• icon"It just seems very easy to navigate and access easily from multiple locations. The customer support has been amazing."
  • icon"It’s great for mobile practices and exam room checkouts. It’s customizable, easy to use, and cost effective."
  • icon"It is easy to use and very user friendly. Makes finding records super easy."
  • icon"The functionality of the system was very hard to understand even with the training videos."
  • icon"I don't know if it's my problem or the software but I struggle with keeping my inventory accurate."
  • icon"There is no way to keep track expenses for other purchases made."

All Hippo Manager Reviews

Stepping out

Pros

This is an awesome ground floor vet software, and they work hard to update it to what is needed constantly. The price e is PERFECT, and the Cloud capability makes them even better!

Cons

Some of the needed updates are frustrating to work around, such as nesting items within 1 charge, refilling scripts and signing charts easily, but we know they will eventually be available!

Response from Hippo Manager Software

We're so glad that you've acquired Hippo Manager as a software solutions provider that has a competitive price point, is simple to use and increases efficiencies, at your practice. We DO work very hard at constantly upgrading and updating our software to exceed industry standards and our veterinary practice partners expectations. Some of the small frustrations you've listed will actually be updated and refreshed very soon in mid-late 2018! We're looking forward to sharing our continued improvements with you and appreciate your partnership, business, and time it took to provide feedback.

Replied July 2018

Mary

Hippo Manager Rocks!

Overall, I am very pleased with it's reliability and the timely improvements that have been made to increase efficiency of the system.

Pros

I like that the company has a sense of humor, but they also listen and take suggestions seriously. The customer support team is friendly and sincere.

Cons

Some parts are confusing and some areas require too many "clicks" to get task performed. Customer support, online manual and help page all aid in getting questions answered.

Reasons for choosing Hippo Manager

Sense of humor implied by their website and a kinship with all things related to Lexington, Ky.

Reasons for switching to Hippo Manager

VetOfficeSuite was not as user-friendly as Hippo Mgr. I am not super tech-savvy, and Hippo flet like a much more comfortable fit for me. I tried VetOfficeSuite for a month and did not feel comfortable using it. Hippo was much easier to adjust to as I had been using paper charts previously.

Response from Hippo Manager Software

Hi Dr. Barling, Thanks for providing a review of Hippo Manager. We appreciate you being a member of the Hippo Herd! We do take practice partner requests seriously and our support and training teams are always there to help with any question. We make sure we log feature requests and as part of our constant improvements to our app, we work in practice requests as soon as possible! Are you saying you like our Hippo jokes? Glad you enjoy our sense of humor! We love what we do, so we infuse a lot of light-hearted elements into our approach and our practice management software. :) Looking forward to delivering more growth and improvements your way as we met the demands of veterinary professionals such as yourself and the ever-changing veterinary industry.

Stephanie

October 2022

I liked the origional version better!

Pros

I like that it is easier to use and wast to train on. I also love the customer service.

Cons

There are way too many steps that make everything take longer.

Lesley

August 2022

Hate this Update

Pros

We enjoyed being able to add multiple items for multiple patients on one invoice. With the new update we are struggling and so are cliwnts

Cons

Invoicing. Receiving. Searching clients. ALOT

Response from Hippo Manager Software

We appreciate your feedback! Development is currently underway to refine the multi patient checkout process and with the final "2.1" release this issue will be fully resolved. Thank you for bearing with us.

Replied August 2022

ailena

Hippo Manager is Excellent

Overall Hippo manager has been a huge part of getting my small and lean practice start up off the ground and running. Having a quality medical records system for a low price helped to get our practice up and going. Working remotely was a huge plus with having small children at home.

Pros

I love the intuitiveness of hippo manager use--staff quickly catch on to the software even if they are unfamiliar with it. A plus is being able to upload and store and view DICOM images in the medical records. For quality of the software at the price point offered cannot be beat. Also, customer service is responsive to needs and makes customization when requested. Love working from home too!

Cons

Sometimes the plus icons are a little small if working on a small touch screen such as a tablet.

Reasons for choosing Hippo Manager

Did a trial of both and hippo was more intuitive to use

Response from Hippo Manager Software

Dr. Baum, Thank you for your review of Hippo Manager. We're so thrilled to hear that it's helping you get home faster and work remotely when you can, versus being stuck in the office. Our team is super response and we're glad you've experienced that first hand. We are always working to improve features and functionality and take the feedback from our practice partners, seriously. Our built-in DICOM viewer with unlimited storage is so popular, we love to see that you're taking advantage of that and delivering excellent patient care with the help of Hippo Manager. Thank you for being a valued part of the Hippo Herd!

Replied June 2019

Kate

Overall recommend

I liked the amount of training available for us. The support team is always available, and really easy work with.

Pros

Loved the ease of use, scheduling, and billing flow through. I found the inventory management intuitive, and the point of sale options were flexible for staff and for clients. Easy to navigate, and very easy to train people who are not tech-saavy by nature. We had full user uptake, which gave us much more efficiency in all of our client interactions.

Cons

The veterinary practice is located in Canada, while the software is American. Tax reporting functionalities were not designed to support Canada's tax and accounting needs, so we did have difficulty in getting some of the tax information initially. As well, the Accounts Receivable could be improved by allowing a user to see the AR for a date in the past.

Reasons for switching to Hippo Manager

The vet clinic is very small, with one vet and a few technicians. ImproMed was too administrative heavy, and too costly for the small business.

Rachel

Hippo review WAH

This software is good for all of the basics for veterinary medicine but seems to have a lot of fine tuning to do.

Pros

The software is quite easy to use and figuring out how to do things on it is pretty easy. Also, mistakes seem pretty easy to correct. It is very convenient that it is accessible from anywhere. I like that you can personalize the patient screen.

Cons

The reminders system creates a lot of extra work for staff. It would be nice to have reminders generate emails to send to owners and if due for more than one vaccine or labwork etc would be nice if sent only 1 email to owner instead of 5 separate emails. The estimate feature needs to be improved- it shows an open invoice whenever estimate is made and saved which is confusing. Also, it makes it difficult to just save the estimate and have it on file for reference if needed because it will always show the client as having an open invoice. You should be able to make numerous estimates at the same time but on different sheets. Also, there should be the ability to have a high end and low end to the estimates. I would like for my requests to have some kind of response- I have made quite a few requests (including in person at the VMX conference) and have not seen anything done.

Reasons for choosing Hippo Manager

I liked that it is cloud based, it is cheaper, and the people who I have spoken to from Hippo have been very friendly

Leigh

Industry: Veterinary

Tracking taxes needs to be fixed before you consider this software

Until it gets its ability to track taxes fixed, this software is going to set you up for trouble with the CRA. I have 2 taxes, RST (provincial sales tax) and GST. The report that keeps track of how much of each we have collected has broken 3 times in the 8 months we have been using the software. Currently it is listing the 2 taxes separate on the invoices, as it should, but it is lumping the total of both taxes together when I run the end-of-day reports. I am going to have to go through and print off every single invoice from the past month and enter it into Excel. If you want to use it for billing, this software is a liability until this issue is fixed.

Pros

Medical records are straight-forward. To-do-list allows me to find all the medical records I need to finish from the day, which is great for me. Ability to store documents (labwork, previous files) and radiographs is nice.

Cons

It seems to be completely incapable of keeping track of how much tax my practice has collected

Reasons for choosing Hippo Manager

Cost, recommendation of a colleague, looked good on the demonstration, and it could handle 2 taxes

Reasons for switching to Hippo Manager

So that PST and RST would show as separate lines on the invoices

Response from Hippo Manager Software

Hi Leigh, We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about Hippo Manager. Regarding the tax area, taxes are accurately tracked in the Balance Sheet and with an update dated this week, we will have released a NEW tax breakdown report for practices using multiple tax types. This will remove any confusion for practices who have the tax breakdown in the Balance Sheet but would like to see a more detailed report. This is a great example of how we take feedback very seriously. We're agile enough to be able to tackle suggestions on an ongoing and priority basis. Thank you for being a valued member of the Hippo Herd! We enjoy working with your team.

Serena

Industry: Veterinary

I am very happy with hippo!!!

I have been very pleased with Hippo for record keeping. It is so easy to use and I have very rapid access to my patients' records. I really appreciate that they are constantly working to update and improve Hippo. Also, I met the Customer Support at the CVC - great to meet the people who have helped me initially, CSR routinely for technical questions. I also really appreciate that Hippo seems to be actively updated and improved for ease of use and function.

Pros

Overall, myself, my receptionist and assistant/technicians are very pleased with using Hippo. We use it all day most days and having document storage capacity and accessibility is key!! It just seems very easy to navigate and access easily from multiple locations. The customer support has been amazing!! There are a few changes that I think would be helpful and the capability to set up certain types of reminders and service codes that would be really useable for us, which I will include below.

Cons

I am so happy with it overall, that is hard to say but the things I would like to see change, are the number of decimal points/zeros on an invoice after each item. See example below. Seen By: Serena Turner Chart Note: Phone 2019-09-11 08:55:00 Patient Item Qty. Total Gypsy Cefpodoxime 200 mg tablets 20.00000 $47.00 Phone Consultation 1.00000 $20.00 Euthanasia Housecall Large Patient 1.00000 $200.00 Paw Print made by Rolling Acres 1.00000 $25.00 Rolling Acres Private Cremation 50-150# 1.00000 $245.00 I just don't think having anything in the hippo system to the 0.0000 is practical, and it looks strange on invoices as well as pharmacy labels. This same system/issue impacts typing in the quantity on prescriptions for 100 count or more, you have to erase zeros to be able to type the number prescribed. Another thing I think could be addressed is the number of reminders - the top 5 - that show up on a vaccine certificate. If a 3 year vaccine schedule is being used, often the vaccines won't be on that top 5 reminder list so you have to either send multiple certificates or I delete reminders like the Annual Wellness Exam in order to have the 3 year DA2PP date show up, for example.

Reasons for choosing Hippo Manager

It may have been the initial customer service and response that helped make my decision - I'm sorry I can't remember exactly all of the reasons, but I am very pleased with my choice of Hippo.

Response from Hippo Manager Software

Dr. Turner, Thank you for your feedback and review of Hippo Manager. We are dedicated to providing a future-proof veterinary practice management software that remains ready to deliver on the needs of our partner practices and the emerging trends of a highly evolving industry. We focus on our mission of empowering veterinary professionals to thrive by, delivering excellent customer service and making improvements as well as adding new features, a regular part of our day to day operations. Our customer success team is made up of a lot of individuals ready to assist practices in getting the most out of Hippo Manager! Thanks for being a member of the Hippo Herd!

Replied October 2019

Paige

Industry: Veterinary

Built for the back end not the front end of veterinary

Executive has been great to deal with. Very helpful

Pros

The charting/treatment aspect of the software is really good. It’s very intuitive and well thought out. The billing aspect of the program is ok.

Cons

The software is patient based, not client based. In veterinary it’s not the patient that books appointments, pays the bills or confirms appointments, it’s the client. The process to find the client info within the patient info is a process, as is adding new patients to said client. Communicating with the client with anything other than a phone call is frustrating. “Reminders” can be somewhat helpful but the character limit is too low for any useful information to be conveyed. The vaccine reminders or annual recalls are my biggest grievance. If a client has 3 dogs that each receive 2 or 3 vaccines yearly the only way to send out the recall is one item per email per dog. So the client is going to get at least 9 emails telling them that their animals are due. “Fluffy is due for annual exam” “Fluffy is due for annual vaccines” “Fluffy is due for kennel cough vaccine ” “Fluffy is due for Rabies vaccine” Muffy is due for annual vaccines, Muffy is due for kennel cough etc..... There is no way to combine them. Character limit is too low to convey more than just the basic info. Vaccine certificates are also an issue. It will tell you the name of the vaccine but not what they have been vaccinated against. From the management screen you can review who needs to come in [a two step process :( ] but it shows every patient individually and each item for each patient. From here you can send emails but your options for editing are incredibly limited. Oh-outofcharactersnow!

Usability in the field

Reasons for switching to Hippo Manager

Wanted to be able to access the software remotely in the field.

Response from Hippo Manager Software

Paige, Thank you for leaving feedback regarding our cloud veterinary software. We aim to make the usability and experience for every user, simplified and straightforward and we're sorry we've missed the mark with meeting your expectations. We will have a training team member reach out to you regarding client and patient info to be sure you've got access to best practices and customization options within Hippo. We look forward to continuing to work with you and the team at Case Veterinary. We've also logged your requests for feature enhancements and since we're an agile cloud-based solution we can take partner practice seriously and work it into a priority timeline for a future update. Thanks for being a valued member of the Hippo Herd.

Fantastic Software. Can't believe I stuck with the old for so long

The team has been great from a support perspective . My life has been made easier by this software.

Pros

Love that it is mobile enabled. It works where I work

Cons

Had to learn a new system, but overall its simple and intuitive

Response from Hippo Manager Software

"My life has been made easier by this software" is exactly what we are developing Hippo Manager for! We love to hear that our mobility and intuitive design has aided you in practicing veterinary medicine and delivering excellent patient care. Learning a new system is always challenging, but our training and support team are there to help at every step. We appreciate your business!

Replied October 2018

Christy

Hippo review

We have had good experience...we were not previously computerized and this was a pretty good intro. We don't use all the features available but hope to someday.

Pros

It is pretty easy to invoice patients and tech support has been helpful

Cons

We have glitches sometimes with link with credit card processing.

Reasons for choosing Hippo Manager

Cost effective for our small practice

Response from Hippo Manager Software

Hi, Dr. Nicely, We're so happy to be your chosen software as you moved into a computerized veterinary practice and cloud software. Hippo Manager is robust and full of features that are ready to grow with practices of every size! When you're ready to take advantage of all that Hippo Manager has to offer, all users receive 100% free and unlimited customer service and training so veterinary professionals can be ready to take the next step in business and patient care on their terms. We apologize that there's been some glitches with credit card processing, we've recently completed an upgrade which will eliminate these occurrences. As always, any issues that you encounter, please take advantage of our unlimited customer service and support so that we can resolve the question at hand as quickly as possible for you!

Replied October 2019

Jessica

Industry: Veterinary

Medical records software for acupuncture/chiropractic practice

Pros

I like being able to set up Hippo manager to meet my practice needs. I can customize templates that are specific to my type of practice.

Cons

There is a patient portal for clients to access, but the veterinarian does not have control of what goes into that portal unless you leave items unsigned. The portal also does not have a separate medications tab for clients so they have to search through every visit note to find what their RX is. The software does not automatically notify clients if there has been an update in their portal so they know to look at it. Hippo manager is accessible on mobile devices, but is not very usable at least on an iPhone. Can access charts, but scrolling through to read them is very difficult. I use the iPhone the most to upload photos and videos.

Reasons for choosing Hippo Manager

Had more features than Cavanti.

Response from Hippo Manager Software

Dr. Marziani, Your feedback regarding our built-in patient portal is appreciated. We take partner practice feedback seriously and make improvements based on this feedback as soon and as often as we can. Additional functions that further improve the usability of the patient portal is a part of our continuous development cycle and your suggestions have been added! Hippo can be used on any mobile device but, you're right, we don't recommend anything smaller than an iPad. If you have other Apple devices that are larger than your phone you can enable airdrop and upload unlimited photos, videos and files from that larger device so that your experience is better. We're happy you're customizing Hippo Manager to better suit your needs and look forward to providing you practice management that continues to improve and exceed practice partner expectations based on industry demands and feedback from veterinary professionals such as yourself. Thank you again.

Elaine

Overall Fantastic Program

Everyone in the Clinic is able to access the software program and put in their notes without us having to purchase multiple licenses. We only have one Veterinarian, but with our former software program, we had to purchase a license for each computer it was used on.

Pros

Accessibility - I love that people can access it from their phone, tablet, home, etc. Customer Support - The fact that we do not have to pay extra for customer support is a huge plus. In addition, Customer Support is knowledgeable and prompt. Details - The Veterinarian's can put more details in their SOAPs than what they could with our former program.

Cons

Having to learn new ways to do what we did in our former software. I have found that in Hippo we are able to do everything we did in our former software, it is just done a little differently.

Reasons for choosing Hippo Manager

Hippo is located in the United States. Hippo has a Help Manual. The demo we sat in was great. Hippo's Customer Service is beyond reproach. Anytime we ask for guidance, etc., we get a prompt response.

Reasons for switching to Hippo Manager

Cost, customer support, problems with former program not working.

Response from Hippo Manager Software

Hi Elaine, We're so glad you've made the switch to Hippo Manager. Our support team is poised to help practices such as yours, make the switch and shorten the learning curve. Learning a different way to do the same things is challenging when switching any software, not just veterinary PiMS. That's why we offer support and training on an unlimited basis as everyone has different learning needs. We think that complicating pricing or linking pricing to licenses and then additional charges are not ideal for busy veterinary clinics. That's why we only charge per vet per month and never any upcharges or surprise billing for accessing your secure account on any device from anywhere. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for being a valued member of the Hippo Herd!

Jody