All Clio Reviews

1-25 of 1,590 Reviews

1 employee

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed February 2023

It has come a long way to be a leader

Stephen

Reviewed July 2019

Fantastic Practice Management Solution

PROS

Clio's intuitive design is easy to use for anyone from the tech savy to the "how do I turn this thing on" person. They are constantly adding features and functionality to the software solution making the administrative side of practicing law much easier and less time consuming. Clio's support team is always quick to respond and is always friendly and helpful. The growing list of integrations is definite plus and gives us the ability to extend the already great functionality to the next level. And if you are into coding, you can always create a custom integration to suit your needs.

CONS

Really the only complaint I have about Clio is the reporting capabilities. While it has some great canned reports within the interface, there is no ability to customize reports to massage out information that would be useful to my practice. We make do, of course, but this has been my complaint for some time now. Last time I checked there was a pay integration that allowed for more robust reporting but adding yet another subscription isn't appealing when it would be relatively easy for Clio to add this capability to their platform.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Houdini was no longer meeting the needs of my practice, I was growing and found the interface to be difficult for anyone to use but me. Clio checked all the boxes and seemed to be well supported. Turns out the choice was the right one.

Amanda

Clio Review from AWL

The platforms, both Manage and Grow, are user friendly and I have had a great experience with the software. I like that there aren't rollout after rollout of changes. I enjoy updates and accept them but I like that it's not a weekly occurrence (like Quickbooks). I have recommended Clio to others and will continue to use Clio.

PROS

Overall Clio is very user friendly. My clients who have commented on the use of Clio have had positive feedback as well. I like that there are training videos and customer service has been great the few times I've called. The integration with my Google Workspace and now having their own credit card processing fees is great too! This year I'm utilizing the Dashboard more, both on Manage and Grow and I do like how it works. It helps me stay productive.

CONS

For sections I haven't used as much, I have difficulty finding my way back to them after stumbling upon them. I would like to be able to attach receipts for reimbursable expenses to client's invoices. I would like to be able to mark client matters and/or client invoices as mail only so I know when to print the invoices and mail them to clients.

Reason for choosing Clio

I had Quickbooks at my previous firm and I hated their program. My boss was always on the phone with them because something wasn't working correctly. Every time I went to log time the format had changed. It is expensive. Clio was recommended by both bar associations that I am a member of and the free trial went very well for me.

Diane

Reviewed February 2017

There has to be something better; going downhill for solos

I have been using this since 2012 - at first it fit my needs and was marketed for the solo/small practice firms. It has increasingly become more cumbersome and takes longer to calendar and bill than I would like. The interest feature on the billing can only calculate simple interest. Once you enter the interest formula, there is no way to disconnect it so you are left to manually delete all of the entries. They have changed the billing process from a process that once took about an hour to taking about 3 hours. A bill is generated and placed under the Draft tab, you can view it, edit it, submit it for approval (a waste of time for a solo), or approve it - so I view it, see it needs to be edited, and click on edit, the bill comes up for editing, then once you've completed it, you hit Approve - and nothing happens which is new - you either can hit the go to bills Awaiting Payment link, or click on the Awaiting payment screen -- from there, you are forced to sort through all of your accounts receivable to find your newly edited bill. Once you find the bill, then you can Receive Payment from the trust account - but be careful since if your client has $500 in trust and the bill is $1000, the trust payment will pop up $1000, which you know is inaccurate, so you have to do another edit. Then the bill drops out of view and you either have to return to Awaiting Payment or Paid tabs - search through all of the other bills, find your bill, then you can download it - print it, or save it, and then email it. If you want to enter a new appointment, you can do so on the calendar, but if you want to create a method to track the new client, you have to go to another tab to set up a matter, you can only input the client's name, not the address, not the phone number, not any other stuff that should appear at this point, in my opinion. Then you add in your number. Then you have to track down the name you just entered and try and add in addresses, phone numbers, email addresses. The process is incredibly time consuming. Pros: Cost Cons: Overly rigid, designed for those who have a data processor employee, time consuming, not customer service oriented - was marketed for solos/small practices and this is not the case any longer.

PROS

Web based program and cost.

CONS

Rigid, time consuming process. So many things don't work and the process of finding a work around is cumbersome.

Cassandra

Great Product!

I have used CLIO at two other firms and brought it on to Story Law. Was the best decision we ever made. Saves us administrative time which in turn promotes productivity and profit.

PROS

We love that we have all data, participants, documents, contacts, email/communication journaling, calendaring all in one place. The mobile app is great for on the go use and tracking time when you are away from the office. The client portal is a great tool for tracking what the client has provided and what is still needed. The time Clio saves us in administrative work has been invaluable.

CONS

Mapping with Quick Books does not match up the best. Some of the integrations are still work in progress. No integration with MyPleadings.

Reason for choosing Clio

Ease of use. All-in-one solution. Timeslips is a completely separate systems resulting in double-entries and lost time. Clio is easy to navigate and understand.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Cost effective and all our case management, billing and firm administration can be done in one program.

Erica

Clio Is the Most Useful Database We have Used

Overall Clio was a vast improvement to our previous programs (Tabs 3 and Abacus). The change in customer service however has dampened my enthusiasm..

PROS

Integration of payment, invoicing and CRM I used to love the customer service but now....NO

CONS

Difficult to customize. Customer Service has gone from knowledgeable Canadian staff to foreign people not familiar with the program. You are often on your own to try to resolve questions - or make multiple queries.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Tabs 3 was superficial and did not organize the client and matters in a searchable way.

Hi Erica. Thanks for sharing this valuable feedback. I can assure you that we take into account this information to continuously improve our products and services. I’m sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience with our customer success team. I can assure you that all of our customer service staff are trained in-house and have in-depth knowledge of all our products. While it may on occasion take more than one call to answer a question, please know that we are committed to resolving your queries as quickly as possible—and our team is available 24 hours a day, 5 days a week, via in-app chat, email, or phone should you need further assistance.

Replied January 2024

Concetta

I love Clio - it's already helping my practice grow

Really a great experience - great product! Sales was never too pushy, and also happy to answer my questions.

PROS

Clio is so easy to use, and definitely a great value. I love that Clio can grow with my practice - and help my practice grow! I'm looking forward to getting other products I use to interface with Clio (like QuickBooks, etc). I'm also thrilled that I have the ability to quickly and easily get clients signed up directly through Clio, rather than having to use a third party electronic signature system.

CONS

The self-help isn't fabulous, but fortunately I've been able to get help through online chat.

Reason for choosing Clio

Clio has great pricing, and I don't feel nickel-dimed - it's straightforward, easy to use, and no one in the sales process made me feel like I was buying a used car.

Reasons for switching to Clio

I used it at my prior firm, and swore I'd never use it again. Choosing Clio was the best decision I ever made.

Gabrielle

Great Case Management Software

I have had a very positive experience with Clio and I am very satisfied with the product.

PROS

Clio is intuitive and easy to use. I also love that the team is forward-thinking and always deploying new features that enhance productivity. As a solo practitioner, Clio grow is exceptional and a tool everyone should be using. I can manage my leads with very little overhead. Additionally, Clio support always goes above and beyond

CONS

Initially, I did not understand why Clio Grow and Clio Manage were separate products. However, the integration between the two is seamless, and I have grown to love the distinct nature of the two products.

Reason for choosing Clio

The demo for Clio was much more thorough and at the time, Clio's functionality seemed above and beyond

Bob

Reviewed January 2024

Clio works well for my law firm!

Very good overall experience. Will keep using it. We also use "Clio Grow" to assist with marketing and new client sign-ups.

PROS

User friendly, has good features, also accessible on phone app.

CONS

I don't know how to take full advantage of it.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Hated Abacus. Abacus Accounting had a glitch that cost me over $6,000 when it failed to record a Trust account check written with it. Abacus customer service did not care about that and offered no solution or compensation.

Jade

Great for Canadian Immigration practitioners

I've had a good experience overall with CLIO.

PROS

I looked at several case management systems for my immigration practice, it really checked all the boxes when it came to intake, client invoicing, and helping my remote team stay organized.

CONS

I don't have a lot to complain about, it is not a cheap solution so the pricing is high.

Reason for choosing Clio

I liked that Clio organized the cases and integrated with Google drive and dropbox

Roy

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Reviewed March 2024

An all-in-one practice software

PROS

The time management portion on a case by case basis. The invoicing and payment integration.

CONS

Could not modify the fields to my liking. Truly for a law practice, not for any other consulting.

Reviewed November 2023

Great Legal Practice management application

PROS

Ease of use. Variety of integrations. Wide array of function. Value.

CONS

It does not have built in document templates and legal forms. too many "add ons"

Marie

Reviewed June 2019

Clio Review

My overall experience has been positive. There are plenty of resources for day to day activities and for more complex matters the live support has been indispensable. I find it easy to navigate and learn.

PROS

Initially it was a better system overall than the systems we were trying to make fit our needs (Timeslips and Sharepoint). Subsequently, the updates that are implemented by the development team when there is an obvious need or lack identified.

CONS

I did not like that the billing of outstanding balances was not automated during billing runs to capture all outstanding balances so anyone who does not have a current bill still gets a bill when I do not enter a start time as a filter option. I also do not like that I have to clean up so much on the Quickbooks Online end of a Retainer transfer, especially after a billing run when its many clients at once, it creates a lot of work in the Retainer in Trust register in QBO.

Reason for choosing Clio

Price difference I believe, but I honestly don't remember if there were other reasons as well.

Reasons for switching to Clio

In Timesplips we were having trouble with transfers and keeping track of the data that was not integrating into Quickbooks Desktop smoothly. We also wanted to switch to QBO but they do not integrate. There were system failures that created "broken AR's". The customer service was never immediate, I've spent many hours on hold or on the phone with someone who did not seem to care. It seemed like there was always something that would come up and the customer support was so bad that I would rather try to fix the problem myself or ignore the problem(unless it was timely) until I couldn't anymore. We only started using Sharepoint because Timeslips did not have an office management aspect of the software and it was not economical nor easy to set up, we ended up spending more money on a Sharepoint technician than a year subscription to Clio.

Justin

Legal Services, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2019

What I Like Most About Clio

Clio had a long learning curve. That said, any software that has wide capability will have a long learning curve. However, the support team has been very helpful. It does not work for me to try to read articles to learn how to use the system, I appreciate being able to get someone on the phone or on chat who can simply show me how to do what I want to do.

PROS

As a solo practicing attorney for almost a quarter century, tracking time, preparing and sending out bills has been my least favorite activity, and the place where I have lost revenue and had upset clients. My experience is that clients don't appreciate it when bills are sent timely or when they receive billing after six to twelve months of work - they really prefer regular billing. Clio has revolutionized the billing and collection part of my solo practice environment. Now that I have learned how to create clients and matters and to input time, it is a simple once a month task to create professional monthly client bills which I can print and snail mail, email, or send with the LawPay connection and the client can "click through" the email bill to pay with credit card.

CONS

I cannot figure out how to set up or use the form template function. When I have tried it does not really work and I have stopped trying to use this. I would very much like to create some form engagement letters. My work is mainly transaction, not so much litigation. At first it was difficult to figure out how to prepare a nice looking flat-fee for a project type bill. However, with the updates I have been able to customize bills to have both hourly fee bills and flat-fee bills.

Reason for choosing Clio

Clio's presence in the legal business marketplace. That it was not a sales and marketing CRM that someone was trying to "shoe horn" into usefulness for lawyers, but was designed for use by lawyers in the business of managing a legal services business.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Prior to the advent of online CRM I used Goldmine as an installed CRM system. The cost of trying to keep up with updates was a challenge. I worked in a firm for a few years, and when I went back out on my own instead of purchasing a Goldmine upgrade it was time to move to an online, subscription, CRM. I was attracted to Clio because the company business model appears to be committed to supporting the legal business community. That commitment gives me a confidence that Clio will protect any of my online client data - hopefully they are thinking about what will happen to their business if all their customers have to go their clients to tell them about a data breach.

Kimberly

Reviewed August 2019

Fantastic product!

The experience has been great. The support team is very helpful and made getting set up a quick process, and they've helped solve several operator-error problems along the way. We don't yet use the full capability of what Clio can do, but it's nice to know we have room to grow our practice without outgrowing the software that helps us manage it.

PROS

Clio easily tracks time and expenses, keeps client and matter details organized, generates invoices, and gives us reports that help track our firm's growth. It is easy to learn, easy to use, easy to customize to our practice, and has very helpful and responsive customer service. Since it's cloud based, we can also work remotely as needed. Very glad to have Clio!

CONS

I like most everything about Clio except that it can be slow if our internet service is being slow (not Clio's fault, but it comes with being cloud-based). Every once in a while I find a glitch that frustrates me in creating invoices. Usually, though, chatting with customer support online leads to a) their showing me how to solve my problem, or b) the problem being sent to tech support for fixing in Clio's system.

Reason for choosing Clio

Clio offered a better value for the service offered, a shorter spin-up time and a more approachable platform. I still learn more about it's capabilities every day, but was able to understand enough to start working within it after the first walk-through with the support team.

Reasons for switching to Clio

Our previous software is commonly used in accounting firms but didn't fit as well with the needs of our law firm. As we grew we found we needed different capabilities than that software offered.

Tracy

Reviewed September 2019

Clio is a mixed bag

The worst is retainers. Without being able to customize my email message globally, I can't use the trust payment request. It just confuses clients. Did I say hours and hours and hours? I will say that their service is fabulous. However, they keep making new abilities that to me are inconsequential compared with retainers. Oh, and not having global text snippets? How hard can that be? I have to go to 8 different users if I add something. Really a waste of time. Fix the real stuff. Then add bells and whistles.

PROS

I love that billing is so much easier, that my team can enter time remotely.

CONS

Clio was not developed by any sort of accountant. The reports are lacking, you can't memorize reports, everything within the software isn't consistent (like using the term everyone one place and all users in another place). The reports are inconsistent with what you can filter by on each report. There are still things where my account names are redundant - like Johnson - Divorce: Divorce. The biggest gripe I have is about replenishing retainers. The retainer replenishments don't get printed on the bill - I know it is because clio payments won't let you make a combined trust/legal fee payment, but they could have one link for anything owed and another link if a replenishment is due. Really - we webt to the moon 50 years ago but we can't figure this out? I spend hours and hours dealing with contacting clients to replenish. Also, way you enter into clio is clunky. I have to pick up my mouse all the time. It needs to be more like quickbooks entry. You never have to pick up your mouse.

Reason for choosing Clio

Because I really liked the interface and the ease of editing time. I thought it was a given that the reports would be well written, consistent and that retainers would be handled properly. And who would have ever asked if text snippets were global or if I could memorize a report?

Reasons for switching to Clio

Timeslips is the crankiest program ever. It isn't intuitive and it was taking me 3 days to edit time entries.

Peter

Reviewed October 2019

All I Need

Terrific, a true game changer!

PROS

Clio provides an all in one suite of applications that are necessary for my law firm to operate. We used to rely on a stand-alone billing software program for our billing and time-tracking. Of course every computer or user we added cost us more money on top of the software itself. When the software became outdated and no longer supported, we had to purchase the latest version. We also relied upon emails to assign tasks, and give each other messages about the cases we were working on together- without a centralized location for the team to track and review each other's notes and progress, each member had to rely upon their own notes, memos, emails, etc. This was inefficient and time consuming. Another fun part of my day was searching for contact information of opposing counsel on particular matters. Often times I would search emails, review the documents on a case, or review documents in the file to get the contact information I needed. Calendaring was also an administrative hurdle. Entering dates in a separate software system led to disorganization, and required jumping around from one program to another to manage information and learn where attorneys were supposed to be. Clio puts all of these functions , and more, under one roof. It has made the work flow in my law firm seamless, efficient, easy, and organized. Clio does it all, and I am truly grateful for this product.

CONS

I would like it to be easier to review the billing entries of other users in real time.

Reasons for switching to Clio

I wanted an all-in one suite of programs, rather than stand alone platforms.

Margy