Browse Affinity Designer Reviews

Abraham from ImageMaker Advertising Inc.

Industry: Mining & Metals

Best Alternative for Adobe Illustrator

Overall, I am very happy with this app because I can finally work on vectors and graphic designs without worrying about monthly fees. It is so cheap and powerful. This is definitely the best alternative for Adobe Illustrator.

Pros

I was an avid user of Adobe Illustrator before they changed into a subscription model. When I learned about Affinity Designer, I grabbed it immediately without second thoughts. It works great and has all the features and tools I need for my work and business. You just have to pay once and you get all future updates for life! Also, their mobile app comes free after your purchase. How cool is that? The app can be used on desktops and/or tablets. I have tried it on my iPad Pro and it's really fun to use, though I'd still prefer working on a computer. The price is so cheap and hard to beat. I will never look back after using this software for almost 5 years. I am now a fan and I highly recommend this app.

Cons

There is nothing to dislike with this software. I never had any issues or crashes so far. I love it!

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I made the switch because of pricing. Adobe charges monthly while in Affinity Designer, you just have to pay once and it is yours for life! Also, everything is pretty the same, the functionality and tools. Switching to this app is pretty straightforward.

Alexandre from MANDRAGORE SAS

December 2021

The best design software ever

- Fast development for my customers - For any visit card design or else, it's very immersive

Pros

I've been using affinity for about 3 years. It's soooo easy so great and mostly, SO QUICK ! I love designing with this software ! User experience is very cool, the customization is amazing. And the price it's like we give it to you ! I can only recommend that software !

Cons

Sometimes, I need to go to Illustrator for some specific features such as color overall management or width modification. Anyway, there are a lot of innovative feature on Illustrator that i'd love to see on affinity.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

Better UX Less expensive User friendly Immersive Beautiful Ease of use Very quick

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

For the features listed above

Simon from Designer.

Not fit for purpose

Not really a finished app I have been trying to integrate Affinity Designer into a professional workflow for a number of years now but I've come to the conclusion that it's just too painful and there is nothing to indicate that this will improve. Back when I first purchased this app the developers were promising a roadmap of future improvements which would bring it closer to some of the industry-standard vector apps out there. It's been two years now and not a single thing on that list has been implemented. The few updates which have come down the line have focused on things like the app icon. The developers have moved on to other projects, and it seems to me that for all intents and purposes, development on this software has been abandoned. I wouldn't wish to speculate if this software will even be supported in a few years. So we're left with an app which lacks some of the most fundamental vector editing tools. With the exception of skew, vectors cannot be distorted in any way (including perspective) and it even lacks a knife tool. These are tools which are actually provided by many free editors. Furthermore, many tools are very poorly implemented. Convert to curves produces hilariously unusable results and things like Offset Path simply don't exist. The developers themselves are notoriously unresponsive to please for further development. Since going cross-platform there have been many reports of Designer's instability and since the implementation of Apples Metal API

Pros

It's cheap, although it still remains less powerful that some free apps

Cons

Development seems to have ground to a halt on this app. Investing time and energy learning could be a waste of time as it may not be around in the future.

December 2021

Asfak from Alesha Solutions Ltd.

Best Vector Design software in a Cheaper price

Overall, I am happy with this product. It comes with a perceptual purchase plan. I can do my 80% of design in affinity designer. I wish they add features like shape builder tool, Image tracer soon. Then, It will be the best Adobe Illustrator Competitor.

Pros

The interface is less complicated. Layer management is awesome. It supports non-destructive editing for both vector & pixel editing. It supports live preview while changing any properties like colour, font & effects of the design.

Cons

There is no image tracing option. Lacking of Shape builder tool, pattern tool, real vector brush tool made this software hard to recommend to others.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

These alternatives were nearly prefect for me. But they weren't a prefect fit for my purpose. Although, affinity designer is not fully feature packed but is ticks all the boxes I want.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

The affordability was the main reason to switch. Moreover, I never need the extra options provided by Adobe Illustrator. Inkscape was not capable of CMYK colour print. On the other hand, Affinity was the prefect match for me considering these issues.

Jens from Jens Krebs Limited

IMO the Best Vector Editing Software on the Market

Fabulous. I bought the software in 2014 when it was first released and Serif has supplied free upgrades for almost seven years now (bringing it from version 1.0 to 1.9). It's super easy to learn when you come from competing software and because it's newly developed it doesn't carry the heft of many, many years of old code and compatibility issues around (looking at you, Illustrator!).

Pros

It's modern, FAST (in capitals), easy to use, affordable and regularly updated. Also, Affinity Designer (and it's companion applications Photo and Publisher) are available on both Windows and macOS with 100% file compatibility; In addition there is an iPad edition available, again with 100% compatible files and great drawing features for Apple Pencil.

Cons

The management of ,global colours' and 'normal colours' needs some getting used to. Once you know how it works, it works well, but it's a bit different than I expected.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

The two reasons I chose Affinity Designer over other evaluated software: - There is two more products in the suite (Affinity Photo and Publisher) and "working seamlessly together" is an understatement (StudioLink basically melts the three applications into one) - Out of the three products I looked at Affinity Designer is the one with the best export options for print-ready PDF documents

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I switched because Affinity Designer comes at a one-off price and the software I used before switched to a subscription model. The other software I used before that was not available on macOS (it is now, but runs really, really badly).

Emily from Cute Moose Merch

Absolutely Incredible

Affinity has hit every expectation and then some. Absolutely a dream come true and a great program. I love working with their design programs. I used their competitors programs but made the switch as soon as I saw how amazing it is.

Pros

Real-time changes during designing and editing. Ability to work in vector or raster in the same application. NO SUBSCRIPTIONS Convert files into anything you need even for other design programs of other brands. Quick exporting with a preview and many options. Works amazingly on tablets and desktops. Easy to download more brushes, typefaces, and anything else you need. Now integrated with copyright-free photo services like pixabay, pexles, and unsplash. Everything is fantastic and I cannot recommend this enough.

Cons

Doesn't like the corner tool at times. Wish Affinity had a cloud-like service that could download and keep files you're working on available when you switch devices.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Affinity does not have a subscription fee. Affinity Designer has all of the tools Illustrator has but they are fresh and better. Affinity Designer has more options and is easier to use as well. Adobe is going downhill while their prices go up.

Steve from NetTekl Ltd

Great alternative the Adobe Illustrator

I use a lot, especially when designing stuff for softball t-shirts or for laser engraving.

Pros

Great set of features and sensible pricing, updated regularly

Cons

Sometimes doesn't export how you'd expect in all formats

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

It works and got used to the workflow, works in the same fashion for all Affinity products (Photo, Publisher)

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

When they went cloud and subscription based, Affinity products are a one off fee

Janet from Zaibatsu Interactive

Industry: Computer Games

Great value for a low price

Easy to get into and affordable.

Pros

Definitely the price. Affinity Designer is a rival for Adobe's Photoshop and it offers a much more reasonable one-time payment than Adobe's subscription service, which most will complain is even difficult to cancel. Using the vector persona was super easy for someone who hadn't done that type of art before. The fact that the pixel and vector persona are separated but in the same program is also pretty neat.

Cons

At this point, I have no complaints. Affinity Designer is a wonderful substitute for Adobe's products, which is what I assume most people are looking for.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Adobe's subscription model is expensive and cancelling can be frustrating.

C.J. from Positive Return Group LLC

You pay for what you get

It is good for what it is, but I felt as paid software they could have had more functionally

Pros

Well cost was a factor, ease of use, simple UI

Cons

Lack of needed features. The layers functionality was confusing No auto trace which was the huge disappointment for us

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

AD was the middle of the road. Inkskape was free but a hassle and adobe cost much more

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Need more from the software

Andrés from Blanko SRL

Industry: Packaging and Containers

An Illustrator for me

I started using Affinity Designer because is a smaller app than others than do practically the same for me.

Pros

Affinity Designer is light, fast and new. When I say it's light is because it's much lighter than it's competitors and updates are not a headache. Is faster than others trying to do simple tasks. Some products I have used are lagging when trying to do a font search. It's new, and that it's the best feature of all. Affinity Designer came out to the market as a fair competitor to Illustrator. Oh, yes...it also works with Creative Cloud files.

Cons

Full of bugs, I hope they could fix them soon. It doesn't have a great community online (YouTube videos, discussion blogs, etc), it's not as popular as Illustrator or Corel Draw.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Affinity Designer is lighter and faster. It sure doesn't have all the things that Illustrator offers, but it works for me.

Vanita from Self-Employed

Great low cost alternative to Adobe Illustrator.

Pros

Affinity designer is a one-time purchase; no subscription is needed. The user interface is simple which makes it easy to learn and master. You can switch between vector and pixel designs by clicking a button. It is also easy to create swatches and custom brushes.

Cons

Affinity Designer is not cross-platform. I had to purchase a separate Affinity Designer for my Dell laptop and iMac.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Adobe Illustrator requires a subscription. Once my Creative Cloud subscription ended, I no longer had access to Illustrator. Affinity Designer allowed me to purchase and own the software at an affordable price with free updates for life.

Leighton from Gunnar Wickstrom Studios

Excellent alternative to Adobe Illustrator

With the exception of a few missing features and performance issues that would be nice to have, the experience has been excellent.

Pros

Affinity Designer is very affordable alternative that does most things as well as Adobe Illustrator (and a few things it does even better!) The UI is actually more intuitive than Illustrator in most ways, and those who come from Photoshop or Illustrator will have absolutely no problems adjusting to it. Affinity Designer is perfect for UI design, and illustration.

Cons

Unfortunately Affinity Designer is missing some of the more advanced features available in Illustrator, though none of these will be a deal-breaker for most users. The Affinity suite of apps also seems to have some (mostly non-critical) issues with memory management. Complex files can cause the software to become rather sluggish even on high-end computers. Adobe Illustrator is not immune to this, but this seems to happen with less complex files with Affinity Designer.

Jeremy from Writing and Editing

Industry: Writing and Editing

Gotta Get Them All

I should start by saying that I didn't think I'd need Affinity Designer when I bought it. The only reason I bought it (and its product sibling, Affinity Photo) was because the product I actually wanted (Affinity Publisher) has a component called "Studio Link" that allows owners of Designer and Photo to switch "personas," which is a fancy word for summoning the tool set for Designer or Photo, whenever they need to update an image, logo, vector, landscape photo, etc. within a print layout for magazines, books (my exact use case), posters, fliers, or any other printed publication for business. By having a copy of Designer, I can use its full feature set right inside Publisher (same with Photo). I never have to exit the program or swap the image file I need to work on. It's not just innovative, it's efficient: one of the functional reasons (outside the obvious cost benefit) to using Affinity Anything over Adobe Anything (including Illustrator, it's main competition). But the funny thing is that once I bought Designer (and Photo), I saw a need for it. It's now my go-to for designing vector images, which can help me to make a logo for my website or a character + scene or idea design for my book covers (in comedies and coming-of-age fiction). The hardest part is actually learning how to draw with vectors. Spoiler Alert: It's not hard, even if you're an amateur like me. Get the Affinity Designer textbook or watch expert tutorials, and you'll figure it out in no time.

Pros

The main reason I bought the program was because it integrates with Affinity Publisher, another tool from the same company that I needed for book design. This is probably more of a pro in Publisher's camp, but Designer's compatibility with Affinity's entire suite of products made it attractive. But it didn't take long for me to realize that I needed a program to design vector graphics, and Affinity Designer scratches that itch well. I can't compare its feature set to its competitor, Adobe Illustrator, because I don't use Adobe products, so I can't discuss what it lacks. But when it comes to essential layered shape designs and special effects (and creating patterns, and designing logos, and so on), it includes everything you need to get the job done well. It's also easy to use. The product's store page also sells a textbook that holds your hand through designing projects, so it's very learn-as-you-go. The video tutorials also offer quick tips and best practices, and you can get additional design ideas from Affinity's YouTube channel. The price is unbeatable. It charges an ownership fee, not a subscription fee, so you pay for the product once (and depending on your budget, you don't pay much) and keep it forever. The price includes all updates within that version, and it updates enough to maintain user confidence. Overall, my opinion is that if you care about graphics of any kind, this is a tool worth having. But you should get all of Affinity's products. They're worth it.

Cons

If I were a dedicated graphic design artist, I might have an opinion here. But as a writer and sometimes game designer, my graphic needs are governed by situation, and so far my situation has not revealed any frustrations that I wouldn't extend to all Affinity products. So, the only actual negative I have right now is trivial. I'd need to use the software consistently to become excellent, and I don't need it often enough to become excellent. But if I were to use it consistently, the tools it offers would help me become excellent. So, there's no real con to buying this program, especially at its price point. Keeping track of the art boards gave me a headache the first time I used them. I think I may have used them wrong. A true graphic designer probably wouldn't have that kind of problem. It would be like a non-writer trying to learn how to use the style sheets in Microsoft Word (or Affinity Publisher, for that matter). Not hopeless, but not easy on the first try. No, the only nitpick I have is the same about all of Affinity's products. To update them, you have to manually download and install the newest version. Each product is half a gigabyte in size. Multiply that by three (because all three share the same updates), and it can get expensive on your hard drive if you don't have that delete key ready. It would be nicer if they had an auto-updating option available (for those who trust the integrity of updates). But that's about it. Oh, and Affinity likes RAM. Lots of RAM.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

When I saw what Affinity Designer (and Photo and Publisher) could accomplish as a complete design layout suite, and when I saw how little I had to spend to access such power, I couldn't justify leaving it behind. It was literally a case of "I don't know if I can afford to buy this, but I do know that I can't afford not buying it." So I bought it. And I could afford it.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I've been using PaintShop Pro as an alternative to Adobe Photoshop for years, but I've always found the quality of the end result lacking in comparison. For basic needs like touch-ups, light/dark adjustments, and so on, it's perfectly fine. But for more extensive work like compositing or typography (two things I need to do to create a salable book cover), it shows its weaknesses. And regarding vector graphics, it's about as basic as it gets. I've always appreciated PaintShop Pro's price point, which is why I've justified upgrading every few years. But when I discovered I could buy a stronger and more capable program for even less, Affinity Designer (and Affinity Photo, for that matter) was a no-brainer purchase. Thanks to the Affinity suite of products, I can't justify using any other design tool for my needs, especially not for the cost.

Viktoria from TTB

The powerhouse of vector design

We use Affinity Designer for a myriad of things - from designing logos and graphics for websites, to making merch design for our web comic. The great UI and amazing performance are an upgrade from our previous vector design software.

Pros

Affinity designer is the software I was waiting for as long as I remember. It has all the options of the mainstream competition, but for the fraction of the price. The best part of it is that Affinity Designer does what it does perfectly. But, the thing that attracted me to the Serif software, Affinity Designer and it's sister products Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher, is not only that. They offered their software for absolutely free for three entire months when the COVID pandemic started, and then for another three months later on. All the time, their price was down to 50% as well. They were not only the best, but the most human and kind. And that is the kind of company I want to give my money to.

Cons

A solid bitmap tracing option would be nice.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

The affordable price and the completeness of the package were the middle ground between the expensive and the free option we were looking at.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

We switched to Affinity software because we fell in love with the companies spirit. They offered their product for free to those who needed it the most. Needless to say, we bought the full suite after just a few days of use. Discovering Affinity was, to me, as exciting as making my first steps in vector design years ago.

A good Illustrator alternative, but far from perfect

Overall, I recommend Designer, along with the other Affinity apps, but I have something of a love-hate relationship with them. I love that we have real alternative to Adobe's products. The tools are powerful, and in many areas they shine brighter than Adobe's tired old offerings. On the other hand, some basic usability issues seem to hang about forever.

Pros

It's almost impossible to judge any vector illustration software without drawing comparisons (excuse the pun) to Adobe Illustrator, and in many ways Affinity Designer compares very well. It certainly feels fast, as a modern, native Mac app should. And unlike Illustrator, you can buy the app for a very affordable one-time purchase—no monthly subscriptions. Affinity has done a great job of unifying (mostly) all their apps, and this has to be mentioned too—Designer exists as part of an ecosystem, which for many designers, makes it the first genuine alternative to Adobe's Creative Cloud.

Cons

I have not found the transition from Adobe apps to be an altogether easy one. In some part, that is just the nature of switching from tools that one has grown very familiar with over many years. But some of it goes beyond that. The Affinity apps (and Designer is no exception) exhibit some *interesting* UI behaviours. Some of the more frustrating ones: - poor windows management, making Separated Mode almost unusable - strange intermittent bugs like a background window somehow having focus (and receiving commands) - working with colour swatches (especially Pantone swatches and spot colours) is cumbersome - some non-destructive actions, like deselecting an object, are added to the undo/redo stack (making it impossible to redo other commands) - no option to globally turn off antialiasing of exported artwork - no info panel - no ability to save your workspaces - lots of other 'little' interface oddities, which aren't big in and of themselves, but which can contribute to a somewhat frustrating experience overall. Some of these issues have been raised over and over again on the user forums, but Affinity seems very slow to address them.

Michael from Amalgamated Switch & Signal Company

Excellent Product

My experience has been wonderful, I see some of the new AI-type features in CC, but for my purposes the Affinity can do 98% of everything I might have ever wanted from CC and for a much better, one-time price.

Pros

I use the full Affinity suite (Designer, Photo and Publisher) and am VERY pleased with each. The ability to create and edit files in one and seamlessly switch to the other (e.g. edit photo in Photo and switch over to Designer to do some curved text or other vector work and then switch back to Photo) is amazing, and quite a time saver. I create several print-ready images every month and used to pay a LOT more for CC, which started to become a burden. Switching to Affinity saves me a lot of money (and also time)

Cons

Not a complaint, but if this software could somehow use all of the thousands of Photoshop plugins and filters out there, it would be incredible.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

Better value, extremely polished and reliable

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Mostly price. I also did not like all of the additional drivers and misc stuff that Adobe installed and keeps running all the time in the background.

RAJESH from WOWSUPER.NET

Ditch Adobe Illustrator. Get Affinity Designer NOW

I love this tool for graphic design. The learning curve is short, the tool itself is inexpensive (no recurring cost) and I look forward to use it on a daily basis - it's so intutive.

Pros

The best thing about Affinity Designer is not that it is feature rich, but that it has all the essential features for designing/illustration. This software can be bought for a low price (one-time) unlike Adoble Illustrator which demands you pay monthly license fee. The software is easy and intutive to use and I was able to learn the essentials within a week or so. You get basic photo editing features like selection tools for cropping, blending modes, etc.

Cons

Certain useful features like gradient map, 3D, mockups, etc. that are available in Illustrator may not be available with Affinity Designer. But I am OK with this - too many features make us forget essential ones. Besides, the magic wand tool available in Affinity Photo is not available in Affinity Designer - for precise cropping of people, etc. I wish Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo were a single software.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

I know Inkscape is free, but Affinity Designer has an awesome community on Facebook. I love the energy and enthusiasm around this product.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I was not happy with the high monthly subscription cost charged by Adobe Illustrator.

Savannah from Brand Yourself Apparel, LLC

Affinity Designer

Overall it’s OK but the price point is very low so it makes it somewhat worth it.

Pros

Affinity designer is super cost-effective. It’s easier to use than most designer software’s. They have a lot of support on their website and tutorials on YouTube.

Cons

There are a couple issues that we’ve had while using affinity designer. The program tends to frequently close out by itself. Sometimes I’m unable to download the updates without it crashing. We have to use affinity in conjunction with our Roland BN-20 however some of the add-ons within affinity aren’t compatible and aren’t recognize in versaworks. There aren’t enough tutorials to really grasp everything within affinity. I think it needs a little more work and to be easier to use.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

The price point beat all other designer software.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Adobe illustrator was too expensive and affinity didn’t have a monthly subscription and it was a download onto our computer rather than on a network.

Better than I expected

I saw ads for the Affinity suite in the past, but always dismissed them as one of those half-baked knock-offs of photoshop that like to rope you in with "free"trials that don't let you save your files or something. Turns out I was very wrong! Affinity Designer and Publisher are both legitimate and very good pieces of software. They are feature rich, have some innovative features that aren't seen in other software and have ongoing development with regular updates. Affinity Designer is quite intuitive, can do most things Illustrator can, can open and edit Illustrator files, so the transition was very smooth, with hardly any learning curve. Still had to google some to to figure out how certain operations were done in Designer that were different to Illustrator, and grapple with a few odd choices the devs made, over all I've been pretty pleased with Designer. Decided to transition from Illustrator because it didn't make sense for us to pay for the subscription model because we only need to use it several times a year for creating product labels, and starting and cancelling subscriptions constantly is just cumbersome. Plus we already have a Photoshop and Lightroom subscription. I tried to move from Illustrator to Inkscape in the past, but that was just impossible, Inkscape can't open Illustrator files properly (even PDFs) and lacks so many features that it wasn't possible to use for what I needed it.

Pros

Coming from Illustrator, it's very easy to adapt to, just minor differences in some workflows, but mostly it's intuitive. It can open and edit Illustrator files if they are pdf compatible, even deal with complex things like knockout groups correctly. It's also has some great ideas that I was pleasantly surprised by that made the workflow better and faster. Affinity devs listen to user feedback and regularly update their apps, so any features that it lacks it will probably get soon.

Cons

Lack of a good font manager, it just takes the fonts you have installed in your OS. No Google fonts integration or anything like Adobe Fonts, so if you're missing fonts you have to manually find them online and (buy or) download them the old-fashioned way. Some odd workflow choices, minor things that can slow you down. Like no native way to permanently reset the bounding box of an object after it has been rotated, they have a toggle that works for 1 operation and switches back to the (skewed or rotated) original. The align UI and the order of actions to chose what to align to what is strange and can waste time. Other minor things like that that I ran into, but all in all it works well and gets the job done.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

An affordable one-time fee for a product that's just as good as illustrator. Works properly, has all the necessary features and is compatible with other software unlike Inkscape.

Andréas from Divine Design

A great Vector Design Application

I love this software! I use it every day as a tool for vector design.

Pros

Affinity Designer (and it's sister applications) is application you really must love! The pricetag, the functionality, the support - it's all excellent.

Cons

The progress of making new functionality is slow and on Windows 10 the application is sometimes a bit buggy.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

The price tag and the ownership. Adobe subscription is expensive for a small company.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

The price tag is much more suitable for a Small Company. And the ability to own your bought product instead of renting it should be a reason for anyone to switch.

Joshua from JoshTurveyMusic

Brilliant Application - Incredible Brand!

My overall experience with the whole Affinity brand is supremely positive. Every aspect of their service: from the products they provide to the support, tutorials and workbooks they offer is of a supremely high standard. I'm incredibly excited to see how this brand evolves and will definitely be purchasing any product they add to their catalogue in the future.

Pros

Designer is an incredibly deep application that can satisfy just about everyone's demands for digital illustration. It has a phenomenal feature set and works on multiple devices, thus enabling the user to maximize their output and enhance their workflow. The accompanying Workbook is a brilliant way to familiarize the user to the capabilities of the software, and as the only viable alternative to Adobe Illustrator, anyone making the transition will feel right at home - you can even open up your Illustrator projects in Designer! Another great function is the seamless integration with Affinity's other applications - Publisher and Photo. I have only scratched the surface of this application but am astonished at what can be achieved. I can't recommend it highly enough and think that there is nothing on the market than can compete at this price range. Five stars!

Cons

Since making the transition from Illustrator, I've honestly not looked back once. There is nothing in my workflow that Designer isn't capable of performing. As such, I have no cons and can't think of any reason not explore Designer and its capabilities.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I couldn't justify the exorbitant fees that Adobe charge and was desperate to find a feature-packed and affordable solution.

Affinity Designer is a Worthy Contender in the Design Software Space

Affinity Designer feels like a friendlier vector design option as compared with some of the other usual suspects. While old-school designers and illustrators may prefer a more traditional approach, A.D. doesn't make you work quite as hard for basic shapes, text, etc. On the other hand, the departures may make it a harder transition for more experienced users. And, while this isn't a reflection on the software specifically, as a newer addition to the space, there are fewer tutorials available. I don't use it exclusively in design work, but I definitely favor it in many ways.

Pros

The interface is user-friendly, although there is definitely a learning curve coming from other vector design packages. I appreciate that there is a library of built-in shapes. When I'm trying to work through a design, I'd rather not have to draw a call-out or a cog or a heart. It's nice to be able to just pop them in. I also find that the basic text tool is friendlier than other packages.

Cons

There are some features that don't work as intended or are missing entirely, when compared against other vector design software. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to auto-trace a raster image, which would be helpful for my use.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

It's significantly less expensive than Adobe Illustrator and doesn't require a subscription fee. But I also just like overall design.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I haven't completely made a switch, but I use both packages. I find Affinity Designer to be easier to use and enjoy some of the added features, like the ability to easily create common shapes.

Panagiotis from MediaFlake Ltd

Vector graphics for everybody

As the leader of a small-to-medium-enterprise and an educator in sound for media, many times I have the need to create simple graphics. From schematics and diagrams to icons and beyond. I use them for my company's internal knowledge-base, when I blog, for my presentations in classrooms, and even to create our own software graphical assets from mockups to finished product. First of all, it's no secret that working in vector is what every software developer should do, as it allows for the generation of all the graphic assets to be made in various bitmap resolutions, so your application looks clear and crisp in any device. Lately, even the Unity game engine introduced a pipeline to use vector graphic assets to create games, so that they render in any resolution, I definitely recommend checking this out if you are a game developer. Anyway, Affinity Designer always delivered a great experience for me and all my colleagues said that I became a graphic designer, which is not true, but it is a great compliment, and I really own that to Affinity Designer. The exporter feature is one huge time saver, you should check out the videos they have about this one and also the rest of Affinity team's video tutorials in Vimeo. Overall, the experience of using the application can be described as smooth, fast and easy.

Pros

What I liked most about this program, is the workflow and interface. The developers managed to create a simple to use application for vector graphics, that everybody can operate. I can't remember how many times I got frustrated trying to make a simple graphic in other programs, while in Affinity Designer, the workflow is mapped so well, that everybody can use it. From computer graphics professionals around the world, to amateurs like me, it is straight forward to open the application and start creating. The online help system is awesome and omni-present and the graphical interface is sleek and looks good in any monitor that I tried it, even small ones. I also consider a great bonus that the company keeps a straight policy about pricing, they don't use the subscription model which is very good for SMEs.

Cons

Some advanced vector tools are missing, but the software is still young and I'm sure it will develop to a great tool. After all, the developers seem to have usability, ease of use and fast workflows in mind, so they add new features very carefully, to keep Affinity Designer the great tool that it is now.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Over-complicated without making the interface and workflow intuitive, they only seem to add features to this program as they go and expect from the users to follow this progress from years ago. So I don't consider it a good onboarding process. Also subscription pricing model for a graphics creation application is only for those who make a lot of money by just making computer graphics, which many people who need graphics don't.

Connor from Catalyze Academy

It's not Illustrator, but it'll do

It gets the job done. That's probably the best thing I can say about it. It gets the job done, but I trudge through every moment of the job.

Pros

It's surprisingly fully-featured for the price. Once you know what you're doing, it can accomplish just about any task you'd use Illustrator (the industry standard) for.

Cons

The workflows are just ... Annoying. Maybe it's because I'm coming from Illustrator, where everything feels effortless, but it feels like every aspect of Affinity Designer was made unnecessarily complicated. Using the program makes me want to pull my hair out, because I know how much quicker and easier and just ... More "common sense" the process would be in Illustrator. Also, and this is a big one: Most stock vector files are completely useless in Affinity Designer. If there's any degree of complexity (meaning more than one shape), it's going to be an absolute disaster to work with in Designer.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

It was the cheapest alternative that seemed like it would get the job done ... And I still stand by that. You get a lot of functionality for the price. As a result, it makes a strong first-impression. But after you get beyond the free trial, and start diving deeper into projects (or trying to work with stock resources), it just becomes such a pain.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

The company I was working for at the time wanted a cheaper alternative.

Budget alternative to Adobe's increasingly expensive product line..

The pricepoint and feature set make this a steal when you compare it to Adobe's competitor Illustrator. We bought a single license and had our most experienced designer test drive it. He ultimately recommended it and we've enjoyed a huge cost savings for software, while not missing a beat in terms of workload and output.

Pros

This is a fantastic alternative to Adobe's Illustrator, especially at Affinity's pricepoint. To be fair, we're not a design agency first, we make websites and do marketing primarily. However, when we do want to work with vector graphics, Affinity Designer matches up almost 1:1 with Adobe Illustrator. The real pro is the one-time fee of $50 instead of a full adobe suite subscription. This allows our small team to effectively open, edit, and export vector graphics, without having a several hundred dollars per month bill to foot. For small teams, this is a huge win. I'd imagine some experienced designers will scoff that a few of their old shortcuts don't work, but all in all, the interface and function almost mirrors Adobe's for a fraction of the cost. We also use their photo editing software too, which replaces Photoshop.

Cons

Some of the terminology and keyboard shortcuts made the onboarding slightly more difficult for our long-time Adobe Illustrator users, but they've adopted nicely over time. There's always growing pains when you switch tools, but there are many more features that do match up 1:1 that this was a no brainer for our company.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Pricing. Adobe's product suite is expensive for a small team like ours who may not need as robust of a software suite as other design/marketing firms. For our needs and budget, this was a perfect fit. I can't tell enough people about this!

Great software at a very affordable price

For the price, you honestly just can't ask for more. I haven't used everything it offers, and I know it's probably a few steps behind adobe, but it does everything that I need it to, and it does it well.

Pros

I have been looking for software like inDesign and Photoshop without breaking the bank. I wanted software that was functional, easy to use and set up, and something that didn't require a subscription. When I found Affinity, I was blown away with how good it was. And the fact that the publisher software works hand in hand with the photo software is a very nice touch. Coming from Adobe, the learning curve was relatively low, and I could open my old adobe files and pick up where I left off. Very, very happy with my purchase.

Cons

If I have to include cons, I'm going to have to be nit-picky. I wish I could safe natively to other file types (I can export to indesign file types, or photoshop file types, just not with the save function) but that is very minor. In some documents, exporting to a PDF took some time, although it was a very large document and not normal to do under any piece of software. Overall though, these are very, very minor issues.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

I chose this strictly due to pricing.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I made the switch due to pricing.

David from GIMovile

Full power of creativity for and decent price

Overall I can designs faster in this software than Illustrator, finally I can work with something similar to inkscape that can work with CMYK but this one is faster than both adobe and free products, I think is the best bang for your buck for working with vectors.

Pros

- You can create and handle CMYK documents. - The user interface is extremely simple which makes it easy to pick up and learn it. - You can save files on different drives and you are capable of performing live updates on the storage file. - You have the option to generate procedural vectors and self created as well. - The effects and alterations on your designs are extremely fast, the refreshing is really quick no wasting time. - When working with vectors you can see the direct result of your design in vector mode on a split view mode before exporting as raster image. - Amazing brush control and customization. - Automatically create a color pallet form an existing document. - You can create multiple symmetry points to create outstanding designs in a breeze. - The history is not deleted your history is saved all the way, so you can go back in your design. - It works flawlessly in the iPad and you have as much control as the desktop version. - You can works with multiple Art boards. - I has photo shop most distinctive tools built in so you can remove backgrounds of images without using another software. - It has designer constrains to help you visualize your design on different devices. - Is extremely affordable price point is $69 one license with updates and $27.99 for iPad.

Cons

- You do not have the access to all of the Adobe programs like Premiere, Dream weaver, After effects, etc. - The tools it has are not as convenient as the shape builder form the competitor.

The UI is better by far

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Because is faster to design, I like the interface and the price is more accessible it is an incredible tool.

Sean from enCode PR

Superior to Adobe Illustrator in just about every way

Affinity Designer is not just an alternative to Adobe Illustrator. In my opinion it is a superior competitor and does so without the onerous subscription model forced on Adobe users.

Pros

I've been using Affinity Photo, Designer and now Publisher for years. I have consistently found their products to be far superior to the alternatives from Adobe in terms of performance, UI and the tools available. Given that they were originally designed specifically for the Mac, their performance and usability has always outstripped Adobe.

Cons

There aren't any real cons to Designer. The only criticism I have of the overall creative suite from Affinity is that there is, as of now, no solution similar to Lightroom. The main focus of my business is photography, so being able to organize and make basic adjustments would be wonderful.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

Better tool set and polish.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Poor performance and Adobe's subscription model.

Jonathan from None

Really good tools - and much less expensive than Adobe

Very happy with the Affinity tools on the whole, and I can recommend them especially For iPad work and for working in small teams.

Pros

I use Affinity for my own creations, mostly drawing and cartooning, and I really like it. It has most of the same tools as the Adobe tools I used but it’s way better thought out when I use it on my iPad. Same goes for the Affinity Photo app. They both work very well on my iPad. I have used the Affinity tools on my iMac and they are responsive there too. They aLso have some really good filters and a good ecosystem for lenses and other tools as well as for tutorials and sharing artwork in the community. But maybe it’s biggest plus is the price compared to Adobe. The fact that I don’t have to pay monthly for it, and it’s a great product are key factors. I think it’s a great alternative to Adobe products.

Cons

The tool icons themselves are small and make it difficult to locate them sometimes and the UI isn’t as polished as Adobe. Also I haven’t been able to really take advantage of the personas they have for designer and photo apps. Also the fact that when you open an non-Affinity image you are pushed to save it their proprietary format as opposed to the format you opened it in.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

partially price and not being trapped by Adobe but also because I get great results and the software has been rock solid.

Subigyan from Neosphere

Affinity Designer is great option in designing market

Overall it was nice using Affinity designer. The major problem with it was it lacks some important tools which are existing in other software, which has been cleared out in newer updates. You can just make anything in it from website, app design to vector art and illustration which is a very nice point as this is only a single time payment software.

Pros

These major pros of the affinity designer I found 1. The software is an only one-time payment which makes the Affinity designer much more relevant than other subscription-based Softwares out there. 2. It consists of a lot of tools required for vector illustrations to UI/UX design to even web designs. 3. User Interface is very good compared to other Softwares out there in the market. 4. And at last, the cross-platform support from other software like adobe creative cloud suite makes it relevant for the price you pay.

Cons

There are not many cons you will get from this software actually one major con is 1. It lacks many tools compared to other competitive software in the industry

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

It was not an actual switch but it was for a period of time I change my software usually to get a new feeling and to get a new idea generated.

Excellent graphics design tool, Illustrator alternative!

Absolute pleasure! I couldn't afford the Adobe package but now I have Affinity Designer and Photo and it more than meets all my needs for website graphics and photo editing and design.

Pros

So much cheaper than Illustrator / Photoshop and packs all the features I need. Easy to use, easy to learn. Many tutorials from Affinity as well as other skilled users. Use it for simple projects or very in-depth. Replace expensive and subscription services with this one-time very reasonably priced vector graphics software. They also have an iPad app that is just as powerful and neither suck up resources!

Cons

If you are very used other software like Illustrator, it will take some time to adjust at first. You may have to find different ways to do the same task in Designer, but it is just a quick look-up away from learning.

Price.

pranav from thinking how

Industry: Animation

Best software for creating graphics and illustration for those who are new in this field

but my experience with affinity is very very positive and it's my first designer software and it really worked well for me. many many thanks to them.

Pros

when i was starting my career as an animator, so i need a program in which i work to create vector designs and illustration to animate. so i have 2 options in front of me adobe illustrator which is very popular and affinity designer. i have seen the interface of both, and i find affinity designer very easy and simple to create these illustration. it is less confusing for beginners. affinity has a better interface than adobe illustrator. i like it's features and they provided 2 different sections like design persona and pixel persona. it is very helpful for me. yes using affinity i have started my career and now i am successfully running my firm.

Cons

there is nothing to dislike about but as the area which they need to focus is exporting and file compatibility with other software's. this is the only one thing which i find little hard to deal with using affinity as i am using adobe after effects for animations and only eps and png files are supported so it's increases the work while exporting and also there is one problem with export. when exporting and submitting to websites like shutterstock it is unapproved because of rasterization problem and if i select nothing will be rasterized then it will remove all the effects like if i have choosen the transparency effect so it will remove the effect and give me solid color. so that's something i can't figure out till now.

Alessandro from AC GDI

Affinity Designer is the best choice

It let me use a very powerful software with a very low cost. In my opinion, it wins the comparison with Adobe Illustrator since it has all the features you need to work without subscribing a monthly. With Designer I made flyers, brochures, full customizable t-shirt print , business cards and even a travel catalog without the needed of a publisher software. Its strong point is in printing, because it offers a complete control on color profile and, if you are designing with Pantone print support, the complete ICC and CMYK color management is integrated.

Pros

It's a powerful tool for vectorial drawing, it has everything a designer needs to create, it's very easy to use and learn and can switch with other raster drawing software (affinity photo). The computer requirements are very low, so the software can work even on old computers. It has been developer both for Mac and Win, and has a full compatibility with Adobe's Suite.

Cons

The interaction with wacom's graphic tablets could be improved. That's all.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

Very low cost, lifetime license, easy to use, very high performance.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Since Adobe forced the use of the CC version, my pc has not been able to work with it. I was looking for a very competitive software alternative which could work with an old pc.

Ronald from Myron Manufacturing

A game changer

I used to have a very specific workflow that involved the 2 most common image software on the market. These are expensive for the kind of tasks we were doing and a recurrent payment. Affinity Designer (and it's brother, Affinity Photo) replaced these with a one-time payment so we were able to get exactly the same results, same quality and same effiency.

Pros

It allows you to do all the advanced stuff you need to do. Of course, there are some industry-standards out there this software will be compared to. Affinity Designer will for sure save you money after you spend some time in the initial adaptation translating all your knowledge from other tools to it. It sounds scary but it isn't. Things are just called differently and some others just have a different shortcut, but all what you know should still apply. A very cool thing I saw is that the developers are always interacting with users and they do listen to the requests! It's very, very lightweight (v. 1.8.5 is less than 500mb). Updates happen frequently but it's up to you to install them. Also it's equally lightweight in terms of resources used when running. The industry standards require everytime more and more ram and cpu while Affinity Designer runs very smoothly on all low-mid range pcs.

Cons

The documentation isn't always super super clear. As it's an evolving sofware and features are being added or changed, this is really important. A couple of times i had to rely on youtubers to find how to do certain things.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Illustrator was too expensive for us and too heavy to run. We also had to run Photoshop at the same time which was a problem in terms of resources since we're now working from home so not everybody has specialized hardware at home to run these.

Intuitive vector design tool

I found really useful when designing different size ads, since you can have your different size artboards and create symbols, that way every time I needed to change something I could just edit the symbol instead of changing every ad, it really saved us a lot of time at work.

Pros

Definitely the best tool for vector design, the zoom in is infinite, you can have multiple artboards and layers and with Pixel Persona you can have a little of both worlds and do basic image edit. It is really great that you don't need a subscription.

Cons

It can be a little difficult at first, if you learned on a different tool, but once you get used to it you'll love it. I only wish there was a LiveTrace tool, but you can manage without it.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I was tired of the subscription.

Boris from Zero Molecule

Best vector editor for a fraction of the price

We used Adobe for a long time but decided to switch to Affinity Designer when they offered the free trial and we are very happy we did! It saved us hundreds of dollars in just the few months that we were using it. If I could rate it any higher, I would! The entire Serif company is amazing at what they do and they are rolling out major updates very often. We use it for all of our graphic design needs, from logotypes to icons we use in our apps and, frankly, I will never look back to any other graphic design software.

Pros

It is super affordable! Affinity even lowered their prices 50% at the start of the pandemic and offered a three month free trial. It has all the options Illustrator has, and is as clean and usable as Illustrator.

Cons

There is nothing I could find so far that I didn't like! Affinity Designer is the way to go!

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

Affinity offered a gracious trial

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

To avoid high fees that come with software as a service. It is unfair to pay for software on a subscription basis.

Matthew from High Plains Baptist Church

Great product if you are interested in moving away from subscription software.

I have used Affinity designer for a number of years and the product has exceeded my expectation for the price of the software. It continues to receive useful updates and remains a strong competitor to other design software offerings.

Pros

I love that the Affinity Designer software is a one time purchase and has not become a subscription product like many others have. The product has all the features you need for advanced design work any is a great value for the price that you pay. There is a full range of features and instruction on using the various tools is more and more widely available.

Cons

Sometimes I find that the tools in Affinity are not quite as intuitive as some other design software programs but generally a quick internet search will provide the instructions I need to get over the hurdle.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I did not use the Adobe product often enough to justify the expense of the subscription service and actually preferred the one time purchase model of Affinity as well as the operation of the Affinity software.

Luz from Consulting Dojo

Affinity - Best of both worlds

I been using the Affinity suite (Designer, Photo, Publisher) for months now and strongly feel that this is a great investment for the money (one time purchase). All my (basic) design needs have been met so far. I've seen examples of other projects done with the suite and it is a very powerful contender to Adobe.

Pros

Affinity Designer is a very cost effective solution vs Adobe Illustrator. I love that it has all the features I need (and more). It is easy to use (if you know Illustrator or other design software), the brushes are helpful. I regularly use it to create/edit icons, and designs for my books. I am not a professional designer, so for me it has been a great tool.

Cons

Some times it feels as if there are too many options. This comes with the package of not being a basic Design software (which is good actually). This is not a fault of the software, but lack of knowledge on my part.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Cost. Adobe = $20 dlls/Month vs Affinity Design = $25 dlls unique payment. Features are very similar, locally installed and run (faster). To me, the Affinity suite is what Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) was many years ago, before Adobe grew too big. I wonder why would anyone continue paying monthly subscription fees when you can have a very similar product for a much lower price.

Heidi from My Creative Pursuits

A wonderful substitute for Adobe Illustrator

Awesome alternative to Adobe products, clean interface and makes my project flow much more efficient.

Pros

I really like how intuitive the software is for designers who are familiar with any standard design platform. I've been using Serif products for 9 years now and have always been impressed with how affordable and functional their design software has always been. They made design accessible to anyone in a market where design software pricing made it out of reach for many struggling graphic artists and designers. This newest offering is, in my opinion, superior to the industry standard vector offering, Adobe Illustrator. At a base level Affinity Designer offers all of the functionality of it's competition, with more ease of use and a much more affordable rate.

Cons

As Affinity Designer is still fairly new there are some small bugs, however, the Affinity support team works hard to address those and update the software often. Also, while most of the features are super intuitive the more advanced offerings can be harder to figure out. More tutorials offered by the company and the design community would be beneficial to allow people to really get all of the value that they can. The software is capable of so much but learning about those advanced features can be frustrating.

Barbara from Word Revolution

Absolutely Outstanding!

It been beyond outstanding for us. Super satisfied and I can’t recommend it enough. It was super easy to migrate completely from the Adobe Suite. No hiccups at all.

Pros

It is lightning fast! And not to mention super affordable. Here is a piece of software with great customer support and an amazing community behind it. It is very intuitive and the learning curve is not steep at all. In fact, far more intuitive than Adobe Suite.

Cons

So far, all good! Maybe how it opens files from the Adobe Suite could improve but it has nothing to do with Affinity as much as how Adobe packages their files.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Price mostly but also bad customer support and bloatware.

Daniel from Northwild Design

Huge Value For Any Designer Seeking to Get Out of the Adobe Subscription Prison

My overall experience with Affinity Designer has been very positive. The software has allowed me to create hundreds of vector designs with ease and I've saved hundreds of dollars getting out of the Adobe subscription model! I highly recommend the Affinity suite to any professional designer or photographer.

Pros

Affinity Designer allows you to create professional vector designs and illustrations without a lifetime subscription. It has won many accolades for it's ease of use and functionality from Apple and others in the design industry. For $50 you get the equivalent of an Adobe Illustrator AND support for pixel/raster designs alongside vector work.

Cons

Although the team Serif is constantly updating the software, Affinity Designer lacks some of the features that have been native to Illustrator for many years like vectorizing raster images or a scissors tool. This will often lead you to search for a workaround on the Affinity forums or YouTube.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

No more monthly subscription fee!

Illustrator Alternative, Almost Perfect

I love that I am able to open all of my old Adobe files seamlessly, for the most part. Yes, there are some minor things missing from the software but, for someone who does web and graphic design on a daily basis, this is a phenomenal software solution. Not to mention the normal $50 one-time purchase cost (currently only $25 due to COVID-19).

Pros

They are constantly improving this software and making it the perfect 1:1 replacement for Adobe Illustrator, without the paywall. It's easy to use and understand while having advanced enough features for even the most technical users.

Cons

I wish I had the potential to seamlessly switch between the affinity app suite, like their Publisher software allows. It would be convenient for small changes using tools from my other Affinity products.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I was tired of Adobe's paywall and stranglehold on the design software market. For my needs and workflow, the Affinity Suite has been perfect.

Affinity Designer, a good tool for designers.

I use Affinity for more than two years and the truth is that what can be achieved is satisfactory, that it is easy to use because it resembles others, it contains the exact thing to illustrate and when deploying it in the graphic arts department it was very appropriate for us. Its low cost, its help methods grow over time and this allows you to be informed of innovations in the product.

Pros

Affinity is a good competitor for other tools that are giving you something to talk about and they show it with this software that enhances your designs, an interface that does not depart from familiar tools. Its low cost and updates draw attention, I had the opportunity to test it on MacOS and I wanted it to come out for windows, later my prayers were heard and today is part of my group of applications that I use to illustrate, Serif intends to get into the game with a program that offers a lower cost of good quality than others that are expensive.

Cons

Although upgrades improve it and make Affinity more similar to other software, it lacks many tools that would boost it and put it at the top, but eventually we'll see it.

Trevor from Creative Logic Tech Solutions

Better than the big name alternatives

I was able to replace the annual subscription for Adobe products with Affinity Designer (as well as Affinity Photo). As such, I got a much better value since I didn't need to use my Adobe products very often. Also I was easily able learn how to use Designer because of the learning resources they have and the community / forums are large so most questions are already out there and answered.

Pros

Affiniity Designer easily and immediately replaced my existing vector graphics program I was using before it (Illustrator). As such there was no major learning curve or wasted time switching over. Further, even though there is no subscription required, the software only continues to improve!

Cons

Even though it's not a major change from Illustrator, you do have to get used to a few things that are different. Not a big deal.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I didn't want to pay the annual subscription anymore for a product I only used once every so often.

The Best Vector Program for your Money!

My overall experience with Affinity Designer has been overwhelmingly positive. Seriously, there isn't a better vector/raster program for Windows, Mac, and iPad for the price. It's changed my design workflow for the better and I hope it disrupts the stranglehold a certain suite of tools has on the industry.

Pros

Affinity Designer has helped me cut the expensive cord that tied me to the Adobe suite of graphic design tools. The price is absolutely mind-blowing for what this software can do. It does everything programs like Illustrator can do--creating vector art and manipulating nodes on the fly. But it also adds raster tools allowing you to combine smooth vector designs with detailed bitmaps. There's so much Serif has packed into this amazing app at an insanely affordable price that there's no reason every designer and hobbyist should be adding to their toolbox today.

Cons

My only nitpicks about this software is that occasionally it will crash when you're handling large files with lots of layers and that new versions don't come out as quickly as I'd like. But Serif is a small team who's passionate about their product and I know they'll continue to develop it to be the best it can be.

Milton from SolucionesK

Full competition in the vector sector

Its price and business style makes it affordable. Their support and community is excellent and you can resolve any queries in less than a day. I have used it on all 3 platforms (Win, Mac and iPad) and it deploys quickly and efficiently on any platform.

Pros

It is an essential App in my work. Easy to use and intuitive, multiplatform on Win Mac iPad (no iPhone). It is constantly updated and is a reference in the current design software. Library of plugins, brushes, fonts, gradients... own and third party. Very good community to ask questions and excellent tutorial channel.

Cons

Compared to applications with much more time and experience, they may not have more complex tools. But with knowledge of what you are doing you can achieve the same result.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

Price, renewal system, evolution of another App that was not the usual benchmark. Design of the App itself.

Ina Eliza from WVP Broker de Asigurare

A great alternative to Illustrator.

I started to use Affinity Designer in order to wake up the creativity in me. I took several classes to learn how to use it - each class was having a certain project as a goal. It is not so difficult to learn and I think you learn best when you have a certain end in mind. If you are used with Illustrator, it will be very easy to use Affinity Designer. Some cannot give up using Illustrator, but if you are just beginning or on a tight budget, I really recommend Affinity Designer.

Pros

I like how much you get for the money you pay. It is a one-time payment, very budget-friendly, and you get a software that gives you everything you need to create what you have in mind: create a logo, write something or make an amazing artwork to print, to share. I am still amazed by the things that you can do with this software.

Cons

It is not that I don't like this, but you really need to put in the time and energy to learn it. And this was expected because you can create such amazing things with it. You can find tutorials and classes that will guide you. Just take your time and don't give up.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I just wanted a software that worked better, no crashes, had more option, was more organized and the same time was not a burden for my budget.

Andreea Laura from Touch Media 360

Easy to vectorize elements and good for multiple purposes design (printing, online design, cutting).

I bought Affinity Designer last year because it was at offer, i think on black friday. Initially I was reluctant to buy it and use it because I thought it would be hard to use and understand another application. If you know Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator you know how to use Affinity Designer. It seems to be a combination of them, but from my point of view better on working with vector elements.

Pros

First of all, because when you create vector elements and delete a point, it does not destroy the whole element that you've created. I like that you can organize in folders what you are doing and by double clicking on an item in the folder you selected it and you can edit it. For now, I've used affinity designer to make pdf documents as giveaway for my readers on the blog and to make design for my cutting machine. When I bought the application I received some templates to use, I have not used them yet but I assume they are useful. You can also create artboards to make design for sites and applications. You can export each artboard separately in different formats.

Cons

I faced a little problem. It is not compatible with Adobe Illustrator. At work I had this program and I sent a file home to make some changes but I could not do that because I could not open my document. Instead I have no problems with the eps format.

Grant from GT Studio

Great alternative

I've really enjoyed using this software as it works so well. And the biggest plus, no subscription!

Pros

Affinity's Designer is the closest thing to Adobe's Illustrator. Yet it has other great options. I particularly like how you can switch between vector and pixel mode. Additionally, it's really smooth to use. That's quite a hard thing to explain but it just works really well. It's also partly about how it feels like a mix of InDesign and Illustrator. I particularly like how you can easily export to many different formats.

Cons

I can't say there's anything really. I'm still slightly adjusting to the details of this from Adobe but that's to be expected, not that there's that much to pick up really.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I particularly dislike Adobe's subscription model.

Victor Conde from HeyVico

Great for anyone that is not part of a big team

I have used Adobe suite for almost 15 years, and have never been so happy after i changed to Designer.

Pros

The price, the graphical interface when you give it time to grow on you, and the preview of the files on a windows machine WHICH ADOBE DONT HAVE!

Cons

There is some very advanced functions in Illustrator still that Designer does not have, but the amount of tools and the high quality application is worth it.