All Pages Reviews

Bakari

Writing and Editing, 1 employee

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Alternative to Microsoft Word

PROS

Since Apple's Pages is free, I’ve used it for several years for desktop publishing projects, including brochures, fliers, PDF downloads, guides, etc. Pages is fairly easy to use for simple projects, but I wouldn't suggest using it for writing a book. I suggest Scrivener instead. Pages is also useful for sharing projects with collaborators, as well as reading your documents on the iPad. Pages also includes templates for various types of projects like brochures, but honestly, it's easier and better to use Canva, the online graphic design tool.

CONS

A little challenging to learn advanced features like page and document formatting.

Reasons for switching to Pages

Word is now subscriber-based and too expensive.

Tureen Punit

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Pages for the win!

I love using Pages to create different sorts of files with ease. It is easy and fun to use especially while creating birthday invitations, posters, flyers, and other infographics. I adore its feature-rich and intuitive interface. The user community and support team are great and quickly help resolve issues. Besides that, Pages lets me collaborate with other users in real-time, provides powerful integration with other tools, and is easily accessible across all my Apple devices.

PROS

Pages is a powerful and easy-to-use word processor, especially for Apple users. It comes with tons of features and beautifully designed templates across various categories to cater to multiple user requirements. Pages let a user insert photos, charts, audio video, etc into the document. It comes with an intuitive interface and is quite easy to use. Pages also provide powerful sharing and collaboration features to the users.

CONS

The thing I least like about Pages is the fact the documents created on Pages cannot be opened elsewhere unless converted into a suitable format like PDF. Hence it is a great option for sharing files among Apple users only.

Reasons for switching to Pages

We wanted to try and see how Pages work hence we made a switch.

Fiona

Writing and Editing, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2023

Good and free!

Good and free!

PROS

It’s free and easy to use and doesn’t required internet.

CONS

Few formatting and design options which canva is better for.

Claudia

Animation, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2024

Pages, documents

Easy to edit files share and stop on iCloud

PROS

Easy to edit files share and stop on iCloud, good editing features.

CONS

Not compatible with android users, need to export files

Aaron

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed July 2021

For Apple users, Pages is a good word processor, though it lacks many power features

I have used Pages since it was first introduced over 15 years ago and have almost always preferred it to competing products - especially Microsoft Word and Google Docs. Pages has a nice clean interface, great support for inserting and manipulating media items, and is generally just nicer to use than other products.

PROS

The main selling point of Pages is that it is free for Apple users and is available on all Apple platforms (Mac, iOS and iPadOS). Being a free piece of software, Pages is quite capable, with multiple formatting options and good media integration. In addition, for iCloud users, Pages seamlessly syncs with iCloud Drive and allows for multiple people to collaborate on a single document. In addition, Pages has a clean and easy to use interface, and its feature set is comparable across all platforms.

CONS

There are two major downsides to Pages - it is Apple only and lacks many of the more powerful features of competing word processors (such as Microsoft Word). While there is a web based version that can be accessed from any platform, it isn't a great experience (especially when compared to Google Docs). For most users that need a free cross-platform alternative to Word, OpenOffice and LibreOffice offers a good alternative; though at this point many people choose to go with Google Docs out of sheer convenience. In addition, for collaboration purposes, Pages is really only useful if both people use Macs.

Reason for choosing Pages

I primarily use Pages for personal documents, or documents that won't need to be shared with others (outside of converting them to a PDF). In general I prefer Pages over other products mainly because it has a nice clean interface, and it work seamlessly across all Apple platforms. However, when it comes to needing to collaborate with others, I often turn to other word processors - primarily Microsoft Word or Google Docs.

Melissa

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2022

In Love...It's like Word, Publisher, and Illustrator all rolled into one.

I have been using Pages since I got my first Mac computer in 2000. I love this program, especially since I work in Marketing and always need to make things look nice. I design almost everything on Pages and I love going into meetings knowing I have the best looking resources and reports!

PROS

This is my FAVORITE program. It is my go to for almost everything. I do a lot of design work for my job and I used to default to Illustrator or other design programs for most of my work, but now I use Pages for 90% of all my work and only open those other programs when I need a specific design feature that doesn't exist in Pages.

CONS

The only few issues I have found with Pages: 1. Exporting simple documents to Word files (.doc) works great, but files that have a ton of design elements don't export well. I can create PDFs in most cases so it works fine, but occasionally I wish the designs elements integrated better with the Word export. 2. They recently added a mail merge feature, but it is still missing the ability to merge lists into address labels or other documents. they have started working on it though so I have high hopes for the next version. 3. I love this program so much and I hate that I can't share it with my co-workers who don't work on Mac. People are always asking how I did something on my documents/design and I hate that they can't do it on their Word or other document editor.

Reasons for switching to Pages

At first I made the switch because I couldn't afford to purchase Microsoft Office for my Mac computer. My brother showed me that Macs come with their own free software called Pages. I assumed that free software wouldn't be that great, but started using it because I didn't have an alternative. Now I hate using Microsoft Word and even though my company has paid for me to have it I always create everything in Pages. The only reason I ever use Word is to double check designs I create in Pages and export as Word documents.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2022

Pages is a great choice.

I enjoy working with pages. I use other document software as well, but pages is my go to if I can us it.

PROS

Ive worked on many document creating systems. Pages is my favorite for creating a document from scratch. I've found it has more versatility and ease compared to other products. It allows for creativity without needing to move to adobe illustrator or the like (don't get me wrong, it is not the same as AI). Great for tables/graphs and integrates well with numbers.

CONS

There is a learning curve if you are not familiar with the operating system. It takes a moment to become familiar and find what you need. That being said, the help menu typically solves my problems in 30s or less.

Ease of use.

Reasons for switching to Pages

I prefer the apple operating system and I liked the ease of features with pages.

Reviewed April 2022

A Strong Free Alternative to Microsoft Word

Pages is a strong and free alternative to Microsoft Word for Apple product users. Though Word remains the preferred document processing tool for its extensive features, Pages has given me enough on my personal MacBook that I haven't felt any desire to pay for Word.

PROS

Pages offers a slick design easy for preparing or editing documents. There are a number of templates available to begin the document and a number of tools within, from adjusting the style and layout to creating and adding tables and charts.

CONS

Pages does not have all of the extensive features Microsoft Word offers. Pages can open Word files, but this sometimes introduces errors. The default save file for Pages is .pages which Word users are unable to open - though Pages users can export their file to a .docx.

Reasons for switching to Pages

Purchased a MacBook and did not have a Microsoft Word license.

Kunal

Legal Services, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2022

Good, but complicated and restrictive

Overall experience is good. As described earlier, initially it is hard to understand, but once you get a hang of it, you start liking it.

PROS

As with all Apple products, Pages is very good to use. Has all the features. Once you know how to use it, you would probably like it better (or may be equal is a better word) than any other similar product. It has all the features that you would need to function appropriately.

CONS

1) For beginners it is hard to understand.2) You can work real time on Pages with other Pages users only.3) It is not used popularly by other users, which makes it hard to collaborate together4) You would need to use Word or Docs regularly and when you come back to use Pages, it is pretty hard to start all over again.5) While opening Microsoft Word or Google Docs on Pages, they lose their formatting.

Reason for choosing Pages

I use Pages, but only when I have to work alone. When I need to collaborate with other's I would prefer using Google Docs.

Gary

Machinery, 201-500 employees

Reviewed January 2023

A capable and flexible solution for document creation

All in all, our team is very happy with the performance of Pages and have used it regularly as part of our workflow. While it lacks some of the flexibility competitors like Google Docs and MS Word have, it is extremely convenient, easy to use, and readily available on all of our Apple products.

PROS

I like the fact that Pages is already built into all of my Apple products and is available for free. Aside from that, I really like how many customizable templates are available in Pages. Our team regularly uses these templates as the starting point for many of our document projects.

CONS

If I had to nitpick and pick the things I least like about Pages it would be its overall lack of features and basic sharing/collaboration tools. Since pages is free, its suite of tools and features is a bit limited compared to some of its competitors like MS Word and Google Docs. I do feel that Google Docs offers a better real-time collaboration experience overall.

Reason for choosing Pages

Pricing was a major concern along with compatibility. Pages was already available on our Apple computers, so we chose it instead of MS Word.

1 employee

Reviewed April 2022

Great, Affordable Word Processing

Pages is simple to use when there is only one person working on a project, so I always use it when I only want to share exported PDFs with others.

PROS

Pages is great when you create a document from scratch and only use it within Pages or print it to PDF. It has almost all of the functions I ever need. I often create presentations in Pages and then export it to PDF to do powerpoint presentations because they use the least amount of space, are easy to create and edit, and even the lowest-quality presentation systems can handle the files. Pages is not as clunky or RAM-heavy as Microsoft software, which is great for slower devices. It also doesn't have as many superfluous buttons, so it's easier to use than some other programs while still being more or less aesthetically pleasing to work with.

CONS

It is very difficult to go back and forth between Pages and other word processing programs like Microsoft Word or Google Documents. There is a lack of compatibility between the programs, so documents get unformatted easily, and it is nearly impossible to fix them. This is especially difficult when you have multiple users working on the same projects and all use different programs, or when you just need to open the document on a different device (like a non-Apple computer or Android phone) when you're on the go.

Reviewed June 2022

The best word processor

PROS

Considering that it is a free program at Apple, it really has enormous value. It has nothing to envy to Microsoft Word, on the contrary: compared to Microsoft's competitor, Pages is much lighter, documents open quickly and in general there is a much more agile use of the system. Also great for converting to PDF and for use on mobile devices such as Iphone or Ipad

CONS

It's a great program, I don't think it needs further improvement

Jacob

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2022

Writing made fun again

My overall experience with pages is a wonderful experience. I love the simplicity of the design the overall aesthetic how it looks nice and just simple however, it’s still a very powerful writing tool.

PROS

As a writer who is written stories on and off for a good portion of their life, I must say that pages was a big help and my creative process I like the collaboration tools that they were introduced within the last couple years, as well as the layout, the fonts, and the way that you can set up the tools inside of pages to your advantage for writing

CONS

I would say the only thing that I have to complain about with pages is the fact that when you’re writing a story, and then you bring the story down to the size to be printed in the book, the spacing is not always correct

Reviewed December 2021

Better than Word - for some things

I love using it especially for a bit more graphically complex documents, such as an 8 page annual report on my company to investors. It does not reach the pro levels of a layout app such as Adobe's InDesign, but for my purposes those are mostly overkill and as I have a Mac and Pages comes free with the OS, it's not a difficult choice.

PROS

If you want to make a fancy looking PDF report or newsletter Pages does a way better job than MS Word. Especially when it comes to graphics, text and photos in multiple layers. Things just go where you put them and then stay there and its fantastically easy to use.

CONS

I have not really tried the collaborative features, mainly because most colleges and clients use MS Word, where these features are definitely robust (when writing a document that contains mainly text and needs input from others, I thus use MS Word more). Part of this issue is that Pages is only meaningfully available within Apple's walled garden (although you can use the online version at iCloud.com for free) so, collaboration will not work across many desks.

Munema

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed July 2021

A good solution for writing on a Mac

PROS

Sometimes, I cannot wrap my head around the fact that a tool like Pages comes installed on Mac computers for free. In my opinion, it is a solid tool and can work well for writers of different levels. In particular, I like its clean and distraction-free interface, which makes it easy to only focus on the task at hand and nothing else. If you have used a writing tool before, then you are going to find most of the features you are familiar with. Two big things I think make Pages stand out and are features I am sure most users are going to really benefit from: mobile app and collaboration feature. Are you often on the move? Then, you will be glad to hear that you can work on your Pages documents using your tablet or smartphone. And if you are part of a team, you and the other members of the team can co-work on a document in real-time.

CONS

One thing I sometimes struggle with and that makes my experience with Pages a little frustrating has to do with formatting. If you are creating a Pages document and want to add several images to it, you may be forced to spend quite some time organizing the content so that it is displayed in the way you want it to be presented in the document.

Motion Pictures and Film, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2021

The best word processor

I love working with pages, the tight ecosystem integration helps our whole team to be more productive.

PROS

I'm using Pages daily and love the simple, yet versatile UI and the look of the final documents. You can focus on writing and still be sure that your output is good-looking, for larger documents you can directly export as the E-Paper compatible .epub-Format.

CONS

There are still some missing features compared to word (espacially the macro-system). If you work regulary with such advanced features, you won't be happy with Pages.

Reasons for switching to Pages

Costs, data privacy and integration

Benjamin

Public Safety, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2022

Pages is intuitive and allows me to get to writing.

Overall excellent, it would be my go-to document created, if not for poor integration.

PROS

Pages is simple and functional with most functions I need when I need them.

CONS

Pages does not integrate editing functions like Grammarly, PerfectIt, or Outwrite. It lacks the ability to add line numbers to documents (needed in depositions, dissertations, and scripting).

Reason for choosing Pages

I use it when writing for pleasure.

Amanda

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2021

Pages

I use pages for may word processing objectives. It is more intuitive than word.

PROS

This software is simpler than Word, therefore faster to use. Very few features make it more intuitive than word.

CONS

Adding images requires a space drawing tool. They often go out of alignment as I drag and drop resources onto the pages.

Aniruddha

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2-10 employees

The closest software to Latex

It is too good for any person who is using mathematical symbols a lot and has a Mac. There is no need of using WORD on a Mac

PROS

The ease of typing mathematical symbols is just a breeze! It directlly incorporates latex and the selection of fonts is amazing.

CONS

Sometimes it does not open .docx format files in the correct layout

Reasons for switching to Pages

UI and ease of use in writing equations

Raquel