All OpenShot Video Editor Reviews

Jacob Ira

Computer Hardware, 2 - 10 employees

Used unspecified

Reviewed February 2024

Just works and its free!!!

Omkar

Telecommunications, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed June 2021

Openshot Video Editor is a great software

My experience with OpenShot Video Editor so far has been great. My experience with OpenShot Video Editor so far has been great. 2 years ago I installed this software, still it is in my computer. All its options are amazing. Because of me, my friends have also installed this software.

PROS

If seen, this OpenShot software is a very good software for editing YouTube videos. Along with this, there are many great options in this, with the help of which we will be able to edit the video very easily. I installed this software in my computer 2 years ago, since then I have never needed other software. The best thing about this software is that 5 tracks are already given in it, with the help of which we can combine different things in one video. Along with this, the options for editing videos in this software are given above such as video, audio, images, transitions, and effects. If seen, all the effects in OpenShot are incredible.

CONS

This software does not have the option to download the effect online, if you add it then it will be great. At the same time, there is a shortcoming in this which can be corrected by adding the option of direct YouTube video upload. Also adding a 3D animation plugin to it would be great.

Thierno Sadou

Human Resources, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2023

My opinion on OpenShot Video Editor: a free and complete video editing tool

OpenShot Video Editor is an excellent video editing software for beginners and advanced users. Although it has some minor drawbacks, the feature set it offers for free makes it an attractive choice for people who want to edit videos professionally or personally.The software is easy to use and has a friendly user interface, offering advanced features such as multi-track support, transition effects, image overlay, and support for many video file formats .Although the performance of the software may sometimes be slow, the developers are constantly working to improve the software and fix the problems encountered by the users.All in all, OpenShot Video Editor is a great choice for beginners and advanced users looking to edit videos professionally or personally, offering a free, comprehensive and easy-to-use video editing experience.

PROS

OpenShot Video Editor is an excellent video editing software, providing many advantages for users. Here are some of the most notable advantages of this software:Free: OpenShot is free open-source software, which means anyone can use it at no additional cost.User-Friendly Interface: The user interface is very user-friendly and easy to use even for beginners. It is easy to find the necessary features and tools to perform video editing tasks.Advanced Features: OpenShot offers a full range of advanced features, including multi-track support, text editing, image overlay, transition effects, and more.Cross-platform compatibility: OpenShot is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux users, making it a convenient choice for people using different platforms.Active community: The OpenShot community is very active and provides technical support for users when needed.Overall, OpenShot Video Editor is a comprehensive and free video editing software that can meet the needs of both beginners and advanced users.

CONS

Although OpenShot Video Editor is an excellent video editing software, there are some drawbacks that might not be suitable for all users. Here are some things to consider before using OpenShot:Software Performance: OpenShot can sometimes be sluggish and unstable, especially when processing large video files. This can be frustrating for users who need to complete video editing tasks faster.Bugs: The software may contain bugs which may make it difficult to use certain features. However, OpenShot's developers are constantly working to fix problems and improve the software.Limited Documentation: The documentation for OpenShot is a bit limited, which can make it difficult for novice users to understand some features.Export Quality: Exporting videos can sometimes cause image and sound quality issues, especially when exporting to certain file formats. Users should be careful when exporting their projects to avoid these issues.In sum, although OpenShot Video Editor is an excellent choice for both beginners and advanced users, it is important to consider the limitations and possible problems before using it.

Brian

Entertainment, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2020

So frustrating

If I had the money to afford PowerDirector on my own, I'd buy it. I don't, so I'm stuck with this clunker. I assure you this is not an ad for PD. I 'm sure there are many better programs out there. But OpenShoot just frustrates me to no end, and PD is my only other frame of reference.

PROS

It's free, and if I was starting from scratch and using this and learning along the way, I would probably love it ... because I wouldn't know any better. I got it because right now my budget doesn't allow for anything better, and it's the closest to what I use at work, PowerDirector, which I love.

CONS

It's very frustrating to use when you're used to using a platform that is easy to learn and relatively intuitive. For instance, while you can see how far into a video you are (e.g., 01:06:25). It's on the lefthand side of the timeline. But if you click on that (say to jump forward or backward), it takes you all the way back to the beginning. Now there is a place in the lefthand column (that pops up with some digging around), but it renders the time in *seconds*. So, for instance, right now I'm working on a 1 hour, 10 minute project, so if I want to jump forward or backward, I have to calculate the time in seconds (e.g., going from 1,284 seconds to 1,173 seconds) by translating that from minutes. Whereas in PowerDirector, I just click on the time stamp in the right, type in the place to which I want to jump and, voila, I'm there once I hit enter. Another frustration I'm dealing with at this moment is how difficult the minimize functions are. I want to be able to see all the images I plan to insert in one window, but the video playback screen goes over that. So I minimize the video window. It virtually disappears, and it takes a stroke of luck to get the window containing my images and other videos and titles to appear as I want it. Once I do that, I try to get the video back. I have to shut it down, hoping the project doesn't save as it's currently configured because that does me no good. This is too much wasted time when you're editing a 1 hour, 10 minute video!

Reasons for switching to OpenShot Video Editor

Because PowerDirector is something I can only use at work.

Abdullah

Banking, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed April 2020

Excellent Video Editor For Professionals

OpenShot Video editor is a professional video editing utility which has been admired by number of professionals all arround the world due to its remarkably easy and simple to use interface. It has all necessary tools and buttons which are required for excellent video editing experience. The main reason of OpenShot popularity is becuase it is available free of cost and can be downloaded from its official page. OpenShot video editor supports 70+ languages and can be transalated online via LaunchPad.

PROS

OpenShot video editor is very easy and simple to use software. The user can select different options like adding text, images and audio visuals to their videos to make them attractive and nice. Different available themes can be selected from the menu with single click which complete the video editing task quickly. The slow and speed up of videos can be done and further you can also trim and re-arrange the videos. There are many audio editing features by which you can adjust and split audio from your videos and adjust each audio individually. Flying text and beautiful 3D animations can be added and users can also adjust colors and brightness of videos very easily. OpenShot supports unlimited layers so we can add as many layers as we required to our videos.

CONS

According to my point of view, there should be more background animation presets in this Software. Because if we are designing the composition from scratch, often we need background effects. So if the users will able to apply more background animation options, that will be really awesome. Overall we can do almost everything related to video editing in this software.

Haris

Chemicals, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed May 2021

Incredible Video Editing Software

I always use Openshot video editor when i need to make some exciting edited videos. The software is very easy to use and available on free of cost. Openshot Video Editor supports multiple formats and can be easily downloaded from their website. My overall experience with this software is very amazing and i strongly recommend Openshot video editor to the professionals who are looking for exciting video editing experience.

PROS

The videos can be edited in a very simple way by just drag and drop and you can add animations, watermark, sound effects and many other exciting things in your videos. I am using this software for last 3 years and always found it very helpful and full of exciting features. In Openshot video editor you can also trim your videos and add flying text and 3D animations. You can also speed up and slow down your videos according to your need. The interface is so simple and understandable one can easily use this software without any problem.

CONS

As of my experience i have never face any difficulty in Openshot video editor. The software always provide me all the necessary tools and features which i need and to make my videos beautiful and colorful.

Muddassar

Apparel & Fashion, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed April 2020

Professional and Open-Source Video Editor

I have used the software to edit my own personal videos. Also, I have edited the videos of my clients. The software has helped me to create compositions from scratch to the advanced level. No doubt, OpenShot is the really simple and powerful video editor. I really like this software, because I have created a number of stunning videos using the OpenShot. I can export the video in different formats. So sometimes I export or save my work as a MP4 file and sometimes I use other formats. So my overall experience with this video editor is really incredible.

PROS

OpenShot is the best and perfect video editor. We can download the software free of cost because this is open-source software. This software is very easy to learn because the dashboard interface is very simple. We can easily understand the features and functions of different panels. From the effects and transitions panel, we can drag and drop beautiful effects in our timeline. We can create a lot of layers for your different videos and soundtracks. We can also apply different beautiful animations like fade, bounce, slide and more.

CONS

I would really like if I will able to find more plugins or templates on the official website of OpenShot. No doubt, there are hundreds of effects, features, and transitions that we can also simply apply from the software. Only if they add some external plugins in the website, that will be really Awesome. So for me, all other features of OpenShot Video Editor are really fabulous.

Ismaël Huberson

Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2022

OpenShot Video Editor

This is so easy to use and edit. Plus it's completely free and I love that.

PROS

OpenShot Video Editor is a powerful video editor that allows you to create quality compositions using photo, audio and video files. It is a fun and intuitive video editor with a ton of great features. The fact that it is open source makes it a great tool that can be used by everyone. I have used it in a number of projects, the most recent being a video recording of a conference I hosted.

CONS

this software is just great and it is totally free.

Syed

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Reviewed August 2020

OpenShot Video Editor is a great tool to make a perfect video

OpenShot is a versatile tool. My experience to work with it is great.

PROS

I am using OpenShot almost daily to make varities type of videos and this is really a handy tool to make videos quickly. I can mix and match my all video elemants, also I can add extra tools if I need from the OpenShot. It's really easy to get a complete video with in few minutes and I think you don't need to be an expart video editor to work with Openshot. Now a days, so may people has their own channel and they also want to make videos to show everyone and I think OpenShoot is perfect for inexpert people. For official use Openshot is a great video editor.

CONS

As a regular user of OpenShot I would say it's a great tool. But I wish if they could have more additional elemants and tools then it will be more easier to complete videos. However, I like use this tool and this is make my task esay.

Sarada

Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2020

The friendly video editing software

Before finding this software I faced many problems using different video editing software. That software was more complicated and difficult to use. anyway, the outcome also not much good. But after finding this software I'm making high-quality videos without any difficulties with minimum time-consuming. I would like to say this is the best software for video editing because this is very friendly software anyone can use this with the minimal knowledge. The good thing is the best quality videos we can make within a minimum time period.

PROS

The best thing about this software is easy to control or use. It means the way of using this software very much familiar to me. This is free software. Nowadays most of the peoples are using this software to make the videos. Especially, When they are making videos for the business promoting purpose. Personally I'm using this software to make the video clip by using the pictures. Then I can use the audio track also. Othe thing is I can insert the letters to my video, Finally I can make the subtitles also. I like this software and recently I installed the latest version of this software.

CONS

So far I don't have much problem during using of this software, But I think it is some difficulties I felt during the making of subtitles. It was a little bit of getting more time. Still, I'm also studying about this software. I think later on It will be ok for me.

Henriette

Internet, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2022

OpenShot Video Editor

To process your videos, I recommend OpenShot Video Editor, it's very nice

PROS

This tool is really amazing, I process two videos every day on this software without any problem, and the quality is very good

CONS

In truth, it is a good software, I personally have no problem

Minette

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed July 2021

video editing software for beginners

i think it a good video software for beginers and i think it is more compatible with windows 10

PROS

i think it is good for converting standard video sizes like 640x480 or 720x480 screensizes to HD 720p quality output but you need to do some adjustments in the settings of each video at the timeline

CONS

im having trouble rendering previews when it is used in windows 7

Reasons for switching to OpenShot Video Editor

it is easier to use. it has more features in the gallery section and also i dont have trouble renedering previews.

Umair

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2020

The best free and Open Source Video Editing Software

Almost always I use OpenShot for my video editing projects. I record videos and then upload them to Social Media. So before uploading, I always edit the videos in OpenShot. I have also edited a lot of videos for my clients in this Software. So my overall experience with OpenShot is really awesome. Transitions and effects panels of this software are really awesome. Because I have applied transitions and effects to my videos using these two panels.

PROS

You can download OpenShot for any Platform. No matter you are a Windows user, Linux user or Mac user. You can download and use this software Because it’s totally free and open-source. According to my point of view, OpenShot is the best free video editing software. You can easily import the project, then you can drag and drop the components in the timeline of your composition. Then you can apply stunning effects and transitions to your files.

CONS

According to my point of view, there should be more options for 3d editing. Or there should be some external plugins or modules that can be helpful for the 3d editing in OpenShot. All other things about this software are really Incredible.

Jawad

Internet, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2022

OpenShot Video Editor software review

OpenShot Video Editor is really great for video editing

PROS

To create my short promotional product videos, I use this nice video editing tool in good quality

CONS

Sometimes my videos take a long time to be recorded.

Sean

Religious Institutions, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2019

Free Open-Source Video Editor thats pretty good

its been nice. Trying to dive in head first without tutorials or learning any tips and tricks was difficult. It's not as intuitive as many editors are but its a free open source software so...it is what it is.

PROS

For someone who doesn't have an unending flow of cash. A free reliable video editor is a tough thing to find. Couple that with the fact that its open source, and ever improving. OpenShot is a great option for those on a strict budget. Other than the fact that its free, it does most everything you'd expect out of a video editor. Also with online tutorials, learning is easy and free as well!

CONS

obviously not as comprehensive as say Adobe Premiere. But unless you have an extra arm and a leg, that can break the bank easily. Especially with the way children these days are mesmerized by the thought of being a YouTuber, if you're a parent, OpenShot is a great alternative. Not as intuitive either...big turn off for video editing.

Reason for choosing OpenShot Video Editor

I'm a big fan of open source software. why pay for something when you can get it for free. it may be a bit behind in the game but its a good alternative to shelling out hundreds of $$$.

Eddie

Online Media, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2022

This Video Editor Is GARBAGE!

It Is Complete GARBAGE AND SHOULD BE THROWN AWAY AS SUCH! GO TO ADOBE SOFTWARE PRODUCTS, THEY MAY BE PRICY BUT ITS WORTH IT! UNLIKE THIS TRASH VIDEO EDITOR!

PROS

Zero pros! It's complete trash! If you like waiting 20-30 minutes of it freezing in between 3 seconds of it not freezing every second then your an idiot

CONS

Freezes every 3 seconds for 20-30 minutes at a time without you pressing anything or doing anything. The video refuses to play back, you will end up waiting 2 hours for your original uncut raw footage to even play, if your lucky!

Reasons for switching to OpenShot Video Editor

Couldn't afford subscription renewal to Adobe Software Products.

Hi Eddie, I am sorry that you had so many issues with OpenShot Video Editor. Our release version is more than a year old, and we've learned much since then. Our developers are constantly making improvements to the program, but they add them to our Daily Builds, not the release version. You can download our latest Daily Build from our website to review our latest feature enhancements, bug fixes, and performance improvements. The address is https://www.openshot.org/download/#daily. If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with our Technical Support Help Desk through Email at support@openshot.org.

Replied September 2022

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Used less than 12 months

Reviewed May 2021

It's Good For Light And Home Videos

Overall it was a rather pleasant experience. Especially since it allowed me to explore the world of editing and develop my skills on a low-end computer with relative ease. I'd recommend it to everyone I know who's wanting to start.

PROS

I like how simple the software. Plain drag, drop and adjust. It's super lightweight and it rarely stutters on low-end PCs unless your videos are in 60 fps or something. I really like the app because it was what allowed me to edit short videos on relatively low effort and what got me aiming higher and higher until I needed more developed software to achieve the results I was looking for. I recommend this for those who want to edit home videos or even if you just want to learn the basics of editing without having to necessarily dive too deep and learn all of the advanced techniques.

CONS

Even though the software is rather simple it should at least have a few options here and there for basic adjustments like exposure, lights and shadows. It's a small thing but the main reason why I had to move onto other software.

Adnan

Banking, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed April 2021

The Best Video Editor for Video Editing

My overall experience with OpnShot Video Editor is really nice because I have edited a lot of videos using this software. I always edit my business videos with OpenShot Video Editor.

PROS

OpenShot is an incredibly professional video editing software for video editors. The tools are really powerful and simple to use. You can edit and compose videos from scratch to the advanced level.

CONS

There are a lot of features and functions that we can use in OpenShot Video Editor, But if the administration will add some extended 3d animation plugin, that would be greater. All other features are amazing.

Telecommunications, 10,000+ employees