Showing 1-20 of 163 products
Buildium is a cloud-based property management software that enables managers of residential and association properties to take control of every aspect of their business, whether in the office or fully remote, including online rent... Read more
Recent recommendations: 190 recommendations
Yardi Breeze is property management software built exclusively for small to mid-size businesses. Yardi Breeze offers features such as autocomplete address lookups, data import utility, home screen dashboard, drill-down reporting and... Read more
Recent recommendations: 139 recommendations
SimplifyEm provides all the features any landlord or property manager needs, including accounting, tenant & lease tracking, and vendor & bank tracking. Since the system is web-based, users can access information nearly anywhere. Read more
Recent recommendations: 115 recommendations
AppFolio provides property management software that allows property managers and owners to market, automate and manage tasks related to their apartments, residential properties, commercial property, student housing or other property. The... Read more
Recent recommendations: 90 recommendations
Pay HOA is a cloud-based homeowner association (HOA) solution which assists property managers with rent collection, invoicing and e-filing. Its key features include online payments, survey collection, tenant engagement tracking and... Read more
Recent recommendations: 39 recommendations
Propertyware's software-as-a-service model provides easy access to essential property management functions, all in a web-based portal. Propertyware houses and maintains the software, helping you reduce long-term IT expense. Read more
Recent recommendations: 37 recommendations
PropertyZar is a cloud-based property management solution for small to large landlords and property managers. It offers features such as tenant screening, online applications, e-payments, posting vacancies and work order management.PropertyZar... Read more
Recent recommendations: 29 recommendations
Rentec Direct serves as a web-based, full-featured management system for landlords and property managers that is designed to suit the needs of those managing properties between 25 and 5,000 units. Rentec has no startup fees, no term... Read more
Recent recommendations: 27 recommendations
Storage Commander is an on-premise and cloud-based solution that enables businesses to manage self-storage operations, online rentals, maintenance costs and more. It uses global data centers, Europay, MasterCard, Visa (EMV) chip technology,... Read more
Recent recommendations: 24 recommendations
Easy Storage Solutions is a cloud-based property management system for self-storage companies. The system features a website that supports credit card processing as well as online payments and booking. The solution can send tenants... Read more
Recent recommendations: 23 recommendations
ResMan is the industry-leading property management platform preferred by owners, operators and investors across the multifamily, affordable and commercial real estate marketplace. Our platform is built for the evolving needs of your... Read more
Recent recommendations: 20 recommendations
Rent Manager is a software system for both residential and commercial real estate companies. The financial accounting component of Rent Manager has full integration and includes standard functionality such as a general ledger with... Read more
Recent recommendations: 19 recommendations
ManageCasa is an intuitive, interactive, and automated Property Management platform specifically designed for Property Managers, Associations and Landlords seeking an all-encompassing web and mobile approach to increase efficiency... Read more
Recent recommendations: 15 recommendations
FRONTSTEPS solutions improve communities by streamlining communication from management offices to homeowners. FRONTSTEPS provides an inclusive system for communities including accounting, communications, day-to-day operations, and... Read more
Recent recommendations: 14 recommendations
Available in a software-as-a-service module, Condo Manager delivers a full suite of accounting, management and database features with data import and backup. Custom Web site design and integration also available. Read more
Recent recommendations: 13 recommendations
Innago offers a cloud-based property management platform for landlords with small to midsize property portfolios. With Innago, users can collect rent, manage leases, collect signatures and manage tenants. Landlords can collect rent... Read more
Recent recommendations: 12 recommendations
SKYLINE from SS&C Technologies is a web-based property management and accounting solution suitable for small to midsize real-estate firms. Designed to handle an array or key operations, SKYLINE is capable of offering integrated tools... Read more
Recent recommendations: 11 recommendations
PayProp is a cloud-based property management solution designed to help property managers collect, match and reconcile rental payments for their properties. Key features include payment automation, audit logging, arrears management... Read more
Recent recommendations: 10 recommendations
Offering automated calculations and billing, MRI Commercial Management removes human errors from recovery calculations and square footage adjustments. This solution offers depth of functionality while being heavily customizable. Read more
Recent recommendations: 9 recommendations
Condo Control Central is a property management solution that provides an online communication and management platform for condos. It offers an online discussion forum, amenity booking, concierge management and more. An online file... Read more
Recent recommendations: 7 recommendations
What is online property management software?
Online property management software is PM software that's provided as a digital service you access via the internet instead of installing directly onto your computer.
Much like traditional property management software, online property management software allows landlords and real estate professionals track leases, residents, and maintenance tasks as well as collect rent and manage finances to reduce costs and streamline operations.
In the traditional software model, software is installed onto the user’s computer at the property management office. However, over the last few years, Web-based Software as a Service (SaaS) has seen tremendous growth in popularity. There are four major reasons for this increased adoption of this fee-based module.
Common Features of Web-Based Property Management Software
Faster, easier set-up time. Installing software to a local computer takes time and energy. It requires knowledge of system components, data backup, maintenance, updates and repair in the event anything goes wrong.
Web-based software requires no installation. All it needs is an Internet connection. Because the vendor hosts the software for you, system upgrades and regular maintenance are taken care of for you.
Lower up-front costs. Rather than purchasing the software up front, the user pays a license fee, usually monthly. This drastically reduces upfront costs, which benefits most small business.
Ease of access. Typically in the traditional on-premise model, applications can only be accessed by the computers with the particular software installed. Because SaaS applications are Web-based, any computer with a Web browser can access them. That means your data is easily accessible wherever you are.
Because web-based systems are accessible via any Web browser, they're typically well-suited to be use on mobile devices. However, there are differences between using Web-based software on your mobile device and using a native mobile application. For more, see our property management mobile apps guide.
Website integration. Web-based systems simplifiy integration with the company’s website, and with that integration comes features crucial in managing the property. For example, tenants can have their own portal, allowing them to pay rent and make maintenance requests online; and vacancies can be posted on the company website and then ported directly to major locator services like Craigslist, Apartments.com or Rentals.com.
With the advent of the SaaS model, property managers are effectively renting the system, rather than buying it. Support, upgrades and ancillary fees are all bundled into the monthly or annual subscription, which may be a set fee or may be based on the number of units and/or users.
|Perpetual License||Subscription Model|
|Recurring costs||Small (upgrades)||Medium|
|Benefits||Permanent Ownership||Cancel any time, no-hassle upgrades & support|
|Drawbacks||Sunk costs, technical infrastructure required||Recurring fees add up over time|
Expected Benefits of Web-Based Property Management Software
- Real-time information availability: A cloud-based property management solution can be accessed from anywhere and at any time on various devices, such as desktops, laptops and smartphones. The solution centralizes information from multiple properties and offers full data visibility at any point in time.
- Automated reminders for critical dates: Remembering the rent due date can sometimes be difficult for landlords, especially if they have tens or even hundreds of rental units across multiple locations. A property management solution automates the process of capturing important milestones regarding property rent, such as rent due date, lease expiry date or renew date. It also automates sending prior reminders to both the landlord and tenants so that no one misses any critical deadlines.
- Multiple property management: It can be tedious to manage property-related operations, especially when there are multiple units spread across different locations. It can be challenging to manually track the progress of multiple activities, such as managing tenant records, scheduling maintenance operations, handling monthly finances and communicating with tenants on time. This is where a cloud-based property management solution comes into play. Such a solution helps landlords manage multiple sites and their periodic operations. Users can electronically record every financial transaction and have multi-channel communication with their tenants in real time.
- Build an online presence: These days, landlords are listing their properties on various property renting channels, such as renting.com, realtor.com and housing.com, to attract more people. Cloud-based property management software helps landlords create online listings for their property and share them on multiple third-party renting sites to reach a bigger audience.
- Scalability: The advantage of using any cloud-based property management solution is that they can be easily scaled up as and when your requirements change.
- Security: An advanced property management software ensures a high standard of security for both property and tenant data stored in the cloud. With a cloud-based solution, you don’t have to be worried about data security at all times.
- Additional benefits: A property management solution also helps in managing other activities, such as reporting, complying with property renting laws and regulations, managing inspection and advertising property.
There are many options and feature sets in property management solutions. To narrow things down for your business, you should first analyze your basic requirements and then search for a solution that suits your business.
Here are some of the features that matter the most and the reasons why you should seriously consider them:
- Accounting: With property management software, landlords and managers can simplify their financial operations and manage complex tasks even if they have limited accounting knowledge. Selecting a solution that also offers accounting functionality can be beneficial as this would cover the need for buying additional accounting software.
- Property classification: This feature identifies the types of properties that the software can manage. Software can be for a single facility, commercial property, residential property, multi-unit property or even function as an association property management solution. You should ensure that the software you are planning to buy is designed and customized according to your property type.
- Browser compatibility: Most cloud-based software is compatible with the latest browsers. But it's better to know the browser compatibility of your shortlisted software before you purchase it. Therefore, make sure that your selected software is at least compatible with the following browsers:
- Apple Safari
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Marketing: Marketing features help property owners advertise their properties on various platforms, such as renting channels, social media platforms, property websites and housing channels. Most property management solutions allow the posting of ads directly on these platforms to improve promotion.
- Owner portal: Owner portals allow property managers to track their properties from a single place. The portal has options to track tenants, view rent statuses, communicate with tenants, manage accounts, monitor online listings and do much more. Therefore, it’s convenient to have a dedicated online portal for property managers if they have to manage multiple properties situated at different locations.
- Tenant portal: Similar to the owner portal, the tenant portal is a dedicated portal for tenants and allows them to pay their rent, configure profiles, submit maintenance work orders, check balances and more. The tenant portal helps streamline the vast majority of owner and tenant interactions.
- Mobile: Modern property management solutions offer a dedicated mobile app for both owner and tenants so that they can access the service directly on their smartphones. Some of the features include updating property information, uploading service images, communicating information and sending alert notifications. This functionality enables property managers to perform their operations even when they are away from their regular system.