Browse Hotjar Reviews

Akande from Hunter Industries

HotJar is an awesome tool for studying websites and optimizing!

Overall HotJar is a great platform and I am one of their biggest advocates. I would recommend HotJar to anyone looking to enhance their understanding of on-site traffic and conversion.

Pros

At each company that I have worked for, I always bring up HotJar as a solution they should implement as soon as possible. It is so easy to use and allows for such a comprehensive view of the customer experience that it's a loss to NOT use it! I love that it can capture click data, scroll depth, and even user interactions on the website. There is so much valuable information to be pulled from the data!

Cons

There are two things that I'm a little bummed out about with HotJar. One issue is that they recently removed cross-domain tracking. This was a great benefit and we used it often, so not having it is tough. They also have a limit on the height of the pages that can be captured, 1500px. Our pages are slightly larger so we lose some detail on the report that we would have otherwise had.

Reasons for Choosing Hotjar

Primarily I was familiar with HotJar so it was an easy choice.

Response from Hotjar

Replied August 2019

Hey Akande, Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar! It's great to read that you're getting a lot of value from the tool :) It's indeed the case that we removed cross-domain tracking in light of our continued commitment to privacy-by-design. I'm sorry to hear that working with the tool is a bit tough without this - we'd like to help if we can! Do reach out to us at support@hotjar.com if you've got questions. Following up your note on the height of captured pages for Heatmaps - we do have a 15000px limit, but if it's a pain point I'd definitely suggest using the Suggest a Feature function in-app to let us know what you need :) All best, Alex

Trevor from Disruptive Advertising

Must have for qualitative research

Hotjar does exactly what I need: gives context to the issues I see in GA, and allows me to get into the mind of the user with greater depth.

Pros

Heatmapping offers a whole new dimension of user behavior analysis, and Hotjar brings that to the masses. Installation is easy, setting up heatmaps is a snap, and results analysis is an easy task with the Hotjar interface. This has saved more of my precious time for true analysis, rather than setup and configuration

Cons

On the smaller Hotjar plans, the cap at creating 3 heatmaps at a time feels restrictive. Often, I'd prefer setting up more heatmaps and using fewer of the other features available (surveys and polls). If there were plans I could recommend that only contained the right services for my clients (ex: heatmaps only for small clients, fullstack for larger ones), I would 100% do it. Crazy egg also has a sweet Chrome plugin which is not close to being replicated by Hotjar.

Reasons for Choosing Hotjar

At least at the time of decision, Hotjar was much more intuitive than Crazy egg, as well as being more reasonably priced. Hotjar also responds better to being used by an agency and having multiple containers for various sites.

Response from Hotjar

Replied December 2019

Hey Trevor, thanks for the review! Super to hear you're getting a lot of value from Hotjar. You can get unlimited heatmaps on our plus and business plans. You can find more information here https://www.hotjar.com/pricing Thanks again, Denis from the Hotjar team

Yassine from FastEcomAds

A must have tool for websites optimization

Hotjar helped me detect some key elements that were causing a low conversion rate and a lot of abandoned checkouts on my website, without it I wouldn’t be able to detect and fix those issues by myself and I would have to hire a consultant to figure out what’s wrong. We were also able to run successful A/B tests with the help of hotjar because we use it to monitor which variant is outperforming the other by monitoring users behavior on each one.

Pros

Hotjar is quick and easy to install on any website, and it provides important insights through heat maps and users session recording that helps us better optimize our website to maximize conversions. The data that we get from hotjar is so important for us because based on it we decide what should we change or remove.

Cons

The only downside to hotjar is the fact that it’s not possible to download recordings, I would love to have this option so I can download some sessions and have someone else take a look at them without giving full access.

Ioana from TourRadar

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Great little tool for starting your UX research

I would be surprised if there was a CRO or UX team that hasn't heard of Hotjar. It's a great little tool, especially given the price, but it doesn't allow enough flexibility to be your main on-site research tool. It's really good for starting out and doing some basic research. Sweet and simple! I guess marketers could benefit the most from this!

Pros

Price. Simplicity of implementation. Good customer service. The scrollmaps and polls are my favourite, and only features I use.

Cons

Potentially slows down the site. Loads the entire js even when only running a poll, so puts unnecessary load on the page speed. Forms have nearly never worked on any of the websites I have used it on. Funnel I don't really use - I don't see the point really. Free GA will still be far better and more useful at that. Polls have very simplistic targeting methods. Adding one or two new targeting triggers would be awesome...but they haven't released any new features in ages. Heatmaps are still very simple with no ability of segmenting the data. I can't complain for the really accessible prices they have been able to maintain though!

Value for features.

Response from Hotjar

Replied August 2019

Hey Ioana! Thanks so much for leaving this review and sharing your thoughts on Hotjar. Following up your feedback - we're always focused on minimizing any increased page load time with the Hotjar script on your site. Have you checked out this resource? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- If you're having trouble please reach out at support@hotjar.com and we can take a look with you. There's new targeting and filtering functionality on the product roadmap :) https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012303268-Product-Roadmap Stay tuned for that! All best, Alex

Horea from Syro

Hotjar is a really reliable software if you want to know the truth about your website

Well, it is a pretty good event revealer. I can find out a lot of information about any of my website visitors and it gives me a lot of feedback so I can increase my traffic and my online sales.

Pros

This is a very strong tool that exposes the website visitors online actions and speech. Hotjar uses two methods, Analysis and Feedback. The Research tools monitor and analyze website visitors activity (see what they're up to), while the Feedback tools "listen" what website visitors are thinking.

Cons

In my opinion, Hotjar has at least two big problems, first is the limited page height that is set at 1500px and the second one is the disabled feature for cross-domains. Maybe they are just testing to see how it will work better in the future.

Reasons for Switching to Hotjar

Hotjar is better when is used by an agency with multiple containers on different online projects and the customer experience you'll get from Hotjar is amazing.

Great Heat-mapping Software

Hotjar has shown us critical user flow errors in the websites we manage, and has provided the information necessary to make calculated adjustments to our UI, resulting in a decrease in bounce rate and an increase in conversions and revenue. We definitely have ROI with our Hotjar spend.

Pros

Hotjar is very easy to setup. Simply signup, install the JS snippet, configure your recordings and you're off & running. The heatmaping tool is good, and the ability to record user sessions is nice when auditing user flow and customer activity on a website. We have derived some very insightful optimizations from Hotjar, which have ultimately impacted our bottom line & generated more revenue for our company.

Cons

The heatmapping visual report uses a generic resolution to capture the website image. The heatmap overlays are good, but we often need to re-capture a website snapshot, or reach out to support to get the map to match the click heatmaps. It is a minor annoyance, but overall the tool is very good at heatmapping and providing user flow and web traffic insights.

Reasons for Choosing Hotjar

For our use-case, Hotjar filled our feature requirements at a better price than it's competition.

Price

Response from Hotjar

Replied April 2020

Hi, Thank for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's good to hear that you found Hotjar helpful in optimizing your websites. If you want to reach out to me at sharon.biggar@hotjar.com, I'd like to send you a small thank you for your review. Cheers, Sharon from Hotjar

Saalim from Saalim Tahir

I Like HotJar to Track my User

Overall my rating to Hotjar is 9 out of 10.Really its very helpful tool.

Pros

Hotjar is hottest tool, that help me to see what my user are doing with my website. It is very easy to integrate using google manager or directly paste the code. One of the best thing in HotJar is Heatmaps it shows me which part of my website are working well.

Cons

Yes, Due to GDRP guidelines to do not shows data of text fields, also Its form tracking system is not working with Angular-Js website.

Reasons for Switching to Hotjar

Hubstaff shows data of Input fileds like input text or text area.

Rajesh from Pristine Writers

Industry: Writing and Editing

Optimize the UX of your website with Hotjar

Undoubtedly, Hotjar is a must-have tool to perform qualitative research on your website visitors so that you can improve the user experience. It will allow you the opportunity to further analyze the data of google analytics. With so many excellent features this popular tool will help you to do basic and effective research on your website. I would like to recommend Hotjar to anyone as it is so simple to use and the return on investment is also quite impressive.

Pros

There is no denying the fact that Hotjar comes with some excellent and cool features to give you a great level of flexibility when it comes to the analysis of user behavior. Especially, the heatmapping feature of this tool will help you with user behavior analysis. Needless to say, setting up a heatmap is quite easy and it will also save you time. When you talk about visitor’s analysis of any website, pulling information from data is important. And Hotjar comes in handy at this point as it can capture click data, scroll depth, etc. on your site. On top of that, the customer experience you’ll get from Hotjar is amazing.

Cons

As per the rules of nature, Hotjar is also not out of disadvantages. It has some cons as well. It doesn’t show data of text fields as per guidelines of GDRP. Another point, I want to mention here is with the angular Js website, the form system of Hotjar doesn’t work which is a great disadvantage for me.

Reasons for Choosing Hotjar

Undoubtedly, Crazy Egg is also a great tool to serve my purpose. But, I chose Hotjar over it as I knew Hotjar from a long-ago even before I came to know about Crazy Egg.

David from Conversion1st

The ultimate voice of visitor tool - no need for anything else

Hotjar shortcuts hours of quant research by letting you SEE what's happening on your web pages, and HEAR a users thoughts. Priceless if you're in the business of designing web pages that serve your users better.

Pros

It's a one-stop shop. No need for expensive subscriptions to multiple tools. Everything you need to understand your visitors is at your fingertips. The only condition for success is that you actually use it!

Cons

Very difficult to think of a disadvantage. It's cheap. Fully featured. Customer support is great. Perhaps the fact that you can't run a/b tests too. But there's plenty of other great tools for that.

Reasons for Switching to Hotjar

I used to subscribe to Crazy Egg, Kiss Insights, Survey Gizmo and a bunch of other tools. Now I just need Hotjar.

Response from Hotjar

Replied October 2019

Hey David, Thanks so much for reviewing Hotjar! We really appreciate it and it's great to hear you that you consider the tool essential in understanding your visitors. Best, Kayleigh

Nathan from Brewer Science

Industry: Chemicals

Great tool for visitor tracking

Overall, easy to use and start collecting data. I'd use it again if I ever changed companies.

Pros

Very easy to set up tracking code, create heat maps, and start visit recordings. The analytics are easy to understand (clicks, cursor movements, and scrolling).

Cons

There's really not much to complain about. It is a bit of a pain to constantly restart recordings or create a new heatmap, but Hotjar has recently announced that recordings will now be continuous. A big improvement!

Reasons for Choosing Hotjar

Between price and features, I determined that Hotjar had better value for what we were looking for.

Ciprian from getButterfly

An awesome user research and feedback tool

Pros

An awesome user research and feedback tool with the most used features readily available. A clean look and a professional UX makes it my favourite tool. The free plan also has enough views/actions/events, allowing it for a good round of testing before going fully paid.

Cons

I'd like more popup options, something similar to GetSiteControl.

Response from Hotjar

Replied January 2020

Hi Ciprian, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you're getting a lot of value out of it. If you would like to give us more detail about what pop-up options you'd like to see, you can do so under 'Suggest a Feature' from within your Hotjar account and our product team will pick it up. Also, if you reach out to me directly [mike.cullen@hotjar.com], I'd like to send you a little something as a thank you for taking the time to review us. Mike

Ratish from ScriptBees IT Pvt Ltd

Hotjar Really Helped Us Leverage Our Business!

My overall experience has been good so far. Initially, we were worried about the user insights and heatmaps to test the pages/CTA'S for better campaigning of our products. But, as soon as we started utilizing the set of tools from Hotjar we are so happy that we are able to find a quick solution for problem that helps our business grow and provide our customers with a GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Pros

Have been using Hotjar for more than a couple of years and is the opinion on the tool 1. Hotjar has a very simple and easily accessible dashboard that has Heatmaps, Visitor recordings, Funnels created, Active polls, Surveys, and Recruiters. 2. Heatmaps have really helped us understand the landing pages and test various parameters for many of our marketing/advertising campaigns. 3. Visitor recordings and monitoring are soo good that helped us understand and rectify the issues that users come across. This has really helped our engineering/technical team in identifying the bug and fixing it ASAP thus resolving our customer issues quickly. 4. Had some experience on using the funnels as well which gave us some ideas on how to better modify the landing pages and we were able to understand the content. 5. The polls part has also added value to our business by letting us know on what the visitors are missing on our website. 6. The pricing of this tool is reasonable that students, enthusiasts and start-up companies can easily afford it. We have started with Basic Free Forever plan and later upgraded to Plus plan once our website started getting some good amount of traffic. 7. Multiple filter feature saves our time in analyzing the important pages and metrics. 8. Being a member of the customer success team for a couple of SAAS products I analyzed and learned some good metrics that helped our business grow. 9. Hotjar can be used by any team member like Digital Marketers, Support Agent

Cons

Although I do not have any cons in my mind regarding this tool I would just like to suggest the Hotjar team to give us quick response for any queries/ issues by providing instant live chat option.

Robert from AdWords Agentur GmbH

Revenue First not Customer First Driven Company

Pros

The support team and user interface of Hotjar are first in class. Over the last 5 years I have seen the product grow to become an industry leader. It is easy to implement and execute on the insights gained with Hotjar. I used full hearty recommended this product to everyone I have met.

Cons

On November 25th, their pricing policy update also impacted us legacy account holders. It used to be that you paid per Organization. Ie if your Organization had 4 sites you would be pay for 1 account. Also if you were a old customer you maintained your original terms. However with the move to Billing v2, it is now changed to per site and new terms. What does this mean, a minimum price increase of 400%. Example old rate of 9 EUR for Plus was applicable to all sites within that organization, if that organization only had 1 site then 9 EUR, now it is 39 EUR. Obviously the more sites / higher the tier upgrade you have the higher price increase. Unfortunately this is not a pricing policy I can endorse and hence want to make it very clear that I no longer support Hotjar. It is an abusive pricing policy change. While the pricing is a matter of perspective, I do believe Hotjar still provides great value, it unfortunately shows a change in attitude towards their customer based who have helped develop all their years. Today it might just be pricing, but what is next? No more customer support similarly to how Facebook does it.

Eliel from Telecommunications

Almost a Must

Almost perfect, found some bugs while using it, but always had a good response from the customer team.

Pros

Hotjar is a tool that almost every optimizer or ux designer should use, no doubts. Is easy to use, cheap, and besides the famous heatmaps it has a lot of other functions like polls or user recordings. Also, the sharing function is great as you can share results with members of your organization that dont have an account.

Cons

Lacks some integrations with other tools. For example with Google Analytics, a very useful function would be showing the Events on the heatmap.

Reasons for Choosing Hotjar

Hotjar has more functions.

Response from Hotjar

Replied August 2020

Hi Eliel, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you have had such a positive experience using Hotjar and dealing with our team. A Google Analytics integration is something we're working on but it will take some time before it's available. In the meantime, we have recently launched a Google Optimize integration that you might want to check out: https://www.hotjar.com/updates/en/hotjar-x-google-optimize-compare-user-behavior-in-your-experiment-variants- I'd like to send you a small thank-you for your review. If you get in touch at mike.cullen@hotjar.com, I'll let you know the details. Thanks, Mike

Ian from DOmedia

There's really now substitute for sticky UX problems.

When you absolutely, positively need to know exactly what your users are doing, there really is no substitute for Hotjar. Is it a bit invasive? Sure! But literally watching users' every move has been where the market was headed for a long time. We have saved easily tens of thousands of dollars in developer/PM/design time by watching our users, and we've rolled those savings back into product improvements directly driven by data from Hotjar. Does that cross an ethical line? Maybe... but if you gotta have it, then you gotta have it *shrug emoji*.

Pros

Clearly the best software for watching your every user's every move. They could probably have stopped there. However, the tagging, filtering and playback functionality is an incredible upgrade to the tool. User journey videos are raw unstructured data, incredibly valuable but somewhat hard to leverage at scale within an institutional decision-making paradigm. The simple tools to add context and structured data by tagging and annotating recordings makes the core functionality much more valuable.

Cons

Everything about Hotjar is exactly how you would hope it would be. If you are considering it now, you should probably have already gotten out your wallet and bought it. You know what it does. It does it extremely well. The only thing I don't love about it is it feels kind of unethical. But hey, I get paid to do my job... and what is money if not a tool to get people to take actions they might not otherwise have taken (for example, recording the every move of every visitor to a website).

Response from Hotjar

Replied December 2019

Hi Ian, Thanks for your review! We're pleased to hear that you are finding great value in Hotjar. From its very first day, Hotjar was designed with privacy of the end user in mind. If you want to find out more on Hotjar's approach to privacy please read this blogpost. https://www.hotjar.com/blog/our-approach-to-privacy-2019-and-beyond/ b/r Denis

Brent from WineDirect

Awesome for user recordings and heat-maps

The tool is really helpful to better understand your user's experience.

Pros

The insights we got from Hotjar were instantly used by our team. We understood our user's journey and pain points better after reviewing the heatmaps and screen recordings.

Cons

It's fairly expensive. We operate 16 different websites and we only have Hotjar setup on one of the brands because of the cost.

Features and page speed.

Response from Hotjar

Replied February 2020

Hey Brent So happy to hear that you found instant value with Hotjar and that it helped you to understand the user's journey better. You are right - once you know the pain points, you can address them a lot easier! With regards to pricing, perhaps it might be better for you to be on a plan that caters for more than 1 site? Do you want to email support@hotjar.com or submit your query here> https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000665794&pricingagencies and we can see if we can help suggest a better option for you? Hope this helps! Thanks so much again for your kind review. Bee @ Hotjar

mook from lowes

capture the live user usage of your web product, and analyse the user experience

good experience, but i hope this dose not eat much of end users internet and hope it dos not reduces the web performance

Pros

It capture a video of the user screen who is using the web product which is integrated with hotjar and store's it in clean directory structure it also stores meta data information of the user session which is really help full in analytics good documentation

Cons

the captured data back up is maintained only for 90 days, it wold be better if they provide a permanent storage plan and the meta data collected are in file formate and they also stay for 90 days, we had to write scripts to dump these data in to sql tables for further analysation it wold be better if they provide a simple API to do this they do provide a good documentation for this dumping proses

Response from Hotjar

Replied April 2020

Hi Mook, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. We're happy to hear that you are finding Hotjar useful. I would interested to hear more about the data retention issues you experienced - Hotjar retains data for 365 days from the date the data is captured. We do not have any plans with 90-day data retention, so it would be good to dig deeper into your issue. You can reach me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com if you'd like to discuss further. I'd also like to offer you a little something as a thank you for your review. Cheers, Mike

Aris from POWERPC

Best Analytics Software

We use hotjar as a "testing" tool. We test our users and make the necessary changes to increase our sales. We monitor our user's actions, we learn and understand what people don't like, don't understand, what confuses them, what makes them leave, what they like and prefer and we adjust the interface, the products, the banners, the layout. It's cool!

Pros

We love the funnel feature where I can setup funnels to track the conversions and drop-offs. Our whole business is based on sales funnels and Hotjar makes it very very easy to track users through our pages. The fact that we can later watch in a video our users activity is priceless. Device splitting is very useful because we can monitor all user's movement and make the proper changes.

Cons

I've got nothing to comment here. Their free plan is very good and we know that many of our customers don't upgrade to paid plans because of that. The only thing I want to suggest users with shared hosting, if they have high traffic website, it may slow down the page load and it would be nice to upgrade to bigger server.

Sheer brilliance at work

It is an amazing thing to watch the recordings of the user's that Hotjar captures and consolidates.

Pros

- Can actually record user's sessions and accurately identify the same user who is using the site/app after a certain duration - The dashboard is seamless. - Allows categorization based on events and tags.

Cons

- Sometimes, when trying to hide the private information of a customer, it went overboard and aggressively hid a lot of information which was part of the app itself and not the customer's data. This led us to not have an accurate depiction of the app state for the customer.

Response from Hotjar

Replied December 2019

Hey there, thanks for the review! Super to hear you're getting a lot of value from Hotjar :) Following up your feedback on suppressing page elements... have you already checked this resource on suppression? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012439167-How-to-Suppress-Elements-and-Images-from-Data Hope that's helpful - it shouldn't be the case that the stuff you want to be able to see gets suppressed as well. If we can help please let us know! The team is available at support@hotjar.com. Thanks again, Alex from the Hotjar team

roy from Digital Marketing

great website analytics and user behaviour tool

If you are into deep website analytics and user behaviour and want to get great insights, hotjar is a great tool. Although i use several analytics tools I combine all data I got with hotjar insights that provide me with that extra info. I use it on a daily basis. All the different features are great, like the screen recording that visually helps you see what your customers are doing on your website to the website.

Pros

1. Great website analysis features which are really easy to use and provide great insights: heatmaps that show you where users are clicking and navigating, visitor screen recording that show you have users are behaving on your website, feedback surveys, form analysis that show you have users are using your forms or detailed convertion funnels that show you where your users are dropping of.

Cons

in general I really love all features hotjar has but I am missing one important feature to analyse user vs content performance which is the a/b testing feature.

Response from Hotjar

Replied January 2020

Hi Roy, Thanks very much for your review. It's great to hear that you're getting so much use out of all of the behavior analytics tools in Hotjar. I totally understand your comment around A/B testing as this is a natural next step in the process for a lot of people. However, we are 100% focused on building robust behavior analytics software that helps to understand user behavior and get the insights needed to make changes, so we have made a conscious decision not to invest in building A/B testing tools to validate if an approach is working or not. Most of our customers use another tool like Optimizely or Google Optimize for that. If you reach out to me directly [mike.cullen@hotjar.com], I'd like to send you a little something as thank you for reviewing us. Cheers, Mike

Jeffrey from 3D Financial Solutions

Must Have for landing Pages

Hotjar has allowed us to test ideas with web design. It helps confirm the effectiveness of certain visual cues, the flow of information and the effectiveness of the overall sales funnel by showing us exactly where the viewers attention is going on our web page. It has been an essential source for our overall analytics and critical to our design process.

Pros

Hotjar adds a much-needed type of analytics to your arsenal. It allows you to see exactly what your page-viewers (potential buyers) are doing, seeing and spending time on your landing page or funnel. It allows you to test different design cues or features and see how your targets react. Also, the pricing is very convenient. Having this tool for free up to 200 pageviews per day is huge. it's just one of those tools that you need if you want to build new landing pages and help them convert.

Cons

The only issue I've had with this tool thus far is sometimes the screen recordings come out laggy or completely black, but this happens rarely. Other than that, it's been very informative and a great addition to our toolset.

Response from Hotjar

Replied October 2019

Hey Jeffrey, Thanks so much for reviewing Hotjar! We love feedback and it's great to hear you consider our tool an essential part of landing page optimization! Sorry to hear you've had a problem with Recordings. Feel free to reach out to support@hotjar.com and someone will be able to take a look into the issue. Best, Kayleigh

Lucas from MOM+POP, Ltd.

Freemium level features offer great visitor insights

My primary use of HotJar is the click tracking and scroll depth features. I'll occasionally use the visitor recording feature. These reports alone provide invaluable information for my web clients to get an idea of how effective their sites are in generating conversions. The surprise benefits of the click tracking is that we can see where people are clicking on spots that are not actually intended to be and I can adjust the UI design to downplay those areas to create a better user experience. The scroll depth gives me a better handle on what important information is not being reached by visitors and helps me decide how to best move that information further up the page stack to ensure that visitors see what we need them to see.

Pros

Easy to deploy tracking script to sites Async loading doesn't impact user experience Reports are easy to read and can be shared with clients Free tier provides more-than-adequate reporting for most small businesses

Cons

I can't actually say anything bad about the pricing structure, the admin panel, or the product quality they deliver. If you're a small business looking to get insights about your visitors' habits, this is an awesome free tool.

Response from Hotjar

Replied May 2020

Hi Lucas, Thanks very much for the comprehensive review. It's great to hear that you find Hotjar easy-to-use and you're getting valuable insights about your visitors' habits. I'd like to offer you a small thank you from Hotjar for taking the time to review our software - please reach out to me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com. Cheers, Mike from Hotjar

Joseph from The Spot of Joe

I recommend.

Great for the most part. I've recommended it to many people. Easy to use, offers great info. It does make it hard to filter your own traffic from the data - my only qualm.

Pros

Great analytics tool. It records the sessions of people who visit your site - great information if you're looking to improve e-commerce conversions or design behavior.

Cons

I don't have much to suggest. It was easy to install the script onto my site. I do wish they'd make it easy to filter out my own device though - you have to manually filter out your own devices, which clouds the data.

Response from Hotjar

Replied November 2019

Hey Joseph, Wow, what a review! Thanks so much for taking the time, and it's great to hear you're finding Hotjar useful to improve conversions. Following up your issue with filtering out your devices - I'd love to follow up with you on this to hear your feedback in more detail. What would your suggestion be to make this easier? All the best, Alex from the Hotjar marketing team.

If you need help understanding your users, this is the app!

I LOVE IT! Helped us find how users are looking at our website and what they find important. Super useful too.

Pros

Detailed heat maps and scroll maps that allow us to know what is working and what users are focusing on on our website. I also love the ability to view recordings and segment them by UTM. Makes it easier for us to see what's working and not working per marketing channel as well as how to fix inherent UX issues.

Cons

I wish they made heat maps that segment by marketing channel like Crazy Egg. We have both and it's kinda a lot of money for both. I also dislike how it's hard to get iframes to be seen in recordings and remove HTML elements that we don't want to see in maps such as cookie banners.

Response from Hotjar

Replied February 2020

Hi there anon! Thank you so much for your kind words and your lovely review. So happy to see you are loving HJ generally and that it is helping you to fix issues for UX. This is great news! Heatmaps = segment by marketing channel. This would be great (i.e. If you could segment by referral/UTM URL you mean?). Likewise on your idea regarding removing HTML elements, very valid. I will put your ideas to the product team. Thanks again for your kind words and please do feel free to follow up with any issues or worries you might have via support@hotjar.com. Kind regards Bee @ Hotjar

Started from the bottom, now we here

I've been a beta user and I've now been using Hotjar for over 2 years (even have the tshirt to prove it). While other tools such as Zoho PageSense, MouseFlow and Inspectlet do a similar job, Hotjar makes it dead-simple. Heatmaps and visitor recordings are a godsend, next to regular anayltics. And every single feature is free? That's beyond crazy!

Pros

- Heatmaps and visitors recordings work like a charm and provide a great deal of information. - If Google Analytics tells you what and how many, Hotjar tells you why: polls make it easy to gather user feedback. - Using all of its features, you can get a better grasp into why people don't fill in a certain form or don't buy a product.

Cons

- Some features are blocked behind a paywall. - Organization of sites and companies can get confusing at times. - Not all descriptions make it clear what a specific feature does.

Valentin from 24houranswers

Hotjar a good heatmap

I have made some heatmaps for my website show-my-homework. I used these heatmaps to improve the website for the readers.

Pros

Years ago I had a website (show-my-homework) that was taken from me with force. I am Romanian and in Romania no matter what you work, the authorities will force you to surrender your wealth and work to those that use the muscles and not the brain. I worked to this website for 5 years and 2 years I had on this website hotjar. Hotjar was saying to me who comes to my website, who reads my website, who wanted to learn, who clicks etc. Hotjar is very good and I love Hotjar for this.

Cons

To make a heatmap with hotjar you have to wait for 1 day. This is not good, but after 1 day you will have a very good heat map. I do not love hotjar because you have to pay good money if you use it for 2 weeks :)

Response from Hotjar

Replied August 2020

Hi Valentin, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. I'm sorry to hear about the problem with your website, but glad that you had a good experience using Hotjar to understand your users. I'd like to send you a small thank-you from us for your review. You can reach me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com and I'll share the details. Cheers, Mike

Hotjar is an easy and affordable user feedback tool that helps us tailor user experience.

We've used hotjar to identify navigational, organizational, and functional issues on our website that crop up in actual use, issues that may not appear in our daily use or testing. It allows us to see how users are interacting with our site and collect user feedback, and that lets us find ways to improve the experience

Pros

Using hotjar is like being able to stand next to your users and watch them use your site. This gives you actionable insight that many times numbers alone may not be able to tell you. And if you are someone who isn't comfortable sifting through analytics, it makes it extremely simple to identify potential problem areas in the user experience that you, being familiar with the site, might miss. The features are all sufficiently developed to be able to handle most straightforward tasks. Also, Hotjar is (at the time of this writing) very affordable for what you get out of it. My primary site is a local home goods retailer. We mostly use the session recording and heatmapping features, in addition to the poll feature. There are other features, such as the conversion funnel tracking, survey feature, and others. Although we don't use those much, the solution more than worth it for the recording and heatmapping. Their support is also fast and helpful.

Cons

There aren't many things to not like about Hotjar. I suppose one of the issues I have run into is that the conversion funnel tracking tool doesn't seem to accurately report metrics for us. I've never bothered to try and get this fixed since we use other methods to evaluate conversion funnels anyway. Otherwise, I haven't encountered any notable issues.

Ben from Quincy Bioscience

Industry: Biotechnology

Great UX Tool

We use HotJar to run UX tests on our site. We've used it a lot for testing out new buttons or new navigation features.

Pros

We love running heatmap tests of pages whenever we make changes to our website. We compare these tests to former versions that we've ran. Heatmaps offer amazing insight to where the user clicks, scrolls, or mouses over. This gives you a good idea on how the user interacts with your site.

Cons

Limited functionality unless you upgrade to the top tier account. We also aren't able to track our interactive experiences. I also wish the recordings had more filterable options so you could find specific experiences.

Response from Hotjar

Replied January 2020

Hi Ben, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. We're happy to hear that you're getting a lot of value out of our Heatmaps tool. Your feedback on plans, tracking of interactive experiences, and filtering of recordings is very helpful, too. If you would like to provide more detail about what you would like to see improved, you can do so under 'Suggest a Feature' from within your Hotjar account. If you reach out to me directly [mike.cullen@hotjar.com], I'd like to send you a little something as a thank you for your review. Cheers, Mike

Andrew from Hedges & Company

Hotjar Review

Great. It's an absolute must at our agency and allows us to offer an additional layer of depth when working with clients.

Pros

Hotjar has enabled us to tremendously increase our clients' website user experience in additional to overall conversion rate. Using Hotjar, we're able to see detailed heat mapping of where users are clicking that allows us to make strategist decisions involving website design.

Cons

Hotjar at times will freeze and not be able to serve the heat map properly. Usually, a refresh or something similar will fix this.

Response from Hotjar

Replied November 2019

Thank you, Andrew! We're glad to hear that Hotjar has been useful to your team and your clients. PS: if you experience repeated issues with heatmaps, reach out to our support team and let us know so they can look into it for you!

Luca from Run DMSquid

Industry: Online Media

Hotjar-A guarantee of quality

Pros

Hotjar is incredibly easy to setup. The learning curve is basically flat. The product is cheap and has a great free version.

Cons

It can slow down your website without you noticing it. Look at Google Developer Tools, the time to interactive value.

Response from Hotjar

Replied August 2019

Hey there Luca, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it! Brilliant to hear you find the tool easy to use. Following up your feedback on site speed - have you had a look at this resource? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- On average the initialization of Hotjar has a minimal impact on the page being usable (around 0.01 seconds) and adds around 0.3 seconds to the overall page completion. In the article I link above we also dive into some more factors to consider about speed testing. Most importantly - we'd love to help if you're finding this is causing any issues at all! :) The team is available at support@hotjar.com. All best, Alex

Shaun from Kahena Digital Marketing

Screen recording & heat maps made easy

My overall experience has been fantastic. The recordings are top quality and there are plenty of additional features and functions for those who want more. As someone that works in a marketing agency I also appreciate the fact I can house a number of clients underneath one login. I would, and do, recommend Hotjar to anyone who needs screen recording software.

Pros

This software is SO easy to use. All you need to do is add their javascript code to your site and hit go. I love seeing the recordings of my users and I appreciate that Hotjar has an option where you can speed up the recordings so I can see more and they indicate every time there is a scroll or click.

Cons

There isn't really anything that I don't like about. I do with that it would integrate with Google Analytics so I can view only recordings that completed a conversion objective. At the moment it's hard to see which recordings are more valuable.

Response from Hotjar

Replied January 2020

Hey Shaun! Thanks so much! We're doing everything we can to make Hotjar as easy as possible. If you reach out to me [louis@hotjar.com], I'll send you a little something as a token of our appreciation. Louis

Carlos from IMC Solutions España

The eyes you should have on your website

As a web designer this tool allowed me to track activity of the first users and detect things like: resposive problems, image problems, where the users are lost, where the users dont click and why, where the use leaves my website and why and what the user experience was overall. My experience with this tool has been almost fantastic, I would recomend it to every webmaster.

Pros

Hotjar is a very useful app, integrated with websites will allow you to track the heatmaps and every action the user made, divided by device and showing every data you can need and even more. It also has the hability to record every action of the user or track a funnel performance, I recommend this tool specially to optimize websites, because it will allow you to know where exactly the user is lost.

Cons

What I dont like if this software is that I would like to advice users that they are going to be recorded somehow but it doesnt have that option. I would also make a simpler design for admin the websites, right now it can be a little messy for new users.

Justin from Healthicity

Wow, What a Product!

Within an hour of integrating it into our site and CRM (which took only minutes), we were getting recordings of user visits and heat maps, greatly increasing our ability to quickly improve the performance of our website and marketing campaigns.

Pros

What DON'T I like about this software is more like it. I'm blown away that there's not more reviews for HotJar and am very happy to have spotted this opportunity to give them some love. HotJar is easily the best value-to-price behavior mapping software of its kind, and I've used and shopped for several of them. That pretty much sums it up. From heat mapping to visitor recordings to polling functionality, I simply haven't had to look for another solution since I found it, and it is much more cost-effective than its competitors. Its integrations that we have implemented have worked splendidly, as well. 5 stars, hands down.

Cons

I'm only listing "cons" because I have to to submit this review. Some of its user interface wasn't completely intuitive to me at first but I overcame it quickly and don't think it's fair to expect every software program to not come with a little bit of a learning curve. Within a couple of days I was navigating it fluidly.

Crystal from Surety Solutions, LLC

Watch, Change, Improve, Repeat

Pros

Stumbled across Hotjar after paying way too much with another company. Hotjar is the best thing on the market for price, hands-down. It is easy to use, easy to set up, and you can be recording users, generating heat maps, and collecting polls from day one. We used Hotjar primarily for recordings and polls. Recordings are crisp, easy to watch, and I love that you can add notes to the video WHILE you are watching. And then save those notes for other people on your team to see later. The polls feature is great. Many options for when the poll launches. Hotjar makes it easy to analyze your data, or export it and analyze it on your own.

Cons

The only downside is that Hotjar cannot record what happens inside an iframe. Such a bummer if you really need to see how your users interact.

Jessie from Asana

Essential app for web testing and user research

It's been crucial in giving us clarity in how people interact with our website, whether or not they're seeing essential pieces of content, and make design decisions based on that data.

Pros

We switched from CrazyEgg to Hotjar over a year ago, and haven't looked back. At the time, CrazyEgg didn't offer user videos (videos of people using our website) and Hotjar did, so we switched over. What I love most about Hotjar is that it's not just providing insights about how our users click and scroll via heatmaps, but I can gather more qualitative data by setting up polls or video recordings as well. The "share this heatmap" feature (where I can get a unique link to a heatmap that I can share with anyone on my team -- regardless of if they have access to Hotjar or not) is super handy as well. It helps me collaborate with our user researchers or send data to other teams (I sit on the web marketing team) when I find insights that they'd find valuable.

Cons

I wish I could have more flexibility with the design and branding of the polls. The few times I've added one to our website, it looks a little frankenstein-y in comparison to the rest of our design.

Helps Us Understand What Web Content is Most Relevant to Visitors

The software has been valuable and insightful as we use the information we are gathering from Hotjar to perform updates to our website content.

Pros

Hotjar provides accurate information via features such as heat mapping to pinpoint the most relevant content on our website. With the software, we've been able to discern what content we should provide more of that is of interest to our visitors.

Cons

Not too impressed with customer support. I called as we initially had some issue with embedding the coding to run the software on our website. Waited for quite a while to speak to a customer rep and even after being walked through the process to embed the code over the phone, the coding was not put on our site correctly.

Response from Hotjar

Replied November 2019

Hey there, Thanks for leaving a review for Hotjar and glad to hear you're getting useful, accurate insight from it. I'm sorry, however, to hear you've experienced issues with customer support. We pride ourselves on being efficient and helpful and if we let you down I apologize on behalf of the entire team. Reach out to support@hotjar.com again if you ever need help.

Get to know how your viewers use your app.

I use it to find out about the outcome of my UX/UI decisions.

Pros

The best feature of Hotjar is its core functionality therefore recording a whole users session so you can watch it later.

Cons

Using Hotjar comes with some costs. First of all it costs money. It also slows down your website a little.

Response from Hotjar

Replied August 2020

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. I'm happy to hear that you enjoy our Recordings tools and use the insights to inform your UX/UI decisions. Hotjar has been designed to have minimal effect on your site's performance - you can read more about the topic here: https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site Thanks, Mike from Hotjar

Great Way to Track Website Activity!

Overall great experience! Really helps us see the functionality of our website through the eyes of the user.

Pros

Kind of crazy there's a service that exists that literally captures video of the user's time on your website! It's like a video recording of each session. We can see exactly where the mouse goes, and which landing pages they're going to, and where they last are before leaving our site

Cons

Wish the recording gave us more info on the user. I know that's probably a violation of privacy, but it would be cool! That way we could reach out to them directly to see if they had any questions or needed help finding the right product

Hotjar Review

I use Hotjar to analyze load times and user journey on my website. This has really helped me see how far users are going through the site and which pages are more successful. I've also learned which call to actions are getting the most traction.

Pros

I love being able to track users as they access and view my website. The heatmaps are very informative and useful for A/B testing with the site.

Cons

I wish that the software provided more information about website visitors. The biggest downside is that I am unable to use the heatmap functionality for the email signup popup that is located on the site. I would like to be able to see what user's behavior looks like there.

Does what it needs to do

We are capturing feedback from our members right after they make a donation to our organization. This is a great way for us to know why our members support the organization. Being able to more accurately attribute them to individual members in our CRM would be very beneficial.

Pros

We are only using this tool for post transaction surveys. Creating a quick survey and linking it to a landing page is very quick and easy. There are no widgets to install, you simply feed the tool the landing page URL and it will link the survey to the page. When your user hits the page, a request that they take a survey pops up. You are given the option to perform the pop-up on page load or with a slight delay. I can set up a new survey and link to it in under 10 minutes - and I can clone other surveys (though it is a little difficult to find this option). The documentation is pretty well done and has been helpful.

Cons

The tool is not geared toward automation of the results. You can't edit a small typo in your questions, any changes and the tool automatically creates a new question and I believe deactivates the other. This means your results are now split into two columns. While I understand the logic behind this, there should be a way to simply edit a typo. I wish there was a way to have an internal name for the surveys so I can easily identify what and when I used a specific survey. I also wish there was a way to archive the results so that I am not reviewing already reviewed answers. I'm hoping there will be a more open api in the future so I could pass in an account id and pull the data directly from Hot Jar into my CRM.

Zuhairah from Shopee

Hotjar review from me

Pros

Hotjar is the most seeks software that web developer find it very helpful to know user behavior on the website. It gives idea which section to improve to gives user better experience with the website. For a marketer, it will give critical insight for us to know which section of the business that user engage more.

Cons

Hotjar is too technical and user need a deep knowledge with website technical for a smooth sailing with this software. The IT department can help with installing the software, but to navigate with the software still needing some technical knowledge.

Amit from Yotpo

User friendly and affordable

I've been using it for years now, I love it, it's affordable and very easy to implement on multiple websites as well.

Pros

That it's simple and easy to use, implementation literally takes a minute. The great thing is that you have so many tools in one place, heatmaps, recordings, surveys and more.

Cons

Sometimes when you generate a heatmap of a long page, the screenshot preview gets cut in the middle and you can't really see data of the lower parts.

Better product

An Incredible Tool for Tracking User Behaviour on a Website

Overall, amazing experience! Recommended to anyone who is into website optimisation, SEO, and technology!

Pros

The best part about this tool is it lets you see what your users are doing after landing on your website. Tools like Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics provides the best information on how you acquired the user but Hotjar shows you what the users are doing after coming through different channels! Webmasters use this data to analyse and fix the issues on their website. The implementation is easy and you can start collecting data from day 1.

Cons

Considering the number of benefits it has, its pricing is on a bit on the higher side. Also, I have used the Russian Tool - Yandex Metrica which provides the same amount of information for free. But if you have the budget, definitely go for it!

Response from Hotjar

Replied October 2019

Hey there, Alex here from the Hotjar marketing team. Really happy to hear you're getting a lot of value from Hotjar! Thank you for the review.

Jonny from Freelance Work

Powerful piece of kit

Very positive, would highly reccomend as a tool to improve site performance and to influence testing. Gives you key insights and analysis on the pain points of your site and can also add questionaire features which give invaluable information on how people find using your site.

Pros

Laden with features to help you better understand how users are interacting with your website to aid optimisations and CRO testing.

Cons

Against more expensive tools can feel like it lags behind in terms of UX, and the constant emails about trivial results can be tiresome to receive.

Response from Hotjar

Replied December 2019

Hi Jonny, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. Great to hear Hotjar has helped you better understand how your users behave on your site and improve your site by doing so. We are always working on improving our UX and are looking forward to some exciting updates in 2020. We are always open to suggestions for improvement, so if you haven't done so already, please submit a suggestion via your Hotjar account under 'Suggest a Feature'. Best, Denis from the Hotjar team

Karen from The May Creative

Helps you improve website conversions

My experience has been great I have been able to identify opportunities and create solutions that work best for my business. Plus it helps me see what areas of my website are important to users. So they can get the most helpful information they need.

Pros

Hotjar is great software to help you maximize results for your website. You can set up heatmaps to see what the high performing areas of your website are. Ask users questions as they cruise your website, plus more!

Cons

So far I have no cons its a pretty straightforward program and the free options work great for any user.

Aman from OpenRoad Auto Group Ltd.

A solid marketing intelligence tool to accurately identity UX/UI issues!

There were some apps that were causing UX/UI issues but we were able to discover them quickly using the heatmaps feature to see where the pages have interacted with the most.

Pros

We were struggling to see why some of the pages had an abnormally higher bounce rate, using Hotjar's services we were able to pinpoint the issues caused because of UX/UI apps

Cons

All happy here with the product, the team is quite satisfied with the reports we have received from Hotjar and we're the progress filter through Google Analytics, so quite satisfied!

Response from Hotjar

Replied May 2020

Hi Aman! Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar - we appreciate it! It's great to hear you were able to fix your UX issues with the help of Hotjar insights. What would you like to see in Hotjar that'd make it easier to work with that would lead you to give us 5 stars for 'Ease of Use'? Would love to hear from you - feel free to write me back and share your thoughts. Best Alex from the Hotjar team

Faiz from Infinity Web Techno

HotJar - One of the Best Tool For Visual Tracking

If anyone ask me for Overall HotJar rating, it deserves 10 out of 10, first because of it's features and second if someone new and want to try hotjar they give 2000/views per day and i suppose it is fine for new website.

Pros

HotJar is one of the best software I have used for Visual Tracking of user. It gives me complete vision what my visitor are doing on my website, what is their behaviours that help me to improve that part of website. Also Hotjar has heatmaps feature that shows my most interacted part on my website by visitor. One of the best part in that make it unique is its funnel creation using form data. HotJar help me track data submitted on forms.

Cons

Yes, I faced one issue with HotJar and not resolve yet. HotJar forms funnels not work with Angular-JS website. It did't read form due to Angular server side loading, i hope team will fix it.

Magnus from Okadabooks

Industry: Publishing

Helped me Understand users better

It is amazing product for tracking user journey and I would use it again on future products.

Pros

We used Hotjar in my company when we were working on a beta version of our product. It helped track what users were clicking on and areas they spent time on the most.

Cons

It was hard to differentiate the hotjar feedback widget from our existing comment form so some of our users left comments with the hotjar feedback widget.

Response from Hotjar

Replied October 2019

Hey Magnus, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it and it's great to hear you will use Hotjar again on your future products! Thank you for the feedback too. Our suite of Feedback tools is something that we are currently working on and you can read more about our Product Updates here: https://www.hotjar.com/product-updates If you ever have any specific suggestions on how you feel that Feedback could be improved, feel free to use the Suggest a Feature button in your account. All the best, Kayleigh

Elaine from CSC Generation

Great for customer insights

Pros

Ability to see where customers were interacting most with my pages and watch videos of their actual visits

Cons

Lack of more identifiable information (which is understood) prevents us from better assisting customers who had issues but may not have reached out to our customer service team. Also, having to manually restart capturing in increments of 1,000 / 2,000 visitors

Response from Hotjar

Replied August 2019

Hey Elaine, Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar. Great to read about the valuable insights you're getting from the tool! Following up your point about identifying customers - keep an eye on our roadmap for new functionality which will help with this: https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012303268-Product-Roadmap (There's a survey link on that roadmap page which asks about what kind of use you'd make of this functionality - if you have a minute, we'd love to get your thoughts) Many thanks and all best, Alex

Carlos from Posición Uno

Hotjar - Heatmaps Software Review

I've used 3 heatmap software using my own server and cloud hosted, but Hotjar is the best by far. The one i used that is server hosted gets a warning from services like Google Ads and Google Tag Manager.

Pros

Heatmaps, user recordings and polls are very easy to set up once your code is installed. By the way i recommend you install the tracking code using Google Tag manager which has a tag ready for hotjar, you only need to input your ID. Heatmaps are very useful when it comes to understand user behaviour and user experience. Also this software does not generate any warning from advertising networks and is 100% compliant with GDPR.

Cons

It automatically does not track 100% of traffic (but i think you can set up to track 100% traffic). Also sometimes is hard to go to see your settings if you have multiple business (eg: if you are and agency and your setting up heatmaps for your clients).