Clio

Clio Reviews

1,254 Reviews

• icon"I have to say the Cleo support and help section is spectacular and one of the best I've ever come across. They have a clear academy which offers training on specific things you can do in the software."
  • icon"Clio Manage and Grow have been excellent additions to our practice. We especially love the integrations with other programs that we use."
  • icon"Lastly, the support staff with Clio is always friendly, proactive, and responsive. If we are ever experiencing a problem with Clio, their support team helps immediately to resolve the issue."
  • icon"Document automation is TERRIBLE and invoicing just means linking to Quickbooks."
  • icon"Billing is cumbersome and inefficient, lacking in options to suspend printing for those clients who are in collections."
  • icon"My client started having trouble uploading her documents to me. Assignments went missing, and so deadlines were missed."

Browse all Clio Reviews

• Have you used Clio and would like to share your experience with others?

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,245 reviews

phillip

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

Clio is the Future

Mazyar

Clio Practice Management is the Best

Pros

Clio offers features necessary for practice management and operation right out of the box; then goes a step further by offering an integration ecosystem that makes it an indispensable part of a successful practice.

Cons

While Clio offers the minimum viable environment for online practice, the rapid growth of the company has left gaps and subtle shortcomings that veteran users will notice, while new users will be dazzled by the way it changes their practice.

J.P.

Industry: Law Practice

Clio is the best option for a solo or small firm law practice

After 3 years, I am still working at discarding habits and practices built up over 25 years as a practicing attorney to better incorporate Clio's feature into my daily work flow. One of Clio's driving philosophy's is to make lawyers more productive with their time, and make lawyers services more accessible to persons that need legal advice. Clio's focus on providing multiple access points, including mobile apps designed from the ground up with these two goals in mind, will pay off for both Clio and my practice in the long run.

Pros

The Clio platform is not intended to be a closed, proprietary system. Instead, it forms the foundation for the day to day management of leads, clients, time, documents, and billing, supplemented by almost 200 third party integrations, with new offerings coming on line each month. Clio offers unlimited cloud storage and IOS/Android apps making all of your firm information, clients, and documents available 24/7. Clio continues to innovate and as the leading provider to small/medium law firms throughout the world, I don't worry about whether they will be in business a few years from now. Finally, all, yes all, of your data saved in Clio is easily exportable should you decide to change to a different vendor.

Cons

Clio's growth means that feature changes must be more fully vetted as they are used by more than 150,000 legal professionals. As they broaden their perspective to encompass larger firms, the pace of change may continue to be more deliberate. The movement and management of files without a third party integration, such as FasterLaw, is cumbersome. Clio's own integrations with Office365 for emails and calendaring remain a work in progress.

Reasons for choosing Clio

Largest user base and least likely to get assimilated or go out of business, forcing another vendor change.

Reasons for switching to Clio

At the time I decided to look at alternatives, in 2017, the product was getting worse, not better.

Stephen

Fantastic Practice Management Solution

Pros

Clio's intuitive design is easy to use for anyone from the tech savy to the "how do I turn this thing on" person. They are constantly adding features and functionality to the software solution making the administrative side of practicing law much easier and less time consuming. Clio's support team is always quick to respond and is always friendly and helpful. The growing list of integrations is definite plus and gives us the ability to extend the already great functionality to the next level. And if you are into coding, you can always create a custom integration to suit your needs.

Cons

Really the only complaint I have about Clio is the reporting capabilities. While it has some great canned reports within the interface, there is no ability to customize reports to massage out information that would be useful to my practice. We make do, of course, but this has been my complaint for some time now. Last time I checked there was a pay integration that allowed for more robust reporting but adding yet another subscription isn't appealing when it would be relatively easy for Clio to add this capability to their platform.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Houdini was no longer meeting the needs of my practice, I was growing and found the interface to be difficult for anyone to use but me. Clio checked all the boxes and seemed to be well supported. Turns out the choice was the right one.

February 2022

Confused on rating

Contacting customer support on the items I would like to be added, all I receive is a canned message, where they apparently agree on how it would benefit their program, but they are simply customer support. Wait, they will bring this to their developers, or I will speak to my manager and will follow up. Been 4 years, since I have asked these basic requests to no avail.

Pros

It is nice that support is available 24/5, the ease of the use of the program.

Cons

Ability to have more control of the ABA Litigation Code Set, whether to add or remove specific codes. The ability to change multiple billing entries for Text Codes all in one time, opposed to doing it multiple times.

Jane

April 2022

A great billing software for my increasingly virtual legal practice

Good software! I find it an indispensable part of my practice these days.

Pros

Our firm had used Timeslips for timekeeping and billing in the past before switching to Clio a few years ago. Timeslips was simply outdated and cumbersome, not to mention that we had no tech support. After having switched to using Clio, I was able to use the software to email clients directly and have the emails come from our firm email account via Clio without always having to involve the office manager for billing my invoices. If the clients have questions, they will know to direct their questions to the office manager, who is otherwise in charge of general accounting matters. Additionally, I love that I can always reach out to Clio's tech support for answers as to user issues or questions, and the services have always been pretty prompt and spot-on.

Cons

I remember there were some data migration issues when we transitioned from Timeslips to Clio. It has been a while, but I recall that at least some of the client data like their addresses didn't look quite right when it was pulled over, and I basically had to start over with entering the information in Clio.

Reasons for choosing Clio

The firm as a whole had evaluated Clio and at least a partner in the firm as well as our office manager went through some training initially to become better acquainted. The firm made a decision to switch, and everyone agreed that the software was a better product than our previous billing software.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Our firm licenses were expiring, and there was a decision that needed to be made as to whether to spend money to renew or to switch to a different software. I am happy that we ended up switching.

December 2021

Best overall practice management product for legal professionals

I love and hate Clio at the same time. The product is excellent, but there are a few areas that are in dire need of improvement. These include Clio Grow, payment plans (you have to set these up manually), and the inability to use the API to document payments and other bank transactions.

Pros

Clio is one of a few legal practice management software options that incldes an API to integrate with other products. This expands the functionality of Clio greatly, as you can connect your Clio data to outside sources, and vice versa.

Cons

Clio Grow has been a disappointment since its release. There have been promises of improving the product and integration with Clio Manage (these should never have been two separate services), but nothing seems to have happened on that front. Clio Grow is like a toddler. It can do a few things, but it's not ready for the real world.

Beau

Clio Review

It has been really good and the team is really responsive.

Pros

I really like the tasks feature that helps move client matters forward efficiently and smoothly by allowing our users to delegate and organize their work

Cons

Some parts (especially Grow and Clio Docs as well as portals for clients)

Reasons for choosing Clio

It was a better solution, especially in canada

Reasons for switching to Clio

Clio was a better all around solution

Shavon

Get Paid Faster

We are so much more organized and we get paid way quicker. We have developed systems and processes with Clio for a good work flow."

Pros

Cons

There are a lot of features, it's not always intuitive to know how to do certain things.

Reasons for switching to Clio

I wanted an integrated CRM that had more features and better credit card processing rates.

Jessica

We love Clio!

Pros

"We capture more billable time using CLIO and it has made management of trust funds super easy. It is also easy for all users to create new matters and input new clients. All users individually bill their own time so we are even more efficient as a firm. WE LOVE CLIO!"

Cons

It would be great if you could print reports from a client's dashboard for that client.

Erin

One stop shop

Exceptional customer service.

Pros

I love that it is a one stop shop! Everything integrates easily and

Cons

I would love an app for Clio Grow & for it to be a bit more user friendly. Cliodrive needs a bit more work to be user friendly offline.

Reasons for choosing Clio

Came down to having all the features I liked in one spot!

Cosmolex I as too slow

Clair

March 2022

Easy to use and super efficient

[Clio] is very intuitive so we are spending more time on case management and less time trying to figure out software. Our last product was very time consuming and often didn't work, so many wasted hours (not billing) were spent on the phone with customer support or re-entering information. In the rare event that we have a problem, Clio support staff is always very quick and efficient so we are right back on track."

Pros

It is easy to use and navigate, tasks feature, calendaring is easy.

Cons

Wish there could be a way to attach documents to Tasks feature.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Too many software glitches with Zola

Baleigh Anne

Transformation of the Century

Clio has extremely helped our firm with various ways. The Clio Manage portion we use every single day, it helps keep our firm in order by the activities, tasks, notes, and being able to share the file with the clients through the portal. I truly can not express enough positive words about Clio, and how it has transformed our firm.

Pros

Our favorite features and what we love the most of Clio is the bills, notes, integrations, and calendaring features. Truthfully, there is not a feature that Clio Manage offers that our office does not use on a daily basis. Additionally, the option to integrate other apps with clio have been extremely helpful. Case management, billing, and tasks are easy to manage, keep track of, and be aware of upcoming deadlines that are approaching. Lastly, the support staff with Clio is always friendly, proactive, and responsive. If we are ever experiencing a problem with Clio, their support team helps immediately to resolve the issue.

Cons

There truly is not a feature in clio that I like the least. Thank you!

Monica

March 2022

I wish we'd switched sooner.

Clio has streamlined our timekeeping and shaved time off our billing. The communication tools and e-sign options have allowed us to effectively manage our cases from a single platform rather than spreading across multiple platforms.

Pros

Once we had our database and customizations up and running, I have been able to handle all aspects of my practice (client-related and administrative) from any location.

Cons

The platform requires training and not all of the processes are intuitive, but once you learn, it is extremely easy to use.

William

Big Flaw in Clio

Use for calendaring and billing.

Pros

Easy to Bill; like the app; .........................

Cons

Clio has some serious shortcomings. However, when I ask that they fix them, I am given a link to a site to "request a new feature" where apparently they wait until enough people complain before fixing a problem. This is a problem because they don't tell you about the problems and you have to find them yourself.

Reasons for choosing Clio

Was not aware of Clio problems.

easier billing

Joseph

Simply the Best

Excellent, from purchasing, to use, and customer service.

Pros

Clio is the best practice management software on the market—hands down. We love its seamless integrations between billing and case management.

Cons

While Clio Manage is a highly-developed product, Clio Grow has fallen from cutting edge and needs additional work.

Reasons for choosing Clio

Clio has a much better interface and deeper capabilities with tasks and documents.

Christopher

March 2022

Makes much of my solo practice firm admin and billing easy

I've used Clio for years now and it lowers the admin burden quite a bit.

Pros

The billing is great and the case management is easy and intuitive. I like that I don't have to take the time with updates and that it leverages the cloud.

Cons

The document management and document sharing/ediscovery

Ashley

Clio streamlines everything

Pros

Clio makes it so easy to have all the information in one place. I can easily file emails, documents, keep track of hours and expenses, and all contact information for each file. The calendar also integrates with Outlook so you aren't inputting things twice.

Cons

It would be nice to have a feature on the Contacts main screen to have more categories for contacts rather than just by people or companies, like banks, accountants, other law firms, etc.

Gus

March 2022

Helps my business convert invoices into payment!

I have only ever used Clio but it is incredibly user friendly and powerful. My clients love to pay by credit card to earn points, so I'm typically paid within HOURS of sending my invoice. It's fantastic!

Pros

Great customer support. Depth of services. Intuitive user interface.

Cons

I wish Clio Grow immediately communicated with Clio Manage instantaneously.

Word of mouth

Heather

I've used Clio Manage for 6+ Years and Clio Grow for 2+ Years

I've used Clio since opening my own firm. Overall, I'm happy with their products and feel confident that I can get "at a glance" information on my active cases as well as my leads quickly. And, I can dive deeper into any particular matter or contact easily. I do wish they were a bit more tailored to small/solo firm practice - particularly in terms of the time investment in set-up and cost per license.

Pros

Clio offers nearly comprehensive lead and case management services. Their support staff is responsive and if you engage them in a conversation about your firm's needs - they are eager to listen & learn. Since I began using it, Clio has steadily widened their offerings that are real value-adds. Their annual conference is a great networking & learning event.

Cons

Both products, but Grow especially, are very time-consuming in the initial set-up phase. Both products could be more robust for practice areas that don't involve litigation. Their support staff is readily available but in my experience can only assist in solving my issue about 10% of the time. Often some features I view as key are not available and it's hard to determine how the upvoting process of feature requests actually works. The pricing structure is frustrating and could benefit from adding a different tier for restricted or limited users (like paralegals and admins). While all the features and new additions are nice, as a solo practice attorney I often find myself unable to take advantage of them due to the time involved in learning about & implementing them.

Reasons for choosing Clio

Interaction with the sales reps and recommendations from fellow attorneys.

Peggy

Industry: Law Practice

Cleo will solve all your law firm problems

My overall experience with Cleo has been fantastic and has changed how I do my daily job for the better. It has made life at work much easier and less stressful. It has allowed me to free up time that's better spent on creating documents forming businesses etc.

Pros

I loved Cleo from the moment a representative gave us an overview of the software and what it had to offer. After that demonstration I couldn't wait to try the software. I love that Cleo allows you to customize the program to your specific law firms needs. There is an enormous amount of ability to customize clients billing and matters. I've never found a software like this one before nor one that allows you so much freedom to make it your own. There are two sections to Cleo Cleo grow and Cleo manage. Cleo grow allows you to enter potential new clients and track their progress as to whether they hire the law firm get referred out or don't hire the law firm. It has saved me from keeping up with two separate spreadsheets which allows me more time to work on important tasks. Once in Cleo grow you can move a client over to Cleo manage once they hire you. Once in Cleo grow everything about your client and their case is all contained on their own individual dashboard. Within that dashboard you can store communications their documents their payment transactions emails billing their time they're expenses etc. And because of the categories you can customize I'm able to enter the important information needed for their particular case and it's no farther than one click away. I have to say the Cleo support and help section is spectacular and one of the best I've ever come across. They have a clear academy which offers training on specific things you can do in the software.

Cons

The only thing I found so far that I'm not fond of with the software is the flat rate billing. Our Law Firm wants to keep track of the time spent on a case even if it's for flat fee. I'm still trying to find a way to best show this on an invoice and after researching Cleo help section they don't seem to have a real clear method of doing it.

Reasons for choosing Clio

Once again we went straight to Cleo because it was so highly recommended. Once we looked over the software features and spoke with a representative we were sold on the product and had no need to look further.

Reasons for switching to Clio

We made the switch because time 59 was not serving our needs. Even though we were using this software I still had to keep multiple reports outside of the software to keep up with my clients in their cases.

Amy

Satisfied Clio user for 5+ years, recently purchased for additional firm

I am very satisfied with Clio as an online time management option. If you want/need to be 100% in-the-cloud, I would choose and recommend this program most highly to other firms. I prefer it to Bill4Time, CosmoLex, TimeSlips (not online). It also has things I like better than Prolaw (which also is not online). I don't use many of the advanced features Clio offers like integrations, Clio payments or even calendar, tasks because of the way may firms are set up. So, I can't speak to those features.

Pros

I like Clio's simplicity and intuitiveness best. It really is the easiest time management program I have used. If you want to get up and running, like, literally, now, you can purchase Clio online with a push of a button and have open matters and clients/contact in minutes. I originally chose this product 5+ years ago for a small firm I manage, after looking at most of the online time management products on the market. I chose it specifically because it seemed the easiest in which to enter time. One of the attys I work with isn't great with a keyboard. Clio time entry required the least amount of effort, was the easiest to navigate and simplest to look at. But after using Clio, as well as, other online time management products (I manage a few small law firms), I really appreciate the easy of creating and EDITING invoices, which I do extensively at my firms. Lastly, I recently utilized Clio's FREE migration services to move from another online software, which I did not like. The migration took one hour on the phone, one day for them to migrate, and was pretty seamless! I've migrated data a few times (Prolaw and CosmoLex) and this was by FAR the easiest. The customer service is always great, even though I don't have to use it often because Clio is so simple to use.

Cons

Only 1. I haven't mastered LEDES ebililng on Clio yet. At one of my firms, we do only LEDES98 ebilling. If you don't know what this is, stop reading, you will not experience this minor Con. I am having trouble perfecting the LEDES98 txt files and uploading them. Granted, this is my first month of e-billing on Clio at this firm, so I'm sure customer service will correct it for me. It's just that a few other time management programs I have used had no LEDES glitches and uploaded perfectly the first time. The price is also high for small firms. But all online billing programs are.

Reasons for choosing Clio

Simply because of ease of use of user interface (and all the other reasons stated above).

Reasons for switching to Clio

At both firms, attys wanted to be 100% cloud-based. At the firm I've used Clio for 5+ years, we used TimeSlips prior. At the firm I have used Clio for only 30 days, I used CosmoLex for 60 days and REALLY didn't like it so I made the horribly painful decision to switch 2x. Prior to CosmoLex, we had used Prolaw for 20+ years, which I loved, but it wasn't cloud-based.

Lindsay

Industry: Law Practice

Great software and user friendly!

My overall experience has been great! They are always making sure to take the next step in integrations and constantly keep their software up to date and secure.

Pros

I liked how the IT team literally walked me through the entire set-up/integration. To be 100% honest, they recovered & transferred my crashed billing entries from Timeslips into their system. There are so many positives re: Clio software that I cannot pick what I like most; however, the Quick Bill & Payment Plan features are very convenient. Oh, I can't write a review and not mention the LawPay integration. That is also a great feature!

Cons

I hate when I am asked for instructions on setting up their client portal because I have no instructions to give them. I wish Clio had a .pdf that I could hand to every new client. I also wish there were more options re: billing history printouts for the Court. This is VERY important when asking for ATTY fees.

Reasons for choosing Clio

I chose Clio because of the support team.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Timeslips crashed and they would not help me unless I upgraded.

Richard

Industry: Law Practice

Split personality software - two steps for the function of one

Clio allow you to generate bills - take payments online - and has a rudimentary accounting system.

Pros

Clio is quite robust with many functions geared for law offices. Much of the thrust is for multiple lawyer offices ( which makes sense) and some also work for solo firms (my office is a solo office). There is a forms component which is poorly integrated with Clio. It does allow you to create an online fillable form - but the steps to have that information fed into your database for the practice is cumbersome and not intuitive. Yo are using two independent programs - which is unlike both Practicve Panther and My Case. In the other two the feed into the database is direct - no two programs - no multiple steps to move rom one database to another.

Cons

As mentioned, the multiple step s needed to use the forms - and the cost for that portion of the platform - make this a terrible choice. If you want to use forms as questionares and to populate your database - and update the database - by client input - this is definitely NOT the platform to use.

Reasons for choosing Clio

I was told the forms were integrated - they are not - and so I will be migrating away again

Reasons for switching to Clio

Originally I was a Clio user - they had no forms and there were some other issues. Practive Pnther is a bit slow - apparently the result of being on a microsoft backbone. Still is (I use both now while transitioning). MyCase was the first one i used - but the ability to control the look of the bills is nonexistent - but it is quite fast.

Þorsteinn

clio law DATA management

Support easy super good. Clio fixed problems with non english characters in days, Timemattes did not fix it in 20 years we have been complaining. Clio has extremely good search features and all sorts of filtering. For instance universal search that goes through matters, contacts, events, notes, tasks, time/expenses logs, documents content, doc, names, and communications (emails, sec. mess, phone log). clio portal for clients, e sign easy to make form-documents connects to IP phone etc. Faster law is a must I would say. To make a great package even better we subscribed also to Faster Law which has done a fantastic add on to Clio. There you get tools to capture your time automatically, the programs keeps track on how long you spend working on case files, e mails etc. in different cases and suggests billable time for that. There is a lot more like file handling, better way to link e mails, save and link attachments and files, you can explore your files on Clio’s serves in you file explorer.

Pros

For us the program has changed everything in the workflow to the better. In our opinion Clio’s forte is how flexible it is. Every law firm has its own different way of organizing workflow and Clio can accommodate for that, at least our whims and quirks which we have abundant of. The program is like potty in your hand. You mold and sculp the program according to your own special needs in the workflow. The only barrier is your own imagination. You decide how information is inserted, in what order and form and how it is presented. You make your own work procedures. You can organize and make chains of tasks beforehand and set the relevant type of chain of tasks to fit the case you are working on. Then, there and now, the future workflow is decided and set for that case.

Cons

You can not copy matters/cases and clients. It is not easy to move data fram TM to clio. We decided not to to it. Integration between outlook calander and clio calander does not work, it is so slow it is not usable. But the integration between google cal and clio cal is excellent.

Reasons for choosing Clio

Clio is flexible. Very stapple and predictable. Clio is easy to manage and learn. Excellent support. Handles non english characters well.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Time Matters is old fashioned, originally written for DOS and has restrictions therefore. Does not offer any real cloud solution only remote desktope.

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,245 reviews