• Pros

• "It was easy to use and join! I was using it for school and it was nice to use and easy to set up. It laid out the different topics nicely and meant we were able identify and post regularly. "

• "This software is so easy to use! There is so many features that help you stay on track! I would recommend it to anyone! "

• "This was very helpful when I was in college! All of our online classes used this and it was great!"

• Cons

• "Sometimes it was a bit difficult to navigate the pages but overall fairly simple to use."

• "It’s not the easiest to use software, canvas is much easier to use, but it cost a lot of money."

• "There were connectivity issues occasionally, but for the most part no cons. "

Browse Moodle Reviews

Chamath from AdSpark.IO

The e-learning platform for 100+ students

In the beginning, I would say it's a bit harder to learn but after I read their documentation and refer some guides I become a master of Moodle. There are a good amount of helping documentations with Moodle you can find almost anything on their documentation. I’m happy to say that still our students using it daily. If you have a small budget this is a great choice. I’m very satisfied on Moodle and I can recommend for anyone those who are looking for a good LMS platform

Pros

I have used Moodle for an organization to implement an e-learning platform. I have searched for may LMS and finally, I selected Moodle because it’s open source and very customizable for our requirements. While I am using the Moodle I can list down some pros according to my experience - Moodle has Multilingual capability that allows users to use multi-language it was a great feature for me. - Manage user roles and permission, You can define roles to users and manage user access - Bulk course creation and easy to backup - Customizable or create our own themes - Very useful calendar to track course deadlines, meetings and many more - Admin user can Install and disable 3rd party plugins

Cons

Though Moodle offers many features there are some things that I don’t like much. I can list a few cons of Moodle - The learning curve is a bit higher for administration and building Moodle courses for First-time users - If you need to customize some functionalities requires a Moodle programmer - The look and feel a bit outdated even if you use a theme it feels like bit older - I faced some upgrading issues it’s not that easy for me

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Moodle is free and customizable for our needs and we can host it anywhere we want.

CLYDE EUGENE from Solusi University

Robust LMS

Overall, I would say Moodle has been great, since I have now mastered many aspects of the LMS. The first few months were painful, but it was all worth it.

Pros

Moodle is a robust LMS that we use at our university. It exceptionally manages student learning by offering the tools that educators need to teach in the 21st century. The quiz creation tools are what won me over from a competitor in this space. My reluctance to jump on board was further eased by discovering just how customisable it is. Admins can install new plugins that add extra functionality (and there are plenty of these to choose from) as well as themes that spruce up the interface (it may be necessary depending on your taste). There is also a very supportive community backing the Moodle project and the support of this community is indispensable to anyone looking to fully maximise their use of the LMS. Moodle also updates the platform ever so often, and as I write, they recently updated to Moodle 3.8 (I have work to do to update my site on v3.6).

Cons

Moodle is a beast in terms of functionality and this, unfortunately, is its biggest drawback. It is not an easy job trying to onboard new faculty members with no background in IT. It has a somewhat steepish learning curve that can certainly be tackled but not without exerting some effort and patience. The UI is also not as inspiring. I am glad that recent updates have really modernised the look and feel of the LMS but other competitors excel in offering an intuitive out-of-the-box experience. This can be easily overcome by theming the LMS and Moodle has done well in allowing this though it needs an experienced professional to do this.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

The technical expertise that Moodle requires was already available. At the time, Moodle also had more documentation to support it hence it was a no-brainer.

Dung from GreenViet Consultancy Company Limited

Moodle.metropolia.fi

During my 4 years studying at university, I used Moodle almost everyday (including website and mobile app) for studying. Study documentation could be downloaded, finished asssignment could be uploaded, and information concerning my study or job opportunities could be found from Moodle. In general, it's totally worth to use this app, especially in education purposes such as my case.

Pros

Moodle allowed me to access for learning, downloading, uploading my study documentation all the time.

Cons

Sometimes there is bug/lag problems while using but they mostly come from my university website due to its massive amount of information and documents.

Moodle E-Learning Software Overall Review

So far, my colleague developers and I are excited about Moodle. We're currently customizing it (creating courses, students, faculty members, enrolling students in their courses, branding, carrying out training for both faculty and students) to suit our University's standard as we will deploy it for our students this academic year 2019/2020.

Pros

- It's built with the common language PHP and MySQL which makes it easy to customize (by Developers) - It has so many detailed features built-in, such as setting the date a course will begin and end, methods for learners to enroll in a course, the timezone of the learner, and more features. - Many plugins (such as video LiveStreaming, quiz modules, assignment modules) are present which provides even more features to the software. - It has detailed documentation for Developers and General users on how to carry out functions on the software. - Moodle is so far one of the best e-learning software which fosters the distant learning culture and is so helpful to learners for example in areas with a socio-political crisis.

Cons

- A fee is required for any least additional functionality the client wants to be added on Moodle. - The codebase is so hard to understand especially for non-Moodle Developers hence making it difficult to customize Moodle by yourself or team developers if they are not an expert. - Moodle is strictly course-based, making it hard to integrate and synchronize with say, a platform already built and used by a school, in this case, our University. - Email sent by the Moodle system to users always land in their spam/junk folder or doesn't even get sent at all.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

- With Moodle, there is full control of data as the information (files and user data) is found on our website / VPS Hosting account, compared to Google Classroom whereby all information is stored in Google's servers. - Hence with Moodle, there's more data privacy.

Youssef from WonderEight

The best Learning Management

I've been using moodle since my university years. My graduation project , 14 years ago, was to implement and customize moodle. Since then I implemented it for 3 universities and still managing it

Pros

It's free and open source and has a great community to support you

Cons

You will face a lot of issues if you are trying to setup moodle on a windows server

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

free, open source, had the features we needed and a large support community

Nipuna from SriLankan Airlines Official

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Students + Teachers = Smart Education

As a Teacher/Instructor, I really interested to use this platform. It improved my efficiency in educational works.

Pros

Easy and user-friendly user interface allowed to navigate through course works and related data easily. Easy to setup as a instructor and can connect with students and update them easily.

Cons

Mobile app is sometimes not working properly with some devices.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Google classroom is not much capable with higher education.

Tony from Corvallis School District

Great, free course management system.

Overall we have had a good experience as we have been able to utilize it with our students who might otherwise struggle in a typical classroom.

Pros

The price (free) is a great start. It gives us all the features we really need in our online courses.

Cons

The upgrades are not always as easy as one would hope. If upgrading major versions, sometimes there are other upgrades to consider (PHP, IIS/Apache, MySQL, etc).

Stiliyan from SoftUni

Wasting time

I was trying to communicate and navigate other colleagues/teammates but the service is horrible and I don't recommend it at all.

Pros

The way it looks like Microsoft teams but more badly...

Cons

Moodle is like a service trying to be like Microsoft Teams... but it's not! Most of these trying-to-be-like services have spots in misunderstanding and disability. The UX design is pretty bad. Most of the assignments you will try posting are not going to be sent. The site has usually around 2 days/week maintenance or server workload.

Tigran from Acba Credit Agricole Bank

Review for Moodle

Moodle is a main source that is used in my university(I am doing my Masters and working at the same time). It helps me to submit my homework and track deadlines. Although I am very good at using Moodle now, it took me a long time to get used to it.

Pros

First it is free source for students, so you do not pay anything. Second you can enroll for different types of classes just using enrollment key and this is very convenient. Besides Moodle shows you the deadline for different assignments and you can submit your university homework by using Moodle, which is very practical and easy. Also it allows you to track your GPA for each course, that you too before. Moodle recently added a group chat function, and this might be a great tool for team projects.

Cons

It is very slow. Sometimes it takes more that 1 minute in order to upload 1 Word file. This is quite embarrassing. Also it sometimes have serious technical issues and students do not have access to Moodle. Also, the interface of Moodle is not well designed and it took me a while to become familiar with it.

Heather from Estes Therapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Decent Online Class Document Sharing System

Overall, Moodle is a pretty good attempt to have an online classroom management system.

Pros

I appreciate that Moodle is a way for professors to share documents with the entire class, students can turn in materials, and professors can manage grading.

Cons

Parts of Moodle feel really clunky both from the student perspective and from the teacher perspective. Editing can feel clunky from the teacher perspective and set-up of a class takes a very long time.

Dianne from InTouch24-7

Superb solution but difficult to set up

I consult to clients who have tried to implement Moodle and recognise it's value but are struggling to get a practical, organised system. There are human issues of acceptance and the system isn't used, or the opposite where they have "created a monster" that is unwieldy. Once the system is structured correctly, and staff are trained in the right way to get the most benefit, it is always beneficial. Expensive paid systems force the client management team to go through a formal process of implementation including culture and planning, but a free system is often simply installed without strategy planning about how it is going to be used.

Pros

Moodle is opensource, and therefore inexpensive and low risk to test. If a company is considering eLearning, this should be your first option as a pilot. No pre-planning is as good as actual experience. The difficulty does not lie with the software, but that an eLearning system is a complex activity and is expected to meet the needs of very different users - different education levels, different technology capabilities and with different learning methods. Moodle shows if your company is ready for eLearning, and quickly gets you up and running. A lot of older training materials are in PDF, powerpoint and other formats, and Moodle allows "drag-and-drop" and importing of zip files or SCORM files.

Cons

This is difficult to set up, particularly if you want to make use of the assessments. You need to define your users and your strategy up front or it can become a muddle with different departments adding "courses". In a way it is almost TOO is easy to use, and individual departments create a "course" and add new categories, and dump hundreds of file with no categorisation. Most Moodle systems will need to be reorganised and "cleaned up" regularly if allowed to grow organically.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Both were expensive. iSpring is amazing for creating SCORM courses for Moodle, but I don't recommend an cloud-based LMS. The clients I work with worry about the security of a cloud-based solution and want files and data in house. Docebo was too simple and didn't have the functionality clients needed.

Michael from Canberra Grammar School

The ultimate toolbox for educators

I have been involved with Moodle for many years as a user, administrator and developer. Be careful about the hype you hear from commercial vendors, they will often understate the prevalence of Moodle around the world, which dwarfs other systems many times. The community involved with this product have a common aim: to help educators; money is rarely their driver.

Pros

Moodle is, hands-down, the most functional and malleable learning management system available. Moodle can do everything we want it to do.

Cons

Sometimes you have to reduce functionality to make it useful for some people. It is possible to turn off features to achieve that.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

In a blind test at my current institution, Moodle was favoured by users over other systems. It won out in terms of features and flexibility. It just works.

Aman from University of Massachusetts

Moodle up the way

Overall experience with google is under satisfactory as compared to Blackboard and Canvas. It is the least help application I have ever used.

Pros

The software is an online education learning module software. It is mostly used by universities and other educational institutes. Overall the software is very decent, it offers a variety of features, plagiarism checker, and other variety of features. It does not have any option of predicting grade which is offered by Canvas. As a T.A. I would as it is a decent software but there are better softwares than moodle.

Cons

The software does not have a fully functional mobile appliation which is offered by Blackboard and Canvas which are other learning management systems. Moodle is also sluggish and courses appear later and from time to time there are bugs in the application.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Our organization chose Moodle.

A complete solution for blended learning!

I have implemented Moodle LMS for many industries including Colleges, Universities, Manufacturing, Retail, Career Development Centers, Online Training institutions, Information, Media & Entertainment industries. Except the product is an open-source, I do not see ANY issues. This can be hosted in Amazon Web Services or in Azure cloud, it can be hosted in client environment. Moodle can be integrated with any 3rd party (both inbound and outbound) applications as long as their APIs are exposed. This has lot of in-built plugins/tools to manage ILT Events and Sessions, Chats, Virtual Learning Environment tools, etc. I highly recommend this low-cost solution for any type of industry.

Pros

Moodle is a complete e-Learning platform for many industries. It is well-suited for Education Industry. I have implemented Moodle in the large universities and colleges in the world. Most inspiring features are - the course section which can be grouped based on customized categories and sub-categories - forum which can be associated with the topics at course level or at organization level - Cohort which helps the institute to manage the batch-wise students group every year and can be promoted to next level without much manual efforts - Question Bank which can accommodate more than 12 types of assessments and can also be integrated with other assessment management systems or plugins

Cons

There is no limitation on the features, since this is an open source application, we cannot use it for GxP contents in Life Sciences and may not comply with Banking/Insurance industries.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Low-cost, highly flexible, scalable, robust, technical compatibility, user-friendly, no license cost

An easy and practical virtual way for distance education

Moodle, allows to offer an exchange space in activities for learning, these can be online or as a support for content management without using the web interface, also through the platform you can create private forums to stimulate discussions online or used as the main interface to perform exams and assessments.

Pros

This tool is also designed in free software is a multimedia program that explores the way to generate virtual ways of quality distance education through its virtual environments, the tool is one of the most used for this type of tasks or activities one of its positive elements is in creating private virtual environments where a group of students with their teacher interact online, which after defining the role of administrator capable of creating subjects and administrator, with the role of teacher with permission or without permissions allows to generate the educational base necessary to fulfill a course. Another positive aspect is the ease of making or creating questionnaires by subjects to facilitate the teaching-learning process and the different evaluative uses necessary to assess the student's progress.

Cons

The tool presents standardized content which prevents differentiating the treatment between advanced and regular students, as well as presenting differentiated content since when the group is created a signature and the access role all share the information according to the profile held by the participants, as to the interface this is not very friendly with the students since it does not have an iconography that facilitates the identification of the different options besides the menus are not intuitive that does not generate a pattern of habit on the actions within the program. layout is similar to a normal blog something that in my opinion could be improved to take more advantage of the online application.

Flexible for designers, teachers and students

Pros

As an online learning designer, Moodle is a fantastic tool because it integrates multiple options for learning and collaboration between both on and off campus students. It is incredibly flexible with a plethora of both simple and advanced features which can be integrated at a teacher’s preference, and the entire teaching experience can be run through the system. It’s agile enough to integrate with multiple external software systems so is less restrictive than some LMS systems. The interface can be configured to suit individual institutions or teaching and allows a teacher to monitor all activity. As a course designer, Moodle Analytics are extremely valuable because I can see exactly what parts of the course are being accessed, how often, and if they are being completed. This allows me to know if individual components of the course are beneficial to learning or if it needs changing or replacing, without the risk of violating student or institution privacy. When working for an institution that is a Moodle partner, I like the opportunity to help shape Moodle’s future by offering submissions direct to the designers.

Cons

Whenever updates for Moodle are released (six monthly) there are always some problems with existing content, especially with non-standard features that have been designed exclusively for a course or institution. Sometimes they are not immediately evident and can cause issues during the teaching period. Moodle is a very large, powerful system, so it can take considerable time to understand it well enough to be confident designing and teaching courses. Also, if support staff are not on hand it can be difficult to resolve issues or find ways to integrate special requests from teachers.

Moodle has been one of the best tools I have ever implemented in my high school courses!

I think I stated most if not all the benefits in the "pro" section. It's a great time saver once courses are set up. I can see the stats on my students' involvement with the various parts of it. I can cut down paper work by having files submitted electronically. I can use rubrics of my own design to quickly grade programming assignments I can mark up PDF submissions on the screen to give feedback. I can moderate discussions and teach students how to speak in a forum setting. I can provide more opportunities for students to think and produce more creatively. I can enjoy creating my own materials!

Pros

Moodle allows me to provided a blended learning environment for my students. I use it for AP Statistics, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, and Integrated Math 1. I can post assignment schedules, additional readings, links to off-site materials, etc. just as I did in my web pages in the past. However, it also allows me to assign "lessons" that my students do interactively online, discussion boards where they have to write their thoughts coherently, and assignments where students upload files for me to review and grade. It has become an important communication tool for me to use with both students and parents outside school hours. No student can say they forgot their book at school or don't remember the assignment because texts and assignments are online in Moodle. Parents can see what their students are doing in my class academically and not just the grades they receive. Moodle has become more important to my teaching than the textbook. All resources can be found in one place and students can interact with the materials, each other, and me in class and outside class. We have even implemented a computer lab and device reservation system for teachers in Moodle which has saved our librarians a ton of hours of work each week.

Cons

Moodle is not intuitive to the novice. It took some time for me to learn how to use its many features and implement them well. I have been doing this for at least 8 years, but I am still learning more about the system and its capabilities. As the server administrator, doing upgrades has always been problematic. I don't think an upgrade has ever gone smoothly. The reason I stick with it is because I haven't found a LMS that can offer me as much as Moodle. Plus, it's free and we can run it in-house.

Vashi from University of Mauritius

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Moodle as a student and administrator

There is not really any cons about Moodle. It is a highly satisfying product that is worth a try.

Pros

First: It is free! As a student: it has easy navigation, provides a dashboard with all the related courses currently enrolled, it has a calendar on the right highlighting all the upcoming submission dates. It also notifies us about the upcoming events the lecture has set. All the information are arranged in a neat format. It shows the online users. It has portfolio option, makes it easy to keep track of all our works. It also has email facilities so we can email other users. As an administrator: There is so many features incorporated in Moodle! The teacher has the power to design the moodle course in however way they want: It integrates SCORM packages, documents, videos, links, quiz, different grading systems (average/individual) and the grade history of the students on the platform. The teacher also has the flexibility to program when to make one lesson visible (by presetting the time and date), when to close assignment submission past deadline automatically, or to create specific forums and events. One can use moodle to run a class or to act as a learning repertoire. There is also the option to add a chat room for a particular lesson. What I also appreciate is the feature to monitor course participation and activity log report of students. By including keys to the lessons, we can control who we give access to the contents on the forum. Thus it can either be open contents or private. The power lies in the hands of the administrator.

Cons

The chat feature should be an in-built feature rather than a pop-out screen available only when the administrator adds it as part of a lesson.

Pamela from American Library Association

Moodle LMS - Administrator and Trainer Point of View

Pros

There are lots and lots of resources for help. Almost every page on the Moodle site has a link at the bottom of it taking you to the specific documentation of what you are working with. Moodle has a huge community of worldwide users that are extremely responsive to user forums, so help is literally a couple of clicks away. Moodle is easy to figure out, even if you have never used and LMS. The site I currently administrate is at http://classes.ala.org. As you land on the homepage, you will see the list of our different divisions who offer online courses. We do this using the categories feature, allowing each of our separate divisions to be represented on the single ALA site. What you might also notice is that the login for the site is a convenient eyebrow link. If you click it, there are a variety of options for setting up your own guest credentials in addition to signing in with your official credentials granted by one of the administrators. Most user issues are simple to troubleshoot. Moodle's no nonsense layout and intuitive interaction makes it pretty straightforward to figure out user issues. Error messages tell you specifically what a problem is in plain English (or whatever language you want to set up). Most user problems are rights related in the system. Moodle allows you to restore previous courses into new courses. The backup and restore feature pretty much does everything for you. Take out the user data from a backup and you can restore the previous version of a course into a brand new course with very little downtime.

Cons

Version 1.9 requires an older version of Java running in order to use the wysiwyg html editor (something that comes in handy for the introduction to the course and each section/Topic for the course) -- a version of Java is required, that if you are on Windows 7, has security issues that your Network Admin is probably blocking. The workaround not having an html editor is to open your web content editor (we have Drupal and Dreamweaver) and then paste the code into the setting fields. It is not difficult to do, just inconvenient. I am sure the current version 2.6 has this capability and more that we are waiting to upgrade to. You have to dig a bit to get to the settings and permissions for specific activities. For example, a common user issue is with Student access to a forum. It is not obvious that some forums are specifically for teacher announcements (meaning that students aren't able to respond, just read the announcements). By the time I get issue, the course creator has a dozen or so forums setup with participants already subscribed, which means that it is easier for me to go into each forum and override the native rights. When you have scores of courses running each containing a dozen or more forums that each need to have permissions touched, it is a lot of work from the admin point of view. The lighter side is that with the proper training, or sandbox playing, creators can discover this nuance before its' too late. The native chat activity doesn't really work in version 1.9. We use FlashChat by Host123 when our course leaders need a course chat room. In version 1.9, there is not a lot of wiggle room in changing the look and feel of the courses. You can add, subtract and move blocks around, you can assign a theme, but it is not the most modern look and feel.

Candace from Student

My school has used Moodle for as long as I can remember, and it works well within our district!

Using Moodle has been--and continues to be--incredibly convenient for students and teachers alike in my district. Teachers can easily create online tests/quizzes that don't require the hassle of printing and making copies, then grading an entire stack of papers. Students can take the tests and quizzes with ease, and see the immediate results of the automatically-graded multiple choice questions (which saves teachers time, too!). Also, videos can be implanted into lessons, which is very convenient for pausing or rewinding at one's own pace if they zone out or don't understand the topic and need to hear the explanation again. My life as a student was made simpler with the use of Moodle, and I cannot recommend it enough!

Pros

Moodle makes online classwork incredibly easy to create (as a teacher), as well as simple to do and turn in (as a student). All the classes a student is enrolled in are clearly displayed, and classwork within each class is organized well. In addition, being able to immediately see how one did on a quiz/test (the multiple choice, at least) is very convenient.

Cons

When posting in a discussion/forum (my teachers called them "journal entries"), all students can see each other's responses. While this could be good for class discussion, it also makes it incredibly easy for a student to see another student's response, then copy and paste it as their own. (This happened with myself and another student, as she was copying my responses.) In smaller classrooms, this may not be much of an issue as it will be easy to spot, but in larger class sizes it can be easy for teachers to not remember every student's exact answer, and give the cheater the credit.

Eduardo from The Six-Year Kugel High School in Holon, Israel

Eduardo Lina: My review of Moodle

Excellent. I have used Moodle to teach High School pupils ever since I was first exposed to it in 2013. I have supported my teaching of both English and Spanish as Foreign Languages at school. In addition, I have used Moodle to develop and facilitate several workshops: "How to use Moodle...Workshops" in both English and Spanish aimed at colleagues in Israel, workshops on PBL in English, Spanish and Hebrew, and more.

Pros

I find this Learning Management System to be suitable for Blended Learning (That is, using it to support Face to Face my teaching). It is also very useful for teaching my High School pupils fully online. I find it easy to create, upload and organize learning content the way that best suits my needs as a teacher.

Cons

As far as Israel, the country where I live and teach is concerned, I find a problem in the fact that Moodle (the company) has NOT managed to (or perhaps, NOT tried enough) to convince teachers that it is the best alternative available as an LMS. While Moodle has been adopted bt the Israel Ministry of Education as its LMS, this has not been adopted by lots of teachers in the field yet. This is, of course, not a problem with the software itself, but a problem of image and the effort invested. Moodle has recently appointed a Moodle Partner in Israel. I guess this is one task that this partner might take up. As a Moodle enthusiast, I wish this Partner success.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

I did not purchase moodle. I am glad, however, that The Ministry of Education and "Mashov", which provides schools with Moodle Platforms, have done so.

Mitchell from Lee University Adult Learning

Moodle from a Helpdesk Perspective

Pros

I have been supporting faculty and students for over four years on Moodle. One of the best features is the friendliness of the LMS environment. It is fairly easy to take an adult learner with minimal online experience from the login page to submitting assignments. The second aspect on my scale is usability. The LMS is simple enough to learn without a manual. To learn some of the advanced features may take sometime to discover unless you are utilizing the user guide and then it becomes a jumping point to enhance a course even more. Working and playing with the environment with a "seek and find" approach provides a great foundation for supporting various clients. My institution uses the hosted environment, Moodlerooms. It is a great time and budget saver as we really cannot afford a full-time position and pay what should be paid to an individual and expect the environment to be up 99%+ and 24x7. One other advantage is planned updates every 6 months. Moodlerooms is typically one version behind which gives the Moodle community time to finish shaking out all the bugs.

Cons

The one thing I dislike about the vendor is the minimal number of add-in modules provided to the institutions. There are numerous add-ins out in the Moodle user world that could be an asset to our students but are not there because of the locked down environment provided by Moodlerooms.

MARIA RENEE from Virtual University of Uganda

Moodle helping e-learning

Moodle is a very useful platform for e-learning. It has everything to teach online. I can recognize 3 levels of users for this software. - The administrator who is in charge to set up the environment and moodle experience for other users. - The teacher who is going to use tools to make an online course exciting, and - The student that will enjoy the course and participate in it though the collaborative tools. If you can do the work of the 2 first levels, congratulations, you are a Moodle expert.

Pros

- You can manage a whole school or university in the academic area with Moodle and for the administrative help you have a big list of choices to get plugins or ERPs compatible with Moodle. - If you know how to use it is a wonderful experience for the teachers and students. - Once that you have the course online, it is a beautiful tool. - There is a lot of documentation and forums about Moodle that can help you to solve almost every issue that you will face using it.

Cons

- It's a free software but is difficult to install and maintain for a person who is not related with IT. So a good option is get it as a SaaS (software as a Service) paying for hosting and upgrades but having the experts doing it, so you can focus in the academic area. - You have to learn how to use it properly and it takes time. - Prepare a course is heavy and a hard work, there are some functionalities that could help us to do it easier, like be capable us to erase or move multiple objects at the same time.

Good for students

I have used it for years to upload assignments and track my grades. I like the instant feedback of grades if the professors are prompt in grading.

Pros

I like that I can track my grades, submit assignments in the drop boxes and take quizzes. this is a good program for keeping track of assignments weekly. I like the check box feature which allows me to check off files I have viewed or quizzes I have completed which allows me to not keep clicking on powerpoint files I have already downloaded.

Cons

I dislike how if you have an administrator of the page such as a professor who is not savvy with technology or does not keep up with the moodle page, it looks like you have a bad grade if certain things aren't entered correctly or if they haven't corrected things. It also has limitations of any online platform where the administrator doesn't make the file or quiz visible and then they have a hard time seeing why the students havent done the assignment. I only used canvas briefly, but I think it was slightly better in its ease of use, but I am not very familiar with moodle so it is hard to compare ease of use from the student prospective. The alerts and messaging system is a little clunky and I prefer to use email instead. you have to change your preferences or you will get way too many email notifications every time someone comments on a massive discussion post.

Larry from Crowley's Ridge College

I built the server, installed the software and moodle runs flawless for many years.

Its Free, powerful and user friendly. It constantly get updates and improvements.

Pros

When installed on a good server and once it is setup, then leave it alone and it will run flawless. I update moodle every 6 months for security and feature improvements. It has not ever crashed on me. You have to follow the installation instructions exactly. Always create backups. I use supermicro motherboards with xeon processors and lots of ram. We have a little over 200 college students and they like using it. Some teachers say that Blackboard might have a few more features. Moodle is free and can do anthing we want. The only extra apps we install in moodle is the attendance and collapsed topics. No problems with these. We mainly use the default settings on the server install and also on moodle. We use one of the skins that come with it. We have one person that creates the classes each semester and helps the teachers if they need it. Once your classes are setup, you can copy them over for the next semester.

Cons

None that we have. Basically stick with the basic setup. Do as little experimenting as possible with different addons. Then just let it run. Ours only goes down when I install updates or a large power outtage.

From a Teaching Assistant point of view

Personally I really enjoy Moodle because it eliminates a lot of the excuses that students made in the past (losing papers, not writing stuff down). We provide them with the material and they are responsible for it. It also allows us to encourage discussion that we can then see the result of, allowing us to monitor how well students are understanding the course material.

Pros

I used Moodle from a TA point of view for university level courses. I liked it because I was able to upload powerpoint presentations, documents and other handouts for students to download on their own. This made material distribution easier because students can't lose handouts. Further, I like that students are able to refer to notes that are prepared by me, allowing them to pay more attention in the classroom, rather than madly writing everything down. Further, it allows students to interact with each other through discussion forums where they can ask questions to one another or have discussions about class content. I can monitor these and step in if students need a nudge in the right direction.

Cons

Moodle takes a bit of time to learn from the user/student perspective. They need to spend some time playing with it to figure out what tools are available and how to access different areas.

Moodle Makes Students Life to be Easier Than ever

I actually love the functions of this Moodle. It provides the best features for students to learn and review their lectures. Furthermore, it associates with other learning tools on its website. I strongly recommend students should use Moodle to improve their grades.

Pros

Using moodle will give you better control in your studying. I have a fantastic experience during my school year at York University with amazing management software as Moodle. It helped us organize folders in each course section, so you can find your course faster. Also, the appearance is straightforward to see. Especially, whenever the course in the progress meets the end, the course folder will be automatically put into the past section. It is really fancy. Moreover, every lecture of the course will be posted on Moodle before the class started. Students can access to read ahead of the lecture which giving them more information and understanding about the lecture of the day.

Cons

So far, I could not find any errors with Moodle after giving me a great impression with its neat and organized; except, there was one that causes annoying me which Moodle usually update its version, so I cannot access at the important time that I want to log in to Moodle.

Umaash from North Carolina State University

Moodle Review

Pros

From the view of a student, Moodle is an excellent way to find class materials such as lectures, notes, homeworks, practice tests, and other forms in an easily accessible way. Within specific classes, the materials are often organized by date making it easy to find what you're looking for. The software also displays grades and can help you keep track of class progress. Additionally, online homework can be submitted through the website, minimizing the amount of different softwares students need to download per class. From the point of view of a teaching assistant, Moodle is user friendly when entering grades for individual assignments. Graders can comment on a student's performance which is helpful and the grading page is easy to navigate and straight forward.

Cons

When participating in forums through Moodle, there were sometimes issues viewing other students' posts or writing posts yourself. Additionally, the website is only as useful as the professor makes it, so without professor involvement, many of the site's features are not utilized. Additionally, the mobile version of the software could be improved for better ease of use.

Joshua from First Presbyterian Day School

Moodle has been a game changer in organizing, delivering content, and facilitating learning

Great features at low cost!

Pros

I've been using Moodle for 6 years in my practice as an educator. It has been a total game changer for me in organizing units/resources/assignments, assessment, and making it possible to teach effectively in a 1 to 1 environment. From facilitating online forums to creating end of term assessments, Moodle has made it easy to move the classroom into the 21st century through an intuitive, customizable, and easy to master, open source platform. I've used blackboard, desire2learn, and sampled other online class formats, but Moodle is easily the most cost effective and offers similar capabilities. There really is not much you can't do in terms of managing curriculum and assignments in moodle.

Cons

The one con of Moodle is feedback and creating assessments. While these features are possible and I do use them, I often have found other programs which do this better. However, they also cost considerably more which is something to consider. While some of the ease of use is lacking in moodle, and certain features can be a headache, I feel the benefits often outweigh other programs which do similar things at higher cost.

Virtual Aula, with some limitations

Pros

I'm preparing a virtual aula for my students, and after looking for a while for different options, I decided to use Moodle, The main reason is that it offers almost everything that I need for my classes while its use is totally free. You can create multiple kinds of accounts for different purposes, such as the administrator role, teacher role or student role. Each of them can only access a limited number of options. Also, the variety of activities that can be included are more than enough to cover all the needs your students may have: from filling gaps to sending their own writings. Each student is given a personal account where they can keep record of their progress and contact their teacher privately.

Cons

What I like less about it is that it is not intuitive at all, you will need to either hire a professional or dedicate long hours to figure out how it works. On the positive side, it is a very popular software, and therefore you will find a lot of tutorials and help online. You cannot rely a lot on its official customer service as they seem to have a lot of users it is not very easy to contact them.

Brayan Agostinho from SOAINT

good web portal oriented to distance education where you can educate and learn from home or work

Pros

Moodle is a good web education portal, where students can study and learn from home, work and much more ... Moodle adds a large number of educational administrators where students can participate in a group or alone. among them we have: glossaries, lessons and it allows us to buy files like word, excel, pdf .... It also includes a tool where tutors can share and add information on the website so that students can interact with it. It also adds a chat function, both group and individual.

Cons

Moodle should integrate tools such as: video chat, real-time chats and a wider integration of files such as videos and audios. At the time of uploading a file we also find the problem that should not be very heavy in terms of memory. since we have a limited amount of megabits (MB) to upload a file depends on the activity that is developed. Moodle should also improve its interface and make it more comfortable for the user, it can be a bit difficult to use for some users. Moodle continues to grow and I hope it will improve all your problems as several universities have adapted their service to teach distance learning.

Kenatu from TPDCo

Swiss Army Knife

I can say that as a free lance ID I love this platform. Its open source and It has a lot of support. so much so that there are hundreds of plugins developed by third parties that make it a match for more commerically branded LMSes on the market. When I say support, I mean the community, there is no 24-7 support but there are so many users out there that any problem you may have has already happened to someone else and there is a solution just waiting in the right forum. I do work in Camtasia and Movavi and I have not had any trouble getting my content to function within moodle. This along with Articulate Soryline and Rise is my swiss army knife to tackle any e-learning project.

Pros

Easy to use More than hafl the cost of other platforms Hundreds of Plug-ins No problems with my own video content

Cons

Requires more than average techy know how. I really don't see this as a con but it is what it is. I believe tech knowledge is a requirement for every modern day educator, instructor, movitar, life coach or whatever you may call yourself. the level of tech expertise required should be required for everyone. The simple UI is a plus for me but can be also considered a con. however moodle is so customizable you can deal with that too

Moodle: A must tool for every undergraduate

It is a great tool which connects everyone even outside the study room. It is a great tool for evaluate our self and easily track and evaluate ourself. Highly recommended tool for the students.

Pros

I'm a Moodle user during my University life(2014-2018) and it’s a simple and useful tool for everyone. Normally every lecturer uploads learning materials through moodle and it's really helpful for everyone. It allows us to up-to-date with each module and lecturers also can tack the students that how often connected with their modules. Its completely free to use and there is a mobile application available which is easy to use. We also can upload and submit our assignments, quizzes & projects and it helps to track our process day-to-day. It's also a major communication tool between lecturer and student and it is a professional way to communicate.

Cons

Most of the people don know the actual purpose of LMS and it needs more advertising to attract newbies. Need some UI improvements to easy to use. Sometimes the page is laggy during upload and we need improvements in this department as well.

Enrrique from CANTV

One of the best applications for instructors.

Have at hand an educational application that allows me to prepare courses and complete classes for work groups or students, where I can evaluate them and keep track of each class or team, knowing what are the strengths and weaknesses to improve the group every day.

Pros

Every professional of the instruction that has knowledge of the technologies of learning to used moodle, is par excellence one of the favorites to the hour of teaching, be it at university or professional level, this application is very flexible and complete, it allows you to create courses, evaluations, create forums, classes, upload videos and more, much more, when you need to prepare new staff or improve the resources you already have, you can always count on moodle for this task, plus it's free, but, you will need a development team to customize to suit your company.

Cons

Maybe the wide application can hinder the development for a specific task, or if you want a simple course, it can take a long time to customize for a small session where example you just need a course or evaluate something, maybe in these cases is better another option.

The best software for students and teacher for education

I have been using Moodle in the University for almost 4 years. And it is just an incredible way of submitting projects, communicating with professors and other students.

Pros

Moodle is the best software for learning both on and off campus. The applications is full of unique features allowing teachers and professors to adjust the system to their preferred way of education. Instructors are able to run the whole teaching experience through the software and to monitor the activities of their students. I am a student who has been using the software for about 4 years and it is the easiest and most convenient way of submitting my projects and checking the deadlines of the submissions. The Moodle also provides an easy way to communicate with your professors, and the forum system is an incredible way for starting discussions with other students of the same course. Using Moodle is also very convenient when it comes to resources as professors can easily share all the required materials with students.

Cons

As a student I don't have any complains concerning the Moodle.

Jennifer from California State University

Moodle is great for course materials and management

Moodle feels modernized and is user friendly as a course management tool from both the teacher and student viewpoints. I highly recommend it over the commonly used Blackboard which I previously used for 8 years.

Pros

Moodle is very user friendly and has an aesthetically pleasing interface. You can easily navigate between courses and sections of the same course. Assignments, grades, solutions, and other course information is easily input and uploaded to the system and viewed by students.

Cons

It frequently has outages for maintenance and upgrades. Although these are planned in advance and during times of low usage, it would be nice to use software that is reliable 24/7 for that student who needs to upload an assignment at the last minute.

Useful backbone to online learning offerings

Our University uses Moodle at the heart of our distance learning program. Alongside a few other initiatives I think it has improved the experience of distance students markedly and I think that as it develops further, Moodle has the potential to offer even more to these students.

Pros

Moodle requires very little technical knowledge to get something up and running and then, if you have a little skill in that area, it can accommodate that to allow for a little shine to be added to an offering. This means that one of the key drives to using it, blended teaching offerings, is actually achievable and easily so for a range of teaching staff.

Cons

While it enriches distance learning offerings, the simplicity of moodle (such as an abundance of drag and drop implementation) does also bring its own set of quirks. It can be a little clunky and resources intensive on old servers and while it provides a lot of advanced features to complement the simplicity they are not always immediately obvious and sometimes not particularly well labelled. Some of this is down to the technical staff that customise and implement the offering but that is perhaps the drawback. That Moodle is so flexible and customisable that one offering of it may look and feel very different to another.

James from Technology intelligence Agency

Handy, free option for learning.

It’s hard to find something bad to say about this program. After all, you’re getting so many features that other programs charge you to use. However, my experience with the lagging was frustrating, especially since I was on a deadline. If it had been only a little worse, I could have missed the deadline. Granted, while this was annoying, I have to remind myself that it is free to use. Can’t really complain.

Pros

Well, first off, it’s free! When price is important, especially for smaller schools and companies, free is always a good thing. The amount of features that Moodle has is one of the things that drew us to it in the first place. It has many features that even pay-to-use programs don’t have. It’s also so easy to use, which makes teaching new people how to use it a breeze. I like how grades can easily be uploaded and viewed. Courses are also very easy to update, with the ability to upload lecture notes, powerpoints, and tests. Very much worth the “cost.”

Cons

The program is very basic UI-wise. It could do with a little more flair, user-wise. It would also be handy to customize the pages based on courses. It would also be good to have the program email a person when they receive a message. Otherwise, it could be days before you get a message, depending on how often you log in. Also, even though it is easy to use, it is often laggy. This is frustrating, especially if you’re trying to complete a test or quiz by a certain time.

ELY from supacademia.com

Excellent !

As e-learning consultant I provide support to international organizations. I can say, without any doubt, that Moodle, has almost no equivalent as open source LMS and this on efficiency and added value levels. I recommend it for all kind of online training (professional and academic). Great software for no penny and with many advantages.

Pros

open source philosophy wide support Community updates on time free plugins and themes total integration of the official Moodle website plugins area to owners Moodle websites (direct installation through login interface) )

Cons

Need training to master the site admin interface. But guidelines are online available. The very frequent updated versions provided by the official website can lead to frequent upgrades (not easy to perform for novice mainly for running website). But latest version can be used for longtime without fundamentals upgrading (outside security concerns) mainly from the 2.x and 3.x versions. Anyway those who are familiar with git (repositories) can do upgrades and planning all upgrading jobs efficiently.

Joseph from Everyday California

Industry: Maritime

Student View On Moodle

Overall it has been very useful in keeping tasks organized and efficient. Online quizzes provide instant results for students and estimates for keeping track on overall course projects. The software does need to be configured properly to be best used

Pros

Online resource for organizing course work for students and allows for collaboration between students amongst themselves and professor contact information. Work assignments, test and quizzes can all be posted for students to complete and displays a GPA for the course for the work completed on Moodle. Useful to keep on track on assignments and helps keep students accountable for the work required to pass a course

Cons

I never seen the administrator / professor's side, but It looks like it needs a decent set of technical knowledge to configure and implement. Often there is misalignment with Moodle tasks and actual tasks. Although this is no fault to Moodle, but professors are often specialized in a trade and not the best for software deployment. Universities should have a staff dedicated towards training and usage on this software.

Open Source solution for educational platforms

Pros

Moodle is easy to use and is open-source, and has a wide array of functionalities. Personally, it's been used in a university setting, making publication of class schedules and materials easy and painless. There are multiple options where you can set up quizzes, polls, message boards, etc., and it's very user friendly. Everything is cloud-based, minimizing the potential for loss of data and documents, and you can set up multiple users. Many universities seem to be trending towards this software due to its ease of use, positive user reviews, and cost-effectiveness. You can easily manage educational platforms for hundreds if not thousands of users, and you can see the statistical benefit easily. Educators can develop dynamic and personalized course material easily and get immediate feedback. This seems to be the solution for many universities in this technology-driven age.

Cons

The setup can be very administrator-dependent, so it may look unappealing if less effort is put into it.

A cost-effective

Because it is free, my Institution (public University in Brazil) could afford to implement it to improve the quality of undergrad courses.

Pros

I am using the software for about a decade now and it improved a lot! Moodle is a very capable LMS, free and opensource, with a good number of very useful resources for teachers/instructors and leaners. There is a huge community of users and developers to get support from and share experience. Furthermore, one can get a taste of this LMS or even in deep, in-pracice, learning how to use it using free online resources, such as https://moodle.org/demo/. Although it is mainly developed for education, it can be tailored to be used as other kind of content management system, such as general websites and a plataform for team-based activities online. Worth to note, Moodle is developed with socio-constructivism philosophy, and this makes a significant difference in terms of effective improvement of the teaching and learning activities using technology resources.

Cons

Some teachers may find it a little cumbersome because of the high number of features and customization options. The interface is a little outdated and could be more intuitive and flexible. Some features requires TI expertise to be implemented and requires server-side access. Finally, upgrades (notably major ones) must be carefully planned and executed to avoid data loss.

Collaboration Outside of the Classroom

Overall, I appreciate Moodle as a way to bring classes together outside of school. It encompasses all the aspects necessary for a class to run and enforces a collaborative environment.

Pros

Moodle is a beneficial way for teachers and students to communicate and collaborate outside of the classroom. It seems like it can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. Professors can post assignments and schedules, host discussions, and generally just have all resources for the class in one place. Another benefit of Moodle is that it is eco-friendly in the way it limits paper copies of texts and other things. Personally, I like the Moodle calendar and the sense of organization it provides me. I also like being able to keep track of my grades in a straightforward manner. It's also free!

Cons

Moodle seems a little complex. Right now I feel like I only have a basic understanding of the features the program offers and I wish I had an easier time investigating new features. In addition, teachers always seem to have a problem making assignments visible to the whole class and this has definitely caused some miscommunication, although this may be the fault of the teachers and not Moodle itself.

Moodle, best impossible

I have more than eight (8) years developing educational processes in the e-learning modality with the Moodle Platform and I can say that the experience has been successful and unmatched, I have managed to work with more than 500 students in a collaborative learning environment, most of them of them without experience in distance education and it has been very simple and very useful. It allows teachers an extensive use of resources to assist learning. It is very robust and safe. I recommend it without hesitation.

Pros

I liked all the resources and activities offered by Moodle. It is a platform of an impressive utility for the development of teaching-learning processes, it is very friendly, light, simple and efficient to use both for the administrator (a), teacher (a) and participant of the same. It allows collaborative work. It has billboards, forums, glossaries, calendars, chat, multimedia resources, among others. It is free to use and has nothing to envy to any platform. It is unbeatable.

Cons

It is very difficult to say that it was what I liked the least. There really is nothing that I did not like.

It’s complex but useful in the end

It is definitely worth using Moodle for sharing course material, keeping track of class schedules and grades. I’d recommend to every college to try this service but they should also provide training on how to use Moodle because it definitely takes time learn all the gimmicks of the website.

Pros

I have been using Moodle for the last two years for my own courses and also for the courses I teach as a graduate teaching assistant. At first the user interface looks simple and clean but there are so many functionalities and options you can play with! You can edit, calculate and publish student grades to all students or just to some people like the Professor who’s the lead instructor of that course. You can easily share and update course material on the website by using drag&drop. If you can get a hold of it, it is a great, flexible tool that you can tailor for your specific needs.

Cons

It happened to me and many users suffer from the slow learning curve to master the functionalities and options available on Moodle. It takes time to get a grip of it.

Elias Alirio from Sykes

From a User of Moodle!

I enjoy taking my courses in Moodle! My experience has been positive, and I love how it helps me keep track of all my completed and pending to complete tasks.

Pros

I am currently studying my second career online, and the institution I am doing so has its program performed in Moodle. I like all the different types of activities Moodle allows me to perform, so these are things you can implement in case you were interested in using it in your institution. I participate in group discussions with my peers and we can perform peer evaluation. I am able to upload all types of documents from both my discussion posts, assignments and Journals. Moodle allows you to define tests for students in which you can decide if retakes are acceptable or not depending on what you are evaluating. It has a very reliable messaging system for instructors and students to stay communicated, and it allows you to give awards in the form of badges for accomplishments. It has so many different types of activities that can be implemented for a very interactive online classroom.

Cons

I am not sure why, but there have been times where some of my posts have been input in Moodle twice. It would be helpful to setan alert that would let you know of a duplicate post, so you could delete it before the permitted time for this was allowed.

Kristy from First Presbyterian Day School

Moodle helps me keep all important documents my students need in one place.

Pros

Moodle makes it easy for me to distribute handouts and reading materials, and take up student work all in one place. It saves time by allowing me to load materials my students need in a daily basis. It helps students keep track of their assignments and all handouts. If a student misplaces a handout or reading materials, all they have to do is go to my Moodle site and download the documents again. I also love how all documents students submit through Moodle have a time stamp. This helps me hold kids accountable to deadlines and keeps a record that is useful for sharing with parents during conferences. The other feature I really like is being able to load as many documents as I want on my site and then using the hide feature to keep students from being able to see the documents until they are needed.

Cons

I haven't yet mastered how to use Moodle to give my students tests. I have tried to figure it out on my own without training, but I have not had a lot of success.

Ankit from Netsmartz Infotech

Best open source Learning management system

The overall experience is ok. There are much good options out there like google classroom but this is the one we getting for free so yes it's the best free option out there.

Pros

The best thing about the Moodle is that its open source, you can made your modifications as per your requirement. It got all the feature you may look into in a learning management system. It supports SCROM standard course & quiz contain all types of questions like multiple choice or matchmaking. Reports generated are very descriptive & works perfectly. All the basic features like login with social media are available. In build security features are also up to the mark. It is made with the PHP scripting language which is very easy to understand & get started with. All in all its the good choice if you are on budget.

Cons

The complexity & bad user interface is what make moodle don't stand out in the market. The sections in the moodle are not intuitive & takes time for an average user to under where the possible things can be.

A trusted Content/Learning management system that free and open source

Cannot expect more as it is a really good, open source tool. Highly customizable to suit your needs and has almost all features you are going to need as plugins.

Pros

Moodle is a highly customizable open source tool which has been there for some time and which had clearly grown in so many ways. Being a reliable, open source tool makes it ideal for small businesses and institutes It has so many plugins which enable you to find the best options for your requirement and it allows your content and course materials to be organized in a clean and neat manner. There are features like uploading documents, emailing which are a definitely going to help users when it comes to educational institutes.

Cons

In users point of view, moodle really does not have any cons as being a free tool it really does an amazing job. The only thing to mention would be, when the load gets high, the system tends to hang and if you are trying to upload an assignment at the last moment, you will have a hard time getting it done.

Samm from SRP Design

Great for Colleges and Universities

It was a great experience because it's where everything is. It was the HUB of online student portals. Easy to use and navigate, you can personalize the pages so sections that are more important to you are on your home page when you log in, and there is a teacher version so the teacher can keep attendance and track grades all in Moodle.

Pros

This software was easy to use but includes a lot of features. It is where students can take tests, quizzes, and they can be timed or untimed, you can look at your grade immediately so students don't have to wait and worry. All the text books and teachers are noted on there and you can hook up plugins for art portfolios and school email links so that students can have everything all in one place.

Cons

Sometimes it would glitch and if it did during a test or quiz, it would kick you out and you sometimes only had one try at the test so you would have to contact your teacher and hope she gave you another try on the test. Some teachers weren't that nice and you had to take the zero.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,378 reviews