(2,216)

2,216

(1,114)

1,114

• Pros

• "I love that it was able to get my store up and running easily, and looks amazing. It has made my life so much easier since starting using it."

• "This app is easy to use. Makes my business run smoother. It works seamlessly for me and I enjoy using it."

• "It has been pretty easy to use. It is nice to have my store and my website all in one place. The price is right."

• Cons

• "Setup for some languages (as Swedish) is a bit left behind. But it seems like they are investing even in the smaller markets now."

• "A little limited for in-depth design. The good news is that there is room for custom code and theming. If you have a web developer available they can fully customize everything from beginning to end. "

• "The only downside is that it is not free. but the prices are absolutely fair, if not even rather low."

Browse Shopify Reviews

Scott from SMC Consulting

Don't Shop Around, Shop-ify!

Overall, Shopify has been good to me. They made me a Partner because of the – you know I can't actually recall what the criteria was to become one – maybe you just apply to become one. But if you are a Partner, you can develop stores at no cost, and then get paid a referral fee and a residual for transferring it to a paying client. A very nice gesture towards us store-builders – I wish all creative software or SaaS platforms were as fiscally friendly. They also make it easy for devs looking to expand into Shopify App creation – so they can be on the receiving end of that sweet, month-to-month autocharged booty.

Pros

Shopify is where it's at if you want to get involved in the whole Direct 2 Consumer craze! You could literally have a store, up and running and transactional in 10 minutes assuming you're computer / web literate, have a bank account, and a product to sell...For getting up and running with hundreds of attractive themes to choose from (not all on Shopify.com, there are online stores that sell themes...) you really can't beat the ease of Shopify – with just the right amount of freedom, and automation to make sure you can get your products and logo looking their best, and not accidentally break the whole thing. And if you know a little HTML/CSS, the sky is really the limit in terms of customizing the theme. Plus there's a Shopify "App Store" that offers every possible function you could imagine if you wanted something not natively offered such as pop-ups, rewards clubs, or wholesale pricing.

Cons

In the beginning, I found it a bit cumbersome to deal with large catalogs with lots of variants (color / size) per sku. But Shopify and their lightning-fast chat support are nothing if not good listeners and they've made editing part of, or your whole catalog, much easier than ever before, with tons of filters for tailoring your product selection on the back end, to making almost any variable from Title, to Inventory, to Weight, easily bulk editable. So the thing I'll say that still stinks, is that all the apps charge subscription fees, which is super annoying, especially if you rely on a bunch of them. I would much rather pay a one and done license fee as opposed to $3 a month for my mailing list manager app, $16 a month for my Wholesale price tiering app, and $5 for my abandoned cart retrieval system. It adds up to a big, never-ending headache.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Magento had way more than I needed or could comprehend. Everyone says it's an enterprise tool and everyone is right.

Shari from SRPR Consulting Firm

DO NOT HESITATE TO USE SHOPIFY!!!

My overall experience with Shopify is that I will not be deleting my Shopify website! I love the platform, love the themes, love the many ways you can customize the themes, and love the thought that SO many huge companies are actually using Shopify as well! Fashion Nova, Steve Madden, Staples, etc. all use Shopify for their websites! Amazing to know someone small can create a website like the big companies and become successful all on their own! It’s definitely worth the time to give a try!

Pros

I liked that Shopify’s platform is very easy to use, even for a web-developing beginner! You need absolutely no skills to build a Shopify store that will amaze your website visitors! Simply select a theme that fits well with your store’s niche and go from there. There are so many app add-ons that you can download to your Shopify store to make it POP. And the best part? You can utilize their free-trial to build your website with no restrictions so that possibly at the end of your trial (like me) you are already ready to launch your store with the $30/month subscription!

Cons

I definitely do not like that most app add-ons are additional fees. Once you realize there are other apps you want/need, the cost adds up to where you will find yourself needing nearly a $100/month budget (unless you select a higher costing Shopify subscription, that can run you up to nearly a $200/month budget). More free (not just free-trial) apps need to be available because not everyone can afford to keep paying monthly for everything, ESPECIALLY during this pandemic. A reduced monthly subscription fee during this pandemic would have been super considerate!

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

I have been using WordPress for years, and I can tell you one thing—Shopify is much more affordable and gets the job done, especially for an eCommerce website. From only using Shopify’s free trial I was blown away. I am definitely sticking with Shopify!

MARY GARVEY from CRC WHOLESALE REDEFINED

Industry: Wholesale

Thought I was signing up for an Integrated POS System and Website

Feels like Shopify sucks you in and is not transparent. When you realize what the system doesn’t do...they apologize and are very kind but not very helpful. There are a bunch of awkward apps you can buy to fix the problems but they don’t work very well. Wish someone would just make an easy functioning system that met business that sell inventory on line and in person.

Pros

It is easy to get a website up and running. Adding products is easy.

Cons

WHERE DO I BEGIN: -inventory records only go back three months...I was horrified to find out I lost 4 months of inventory records. -to print a receipt...you need to buy and download an app...it is awkward to use and takes a couple minutes for the receipt to upload before you can print it. -to have employees log in you need to download and app and pay monthly -you can not do a credit on someone’s account if they return something...You need to either return their money or give them a gift card it is awkward and difficult to use. -if you mark an order pending payment you cannot take payment on the POS system. -you cannot add any vender information that is not visible to your customers. -the duplicate feature when adding products doesn’t work properly....to hard to explain what should be duplicated and what shouldn’t but trust me it wasn’t created by someone that understands business

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Seemed easier to use but there are so many missing features and using apps in conjunction with the system is awkward!!!!

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Lightspeed Retail and E Commerce did not communicate well....was looking for a system that would be easier to use....was willing to put up with some of the shortcomings but when I found out it only tracks inventory for 3 months I was horrified. I have a nightmare on my hands.

Bart from Moonoo.be

Moving from woocommerce to Shopify: the right direction

We managed to set up a new website from scratch in a matter of days by modifying a paid theme and adding a set of key plugins.

Pros

Shopify is a simple solution to get you started fast, without the need to code. The rare coding I had to do was also quite simple, allowing me to create the website from scratch in a matter of days (as opposed to weeks before). The visual approach of the many themes that you can simply buy, add and start adapting makes it a breeze. It is this community approach that makes it interesting as the web is filled with questions & answers, plugins and themes - both free and paying. The multitude of plugins make it easy to connect payment methods, delivery solutions or add additional features in no time. Not each plugin is equally well integrated, but that's rather the plugin's issue, not Shopify's. Comparing it with our previous webshop that we created in Woocommerce, it wins hands down.

Cons

The downside of its more simplistic approach (in which you do no longer need to code), is that you give up on flexibility. Tweaking a theme is cumbersome, yet not impossible. Coming from Woocommerce (in combination with Wordpress), we had to switch our mindset: from creating what we wanted, we needed to comply with what was offered. Luckily, we found a great theme that made it easy to make that switch. For companies who require a very specific approach, it might take some more work, but it is definitely feasible. Technically speaking, it sometimes works strange, even counter intuitive or it's even hit or miss (with regards to saving, language switching etc). Luckily, it is a rare thing. The monthly fee could be a drawback for some, but when you see what you get, it is definitely worth the cost.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

The large community behind it and the positive responses from co-webshop owners.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Shopify was easier to setup and maintain, it does not require regular updates, it has no plugins (yet?) that go broke and above all it does not require a huge amount of coding.

Quick and Easy to Use

A few years ago we were having issues with the security implementation on our WooCommerce site. We switched to Shopify and to be honest, it is much easier for our customer service people to use. Although, editing the code may be a little more difficult, it is not anything that anyone should really be afraid of. There is a pretty active community forum for help as well as the help desk has answered my questions when I have had them as well.

Pros

I find that it is pretty easy to create products and make them go live. Further, the fact that Shopify provides the hosting and therefore, the security for the site is quite amazing. I also like that Shopify is a major player in the marketplace. So many times I have had to go for knock offs and Shopify is not that.

Cons

Having been a guy that had never edited liquid files before, that was new to me, but finding what I need to edit and adjust in the code is really not that difficult. There is a lot of help available for this too. I do find that there are not as many apps to connect to your site as there is with WooCommerce. That is also connected to the security aspect as well though as sometimes having too many apps allows for more opportunities for things to go wrong.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

We were having an issue with some of the security implementation that could have been connected to our hosting as well. Having Shopify, that is taken care of through Shopify themselves.

Great small business e-commerce platform

Shopify was relatively easy to setup and manage. Their large marketplace of add-ons and app integrations makes Shopify a vital e-commerce tool. For simple inventory and price tiers, Shopify is the best choice.

Pros

Easy to setup web store with multiple app integrations make Shopify the go-to e-commerce platform for many small businesses. Inventory control, customer tracking, and website builder are among the better features. Access to marketing tools and add-ons make Shopify a very powerful tool.

Cons

Shopify has issues with multiple price tiers, multiple brands, and specific types of discounts that have item exclusions.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Shopify has a simpler out-of-the-box setup and better integration to access more modern features compared to competitors.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Shopify has better integration to access more modern features compared to 3D Cart.

Maile from Boutique Academia

Best E-commerce Platform

I moved over from a different e-commerce platform and the difference between them and Shopify could not be more apparent. Shopify's tech support is eager to help and well-informed. Their pricing is reasonable for the service. Their app store is excellent, and their website templates are great.

Pros

Shopify is well priced and has an extensive app library that you can purchase and install. This makes Shopify very customizable to your business needs.

Cons

There are some features that I wish were built in for better functionality... like the ability to have nested product options. However, most problems have app solutions (including this one) and although the solutions are sometimes clunky and more pricey than I'd like, they work.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Bigcommerce increased their prices substantially a few years back. That prompted me to move to Shopify and I couldn't be more happy that I did because Shopify provides so much more in terms of usability than Bigcommerce did.

Shopify has no competitors

Nothing but good and more good. Every issue I have ever had was resolved properly

Pros

Ease of use and by far the best customer service I've have had with an online product and I have used them all.

Cons

It can get pricey with app you could use but dollar for dollar It suits me best and is the best fit for the sites I manage as well

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Volusion very confusing, woo is great but wordpress has too many updates that break things

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

It was pain in the you know what

Easy to use out of the box

We host our ecommerce website using Shopify. I have integration with Shopify and Netsuite so our orders flow to our accounting system. We had developers set up the site, but we are able to make a lot of the day to day changes and reach out to developers for the more complicated things.

Pros

It has lots of plugins available so the features and functionality seem pretty broad. I also like how a lot of maintenance can be done without a developer.

Cons

I do wish more features were native or free. They seem to know that there are a lot of third party apps that will provide services customers need, but that adds up. I wish somethings were included in the base package and not just via upgrade to Pro or with third party apps.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Additional functionality and features. We needed to update our site so it seemed like a good time to switch platforms too.

Sam from Hippy Feet

Longtime User

Overall, I'd recommend shopify to the majority of people looking to sell products online.

Pros

Shopify feels like the gold standard for getting an ecommerce brand off the ground and scaled. I've been super happy with it and their product only gets better and better as more third-party companies have smooth integrations.

Cons

Their code framework is just annoying. It's difficult to navigate and make changes, and you're locked out of making changes to certain parts of your site unless you purchase a higher level package.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

We could start small with Shopify and scale as our business grows.

Cheslyn from Krabi Provincial Organisational School

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

The Software is only Effective if the Product is.

It is important to note that I do not blame Shopify for a business's failure, it is merely the platform and spring-board and not the gymnast, the product you sell in your store matters and it is your job to dedicate your time, effort, and...Uhm...money to help your business succeed, and Shopify helped me with that and it was great and it can be great for anyone who makes use of this system or those planning to use it. Although, I wasn't kidding about the YT Tutorials, study the in and outs and hows and you'll do just great. Shopify offers its own tutorials but it's better to see people like you and me actually do it, practically, than to see it in theory.

Pros

I was on the road to entrepreneurship when I invested my time and money into Shopify, my eyes were wide with hope and it is important to note that this software requires training, extensive training. This software offers great functionality and is very in tune with the internet and allows you to stay in this Shopify bubble and do all that you need to do...HERE, in Shopify. The software becomes, very, user-friendly after a few Youtube tutorials, this study process shouldn't take more than a few hours for you to get the hang of this program and once you do, the simplicity is amazing. I was astounded and how connected this software is, not only to all social media but to other applications that can make your Shopify journey great and financially fruitful.

Cons

This is really my only gripe with this software...the price. Shopify dazzles you with the shimmering glow of entrepreneurship and the tasty smell of financial success, but that can only happen if you can afford the monthly premium that allows your store to stay open and those first few months are a doozy, especially if your business is taking a while to get its footing. We all hope that we can start a great business with zero capital, but that's a fantasy for the most part, and I wouldn't complain if all I had to pay for was the monthly subscription to Shopify, but I also had to pay for all those extra applications that would have helped my business flourish, all the little things added up and started to get daunting and expensive and made me feel like it wasn't worth it, but if you stick it out and if you have the right product, Shopify will help sky-rocket your business.

Ian from CPGIO

The Best E-commerce Platform

I'm very satisfied with Shopify. It's really the best in its class, and I have recommended it regularly to friends and family members who are looking for an e-commerce solution.

Pros

When I launched Shopify originally, I was looking for a solution that would accommodate online sales for my organization as well as in-person sales at our conferences. I had physical and digital items, and I needed something could take care of it all. That's what I found in Shopify. It was easy to implement and it helped the organization increase sales 35% YoY. Since then, I've launched a half dozen Shopify sites, and I just love how easy and flexible the platform is.

Cons

My only complaint about Shopify is how much of the platform requires apps. There are a lot of things that some of their competitors offer as a part of the platform that Shopify leaves to their app developers, and it's hard to get nickle-and-dimed when I want to add subscriptions or gift messages or anything else.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

WooCommerce is great, but it just didn't feel like a turnkey solution.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

I made the switch because my other platform kept crashing and it was requiring massive changes to my data in order for me to run an update. I figured if I was going to have to reconfigure everything anyway, I might as well move to a better platform. The only downside was that the old platform was opensource and free, so we had to make an adjustment to paying a monthly fee.

John from F&F Charitable Acquisitions LLC

Shopify Review

It has truly been a very wonder asset to my company as well as other companies I am associated with. Its ease to not only display products, get the word out, and interface with other websites for maximum exposure is excellent. The ability to track sales, and collect funds virtually anyway possible is great. Their customer service and care is way better than most companies. Finally, the ability to use it on so many devices allows for almost any player independent contractor, etc. to be able to convert products into sales anywhere with a cash register basically in their pocket.

Pros

The product is very easy to use, contains multiple components beneficial to any business, and customer support is fabulous. All of its portals are self explanatory for the most part. In the rare occasion something is not understood or an error occurs, customer service is very thorough in helping solve the issue. They don't make you feel uneducated, or like you're bothering them, often they offer tips and tricks to help make your overall content better. I have personally spoken with many support people whom also have shopify accounts. They were nothing but a pleasure to speak with. Also, whether drop shipping, selling own products/services, or almost any type of business that exchanges money, this has it all. From manual entry sales, to point of sale systems, to cash payments, it tracks everything, and provides multiple options so customers have a choice in how to pay. Its ability to allow multiple people to log in such as employees or other people allowed to make sales with such ease is wonderful. The best part, is it can be accessed through any computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.. No need for expensive software or register machines anymore.

Cons

There really is not much I can say negative. For what they offer, they are pretty much spot on. Maybe the fact its not free.. :) but nothing this good could, nor should be free.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

We looked at hiring an individual to take over this sector. What they would have done we do not know. Shopify gave us the ability to not have to hire that person. Saving us money in the end.

Adam from Guangzhou Hardy Company

Industry: Import and Export

The EASIEST Ecom platform all around the globe

No more struggling to create an eCom website. I started creating websites and promoting my products a little bit late than others, but I was speechless once I started with Shopify the ease of use they give you to kickstart your project is astonishing. With Shopify you are limitless and you are always motivated to go further and further building your business and getting it to the next level. Thank you for having great software that makes everything easy.

Pros

Free themes: A friendly dashboard to complete your website in a blink of an eye Real cheap: With only $29 you can design, track your product, manage your clients, and so on... High secured platform: It gives you the power of creating your website and never ever worry about getting hacked or struggle with the server downtime. Unlimited plugins and APPS: Yes it's like having an iPhone and you want to download an app for it, the Shopify app store is limitless any kind of app and plugins is available, and easy to install. Customer service is available 24h/7 by email/Online Chat/ FAQ Community: Huge community and video explanatory contents. YOU NEVER STRUGGLE.

Cons

Sometimes downloading a lot of APPs might make your website slow on loading, just need to be careful about what app you're integrating and just work with the MOST HAVE APPS.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Although it's a good platform it wasn't as good as Shopify. More expansive, lack of apps, harder than Shopify. Customer service takes longer or sometimes hours to respond

Adam from Buckstaff Public Safety

Industry: Law Enforcement

I LOVE Shopify

It's been a highly successful project. We went from having an idea to having a very successful website within a year. Upkeep is a breeze and they are always improving their software. In the 2.5 years we have been using Shopify software, I have never had to contact support or interact with Shopify about any issues. It just works.

Pros

Shopify made launching a new website super easy. We had an idea to start selling a new product line that differed from what we were already doing, so we decided to create a new website. Shopify made it easy to design our website, create a product catalog and start selling. Shopify is low-cost but feature rich. They blow away the competition when it comes to launching new, and established E-commerce websites. It took less than 6 months from signing up to selling. Our store has been very successful and I credit that to how easy Shopify made the whole process.

Cons

My only complaint is that we cannot use "Shopify Payments" to process credit cards for our product line. We have to use an external credit card processor and that makes it more expensive. Shopify charges additional fees if you do not use their in house Credit Card Processor, but will not waive fees when they do not allow you to use their processor.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Shopify is the market leader when it comes to E-Commerce software. Using anything else would have been accepting less features and less experience. The other providers are years behind Shopify.

Ricky from Cardax, Inc

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Simple and Easy E-commerce platform!

When we launched our web store back in 2016 we looking for something simple yet robust. After reviewing with several e-platform software we decided to try Shopify and haven't really looked back. I would recommend it to anyone looking to start up their own e-commerce site.

Pros

Love the simplicity of it. Shopify made it was easy to create/build/manage our own web store. The monthly fees are reasonable and the transaction fees are low if you compare it to selling on Amazon. It gives us an alternative platform to sell with the potential for higher margins/profits. In terms of designing your website, Shopify's themes and tools allowed us to create a simple yet elegant web store. On the back end, it's fairly easy and straightforward to manage your store. Shopify also provides a lot of in-depth analytics to help you understand your customers and provide potential insights on how to improve sales. Shopify also integrates seamlessly with our Stitch inventory software which in turn syncs to our Shipstation for shipping (Shopify: front web store > Stitch: inventory software > Shipstation: shipping software). I think for anyone who has the desire to sell online, Shopify is definitely a solution for you.

Cons

1. Managing discount codes can get tricky if you have recurring/subscription orders. Recurring/subscription orders requires a plug-in called Bold and it applies discount codes differently from the Shopify platform (one-time purchases). Meaning if you wanted to have the same discount code, with the same discount applied, and applicable to one-time orders and recurring/subscription order, then that discount codes need to be entered in both Shopify and Bold. The method/calculation to enter in discount codes in both Shopify & bold are different as well. There's just a bit of extra work here. Also, once a Bold discount code is created it cannot be edited once saved. Shopify discount codes are editable after it's created and saved. 2. Another thing about Bold plug-in is when you update an existing recurring/subscription customer's order you can't instantly push an order through. You must wait until it processed through its auto-order process which for us is close to midnight local time. It'll be great if you're on the phone with a customer to have the ability to say the updates are completed, everything looks good, and we've processed the order, and it will be shipped right away. Right now, the quickest you can get the order processed is basically the next day.

Paulo from PristineBliss

Industry: Wholesale

Best way to save time and money in e-com while still having a complete experience

Excellent alternative that saves us a lot of headache and time, and provides our two stores with complete easy-to-install, no-middlemen solutions to convert more.

Pros

First of all, Shopify saves you a lot of time – specially if you're starting your e-com site by yourself and don't have a lot of technical expertise – as it is hugely flexible while being simple to use. Need a theme? There are hundreds of free and paid ones on themes.shopify.com. Multilingual features? Upsell features? All sorts of different marketing and client retention techniques? The Shopify App Store has hundreds of amazing apps. Automation to save you time while fulfilling orders with AliExpress? Oberlo has your back. POD? Printify connects to it. A free logo? hatchful.shopify.com Expert help? experts.shopify.com (plus numerous tutorials on YouTube). Tips? Oberlo's 101. Anyway, it is complete. You don't get that sort of stuff with Magento or WooCommerce.

Cons

The product editor is quite annoying. Sometimes you edit product variations, save it, then seconds/minutes later it goes back to where it was. So you have to keep saving and updating the page depending on what you work. Plus, the Text/HTML editor is not so "rich" as it seems. Constantly having trouble. I recommend using a free alternative HTML editor online and then pasting the code there.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

WooCommerce, although free and more flexible, is better suited for those who either have a lot of technical expertise (or time), and/or have very specific needs. Magento may be too robust for new stores.

Marko from Mana Shop

Shopify Top All in One Tool aber nicht günstig

Shopify ist ein Anfängerfreundliche Software mit der man innerhalb von ein paar Stunden einen professionellen Shops aufstellen kann.

Pros

Man muss kein Experte sein um Shopify nutzen zu können, Shopify gibt einem einen super einfache Toolbox zur verfügung in der schon viel vor eingestellt ist, einfache shop aufsetzung mit kaufabwicklung und durch den Appstore mit vielen zusätzlichen Apps für jeden ist was dabei.

Cons

besonders für den deutschen Markt fehlen mir viele rechtliche dinge, z.b. muss man eigenständig die Häkchen für AGBs und Datenschutz Zustimmungen einsetzen lassen und es ist auch kein richtiges Rechnungssystem hinterlegt somit muss man wieder tief in die Tasche greifen um das mit apps auszugleichen. auch die Transaktionsgebühren für jede einzelne Bestellung kann sich summieren am ende des Monats kann durch die Gebühren ein großer Teil des Gewinns schrumpfen

Schnell, Professionell anmutend, Viel zahl an Apps

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Bei Wordpress ist man 100% auf sich allein gestellt und muss sich bei jedem kleinen Fehler auf die suche machen, das wird bei Shopify durch das starre Gerüst abgedeckt, alles was man noch so brauch liefern die vorgefertigten Apps. Also Programmingskills sind nicht notwendig

Tori from ZipRecruiter

Shopify is a GAMECHANGER if you Run an Ecommerce Business

I don't think we will ever leave Shopify. It's affordable and easy to use - what more could you want from a product that is used to run your business.

Pros

I can't stress enough how much I LOVE Shopify. I run my mom's business for her (an ecommerce site) and we set up the entire thing from scratch, with little knowledge of the platform. They have both free and paid templates to choose from for your site and they are very customizable. The fact that these templates scale to mobile with zero input from us is incredible We've been using it for over 5 years and we couldn't be happier. It is SO easy to use. Their customer support is unmatched - they are open 24 hours and always help us through even the most simple kinds of questions ("how do I upload a new image?"). The inventory feature is great and keeps everything organized. If you sell an item offline, you can easily adjust inventory in your dashboard so no mistakes are made.

Cons

There aren't many things I don't like about Shopify. I think my biggest ask is that there should be more free templates available for use. The Shopify made templates are the best because they integrate seamlessly with the product. For some users, software is a scary thing, so instead of jumping to buy a cooler template, I think users would be responsive to more free templates to try.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

We chose Shopify because of how clean and simple they made the process. It integrates with so many other software that we felt it was a no-brainer.

heather from The Renaissance English History Podcast

Why I chose Shopify (but also use other platforms, too)

I'm a fan - their customer service is excellent, and I've never had any issues with downtime or anything like that.

Pros

I have an online shop to support my podcast on Tudor history. I originally set up my shop thinking I'd sell some fun leggings using print on demand vendors. And it's grown into a bit of a behemoth. Which is great! Here's the thing - lots of creators use Redbubble and Spreadshirt and other places like that, which is fine, but the difference is that when you do that, they handle the entire sales process. This is fine if you don't want to know your customers, but if you're running an online business, then being able to capture that sales information, and get mailing list sign ups, is crucial . You can still use print on demand vendors, only this time you control the entire sales process. Everything is branded for your business. The tags in the leggings are branded for you. The mailing address is your company. It's all yours. Of course, the downside is that you also have to handle the customer service questions that would normally go to the Zazzle equivalent. But if you are really wanting to build a business around your customers, you want that touch point. And you get to keep all the profits. With all the apps, you can have a store that really expresses who you are, and lets you control the entire sales process.

Cons

I'm not a fan of how much is only included in the more expensive options, and how much is only available through paid apps. Of course it's great to have the options at all, but it's very easy to start to run up high bills. At one point I was paying close to $100/mo for all my various apps! I also still use other marketplaces like Etsy because it's the distinction between selling at a church craft fair and setting up your own shop. At the church craft fair you're pretty much guaranteed some kind of traffic. With setting up on your own you have more control over the feel, and ownership of the shop, but it's up to you to go out and get all the traffic.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

To have more ownership over the look and feel of the site. Also, I was tired of apps that weren't all updating properly along with my regular website updates. Each individual aspect was its own plugin that didn't necessarily play nice with my site. For example, to export your orders from Woo that was its own plugin, and the support on that plugin was terrible, and once in 2017 my site updated, but that plugin didn't work anymore with the updated WordPress, and the entire site crashed! Took me three hours on chat support with BlueHost to figure out what it was, and then I had to reactivate all my plugins. Not cool!

Jeremiah from Lunar Solar Group

Hands down the easiest eCommerce platform

I resisted Shopify for a long time because I absolutely love WooCommerce and the concept of open source software. Over the years Shopify has won me over with it's ease-of-use. If your site requires a very high level of complexity, i.e. dynamically generating ebooks, built-in queue technology, sophisticated subscriptions, etc. I'll usually recommend using something like WooCommerce. Or if you literally have zero budget for a website... Otherwise, it's Shopify all the way. Shopify's prices are very fair, it's easy for admins and staff alike to use, and it integrates with all the most critical 3rd party tools. There are very rare cases in which you won't have access to a technology you want, and if that's the case the API is robust enough to allow for a custom developed solution to most of those problems. Shopify is arguably the best overall eCommerce platform, with WooCommerce being the only other system that gives it a real run for its money.

Pros

Shopify is the easiest eCommerce platform and offers an excellent combination of ease-of-use and power. I love WooCommerce (have used it for site builds since 2012), but Shopify has become my new go-to for basic eCommerce builds in recent years. If you know what you're doing you can literally get a simple Shopify site up and running in less than 2 hours. The plugin and theme marketplaces on Shopify are phenomenal. They're not as extensive as the WP plugin marketplaces, but the overall quality is better, making up for the quantity gap. There are still a few holes compared to something like WooCommerce, but Shopify will do 95% of what you could imagine doing on an eCommerce site, and do it easier than anyone else. Stability may be the biggest selling point of Shopify. Because you don't control the server, database, or mid-tier code, the hard maintenance is all done by Shopify automatically. Most serious eCommerce businesses make back their subscription just in the maintenance cost savings.

Cons

Shopify is not nearly as flexible as something like WooCommerce or Magento because you don't have access to the server's backend code or the database. This makes it harder (and sometimes even impossible) to build out really sophisticated solutions to difficult data oriented problems. That said, those kinds of problems are rare and most businesses will be able to find alternative solutions. Shopify is going to run you $30/month+. Compared to a lot of the open source options out there this can feel expensive. Apps can drive that price higher very quickly. For most small businesses they're going to find themselves paying $50-$100/month for the features they need to drive their online sales. If you're willing to go without some functionality (or find a free alternative) you can keep that cost in the $30-$50/month range.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Ease of use and stability. All the other systems require more technical understanding. Even for techy people there's something nice about working with a system that just works.

Trevor from Disruptive Advertising

The only platform I would use for Ecommerce

I work with a lot of websites that are ecommerce-based, and the headaches you'd expect to come with complex ecosystems are so much less frequent with Shopify than they are with Magento, BigCommerce, etc. While other systems frustrate me to a point where I say "eh, I just won't even try to do 'task x' ", Shopify has a simple enough engine and vast enough app store that I feel like very few tasks are insurmountable.

Pros

From startup stores to enterprise solutions, Shopify has a structure that any site can use (and excel with). The templates available give each store a 'custom' feel, and the platform-side checkout solution prevents a lot of hiccups and downtime that would be caused by inexperienced developers trying to manipulate that crucial step in the funnel.

Cons

Lately (fall 2019), Shopify has had quite a bit of downtime. Because they host so many stores, it appears their servers can get overwhelmed during heavy seasons, causing slower responses and even causing stores to crash. Since the stores are all somewhat linked, this can cause issues for a large amount of stores, killing sales and harming customer reputation.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

The simplicity of adding products to Shopify is a must for start-up stores and stores that release new products fast. And for any brand that is primed for growth, the structure behind Shopify is truly the best for scaling, even from a cost perspective.

Lee'Ann from Social Vibe Marketing, Inc.

Shopify is easy to launch and manage

My overall experience has been positive using Shopify as my shopping cart for my store. I felt the transition from Magento was pretty simple - although I did not do the migration that is an option, I ended up starting a brand new site.

Pros

I currently use Shopify for my “side hustle” business - selling retro and vintage style dresses online - www.retrovintagedresses.com I previously used Magento for my shopping cart before switching over to Shopify. I like that it’s an easy platform to get set up on and deploy. Also, I love that you can easily create a catalog on business manager to sell products on Facebook and Instagram. Definitely easy to use.

Cons

I don’t have any cons that I can think of with Shopify. I’ve been using it for over 2 years and have not had any major issues or set backs.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Initially I liked Magento, I thought it was a pretty good fit and the store did really well after launching in the beginning of 2011. Over the next several years, and after discovering some vulnerabilities in Magento (which we were subsequently hacked)we decided that there were better options available - and that’s when we made the switch.

Sarah from ThePaintLine

If you run a shop, you need to use Shopify!

Overall Shopify can be an extremely helpful platform for a company that is running an online store. It makes both the front and back end seamless for everyone. Once I took the time to learn my way around the website I realized that there is so much that Shopify can do, and it makes us running our company a lot easier than if we tried to build an online shop ourselves. Our whole team now utilizes Shopify on a daily basis and we love everything about it, from the retail functions right down to the design.

Pros

I love that we can provide an easy-to-use online store for our customers and seamlessly connect it to everything on the backend. I love the customization that the apps in Shopify provide, and we are utilizing things like shipping & inventory, bundle discounts, upselling, random coupons, email collection, and much more. The number of apps provided makes it easy to find the right one for your store. Our backend support team can easily view and fulfill orders and we can handle customer service right from our site. It's easy to set up and constantly update. I love that Shopify has made running an online store easy for both our management team and customer base.

Cons

Unfortunately since there are so many apps offered, it does take some time to sort through and find the right one for you. Some of them are not as customizable than others, and it can be tough to learn your way around the building platform but luckily Shopify and the app developers have awesome support teams. I'm also not a fan that you can't physically drag and drop widgets on your website like Wix can, and sometimes you need to teach yourself a bit of HTML to edit things (although again, their support team is great for helping with this). However, these are small inconveniences compared to the vast functionality of Shopify.

Randi from Randam LLC

Shopify is Go To for Building Any eCommerce Physical Product Store

Shopify is amazing. Building an e-commerce website on your own or with a developer is ultimately complex. Shopify has made this a simple experience. Building your own eCommerce site typically would require you to pay for a lot of things in all different places such as hosting with GoDaddy and a URL and then you need to buy all this different plugins from different developers. It becomes a headache. Your site can also crash and get buggy as a result. Shopify is an all-in-one solution and will usually never crash unless all of Shopify is under maintenance. It's just a really great software and a must use if you're building an eCommerce website for the first time. You can start with Shopify and most likely find all the features you need to keep your site there for the long haul.

Pros

Shopify allows even a beginner to build a really nice looking, responsive eCommerce site. You offer templates that you know help store owners be more successful. They are already designed really well and someone just needs to switch out elements to make the store their own. You made it easy to buy a domain, a template and hosting all in one place. You also have it easy to setup your sales tax which on platforms like Magento and Wordpress can requires additional plugins that can be a headache. You connect well with distribution channels such as Amazon and eBay and I can manage my inventory quantities all in one place.

Cons

Cons is of course with any DIY software limitations within the software. You also to customize this need to work with developer who really knows Shopify and deep coding experience, versus building a website on Wordpress, millions of developers know wordpress, Shopify has less true experts to choose from.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Just re-iterate before you are an all in one solution and very easy to setup, with high converting templates at your finger tips. Just start an account and plugin your products...

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

When I did Wordpress eCommerce sites I ran into the headaches of needing multiple plugins, plugins need to stay updated or can cause bugs/glitches in your site. My clients sites if not properly maintain ultimately would break so I now use Shopify for all my clients ecommerce needs.

Chelsea from Cass Dickson

Shopify for the win!

I love that shopify will scale with my business and that there are various pricing plans that give you different options and shipping discounts. It's easy to use and has other apps that work with it so I can easily generate line sheets and product catalogues.

Pros

I love that shopify integrates seamlessly into my inventory program, social media accounts, email marketing platform, etc. They also work really well with google ads so you can add products to google shopping and run really effective retargeting ads. Their live view option is great and gives me an idea of where my customers are coming from. Their shipping discounts are also great!

Cons

The only thing that really annoys me is that I can't pick which shipping option comes first. Because one of my shipping options is "local pickup" and is free, I'd rather that not be the default shipping option (a lot of out of town customers accidentally choose local pickup and then I have to contact them and it looks unprofessional). Apart from that, it's a great platform

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Squarespace had BEAUTIFUL templates but it didn't automatically integrate with my inventory program or other accounts. It also didn't auto generate shipping labels so I had to purchase those outside the platform. I spoke with a friend who also runs an e-commerce business and she highly recommended Shopify. Overall, the switch has made my life much easier.

Emeka from Innovation Growth Hub Ltd

Want to start Drop Shipping? Meet Shopify!

Generally, Shopify has been an awesome service. I was able to build many sites with it. Ecommerce and Drop shipping is very easy with Shopify. With Shopify, I didn't have to bother about hosting my store or making my site secure. All these were taken care of by Shopify. It's ease of use for drop shipping is second to none, and I didn't have to be a programmer to enjoy it. The only turn off I had while starting was the initial cost because I wanted to start on a very lean budget. It's ease of use is beautiful. Using Shopify is fun.

Pros

I love many things about Shopify. Honestly, I've not fallen in love with any other alternative as much as I have with Shopify. The pros of Shopify includes: 1. No Hosting required: This is a beautiful part of Shopify. With Shopify, I never had to worry about purchasing a hosting plan. Shopify hosts all merchant accounts on their server. 2. Free SSL: I love this a lot. With some other alternatives, a user may need to purchase an SSL certificate to keep his/her site safe, but not with Shopify. Shopify provides free SSL for all users. 3. Easy to use: With Shopify, I was able to get up and running in about half an hour. No programming skills required. Customising and tweaking everything can be done in about an hour. This is beautiful compared to alternatives. 4. Free trials: Shopify allows a new user to tryout it's services for complete two weeks without paying any money if the user desires. Being curious, I had to try the free service before deciding to make any purchase. 5. Easy to install apps: Shopify have apps to help users add functionalities to their websites. The apps are very easy to install. Their are both free and premium apps on Shopify. 6. Easy payment collection: Shopify has it's own payment system for users. This allows users collect payment for products and services from their customers. The payment processing fee varies from plan to plan. 7. Easy to integrate with drop shipping services: A large chunk of Shopify users are drop shippers. This is a plus.

Cons

Inasmuch as I so much love Shopify, honestly, there are a few turn offs. They include: 1. Expensive: For a starter, Shopify may be very expensive compared to alternatives like woocommerce. With woocommerce, a user can build a free forever ecommerce/ drop shipping site. The user only need to purchase a hosting service and an SSL certificate if need be. 2. Some apps are not available: I opted to using another payment gateway other than Shopify's. The issue I had was that I couldn't find the app for my desired payment processor on the App store. By this, I was compelled to use another payment processor. 3. Premium Apps: Shopify apps helps users add features to their websites. The con here is that many of the apps are premium apps, and should be paid for. This means that apart from the money one have to pay to use Shopify, the one still need to pay some more to have his/her desired apps installed. This can be a turn off for newbies, and others users. Apart from those cons, Shopify is a beautiful app to use.

Jay from www.ipigeon.institute

The Shopify platform is a richly supported online and retail solution

I've attended a Shopify master class speaker event, done some studying along a roadmap towards certifications on the platform, and I've begun some nominal work upon creating web stores as a developer seeking to start establishing an E-commerce and brand management solution.

Pros

There are many aspects to the Shopify software platform, including 3rd party app development, e-commerce, retail Point-of-Sale hardware, affiliate programs for referring merchants, professional learning articles and paths to professional certifications of the Shopify platform. In addition, the Shopify experience, for users, admins, developers, partners, etc. is richly engaging with Shopify retail store events, here in downtown Los Angeles. Shopify's retail store presence features master classes from professionals who have successfully launched brands and online and physical stores using Shopify's technology and features, as well as their own third party establishments which integrate nicely within the Shopify platform.

Cons

There's a high learning curve to establishing a professional web presence in an E-commerce setting, and many steps and lessons to learn along the way, but for dedicated developers and entrepreneurs, the Shopify app is a truly viable tool for establishing an E-commerce web presence.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

It seemed that there are much more well-established marketing campaigns and user engagement with the Shopify platform.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Google Domains offers various development platforms out from their custom website domain purchase and management solution, of which I first chose Blogger, yet I find that Shopify is richly supported with a local retail setting that features productive and engaging events to burgeon professional efforts in gaining an E-commerce web store presence, as well as handling many other development concerns of starting a web store.

Vy from Literary Lip Balms

Industry: Cosmetics

User-friendly platform that covers (almost) all your e-commerce needs

Shopify is still my first pick after almost a decade working with E-commerce, but with a much lesser margin than before. Squarespace and Wix offer, in my opinion, good alternatives if you don't want to put up with constantly wondering "Why isn't this function in place? Oh, I have to install an app and pay X$ every month". I would recommend Shopify for those who don't require a lot beyond the standard E-commerce solution and/or won't mind paying a bit for some pro templates and apps.

Pros

Shopify is extremely user-friendly and easy to set up. It's intuitive even if you've never used an e-commerce platform before, and you're able to get by with no coding skills. The basic templates are plain, but professional and modern. Basically it covers everything you need to get started with an online business, the pricing model is fair, and there's a wealth of 3rd party plugins and templates if you require something beyond the standard functionalities.

Cons

Though I've put the 3rd party marketplace as a benefit, I'm also left with the feeling that it comes with a hidden downside. Basic functions such as bundling and customer messages on an order (which, to give an example, Etsy offers) requires a 3rd party plugin with Shopify. After so many years in the industry, I'm baffled as to why this hasn't been implemented by default. The only reason I can think of is, why would they? Customers are forced to buy an app, which makes more money for Shopify. Another pet peeve example: You cannot use more than 1 discount code unless you install an app. Which means, you can't put 10% off the entire site, and offer customers an additional discount with a code.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

I chose Shopify because the pro templates had functions I required (unlike Squarespace), the standard pricing and fees were fair (unlike Etsy), and because I wanted it to be fast and easy to maintain.

Brendon from Ecommerce & Digital Marketing

With all the gold standard tools for eCommerce, Shopify is fastest road to launch.

I have been rapidly deploying eCommerce customers, and they have been quite pleased with the handover. I love watching them take ownership of all the intuitive tools - the burden of training has decreased exponentially.

Pros

Shopify is a fully managed platform on the software level. Things just work all the time. No hosting hassles, code bugs, no downtime.

Cons

Certainly feels overpriced if you can launch an equivalent WooCommerce store for close to free. I don't like how their pricing model is based on access to modifying the checkout process. Templating is a new language based on the Shopify variables,

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Shopify came across as the most quick to implement, and our fulfillment house had a boxed integration ready for it.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Magento is a clunky, feed-the-developers beast, which is hard to learn and harder to maintain, and the community edition is good for a laugh...as long as you are not the one using it...

Jamie from NuSoft Solutions

Amazing eCommerce platform for novices and developers alike!

Pros

I've been running an eCommerce shop for 5 years on Shopify. Easy setup and easy import of products from a CSV file. The app store has a large variety of free and paid plugins that deal with all the edge cases and shortcomings of Shopify. I've been able to import multiple other platforms and convert a Shopify store in a matter of hours. The user interface is intuitive and simple to navigate. In the last few years, adding channels to sell on such as Houzz and Facebook have made a big difference in being able to get visibility into our products. The ability to quickly change themes and customize using the Liquid language is quite nice for developers using this product.

Cons

The pricing between the middle tier and advance is a big leap. The middle tier plan only allows 5 staff accounts, which can be limited, to people using development consultants and virtual staff. The ability manage redirects (from a previous site) is limited but can be fixed by using a paid app from the Shopify app store.

Good tool to manage commerce easily

Pros

Shopify is a very good to manage you ecommerce even if you don't have many departments or people helping you our with your online store. To start, it is very intuitive, both the front end and the back end part. It guides you through all the process to creating the layout of your website offering multiple templates, product pages, descriptions to the payment processing to the shipping options parts. You can do all by yourself without needing much experience. This tool offers different plans, so make sure to read and choose the one that fits better with your business model. All plans allows you to upload products with no limits. Plans focus on number of accounts and other shop features. What I like more about Shopify, is that it offers their own payment platform (with many options) so no need to bother with an external provider if you don't have one. If you do, you can integrate it too. Shopify also offers the possibility to calculate taxes according to the country and the possibility to restrict your shipping area. Some features are a bit limited but you can find many options/plug ins on the marketplace. Needless to say, just be sure to give a check of all the features of the website everytime you install a plug in.

Cons

This tool offers the possibility of create an ecommerce easily, but if you are looking for something more customizable or for a big site, you might want to check other options too. The only blocker I have found so for is the possibility to calculate taxes not only on country level but on product/group level automatically. This would be very helpful for online stores that manage multi tax items

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

We have change this product as it tool to long to upload the Homepage which lead us to loose visitors

I use Shopify for all my Ecommerce Businesses

I built both shopify stores from scratch without prior knowledge and it took me about a full week to get the hang of things. I would make adjustments as I could to help convert customers. I still feel like it's the best place to only sell products but still a bit costly to make a really nice design. I now hire virtual assistants to make all the changes on the site and manage it but that can cost too so it's great there are API's to help grow the business, which all cost more money though, some are free (Reddit, pinterest). Overall, I will still use the software.

Pros

Sleek designs, easy to use, easy to keep track of products and sales, great third party API integrations and marketing software, and simple to run. Many Virtual Assistants already know how to use this software which makes life very easy for me. The simpler, the better. I have several shopify stores and I aim to make passive income in this realm.

Cons

Templates are limited, a lot of the development is backend yet I'm a visual person so I like to see everything as I'm doing it, and it can get a little overwhelming with all the integrations needed to turn a Shopify store into a massive profitable business. I feel like the best templates cost too much money and the ones we are offered look basic and not easily customizable. It could use a better blog feature section and a bit more visual aspects such as videos to help pitch or promote the business. Maybe even used for online courses with private logins would be great.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Shopify is specifically built to convert and make money in the e-commerce world and this is what I'm interested in. However I'd like a more complete software allowing me to pair an actual website (consulting, online courses, etc...) to this to make me full appreciate it.

Judah from Canon Solutions America

OK but MUCH room for improvement

2014 = great 2018 = terrible I would encourage rep. to contact me.

Pros

When I first signed up for Shopify 4-5 years ago I thought it was the best thing to happen to ecommerce. Gurus were knowledgeable and accessible (via phone!), the product worked beautifully and it met my needs. Now that my business has grown and I'm finding that Shopify is not set up to handle a business of high growth. Shopify has grown so fast that the average conversation with a Guru has dropped from outstanding to barely acceptable. Most of the time, the I know more than the Gurus. Follow up from the gurus is also terrible. You can still reach them by phone but if you need to speak to someome in the company with more experience, you can only access them via email and they take FOREVER to get to you. So you can forget about getting any help from someone with real knowledge of the product. The native functionality is also only good for very basic businesses. For example, if you need to ship a single item in multiple boxes, you can forget about doing that natively in the app or taking advantage of their discounted shipping rates. If you want to get a custom app built, you can forget about getting any support on the API from the gurus because they don't know anything about API. Again, there is no escalation point for customers who have a higher level of needs. Want help from the Shopify Expert community? You can forget about being called and speaking to someone local. Most won't do it, I've tried. If you get a response, the best you'll get is an email that reads something alo

Cons

ng the lines of "I can do this for you." and it's from someone on the other side of the world that has no clue about you, your business, your country or it's customs. I could go on and on but in summary, I am HIGHLY disappointed with the level of support and in 4 years have gone from a loyal, enthusiastic customer to a highly disgruntled customer looking for new options.

Brandon from Energy Training Resources

Very easy to get started with advanced features for those who need it

For the price of the software, it is hard to complain about anything. It is super easy to set up and manage, tons of usability and plugins for advanced features, great customer service.

Pros

Shopify is very easy to get started with. It practically holds your hand with simple shops and the plugins make for a robust software that almost anyone can make use of. I use it primarily for selling eLearning courses. Shopify has plugins available for most LMS software. Simply connect the LMS to Shopify with a plugin, input the course identifier, with my LMS it is a string of numbers and letters that is unique to each course, then set the price and start selling. When you sell a course through Shopify, the purchaser automatically gets login information for the LMS and is automatically assigned the course they purchased. Shopify has a couple of options for setting up a shop. The first option, which is the easiest, is to create a storefront within Shopify that is like a website, just for your store. It is very easy to pick a theme and then just type in the information. The storefront through Shopify looks very professional and is worth it if you just need a simple storefront. The second option is the buy button, which I use for my companies website. This way, if you already have a website, you can just use Shopify to generate a code that will give you a button to place on your website. There are other options I rarely use such as generating a code for email which is similar to the buy button but I am sure it would be very useful for those wishing to email out their products. There are so many plugins to sell different ways that there would be too much to post in this review. The customer service is top-notch. They respond quickly and when I needed something, they worked with me until it was resolved. The last customer service need I had took a few tries to get everything going but they kept at it until it was fixed.

Cons

The only con I have is for a lot of the advanced usage, you will need plugins for anything beyond selling simple items, like I said before, this is a pro but it can be a con at the same time. Some of the plugins are simple and free but a lot have an extra cost to either purchase the plugin or a monthly fee to use the plugin. The creators of the plugins do need the pay, that is understandable, but most are out of small businesses', like my company's, budget.

Shopify is a Clean, Responsive E-commerce Solution

Helped a friend setup multiple online businesses.

Pros

If you want to stick to just basics and you need a clean, responsive E-commerce site, then Shopify is for you. No programming knowledge is required and there are many fine templates to choose from, and you can always find more. If you are interested in starting online, Shopify is a good choice because it offers a PCI compliant and secure shopping cart and payment gateway solution. Adding products to Shopify is surprisingly fast and easy but you are limited to 100 Variants. Shipping integration with USPS, UPS and Fedex is included and integrates with many popular software via Add ons. Things like email marketing, product feeds, and popups are easy to find and setup. And you can export your products to Google, and setup customer reviews with some other add ons. Having all these extra with add ons is both good and bad, and customers should be aware of the small downsides to Shopify.

Cons

Most things come included, however any extra customization requires some kind of add-on with monthly charge. Thankfully they have a good amount of add-ons to choose from, but most have fake reviews. Shopify much like other modern shopping carts is unable to store credit cards, out of the box. If your business needs to charge a customer for re-shipping, you have to create an invoice each time using an addon or creating a new order. Customer support is responsive but very general, but the basic Shopify will suit most small business owners. I am however not like most people, and like more customization. You cannot customize things too much other than what templates and add ons offer. Development on Shopify is highly difficult and goes above and beyond html / css however you can make some small changes like adding an image, or a link, a variable, or a tracking script with a look in their help center.

Andrew from Bindle Coffee

Increase sales with Shopify

We have used Shopify to sell coffee online for over 5 years. After looking at other similar platforms, Shopify had the best eCommerce and shipping integrations out there. In 5 years we've seen a lot of improvements in efficiency and ease of use. The Templates selections are awesome, and you can really easily make a website that represents your company, and increase your sales.

Pros

I like how easy Shopify is to set up. We use Shopify for our online store, and the integration with shipping and the Shop Pay network is crucial! There are so many apps and features you can add, you can really get Shopify to work for your specific needs. We use Shopify every day to increase sales from our brick and mortar store.

Cons

Sometimes the image quality gets compressed or the colors get messed up upon import. I wish Shopify had a better file system for product images that would help size them and make sure they're correct right inside the browser. You really have to have your product images perfect before import., which can be challenging sometimes.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

We chose Shopify because of the eCommerce and Shipping integrations.

Shreyank from Salt By the Caza Project Ltd.

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

Best Ecommerce Platform for Startup Business !

My current job is as a Shopify web developer and I almost use it Shopify daily for all of the store operations and website development. It is quite easy to develop products for clients and setting up the store since they have some amazing tutorials and once you get used to it, it will be easier to get along with the process. I will definitely suggest Shopify for any startup business or for any online business company since they have some amazing features which make your website eye-catching and user-friendly with easy navigation.

Pros

It's very easy to set up an online store without any hassle with coding, one can easily start their business and grow their business accordingly. They have a lot of apps and themes published by talented developers which is really helpful in online shopping experience. So, Ease in setting up and selling is one can desire from any e-commerce Software.

Cons

Some features like collections, navigation is still not so easy and hard for the beginner to understand. Although, they have lots of tutorials and guides and a huge community to support which makes it easier as well.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Wordpress is also an eCommerce platform but to set up and develop a business is not as beginner-friendly as Shopify is. Shopify have a great tutorials and forums of developers ready to help in almost anything. While with Wordpress as a developer I find a bit difficult compared to I learned with Shopify.

Brady from Paddywax

The Best Solution for eCommerce-Focused Brands

Overall, my experience has been great! Sales have gone up since we moved to Shopify and it's easy to learn and teach to new employees!

Pros

The management and selling of products is the focus of this platform, and it nails it on that front. The backend order management, checkout process, and fulfillment processes are super easy to use.

Cons

If you want to make a beautiful site with custom-feeling pages, Shopify might not be for you. The homepage is relatively customizable but beyond that there isn't much flexibility unless you know how to code.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

At the time, it had more fully-fleshed out eCommerce features.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

NetSuite's eCommerce solution was absolutely atrocious and hard to use, and the front end user experience was even worse.

Igor from AmazoniaPPC

If you're starting an online ecommecte business Shopify is a Go to!

Shopify is awesome for online selling no matter if your shop is small or a big one. You can keep it with few products only or you can scale it to thousands. Additional plans are available for more in depth reporting and functionalities too.

Pros

I like the fact that Shopify team did a great job in making it easy to setup and use. You can literally set it up in minutes, get yourself around in hours and be up and selling in a day. Another awesome thing is that Shopify is integrated with almost everything out there, you name it. There are tons of free and paid apps that extend the functionality and/or simplify things. User interface is already optimized for optimal user experience and shopping so no need to worry there too.

Cons

The least, and probably the only thing I don't like in Shopify is the traffic source attribution. Now, this is something that will bother you when you are already gaining some pretty good sales and want to know more about where the traffic is coming from. Is it because of some blog post you've made? Is it because of the Facebook campaign? Is it from Google Ads or pure organic traffic? Now those are good problems to have to be honest, but when it comes to that I've experienced a lot of issues in determining those details. There are number of reports to give you an insight where the traffic is coming from, but to my personal preferences I find it lacking in details. Again, if this is something that is ok with you, go for it you will not regret it.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Easy of use and simplicity. UX optimized frontend and backend.

Stephen from Ginsu Graphics

Shopify Can Kickstart Your Business

I intially really liked the Shopify setup and I still think it's great for a general audience who doesn't have the ability to build on Wordpress. It is completely focused on bringing your e-commerce site to market and overall makes this easier for people who want to try and do it themselves. However, once I really began wanting to develop my site further I found the limitations, monthly expense and overall satisfaction did not meet my needs. If you intend to grow into a much larger store with the ability to truly customize your site then it's better to not start on Shopify to begin with. If you have a small store and are likely to remain that way and don't need a ton of customization then it is an amazing platform with a lot of options.

Pros

Shopify offers an incredible opportunity to get your e-commerce business started. They have developed a format that encompasses almost everything you need to build your business and sell on the internet. Tons of template options for you to choose what you want your store to look like and integration with 3rd party apps allows you to achieve most goals.

Cons

It's a little complicated to use intially and it is a proprietary platform. This means that if you don't know how to code you will be paying someone to make any changes to your site that the templates don't accomodate. It also means that if you ever want to move your store to another platform, you can't. I'm a web developer who uses Wordpress daily and found the ability to completely customize Shopify difficult and expensive. You are limited to plugins that are available for Shopify and there are not nearly as many as there are for Wordpress so many of those options can be quite expensive.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

At the time Wix was not well suited to e-commerce and did not integrate with POD suppliers. It lacked the framework to easily build a proper e-commerce store. Shopify offered a more complete e-commerce friendly package that built in a lot of the necessary tools.

Flutra from Solaborate LLC

Best e-Commerce store

Simply love the DIIIIINGGGG on my phone when I get a sale :) Honestly, it is quite easy to use it and lots of material on the help center plus I was positively surprised with their technical support, on many occasions they were very professional and very helpful. Add shipping costs for all the countries is kind of painful hopefully you guys will make some option to add the same rule for all the countries or something, at the moment we are using a plugin for that but would prefer the option available on Shopify

Pros

The best part about the Shopify is that allows you to code on the offered themes, but even if you are not an advanced developer their support is always there to guide every step of the way.

Cons

One thing that hopefully is soon going to be fixed is to be able to track the sales in more details and also be able to tell if the order is fraudulent or not. But for the latter, they come up with a good solution, not the ideal one but it gives me comfort.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

Chose Shopify because of its features compared to BigCommerce Shopify is way more advanced and quite frankly way more affordable.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Amazon was making impossible to sell with so many bugs and so many rules, they basically are stealing from sellers all over the world.

Jaron from Utah Maids

I have successfully built 5+ websites with Shopify

Pros

If you want to build an ecommerce website and you have little to no experience with web development, then Shopify is your place to go. Anybody can easily get something set up in less than a day and begin selling immediately. I have created multiple websites on Shopify for myself and it is a very user-friendly platform with a lot of basic functionality that you will need in your business. Shopify can automate many steps in the process of selling products, and it will also act as a central hub for all your customer and product information. If I wanted to set up a website from scratch or piecing together other applications, it would take a lot of time and proabably cost me a lot more than the monthly cost of Shopify.

Cons

Shopify is perfect for getting you going and it's great if you have a pretty standard and straightforward product line. If, however, you need to have some kind of a custom made function on your website, it's possible you can run into some hurdles. Shopify is in a tricky situation where they are trying to cater to those with little tech skills, but also needs to be able to work well with those that DO have the tech skills and want to customize things. One thing that is frustrating with Shopify is you're limited in certain ways when it comes to customizing website themes. You also are not allowed to upload your own theme. You must purchase the theme through Shopify. You are limited in your ability to customize the checkout page on your website.

Ryan from Rebagg

It is a good software- would recommend to try it out

Pros

Good UI but some of the simple options available with other ecommerce products are unavailable or cost extra. For example, if you want to calculate shipping for each item (as opposed to a flat shipping charge) you have to pay extra monthly. Also, you cannot adjust image sizes. If you want a different size image for the category page and the product page, you have to upload 2 images.

Cons

This may be a good platform to start your online experience with, despite the high fees.However, I've run into an unexpected hurdle that I can not seem to resolve. I have had a chargeback (stolen credit card) from an order. It was settled, I had to pay out of my pocket. After I covered the chargeback willingly to keep my store operating, they froze my orders and would not let my money out of my account. They have started a fraud investigation on me, and requested my re-seller agreements and shipping and tracking information for my latest orders, which I produced promptly. This is not the frustrating part. I understand the importance of security and fraud prevention and would assist in any way I can to resolve the issue. It has now been two weeks since I submitted all the required information for review, and I have not heard anything back. No, we've received it and it's in review no we need more information. NOTHING. I have been calling back and they would not let me talk to the person who requested the information from me, because he is either out of the office, or we are unable to transfer your call directly to him. I have sent many emails directly to the investigator, starting off with nice and progressively more frustrated, but still professional and non-offensive.

John from Narrow Gauge & Industrial

Industry: Publishing

Experiences from using Shopify over 5 years

I would give shopify top marks if it wasn't for the duplicate customer issue. Had I know about it I would never have chosen it in the first place.

Pros

It is very flexible and does most things for a simple shop using the free themes and apps, however you will need IT skills to customise it further - or pay for specialised apps. It is fairly easy to manage customers and orders using online or the POS application.

Cons

The major omission is the inability to merge customer accounts - which often happens when customers change email or mistype when placing orders. What is worse is that this has been requested by many many merchants for over seven years via multiple support and feature requests and in a dozen or so threads on the community forum and shopify have simply ignored it. As I run a primarily magazine subscription business having a clean customer database is essential.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

At the time it seemed to provide all that I needed and good value for money.

Chelsee from Pawstruck.com

Highly recommend for all eCommerce

I can't imagine using any other platform for our website/sales home base. We actually acquired another company using a different platform for their website and are looking to migrate as soon as possible.

Pros

Shopify is both simple and powerful. An individual could easily set it up on their own, but there are lots of options and great features if you have a team/experience.

Cons

While you can achieve most things via the various apps that are available, there is some functionality that seems like it should be available natively in Shopify. For instance, there isn't built-in functionality for customers to filter products while browsing. If you have more than just a few products, this is very necessary. You can take care of it with apps, but it would nice if things like this were available from Shopify out of the box.

Reasons for Switching to Shopify

Magento was difficult to use and super manual. For a company that doesn't have an in-house developer or IT team, this was a huge issue.

Vishal from Pipe dreams store / dolla9 store / etc

Best E-commerce platform in the market

I have tried several similar platforms but Shopify is hands down the best E-commerce platform in the market. Definitely will recommend to all new entrepreneurs who are trying to learn drop shipping.

Pros

Shopify is the best platform for drop shipping and also for retailers who want to take their shop online. Anyone with no previous experience with web designing can also easily set up a shop and start selling globally. The dashboard is very user friendly and they also have tips and instructions displayed upfront to help you set up easily. It also has a 14 day trial that allows you to set up things and check out if your products are working. The customer service team is also quick to respond, I was not able to attach my card to one of my stores due to some issues with my bank and when I informed them that I was not able to take my shop online because of this and the trial period was about to come to an end and they extended the trial for me in just one request made via email. Once your website is set up it also has additional applications to help you add inventory, up sell products, send automatic emails, track orders, basically all that you will ever need to run an online store is taken care off all under one platform. I would rate it 10/10

Cons

Shopify has no cons to be honest. Everything works fine from the day you set it up and you do not need to patch or upgrade anything ever. The basic fee per month is also money well spent for all the amazing features. Its all just upto you to market your products and get sales to keep ur shop running.

Berry from Crystal Joys

Shopify Perks & Shortcomings

Overall, Shopify is the clear leader in their industry. Do they have shortcomings? Sure. But compared to their competitors, the shortcomings are few and far between. After all, no system will ever be exactly perfect to your unique business unless you decide to build your own software which comes with the glitches and lack of functionality that building your own software entails.

Pros

AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE. Shopify is entirely unparalleled in this regard. Their live chat option is not only convenient but staffed by PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! They are not an outside tech support and it is clear how well each of them is versed in the system and its capabilities. Another amazing feature about Shopify is the plethora of apps that are available in order to customize your system (many of which are free!). This means that if Shopify is lacking in any way in terms of your particular business needs, there is definitely an app for it.

Cons

1. They dont allow for multiple warehouses/locations in their inventory system! 2. They dont allow for cost of goods (COGs) vs. Retail pricing in their system which means it is completely useless for any inventory management or accounting needs 3. Their inventory system doesn't have an "inventory taking" system built in which means it has to be done manually (NOT an option for anyone who has ever had to actually manage an inventory. which i assume is ALL of us) Overall, their shortcomings are ENTIRELY within the inventory department which is such an essential aspect of running a business and book keeping.

Jennifer from Hellhound Leather Company, LLC

Best Value for your Money

Pros

Shopify provides you with the solid framework to create a successful webstore very easily and for a good value. The templates they have available are reasonably priced and allow you, if you have an eye for design and a head for layout and organization, to make a very high quality and professional looking webstore with only a little effort. I really appreciate that Shopify provides a "all in one solution" for small businesses like mine to manage their web presence. Shopify has the basic reporting I need (at the basic level, advanced reports are available with bigger plans) and integrates with many apps for reviews and customization and planning and management etc. Shopify also provides you with your code base so that you can REALLY customize if you have a programmer at your disposal. However, I LOVE that it CAN be an all in one solution for anyone with basic computer skills. Their customer service, the two times I needed help, was responsive and helpful - so thats another plus. Without Shopify we couldn't have gotten our business off the ground - so we can't say enough good. I've tried both Wix and Big Commerce, but for an easy to use and fair priced website - Shopify is the BEST value for your dollar, hands down!

Cons

I really don't have many complaints. I wish I had more access to certain reporting features, but I CAN have access if I choose to upgrade my plan. But thats on me, not Shopify, because I choose to stay at the basic plan. There was one day, in the last six months, where they seemed to have trouble processing and loading and hosting my site -- but one day in six months isn't bad.

Dave from Soaring Eagle LLC

Is Shopify A Good E-Commerce Platform?

I have nothing but good experiences to now with Shopify. There have been times when we had to enlist the support team to work through issues, and they were there every time to get things right fast. That is why I still maintain stores on the Shopify platform.

Pros

I have used Shopify for some of my e-commerce stores for 18 months and have had a good experience with the platform. It is very easy to set-up and gets to the business of selling quickly. For the new person who is entering the e-commerce online marketing segment, that will help a lot. Rather than working through the challenges of setting up a website and designing it so it works well, you have a ready solution and can upgrade later as you gain experience with widgets and add-ons that will work seamlessly with the platform and help you sell more.

Cons

I do think that over time the costs go up too much for using the platform. Initially, it will not cost much, but as you grow your business, the monthly costs will go up for using the platform and any add-ons that you may use. This is not really a con in some way since you are going to be earning more. It is something that the entrepreneur needs to be aware of and plan for. As in any business, there is a cost for having the resources you need.

Reasons for Choosing Shopify

I used a combination of the three platforms, and have stuck with all three. Having 18 months of experience using each, I can say that Shopify is the easiest to start with, but more expensive to maintain and operate over time.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 3,656 reviews