What are Aplos users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Aplos software through verified user reviews

• icon"The cost is very affordable compared to other products. The customer service and technical support are outstanding."
  • icon"I enjoyed the fact that it was user friendly. I enjoyed the affordable monthly fees based of organization size."
  • icon"I like the fact it is cloud based, so I can take it with me anywhere. It's more affordable versus other offerings."
  • icon"I was not around for implementation so I am unsure if the problems were the Aplos or GVC team related. Now I understand the software, it is critical to plan the uses than implement."
  • icon"Other software was somewhat disappointing - hasn't always worked correctly and a bit confusing on how it integrates with Aplos."
  • icon"I also find reporting to be a bit confusing. It is not intuitive...it sometimes takes several steps (that are not obvious) to get the report I need."

Browse all Aplos Reviews

• Have you used Aplos and would like to share your experience with others?

Brandon

Simple and easy, but with advanced features for those who need it.

We began using Aplos as a brand new church. They helped us every step of the way as we grew - absolutely stellar customer service! We still don't have the complexity that some larger churches do, but every time we have needed to add something, the capacity has been there. The one exception was the lack of payroll integration, which I understand that they are now adding but we have not used yet. What I love about the product is that it is easy for us who are new to accounting to use, but also robust enough that our treasure (CPA) is able to use it in more complex ways.

Pros

Cloud-based Accounting with multiple user accounts makes it easy to keep finances updated. Clean, simple, straight-forward layout makes use easy. Super-responsive customer service are always there when you need them. Bank integration makes it easy to import transactions. Contact management. Reports are quick and easy to generate with customized data. Ability to connect to online-giving.

Cons

At the moment we are unable to link families within the contact management system. There are awesome graphs and charts on the dashboard, but unfortunately they do not have a lot of customization options or the ability to easily export.

Laura

From QuickBooks Online to Aplos

From the initial inquiry to day to day activities, the Aplos team has been a great support. They are quick to respond and guide us with the different features. Very refreshing!

Pros

Aplos is easy to use and I appreciate the Fund Reports and the Budgeting Reports. Learning the software was very easy and there are a number of help topics to assist you. Today I ran into a snag and used the chat box and received an answer back very quickly. Aplos has always be very responsive to any inquires.

Cons

It would be nice to have more reporting options. What is there is great, however it would be helpful to have some more analytical reports for number nerds like me. Also 1099 reporting.

Reasons for choosing Aplos

Aplos has a great CRM module and the Fund accounting. Also the cost was very reasonable.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

QuickBooks does not have a useable fund accounting option for the online product. We needed an accounting system that allowed remote users which pushed up the costs of the desktop version.

Dina

Aplos is a great tool for Non Profits!

We are MUCH more efficient since we started using Aplos. It is so much easier to do every single function in the company now, and we can each look up information with no difficulty.

Pros

I enjoy the ease of use of Aplos more than anything.

Cons

No Auction site management system incorporated

Reasons for choosing Aplos

Because of the incredible customer service, ease of use, and ability to customize to our needs.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

Because we were all losing valuable time trying to figure it out and there was no tech support available for a reasonable price.

William

Very Difficult and Complicated, With Poor Tech Support

Not good. I need help, and the support never provides help that works.

Pros

Had potential for non-profits vs QuickBooks

Cons

Bank integration does not work. I've used QuickBooks for non-profits, with integration that works fine. In Aplos, what shows up in Aplos doesn't match what the banks say. Tech support answers fairly quickly, however, they come up with all kinds of solutions that don't work. And different people will offer a different solution. None of them work. Then they drop it leaving me hanging. I may go back to QuickBooks which once you get a few words down (business terms vs non-profit) it is actually quite easy, and more dependable.

Reasons for choosing Aplos

I believed the Aplos advertising, and the trial offer of a low price.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

I believed the Aplos advertising that their app is so much better. It isn't.

Response from Aplos

Hi William! Thank you for your feedback, and I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've had concerning bank integration. You also mentioned using QuickBooks instead, so if you don't mind I'll briefly speak to both. QuickBooks creates and maintains its own bank integration feature, whereas Aplos has a partnership with Plaid and Finicity, which are industry leaders in the space. Plaid and Finicity both connect with the financial institutions and pass the information back to Aplos. We have very little control over the information received. However, we do have a great relationship with both partners, and consistently work with them on improving the experience for our customers. As for using QuickBooks, this may be a better fit if you do not need Fund Accounting and donor management. Our Customer Success Director, Alex Acree, will be reaching out personally to help troubleshoot the bank integration issues you're seeing. If you have any other questions or feedback please let us know.

Replied June 2020

Roslyn

Aplos - A Stellar Business Model!

My overall experience with Aplos has been phenomenal! They literally have THE BEST customer service of any company in any type of business with whom I have ever interacted! When I contact them with a question, I am always made to feel like a valued customer. In addition, each customer service representative has always answered my questions thoroughly, kindly, and professionally. I also like the fact that Aplos listens to its customer base. Over the years (since 2015) that we have been with Aplos, I have seen improvements/additions to the software as a direct result of customer feedback.

Pros

What I like most about the Aplos software are the many features it offers that make the business aspect of our ministry so much easier to handle than it was before. Within Aplos, we get the extremely beneficial multi-level fund accounting, donor management, event registration, website building, etc. As we are growing, we are also applying other features of the software. It just keeps getting better!

Cons

Initial integration of this software into our church usage had its "hiccups" but not because of Aplos. It was a "learn-as-you-go" process for me.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

MP was very difficult to use; and whenever I had a question, I had to pay for technical support!

Aplos Review

I can always get the help we need from Tech. Support.

Pros

Easy to set up and use. Good tech. support.

Cons

It seems a little pricey . Some of the screens do not have enough contrast to be easily read.

Reasons for choosing Aplos

Aplos was much easier to set up for our church use.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

ChurchPro seemed over complex for our needs.

Perfect fit for Churches

Pros

Written for churches by individuals from church/nonprofit world. Training webinars and videos are excellent. Customer service is quickly responsive. Best I have used in 30 years

Cons

No obvious short comings. They are continuing to develop the product and partnering with other products integration

Fund accounting

Bonelle

Aplos is great

The Fund Accounting is most helpful for the churches I help. The monthly reports are great to send to my clients so they can see where their money goes and how much they take in. On some clients, the WePay feature is great for online donations going right into Aplos. I love being able to message Aplos right from the client's account with questions.

Pros

The ease of use is best and the access to help in a timely matter.

Cons

You can't set up Vendors with a specific Account # like in QuickBooks.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

QuickBooks doesn't work well for Non-profit and Fund accounting.

Great Software Great Support

Pros

User friendly, provides fund accounting, integrated online giving, and customer service is great.

Cons

I would like to see some more report features

Aplos provided fund accounting

Reasons for switching to Aplos

Recommended by our Foursquare national office

Bart

Floats to the top

Aplos is doing the job for me. Some things are frustrating, but mostly, it's better than doing things by hand or by spreadsheet. Occasionally odd things happen. For instance, it's now January 17, and the home page is telling me that my YTD income is different from my monthly income. This can't be true in January. Similar things happen in some reports. The balance sheet will say that a fund has X dollars, but the report for that fund will say Y dollars. So there are some quirks to get around, but it's no worse than making a spreadsheet (or other software that knows nothing about fund accounting) behave. I like the reports Aplos generates. Especially at the end of the year, when everyone in our congregation wants a statement for their taxes. It's really just one button. If I were the boss of Aplos, the first thing I'd change is that I'd clean up the wasted screen real-estate. There's a button on the bottom right that has a bad habit of covering half the number I want to see, and pop-up "alerts" occasionally disrupt my work. And the box the pop-ups come from is also wasted screen area. Actually, this box keeps telling me I'm 85% set up. It's wrong. I'm as set up as I want to be. I can't see how to make the box go away, except to buy more product which I don't need. This amounts to a pop-up ad, and not the good kind. So this isn't a glowing review. But software nowadays is written so poorly, that bare competence floats to the top. Aplos is better than anything else I've used, but that's not saying a lot. If they raise the price again, I'm going back to spreadsheets.

Pros

Fairly clean interface. Most reports are close to what I want.

Cons

It's still buggy. Amounts that should match, don't always. The cost has tripled in the last 3 years.

Response from Aplos Software

Hi Bart, If the numbers are off by a few dollars, this may be due to rounding. If you¿d like, our Support Team would be happy to look into this to give you a more specific answer. Please feel free to reach out to our Support Team at support@aplos.com. For the Setup alert: You can click on the Go To Setup button and choose some of the options like, I don¿t want to set Starting Balances. Or, there are feature options that you can say ¿no¿ to, like Contributions. This should help clear that alert. Also, sorry that the bottom right icon is a bit pesky. We want you to be able to contact our Support Team if you ever have questions, so that¿s why it¿s there, but we realize that it can sometimes get in the way. That¿s a suggestion that we¿re happy to pass along to our development team. The Aplos Team

Replied March 2017

Debra

New to Fund Accounting

I do not have another Fund Accounting Software to compare Aplos to, but I can't imagine that anyone could offer better Customer Service. They are very helpful, and help resolve issues. This would be a number one reason for using Aplos, not knowing if other companies provide the same level of Service...I can't say if they are the best, but they are very helpful.

Pros

I really like the Reconciliation process...it is simple to understand and works perfectly. I value the support that Aplos provides. I am new to Fund Accounting, with NO experience at all, but I have been with Aplos for over a year and they are always willing to take the time to help me figure out how to fix what I didn't understand and a good way to proceed.

Cons

I am unhappy that I cannot find a Vendor to do a new A/P Entry..instead have to scroll thru pages to find the one I'm looking for, a simple search would suffice. I also find reporting to be a bit confusing....it is not intuitive...it sometimes takes several steps (that are not obvious) to get the report I need. Additionally, I believe that the price per month should include a second user, for dual control purposes, for instance a second person to do Bank Reconciliations.

Reasons for choosing Aplos

Pricing and ease of use (at least the demo made it feel easy to use)

Reasons for switching to Aplos

I wanted a Fund Accounting Software AND a partner for Payroll.

Sam

Best Fund Accounting Software for Small Non-Profit Organization

Pros

Easy set up. Easy to use. Easy to train new bookkeepers. Processes online donations without a hitch. Our clients like our Aplos reporting. Easy transfer of data previously used on QuickBooks.

Cons

Need to be able to integrate with more apps.

Wendy

APLOS Software for my Small (but growing) Church

The people at APLOS are great to work with. Easy to reach out to, quick to respond, They are really good at listening to my particular need and showing me how APLOS helps with it vs. just a generic response. Also, you can't beat the price. (I got a Black Friday 50% off special for a year). I looked at other options - some were too much for my need (both cost and complexity) and some could be made to work (Quickbooks for example) but were not really designed for a church. This is PERFECT for us.

Pros

I purchased this software to help me take on a new role as treasurer of a small church. Am about 6 weeks into a "practice period" and will wipe out my practice data and start clean in January. It has (almost) everything I could want and some things I did not expect. The people database for church members, vendors, & prospects supports communication and there are robust accounting features (budgeting, bill pay, offerings, etc.). It has predesigned reports of all kinds that can be easily customized. You can import and export data. And it is really easy to use. Clearly designed for non-professionals like me - a volunteer doing a treasurer's job. Loved it from the first time I started playing with it during the free trial period. Also the resources (webinars, academy, one on one support) are great! Have watched several webinars, and chatted with people in customer support several times to get specific guidance/suggestions on my questions.

Cons

Have found only 2 things missing so far: 1) My pastor wants the ability to use the letter/email functions to communicate with members (uses the contact database) without seeing their donation records - and right now that "separation" isn't available. Also in recording donations, I would like to differentiate between cash and check because you need that info to make your bank deposit. APLOS doesn't provide for that. There's a workaround but not a great one. Customer Service made note of both of these needs for future releases.

Terry

Time used: Free Trial

March 2015

Amazing Fund Accounting software for small to medium non-profits!

If you are busy with the stuff that your non-profit is about, and accounting for the organisation is a necessary dragon, then Aplos will be your knight in shining armor to slay it! Having implemented a number of other products for small organisations in the past (Quickbooks, Xero, Sage, MS Dynamics GP) I have to give the award for easiest, quickest & most readily accepted to Aplos. If you want to account for your Funds discretely (separate pots of income) then Aplos just works! Took about an hour to sign up and set up a sandbox (using the trial license) to represent the way my small organisation works - I uncovered a couple of desirable features for product development (see later) but within another 30 minutes I had reports and analysis that would do the job for us so much better than my grumpy accountant! - I showed the software to a user who, after a 5 minute demo, needed no more explanation and was able to enter transactions with multiple expense lines each separately analysed by fund. The user interface is clearly the 'killer' feature - it is so intuitive that I wonder why others didn't think of it (why didn't I think of it?). The transaction input process for most accounting products is the 'ugly baby' of the product - in Aplos it's the wonder child! Some caveats to bring this back to earth... a) The product is currently for the North American market - needs additional features to make it more readily accepted in UK/Europe: 1. Needs a parameterised currency symbol (we don't do dollars!) - but the easy export of reports allows replacement of currency symbol in Excel. 2. Online donations (a great feature!) require a US Bank Account 3. Needs Paypal integration 4. UK giving sites like justgiving.com are very common - integration needed b) Many grant funders want a full budget before grant - we then need to account against the budget elements (e.g. £500 for travel + £5000 for salary). Aplos currently doesn't budget by Fund element (just at Fund level) but the Income Report provides a full breakdown by expense for each Fund (so allowing manual comparison). The free support provided by Aplos is responsive and helpful and I am assured that most of these features are on future development plans. I'm just going to go ahead and sign up for the paid version - I need this software so that I can get on with the purpose of our Charity!! Terry Wilcox Project Director In2Out www.in2out.org.uk

Patty

Aplos far out performs its competition

Overall, this is the best software for the money and I highly recommend it both for the product and the customer service.

Pros

The set up and functionality of the software is wonderfully easy. I've been using it for a little over a year and the security of having it all online and not having to worry about backups or workstation failures is great. Report flexibility is fantastic. I can create any report for any time period with ease. The customer service people are generally very helpful and on the rare occasion that a question doesn't get answered, the second attempt is always successful. But, it's rare to have to call back.

Cons

The only problem is that the donor statements are not posted from any screen other than the contributions screen. You cannot effect the donor statement from A/R, A/P or AJE's. You must then prepare a deposit and mark it to NOT post to the system. While this is a small inconvenience, it is not highlighted in the tutorials and takes a couple head scratching hours to figure out when first using the software. Once understood, it's a simple workaround.

Roslyn

Great Software for Non-profits

Aplos has THE BEST Customer Service team you could ask for! No matter what the issue or who answers the phone, I am always treated professionally and courteously. For example, I recently called because our church was changing our fiscal year from the calendar year to a July-June year. In a matter of minutes, I was on my way with my questions answered! At times when what I wanted wasn't available in the software, I have always been told that my request would be sent to the IT team for review and consideration. I like the fact that Aplos LISTENS to its customers and responds! The webinars and support areas offered are always helpful as well. Lastly, I personally enjoy the humor of the Aplos team; and the occasional contests/prizes are fun, too!

Pros

The software is basically user-friendly.

Cons

Some areas (like events) don't allow me all the options I wish were available.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

Poor components (NOT user-friendly), and Tech Support COST extra!

Robin

Intuitive Software and great support

We have a robust reporting for our church finances. Better than most I've seen and I think it is in most part due to the ability to talk through the needs with Aplos support and get the help on what functionality meets those needs.

Pros

When I came on board as treasurer we were using the software inefficiently and not taking advantage of functionalities that would help us. I worked with the team asking questions about my needs and they translated those needs to functionality. Within a very short time I created funds and tracked financials that gave a much better picture of our finances.

Cons

I was not around for implementation so I am unsure if the problems were the Aplos or GVC team related. Now I understand the software, it is critical to plan the uses than implement .

Brandon

Perfect Solution For A Church Plant

Starting a new church comes with a lot of tasks for a small group of people that are typically spread out between many in larger churches. We didn't have anyone with professional accounting experience, and we didn't need anything complicated to start out. Aplos was the perfect solution! They offered us a discount as a church plant, and got us moving in the right direction. Now four years into the process, Aplos has grown with us. We have been able to easily add others to the account management, add new funds and new features as we have grown, and the customer service has been quick and helpful whenever we have needed it. Some things I like best: *easy to use *the "dashboard" gives a quick read on finances at a glance *fund-based accounting makes it easy to track various donations *customer service is excellent *cloud-based design makes access easy from anywhere Things I would like to see improved: *I would love to be able to integrate payroll with Aplos *Report can be customized, but not always as much as we would like Overall, this is an excellent product for the value and I would recommend it to anyone starting out.

Pros

Ease of use Fund-based accounting Cloud-based design Scalable Excellent customer support

Cons

Wish it included payroll integration Would like to be able to customize reports more

Sherry

Good Software for Beginning Nonprofits

Pros

I like that everything is all together in one spot - donor software, accounting, newletters and online giving forms. I like how when someone gives online through your forms that it automatically incorporates into your accounting and saves info from the giver into your contacts. Their customer service and support is their beacon of light. Extreme strong point. It's almost as if you have nonprofit accountant on your staff to answer your questions. They answer you quickly, and their answers are always helpful. And often times they've logged in and completely helped me fix an issue. This is the best thing I love about them and something that makes them completely unique. This was a game changer for me as a brand new nonprofit and didn't know what I was doing. I can't say enough about this! This is what makes me recommend them to everyone I know that's a nonprofit leader.

Cons

The newsletter email templates and online giving forms are very template-y and don't give you a lot of control. The final product can help you get information out, however it looks pretty amateurish, which in turn makes your nonprofit/your brand, look amateurish - which is more important than most people know. If Aplos could follow constant contact's lead on design formatting they would be top notch. The other thing I don't like is often I'm fundraising for events and have options for customers to pick (example : I want to buy tickets for an event and a tshirt for two people), or want them to be able to buy multiples of items and it really needs somewhat of a "cart" option for online giving forms. Third, I get lots of complaints from customers about the transaction errors which make it hard to give. I get this a lot. Which can hinder givers, often they won't go back again and give again when they get an email way later that the transaction didn't go through, so you lose donations. I've addressed this with them several times, but there hasn't been any resolution. I think it has to do with that the provider they use does a micro-transaction to the bank and then banks don't approve it.

Brian

Great Church Software with wonderful customer service

We have been very satisfied with Aplos as our main accounting software. The customer service has been top notch and many of our suggestions about improving the software have been implemented into new versions. Hoping for a more robust Contacts module (email, texting, more information tracking) in the future!

Pros

Its online. Multiple user access. Great reporting. Easy to use. Great customer service.

Cons

The Contacts module is very limited - would be great to have more contact management tools (email, texting, grouping, tracking) so that we wouldn't have to have a separate software for that. Other software was somewhat disappointing - hasn't always worked correctly and a bit confusing on how it integrates with Aplos.

Lisa

An excellent accounting program for Churches!

Pros

I have been using Quickbooks for our church for many years. It does not handle funds accounting or tracking of giving very well. I was so happy to have found Aplos! It is a true funds accounting program and tracks giving seamlessly! It is a robust program that I believe excels where Quickbooks falls behind. I highly recommend it!

Cons

No real cons so far. When members split their giving between multiple purposes, I'd like to be able to add them without having to add another row.

Reasons for choosing Aplos

Aplos is a much more robust funds accounting program than Churchtrac.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

Quickbooks is not a true funds accounting program

Linda

Aplos Fund Accounting

I have used the basic version Aplos for our small nonprofit foodshelf for nearly a year. I am a novice at accounting, so I started with the fun, informative teaching videos and it all made sense. Initially setting up the accounts we needed took some thought, but it was up and running in a short time. I'm able to enter transactions quickly, make changes easily as needed, and run all the reports I need for our payroll taxes. I love the fact that it doesn't use more complicated terminology, like "customer, vendor, employee" like QB, because that's not what we call our donors and suppliers. I like the check printing function, too, but it would be great if Aplos could print deposit slips. I have to re-enter into QB and then print it out, or do a handwritten deposit slip. Other than that, I am very happy with Aplos. Have not needed customer support yet, except to ask if it had a deposit slip printing function. My answer was prompt and courteous. Our Board was pleased that we were able to get a discount on the monthly rate since we have a small budget, and the fact that Aplos is cloud-based means both the treasurer and foodshelf manager can access the software without going onsite. Definitely a PLUS! Bank reconciliation is a breeze, too.

Pros

I liked the ease of navigating the different functions, ease of setting up accounts and budget, the cloud-based format, the number and types of reports that meet all our needs, and the easy bank reconciliation function. Our small nonprofit got a monthly discount. Training videos very to-the-point and entertaining too.

Cons

I wish Aplos had a deposit slip printing function in the basic version - not sure if they do in the upgrade?

Dr Rev Brian

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Aplos Software Review: Why it's the best Software for Small Non-Profits

I would recommend it to anyone who needs both an accounting and donor management solution for their non-profit organization.

Pros

A complete package that handles both your accounting needs and donor management needs. Is very affordable. Aplos has a program for new non-profits that makes it even more affordable. Has a program that does email marketing for you and collects emails thus building your donor base. Lets you design online web pages to post. Form 990 Reporting. Excellent Customer Service and will schedule regular calls with you to train you on the software. However it's easier to use than QuickBooks. Directly links to your checking account so that your balances are updated continuously. Takes online payments through WePay Can manage up to 5000 contacts. Contribution statements emailed to your donors. Can Integrate with Paypal

Denise

Time used: Free Trial

August 2014

Aplos is perfect for Non-Profits who want easy bookkeeping.

Pros

It is affordable for every non-profit. It is very simple and basic to use, and they have great customer service. They saw a need for non-profits to have an easier way of doing their finances other than Quickbooks and met that need at a very affordable price, which is very important to non profits. Simplicity is important because often, the bookkeeper is a volunteer and does not have the experience required to use a cumbersome program like QuickBooks. I like that they allow you to use if free for a month first to try it out. We have never experienced a time when we could not get on the Aplos website. I am in an accountant's office, and I love the fact that I can go online anytime to check on my client's progress with their transactions at no cost to us! This is the sign of a non-greedy company who is here to meet a need.

Cons

The reports available are good and basic, but maybe a few more reports would be helpful, like a cash flow report. Also, since this is a cloud-based program (only available for use over the internet), this may be a downside for some. Simply save all your monthly reports and transactions easily by downloading them into an Excel spreadsheet, and you have all your information on your computer hard drive.

April

The Aplos Advantage

Our church accounting is much more efficient with Aplos. It is easy to set up and use. I'm able to keep track of multiple accounts with ease. Two of us use the software almost daily and have never had any issues or hiccups.

Pros

I love that this software is cloud based. All entries are automatically saved and easy to correct or delete. Because it is "in the cloud" I can access from anywhere.

Cons

Instead of using accounting terminology, they use simpler words or methods. It all makes sense, but I had to get used to words such as tags and purposes.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

Easier to use and great tech support.

Response from Aplos

Thank you, April, for the review! We are happy to hear that you like our product and our tech support.

Replied August 2020