• Pros

• "it is simple and very straightforward for anyone new starting out with using this software"

• "It's fairly reliable, handles basic functions (screen ordering, receipt and kitchen printing and end of day reports without graphs)."

• "I like the ease of use and good customer service. Whenever I have a problem, it is fixed easily."

• Cons

• "Value just OK for money. Hardware setup a bit complicated and prone to possible to complications. Can probably do better for the money."

• "With all of the positives to this product, and with allowing multiple users, we have found that as the more data is stored and is more specific, the process slows down."

• "I was forced to upgrade my server PC from Windows XP to Win 7. I guess that's not a huge deal, but worth noting."

Browse Restaurant Manager POS Reviews

Krista from Donato's Italian

Restaurant Manager POS

Great feature rich POS system at an affordable price.

Pros

Easy to use, reliable and updates are included with their inexpensive software maintenance plan. We recently upgraded to RMPOS version 20. It's redesigned, bug free and works great. It also has paid at the table and supports chip card processing. Way ahead of other systems that friends of mine use at their restaurants.

Jamie from Benchmark Nashville Bar and Grill

Restaurant Manager is solid for a Bar/Restaurant Environment

If you decide on RM, they have a network of local installers/support. It's best to find a good one to help support the system for you. We have a great one. There are parts you can maintain on your own. In my review of other options (which I do every 2-3 years to check the market) the cloud based solutions lack many of the features we rely so much upon. RM is not perfect, but no system is, it is a solid choice for bars and restaurants at a reasonable cost.

Pros

Detailed reporting module, Swipe customer credit card and link to tab/table feature, keeps up with volume on busy nights, easy to change menu items/prices, hardwired via ethernet since based on window OS backbone and installed locally on an in house PC or server. No ongoing monthly costs like the subscription models of other cloud options like Lavu, Lightspeed, Touchbistro, and even Square to some degree now. Quick learning curve for team to use the POS. Hardware is typically at the same or cheaper that then cloud based tablet starter kits.

Cons

Not cloud based (can be a pro or con) depending on reliability of connection, tablet use is not practical due to the heavy demand of the software, the reports are old school out of the 80s but you can upload the data to any BI tool you might like. New features require an upgrade to the latest version and an added cost. (Typically cheaper when you do the math than a subscription model)

john from New york pizzeria

Industry: Restaurants

Restaurant Manager need to get in to the 21 century ....

Very disappointing in Restaurant Manger and Shift 4 . They want to act like a big company but have no resources or expertise to handle a major problem. They have no relationship building techniques with customers. They will let you crash and burn. They only care about getting there monthly fees!

Pros

The software is great for pizza ordering , you can split the pizza in half very easily and it is very easy for the prep printer to send out to kitchen.

Cons

The software is out dated , the Online ordering module is very out dated. Restaurant manager/Shift 4 is terrible to partner with because they hold you ransom when it comes to credit card processing. Restaurant manager now has there own Credit card processing ( Shift 4) and if you do not use there shift 4 processing they will destroy your business with fees. Shift 4 is in a bad turmoil at the present time because they have a major problem in processing on line payments. The most important factor is that Restaurant manger and Shift 4 has no explanation for the error and the customer service is terrible. They have no answers for the issue and have offered nothing to all there customers for there losses. Stay away !!!

Dave from Washington Prime LLC

Industry: Restaurants

Out with the old, in with the New

Overall I will say that for the first 19 years I liked it, didn't love it, but it got the job done. After all the new technology that's coming out with simple cloud based apps, I really don't think RM will be around for much longer.

Pros

This was the original POS software that blew everybody's minds. I used this product for over 20 years, at over a dozen different locations. I grew up in the business on it, it takes me back when I see a location using it.

Cons

As I said, I used this for over 20 years, the problem is that the software never changed or evolved in that 20 years. The lease structure from the backing company is a giant rip off, you had to spend 20 - 30 grand just for a capable system. Software crashes all the time, you have to phone in tech support which they're good, but most of the time they'd have to call you back. In the restaurant business you can't wait. Lastly, it wasn't cloud based, so when the power went out, you were screwed. You were at the mercy of the dinosaur that is RM.

Hesham from Rania Properties

It was great experience

Pros

This software is very easy to install and setup , because it guides you in all steps . also user interface is attractive and easy to use .

Cons

The backoffice module needs more improvement and less complications. If it became able to connect to any general account software this will be great because most of the companies need to join pos to their own account software.

Brandyn from lil baci good food inc

powerful backend but clunky otherwise

frustrating. constant downtime. lack of support. too expensive for what you get

Pros

reporting system was quite good but failed to compensate for other shortcomings. ui is fine but dependence on outdated hardware is a boon

Cons

dependency on server connection to maintain pos uptime. server provided is generally poor quality and would crash constantly. reliance on usb security key which fails often

Reasons for Choosing Restaurant Manager POS

have since left RM and moved to a new system

Restaurant Manager

Pros

I love the customer service and support. Our local rep is always available and great to work with. The system is also very easy to learn and a new user can quickly become a strong user within a few days.

Cons

It hasn't been an issue yet; however, with our support being provided by one person, if he is ever unavailable, we my be in trouble.

Rodel from Horizon Hospitality

Functional

Pros

All the POS functionality that we need from a F&B software is available. The scope is wide as it can handle anything from a kiosk to a Large venue restaurant.

Cons

Connectivity to handheld devices are limited. Value Discounts are in US standards and need some flexibility. Some customizations might be needed if the software is used outside the US.

Sally from merion cricket club

restaurant manager

Pros

Cons

there are too many faults. the repeat function is glitchy and switching between screens gives us problems from time to time

Ben from Real Estate

Restaurant Manager

Positive experience for sure. It got the job done and served its purpose.

Pros

The software itself was VERY easy to use and train new employees on. Very simplistic and straight forward

Cons

Visually it’s terrible, many other software options are a lot better. It is VERY basic and unattractive.

mohamed from crystal mind

RM Review

my overall experience is good and iam looking forward for more from RM

Pros

reporting one of the most amazing features on the program with ton of reports and ton filter you can almost get any report you want

Cons

loyalty program is very weak you need to improve way more than the current one its very limited

Dario from Harvest Moon Brewery/Cafe

Good Software Functionality - Average Value

Pros

Front end software fairly easy to use and adjust for menu changes. Very adaptable for various different restaurant environments.

Chris from Computer Wizards

Industry: Computer Networking

The BEST POS System that money can buy

I was introduced to RM when my tech company was contracted by a local RM dealer for tech support, and we fell in love with the software. Now we not only support it, but we recommend it to all of the local bard, and restaurants in our area.

Lawrence from Ponta Armazens Soc Uni Lda

TOTAL LACK OF SERVICE & SUPPORT IN SOUTHERN AFRICA REGION

I bought may programme in early December for my operation in Mozambique, from the Mozambique Agent - Now nearly 3 months later told by their South African "partner" that I must come collect license key in South Africa. During the whole of the December / New Year Peak holiday period, dependended on temporary license keys - most of the time which they forgot, or never sent.

Pros

Relatively Simple to use. A reasonably good product whose full potential has been hampered thru poor & unprofessional service of local agents (South Africa & Mozambique)

Cons

Expensive. Prone to Glitches & Malfunctions. Total lack of Professionalism & Support in Souhern Africa region

Mohamed from Crystal Mind

Action System Restaurant Manger

very good experience.

Pros

very easy to implement very easy to understand and to work with no big space required to install stable and have a lot of opetions amazing software

Cons

there is no central inventory management system can handle all stores together from one location.

Saddam from crystal mind

im happy to use this program

Pros

Security, Reports, RM monitor, and RM alert is very good

Cons

don't have call center application and also central inventory program

Alan from O'Hara's

Buyer beware

I Just signed up with another POS company. and wasted money on Restaurant Manager

Pros

The outsource Tech support in Canada is great.

Cons

I've had restaurant Manager for a number of years. It's literally the worst POS. It's slow . not intuitive. And hardware support is non existent

February 2013

Mikey from Rhyme again

February 2013

I got two stations a year ago. I don't know much about computers, but bought my dads restaurant and know this would be better than hand written orders. I bought them from people in Raleigh, NC. They did their job and helped me when I knew nothing, but it didn't they come with a manual. I got them to run reports, inventory, etc. I need to know if I need to buy something else or if it's already in my pos. A year later, I'm still learning. Any help to questions will be a big help. I need to know if I need to buy more to access the main stuff in the pos or just download something.

Lace from Plateau Restaurant

General Manager

Pros

With a company of our size, this product allows for easy training with multiple users and easy access.

January 2016

Paco from Paco's Sol, LLC

2.5

2.5

January 2016

Way too many issues

Pros

The only thing I like about this is the handhelds and the efficiency they have created, when they work.

Cons

We have never ending bugs. Handhelds freeze up. My sessions don't closer properly. We have added wifi extenders, a gaming pc to run it, fans for cooling. Have had 3 handhelds sent back. Crash after crash. Manager functions are very complicated compared to software like Aloha. Selling gift cards, complicated. I am very unhappy.

Alan from New York

1.5

Restaurant Manager POS

Pros

Cons

It's out of date. Updates are costly, and customer service is lacking.

July 2014

Alissa from Tango Restaurant

July 2014

We have used this POS for several years and have currently switched.

Pros

There is nothing I like about this software.

Cons

This POS system is extremely outdated, difficult to use, and not user-friendly. The reports are a joke and look like they are from the 80s. The customer service is horrible, and they charge you for everything. There are much better and more up-to-date software products out there that offer free updates.

December 2014

Christina from Formula Street Inc.

Restaurant Manager POS Review

Pros

It has a good interface and is user-friendly. Even if I have any issues, it is easily resolved without any difficulties.

Cons

If I want to customize different aspects about the interface, I'm not able to.

Bryan from Millican & Associates

Millican review

Pros

Ease of use, intuitive and easy to train new users.

Cons

There is nothing that I or other users do not like about this software. It meets our needs.

Ping from Lee's Garden

December 2014

Very useful Manager tool.

Pros

The program is well written, easy to use and affordable.

Cons

Sometimes the categories are a little confusing. If technical support is available, that'll be great.

June 2014

Duane from Smokehouse

June 2014

#1 POS for sales and service

I couldn't be more happy with my Restaurant Manager POS system. Functionality is tremendous - it even handles my online ordering without a fax or email! Reporting is great. The iPhone app allows me to see pertinent information right on my phone. I even get my reports emailed to me each morning!

Kent from KBS Consulting

Restaurant Manager POS: A Review

Pros

I like the ability write on the device and move, or go. It allows for both speed and accuracy.

Cons

The touch pad requires a hard push, and I wish it wasn't so hard to push.

Sam from Comfort Foods Inc

Comfort Foods Inc

Pros

Cons

Sometimes it has glitches, such as frozen screen or buttons sticking.

carole from craft encounters

Rm pos review questions

Pros

There is an ease of use with this that I have not seen before. Not overly complicated.

Cons

The price point of this could be just a little better.

jennie from dennys

December 2014

Much rather use pen and paper

Pros

It's fast. I just have to hit a btton and its done.

Cons

I'm old school. I would rather use a pen and paper.

August 2014

Chris from California Organics

1.5

August 2014

Restaurant Manager should be avoided

Pros

It's fairly reliable, handles basic functions (screen ordering, receipt and kitchen printing, and end of day reports without graphs) okay.

Cons

It's out of date. Updates are costly, and customer service is lacking.