All Aplos Reviews

Don

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Great for church finances and more

Susan

Great for our small Condo Association

They are incredibly responsive, and when we initially set up the Accounts, they spent the time with me to help set us up based on our needs.

Pros

Bank Integration is a huge benefit. As the Treasurer of a small condominium association (volunteer job), I only need to spend a couple of hours a month on our financials. Running reports for our condo meetings and taxes is a breeze.

Cons

Its not completely made for condo association accounting, but we've been able to retrofit our needs. Funds doesn't exactly translate to the accounts we track, as we really do have 3 separate bank accounts. This requires an extra step in our monthly recons, but its not awful.

Dina

Aplos is a great tool for Non Profits!

We are MUCH more efficient since we started using Aplos. It is so much easier to do every single function in the company now, and we can each look up information with no difficulty.

Pros

I enjoy the ease of use of Aplos more than anything.

Cons

No Auction site management system incorporated

Reasons for choosing Aplos

Because of the incredible customer service, ease of use, and ability to customize to our needs.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

Because we were all losing valuable time trying to figure it out and there was no tech support available for a reasonable price.

William

Very Difficult and Complicated, With Poor Tech Support

Not good. I need help, and the support never provides help that works.

Pros

Had potential for non-profits vs QuickBooks

Cons

Bank integration does not work. I've used QuickBooks for non-profits, with integration that works fine. In Aplos, what shows up in Aplos doesn't match what the banks say. Tech support answers fairly quickly, however, they come up with all kinds of solutions that don't work. And different people will offer a different solution. None of them work. Then they drop it leaving me hanging. I may go back to QuickBooks which once you get a few words down (business terms vs non-profit) it is actually quite easy, and more dependable.

Reasons for choosing Aplos

I believed the Aplos advertising, and the trial offer of a low price.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

I believed the Aplos advertising that their app is so much better. It isn't.

Response from Aplos

Hi William! Thank you for your feedback, and I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've had concerning bank integration. You also mentioned using QuickBooks instead, so if you don't mind I'll briefly speak to both. QuickBooks creates and maintains its own bank integration feature, whereas Aplos has a partnership with Plaid and Finicity, which are industry leaders in the space. Plaid and Finicity both connect with the financial institutions and pass the information back to Aplos. We have very little control over the information received. However, we do have a great relationship with both partners, and consistently work with them on improving the experience for our customers. As for using QuickBooks, this may be a better fit if you do not need Fund Accounting and donor management. Our Customer Success Director, Alex Acree, will be reaching out personally to help troubleshoot the bank integration issues you're seeing. If you have any other questions or feedback please let us know.

Replied June 2020

Lisa

An excellent accounting program for Churches!

Pros

I have been using Quickbooks for our church for many years. It does not handle funds accounting or tracking of giving very well. I was so happy to have found Aplos! It is a true funds accounting program and tracks giving seamlessly! It is a robust program that I believe excels where Quickbooks falls behind. I highly recommend it!

Cons

No real cons so far. When members split their giving between multiple purposes, I'd like to be able to add them without having to add another row.

Reasons for choosing Aplos

Aplos is a much more robust funds accounting program than Churchtrac.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

Quickbooks is not a true funds accounting program

Great Software Great Support

Pros

User friendly, provides fund accounting, integrated online giving, and customer service is great.

Cons

I would like to see some more report features

Aplos provided fund accounting

Reasons for switching to Aplos

Recommended by our Foursquare national office

Julie

May 2022

Great Experience

We have a positive experience with Aplos

Pros

The Aplos software has served us well the 10 months we have been using it. It allows us to use the fund accounting process for our church. It is user friendly, customer service has been quick to answer our questions, and reporting options are easy to read/understand. Aplos offers training which proves to be helpful.

Cons

We are still within our learning curve for the Aplos software.

Reasons for switching to Aplos

The old software was cumbersome, did not use fund accounting, and did not produce helpful reports that were easy for our board to read.

Leia

Working with Vince

Please see the PROS comment. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] WAS THE BOMB!

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use for the most part. But what made it even better was the fact that [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] literally helped assist me with some features in my books I wasn't sure of. I was so confused, and he was SO PATIENT! I love being connected to great customer service and overall great people!

Cons

I hate that I have reconnect my bank account on a monthly basis

Reasons for switching to Aplos

Quickbooks has terrible customer service and was not intuitive!

Roger

My review . .

Overall experience . ... nothing but favorable, and to the Nth degree

Pros

Comprehensive and easy to follow . . . but I have an advanced accounting background, so it may not be easy for some.

Cons

I have no cons at the moment. I have no "like least" comments.

Reasons for choosing Aplos

I needed a 100% payroll function and, coupled with Gusto, Aplos meets this need.

Bart

Floats to the top

Aplos is doing the job for me. Some things are frustrating, but mostly, it's better than doing things by hand or by spreadsheet. Occasionally odd things happen. For instance, it's now January 17, and the home page is telling me that my YTD income is different from my monthly income. This can't be true in January. Similar things happen in some reports. The balance sheet will say that a fund has X dollars, but the report for that fund will say Y dollars. So there are some quirks to get around, but it's no worse than making a spreadsheet (or other software that knows nothing about fund accounting) behave. I like the reports Aplos generates. Especially at the end of the year, when everyone in our congregation wants a statement for their taxes. It's really just one button. If I were the boss of Aplos, the first thing I'd change is that I'd clean up the wasted screen real-estate. There's a button on the bottom right that has a bad habit of covering half the number I want to see, and pop-up "alerts" occasionally disrupt my work. And the box the pop-ups come from is also wasted screen area. Actually, this box keeps telling me I'm 85% set up. It's wrong. I'm as set up as I want to be. I can't see how to make the box go away, except to buy more product which I don't need. This amounts to a pop-up ad, and not the good kind. So this isn't a glowing review. But software nowadays is written so poorly, that bare competence floats to the top. Aplos is better than anything else I've used, but that's not saying a lot. If they raise the price again, I'm going back to spreadsheets.

Pros

Fairly clean interface. Most reports are close to what I want.

Cons

It's still buggy. Amounts that should match, don't always. The cost has tripled in the last 3 years.

Response from Aplos Software

Hi Bart, If the numbers are off by a few dollars, this may be due to rounding. If you¿d like, our Support Team would be happy to look into this to give you a more specific answer. Please feel free to reach out to our Support Team at support@aplos.com. For the Setup alert: You can click on the Go To Setup button and choose some of the options like, I don¿t want to set Starting Balances. Or, there are feature options that you can say ¿no¿ to, like Contributions. This should help clear that alert. Also, sorry that the bottom right icon is a bit pesky. We want you to be able to contact our Support Team if you ever have questions, so that¿s why it¿s there, but we realize that it can sometimes get in the way. That¿s a suggestion that we¿re happy to pass along to our development team. The Aplos Team

Replied March 2017

Kassie

May 2022

So easy to install and use!

We previously had a vendor that did all of our financial services including payroll, general ledger, bill pay and reporting. It was very expensive and the delay in being able to get the reporting was a big problem. We were able to switch to Aplos and take over all of that very easily. It is actually less labor doing it ourselves on Aplos than it was to supply all the data to our previous vendor that was doing it for us. Love this software!

Pros

The software is extremely intuitive. Tutorials are VERY good. Online support is very good. When all of that didn't answer my questions, I was thrilled to find that I can call and get the answer from very knowledgeable associates without having to wait on hold for more than a minute or two. The set up was very easy. Changes are very easy to make. The reporting is very flexible and easy to use.

Cons

I have only a couple of minor annoyances. There is a bug with the date range functionality on reporting when putting in a custom date that causes you to have to do it twice before it works properly. The other minor thing is that you can't customize reports over and above the filter and layout options that are offered. But, that is minor because the report flexibility is still very good.

Reasons for choosing Aplos

Quickbooks didn't have the fund accounting options we needed and Sage was WAY more expensive. Aplos gave us everything we needed at a very reasonable price.

Perfect fit for Churches

Pros

Written for churches by individuals from church/nonprofit world. Training webinars and videos are excellent. Customer service is quickly responsive. Best I have used in 30 years

Cons

No obvious short comings. They are continuing to develop the product and partnering with other products integration

Fund accounting

Linda

Aplos Fund Accounting

I have used the basic version Aplos for our small nonprofit foodshelf for nearly a year. I am a novice at accounting, so I started with the fun, informative teaching videos and it all made sense. Initially setting up the accounts we needed took some thought, but it was up and running in a short time. I'm able to enter transactions quickly, make changes easily as needed, and run all the reports I need for our payroll taxes. I love the fact that it doesn't use more complicated terminology, like "customer, vendor, employee" like QB, because that's not what we call our donors and suppliers. I like the check printing function, too, but it would be great if Aplos could print deposit slips. I have to re-enter into QB and then print it out, or do a handwritten deposit slip. Other than that, I am very happy with Aplos. Have not needed customer support yet, except to ask if it had a deposit slip printing function. My answer was prompt and courteous. Our Board was pleased that we were able to get a discount on the monthly rate since we have a small budget, and the fact that Aplos is cloud-based means both the treasurer and foodshelf manager can access the software without going onsite. Definitely a PLUS! Bank reconciliation is a breeze, too.

Pros

I liked the ease of navigating the different functions, ease of setting up accounts and budget, the cloud-based format, the number and types of reports that meet all our needs, and the easy bank reconciliation function. Our small nonprofit got a monthly discount. Training videos very to-the-point and entertaining too.

Cons

I wish Aplos had a deposit slip printing function in the basic version - not sure if they do in the upgrade?

Denise

Time used: Free Trial

August 2014

Aplos is perfect for Non-Profits who want easy bookkeeping.

Pros

It is affordable for every non-profit. It is very simple and basic to use, and they have great customer service. They saw a need for non-profits to have an easier way of doing their finances other than Quickbooks and met that need at a very affordable price, which is very important to non profits. Simplicity is important because often, the bookkeeper is a volunteer and does not have the experience required to use a cumbersome program like QuickBooks. I like that they allow you to use if free for a month first to try it out. We have never experienced a time when we could not get on the Aplos website. I am in an accountant's office, and I love the fact that I can go online anytime to check on my client's progress with their transactions at no cost to us! This is the sign of a non-greedy company who is here to meet a need.

Cons

The reports available are good and basic, but maybe a few more reports would be helpful, like a cash flow report. Also, since this is a cloud-based program (only available for use over the internet), this may be a downside for some. Simply save all your monthly reports and transactions easily by downloading them into an Excel spreadsheet, and you have all your information on your computer hard drive.

Vickey

Aplos is Great for Churches and NonProfits

Even with the bank integration issues with some of my clients and the lack of apps that connect, I still highly recommend this awesome accounting and donation tracking software!

Pros

I love the simplicity of using Apolos. It is a great choice for non-accountants! I love the "tags" for tracking fundraisers, programs, projects, etc.

Cons

Not very applications integrate with it such as Hubdoc and Bill.com that I use with my bookkeeping clients. I also have some issues with the bank integration.

Stephanie

Easy to Use Software for Non profits

I really liked the software and the compatibility to link it with your bank account. This software actually does assist with mailing out info to donors and setting up recurring donations etc.

Pros

I liked the ease of use and the fact that you could chat with representatives to assist with any questions. They also provided free webinars often to assist with fundraising tactics and other things.

Cons

Well if you utilize their promotions it is affordable but if not it can be a little costly for a starting non profit.

Sam