Browse iMovie Reviews

Nabin from Curl Labs

Free and official video editor for the Apple devices

With iMovie, we have been able to deliver the highest quality of video ads for our clients.

Pros

iMovie is a production-grade video editor that is easy to use, supports a wide range of file formats, and exports movies in up to 8K resolution. It is an official video editor developed by Apple for its devices. Comes with generic templates to produce a video quickly.

Cons

It consumes huge disk space. Needs high processing power and RAM storage. Lacks animation features.

Reasons for Choosing iMovie

iMovie is free and has most of the editing capabilities needed to produce commercial videos.

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

iMovie is robust, fast, free, and works well on Apple computers to create outstanding videos on the breeze.

Arturo from Marke-think

The video editor that gets you out of trouble

In summary, I highly recommend this video editor to make a simple, easy and fast video for your school work or something casual as I said before, but if it is for something more professional, I highly recommend using another video editor, because of the different tools that these have and not iMovie.

Pros

This video editor comes bundled with your Apple device, so you can enjoy this service without having to pay for it. Let's talk about the advantages of this video editor software, we can say that it is quite simple to create a video or a trailer that even comes with some templates with different themes according to your work, but honestly the templates that iMovie gives you, are very simple and even already known so I do not recommend using them so much. Afterwards, to start making the video, you just need to choose videos or images from your reel, and it's a matter of dragging and dropping them. You can add transitions, animations and even music if you want to have a better atmosphere to the video. Finally you can share it with Airdrop or to any social network in the same way.

Cons

It could be that it is very "basic", since to do it for a school job or something casual like gathering several family photos and videos of the last vacation, it can be accepted, but if it is for a fairly important exam or for some work that you are asked to do, I do not recommend it so much, I would recommend another type of video editor, since you can't do much in iMovie other than drag, drop and share your video, so if it's for some casual work fine, but if it's for something more important, use another more complete and professional video editor.

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

Because it is professional, because of the high quality tools available and because it is free to the public!

Ogochukwu from Okafors Hub

iMovie is really trying

I had the privilege to use iMovie on my Mac Computer. I think the company need to create other versions that can support Windows, Android and etc.

Pros

It tool has better features when compared to other video editing tool like Movavi Video editor.

Cons

It supports only Apple products, including MacOS and MacIOS, people on Windows and Android cannot download nor use iMovie.

Rachel from Wake Media

Industry: Broadcast Media

December 2021

iMovie: great for beginners, but definitely not for the pros

This is what I began my editing experience using when I started my position in high school. It is a great learning tool, but I would honestly consider this to be a “training wheels” program for editors.

Pros

This would definitely help beginners or people that just need simple tasks completed, like editing clips together and nothing more. It is intuitive, fast, and extremely easy to figure out on your own.

Cons

I do not like how basic iMovie is. There are minimal things that can be done when creating videos with it. This can be helpful for some people, but for those who would like to edit and make their video actually look good, this is not for them.

Ashley from Modality Org., Inc

Industry: Mental Health Care

iMovie for small businesses and students

We had to watch YouTube tutorial videos to understand all of the features and how to use them. An optional brief training or overview on the basics would have been helpful. This is not for beginners if you don't have experience using software and editing. However, once you finally get the hang of it, the end product always comes out looking professional and clean.

Pros

The end product looks very professional because of all the editing tools that really bring out details and show quality. Adding music, adjusting the timing of scenes, and words on screen were easy features to use.

Cons

Uploading media, organizing projects by folders, and finding media in the various folders was difficult and confusing. Also, there weren't pointers or explanations to walk you through. The "help" and FAQ on the Apple site did not provide much support, or the detailed instructions without definitions and clarity were hard to follow.

Reasons for Choosing iMovie

We work off of Mac/Apple products, so iMovie was more compatible with our operating systems.

Phil from PMR Photography

Industry: Photography

Simple Solution

Pros

A simple solution for making marketing videos and slideshows.

Cons

The UX can be hard to learn but easy to navigate.

Craig from HMSA

The Perfect Video Editing Software for Beginners

I learned how to video edit thanks to iMovie’s simple, intuitive, and inviting design. I moved on only because my needs became way more complex. I would absolutely recommend this software to someone who is interested in video editing.

Pros

Ease of use, accessibility, and intuitive navigation. The UI is perfectly functional, which is what a beginner needs (rather than aesthetically pleasing but shallow).

Cons

The lack of features as my video editing needs became more and more complex. But, again, iMovie more than gave me what I needed while I was using it.

Hannah from N/A

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Amazing for College Projects

Pros

When I was in college I used iMovie for many of my assignments since I had to make mini videos. I tried using other software, however iMovie has been the user friendly and free to use. This is a great software to use for first time users.

Cons

I have used this software for 4 years and I have never had any issues with it.

Jessie from PromoPlace

December 2021

So easy to use for making movies/trailers!

I've loved using iMovie as it helps bring my ideas to life.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use for making short movies/trailers.

Cons

I don't like how much space it takes up, basic videos can take up so much space!

December 2021

IF you own a MAC this is the tool

Pros

The like that the software comes for free with my MAC. It has a clean interface and had many of the feature expensive alternatives have. It also has a lot of good transitions that make for interesting videos

Cons

It can be a bit confusing to start using. Adding audio and then cutting the video can cause the audio to no longer be in sync. This takes some time to understand.

Nickolette from Hospital

iMovie Review

It makes editing my YouTube videos so much easier, and I love that fact that their isn’t a watermark with name of the app when I save my videos.

Pros

I recently started a YouTube channel and iMovie is a God sent for me. It makes my editing life so easy! I am able to cut out parts of the video or footage that I don’t want. Mute the footage and speed up the videos. All my projects are saved on the app once the videos are still in my phone. So I can go back re-edit if I want to. You are also given the option of creating your own or you are able to use a template provided by the app, and you can just edit and make it your own. It’s user friendly, and it makes editing a lot of fun, and super easy. When you add multiple videos, a transition is automatically added by the app for you. I love the app! I would recommend 100% to anyone! Fast, easy and reliable.

Cons

The one thing about this app I which could be changed tho, is to add a faster speed to speed up videos, but you can save the video and add speed again. Apart from that this is a great app! I 100% recommend.

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

I hate the watermark that came with KineMaster. iMovie is a lot better and user friendly.

michele from IIS Mattei

Video editing molto semplice da usare

Programma ben fatto, stabile e semplice da usare. Ha le funzioni di base necessarie per i video editing casalingo e, per alcuni dispositivi, consente la produzione di video in 4K.

Pros

Questo software è incluso in tutti i dispositivi Apple ed è estremamente facile da usare. Consente di creare video e trailer di qualità professionale con pochi tocchi aggiungendo una grande varietà di effetti di transizione tra le scene, titoli e sottotitoli e diverse colonne sonore ed effetti speciali. Per gli utenti un pochetto più avanzati è possibile inserire due video Picture in Picture oppure con lo schermo diviso (stile intervista doppia) o con il green-blue screen. Con quest’ultima possibilità è possibile sopperire alle funzionalità limitate sui titoli e sulle animazioni da inserire in post produzione perché si possono creare tutte le cosa da inserire in un altro software (tipo Keynote), esportarle come immagini o video e poi importarle nel progetto eliminando lo sondo verde o blu. E’ inoltre possibile registrare o inserire tracce audio da sostituire all’audio originale oppure farne un missaggio (basilare) regolandone i volumi in maniera appropriata.

Cons

Nella versione per iPad non sono disponibili tutte le colonne sonore della versione per Mac. E’ possibile rimediare solo scaricando musica gratis da database esterni. Titoli e sottotitoli son un po’ macchinosi da usare. Peccato sia disponibile solo per la piattaforma Apple.

Daniel from Mable

iMovie: The Beginner’s Best Friend!

Apple’s iMovie is a rather under the radar video editing software but it is actually quite impressive. There are many things that it can do well and it is especially good for video editors who are starting out. Personally, I would highly recommend iMovie to anyone beginning to learn video editing or anyone who wants a video editor that runs wonderfully on Macs.

Pros

iMovie has many advantages and new features especially since the recent updates. You can clearly see the “Apple philosophy” in the interface of iMovie as it is as simple as a video editor can be. The elegant and clean interface is very intuitive to use and great for beginners. The interface is quite similar to other powerful video editors, so iMovie is a great place to start learning. When you first use the software, there are useful tooltips that appear as you navigate iMovie instead of a full tutorial. The titles and transitions are also incredibly easy to add to a video, and still look quite professional for a free program. Moreover, iMovie has great integration with other Apple products such as iCloud, iMovie on iPhone and even Apple TV to view your movies. Furthermore, iMovie is very well optimised on Mac’s and it works flawlessly especially on the recent M1 Macs. You can easily scrub through 4K video without a hitch! And remember, iMovie is completely free for Mac users and with all these features it’s clear that iMovie is the best free video editor for beginners that have a Mac.

Cons

iMovie does lack a few features and export formats compared to other video editors but what it currently has is implemented seamlessly and beautifully. The interface can also be ‘too’ simple for professional video editors, at times. There are also some advanced features like 360 video and multi cam that are missing but this is to be expected in free video editors.

Arlene from Own Project

If you're a Mac user, use this!

Pros

It's kind of crazy to think that I have this software on my Mac and I can use it and edit my videos with it completely for free. When it comes to features I like about iMovie, there are several. First of all, keyboard shortcuts...they save me so much time! Trailers and themes are another thing that enable me to enhances my videos easily and quickly. Since I often record videos with my smartphone, it's great to be able to work on my videos in iMovie on my phone too. Filters, music and sounds, in particular, are great assets that let me take my recordings to the next level without having to spend hours in the editing phase.

Cons

One thing I've noticed is that when I export videos edited in iMovie they seem to be quite large files in terms of size. This could become a problem if my computer starts to run low on storage...

Sam from Sam Carleton Design

iMovie - The best editor to start with!

Overall, my experience with iMovie is good. While I definitely prefer more robust video editing programs, iMovie is still my go-to when introducing new people to video editing. iMovie does simplicity and better than any other video program, which makes it an amazing pice of software for a quick video.

Pros

The best feature that iMovie has to offer is its overall simplicity. I love that someone with very little video experience can open up iMovie and get started with a video project right away. iMovie takes a lot of the confusing thought out of video editing and instead allows users to quickly drag and drop and move things around. Perhaps the best hidden feature of iMovie is its ability to quickly generate cinematic movie trailers—complete with music and text. iMovie has some great pre-made templates that really make video editing fun and intuitive.

Cons

While iMovie is great for its simplicity, its simplicity is also its downfall. While iMovie can still accomplish a significant amount when it comes to video editing, it lacks more of the precise and robust features offered by other video editing programs such as Adobe Premiere and Final Cut. Having learned video editing on more advanced software, switching back to iMovie was quite difficult. Because it is so simple, the workflow looks vastly different than the majority of video editing softwares. It lacks motion integration, detailed colorization and timeline size/format setup and exporting, for example. However, these features aren't fully necessary for a great product.

Hope from MCM-Meridian

Industry: Museums and Institutions

Good free editing software.

I use iMovie to edit short videos for YouTube and for podcasts. I enjoy how easy it is to learn and that it has most features needed for basic editing. Sometimes I feel like iMovie takes too many steps to get things done, but it does do them. It’s also a free software.

Pros

I like: - ease of learning software (it is much easier to learn and more user friendly than some softwares like Adobe) - free (comes free with all Apple products!) - has good features (picture in picture, text in picture)

Cons

I dislike: - not as many features as some other software - some things take more steps (putting Picture in Picture in a video, for example, is a 4 step Process)

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

I no longer had access to my old jobs Adobe account and had this already on my Mac

Abdul Raafi from Sanatu Zambang

A Beginners best guide to learn and still produce quality material

I use iMovie for my very first paying jobs when I started so many years ago. So I really hold it very fondly. It taught me so many basics that became the fundamentals upon which I developed advanced skills when I transitioned to other more advanced software. But I still keep it for the very light projects, and for training new interns on the basic concepts they need to learn when they start out.

Pros

It is extremely easy to learn and use. Another great feature about iMovie is that it does not require an active internet connection in order to function. Being able to drag and drop has also allowed me to successfully get my little nieces interested in video work, and now they get to work on school projects and produce video content for their school social media pages with iMovie.

Cons

Color correction in iMovie is quite limited, to be honest. But I only used it at the very beginning of my career when the demands were not as great. So as an amateur or entry-level tool, I don't think I can complain too much about that.

My Go-To Movie Editor

iMovie has served us well for producing our daily devotions for our church.

Pros

iMovie is the simplest movie editor I've used that could still produce a high-quality movie.

Cons

This program seems a bit slow and often freezes. It takes forever to output a movie, especially a big one.

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

I switched back to iMovie as Davinci Resolve was overkill for what I wanted to do and the learning curve for me was much too steep at the time.

Matteo from Matteo Reato

Perfect for personal use

I loved it for personal use, despite I'm a professional Video Producer/Motion Designer. Realize video/photo slideshow for friends and family are so fast and easy.

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive and rich of useful features. It has evertything a video-editing software need to have for personal use with no purpose of professional use. Perfect for editing Photo slideshow, Vacation videos, Family videos. On a Mac platform it's absolutely a MUST HAVE, perfect integration with all Mac libraryes. Really useful also the integration with iOS app, so you can Edit in mobility and finish it at home.

Cons

A little bit tricky the timeline and not so easy understand clearly the duration of clips. Sometime it makes you nervous to understand some editing steps. It's not a cross platform software, it works only on Apple devices.

Reasons for Choosing iMovie

already present in Apple devices, and really superior to 90% of free alternatives in terms of easy-to-use and quality.

Rebecca from Market Research

Industry: Market Research

iMovie Is Okay To Use

Pros

I have been using iMovie for editing and making youtube videos. I love the filters and how you can put in the text and images. iMovie I have been using since my first iPhone and I am okay with it. The easiest part is putting in the videos. I also like it because it is a free software to use.

Cons

I have a least favorite about iMovie because sometimes the program itself does crash. It slows down a lot and what I also don't like about is not many video editors like myself use it to edit videos. iMovie sometimes does slow down. To the point I have to exit out the software and I have to start over on making the trailers I create for my books. I also hate the fact that it does not have very many choices to edit. iMovie does not have a lot of tools to use, too.

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

Because final pro has many more features and fun filters. iMovie had a bit less, but final pro got me into editing more often.

"Simple Moviemaking for Everyone"

I utilized it for quite a long time and was consistently content with it, I additionally loved its appear to be less coordination with iDVD at that point, yet I presently don't make dvds so that would not be required any longer.

Pros

I utilized iMovie for some numerous years practically day by day. Figuring out how to utilize fundamental activities was simple and the final result was more than adequate for home and individual use. I at last climbed to utilizing More expert items to acquire extra expert instruments to improve my recordings, however utilizing iMovie showed me all I expected to accomplish such a great deal.

Cons

It was restricted - I in the long run climb to a more expert altering programming to have the option to buy extra altering devices for enhancements I needed, yet actually I didn't need to go up in the event that I would not like to.

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

At that point, it was free with all Apple PCs and it was not difficult to utilize, thta was why i switched.

Alan from alan sands entertainment

iMovie - easy to use - one industry standard

I used it for years and years and was always happy with it, I also liked its seem less integration with iDVD at the time, but I no longer make dvds so that would not be needed anymore.

Pros

I used iMovie for many many years almost daily. Learning how to use basic operations was easy and the end product was more than good enough for home and personal use. I eventually moved up to using More professional products to gain additional professional tools to improve my videos, but using iMovie taught me all I needed to do so much.

Cons

It was limited - I eventually move up to a more professional editing software to be able to purchase additional editing tools for special effects I wanted, but in reality I did not have to move up if I didn’t want to.

Reasons for Choosing iMovie

At the time, it was free with all Apple computers and it was easy to use.

Sofia from The Poppy Nails

Industry: Cosmetics

Editing in your phone

REally love it, you can also use it on your phone. I recommend it for basic purposes, if you need a little more in that case I would switch to something more advanced like Premier.

Pros

What I love the most is being able to make videos without any previous training, both for my company and for personal projects. You can add text, music, audio without any problem, it's very intuitive. And its almost free.

Cons

If something more elaborate is needed, it won't be what you need. It's cute, entertaining, easy to use but for simple projects. Also, sometimes crush and slows down

Easy and almost free

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

because it was overwhelming, imovie its more easy to use

Top Video Editing Software

iMovie is my go-to video editing software. I've used it to put together a number of projects over the years and have highly recommended it to anyone who is looking at creating or compiling a video project.

Pros

This is an incredible video software for its price - it's free with your Apple device. While its interface make take a bit for new aspiring video editors and creators to accustom themselves to, in just a short time anyone can have a video ready to share without any training required. You can cut and compile any number of video clips together and can add text, transitions, animations, images, etc. to your project - the possibilities are endless!

Cons

The iMovie app can be prone to freezing or crashing at times. Its provided aspect ratio seems to be set in stone. Videos that don't meet the iMovie aspect ratio have to be either zoomed in or with black bars on either side. With the rise of vertical videos thanks to the popularity of such social media platforms as TikTok and Instagram Stories, this is something that would be greatly beneficial.

Switched from a Lenovo Windows laptop to a MacBook Pro

Trincell from Southern Creative Concepts

A Professional Movie

At one point I was a beginner until I was able to find my way around it.

Pros

Easy to understand and use tools. Free access to user guides on Apple's support site. Can mix both still and moving images in one video platform with just a tiny transition

Cons

You have to keep track of the social platforms and which are connected for direct sharing if possible.

Reasons for Choosing iMovie

More features and easier to use

Alexandro from Alexandro Puglia

imovie est un bon logiciel de montage vidéo

Ma dernière utilisation était pour faire un clip vidéo. J'ai fait un montage basique, de l'importation de vidéos, de musique et de sous-titres. Cela a été facile à prendre en main. Il m'a fallu peu de temps pour terminer une vidéo avec de bon raccords, et une bonne fluidité, j'ai hâte de pouvoir mieux l'utiliser pour faire de beaux montage.

Pros

Son fonctionnement est simple. L'interface est très claire et facile à utiliser. Si vous utilisez un i phone, vous pouvez importer directement des photos et de la musique ; avec quelques touches de raccourci, le fonctionnement est très fluide. Il est directement implanter dans un mac, pas de logiciel supplémentaire à télécharger. Il est gratuit. Il est fluide et rapide.

Cons

Comparé à d'autres logiciels professionnels, i movie n'ai pas considéré comme un logiciel d'entrée de gamme et d'utilisation simple, il n'est donc destiné qu'a un usage personnel. Je ne vois que cela comme inconvénient.

Henry from TU

Gets the job done... sometimes

Pros

Depends on what you need to do video editing-wise. If low-key editing is your task at hand, this might be your program. Pretty straight forward program that I've been using since 2005 so I've seen it evolve.

Cons

If a larger scale project is what you're working with (20 min +), I might suggest considering a different software. Can def slow up and feel clunky.

iMovie Review 2021

Fantastic. Highly recommend as an apple user to edit your videos or make projects using this service. Ease of use on a computer and even on your phone. Highly recommend it, although all my friends already use it.

Pros

I have been using iMovie since my first MacBook in 2010. Have used it for video projects for school, travel videos for leisure, and just for editing fun videos for family and friends. It is an excellent service and super easy to use - has been for the last 11 years.

Cons

Other than the fact it takes up more space than I would have liked on my computer, which makes sense doing so - it is an excellent app. I no longer have a storage problem as I have upgraded my computer with a larger SD drive, so this is not an issue anymore.

Anna from Self-Employed

Gets the job done

Until I am shooting and producing my own big budget films, it's good for the time being!

Pros

As an independent artist (actor), I need to quickly edit and send audition videos. iMovie is a great, "free" tool (it was included when I bought on my Apple MacBook Pro) for producing basic videos. Compared to other video editing software that I have used like Final Cut Pro, Avid, and Edius, it gets the job done and is pretty straightforward.

Cons

The features for editing options are very limited. You can't get the precision cuts/transitions that you get with more expensive software, and you cannot manually choose the clip still photo. However, for it being a free app, it is still worth it.

It came with my laptop.

Michaela from Social media marketing

AWESOME APP!

I think it’s great though for anyone who’s wanting to make movies, slideshows, or anything creative you can upload, save, send and edit too.

Pros

I love this app because you can create movies with your videos, music, slides, and basically anything it’s really easy and simple to use.

Cons

It’s time consuming and sometimes us confusing if you don’t know how to use it.

Joseph from University of Pittsburgh

Joe fumbles through iMovie

It's just one of the basic Apple tools that I have one most of my max. Most of the time I deferred to go to an Adobe product to do this kind of work because it gives me more flexibility and the end product has a higher quality.

Pros

It's one of those out of the box Apple products that come with most Apple technology. When I movie first came out it was an easy application and very inexpensive. It's not quite as easy as it used to be but it's still an expensive.

Cons

The application is a bit clunky and hard to navigate through you need to do a lot of exploration and digging to find the basic functionality of the application. An average Yeutter user is frustrated and usually either stops using the application or doesn't use it to its forced capabilities.

Reasons for Choosing iMovie

I choose it as a product it comes with my Mac so it's an out-of-the-box kind of application like numbers and pages. I use it if I'm just doing something down and dirty and quick or if I just want someone to be able to create some basic video. But again for the most part I'm using adobe premiere for most of what I do.

Luis from Grow Pros Solutions

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Best app for Any Videographer

I think this is the best app for any Video Producer who is in need of a professional software for editing.

Pros

This is the Go To and most used app for all my film and video creation projects. All the templates and transitions included are things I use in every project.

Cons

I dislike the that it excludes some detailed features but it is still amazing.

Jeff from Shiloh Church

iMovie is GREAT

My experience with iMovie has been great. It was easy to learn. There are plenty of helps available.

Pros

iMovie helps you make quality videos. It is easy to edit and create videos.

Cons

You only have one layer to put over the video.

Reasons for Choosing iMovie

I needed to do more complicated things with the video. Also I switched from a PC laptop to a Mac laptop.

Great on the computer and mobile devices

Recently we used iMovie to edit and convert a video so it could be uploaded to instagram without getting cut off on the sides. The process was a bit tricky, but a quick read through an online tutorial easily revealed how to accomplish this task. Once the editing was done, exporting was very quick and the final product worked perfectly. Did I mention we did all this on an iPhone?

Pros

A solid, full-features video editing program. You can edit videos with multiple video and audio streams. Some good beginner-intermediate effects. Can be used on a computer or mobile device.

Cons

Only available on macs or iOS devices. Some of the advance video editing functionality is not available. No options for advance filters or professional video editing plugins.

Miranda from Self-Employed

iMovie Review

My overall experience with iMovie has been excellent because I haven’t experienced any problems with using it, and it was easy for me to figure out. All of my videos that I created with iMovie have turned out great, and the quality of the videos have been wonderful.

Pros

I believe that iMovie is great to use when you first start editing videos. I think that anyone can figure out how to use it because it is not super complex to use. It is very easy to clip and edit the timing of the videos, and it is simple to add music and voiceovers to your videos. Another benefit is that it’s free to use.

Cons

It’s not as advanced as other video softwares, and it doesn’t have as much as a variety of effects as other video softwares do. However, I recommend iMovie for beginners.

Memory Maker

I've been able to create keepsakes that I'll treasure forever thanks to iMovie.

Pros

The ease in which you can compile, organize and then present your precious memories is awesome. It has never been so quick to do with the built in iPhone app. Back in my day, it used to take a slow loading adobe software on a desktop computer that could barely connect to dial up internet in order to produce a film you can now do it with a few clicks in your hand.

Cons

If you have too many other programs running, it seems to freeze up more often than I'd like. I would recommend being sure you save as you go just in case.

Joel from HFS

iMovie - simple for most basic edits

For creating quick movies or sound tracks with images or videos captured by your iPhone or other digital media device you can't beat it. If you want to get to a professional level you have to go search for better tools.

Pros

Apple's iMovie comes prepackaged with your Mac making it available to quick and easy video and music editing. It is easy for entry level content creation with simple but easy to understand controls and capabilities.

Cons

Its simplicity is actually its limitation. If you want to go beyond simple, flashy videos with pre-set builds or you need to work with media of multiple types it starts lacking functionality quickly.

Joshua from First Baptist Church Lake Alfred

A step up from others but not perfect

iMovie is a great free option for video editing and great for beginners or simple projects. It is definitely superior to Windows Movie Maker. It does have its issues though. It becomes frustrating when things move or get deleted without you realizing it. It sometimes has very slow rendering and exporting times which leads to choppy video previews. It does have many great option for titles, transitions, audio and video effects but if you are looking for anything super professional you will have to upgrade to a more expensive product.

Pros

Drag and drop. Lots of built in filters for audio and video. Pre-made sound effects and music. Good amount of video transitions and titles. Ability to speed up, slow down, freeze frame video. Great for beginners and small projects.

Cons

Hard to make transitions fit perfectly. Titles, audio, video anchor to each other without realizing. Long export times for video of any substantial length. Can’t move titles to different area of video. Video previews are choppy when edited heavily.

Ashley from CTKEEC

IMovie for Childcare Social Media

Overall this software has made me proud of what we put out and how we present ourselves on social media. Being creative in a new way is exciting!

Pros

I loved how simple this software is to use as I was not initially familiar with video editing. We are able to add features to improve the quality of what we are sharing with our families on our communications app and media. Adding music, graphics, wording, and being creative is the best.

Cons

If I have a question on a certain part of the software I have to google it or go to the boards to find feedback and support.

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

Ease of use and quality.

Jordan from MulsonMedia

Great For The Basics or Beginner

It served it's purpose perfectly; allowed this once novice video creator/editor to learn the ropes and master some basic skills.

Pros

When I started creating videos and editing, I loved that iMovie CAME WITH the Mac products. It leveled the playing field and was a great entry-point to learning basic editing skills and allowed even some advanced features.

Cons

It is pretty limited. It's by no means close to offering the power or features that Adobe products or other editors can provide. You cannot do any advanced editing, therefore you can't really grow very much beyond the basics.

Remarkable what can be accomplished with this standard Mac software

iMovie has been a great tool for creating video lessons for my classes during distance learning. Students also use iMovie to create remarkably sharp looking video projects.

Pros

After a bit of experimentation, I found iMovie to be easy to use. It is a great way to take something like a recorded lecture and turn it into a snappy and engaging video, simply by using text and photos. Adjusting the length of video clips is easy as is adding an audio track. Plus, it comes with many useful pre-loaded sound effects and music samples.

Cons

When using still photos to create your movie, it defaults to the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] effect of zooming and panning. This can be annoying and a bit of a hassle to removed the effect from each still image.

Rodrigo from Estrategias Digitales

Thank you Mr. Apple

iMovie has become my must trusted editor. I truly recommend it.

Pros

I am not an expert in video editors but occasionally I have the necessity of using one. Of all the editors I have used so far, iMovie has been my favorite. I like the ease of use of the editor and the variety of functions available. It is nice that unlike other editors, this one doesn’t leave an annoying watermark in your project.

Cons

Sometimes whenever you want to import some files, iMovie takes too much time to load or automatically reject them. Like every Apple software, this one is also exclusive for Apple users. Personally, I believe everyone should have access to this program.

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

As an apple user, I prefer iMovie.

Frank from Premise Data

Be a Director on your mobile device

iMovie is just one of those Apple apps that just works and on an iPad, I have been able to make stunning clips with it.

Pros

Like all the other Apple apps, iMovie is beautiful to look at, inexpensive (basically free) and the features it brings to the table are amazing; my favourite being the best in class transitions, filters, and the wide selection of soundtracks.

Cons

If all you need is some basic video editing features, then iMovie would be great. But for something more advanced, you’ll need other, more feature-rich alternatives.

Emily from Deer Park Alliance Church

iMovie Review

Overall it's been great for what we need it for! It imports, exports, and creates great movie files for our needs. Would recommend for anyone who doesn't need anything too complicated.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use! It's very clear where and how to upload content into iMovie, and how to drag the files into the working area. It's easy to copy and paste audio, and copy and paste the video files too. It's handy that it shows how long the project is. I also like how simple it is to export! It's a perfect software for someone who doesn't need a lot of fancy components, just a simple layout to create simple videos (I'm sure you can make more complicated projects, but it's perfect for my simple uses!)

Cons

I don't like how it seems that the audio files will automatically go into separate line of the working area, even if they're not overlapping. It makes the working area larger than need be, and slightly more confusing. Now that I know it does that I can work around it though.

Josephine from Healthcare

iMovie

My experience has been great I really like the new autosave feature it has been so helpful as I often forget to save my work as I go along. File management is also quite simple.

Pros

This software is very easy to use even if you do not have much experience with movie making software. iMovie in my opinion is very easy to navigate and export.

Cons

The software has limited audio and video editing capabilities. Also I am unable to open my projects on iMovie from a non apple product.

Shari from SRPR Consulting Firm

iMovie Could Use An Upgrade!

Overall, my experience with iMovie has been okay but not the best. I hope for there to be a major surprise upgrade to this software soon.

Pros

What I like most about iMovie is its ability to create great videos. The software has a good selection of text animations and transitions, picture in picture, green screen, voice animations and video speed.

Cons

What I like least about this software is its lack of upgrading. There needs to be a load more of text animations and transitions, as well as the ability to better edit photo/video picture quality to make it look more professional and smooth—as if it were taken with a professional high quality camera. There also needs to be a load more of new templates to start with, as the ones available are super outdated and overused. iMovie is definitely behind on video editing quality.

Martina from Reigny Days Fashion

Very Simple, Very Affordable.

Overall, this application is great, you can also look at tutorials on youtube to further assist you. iMovie also sets you up with templates to make using the app even easier.

Pros

iMovie is great for anybody who needs to make content. Its very affordable and allows the beginners to learn so much and make good content that doesn't look as if a beginner has done it.

Cons

Not much I can say that I do not like. Maybe that its only available for Apple products? But then again thats just the perk of using Apple.

Liz from lizstudio

Industry: Music

iMovie is a good software

The last time I used it was to make a music video. I did basic editing, such as importing videos, music and subtitles, which can be easily adjusted. Although only one filter can be used on a video, On the contrary, it was very easy. It took a short time to complete my music video, which is very good.

Pros

Its operation method is simple and easy to use, and the interface is very clear and easy to use. For example, if you operate on i phone, you can directly import photos and music; with some shortcut keys, the operation is very smooth. Most importantly, the output speed is very fast.

Cons

Compared with other professional software, i movie can only be regarded as a simple operation and entry-level software, and cannot be used as a professional software. It can be said to be the only drawback.

Daniel from Illustrate to Educate

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

It’s great for simple professional projects

I create YouTube videos for my successfully channel called Illustrate to Educate where I depend heavily in the features of IMovie to make them professional and entertaining.

Pros

I like how easy most of the features are to use. It has a great layout that makes everything you need access to available easily and quickly.

Cons

It can be super laggy and it requires much of the memory and processing power of the computer which can make it super slow and frustrating.

Yann from 360 Entrepreneur

Industry: Online Media

A good video editing solution for beginning vloggers

Pros

The one thing I personally like the most about iMovie is the fact that it's really a low-friction, easy-to-use, solution for anyone who's taking the first steps in the video world. Sure, it isn't as robust as many other video editing software out there but it still provides a good suite of features to get started with video editing. If you're a Mac user, then you have iMovie already available on your machine (for free). So, you can get your feet wet and get started with iMovie right now – you'll able to make your videos look better in no time!

Cons

Even though iMovie is good for new video content creators, it's a software that may lead you to "hit the ceiling" relatively quickly. Depending on what you'd like to do with a video editing software, you might feel as if you've outgrown iMovie, because you're probably find yourself looking for features that aren't part of what iMovie offers. So, while on the other hand it's good because it's a low-friction option, it's likely going to have you look for another solution because of missing features.