All OBS Studio Reviews

OBS time

Charles Boampong

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2022

Best screen recorder and video editing software

As an open-source software that offers an extremely high screen recording and video recording for professional work, I will recommend OBS for everyone, especially new YouTubers, Facebook content managers, and other digital marketers.

PROS

It has a great configuration and advanced tools for video streaming, recording, and editing.

CONS

It can be a little complicated as a first-time user, but you soon discover that it's easy to use.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

A friend recommended OBS to me.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

I found it easier and much more convenient to use OBS.

German Liber

Arts and Crafts, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed January 2021

OBS, the king of streaming (on budget) studios

It was a slow learning curve and at first really confused me, but OBS Studio was the best solution for my project. While looking at the stream I really thought it looked professional, and I was very satisfied.

PROS

I started using OBS while doing a film series in my city, the project was open to the public, but the pandemic forced me to turn the thing into an online project. I used a lot of streaming software at first, skipping OBS for no reason, but when I tried the software I was in awe. The whole package its free to use, while limited sometimes, if you learn how to set it up (Wiki and guides are really useful on the official website), you're good to go. I like to think about OBS as a solution for basic or minimalistic projects. On audio, you can set different audio tracks, separate them and record them. About video, the settings for streaming are useful if your internet connection it's not too good or if your PC/laptop it's not the most powerful out there. The software was using a lot of ram on my laptop at first, but after tweaking the settings a bit, it became really lightweight. You can add a capture device, you can capture your own desktop, a window, you can even add GIFs, images and videos and resize them or drag them through the screen. And yes, you can record on .H264, and that's one of the best things about it. Rookie streamer, if you're reading this and want to take a challenge, download and install OBS right now, it's the best solution for your project if you're on a tight budget.

CONS

As said, sometimes it lags the computer a bit if you didn't set up the whole thing correctly. The instructions guide it's really extensive and things are kind of hard to understand if you're a novice (YouTube tutorials can help you a lot on this).

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

OBS it's free and open source, and I chose it because I had zero money on the project.

Juan pedro

Broadcast Media, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2021

Obs is a really good open source experience

Wonderful experience reliable always on my tool set for all my projects

PROS

You can achieve most you will do with payed software The tools grow on every version and it gets better

CONS

Lack to capture devices connections as AJa for example Today main suppor on black magic products is good but meet to expand this

Price

Sean

Environmental Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2023

OBS is the Industry Standard

I have used OBS and variants (Streamlabs) for years now, it's a dream come true. Makes live streaming game content with Webcam and more a breeze.

PROS

Full control, full flexibility and powerful features makes OBS the #1 choice for all live streaming.

CONS

OBS can be a little daunting to set up, but there are many video tutorials that should help anyone make it do what they need.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

OBS is made for anything, Stream labs is excellent but best suited to game streaming.

T. Ryan

Entertainment, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2021

Extremely powerful tool for broadcasting multiple video and audio sources.

Overall I think OBS is fantastic. It is a bit kludge-y in certain aspects but I have been using it for about a year and a half now and I can't imagine switching to a different tool. It has been able to handle multiple camera scenarios with ease. I just love it.

PROS

This product allowed me to quickly put together professional "studio grade" composite video scenes that were then easily broadcast to a number of online sites. I used it most frequently with Twitch and it has nicely integrated twitch features, but it can also be used to broadcast to facebook or youtube given that you have things configured correctly. The ability to apply video and audio filters as well as support for a variety of different audio and video formats for inset playback was extremely useful.

CONS

This product has a bit of a DIY flair. For anyone with a background in video editing or audio editing it wont take too long to figure out how to set up a scene and broadcast with OBS. However, the onbaording for new users is virtually non existant. I certainly wouldn't give OBS to someone with little to know technical experience and expect them to be successfull. In today's tech landscape, especially when it comes to streaming there are so many unsophisticated users attempting to get started that I think a few more passes to the UX and UI would be beneficial.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

OBS has much better integrated streaming features that many of the other video / screen capturing products i looked at do not.

Saviour

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2022

A Dynamic Tool for your video streaming preference Plus its "Open Source"

Realizing that I can still perform the functions of automation the way I want, I found ease in automation and usability with my team. OBS is a powerful and Dynamic Video tool I can recommend to any similar service provider within the niche. It is simple and consistent, its advanced features are mesmerizing, and its Open Source

PROS

First, I like that Its open source, and with that, it's user-friendly and consistently undergoing integrations to smoothen the user experience. For advanced users, It serves advanced functionalities even while it is an Open source project OBS hardly forces shuts down while in runtime. One of the best features for me is customization. I like that I can tweak my automation with my timelines, to fit my needs.

CONS

Because the product is open source, the latest version upgrade comes with changes in syntax. i.e., Having a lower-third animation function, the commands change with a new update, and it can be difficult to get the product started if you do not visit the developer's forum to follow through with the changes. If you want to implement most settings/preferences to take effect, you may have to restart OBS, which is normal with most software.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

Having all the advanced functions in an Open Source software, with the feature of customization to fit my business needs is Gold for me.

João

Design, 201-500 employees

Reviewed July 2023

OBS Studio: The Swiss Pocket Knife of Streaming

PROS

OBS Studio is free and comes with a wide array of options and features, allowing for a lot of customization.

CONS

Because it is a free software, while it does receive regular updates, they could be more frequent, with more implementation of new features.

JAZE

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2021

What You Should Know About OBS Studio

My ability to stream content and record live events from my PC has been phenomenal thanks to this software... it's easy to use and tons of fun once you get totally used to it.

PROS

The best screen recording software in the game. Add different audio sources, change backgrounds accordingly, livestream with ease... you got it all in one with OBS Studio. Connect any of your favorite social media platforms to use livestream and you'll be totally impressed with what you get, no other software does it better.

CONS

I honestly have no qualms or cons against this software, I have yet to find any.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

I saw a lot of Youtubers going the OBS Studio route so I decided to investigate the software one time. To my surprise, it was the better choice to make.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

The versatility of OBS Studio was what made me change my mind. The stream quality of Icecream is a lot lower than OBS Studio so making the switch for me was a no brainer.

Stanley

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2022

The Best Screen Recording and Video Capture Software

OBS Studio is by far the best screen recording software I have ever used. That in

PROS

The output compression of files is amazing and happens almost instantaneously as you record. The final Output of a HD session is very small at 60fps and this is awesome.

CONS

Forward compatibility for plugins is a major drawback for OBS Studio and it's very irritating to be force to rollback to a previous version due to a failed plugin.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

OBS Studio is not resource intensive as compared to vMix and the price price.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

Price of the license was a bit high and final render took a lot of time to generate.

Tounekti

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed September 2023

my 2 years OBS experience

PROS

I have been using OBS for 2 years and i have never faced any difficulties, comparing to other products OBS is the easiest and it doesn't require high performance machine.

CONS

honestly, I have nothing to complain about but he audio it can be improved I guess

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

i found OBS is better in everything than any other product

YS

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed October 2023

Easy to Use and Stable

PROS

I have tried several other streaming and recording software and OBS is the most stable solution and does what it is advertised. The UI is easy to understand and there are alot of codecs and manual settings to tweak. The file size if the recordings are also reasonable with decent quality. The userbase is massive and there are a lot of guides out there by the community if you are facing any problems.

CONS

It often forces you to update on program launch, which is sometimes frustrating when you have a whole room of conference attendees waiting

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

Dissatisfied with the recording quality and sometimes the video stutters and freezes in some portions

Giovanna

Hospitality, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2019

Reliable tool for recording and streaming!

I have used OBS to successfully stream video gameplay with minimal to no latency or problems. I have also used OBS to record tutorials on how to use different software for work-related projects. Overall, it provided me with exactly what I was looking for.

PROS

I downloaded OBS some years back when streaming was starting to kick off. I considered a handful of different streaming programs, but I keep coming back to this one. OBS works great because it is lightweight and powerful. It doesn't take up a lot of memory space, doesn't create lag or latency and the screen recording delay is minimal. If you are playing a game and streaming, it doesn't slow your FPS (frames per second) rate, and it works great with any decent computer set up out there. If you can run any of the popular games out there, you can run OBS. It works great with Twitch, and it being open sourced means it is a budding streamer's best friend. Simple tools let you manage your screen recordings along with sound, screen transitions, and a captioning option; while providing extra tools that help streamline your projects. With a tool kit that is practical and easy to understand, OBS excels at providing just what you want for your screen recording and streaming needs.

CONS

OBS isn't tailored to any specific use or website. It focuses on general use for streaming and/or screen recording. For this reason, it lacks some of the flash and bang that other streaming software may be able to provide. Although the tools are easy to understand, it's not as intuitive as other programs and may require a little time to learn, especially if you are not familiar with similar software.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

Overall, OBS is affordable (being open sourced), has great updates, and is lightweight while still giving me both screen recording and streaming tools. I found a few other programs didn't perform well, didn't save in the format or resolution I was looking for. I also experienced problems where the audio fell out of sync with the image. I have never had any of these issues while using OBS, which is why it's been my number one, most reliable choice for several years now.

Roya

Entertainment, 10,000+ employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed August 2020

The Recorder and Broadcaster's Homeland: OBS Studio, the Free Resource

OBS Studio is the successor to the original Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) application, delivering a lot of serious Quality of Life benefits to the software and allowing for a more Professional Grade look while also not having nearly as many problems as the original OBS suffered from; while OBS Studio suffered in its earlier years because many of those who adopted to this from the original OBS were on noticeable lower end hardware (such as myself), the performance handicaps that it suffered from have only dissipated over time as computer hardware evolved and allowed for more accessibility; now plentiful games, applications, and videos that were attempted to be recorded and/or aired using the software five years ago are noticeably easier to run now and that is essential towards the future of its life going forward. In 2016, I personally used OBS Studio to get back into Live Broadcasting, with me even recording the first and only North American commentary of Star Cruiser (Sharp X68000) on the application in July of 2019, and with the improvements that have come as it evolved, I can easily recommend OBS Studio to anybody getting into any form of Yellow Collar work; it may require some messing around with the settings to optimize certain projects, but the end result will always pay off far better than anticipated, it's not often that one finds free resources such as this and OBS Studio will forever remain on your person if you need to record or go on the air without a hitch.

PROS

~ Virtually Lossless recording quality when capturing footage locally in any available framerate and resolution provided by the software. ~ Plentiful visual effects and the ability to layer multiple images and clips allows for a Broadcast Quality and Professional Grade template and appeal for any project or Live airing. ~ Customization of User Interface themes allows for proper Eye Care when in Dark Mode. ~ Users of the software who are running an Intel CPU that has QuickSync will see a reduced load on their Graphics Card by about 05% to help improve performance and stability in GPU~intensive workloads.

CONS

~ RAM consumption is high and not meant for modern systems with 016 GB or less without the proper CPU and Graphics Card combo. ~ Users who have a CPU and Graphics Card with a low core/thread/pipeline count, frequency, and VRAM can expect noticeable framerate dips and massive performance instabilities, especially when using hardware that is running on older architectures. ~ Footage may occasionally get inexplicably cropped Horizontally when imported into Vegas Pro and other video editing software for Post~Production. ~ Not fully compatible with all forms of Video Capture devices, Webcams, and Professional Grade Cameras (though there are workarounds for some forms of hardware).

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

As stated, I upgraded to OBS Studio from the original OBS, the latter of which was optimized better for lower end CPU/GPU/RAM combos while Studio handled the more Heavy Duty workloads on HEDT (High End Desktop) systems; while there are some production elements that make OBS Studio feel a bit more limited than Classic OBS (certain features in Classic OBS were not carried over to Studio), the upgrade to Studio was ultimately a mandatory situation, as the original was getting discontinued at a certain point and many users had to force themselves to get used to the new platform in a similar fashion to how many websites may change their layout and API every year or few. Overall though, the transition from Classic OBS to OBS Studio was a smooth one, though I am still critical of the fact that Studio lacks certain features and display mechanics that were done better in the original; in the event that these are ever brought back, then I will happily change my mindset on Studio as it is at the time of typing, both incarnations of the software are good in their own right and a Hybrid of the two would be an ideal change for the software going forward.

Christopher

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Inexpensive solution to your streaming video production needs

We use the OBS box as a headend for an RTMP stream. Using OBS gave us far more control over the output to the streaming site, including the ability to transition from various sources and add overlays to the outgoing video.

PROS

Wide variety of features and effects. Highly customizable. Active development team and user forums group. In latest version, OBS output can be configured as a virtual web camera compatible with popular video conferencing software. OBS is also a highly effective for recording desktop presentations or walkthroughs.

CONS

The learning curve is very steep. Documentation is available but is written for the tech savvy. Certain esoteric bugs are long standing and have not been fixed necessitating workarounds.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

OBS is free, which we found appealing. The feature set for both Xsplit and OBS were essentially the same.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

We were using a BoxCast digital encoding rig to stream a daily student run television show. Using OBS we were able to return the hardware box and set up out own RTMP streaming system using left over hardware from the tech lab.

Thomas

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2020

The Best Option for Streaming, Bar None

I use OBS for various livestreams that I manage throughout the week and it's perfect. Once you've got your scenes and everything set up the way you want, it's one button push an you're off to the races.

PROS

There's not much to dislike about this software. I've been using it pretty consistently for 5 years, and if you're looking to manage any kind of livestream, there aren't many options that come close to this. It allows you to manage multiple scenes, add custom transitions/overlays, create hotkeys, etc. I could go on, but I have never even considered switching software.

CONS

There's literally nothing to dislike about the software. Not only is it completely free, it's the premier streaming platform. It's constantly evolving and getting better. The only thing I could possibly say is there's a potential learning curve, but if you have any background in video production, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

OBS is free. While, yes, there might be something of a learning curve, there's no reason to pay for any other software, because OBS does literally anything you would need it to do.

Dale

Wholesale, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2022

Best FREE screen and stream recording software out there

Overall i've found OBS to be a great free streaming software. For the purpose of streaming its fantastic with all the 'bells and whistles' next to the paid version that are out there. I've used it in both capacities for streaming gaming to twitch, as well as an educational stream over twitch through both schools and colleges.

PROS

The fact that OBS Studio is free and open source. It has tons of support and a very well rounded community backing its use. Any issues using the software is quickly solved by the great cupport community. Other than this the software is very intuitive and easy to use, especially if the main purpose is streaming, and screen sharing across a stream.

CONS

The issue I had with the software was calibrating OBS audio so that there were no delays in the streams audio. The good thing about this however, is there is a built in audio delay where you can purposefully delay someones audio so it matches the delay of other person streaming or recording. Not only is audio delay and issue, but audio sync with the video being streamed, but this has got far beter with each version update.

Reason for choosing OBS Studio

OBS had a easier user interface and the over UX semmed far easy for a beginner to use than other software of this type.

Melody Kay

Religious Institutions, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2021

Free streaming software, with the features of a paid one!

We use OBS Studio for live streaming of our church services every Sunday. It has allowed us to provide multiple views and scenes, and to insert scrolling text, our church logo, etc --- all of these we used to not be able to do when we were streaming directly from Facebook

PROS

OBS Studio has been our go-to streaming software ever since because it is FREE, first of all. There are so many features and functionalities in OBS that you'd feel like a professional when you use it for streaming. It is also very widely used that it's easy to get support for issues we encounter.

CONS

It's not that easy to learn how to use it if you're not tech-savvy. It would require a number of times of use to get used to it.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

Streaming directly to Facebook didn't allow us to have much control over what we were streaming.

Sean