All SpinupWP Reviews

Jonathan

The Best Wordpress Management Platform for Self-Hosting Solutions

My experience with SpinupWP has been 99% positive. If there has ever been a failure in the system, it's because I got impatient and neglected to read the documentation before trying a new feature. Frankly, I think their services are vastly under priced for the pure simplicity and the number of features this service provides.

PROS

Setting up new servers is incredibly easy. Attaching remote databases is super easy. Backing up, migrating, cloning, and pushing Wordpress instances around is easy. The documentation is great. The customer support is super responsive. The community is also quite helpful. This organization knows that they're doing when it comes to give people the tools to host their own Wordpress sites.

CONS

There have been a couple of hangups with server identity management in the workflow, but that's some really deep stuff that I don't even think I want access to. Customer support is happy to help in the rare instance when it's needed.

Reason for choosing SpinupWP

SpinupWP doesn't try to nickle and dime you with numbers of visitors and over-inflated storage prices. They leave that to the cloud providers, and there are plenty of providers (*cough* Linode *cough*) where you can get servers for 1/10th of the cost of one of these "managed" Wordpress hosting providers.

Great review, great to hear you're enjoying SpinupWP, thanks Jonathan! -Brad

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Very innovative way to setup Cloud Servers

It was fun to try and use, but I ended up choosing other services when I reached 20+ sites

PROS

I like a lot they value proposition, and how they create a new service away from standard shared servers / vps hosting companies.

CONS

Overall, after several months using it, I ended up paying more for each site compared to other Managed WordPress companies like Kinsta o Nexcess, and I have to do more server maintenance from my end that I would like to.

Reason for choosing SpinupWP

Innovative and potentially more cost effective

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

I wanted to try something simpler an cost-effective.

Thanks for your review Daniel! Glad to hear you appreciated SpinupWP but a bummer that the cost didn't work for you. I'd love to understand how we weren't more cost effective than managed hosting for you. I'll send you an email.

Replied January 2024

Siggi

Design, 1 employee

Makes Self-hosting WordPress a Breeze

I’ve been using SpinupWP for a few years now and it’s so much more powerful than the hosting provider I was using before. I can pick my own server provider and plan according to what fits my needs and budget. Aside from the single issue mentioned before, it has been worry free and just works.

PROS

SpinupWP made setting up and managing my own WordPress server super simple. The dashboard is powerful yet intuitive, and the documentation is comprehensive and helpful. SpinupWP has also been on the ball regarding best practices, such as upgrading from obsolete PHP versions, or outdated Linux versions.

CONS

It’s hard to think of any downsides to SpinupWP. It does what it sets out to do very well. If I didn’t have to update Linux packages manually that would be great, but not a major issue. Only once did I have an issue, and it seemed to be because the SpinupWP plugin got disable accidentally on a site. That caused a CPU spike which crashed my server regularly. Makes me wonder why it wasn’t under must-use plugins.

Reason for choosing SpinupWP

SpinupWP lets me set up as many sites and domains as I want on my server. It comes down to a lot of savings compared to managed hosting. And SpinupWP already makes it so easy it barely feels like you’re managing anything.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

My hosting provider ran sites on a shared hosting plan. At one point the company’s server crashed, and almost half the sites in the country went down because of it.

Great to hear SpinupWP is working well for you Siggi! -Brad

Matthew

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2024

The best WP/PHP server management: The Perfect Managed WordPress hosting replacement.

We had a few issues setting up some servers in the beginning, but we haven't had issues since then (almost two years ago from this review). Their support has been great, and it's taken a lot of the DevOps away without the cost. We spend around $100+ per month, but it also means I don't have to hire a full time DevOps team member.

PROS

SpinupWP makes managing my cloud servers FAR easier and faster. It allowed us to utilise cloud servers like EC2, Digital Ocean, and Linode without the insane costs of WP Engine and others.

CONS

It's still relatively new, and development of new features is slow, but the quality is always high, so it's usually worth the wait. More features for custom WordPress setups would be ideal. I also don't like the pricing model, as it disincentivises multiple smaller servers vs larger, shared hosting setups.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

Pricing and flexibility. WP Engine doesn't offer good support for Git, and we had no control over the servers themselves. Increasing or decreasing our capacity was hard, and adding storage was very costly. We've reduced our bill by 70% per $1000 we spend. When we left WP Engine, our bill was $2000 per month, then once we migrated to SpinupWP and Linode, it dropped to ~$500 per month.

Thanks for the nice review Matthew! I agree, per-server is not ideal. We actually did change our pricing briefly to charging per-site but people found it hard to estimate their monthly cost, and so we went back to per-server. We're experimenting with other ways of incentivising keeping the number of sites per server low. -Brad

Replied January 2024

Garth

Online Media, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2023

Our competitive advantage in cloud server management.

Excellent. Refreshing. The service has done what it says on the box, and is reliable. Delicious Brains continue adding important features.

PROS

It works, with very few issues. Simplicity of implementation and design. Cost effectiveness. Direct support is knowledgeable and helpful.

CONS

Though I have rarely needed support, it can take a day to respond. Maybe it's my time zone.

Reason for choosing SpinupWP

It was the right combination of packaging, simplicity and price point. Also I liked Delicious Brain's style, believed it would do what it said on the box and that they would improve features over time - which they have.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

Cloudways support was frustrating to use, and I required more of it. We wanted more speed for our outlay. Other server management companies we'd used, where we had much less control of the infrastucture, were also not as cost effective, and invariably the services would deteriorate over time. Quality Australian data centres were getting more expensive at the time as well.

Thanks for the kind words Garth! Just a heads up that I sold the Delicious Brains brand and its plugins to WP Engine last year so we're just SpinupWP now. - Brad

Josey

Internet, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2023

Peace of mind for my company. Cannot recommend enough.

This is one of those tools that lets me forget about things and focus on my clients. SpinupWP shows up when I need it, does what I need it to do, and in such an inexpensive way!

PROS

This is exceptionally cost effective. Mix in the constant new features and updates, and the quality of the team in responding to issues is incredible. I've ended up writing about how I was able to work with them, and another SaaS to solve a problem that brought CPU usage down. The ability to link multiple providers is also fantastic. AWS, DO to name a few.

CONS

I know being critical helps a company to grow, but I am having trouble finding something to be overly critical about. I think the only real bugbear I have is that when it shows updates are needed for a site, even after I update the theme, plugin, WP itself, it doesn't update the number next to the site. It's not the end of the world, and it doesn't impact anything but me second guessing if I updated it or not!

Reason for choosing SpinupWP

Affordable and did what I wanted it to do.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

Siteground was making so many changes and the price just went up. And while they can do neat things, they could not offer me the type of solution I really wanted.

Thanks for the awesome review Josey! Great to hear that SpinupWP is working so well for you. We recently discussed having a refresh button for updates, so it's been on our minds lately, but not scheduled yet though.

Corey

Information Services, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2023

SpinupWP has been a game changer for me

SpinupWP has simplified, streamlined, and revolutionized how I manage my "servers" and sites. I can't recommend it enough. I mention SpinupWP whenever anyone around me talks about WordPress hosting.

PROS

I've always been a shared hosting developer, even though I used Virtual Private Servers. SpinupWP took a bit of getting used to coming from that background, but once I spun up my first server and transferred my first site, I understood the value. SpinupWP makes it extremely easy to add, maintain, and update sites. It's beautifully designed, simple to use, quick, and bug-free.

CONS

I have had no complaints with SpinupWP. The only issues I've had were with myself - I needed to read some of their documentation to understand what it did under the hood.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

They were a simple VPS and the quality of support was dropping.

I love hearing that you've learned a little something using SpinupWP! It's always been part of the vision to educate in addition to building a best-in-class app. -Brad

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Great Alternative to Shared hosting or Managing your own Server

Everything has worked great and they have introduced new features at a regular pace that are very useful to the function of their service.

PROS

Let's me have full control of my server while helping me maintain it and keep it secure. If you run your own server, there is a lot of configuration and setup that I personally am not comfortable doing on a production server that hosts client projects. On the other hand many of the premium hosting services out there are too restrictive for some of the things I need to be able to do.

CONS

If there has to be a con, I think it would be the availability of customer service. Although, I have not had to use the customer service much if at all, I remember when I signed up they were not available 24hrs. This is not an issue for me and I actually prefer that they keep things this way if they can as a way to keep costs down and their service inexpensive.

Reason for choosing SpinupWP

SpinupWP allowed me to have more control over my server and have the same resources at a much lower price point.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

Need more power and flexibility. I was paying a premium price at Siteground for a shared hosting set up that I was regularly hitting the limits on. I also, was going to be adding more client projects and wanted a way to maintain them all in the same space.

Awesome James, really great to hear SpinupWP is such a good fit for you! - Brad

Mike

Best Web Hosting Solution When Factoring in Everything

It has completely changed my web hosting. I used to use a large managed server provider as I was fearful of needing support as I know nothing about Linux server administration so I needed cpanel, WHM and all those tools plus support. Once I gave spinupwp.com a try, I realized I didn't need support - the ease to spin up servers, and setup sites without cpanel and all that, was so much easier. Plus their security is better, and the performance is night and day faster on spinupwp.com. Plus, I can 1 click restore a site if something goes south. No opening tickets and waiting, etc. Anytime I have had a question (like how do I not cache a specific wordpress page) they respond in less than 24 hours and I am not even on the most expensive plan as I only have 7 servers. They also are really good at helping with random questions, something as simple as how to setup a staging site. I could go on and on but in the past, I looked at hosting as a cost of doing business. Now with their platform and buying my own VPS servers, hosting costs are half what they used to be and performance is so good that now I am growing my hosting business.

PROS

The backups solution, wow. The ability to restore 1 website with 1 click, and it takes about 1 minute or so depending on the size of the website to be restored back to early morning is amazing. I also love the ability to set up a new server in 10 minutes with one click, and the ability to install new websites in a few clicks. Absolutely amazing platform and the security and the speed due to the caching methods is unlike anything you will find in the marketplace - they really don't have a competitor as far as apples to apples.

CONS

Hard to find one, but if I have to nitpick.. I can take backups, let's say 30 days. No issue there. I just wish I could also have a weekly schedule run, every 7 days. That way, sites that don't change much, I could just keep non-daily backups. It's really a nitpick item but it would be cool if I could run 2 schedules instead of just the daily.

Reason for choosing SpinupWP

Ease of setting up servers, ease of installing sites, ease of backups, and the low cost of bringing my own VPS servers and using spinupWP.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

Cost and the performance and speed is so much better. The cost is just such a huge savings from using a large managed server provider.

Thanks for the kind words Mike! I'm really glad to hear SpinupWP is working so well for you. Weekly and monthly backup scheduling is currently in development should be shipped in the next few months. I shared a sneak peek here if you're curious: https://community.spinupwp.com/c/suggestion-box/more-granular-backup-options#comment_wrapper_26393179 - Brad

Fantastic Hosting Platform

Overall, using SpinupWP is amazing. The pricing is wonderful for what this platforms offers.

PROS

I love that I can choose my own powerful servers on Digital Ocean. And I love all the options that SpinupWP takes care of for me - caching, domain name changing, IP addresses, SFTP, etc.. It's a super powerful and fast platform.

CONS

The only drawback is sometimes I have to SSH into my server to accomplish certain tasks. However, they do offer very good documentation for everything I need to do.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

WP Engine offers limited access to their servers and often times gives you weird options that don't even matter.

Awesome, great to hear SpinupWP is working well for you! As we ship more of the features from our roadmap, you should have to SSH less into the server. - Brad

Mary-Ann

Design, 1 employee

Makes Server Management a Breeze

I absolutely love it, and the incremental improvements have been very welcome. I hope they always keep it simple and straightforward—it's already so close to being perfect (for me) that I don't need a bunch of feature bloat or constantly redesigned UIs ;)

PROS

I've been using SpinUpWP practically since they launched because their platform solved my issues of spinning up AWS EC2 instances. It used to be a relatively time-consuming process, but with SpinUp, it really makes it as simple as a few clicks after setting up the instance. It's great to be able to manage a lot of aspects of web server management in a clean, streamlined UI that I used to have to do manually through the CLI—you can add new sites, set up SFTP users, install SSL certs, set up backups, and update plugins (though I don't update through their interface—I prefer to be a bit more hands-on to make sure things update smoothly and to keep up-to-date with changelogs). It really makes it so smooth to manage your servers. Also, the fact that server logs are integrated is a HUGE benefit—no need to SSH into your environment when you can see and manage it all in one place.

CONS

The only thing that would be nice to have is a way to manually refresh the status of my sites' updates. You can manually refresh the server status after rebooting and installing updates, but I'd love to be able to manually refresh the status of plugin updates (I love seeing the line of green checks!) I would also love to see some more server monitoring stats in the UI (i.e. the stats you see when you first SSH into the server; we already see how much storage is used, but would be great to see memory usage, system load, etc.)

Such a nice review Mary-Ann, thanks! Love the nice-to-haves. All of those are on our radar and we were just recently discussing a way of manually running the server checks. Stay tuned! -Brad

Luc

Internet, 2-10 employees

Hosting with freedom

My overall experience with SpinupWP is definitely great. I can't see a reason for quitting you guys. And when I heard in Porto that you were selling Migrate DB Pro and fully focussing on spinup, I was just over the moon <3

PROS

I really dig that we've finally been able to pick-and-mix the stack we wanted and needed for some of our customers. We have some crazy homemade extensions running for sites (like a mongo-db powered cart for a woocommerce site, so it can run with full page caching). No other managed host would help us out with this. Managed hosting is great, but I often find myself more knowledgeable then the people working the helpdesks, so this is a perfect setup for us.

CONS

The dashboard isn't great for a large amount of servers and sites (but I read in the recent newsletter that y'all are fixing that). I'd also love more detailed technical documentation on the installed stack and how to make changes to it; kinsta does this really well.

Reason for choosing SpinupWP

We chose Spinup because our main focus is still on WordPress.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

Costs and the fact that I tend to know more in a technical sense then most people working on their helpdesks. Savvii, our other managed wordpress host, also once restored a 6 hour old backup on a running webshop deleting about 600 orders which we then had to insert -by hand- based on the "recently send" options in our SMTP provider.

Awesome review Luc, thanks! Your story about Savvii is similar to my experience with managed hosts. They're always doing things without your say so and with that much tinkering, mistakes happen. I posted a sneak peek of the new dashboard in the community if you're curious: https://community.spinupwp.com/c/suggestion-box/dashboard-tweaks#comment_wrapper_26779128

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

A service I wish I had known 10 years ago

Very good, have had no issues and the rollout plan looks good with new features coming out every quarter.

PROS

Its simplicity but yet complex configuration. an interface that I can get to grips with quickly and easily for the needs that I might require. Spinning up a new server a breeze, creating a new site simple and effective. does the job..

CONS

sometimes support can be a bit pinnickity when they could help but choose not to because its not part of their service. Help a fella out chaps once in a while, it might be reciprocated one day!

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

Too complex and not overly helpful support

Thanks for the very nice review Andrew! We do limit the scope of what we handle in support and are clear about that on our pricing page, but I will also say that our support service hasn't been great in the past. However, with some recent hiring, the service has improved a ton in just the past 4 months. Hopefully your experience predates this.

Tanner

Computer Software, 1 employee

Best WordPress Server Management

PROS

As an engineer that does some minor WordPress hosting, it's extremely easy to set up new sites and get working right away without worrying about configuring everything. I can spin up a new low-cost server quickly and know that it's secure, fast, and kept up to date.

CONS

Early on there were fewer features, but they have continued to add killer features over time and I've been impressed with it since the beginning.

Reasons for switching to SpinupWP

Forge is really a tool for PHP applications and I was using it to host WordPress projects. It can do that, but wasn't directly built for it. Moving over to SpinupWP was a no-brainer — A tool as slick as Laravel Forge, but specifically built for WordPress.

Thanks for the nice review Tanner! SpinupWP was actually inspired by Forge and we're big fans of that platform for hosting Laravel apps.

Joseph

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2023

SpinupWP, a simple and quick answer to managing website hosting.

Overall, the experience with SpinupWP has fantastic and rolling it out into our deployment process has been a brezze. When we have had questions or require support they have acted quickly to resolve the issue and/or provided helpful guidance.

PROS

SpinupWP is simple to setup and configure allowing you to quicky set a site up and running. It's interface allows for the quick management of each server or site and has a growing range of capabilities.

CONS

The platform is not a feature rich as some other competitors however they have shown to be actively taking input from users within the community to address any shortcoming and priorities new features.

Easy of use, Cost and Server Provider Support

Thanks for the kind words Joseph! I'm looking forward to more discussions with customers, identifying the highest value features, and shipping them sooner. - Brad

Shane

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Simplified Server Management for WordPress with fantastic performance

They've taken the work out of my dev process, and freed me up to focus my efforts elsewhere. If you're comfortable running your own servers, or even if you think you want to learn more about server management, I highly recommend SpinupWP. You'll have full access to every bit of configuration--if you want it--otherwise it saves you a ton of time in manually configuring Nginx, Redis, MySQL, etc.

PROS

SpinupWP makes it far simpler to manage and setup sites on my own server/VPS. Their stock config is also super performant, and the SSH configuration is super easy to manage via the dashboard. Issuing SSL certs is built into the site setup process and is also dead simple.

CONS

If I have to pick on anything, it's the standard support, but they are very up front about what to expect. If you need more from support, they have an upgraded plan for that. But if, like me, you just need the basics and can handle managing your own WP site(s), the standard support is just peachy. So ultimately, if you go with the Personal plan, just don't be expecting someone to hold your hand through every little problem you might have with WordPress. The server setup itself is rock solid, so you're unlikely to have issues there anyway--it's always the plugins and theme you add on top of WordPress that are bound to give you fits.

Reason for choosing SpinupWP

Pricing was better for my use case, and I was already familiar with other products from the SpinupWP team.

Really great to hear things are working so well for you Shane! - Brad