• Pros

• "The program is very easy to use, and interfaces with quick books."

• "I love seeing my day and billable hours calculated in real time, the calendar format makes it easier for me to keep my time and helps me get all of my time recorded quickly. "

• "Very easy to enter time. Seamless transition for billing to Quickbooks"

• Cons

• "Some technical difficulties/error messages but is quickly rectified by customer support"

• "The communicating / integrating with quickbooks has not always run smoothly but understand that initially it takes time to work out the kinks."

• "I have heard LeanLaw does not have all the bells and whistles that some of the other legal softwares have. That did not dissuade us because we were actually looking for something simple. "

Browse LeanLaw Reviews

Lynda from Artesani Bookkeeping

My go to app for working with Law firms and QuickBooks Online

All of the law firms I work with use LeanLaw. We are even converting clients from desktop PC law to LeanLaw/QuickBooks Online. We are conversion specialists in moving law firm clients to the cloud.

Pros

It's ease of use. From the attorney's perspective, it is very intuitive. Produces high-quality invoices. From the Accountant's perspective, it works seamlessly with QuickBooks Online. I love the two-way sync and the billable expenses feature.

Cons

Nothing, the even have high-level customer service. Great app!

Aaron from Todrin Law, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

I'm a solo practitioner and LeanLaw provides exactly what I need from billing to IOLTA management.

The ability to track, monitor, and control my business.

Pros

The intuitive nature of the software is excellent. Like any software, it takes some getting used to, and there will be bumps and hiccups along the way, but once you figure it all and get comfortable with the platform, it is a pleasure to use. The streamlined process from setting up trust to entering time to billing the client couldn't be more straight forward. If you take a retainer first, and bill the client against the retainer, or just bill your client and accept payment after, LeanLaw accommodates all arrangements. In addition, the seamless and real-time integration with Quickbooks Online makes this software truly special. To be able to get a snapshot of my business at all times, and see exactly where I am at financially and billing with all my clients gives me an incredible advantage when running my business. Lastly, the customer support is stellar. LeanLaw support is always ready to help, and they are patient and efficient, no matter how simple the problem seems. As a solo practitioner, I was very nervous to start my own practice, and LeanLaw has made it worlds easier. I recommend this software to anyone and everyone.

Cons

The only thing I don't like about the software is that I don't have 1000 clients yet and a billion in operating. Like anything, it takes some time to get used to, but that is no fault of LeanLaw.

Response from LeanLaw

Replied February 2019

Thanks for the review, Aaron! Glad you're enjoying the software

Paul from Augustine Law Offices, PLLC

Lean Law Saves Time and Money for Sole Practitioner

The software is easy to use, intuitive, and saves me time and money. Moving to the cloud has been the best decision I have ever made and Lean Law allowed me to do so. I highly recommend Lean Law to any firm looking for improved efficiency in timekeeping, billing and productivity. They have very responsive customer service should the need arise.

Pros

It is easy to use, integrates with Quickbooks for billing, allows me to access my timekeeping software from anywhere and has saved me time and money since I began using it. It is easy to use and very intuitive.

Cons

The online version of Quickbooks is more difficult to use than the computerized version.

MARIA from L&R

Expenses expenses

overall it is helping with tracking expenses to pass along to clients

Pros

Expense option having variations that I choose to input. We do not utilize the time and/or calendar feature.

Cons

Donna from Law Office of Orsen E Paxton, III P.C.

First use was difficult

Pros

I do appreciate the support from techs that have been patient with me. In the beginning, almost a year ago, there were quite a few things I needed LeanLaw to be able to do. For the most part, these things were addressed to my satisfaction. What I like most about the software: that I can work from home It's taken me a year, but I am 'fairly' satisfied with the software.

Cons

I hate that invoicing isn't via LeanLaw. I hate Quickbooks online and would rather all invoicing was via LeanLaw and my Quickbooks was used as a desktop version like I have used for 15 years or longer. I think the fact that I have to pay for Quickbook Online, which I repeat I hate, in order to use LeanLaw is an additional cost that I do not feel like I should have to pay. Plus, the basic QBooks online isn't ideal, but I refuse to upgrade at this point. For what I am paying monthly, for LLaw & QBooks has already surpassed the cost of buying billing software outright and it hasn't even been a year yet. So, my main con is that LeanLaw only works with Quickbooks online. Oh, and I so wish LeanLaw would produce a bill even though no time has posted that month. I want it to produce a bill with balance due (from previous bills). For now, I have to reprint past due bills from QBooks every month :/

Leanlaw works great for me

LeanLaw and Quickbooks Online allow me to handle all my billing, receivables, and accounting in a straightforward, understandable way. I am a sole practitioner and it saves me a lot of time with these tasks. Plus, the customer support is quick and responsive on those occasions when I need it!

Pros

Ease of use, customer support when needed, good integration with Quickbooks Online

Cons

Can't really think of anything negative.

Kelsey from Law for Conscious Leadership

Industry: Law Practice

Very user friendly and helpful

I was one of the first users and have seen how the company is dedicated to improving the product as it learns more. They are always available to troubleshoot and help me. It has helped me manage my solo practice.

Pros

I like the timekeeping and how the invoicing links directly to Quickbook.

Cons

It used to link directly with Gmail and Google Drive and that isn't supported anymore. I wish it was.

Great product that's easy to use!

LeanLaw is an exceptional service that has timely and responsive customer service. Recommend highly.

Pros

This software is easy to use, and user intuitive. I'm just a regular user so I don't run reports, or create new files - so my use is confined to just billing clients and it couldn't be easier.

Cons

Occasionally there are glitches where I find my input time on a different date than I entered, however, that was easily fixed by the LeanLaw team.

Martha from Lorne Gross & Associates

Lean Law - Ease of Use and customer support

We just migrated to Lean Law with QB in July of last year from Clio. With Lean Law you can find the information you require very easily and quickly. Billing is much easier than Clio or PC Law overall we are extremely happy with Lean Law.

Pros

This software is one of the easiest and intuitive programs I have every used in a law firm and I have been a law clerk for over 20 years. The support team is fantastic, they are willing to spend any amount of time to fix a glitch with you on the phone and assist you with any type of problem you may have.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about the program.

Jenny from Douglas H McPhail, PLC

Industry: Law Practice

Essential for seamless time-tracking and billing

Invoicing is no longer a day long process

Pros

LeanLaw integrates with Quickbooks Online so efficiently I can't believe we were invoicing without it.

Cons

Possibly could use some more reporting features.

Amy from Holt Legal Group

Lean Law Review

Our time keeping ability is much improved from Juris and the attorneys are more involved by entering their own (most) time. I have really enjoyed the lean law staff and I wish they were standalone and didnt need QBO online cause it sucks!

Pros

The help from customer service and on-boarding. they were always available to help me until we got up and running. The software is very user friendy.

Cons

So far there is not much i dont like. I think that is there was one thing I could change it would be printing options. Example, from trust you cant print a report that looks suited to submit. The reports arent labeled what they are. Example: print of timekeepers time has no label ...this year? Last year? date range?

Response from LeanLaw

Replied February 2019

Amy, LeanLaw just released a new and updated reporting engine. This directly resolves the formatting concerns you articulated in your response. It also added a more robust and real-time revenue by attorney report. Thanks for your work and feedback.

Keith from Christina A. Ciceron, APC

User Friendly and Cost Effective

See pros above!

Pros

LeanLaw streamlined our billing process, allowing easy integration with QuickBooks. This made our entire firm more productive, from preparing readable invoices to working with bookkeepers and tax professionals in ensuring our records were accurate.

Cons

There are a few macros that continue to be tweaked by LeanLaw, which we understand is an ongoing process. We would love to see a feature where simple math calculations are performed (e.g. mileage, copies, etc.). LeanLaw has been very receptive to our ideas of making the overall product easier to navigatre.

Richard from Hunt Huey PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Leanlaw is a great deal that needs a little improvement

My overall experience has been very good. The customer support is fantastic and the product itself does just what small law firms like mine need.

Pros

Leanlaw's pricing is reasonable and it does what I need without too much fuss. It handles time tracking, new client/matter creation and monitoring of receivables in a reasonably easy to use fashion and, most important, interacts directly with QuickBooks Online in a very simple to use way.

Cons

The user interface needs some work. Trust accounting is a sub menu to Billing, but is really a distinct set of functions. The calendar feature is a good idea but doesn't relate to the actual periods of time during which a matter is being worked on. On/off switches or buttons for different matters would be helpful so that switching between matters was a little easier. Also, the ability to customize the trust reporting would be very helpful.

Response from LeanLaw

Replied February 2019

Hello Richard, you will see updates to the trust management in the next few months. It's slotted in our development schedule. High on the list is to bring trust management to the forefront of the product. In regards to your on/off switch, a matter can be archived. This will hide it from your day-to-day view but still have the data for reporting purposes. Any archived matter can easily be un-archived if a matter becomes active again.

Michael from Plummer and Farmer

LeanLaw Review

Good. Has allowed me to streamline time entry process and also review billings on a daily basis.

Pros

Ease of use. Allows me to enter and edit my time without involving support staff.

Cons

Editing of client information. Sometimes I have difficulty going back and changing client information, particularly file numbers, after entered into the system. Probably operator error.

Claire from Berreckman, Davis & Bazata PC LLO

easy to use

Pros

Cons

The app, last I checked, was not easy to use and so I have resorted to entering time back at the office or when I can get to a laptop instead of on the go.

Lance from Exceed Legal

It's in the name: LeanLaw

LeanLaw achieves its goal in providing an efficient way to keep time and bill clients. Good, relevant reporting also helps the lawyer who uses LeanLaw not only work in the business of practicing law, but also work *on* the business itself.

Pros

The user interface is very clean and intuitive in LeanLaw. Timekeeping down to 1/10 of an hour is a great feature, and the desktop app makes it very easy to do log time for various matters. LeanLaw's integration with Quickbooks is huge, as our firm never has to draft an invoice. The reporting features of LeanLaw are good, and continue to get better. It is very easy to see revenue by attorney, revenue by client matter, productivity, and accounts receivable. There is even a report to help gauge fixed-fee profitability margins.

Cons

There isn't much not to like about LeanLaw when you understand what it is for. It's lean timekeeping and billing software for the lean law firm. It will never include client portals, document storage/sharing, or other such features.

Sean from Kaufman & Associates, LLC

LeanLaw-Simply Efficient

WONDERFUL! KEEP IT UP.

Pros

Entering and keeping track of time is simple and reviewing time previously entered is manageable. LeanLaw is good at what it is intended to do, and makes my life easier.

Cons

Occasionally, the program does not load and I have to restart the webpage several times before it works.

Bill from Brunstad Law LLC

Lean Law

Very good experience. Good customer support and easy to use.

Pros

Very easy to enter time. Seamless transition for billing to Quickbooks

Cons

I wish there was a feature where you could use defined tasks for your time entries (which it does have) and then you could mine the data from those tasks for determining future fixed fee amounts. The fixed fee template is confusing, at least to me.

Carbo from Carbo Kwan Criminal Law

Perfect for sole practitioners or small firms

Very good experience. Love the quick response to support.

Pros

Ease of use but most importantly, their continuous work on improving the software and listening to the feedback. Since I've got this subscription just over a year ago, I've seen various improvements and new features.

Jordan from Litwin Law, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Simple to use and good value

Great option if you are primarily focused on billing and time entry more so than a comprehensive practice management option.

Pros

Ease of use (particularly timers), per license cost, continuing feature growth

Cons

Limited use of mobile application which does allow you to enter time for current day and open new client/matters but nothing else really.

TAYLER from TW TIBBITTS, ATTORNEY AT LAW

Good Platform

Overall it's been a great tool for my law practice.

Pros

I like the integration with Quickbooks and the ability to track my time effectively.

Cons

The Quickbooks integration is not very customizable. I've had trouble getting my trust accounting to work properly and it'd be nice to be able to customize things more on that front.

Haile from Reeve Law Firm

Over the Moon

Pros

The ease of features is my favorite thing. It is a very straight forward and easy to understand program that has been invaluable to the practice.

Cons

I wish there were check marked boxes next to time entries so one could select or deselect the entries that are wanted to export to excel spreadsheet.

Makes Quickbooks much more palatable.

Overall, very pleased with LeanLaw. Good pricing. Good customer service.

Pros

This software has two-way integration with Quickbooks. Time entry is easy. Desktop and smartphone timekeepers are very handy (when I remember to use them). Simple to open new matters or add new clients. These then populate automatically to Quickbooks. I moved from PCLaw (then a different web-based program) and looked, at all the major and minor players. This works great for me.

Cons

Quickbooks billing setup is a bit clunky. But that's as much a QB problem as LL. Not a full-blown practice manager, but I knew that going in. As a result, need to keep info in both Outlook and LL/QB. Not a huge deal since my contact list is huge and my client list is infinitesimally smaller.

Christina from Christina A. Ciceron, APC

Industry: Law Practice

Best decision our small firm has made!

Pros

This has saved us SO much time. As attorneys the only thing we have to sell is our time so having more of it to bill clients and less to spend on admin work is huge for us.

Cons

The expenses could be easier to input. I would like to se an easier way to calculate mileage.

James from Perry & Neblett, P.A.

Great product

I have had a great overall experience with Lean Law. They are very customer friendly, and have incorporated a number of our suggestions.

Pros

The program is very easy to use, and interfaces with quick books.

Cons

The program still needs a little work with trust account reporting

Simple to Use and Relatively Inexpensive

Pros

We switched over to LeanLaw after using CaseFox (which is low priced, but glitches often). We found LeanLaw to be easy to learn, onbaord, and incorporate into our daily practice.

Daniel from Unger Law

Lean Law Makes it easy

Faster & easier billing!

Pros

Very user friendly -much easier to use than other programs used in the past

Cons

Offers lots of additional L&A codes that aren't compatible with my client's invoice program

Eric from Kingsley & Kingsley

Makes billing much quicker and streamlined

Pros

Very user friendly, and amazing customer service.

Cons

The Phone application is fine but it could be more user friendly to speed up inputs.

Scott from Learned Lawyer PLLC

Streamlines our practice

I am a solo practitioner attorney with a paralegal. We used to use MyCase, but we recently stopped our subscription in favor of a la carte solutions. Our solution for billing and invoicing is LeanLaw and we both love it. It is easy to use and straightforward, and the LeanLaw folks have been very responsive to our questions or suggestions for additional features. With MyCase, getting invoices prepared and reviewed was a time-consuming issue, particularly if one of us, for example, entered a time entry against the wrong client. With LeanLaw, those issues are easily resolved with a few clicks. I've gotten compliments on our "nice, new invoices" now that we've switched to LeanLaw. They look great and the clients find them easy to use and easy to pay! Probably the best part is the streamlined accounting for trust accounting. It used to take so many steps to make sure the accounting was complete and accurate any time we touched a trust account. Now, it is simple and straightforward - a few clicks and everything is done. I would not hesitate to recommend LeanLaw to any lawyer who needs to track and invoice his or her time.

Jasmine from Southern University Law Center

Industry: Law Practice

Every Law Firm NEEDS LeanLaw!

Pros

What I like most about LeanLaw is how efficient it is! It allows me to keep my timekeeping in billing all in one easily accessible place! It is also very easy to understand and use.

Cons

There was not a single thing I disliked about LeanLaw. I believe it should be used by every law firm.

Frank from Wordes, Wilshin & Conner, LLP

Good Time and Expense Tracking

It is easier to track time and expenses than QuickBooks and imports to QuickBooks for final billing.

Pros

The interface is easy to use and it has been reliable.

Cons

The end of the month billing is a little less than intuitive. It would be easier if the software walked the user through the process a little better.

Christina from Christina A. Ciceron, APC

Industry: Law Practice

The customer support is extremely quick and efficient

Quicker attorney invoices

Pros

We are now able to produce our monthly invoices so much faster! One key feature of Lean Law is that it ACTUALLY integrates right with QuickBooks! In fact, Lean Law seems to be designed with accounting integration in mind. That's a big bonus. The reason many lawyers use billing software over Excel is because it saves time that would otherwise be spent duplicating entries in accounting software. We are now tracking our time much better and saving a great deal of time and money on the creation of our monthly invoices!

Response from LeanLaw

Replied January 2019

So happy you enjoy the software, Christina. Thanks for the review.

Mark from Mark S. Ansara , Barrister & Solicitor

A joy to use. Intuitive and incredibly user friendly!

Pros

The program comes naturally to the least computer literate user (like me!). The people behind the product are amazing. I had a number of one on one conversation with the LeanLaw people. Each and every person I communicated with were consumer oriented. Getting a live voice each and every time I called boosted my enthusiasm for LeanLaw even more.

Cons

It goes to say that nothing designed by humans is perfect but I have yet to find anything that jumps out at me at this point.

Response from LeanLaw

Replied January 2019

Mark: for sure you are not the least computer literate person who uses LeanLaw software. So glad you're enjoying it.

Doug from Chambers & Rosenbloom

LeanLaw

LeanLaw serves its main function. It would be nice if the timers worked on the app.

Pros

Pricepoint is reasonable, so good value overall.

Cons

It would be very helpful if Leanlaw had a plugin or could work with Outlook or email clients to automatically capture billing for email correspondence

Response from LeanLaw

Replied February 2019

Doug, we have plans to integrate with Office365. This will allow for time tracking relative to email and word processing activities. We appreciate the feedback and your comments will help elevate this feature in our development pathway.

Clifford from MW Law

Best practice management software going

LeanLaw is fantastic. I spent a long time doing detailed comparisons of different practice management software offerings (Clio, Practice Panther, Rocket Matter and the in-house offerings from LexisNexis, Westlaw). But LeanLaw won me over in minutes: - Its desktop time tracking tool is better than anything else I've used. It generates clean, editable dockets that look great in invoices. - Expenses are super easy to capture - Support is excellent. The LL staff are super responsive to questions and feedback. - Matter management is very simple and intuitive. - The Quickbooks incorporation is flawless - Trust accounting is solid - It's very affordable. As a newer program, there are occasional moments when I find bugs, but the LL crew is often responsive within minutes fixing it. Really impressive.

Best Software for Connecting to Quickbooks Online

The team there is very helpful and available to help clients learn the product and use it to eliminate double entry...saving a ton of time.

Pros

LeanLaw is the only software that allows a two way sync with Quickbooks Online. Meaning you can mark expenses that are billable to a client as they come across your credit card statement and LeanLaw will pick those up and add to the invoice.

Cons

I can't think of anything...it works very well.

David from D J Bird Law, P C

Leanlaw is slick

I moved my solo practice from Quickbooks to Quickbooks Online and started using Leanlaw. My time and billing is now a lot quicker, easier, and less time consuming. I have been using it for 5 months and find it easy to learn how to use, functional, and with good integration with QBO. Technical support has been knowledgeable and responsive, and the product continues to get better as more features are added. I'm particularly excited about the trust account integration that has been added recently.

Lisa from Laredo Law

Great Product!

Just started with Lean Law and so far it's been great. They are helpful when you get stuck as you are learning. The support staff was wonderful, patient and easy to go through what I needed to learn.

Pros

Easy of Use, easy to learn and great support staff!!

Cons

There is nothing so far that I don't love about this product.

Response from LeanLaw

Replied January 2019

Thanks, Lisa! So great that you feel good about the software. If you have any issues, please don't hesitate to call us.

Debbie from Debbie's Desk Accounting Services

Customer service is the best!

I've worked with many different software companies. LeanLaw is by far the most customer friendly. They have a listening ear and have made improvements within weeks of suggestion. It has been very easy to use.

Pros

Ease of use and it integrates with QuickBooks well.

Cons

invoicing appearance modification needs to be made in QuickBooks

Bill from L2S Legal, LLC

LeanLaw is proving itself a great product for my practice.

Pros

LeanLaw integrates with Quickbooks. Their customer service is wonderful: Responsive, thorough, friendly and knowledgeable. They get what it's like to practice law and have built a product around a law firm's needs. For me it's been a great way to keep and bill my time. Thank you!

Response from LeanLaw

Replied January 2019

Billing on time. That's the name of the game. Thanks for the review, Bill!

Ed from Supporting Strategies | SE Mass Cape & Islands

LeanLaw Review

Lawyers who don't need a bloated software package to manage their business will enjoy LeanLaw. Their customer service and attention to features that improve process is notable.

Pros

The software's straight-forward design and intuitive interface is great.

Cons

The company is still young and growing into the space.

Mikayla from Holmes & Young, P.A.

LeanLaw

LeanLaw has come to be our third program in an attempt to get a clean software. We are very lucky to have such customer service and ease of use.

Pros

I love that it is very functional and makes everything clear for all parties to read.

Cons

I cannot find cons with this software that they do not address.

Ceyda from Turan Law Office

Great software for Sole Practitioners

Pros

Leanlaw is very easy to learn, the demonstrative videos and the chat function make it very easy to get started in a few hours.

Cons

It is disappointing that one has to have a separate subscription for a second time keeper.

NICHOLAS from KAUFMAN & ASSOCIATES

LeanLaw Simple and Effective

Pros

The user friendly interface and the ability to navigate between clients and matters.

Cons

Sometimes it is unclear whether I am reviewing a time entry for a specific client or for all clients within the specified time period.

Graziana from The Fitzgerald Law Firm, P.C.

LeanLaw - review

Creating legal invoices with no manual workarounds.

Pros

The software is a great addition to the Quick Books system. This is a software for legal timekeeping that makes an attorney's life much easier! By linking to QuickBooks, this software brings every file and legal accounting information in sync.

Cons

Since I only tried the software for a short time, I did not find any con to list or discuss. LeanLaw is a good software.

Response from LeanLaw

Replied October 2019

Thank you Graziana, we appreciate your feedback! Even when we get good reviews, know that we are always working to make LeanLaw better.

Gonzalo from EBS Bookkeeping Services

Great application with Excellent Support

No problems

Pros

Just began exploring this app. From what I've seen it is very simple and has nice shortcuts incorporated into transactions while complying with Trust Accounting rules. Their Support is excellent and documentation is abundant. Highly recommend it. Comment Yes, I recommend this product.

Cons

Didn't find any negative issues. So far working as explained.

Christine from Rehmann

Legal billing made easy

Visibility into billing for client work, connecting both the financials and the case work , for better ratios and business analytics.

Pros

The real-time sync with QBO. This product gives all the necessary information to the attorneys without them ever logging into the financial software.

Cons

More in-depth, customization on reporting. But this will come over time.

Great app

Trust account reconciliation is super user friendly.

Pros

The cloud technology and the ability work with QBO

Cons

All good! So far so good and I really like it.

Quinton from Thompson & Associates

Trying something new

Pros

I found this product easy to learn and adapt to your practice.

Cons

The limited number of "tasks" was odd, but we were able to provide our own descriptions for our clients.