! Sincerely, Schoology Support Basically "you didn't pay we don't want to help you, go annoy the school. You're Basic LOL" - Schoology "customer service"

Matthew from Matthew Chu, RMT

Clutch for shifting to online learning

Overall, Schoology was a lifesaver. We experimented with different products but really enjoyed the controls we had as instructors. In a time when the pandemic hit, we were struggling to find the application that worked best for us and this ended up being the perfect fit. It was a huge bonus that it came free and that we were able to find a testing software to continue our online education. Kudos!

Pros

The features that made choosing Schoology the most impactful was that it was free, had many controls as a course instructor and created safeguards for academic integrity. It had more controls to avoid cheating, created amazing supports for test writing (test bank, fill-in-the-blank, mix-and-match, time allotment, weighting etc.). It was very user friendly in that it created items that we used in in-person teaching and made life so much easier!

Cons

My co-teacher and I had a hard time figuring out how to prevent students from receiving their grades right after submitting their exams. I'm sure it was a matter of deep diving more, but in our scenario of first-time users, the students received their final grades after their final exam rather than giving us a few minutes to explore the stats and realize if we needed to drop questions or not.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

Liked the controls and options that Schoology offered more.

Robert from Durham Public Schools

Effective LMS for Online Instruction

I have used Schoology in my classroom for the past four school years. Prior to that, I had tried Moodle, Blackboard and Edmodo for use with my students. Schoology has been the most intuitive to understand and set up. It helps students easily find resources and allows me to integrate numerous online tools, meeting all of my needs as a classroom teacher. This year, our district has moved to requiring us to use Canvas, which really put just how easy and functional Schoology is into perspective for me.

Pros

Schoology is very intuitive for teachers, students and parents providing an easy to use learning management system for all.

Cons

Using the free, non-enterprise, version doesn't provide teachers with student access analytics.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

The state was no longer providing teachers with access to Moodle.

Jennie from Tullahoma High School

Schoology Junkie

Pros

I absolutely love the gradebook and it is so east to use. Grading the project and watching it automatically upload to the gradebook saves sooo much time.

Cons

I hate the uploading feature. It makes you jump through too many screens to upload a document. On the teacher side I do not like the missed assignments tally. When you click on a resubmitted assignment for example it never takes you straight to what was resubmitted. It will take you to the overall assignment and then I have to guess which student resubmitted it.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

District made us switch because it syncs with Skyward database we use for attendance.

Love this LMS!

This is a great product, and is super easy to use for almost anyone, it is lacking in some features but overall great product.

Pros

This is the best possible LMS that I have found out there-has several features. Organized folders, quiz giving ability and integration with ExamView, discussions, and district wide setup ability.

Cons

It is very spendy if you want to implement it into your school-hard to justify when Google Classroom is free. I wish the integration with google was more seemless, and the lockdown browser option was free for quizzes/tests.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

Organization and ease of use for me and my staff.

Tara from San Angelo ISD

Virtual Learning Experts

Schoology was chosen as our program for virtual learning from home during the COVID pandemic. As a teacher, I was overwhelmed at first, but caught on quickly. Now, I use Schoology to upload lessons, create tests and quizzes, and even upload YouTube read-alouds for student viewing. It has been a vital resource to allow me to connect with my students.

Pros

Schoology seems overwhelming at first, but is pretty easy to catch on to once you start to upload material. There are plenty of user guides and how-to tips available on their website to help out as well. Schoology allows me to teach lessons virtually to my students during the pandemic.

Cons

It is a little more complicated to upload some things such as google forms to the site.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

Our school chose Schoology as our official virtual learning platform this year.

Philip from Fieldcrest CUSD #6

A Full Service LMS Offers So Many More Options

We've been using for four years and they keep making it better! All of my course content is in Schoology and since I teach using the flipped classroom model, the switch to fully online learning in the spring was pretty much seamless for all my students with home internet access. I am also a Schoology Ambassador.

Pros

Our district uses Schoology as a district-wide Learning Management System (LMS). We switched to Schoology last year and I use Schoology for almost all of my course work. I teach using the flipped classroom model and Schoology's platform allows me to share my lecture videos, conduct assessments of student knowledge and understanding, give assignments, and to provide communication with students and parents. All of my content is available to my students through Schoology 24/7, I can make it available in a variety of ways, and I can make updates in real-time. Schoology's introduction of the Google Assignment App has me excited about our switch to Chromebooks. This app allows you to attach a Google Doc (say a study guide) as part of an assignment. When students open the assignment the document is copied, renamed, and added to their Google Drive. No more students opening or copying a new version of the document each time they go back to the assignment instead of to the copy they made but didn't actually rename as the directions stated. The document is 'tied' to the assignment and updates no matter where they work on it from (inside the assignment or through their Google Drive.) I also use the platform’s completion rules to give students autonomy while also keeping them on track. Another great option is the ability to add images to pages, updates, announcements, and folders to give visual information, help guide students, and give them access options. I also am able to hyperlink

Cons

While they've done a great job updating the product, however, I wish the pace of that was faster. For example, they introduced a new "Assessments" feature that was to eventually replace the "Test/Quiz" feature once it had all of the same options. While the question types in Assessments are nicer, it is two years later and it is still missing features of Test/Quiz including the ability to comment on individual student questions, auto-correction and rescoring if you made a mistake in setting up the correct answer in a question, and importantly, they still have not added a question test bank option for Assessments. Without the option to randomly pull questions from question banks I still use Test/Quiz for later end of unit assessments and semester exams.

Reasons for Choosing Schoology

Canvas was too expensive and Hapara was essentially just a dashboard for Google Classroom at the time. Schoology had all of the features of Canvas for less (now it has more features) and having come from another LMS, we didn't was to use Google Classroom as it is not nearly robust enough.

My Big Campus stopped.

Best LMS hands down!

I've built many project-based and blended learning courses within the Schoology LMS that have allowed me to revolutionize the traditional classroom. We saw huge increases in student accountability and achievement, and tracking student progress has never been so easy. We also use Schoology to take asynchronous remote attendance with just a few clicks of a button. I am extremely proud of what my school has been able to accomplish with this platform. The feedback and ideas I get from both students and teachers continues to inspire me to take learning to the next level using Schoology. Our new virtual classroom is more fun, interactive, and engaging than ever before!

Pros

Schoology is packed with features that let educators customize their courses and content to meet the specific learning needs of various populations of students. The user interface is fresh, simple, and easy to navigate. Many popular external applications are already integrated and available to use within the Schoology platform and sync effortlessly with the gradebook. For me personally, I really appreciate the way I can build customized, authentic, and engaging assessments from their wide assortment of question types. Schoology also has a badge rewards system where teachers can reward students for accomplishing certain tasks. Schoology simply is super customizable with a ton of features that other LMS don't offer.

Cons

As a user of many learning management systems over the past decade, there is no area where I feel Schoology is lacking in. It is the best for what it does.

Brian from Colorado State University Global Campus

Engagement Promotes Student Retention

While Facebook has had some bad press regarding privacy here lately, the overall impact and popularity of social media in general and Facebook in particular is undeniable and has become a permanent part of online culture. Why? Because Facebook is, by design, set up in such a manner that it is both extraordinarily easy to use and navigate around, and because it has a well-documented tendency to "suck you in" - it keeps you engaged with the platform. It's easy. It's interesting. It's fun. It's entertainment. So what does that have to do with Schoology, you ask? Immediately after registering for my Schoology account provided by my grad school (MBA student), I was very surprised to see what looked and felt just like Facebook, but with an academic focus. The main feature is the user's feed, which looked and felt exactly like any social media feed. It contained posts from the school admin and financial aid, posts from instructors with information, videos, etc., pertinent to the current material, and posts from fellow classmates asking questions so classmates and the instructor could all interact on the thread. Users are able to "Like" a post or even direct message others in a private, Messenger-style chat feature. Surrounding the feed are links to everything the student needs for college success, from financial aid to wellness. Simply put, Schoology's brilliant adaptation of a popular technology makes studying easy, interesting, fun, and entertaining.

Pros

Schoology is academia's answer for engaging with today's social media obsessed generation of students.

Cons

I can virtually ALWAYS come up with something that I didn't like, Schoology however is one of those few exceptions. For the sake of entering a "con" however, I will say the one lacking feature I did wish users had would be an option to switch from the blaring white to a dark mode type theme. Helpful for battery life when using mobile devices and also more conducive for night-time study and eye health. After all, many students are working while studying, leaving night time as their only option to get their classwork done.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

Schoology fundamentally changes the study environment and creates inducement for student engagement, a critical component of higher education, leading to greater levels of student retention and higher graduation rates. Attempts have been made in other platforms to mitigate the fact that online studies removes this Interaction from the academic experience, but Schoology has found a way to not just mitigate, but actually enhance communication and class interaction, resulting in a net positive academic experience for all students, even the introverted ones.

Nick from Ramapo Indian Hills High School District

Number 1 LMS on the Market

Overall, I can't imagine my experience both teaching using Schoology and leading professional development for teachers without Schoology. It has afforded me an opportunity to totally revamp my district's PD to something more teacher centered, self paced, and differentiated, by putting together an online database of modules tailored to our specific district needs.

Pros

This is hands-down my go-to LMS for education. Having used a variety of LMS programs out there, and having come from some such as Google Classroom, and 3DGameLab, Schoology is top notch. Constantly being updated, Schoology helps transition the focus from the teacher to the student. The best features are Schoology's ability to integrate with other tools, as teachers can embed edtech tools such as Padlet, Polleverywhere, Thinglink, etc into a Schoology assignment using their LTI integration. As they continue to partner with other edtech companies, some of these then become options within their platform. I have used their integrated Conferences, Lock Down Browser, and more. The ability to transition ownership to the students, monitor their work while letting them work at their own pace is truly remarkable and a game-changer in education.

Cons

There are some things I wish were available such as the ability to share an entire folder of contents with an individual student, or to set separate completion rules/dates for assignments within a folder. Not sure why these aren't options. I also think a way to automatically award badges upon completion would really help teachers cut down on time awarding them.

Gilda from The Classical Academies

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Schoology - like a Swiss army knife for educators!

I have used Schoology as a teacher with students and as a professional development platform with other teachers. I love all the options I have for sharing content of all types and engaging students in many ways. I constantly find new features to try out with my students. In addition, I am one of the system admins for our school district. I have used both the Basic (free) version and the Enterprise version. Schoology Support is always helpful, and while they cannot always meet my needs right away, they are always working on site improvements and new features.

Pros

•Ease of use - Most teachers, students, and parents learn to navigate the LMS pretty easily. •Many levels of use - Teachers can begin using the LMS at a simple, basic level with great success, and then progress to use more advanced features that enrich the educational experience of their students. I love incorporating online discussions and media albums in my classes. •Anywhere, anytime - Teachers can set up their daily classes in Schoology, embedding images, media, discussions, quizzes, and more. This lends itself to all types of teaching experiences from whole class to small group to individual assignments. Assignments can actually be assigned to small groups or individual students, and these will not populate the Schoology feeds of other students. The Schoology course can be used to facilitate the classroom experience, but also allows student access to classroom content 24/7. •Great integration with G Suite - Schoology plays very well with all things Google. I love the Google Drive Assignments app, which organizes my students’ assignments so beautifully.

Cons

•Cannot create recurring calendar events. •Badges are only visible on Profile Page. I wish they were more visible on all pages, like they are in Khan Academy. Badges are also not visible on the iOS platform. •I wish assignments had both “assigned on” dates, as well as “due dates.”

Crystal from Educational Service Unit #10

BEST LMS experience for teachers, students, admin and community!

Moodle. Blackboard. Edmodo. Google Classroom. Each year of teaching seemed to bring with it another piecemeal LMS until we found Schoology! Schoology allows our teachers, students, admin and community to stay informed and connected. As a teacher, Schoology was easy to figure out due to its intuitive platform. I love the various features and app integrations that allow students to do much of their online learning within the platform avoiding third party site visits and lots of extra clicking. As an Enterprise user, I also appreciate the SIS integration with PowerSchool that automatically transfers student grades from Schoology. The group feature allows me to easily send updates about One-Act and Speech practice schedules or leave time reminders that can be routed to students' phones, and the groups also provide excellent PLNs for various topics. Admins have begun harnessing the power of online professional development modules via Schoology as well. Students enjoy the calendar view, which we have taught them to use like a planner and appreciate the quick feedback from assessments. Parents enjoy more transparency about what is going on at school and the media albums work great for capturing all of the awesome learning that needs to be recognized and celebrated. As a BlendEd Learning leader, Schoology is integral to day to day planning and organization. I also appreciate that Schoology is very responsive to user issues and requests. Their Client Success team is there to answer questions and trouble shoot when you need them, and the product developers are always taking suggestions and creating new features to make the platform more user friendly for teachers and students. Unlike previous platforms, Schoology is my one-stop shop that is here to stay! After four years of use, I couldn't imagine teaching without it!

Pros

-Ease of use -Groups provide online PLNs -Supportive client services -Excellent BlendEd Platform -Can align with CC or state standards -Allows for competency-based grading (Mastery via Enterprise) -Parent log in options (one log in for all of their kids) -App works well on Mac and Android devices

Cons

-Can't create reoccurring events or assignments (yet) -PowerSchool Pro and Schoology integration in beta only (Enterprise)

David from Fairbanks Local Schools

Schoology for Classes and Professional Development

In my 7 years as a teacher, I was always looking for the latest and greatest tools. The one thing that never changed, was Schoology. They are constantly improving their product and updating to make it better. I used all the free features of Schoology with my students. We took all of our assessments via their platform. They submitted assignments, essays, and projects via the other software. I was able to easily attach rubrics to the work that students were creating. My favorite piece was the discussions. It allowed me to elicit responses from all students, not just the ones who were willing to raise their hands. I would often use the online discussions to facilitate a face to face discussion in class the next day. I was able to use the responses from the online portion to direct and call out specific responses that could further our in class discussion. Schoology is an all around great tool, if you are looking for an LMS, it would be a mistake not to consider Schoology. In my current role, I provide more professional development support. I am working with teachers on their implementation of Schoology and other tools. Schoology allows me a way to deliver online courses to teachers and support them in their growth. It is a great experience for our teachers to use Schoology as a student, this gives them the perspective they need when it is time to work with their students. It also affords us the opportunity to show them some best practices of using an LMS. Schoology is a winner in every way, I wouldn't be where I am today without Schoology, and our teachers wouldn't be making the gains they are without the support of Schoology.

Pros

There is an instant comfort to using Schoology for students and teachers. Most things are very easy to find and within a couple uses, teachers begin to develop confidence with the program. As a teacher, I was easily able to teach myself (with some online guidance) how to accomplish what I needed. The range of options available for free is outstanding and the paid version just adds the icing to the cake!

Cons

There are times where it seems like I have to click a lot of buttons to execute something. There are some quirks (as there are with many programs) that don't seem 100% logical to me. With that said, Schoology is always willing to listen, things may not be fixed immediately but it is nice to know they are aware.

November 2015

William from Lancaster Bible College

November 2015

Communicate, Question, Appreciate

Pros

As a vendor, Schoology is top notch. I feel like the crew there is an extension of my immediate work group. Everyone at Support, our Account Manager, and especially their PD team are friendly and professional. I follow many of them on Twitter and we share ideas and thoughts on the product. I'm thankful for their responsiveness and their authenticity about not being able to do everything at all times, but to hear all concerns and appropriately triage them for the product's future. The product is very clean and straightforward. I am a system administrator for our institution, so I am always poking around in the nitty gritty. I may be the sole user at our institution that uses as many aspects of Schoology as I do. From course level settings, to groups, to system wide, I am all over the product and I heartily give my approval. I can navigate through the product with ease and can easily lead others in doing the same. I support our faculty and students on using the product, so it's great to know when I point them to a feature that it will always look and operate the same. I might say that is the BEST part of the product: the uniformity. We previously used Moodle, and our setup was not uniform. Thankfully, Schoology is.

Cons

The product is young and still catered towards the K12 environment. The language, the features, and the community of users are primarily K12. While that's not a big deal, it can often make community events or new features irrelevant to the higher ed environment. The only other downside is that there are not many settings for students with special needs. It is often clunky to create workarounds to accommodate students who need more time in quizzes or struggle to access media content.

David from CR School District

Schoology is a great way to engage students!

Overall Schoology was a great way to engage students and assess their learning in a more interactive and interesting way. The student's seemed to like it better than using just books so it was more engaging for them.

Pros

Before I transitioned out of teaching, I used Schoology quite a bit as a teacher. Schoology made it easy and convenient to engage students in the classroom. You could post informational resources for them such as notes and websites, or create more interactive lessons with embedded youTube or other videos and they can be set up so students can do scavenger hunt type things on the computer. They also can be used for assessments to see if students learned the material they were supposed to, as an exit ticket, or a way to review information at home. These assessments could then be loaded directly into e-school for student grades.

Cons

One thing I found difficult was sometimes setting up answers to questions especially if I wanted a more free response type of question, although they do offer ways to grade on a rubric as well. Sadly in the day and age of inflating grades there was also no way to grade on a curve, which meant that even though grades could be directly loaded into e-school, administrators desired you to then have to go back into e-school to inflate student grades. All in all they seemed to be keen to adding new features that made things easier for teachers. They also had two different kinds of assessments, one of which I found not nearly as friendly as the other to use.

Kelsey from Klein ISD

Soar with Schoology

Schoology is by far the best educational tool for students, even in Elementary School. The program is so easy to use, one-stop-shop for teachers to house all their materials, and a great way to keep parents informed and aware of their student's academics! I have used Schoology for 2 years and I have led the drive for this tool for elementary classrooms in my district. Schoology has changed the way I teach and how I personalize learning for my students! So easy for students to understand as well! I am extremely happy with Schoology and I would reccommend Schoology to be used in all districts across the world!

Pros

- Syncs straight to your Google Drive. - Nearpod and EdPuzzle syncs right into Schoology courses. - Syncs with District Gradebook for easy grading. - Individualized folders and assignments is great for personalizing learning. - Student completion tool to keep student's accountable for their work. - Allows for embedding teacher videos so student's don't have to navigate away from Schoology. - Add personal touches like course pictures, profile pictures, color folders, Bitmoji interactive classroom announcements, interactive buttons, etc. - Great calendar feature to put in meetings and share with other students or educators. - Great for all ages!

Cons

There are a lot of districts across the world now adopting Schoology so sometimes the software could be slower than usual. I would also like to be able to change the colors of the folders to my own options.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

Our district purchased Schoology:)

Janelle from Academy 20

Schoology for Synchronous and Asychronous Learning

We use Schoology to provide synchronous and asynchronous instruction for our students across all schools and grade levels in our district. Overall, the experience has been positive.

Pros

What I like most about Schoology is the ability to integrate multiple external tools within a Schoology course--you can embed videos, apps, and other tools directly within Schoology, which allows students a single point of access for all of the learning tools they'll need for a given lesson. For example, you can easily embed a FlipGrid, Padlet, or EdPuzzle directly into Schoology--this has been a great benefit to teachers and students.

Cons

There are a few small issues that we have a Schoology users--the most notable is the inability to force-submit quizzes and tests on behalf of students who forget to submit their assessments. This makes it impossible for the teacher to grade a students work without having the student go in an press the submit button. Additionally, the inability of teachers to rotate pages in document submissions (i.e. the student uploads a document horizontally, but it needs to be read vertically) adds additional difficulties for teachers as they grade. Finally, the fact that when a student uploads multiple pages to an assignment, Schoology displays them in size order instead of in the order they are uploaded increases difficulty for teachers when it comes to grading because often an assignment is not in the correct order.

Ann from Bellevue Public Schools

Schoology is central to our successful 1:1 blended learning classrooms providing digital workflow.

The software is central to our curriculum delivery in our 1:1 blended learning classrooms. It is a core app that we use daily and streamlines communication, assessment, and assignments.

Pros

Schoology is intuitive for both teachers and students. I love that Schoology is specifically designed for K-12 and has a simple interface for primary students. Schoology provides students one place to access curriculum content, collaborate with peers, and receive immediate feedback from assessments. Our teachers leverage several features in Schoology including grading groups and completion rules. Teachers can privately differentiate curriculum materials to individual students or groups with just a click using grading groups. Teachers can also design lessons that utilize completion rules which forces students to complete on activity with a certain degree of accuracy before moving on to the next activity. Teachers can also provide students feedback in a variety of formats which can include audio, video, drawings or written. The feedback is available to students as soon as it is graded. In addition to courses, Schoology also has a group feature which is one place for teachers to share curriculum materials with one another. The content in the group is shared with just a click to any course. This makes it very easy to move materials from teachers to students without the need to download or upload files, creating a smooth digital workflow.

Cons

None. The Schoology team is responsive to feedback and the team is constantly striving to make improvements.

Schoology Efficiency

I wanted to see if there was a difference in doing school work online and doing school work the traditional way using pen and paper. While you can get more distracted doing school work through Schoology since you are online and you have more access to other applications, I felt encouraged to finish my work faster and more efficiently since it was easy to access and it was quicker to type in my work instead of writing it. Also, it was motivating to see my progress in each class so I know what I need to work on and how well I’m doing. Overall, it was a good experience and if I had more professors utilizing this application/software, I would like it.

Pros

It was extremely convenient not only as a student but for staff and teachers that manage a large amount of students. For students, they are more encouraged to finish the school work quickly due to its convenience since they are only required to have a technological device such as a tablet or phone and internet in order to finish their work. They can access this in school, home, or anywhere as long as they have access to the internet. The app or website is easy to navigate through as well. The same goes for teachers and other staff since they are able to go through each student’s work efficiently since they are listed under their respective classes. Both student and teacher are able to track the progress of their work and they are enabled to see how they are faring in each class which encourages each student to improve and teachers are able to see which topic a student needs to work on. Teachers are also able to post take-home quizzes and lectures online which students can conveniently access.

Cons

If the student does not have access to wifi or internet, they are unable to see their homework/school work and they won’t be able to submit their requirements.

Traci from Sandy Run Middle School

The.LMS.System

Pros

Having come from Google Classroom, Schoology is a more robust learning management system. Teachers can create assignments, discussions, assessments. There is more than just a stream of posts. Folders are necessary to organize content. There is a free version of it that still has decent features but the enterprise version has ALL the tools that you need to manage student learning, grades, feedback, and communication. The online grade-book has the ability to create assessments and rubrics and keep track of student performance. I love that students can use the app, in addition to the Chromebook.

Cons

The learning curve can be steep; the user interface can be overwhelming. I wish that I could link sections of courses so that the I didn't have to re-post the same items in another section. For example, I teach two 7th grade sections. I find myself manually copying and posting in each separately - this takes extra time. Right now this doesn't have grade-book integration for our district, they are working on it. Grade-book integration is truly a requirement. Students and parents also cite issues with things being reported as late/over due that actually are not. Parents may need a streamlined interface or some free training. In terms of communication, it would be helpful to see stats on the message (how many read out of how many).

Deanna from Garnet Valley School District

Transforming the Digital Space

Schoology has enabled me to create a digital platform for my students to access whenever and however they need. Being a traveling teacher has its own unique set of obstacles, but Schoology has empowered me to bring my in-person style and flare to the digital space. I no longer feel as I am scatted around multiple classrooms. Each of my digital classrooms are organized in the same manner so there is a sense of structure to my instruction, just like a physical space would allow.

Pros

I love that I can use Schoology as a vehicle to personalization--personalization for student learning and personalization for my instruction. I am able to add/delete assignments for students. I can create assignments for specific groups of students. It is easier to use the same rubric for similar assignments because the rubric is already built and saved. I can deliver lessons in various methods. My instruction and assessment have become more transparent (and more fair!) for students due to these features.

Cons

The features that I most dislike about Schoology revolve around the integrations with Google Drive and TurnItIn. While I have long applauded the Google integration, I detest that the Google assignments (when submitted through this integration) are not time stamped. Also, my colleagues and I have found TurnItIn to be a bit more complicated than necessary to use. It is not intuitive, and rather difficult to explain to students. I often end up not using it.

Julie from Columbia Public Schools

Life Changing

It has streamlined my classroom: Assignments are in schoology, collected in schoology, graded in schoology, I used it to flip my classroom and organize what students do and when. It has streamlined the work that I do to get ready for class: I can easily collaborate with the teachers I work with, I can set up one class and copy to others, It helps me keep track of where my students are and what they are achieving. I teach my students how to use the program to get more out of their own learning: They can check on their level of mastery, rework old assignments and quizzes (when I let them), they can check their progress, see what is coming, and know what is expected of them just by opening the course. 3 years after beginning to use it, I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Pros

I haven't collected a piece of paper in 3 years. It grades many things for me and I can get feedback on how my students are doing. I continue to have access to everything in a course even after it has ended. Schoology is incredibly helpful in fixing problems, and asking for feedback. It merges seamlessly with my school's grade book program. It has allowed me to turn my traditional classroom into a flipped-mastery classroom that use standards based grading. Differentiating instruction and assignments is easy with this program.

Cons

There are still things I wish it could do that it can't... yet. They are still working on those things.

Best Educator Software

This software allowed me to finally free up time and focus on my teaching instead of paperwork! Even better, all the tests and assignments I make can be saved to assignment bank, and I can reuse them for years to come. Absolute game-changer.

Pros

I am a teacher and school district I work for recently rolled out schoology and mandated all teachers to use it and I think this has been the best move in years. Schoology is AMAZING. First, it's very user-friendly (homepage looks like Facebook news feed, and grade books mirror many early-stage online grade books). Gradebook is easy to use and my school district has embedded an option where grades can automatically transfer and post in the district database every 5 weeks. That alone takes hours of work away from teachers when grades are due! Second, students can submit assignments on schoology - everything from exit tickets and papers to discussions and even tests. No more stacks of papers to take home and grade - I can literally access those online from any device and grade at my spare time. Even better - tests and quizzes can be created manually and correct answers programmed in, so when the student submits it, Schoology grades it and posts the grade for you (you have an option to review to verify it).

Cons

I am a math teacher and I would like for the option to allow students to create graphs themselves when doing tests. Schoology does not yet have such options, and instead I have to create graphs and and insert those pictures into tests, and make any graphing question a multiple choice one.

Glen from Wabasha-Kellogg School District

Fantastic, game-changing LMS

Schoology has transformed my teaching! I have been teaching for almost 18 years and I knew that I was basically teaching to the middle group of my students. I was not differentiating for the various learners in my class. The tools available in Schoology helped me to move my teaching from lecture based to a blended classroom approach. I now train teachers on a daily basis to transform their teaching using Schoology. The Schoology community is one of the most active, supportive groups I have ever encountered.

Pros

Schoology is an easy to use LMS initially as a teacher and student. The best part is that there are so many added features and an amazing supportive community to help you customize and develop your courses even further. The customer service for Schoology is fantastic and the professional learning community in Schoology Educators is active and very helpful to anyone from a beginner to an advanced user. We did a side by side comparison between Schoology - Edmodo - Canvas and Google Classroom and our teachers and students completely supported our adoption of Schoology!

Cons

Some missing features include the ability to lock an entire folder and the ability to navigate quiz/tests more easily.

Schoology Review from Admin Side

I would recommend Schoology for teachers that have a good understanding of technology. The price is a bit much but it does a lot if the teachers are willing to spend the time on it.

Pros

Schoology is a very good LMS and is very versatile. I allows my teaching staff to communicate with their students on a regular basis. It also helps my teachers with parent communication. The program is also nice for students that have been absent or that are going to miss school for sports or a vacation.

Cons

The cross over from our SMS to this program is not always smooth and is a bit frustrating at times.

Justin from Lancaster Bible College

Schoology - Empowering Blended Learning

Schoology has transformed my own teaching and assessment strategies, and I have seen it greatly impact the classrooms of my colleagues. It remains one of my top recommendations for any educators across the educational technology spectrum.

Pros

Schoology's greatest asset is its ease of use. When my institution adopted Schoology as the LMS (to replace a previous, more complicated LMS), we saw a 2/3 increase in active users, effectively transforming our classrooms. Schoology excels at communication (to your entire course, co-workers, or individual students) compared to other learning management systems. Additionally, schoology is an LMS visibly built around a learning centered classroom, unlike the obvious content-centered approach favored by prominent, older learning management systems.

Cons

Schoology's ease of use does mean some loss of complicated features. At first glance, schoology has a smaller feature set than some LMS's. However, if you are willing to be creative, the platform engages very cleanly with third party tools to accomplish any functionality that may have been lost.

Pamela from Three Falls Elementary

Schoology is a great Learning Management System

I love that I can continue to teach regardless of the current pandemic situation thanks to Schoology.

Pros

Schoology has played a critical role in helping teachers teach during our current pandemic situation. It is key that I can put curriculum online for students that are sick or in quarantine. It is also critical for when I have had to teach from home. It allows me to communicate with students regardless of the current conditions.

Cons

Figuring out the best way to assign things like google forms, and links to websites has been a little bit confusing because there is multiple ways to this. To find the most efficient way of using it has been a challenge.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

It was mandated from the district office.

Katie from Bayside Middle School VBCPS

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Schoology - an AWESOME tool!

Schoology is a great solution for "one stop shopping" for our students. This is a great time-saver in the classroom.

Pros

My staff and students have used Schoology for the past three years. It is a great learning management system. The students find it user friendly and the teachers love having one place to manage the many aspects of their classes. Excited to see what new features will be coming this year!

Cons

My teachers are patiently waiting for Schoology to be tied to our student information system so grades will import directly!

District decision

Connect Learners and Content via Schoology

Schoology has been essential in our school's mission to be more agile and flexible when thinking about how we schedule and deliver courses to students. It is a major component of our success in meeting our goals.

Pros

Schoology is a turn-key solution for any school, college, university looking to deploy blended/hybrid learning or develop online courses. Schoology allows for increased communication, collaboration, and connectedness among your class, content, and students. It is extremely easy to use, set up, and navigate for both instructors and students. Its integration with both Google and Microsoft365 increase the efficiency of assignment collection and grading than ever possible in a class without a Learning Management System. Schoology also provides a free version of their platform for teachers who may not be within an organization able to fund the full Enterprise version.

Cons

Schoology needs to devote more of its engineers to expanding the platforms LTI integrations and UI to surpass its competitors.

December 2015

Cathie from Fox Chapel Area School District

December 2015

Your Classroom Experience Will Change with Schoology

Schoology is an all encompassing learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to expand the walls of the classroom beyond the school day. Students can easily log into their Schoology account and access class materials, watch embedded videos, practice skills, or respond to class discussions. Teachers can organize and create folders and build an entire course throughout the year. The interface has a social media look that can be appealing for students. However, students treat Schoology as a course and not Facebook. Restrictions can easily be enabled to ensure that student's post before they see other responses. The Schoology App works extremely well in a 1:1 iPad classroom. Students can easily add their Google Drive App and submit assignments from Google Drive directly to Schoology. Teachers have an easy toggle feature that allows them to score student work efficiently without opening new tabs for every student assignment. Rubrics can be easily created and directly attached to the assignment. Schoology does platform with Pearson, Powerschool, and many other online sources. Those services provided do cost money. Schoology is COPPA compliant and has signed the Student Privacy Pledge. Videos and tutorials are easily accessible, and the company is very responsive to questions and suggestions. I was using another popular LMS but found that my students treated it like Facebook. When I switched to Schoology I found that the interface and the assignment feed are easier to manage and sort through. Students treat Schoology as a course and not another form of social media. They respond appropriately and use it as a resource for their learning. Building on-line quizzes take time, but students respond well to receiving the instant feedback. Aa a teacher, I find the assignment feature and uploading from Google Drive seamless. I've been able to leave feedback and not feel overwhelmed reading 100 essays submitted in Schoology. The hardest feature of Schoology is learning and discovering all of the bells and whistles it offers. I would recommend using Schoology with a team of teachers or a colleague. It's much easier to bounce ideas off of each other as you tinker with its features. Once you maneuver through the first weeks of Schoology you won't turn back. I left everything I created on my old LMS and have had no regrets. Schoology is ideal if your looking to go paperless as well.

Leslie from Alief ISD

Program ease in collaborative with teachers and Google easy for that with students across classes.

Being able to collaborate and communicate with teachers in my department is fast and easy. Collaborative projects with students across all class periods has been very productive in my classes. Being able to sync to the gradebook is fast and efficient.

Pros

Ease in posting resources to keep students in Schoology for research projects and assignments. The ability to assess student learning in multiple formats. Being able to use the Google Drive link to create collaborative assignments across class periods for students to participate in allows all students to participate in one big project.

Cons

Schoology needs to solve the problem of students being able to copy and paste into Schoology. It's too easy for students to plagiarize when they can go outside of Schoology and copy and paste information to answer questions. I can tell students not to do that and remove grade points when they do, but if Schoology could find a way to not allow student accounts to copy and paste, there would be more original work done by students in the platform.

A beautiful piece of software

Our business is extremely productive thanks to Schoology. It gives teachers a lot of control over their class and a way to organize everything in a way that it saves time and money. Amazing!

Pros

I cannot stress how incredible this software is. It looks a bit like Facebook, which makes it both familiar and easy to use, the user-interface is a huge reason why my company uses Schoology. Schoology interfaces with Google, allowing embed of my google files so that it will automatically update in Schoology if I update an assignment sheet and/or calendar. Students can also upload assignments from their Google Drive. In fact, the interfacing means you can grade, view, and comment on all assignments in Google Drive. It's incredibly easy to use in the classroom setting and I have had student parents thank me for their children's learning progress because of this software.

Cons

The thing I like least about Schoology is that while it has great Google interfacing, there's a lack of some other platforms that could be useful for people who might need that kind of feature. It's not a problem for me and my company.

Schoology is more user-friendly

Stacey from Utah Online School

User Friendly for Students and Teachers

Often times during the course of a class mistakes are caught and need to be fixed. It is very easy and smooth to fix issues while the class continues to run smoothly. The integration with Google Drive is extremely helpful to make things seamless for students!

Pros

I have used a lot of different Learning Management Systems and Schoology is by far my favorite! It is very user friendly on both the teacher and the student end. It is easy to build courses and manage them. It's easy to see student progress and grades. Using folders and all of the different content options, it is very easy to organize the content so that students can navigate it easily.

Cons

Over the years of using Schoology, they have made many updates that have fixed the complaints I've had. My complaints come more from other systems we use, such as single sign on. And the issues isn't with Schoology, it's with students not knowing their login information to sign in.

Brittany from Charter School of New Castle

Schoology Success!

At first, I will admit, I struggled using Schoology and I am pretty tech-savvy. After spending some time diving into it, I found it is pretty user-friendly, easily accessible by both students and parents, and a great way to present documents, stations for classes, and assignments. I loved being able create groups for stations and color coding each one. Made it simple for my younger students.

Pros

Schoology is a platform that has features perfect for a middle/high school classroom setting. It allows the ability to have students access their assigned class and find documents needed throughout the year. It is simple and straightforward for students, allows administrators to create groups within the school for educators (ELA, 5th grade, etc.), and can be utilized by everyone.

Cons

It is not an aesthetically pleasing platform, with little to no design features, minus a picture and color coding the folders.

Reasons for Switching to Schoology

It was a school-wide switch to using Schoology.

Jessica from Altus Public Schools

Best LMS in the game!

Schoology changed my classroom experience for the better. It is integral to my classroom and our school district since we are 1:1. Schoology isn't just a tool it creates a culture in your classroom that helps faciliate community in the classroom experience.

Pros

*User Functionality - easy for teachers and students to use! *Consistency of Updates from Schoology - they are constantly improving the platform whether it be with new app integration or ease of use in design. *Support - Their support team is amazing, and client services are impeccable. * Number of Apps that integrate is growing all the time! *Google Assignment App stepped up the overall experience and use for Teachers. * Assessment update changed the game - appeals to all different subject areas.

Cons

Honestly none because any issue that has existed Schoology has responded with an update if there was enough need for a change! That is one of their greatest strengths as a company.

Ross from Pursuant

Good student communication tool, but some features are hard to use.

I think Schoology is a good software that is helpful in school for online submission of projects and documents, however I prefer Google Classroom because it is easier to use. It took me much longer to become acclimated to Schoology than Classroom.

Pros

Schoology is a well designed program that is very similar to Google Classroom. In Schoology, it is easier to organize than google classroom within the certain classes. The teacher is able to create folders that include all the classwork for the students in color coordination. This is easier to view than google classroom, however it is more difficult to view the due dates.

Cons

The hardest part of the software to me is the attachment of files to the assignment. In google classroom, it is very easy to attach videos, files, links, and documents. There is a button that allows students to attach documents of their own, however most of the time in my experience it refuses to attach my document to the file. I have to end up copying and pasting my document into a new document. Also, if a student submits the assignment and then realizes he or she has made a mistake, sometimes there is no option to un-submit it. Also, it will sometimes submit multiple versions of the document as it is edited.

Donna from Peninsula SD

Schoology supports students, families, and teachers

Pros

Schoology is a robust yet flexible tool that helps teachers provide content, instruction and feedback to students and families. It is highly customizable and allows teachers to integrate most any other digital tool to meet the diverse needs of learners. Schoology can be used in basic to deeply developed ways. One of my favorite features is the ability to save and build content and items from course to course. You are able to save time and build stronger learning experiences as your skills and created items grow.

Cons

The biggest challenge with Schoology is the shear volume of customizable features and functions. The basics are relatively easy to learn, but it does take time to play and learn the full capabilities this product has to offer.

Reasons for Choosing Schoology

The overall flexibility, robust tools, and collaborative structure.

Danielle from Bear Creek School

Excellent LMS for Middle School

I enjoy using Schoology to provide resources for my students to use both in the classroom and outside. It is fairly easy to use, but can sometimes be time-consuming. The integration with G Suite is beneficial with reducing the time needed to edit content in multiple classes. It is easy for students to navigate and undersatnd.

Pros

I like the ease with which students can navigate the platform and the way that it houses everything that students use. I also like the ability to collaborate with colleagues to create activities/assessments together and share then easily with each other. I also like that it enables you to provide feedback for students on assignments and communicate directly with students.

Cons

There are some features (feedback for the new assessments, reporting features for the gradebook) that are missing that would be really helpful, particularly for remote learning.

Dakota from West Fargo Public School

Schoology LMS

Overall, Schoology is a great learning management system and has made delivering content and assesssment student progress a much more manageable task.

Pros

What I like most about Schoology is it's ease of use. The interface is clean and takes on a social media feel which most of its users will be used to and appreciate. I also love how you can integrate many of the top educational programs and apps right along with Schoology such as quizlet.com and nearpod.com.

Cons

What I like least about Schoology is how certain features that would seemingly be easy to fix take so long to be developed or go into affect. For example, the launch of the new assessments feature was very exciting because it open up more question types, but lacked some of the features so beneficial to students and educators. These features include the Spanish keyboards, quetion banks, and printable assessments.

Ruth from Sacred Heart Academy

Schoology Makes Teaching Easier

I have saved so much paper by moving to giving and receiving homework assignments through Schoology.

Pros

I use Schoology on a daily basis. I am a big fan. I love everything that it has to offer. I assign all homework assignments through Schoology and expect my students to submit their assignments through Schoology. It's very easy to upload an assignment and to go through the submitted assignments. I also appreciate the Resources tab, which allows to to upload files, links, and more, making it easy for me to pull up materials I need to use in class.

Cons

I really like this software and it has made my life much easier as a teacher. The only function I wish it had would be the ability to schedule publishing of an assignment. Right now I have to manually publish an assignment when I want it to appear to my students.

David from Chick-fil-A-Franchise

Industry: Restaurants

Schoology helps organize classes and groups. It keeps everything organized and available for all.

Pros

Schoology is a great organization tool for students as it displays all their classes and has each classes' contents inside the group. This allows for teachers to easily make assignments and information available to students digitally. Schoology also has a built-in calendar and notification system to make sure students turn in assignments on time. It has a very intuitive interface and it is easy to access for both administration, teachers, and students from both the mobile app and the web.

Cons

Schoology can sometimes have bugs which makes it frustrating in a classroom setting. Bugs can take time to fix and can delay important teaching material. The settings can be confusing at times and the mobile app can crash at times. Schoology support also takes some time to implement essential features which can be quite annoying at times.

Eric from Lancaster Bible College

Schoology - K-12 Winner, Not So Much for Higher Ed

Schoology is an excellent platform for blended learning or situations where online learning is supplemental to face-to-face learning. For higher education, or fully online learning, it has a long way to go to catch up with the industry leaders.

Pros

Schoology is easy to use, provides an intuitive interface, and leverages the benefits of social media. As an Enterprise user, I have access to the full suite of analytics and universal settings, which are powerful. The mobile apps are feature-rich as well.

Cons

Schoology is not the ideal platform for higher education. The interface, while easy to navigate, is juvenile in its icons and profile images. And while it features a social media "wall" of recent activity across one's courses, the interface looks like an old Facebook. Also, Schoology's font, which cannot be altered, even by Enterprise users, is too small. This raises ADA compatibility concerns.

Marja from Parkview Baptist School

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

When we used it I was very happy with the product.

As a former English teacher, it was so nice to have students be able to speak their voice in a setting they may not have been comfortable with prior to using Schoology. We were able to do many of the same discussions with our Bible students as well. It really helped in studying scripture passages.

Pros

I love the addition of the discussion board feature. Requiring students to post prior to seeing other students' post makes it easier to ensure they are not summarizing/rewording someone else's post. This was something that several teachers at my school requested and Schoology was very quick to implement it.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say about the software. Many teachers at our school had a real problem with handing over a copy of our drivers licenses to a company when we already had a full background check with our school during the hiring process. It felt like a violation of privacy.

Sarah from Duxbury Public Schools

Schoology

They've been great. I have gotten the opportunity to learn from many users and become a resident expert in my school as well.

Pros

This platform has been a savior in the current remote learning context we are in with this extended closure due to COVID 19. They've adjusted their settings, provided support and are responsive to the customer needs.

Cons

I wish they would make blind scoring a reality in their platform for written work! This would allow us to eliminate one other platform and it seems like something that this LMS could manage.

Reasons for Choosing Schoology

We seriously considered Blackboard and Canvas, but we already had about 50% of staff using the free version of Schoology and thus went with it for that user base and because it had all the bells and whistles in a user friendly experience.

Jo from Archbishop of York Youth Trust

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Flexible, fully-featured and fun!

Schoology works best for a whole school setting where different ability levels of instructors and learners will be accessing the platform. Especially suited to an establishment which intends to develop a blended learning and learning self-paced learning approach outside of the classroom. A school which confidently uses mobile apps and digital technologies will find Schoology a healthy addition to their collection of digital tools.

Pros

+A huge community of teachers and learners looking to sharing their experience and support one another in the usage of the platform. +A recognisable user interface which makes the learning curve for new users simple and intuitive. +Superb flexibility to create bespoke learning environments for teachers and learners.

Cons

- Some limitation of iframe embed due to the HTTPS protocol requirement. Use of HTML code editor often strips the inclusion of more advanced features such as Java functions. - Limitation toe badge and gamification of learning. - LTI integration not fully functional, relying on apps developers to plug the gaps.

Aaron from E-Learning

Schoology Rocks!

Pros

Schoology allows you to have the all encompassing digital environment for your students. You can house all of your digital materials in one easy spot for students. The platform has a simple layout- which I love for my elementary students. Perhaps the best feature is the assessments. The new assessments allow you to use multiple choice, drag and drop, paint tools, highlighted text, etc. This allows you to essentially recreate any assignment you would normally have in a much more engaging way. And another great feature is that it can self-grade so your students can get instant feedback.

Cons

I really haven't found anything that I don't like about Schoology. They do have a "shared resource" section that could be easier to navigate.

Nicholas from Ramapo Indian Hills Regional High School District

The MVP LMS

I love having used Schoology in the past when teaching HS English an gamifying my classroom. I now utilize Schoology for professional development purposes. This allows me to create and offer my teachers anytime, anywhere, self-paced learning modules.

Pros

Schoology truly focuses their attention on personalized student learning. The features to set completion settings and afford students the opportunity to complete units/lessons/folders at their own pace is truly a game-changer. With that, it works perfectly when trying to gamify your classroom with the added benefit of included badges.

Cons

Navigation and ease of use require a little bit of time to play around and get comfortable with the program. So many added benefits and features are within other options. But once you figure them out (like embedding other apps into Schoology) they become the norm.