(2,399)

2,399

Browse Gusto Reviews

Artem from Illogical Robot LLC

Excellent HR/payroll software - ADP is the dinosaur, Gusto is the asteroid

I use Gusto for payroll and tax reporting, and it excels at both. It can be as simple as you need to get started easily, but also as complex as you want it to be to perform more advanced actions, like running off-cycle or bonus payroll and customizing each tax field per CPA instructions. I also set up Quickbooks Desktop integration, though I need to run the export manually and the import the downloaded .iif files. I wish it was integrated deeper into QB. Support has been responsive and knowledgeable any time I had questions.

Pros

The Gusto website UI is really intuitive and modern. It's fast and capable, and I already associate the little animated loading pig with speed and great UX.

Cons

Unlike some other newer competitors, Gusto isn't as deeply integrated into the org as it could be for onboarding new employees and removing ones who move on.

Price, modern UI

David from Prestige Medical Staffing and Marketing

Great Payroll Software for a Great Price

Overall, Gusto is great tool for achieving many of the Human Resource and Payroll functions for companies of all sizes. Gusto's ability to operate immediately as well as its ease of use make it perfect. The reminder functions in Gusto are phenomenal, well thought out and appropriately timed. The system runs well, without any issues. In fact, I don't really recall ever having an issue running payroll because Gusto was down. The product is well worth the money and has a great price point, considering all of the available functions. I would highly recommend Gusto.

Pros

Gusto allows you to run payroll, effectively, upon sign-up. The system has numerous features that help to ensure that you are reminded when payroll is supposed to be run (as an administrator its something that is frequently forgotten when extremely busy), automatically tabulates and prepares tax documents for employees and contractors and even assisted with the preparation of forms for SBA Loans during the COVID-19 pandemic. The software is straightforward and is fairly self explanatory. Gusto is also a great onboarding tool that allows you to collect a significant portion of information needed to effectively onboard an employee and comply with state and federal requirements (E-verify, etc.) Overall, the software is excellent for its price point and well worth the money.

Cons

The only con associated with Gusto is the lack of customizable report options. Obviously, this con is more of a company or need specific issue. We found that utilizing Gusto for certain reporting needs for data generation was cumbersome or not really possible. However, I must also say that there have only been two instances over the last 1-2 years that we have encountered this problem and were able to successfully obtain this information from other resources.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We ultimately selected Gusto because of the price point, ease of use and dependability associated with Gusto.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We made the switch from both Xero and QuickBooks because we found the software with Quickbooks to be overly cumbersome for our use. Further, Xero lacked a lot of the functions that we felt we needed. Gusto is able to accommodate both needs associated with our intended use.

ian from North Seattle Chiropractic

Wasted my time and money, was literally counting the days until the end of the fiscal year.

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

Pros

Nothing. I was migrated to it from XERO, when they decided to no longer do payroll

Cons

Honestly, I HATED the stupid animated piggy bank. Probably seems trivial, but it seemed emblematic of a company that was more concerned about making their software look like an iPhone app, than making it work well. The payroll was cumbersome. It woudn't let me do payroll early, or late. It basically made me run payroll within a two day window. Bank account low? Still made you run payroll, or would hassle you about messages about being late. Want to go on vacation and do a couple weeks of payroll early? Nope, out of luck. When they told me they would manage my health care premiums, I thought, great! Nope, after a week of emails and after several phone calls, I found out they were just trying to be group managers, and insurance brokers by offering me different insurers that I could choose. Zero help if I already had a group plan set up. Plus too expensive. Patriot is way simpler, and way cheaper. I do see lots of my millenial patients that are working for startups that probably won't be in business in 5 years seem to have Gusto as their payroll, so I'm just not the business that Gusto is a fit for.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

was forced to Gusto when Xero quit doing payroll.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

It was really just unwieldy, and poorly designed software.

Milan from Vimlan Tax Services, LLC.

Vimlan Tax Services LLC

Overall, 7 out of 10, could be better. It's better than most, but it needs to be better.

Pros

-It's web based -one login for staff for access to all clients. -MFA ability for each login -ability to control which clietns assigned to which login. - like other payroll engines, it does automatic paymetns (immediately) and automatic filings - multiple reports available, quarterly/monthly/yearly, etc. - tracks PTO, SIck, and auto generates if needed, - great integration with Tsheets for time clock

Cons

There is no ONE consolidated report for all clients on a custom period. EG, if I wanted a 1st quarter payroll report, with selected clients on each row of the report, and the columns having the headings for say, different data points like "gross payroll, net pay, 401K deferred, 401K roth, IL state tax paid, 941 done?" then that style of report is ONLY available if you pull that report down client by client, NOT for all clients or selected clients as a consolidated report. Email alerts are not there for specific things, like if a client exceeds a payrol amount or if a large net reimbursement check is done. There is NO mobile app. There is NO standard custom 401K year end "Annual census" report which ties in all the data points for a 5500 filing. Gusto also competes with providers for health insurance and 401K. Financial advisors like me only want Gusto to do the payroll part, not compete with us on the benefits part.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

The ability of one login for us as accountants/payroll processors, and to have the dashboard where we have access to all of our clients without the need for multiple logins. The ability to parse out clients for different logins is also key. The security this software offers is better than most. Just need email alerts and the consolidated reports which spans all clients in one report is what's needed, along with a mobile app.

December 2021

It does what it needs to do and that's all we need right now

Overall, we've been using them for over a year. We started with 3 people and have grown to 12+ employees and it's scaled well for us. There are features that could be more comprehensive in order to truly run our entire HR operations and payroll, but at this time it does the job we need it to do.

Pros

Gusto was super easy to set up, especially as a new start up and the cost was competitive compared to other platforms.

Cons

Sometimes it's not as intuitive as you would expect.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Pricing was competitive and the ramp up was simple

One-Stop Solution for your Payroll

Its the best out there for a payroll solution, especially for start-ups. Reasonably priced too.

Pros

This is a simple platform that helps you accomplish everything you need from a full service HR company.

Cons

The workers comp insurance - if there is an online marketplace in Gusto, integrated, it would be great. Right now, we're having to find ones that work with Gusto and setup separate contracts.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Better value for money and more suited for companies like mine.

Heather from Heather M McKenzie LCMHCS PLLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

December 2021

Easy start up; simple to use

I transitioned to an SCorp and needed to setup payroll for myself even though I only have myself as an employee. The process was not challenging and it's easy to run payroll.

Pros

You are walked through every step carefully and simply. Steps that could be complicated are clearly laid out.

Cons

Some things are not fixable on your own and require you to use the help features. I have found Gusto to be very slow in responding to calls and emails. They eventually do and are helpful with the fix, but since many payroll and tax issues are time sensitive, it is not ideal to wait over a month for response or resolve.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I had previously used Gusto with another company and liked the simplicity. The price of these other options was only negligibly different, so I went with what I knew.

Jeanette from 211 Humboldt Information and Resource Center

Gusto

This product is being used by our new book keeper our old book keeper used QuickBooks but

Pros

How it dose all the work for you. We don't have to worry that the correct amount is being paid to our employee or the IRS and State.

Cons

None, we have not had any issues in using Gusto.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Our new bookkeepers are using it and are happy with how it works.

Reihanan from Fixture Electric Service

Gusto is Gucci

Pros

Relatively easy to use after you learn the steps

Cons

It doesn't remember your login and constantly have to login with a dang code.

Judi from High Desert Bookkeeping

Great payroll software!

I've been very happy Gusto and refer my clients to it.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to set-up and employees can set-up their own access to view paystubs and W-2s

Cons

Sometimes it's not easy to reach customer service

Brenton from Brenton Weirich Inc

The best payroll service period! I'm always recommending to others!

From my very first client to the many I've added since, Gusto has been easy to get in touch with.

Pros

Setting up the company is a breeze. It walks you through every step to help make sure you have all the information correct. It'll even show you how to get state and local tax numbers, if needed. Setting up employees is even easier! All you need is the employees name, pay rate, and email! How crazy is that. After you enter that information, and email gets sent to the new employee to fill out all their paperwork online. Remember though to get their i-9 forms, because once they are done filling out their paperwork, you'll need to verify their i-9 docs, but it's way too easy!! Haha. Let's run payroll. Well, if it's the same each time, you can have it set up to go auto. Set it and forget it! If not, again, they make it easy. Click run payoll. Enter the times for your employees, days off, yada yada, and then submit. If you need to make a change to an employee while running payroll, just click on their name and it pulls them up for editing. Gusto submits all tax payments and reports too. Even submits child support!

Cons

One time deductions. I would love to see that feature. As for now, you have to create a deduction on the employee screen, then go back to the process payroll screen. I wish it could be added to the other more detailed pay options.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is on the cloud. Employee on boarding. Federal, State and Local payments and filings.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Ease of use compared to cost.

Andrew from Norcal Business and Tax Services

Best payroll company out there

Hands down the best and most cost-effective payroll bureau I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. I will not only recommend it to clients that don't have a payroll service but I will recommend it over any other payroll service there is essentially. It's way cheaper and way easier to use. I also have seen less mistakes then pay checks or ADP as I have worked with their payroll reports quite often when doing bookkeeping

Pros

We used to do around payroll through a company called pay soft.. or ProPay maybe another name for it. The program was decent a little bit cumbersome and the check stock was extremely expensive. They did their own payroll as a bureau. As a result of having their own proprietary software built they also sold it which was overpriced and in the long run didn't make us money. Just being a recommendation agency essentially and controlling if you ever clients payroll through gusto it's made us more money and they offer way more than ADP or paychecks ever has offered us.

Cons

There's not much I don't like about this software besides maybe the fact that it isn't really a software that you download it's an internet interface so if you're internet somehow becomes unreachable or it's down you can't really print out checks with proper taxes withheld. This is An occurrence few and far between and can always be advanced and then paid back once you can access it again. A desktop GUI that just calls in the website would be a handy tool for owners and accountants to be able to take more effort into their own hands on payroll

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Paysoft payroll or ProPay would be its software that I used was inferior. They would not even give you the update to make w-2s unless you resubscribed for the year. Their check stock would cost about $500 for a box. It is absolutely insane what they charge people. I understand that they are their own payroll bureau but if they are going to offer their software out for accounting firms then they shouldn't financially rape their customers which they do and I'm sure they'll continue. This is also why they will never be a name that anyone knows

Rick from Sandoval Agency

Payroll with a personal touch

I’ve used Gusto as a freelancer with clients that operate their business with this service. I also use it at my day job with my Agency to manage my team's time off benefits and payroll. It’s a great product that I find myself recommending to others all the time

Pros

There are many products available that handle payroll, benefits, and employee database. My favorite thing about Gusto is that it uses a very human and personal approach to what could very easily be a cold and lifeless system or department. I love the option to add contractors through he payroll system too. The gusto customer service team is top notch. Turbo Tax integration is fantastic

Cons

There’s very little to complain about with Gusto. I do wish it had a more catered option for freelancer one man band type of operations.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto has a personal touch and they’re customer service team is fantastic too

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is a product that feels like it’s designed by people who think about people.

Jenni from Want & Emery CPA's

Best DIY software in the payroll market

I have been using Gusto for for a couple of years now and love it. They are consistently working on improving and seek guidance from their partners. Like with any software, there are funny little quirks that you get to know. Overall, it is a fantastic platform.

Pros

Gusto's self-onboarding and employee communication is leaps and bounds ahead of their competition, as is their clean, user-friendly interface.

Cons

Customer service has been struggling recently. There should be a way to have a salary that doesn't change when the hours are changed. The other downside is that if there is an error, you have to void the entire payroll. An option to void a single check would be a great improvement.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Direct deposit turnaround, features that Patriot doesn't support

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is more user friendly and allows for collaboration with the employer, employee and payroll processor.

Carly from Momentum Tax & Financial

Awesome Product and Support Staff

Payroll and tax payments can be time consuming and Gusto allows for the accounting team to do more important work and still feel like everything is being taken care of on the payroll side. Their customer service teams are extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros

Auto-sync and tax payments are the best features of the product that go above other products. Gusto will file the taxes for you, will send corrections if need be, and keeps track of all of that for your ease of mind. Their customer service team is above reproach, always willing to look into a problem and resolve it as soon as possible.

Cons

This is nitpicky, but the layout of the website often changes slightly. It would be nice if there was more consistency in the format. But the tool itself is above reproach.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is a really good choice for small business owners who want to have the support of a full payroll service program, without the crazy costs that can go along with that.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

QBO Payroll requires you to file most of the extra paperwork and taxes yourself, but Gusto takes care of that automatically for you.

William from Ebenezers Coffeehouse

Foundational HR Tools for the Little Guys

Excellent! I love their customer service, I love that they keep me aware of what's going on in the world of HR/Payroll laws. I love that they helped find retirement and heath care options for my employees so that I can grow the benefits to my folks! I'm obviously a big fan of what these guys are doing.

Pros

These guys make me compliant with the evolving landscape of HR and payroll without distracting me from the core functions of my small business. They made on-boarding from my old payroll system easy. They found mistakes I'd made and helped me to correct them so even my tax history was compliant. Their customer service is excellent and I'm incredibly pleased with their Homebase integration. Super clean!

Cons

While the onboarding was much smoother than I anticipated, it was still a bit more cumbersome than described. It's definitely a hands-on process.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto made their pricing clear and demonstrated their ability to make onboarding as clean and easy as possible.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

QuickBooks is incredibly cumbersome and I was often left with enormous doubt as to whether what I needed to do was actually done. Their integrations for payment of taxes were difficult and I was still left to the legwork of filing. The amount of time I spent doing HR was eating up my ability to react and get ahead of all the other COVID-19 requirements.

Karen from Rational Acoustics LLC

Great Payroll Processing Platform for Small Businesses

Overall Gusto has been great for our company. We save time and money handling payroll in-house, as opposed to paying an outside service to do it for us. And we have peace of mind that Gusto is there to support us when/if we need it.

Pros

Gusto has been a great resource for us to handle our own payroll processing & HR management in-house. It is super easy to set up and manage and has a really intuitive user interface. Onboarding new employees is a snap, time-tracking is simple to manage for both employees and managers, and running payroll only takes us a few minutes twice a month. Having employees able to manage their own banking info and paycheck splits and W4s has saved our HR dept a ton of time and headaches. And we love having an online library of company forms and documents we can distribute to employees quickly and easily. Also, their customer support is amazing. We are signed up for the Conceriege level service and have a dedicated team of customer service people who are knowledgable and friendly and responsive and have helped us out with innumerable questions.

Cons

Moving from our previous payroll processor (ADP) to Gusto was easy, because we decided to do it at the beginning of a new fiscal year. The one issue we did experience was in setting up our company's Federal and State tax filing details. Gusto does not assist you with this, so we had to track down all of our company's employer account #s and UI tax rates and filing frequencies for the 3 different states where we have employees and manually enter it into Gusto. We ended up making a mistake on one state's filing frequency, which ended up costing us a bit of $$ in penalties. It would have been nice if Gusto had been able to assist us with this as part of the switch over from ADP. Also, Gusto does not offer benefits administration in our state (yet). Hopefully that will be coming soon, as it would be nice to handle payroll and benefits through one platform. And they could cut down on the number of "recommended" services from affiliated companies that pop up on the admin dashboard these days.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Price, ease of use and better customer reviews

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We were using ADP through an administrative services company who was handling all of our payroll and hr benefits. But they did a terrible job and we ended up cancelling our contract with them and decided to try bringing payroll processing in-house.

Alicia from Bellatrix Law LLC

I’m an employment lawyer and I consistently recommend Gusto to my clients

Customer support is great. This is a good company. They aren’t the cheapest. And they aren’t the most expensive. I think the extra cost is worth it to ensure compliance.

Pros

Gusto is easy and straightforward to use. But it doesn’t sacrifice accuracy for ease. What I like most about Gusto is that it makes it easy for small businesses to be legally compliant with complicated wage laws across jurisdictions. I haven’t found a legal error yet — and I can’t say that about any other payroll software or service I’ve worked with over the last 15 years.

Cons

I wish the price didn’t jump up so much for time clock feature. Getting clients to use the integrated time clock can be a challenge, and it creates unnecessary problems. It should be included in the base fee.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I’ve got experience with all of these payroll companies. I feel that Gusto is the most reliable and easiest to understand and use.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is easier to use than RUN and is cheaper. It also has much better support. ADP plays sales games sometimes.

Delene from Ostler Orthodontics

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OVER THE TOP

We have had Intuit (quickbooks) for years and years. And for years and years we have hated it. The customer service is horrible, and so we finally decided to try something else. We found Gusto on an internet search, did a little research and decided that this smaller company might just be what we were looking for. Entering all of the employee information and weekly payroll numbers is super simple. The screens are easy to understand, not cluttered at all. And the Pig - oh the pig - there's a cute little pig that takes a walk when you switch screens. He's a cutie!!!

Pros

We are finally done with Intuit Payroll. So difficult to actually talk to a live person when you need help. I did a little research and found that Gusto does payroll for small companies so I decided to give them a try. My thought was that it certainly can't be any worse than Intuit. And WOW - did they ever Overdeliver! The absolute best thing about Gusto is that you don't have to go through a bazillion menus on the phone trying to figure out which number to press so that your call gets routed to the right person. You actually get to talk to a live person when you call their company. Setting up all of the employees has been very easy, nothing difficult to figure out, the flow from one screen to the next is not complicated at all. So far - we love Gusto!

Cons

The only thing that I think they could improve on would be integrating your existing numbers into their system. In order to be able to print accurate W-2's at the end of the year, I have to enter my employee paystubs from January 1 through today (May) into their system. It makes sense, I know it has to be done. It is just a tedious job and I'd rather not do it. Although I must say, that the 3 times I ran into a snag while entering the information, I called them and the issue was fixed instantly. Their customer service ROCKS!

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

They had great reviews, they provided all of the options that we required and their pricing was fabulous!

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

The number one reason we switched was because the customer service with Intuit Quickbooks is horrible. You cannot talk to a human, you have to jump through so many menus on the phone, it's actually hard to find a phone number sometimes, and the representatives cannot always solve the issue. We wanted a payroll company that was not complicated - and we found it in Gusto!!!

Alex from eMDTec

Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business

Overall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly. The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.

Pros

We chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto. Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto. Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc. Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.

Cons

The hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.

Cost and ease of use.

Knox from Serendipity Education

Literally a worry-free payroll solution

Gusto saves our company lots of time! I spend literally an hour on HR/payroll each week, because Gusto does so much of the heavy lifting. For the price, I totally believe I am getting great ROI. It also integrates well with our accounting software.

Pros

Gusto makes managing employee relations, payroll, and benefits so simple. You truly get a lot of bang for your buck. We're able to manage payroll processing; time/attendance; benefits; onboarding; and salary offers all in place. Their web-based technology has great up-time and is very easy to use. I also like the fact that Gusto does all of your federal and state payroll document filings and return (quarterly and annual). Every form needed to remain in compliance with the feds and state are filed by Gusto on your behalf. That takes the headache away and allows my company to focus on matters that are more critical at this time.

Cons

There is not much I can say here other than their support isn't necessarily a phone call away. That said, they answer emails and tickets super quick. I haven't been much in a pinch to need an immediate response to issues, and their self-service support center is rather extensive.

Pricing; bang for buck.

Sandy from Moxie Bookkeeping

User Friendly

Very good. We always recommend Gusto as one of the top payroll companies to use for our clients that are starting payroll for the first time.

Pros

I use Gusto for my clients as well as for our own company. I find it very user friendly, especially for my tech-phobic clients. I also like their tech support. They are easy to reach by phone, chat or email and the technicians are very patient.

Cons

The import mapping. This is the only reason I wouldn't give 5 stars. When the payroll is simple, the mapping is fine but for more complicated payrolls, the mapping is a nightmare. Also, that it imports to Xero as a bill. Clients find it really difficult to grasp how to work with this. In their mind payroll has already been "paid" so when they see it show up as an unpaid bill, they get confused or worried that their employees didn't get paid.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We give the pro's and con's to our clients and let them make their choice. Our company chose Gusto because we use Xero and they are partnered.

Jessi from Liv Foods, Inc.

Industry: Food Production

Gusto is my favorite payroll software ever!!

Great customer service, great value, great UI, I've referred to to so many people already.

Pros

It's like someone was listening to me complain about Quickbooks payroll and ADP (and Tsheets) and made a software just for me. It's so simple - I was using an accountant to run payroll through ADP - Gusto saves so much time I can do it myself.

Cons

The reporting tools aren't super robust.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Great sales and onboarding experience and multiple people referred me to them.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

ADP is so archaic and the employee experience was too confusing for them. Plus, it has time tracking so I don't have to pay for tsheets anymore.

Andrea from Phoenixintegrativemedicine

Payroll has become a breeze!

Overall, I would recommend Gusto since it is very easy to use and navigate, and they literally handle all aspects of payroll. In the last 5 years of using their service, I have had no problems submitting their forms to my accoutant, he is pleased with the access to their services as well!

Pros

I am not an accountant, nor did I take any business or accounting classes in college. Payroll was always a chore and a daunting task. Gusto has taken over all those aspects and provided an online way to check in on employees info/w2's, tax info at a glance, and even sends reminders when employees are due to be paid, who has been paid and who has not etc, it has made payroll so fun!

Cons

The customer service is great, but the response time on answers is longer than desired. I am used to dealing with online companies that respond to businesses right away, or even just answer one part of the problem and let me know they will get back to me on the rest of the problem with more in depth solutions.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Ease of use, reliability, and I trust them after using them for years and have not had problems or errors in payroll.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

The original payroll company I was using was not an online software application, rather a brick and mortar site with much higher fees.

Payroll for the twenty first century

Overall, even though we were hesitant at first, we couldn’t be happier that we made the switch from our previous provider. We’ve gotten lots of very positive feedback from our employees on the system as well!

Pros

I love the clean, simple, modern, easy to use user interface and user experience - for both the admin and employees in Gusto. It feels robust and relevant, not clunky and convoluted like many other outdated, expensive systems.

Cons

I do wish there were some more integrations, and/or that the present integrations were slightly more robust.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Customer support and ease of on boarding & overall very smooth user experience with modern interface

Cost primarily

Lance from Pixels Down

Gusto has won me over for life.

Time sheets, paycheck stubs, tax documents for my employees are all available to them without any extra work needed by me. Gusto takes care of it al.

Pros

I love how easy it is for my employees to see their paycheck stubs, get their tax documents, and even do a early cash out option if they need a little extra money before payday. They have recently introduced time tracking, which solved another issue I had with keeping track of everyone's hours in another product.

Cons

I don't have many cons regarding Gusto. So far it has met all my needs flawlessly. The one con I would say is that the insurance process could be a little less confusing.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto has more features regarding paycheck stubs and they are adding new features all the time. Most other products seem to be stagnant.

Tim from Pro powder and Abrasive Supply

Industry: Wholesale

Good software not great.

Although some issues are frustrating the software works better than QuickBooks payroll. The cost also offsets some of the issues.

Pros

Most functions are easy to use. Some are more difficult and although they may offer some features, they can be difficult to find.

Cons

Customer support. I think when you pay for software you should have a phone number you can reach out to for technical support. I personally do not like paying for a service where I have to send a message and wait for a call back. This makes it more difficult when you are processing something time sensitive, such as payroll, and have to stop what you are doing only to hope you have time to go back to it when they finally call you. Employees have also complained about customer service regarding their accounts.

Cost

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Lack of customer support.

Erik from McNair Media

Great HR Option for Small Businesses

As an owner/operator starting out, I ran into problems implementing other payroll systems for our company. Luckily I came across Gusto and got things up and running g fast. We’ve been using it ever since.

Pros

Easy on boarding and constantly communicating with our management staff has kept Gusto in its place of being our payroll management system for our employees.

Cons

It’s a little pricey, especially since we don’t use all of the available features but it’s a good system overall.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I trust Gusto more in that this is the primary thing they do for businesses

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto was easier to implement and provided more support

Coby from Pet Butler of Maryland

Industry: Facilities Services

Great payroll service for the little guy

Gusto is doing a better job than my previous payroll company for less money. They seem to really care about their customers and their experience.

Pros

The payroll features make doing payroll very easy. The employees can log their times and I can easily verify them and sync it with payroll. I feel like this company really cares about their customers much more than my previous "large payroll provider"

Cons

Site navigation can be a little bit difficult at times. I have to do some searching to find what I am looking for. Reporting is OK but could be better.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I had used QB in the past and it was ok, but Gusto seems to have more features for a better price and they seem to care more about my business than Intuit does. Intuit is very difficult to work with.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Run was not user friendly and much too expensive. I felt like an unimportant customer to a large company.

MICHAEL from JONES COMMUNICATIONS

The best online payroll provider I have ever used

Pros

Gusto is extremely simple and quick to configure, and speedy to run payrolls—even custom payrolls or additional payrolls—during the month. It has been an incredibly user-friendly and intuitive solution for someone not familiar with accounting or payroll processes.

Cons

I have had nothing but success with Gusto. No issues, no payroll processing problems, nothing. They pull funds Monday for Friday pay, which might be a long gap, but also offer a shorter payroll process, where you can pull funds Wednesday for Friday pay . . . I just haven't configured that shorter process yet.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Price and Gusto's stronger reputation for customer service

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Needed something less expensive and more intuitive to configure

Pamela from Allen, Jane, & Co.

We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning

I would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.

Pros

Easy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.

Cons

Really, only three minor complaints: I miss their old name, ZenPayroll. Gusto just doesn't explain them like ZenPayroll did. Payroll truly is easy with them. Gusto is literally defined as "the enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest"—the direct opposite of Zen. That's a total reversal that doesn't make sense. Also, deposits into employee accounts show up as Gusto rather than our company. Finally, accounting integration is dependent on downloading files and then importing. I would really like to see direct integration with the major accounting platforms like Quickbooks and Xero. I know, I'm nitpicking in both cases, but I had to think of something...

Michelle from BFS

Gusto is a Great Payroll Option

My overall experience with Gusto has been very positive and they are a company who wants to support their customers. I have faith that they will sort out the customer service issues and that they are just a result of growing pains.

Pros

We have been with Gusto for a long time now and find it to be easy and intuitive to use. Employees are able to log in and access their information. Gusto is constantly adding new features and now allows for time tracking by project which is a feature offered by several of their competitors. It is possible to assign managers to approve employee hours without making them a full admin with access to salary info.

Cons

It is not possible to assign managers to contractors to approve hours which would be helpful. Also, they are experiencing severe growing pains. In the beginning, Gusto support was excellent, however, the response time has gone way up in recent months. They are currently taking 2-3 weeks to respond to many support questions. This is very frustrating and I have clients who have incurred state tax penalties while waiting on Gusto to reply. Their reps are not as knowledgeable as they were earlier either, probably due to having to increase their team so quickly.

Trevor from Inturact

Best platform for payroll, benefits & more

Overall it has been great to have everything in one place. Before we used Zenefits and Gusto and moved everything to Gusto. Its been a good move.

Pros

It simple to use and does everything we need to run the primary administrative tasks for our business.

Cons

The HSA feature did not move over seamlessly from Zenefits and is more expensive for a small team to have and the 401k option has been a bit of work to get moved over.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We had benefits in Zenefits and payroll in Gusto when both companies concentrated on these areas. Once they both begin offering both we weighed our options to combine everything into a single platform. It seemed like Gusto was headed in the right direction more than Zenefits.

David from Managing Partner

Industry: Oil & Energy

Customer service leaves you lacking

I would have gave them a 5 star rating a year ago, but their customer service as dropped to bottom tier in the past 12 months. The software is good but if you need help it is now next to impossible to get to help. I have discussed this with them on numerous occasions and it has only gotten worse. The problem is no matter how good the software is - if you need help with payroll, you need the help now. If you are skilled in all things payroll you should be ok.

Pros

It is easy to use and easy to implement. The self service reporting is OK and they are good at state filings.

Cons

If you have any sort of question or problem you will be waiting a good bit to find someone who can help you

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

This is better software but worse customer service

Heather from AAH

Catches All

Having payroll done properly and also having insurance information right there is great. Service industry as a whole has no ins but I can give options that employees can get if they are interested on their own.

Pros

There is one thing that separates this from other payroll/HR...it catches everything. I don't have to offer ins but there is a lot of information availiable thru Gusto if I need it. However, child support orders also require insurance is availiable for the child. Servers job bounce and don't always mention court orders on the tax paper work. Gusto knows, Im not sure if it is specifically looked for because of an innovate idea that the child support order is for the child..per the law. Or the software properly scans the social and does the right thing. Gusto then provides the insurance options as well as reports job agency. As a divorced mom..I love this and everyone in in compliance.

Cons

Because of all the properly following the rules in court ordered garnishment for employees, I had a high turn over. Well more paperwork for me is the least? Ill take it. I now mention this little payroll feature at interview and thin it from there.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Well, when I am paying for a service and have a question about how my money is being paid out I would like a call back.

Easy to use payroll software

Gusto is fantastic - it's incredibly easy to use software to manage your payroll, get your employees paid and keep you legally compliant. For small businesses, you have to make sure that you pay your employees properly, that you withhold the right amount of taxes, that they earn overtime if their roles are entitled to it, that you file the right monthly and quarterly taxes with your state and the federal government. It's a lot to know. And Gusto manages all of that for you.

Pros

Gusto is so easy to use, it takes care of everything for you when it comes to payroll. Just connect a bank account, enter your business information, and you can start onboarding and paying employees. There are so many pieces to payroll - legal requirements, taxes, withholding, etc. - yet Gusto handles it all so incredibly simply and easily.

Cons

One complaint I had about Gusto was that when I was first using it, it did not have a good integration for 401ks, and the one they built with Guideline was not great, in my opinion.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto was so easy to use.

Jesse from BooksTime, Inc.

Best option out there

Very positive.

Pros

We (BooksTime) are an accounting firm and work with many payroll solutions for many different businesses. Gusto is the most user-friendly of them all, by far. Plus, it has a modern, slick interface. And Gusto has a far better track record for consistent quality, compared to their biggest competitors.

Cons

More features would be nice. For example: ability to pay contractors in Puerto Rico, more employee dossier and evaluation features, etc. Also would be nice if each client had a dedicated support person, instead of a different contact for each new question/problem.

David from Solanimus Inc.

Industry: Computer Games

Former user, but returning soon because it just plain works

Using Gusto was smooth in terms of user interface and communication with customer support, beyond the issue I had with two payrolls primarily because I misunderstood a setting. I left Gusto for a competitor simply because of a unique deal, but have since decided to return to Gusto later this year.

Pros

Gusto just works, and the user interface is more intuitive than ADP's tools I had used before. The company also seems to be more aggressive than some competitors in integrating new services around the payroll management related to HR.

Cons

This feature has since been changed, and their user interface has changed since as well, so it should no longer be an issue: We had two separate payrolls that didn't pay out on time, and although they helped remedy the situation because of a setting issue, I was a bit disappointed that it was unclear to me what that setting described. At times, normally when competitors do sales, Gusto's pricing isn't as attractive for what is offered.

ADP was priced out.

Jack from Swartout Dental

Great service!

The overall experience with Gusto has been great! We shopped around last December and got it right with Gusto. It would be hard to believe anyone out there could be the value that Gusto has.

Pros

This was exactly what we needed for our small company that just needed basic payroll. There is more functionality should we ever need it but the basic set up is a great price and covers our payroll needs.

Cons

There really are no downsides. The service is great at reminding to submit payroll and giving exact numbers to expect before submitting.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

The bare bones Gusto program gave great value for low cost. It is a plug and play system that requires little effort to run the payroll every other week.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We switched due to the cost and issues we were having with customer service of the previous service.

Highly recommended - easy to to do payroll

Overall experience rolling out this product in HR has been great - users are happy, and has improved performance >15%

Pros

- excellent interface - handles variety of employee class - full time, part time and contractors - handles paperwork for administration, tax purposes and immigration. No other competitors dot hat - available across all states in US

Cons

- Inflexibility in some areas, limited choices and product makes you stick to their workflow. Trying to submit for a feature request takes a long time to implement

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Handling of contract workers and immigration form filing assistance

Handling of contract workers

Brad from Crisp

Industry: Restaurants

I LOVE Gusto! Gusto is pleasant to use and takes care of soo many things I don't want to worry about

1- Saves the headache of having no idea where to start with many accounting and HR functions of your business: No business owner actually enjoys worrying about all of those things. Gusto takes many of the functions that are most confusing/frustrating as a business owner and does them for you so you feel confidence that you aren't missing anything and it's done right. 2- Saves time: It automates many of the functions that shouldn't ever be done manually. And because of that I don't have to do as much or I don't have to pay as much for routine services that don't add value to my business. 3- Saves money: As a startup, you feel like you need to figure out a lot of things a normal business would normally just pay for because you can't afford it. Gusto is affordable enough that it's doable for a young company all while doing enough work that it's easy to justify the cost, which many services fail to do.

Pros

It's SIMPLE!!! One of few products/software I unequivocally love! Most every business owner hates doing tedious accounting, payroll and HR work that takes away valuable time from their being able to work on what's most important, their business. Gusto takes care of Federal tax payments, calculations, payroll setup, and a number of other things that are a black hole to me and makes it all feel manageable. If I want to add a new employee, I just click to set up a new employee and Gusto walks you and the employee step by step through everything that needs to be done. And for far cheaper than paying an accounting firm! I also love their playfulness and marketing. They make using their service truly a pleasure to use at every touchpoint.

Cons

I can't say this about many software that I use, but I have loved absolutely everything about Gusto. I can't say enough about it. Maybe my only complaint is that they don't take care of legal and other stuff I really dislike doing.

Simply the best

I've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.

Pros

Ease of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.

Cons

It's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Square's Payroll interface is simple, but almost too simple, pulling reports was kind of a pain and difficult to integrate our accountant into.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

QBO payroll was not only expensive but hard to use.

Karla from Altitude Financial Services LLC

Gusto is an ideal payroll service for smaller companies

This software save us processing time and the headaches of filing payroll tax returns and paying taxes. They prefer working with companies with up to 50 employees I think - really big payrolls will not be a good fit for Gusto.

Pros

Gusto technical support is excellent and the product is easy to use. As a cloud based payroll program it is easy to run payroll from anywhere at any time. I have had clients in different service based and non profit businesses on it for several years. The cost is reasonable and in fact the core program can save a great deal as compared with the big nationally recognized names. This company is also national and offers many employee benefits that the leaders offer. You can set payroll to run automatically if it is the same every time, and it syncs with Quickbooks Online online.

Cons

I sometimes have a little trouble customizing reports quickly and have not seen a way to save them for future use. But they do have a good selection of reports available. That includes being really proactive about PPP loan reports.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

integration with QBO, price, easy of use, support

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I switched to save my clients money on payroll processing- Gusto has a discount that accountants can pass on to the client. The fee is a flat monthly fee plus a small charge per employee - not per payroll. The fee covers a lot of service.

Micah from Blue Cat Cafe

Surprisingly made me look forward to doing payroll every week.

This made our service industry payroll extremely easy to complete. Calculating tips and benefits was done quickly to save time! Highly recommend this software and this company! Their customer service team is also outstanding.

Pros

You can really tell that Gusto prides itself on its visuals and infotainment. The platform is extremely intuitive and pleasing to use, especially for those who might be new to payroll or not comfortable in the trenches of spreadsheets.

Cons

Gusto can be bogged down at times, I’ve had slight issues with on boarding information getting lost but customer service has always been quick to respond and assist.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto was reasonably priced and the functions were perfect for our small but growing team, making hourly payroll management very simple.

Marvin from Marvel Landscapes Inc.

Switching from other major payroll service to Gusto

Overall, I am very pleased with Gusto and don't have any plans to switch to another payroll provider. On top of all the great features it has for weekly payroll, their PPP support has been great.

Pros

User interface, much more friendly and easy to use then major competitor I switched from. Employee onboarding is a breeze as well as all taxes being set up properly and taken care of.

Cons

Direct deposits being delayed for employees because other employees payroll wasn't skipped. Later found out that I needed to skip a persons payroll that wasn't getting a check in order to make sure the other employees get their direct deposit on time.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Overall reviews of Gusto were high and their interface looked most attractive.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Tired of Quickbooks interface.

July 2016

Miriam from Mueller Bookkeeping

July 2016

Want to hug Gusto

Pros

I am a bookkeeper, but I hate payroll. Hate it! It's confusing, and there are a lot of regulations, and a lot of paperwork. Gusto's online system makes it more clear than any other system I've seen, and in fact, sometimes I use it to clean up messes that other payroll services have made. I haven't seen any errors yet for my clients, and when I call about something, I've always gotten a good and useful answer. Also handy to include contractor payments for small consulting firms. Employees and contractors like the online access to pay stubs and so on.

Cons

Some things are a little inflexible, due to it being a piece of software rather than a service. So, for example, you can't tell it to add $100 to someone's paycheck once a month for a transportation allowance. Rather, you have to do $50 each paycheck. This works fine if you do payroll monthly or bi-monthly, but if you're on a 2-week system, you end up adding it manually each time. Anyway, just a few issues like that. I think their contractor system is limited and a bit expensive - I would love to add a way to be clearer about invoice numbers and other memo/description issues.

Kyle from Business Services Collective NFP

Great, simple payroll

Overall Gusto is a great solution for a small, start up company with very basic payroll needs and no appetite for paying an expensive processing solution. Anyone comfortable using the internet can quickly get their people paid and Gusto makes it a breeze to stay compliant!

Pros

We pay payroll monthly and pay contractors weekly. Gusto made it very easy for me to provide the information I know -- how many hours worked and what the hourly rate is-- while Gusto takes care of the stuff I don't know (What to file with the gov't, how to withhold, how much to withhold, where to send the payments etc). I feel confident Gusto keeps my company compliant, and it's super easy to get my people paid.

Cons

Venturing beyond payroll and contractor payments, Gusto's features and expertise seems limited. They made workers' comp very easy and I'm glad for that. Their customer support has almost always helped me get to the right answer eventually but it feels hard to get hold of a real person and confirm they understand my question right away.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Price, easy of use, sense of control.

Melissa from TN Turfgrass Association

Payroll Software that cannot be beat!

Gusto payroll makes running payroll for my company very easy and hassle free. I am so glad that when I was reviewing payroll software I found gusto. I highly recommend it to anyone who is using other softwares.

Pros

I absolutely love gusto. I cannot say enough things about it. It was so easy to set up and even easier to use to run payroll. I love that there is an app for the employees where they can get alerts, set up their bank accounts, add bank accounts and then choose how much goes into each account. It gives them full control. Gusto handles all the payroll tax reporting so that is one less thing that I have to worry about. They have an excellent customer service staff who are readily available to help you should you need help.

Cons

This service does not have any cons. There is not one single thing that I can think of that I dislike about gusto.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I chose Gusto because they had the best price as well as an easy to use web portal. I love that I brought my payroll in house and no longer have to rely on something else to do it for me. Honestly, I cannot say enough good things about Gusto. Highly recommend.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I wanted to bring my payroll in house.

Makes Payroll and Admin Easy

Great they do really good integrations with zappier and all the major services that work well with it.

Pros

This makes payroll and administration of the backend of the business easy. Helps us stay up on the latest changes in employment issues and filing for our business and contractors.

Cons

It runs too easily in the background. If you don't stay ontop of logging back in time to time you might miss updates and changes. They do a good job of keeping you in the loop of what's going on.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Quickbooks and Intuit are terrible.

Katie from The Harry Potter Alliance

Review!

Gusto is reasonably priced and the customer service is EXCELLENT, especially compared to our old system. Everything about it is intuitive or clearly explained, answers are easy to find, and overall it's quick and very pleasant to use.

Pros

Gusto is so clean, simple, intuitive, and encouraging. They build in a workflow that is easy to understand and includes celebratory "You did it!" or "We'll take care of this next part!" tidbits. Customer service is quick and literally always solves the problem in a friendly, affable way. Plus it's affordable, and the little pig mascot is cute.

Cons

Nothing. Gusto is wonderful. I recommend this to everyone.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Paychex customer service was awful. The prices were similar, but getting questions answered was a nightmare, as was wrapping up paperwork following a termination. We have employees in multiple states and Paychex constantly seemed to struggle with managing that even though it's pretty common? Our lives got way easier after switching to Gusto.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 3,220 reviews