CosmoLex

CosmoLex Reviews

• icon"I have enjoyed the ease of learning and using this software. I like the Dashboard that tells you many useful things at a glance."
  • icon"Stability, integrated accounting, and better support staff. I used Clio for a couple years at my last firm, and I have zero intention of switching back."
  • icon"A great leap forward from our previous (non-cloud) software."
  • icon"I don't like that if I put something in a wrong area and that it can't be duplicated and moved to the correct area - having to redo everything manually as a new user is frustrating."
  • icon"Nothing seems to be a problem for me with this software."
  • icon"I frankly don't have much of anything to offer in the way of complaints."

Browse all CosmoLex Reviews

• Have you used CosmoLex and would like to share your experience with others?

Eric

Practice Management and Accounting in One

One of the biggest things Cosmolex has done for us is allow us to bring out bookkeeping in-house. We went through 3 bookkeeping firms in 2 years and spent huge sums of money for our accountants to undo the mess they made. Our first year end with Cosmolex and in-house bookkeeping was a little rough but that was mostly cleaning up past mistakes.

Pros

The product is generally pretty simple to use. Sometimes you will encounter a quirk that makes you wonder "why did they do it like this?" but once you understand the logic behind it you pick up quickly. The software is updated quite regularly.

Cons

They were purchased by Tabs3 about a year ago and the fact that they are not independent is a little concerning.

Pete

February 2022

I am glad I found CosmoLex, I could not get through a day without it.

Pros

It's easy to use, intuitive, and the customer support is outstanding. I've occasionally contacted them with feature suggestions and they usually end up incorporating those suggestions - or they might show me how I missed something that accomplishes the same thing. The product works as advertised and I have no regrets.

Cons

It had a little bit of a learning curve but I had nothing to compare it to. I now find it intuitive, so it's hard to say. Customer support is awesome, though, and they also have videos you can watch that explain most of the problems and issues I experienced along the way.

Reasons for choosing CosmoLex

It seemed more professional and I was able to get customer support on the phone during the trial period.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

As my office grew, I realized that I needed REAL software that was made for lawyers instead of trying to customize software that was off-the-shelf.

Nikki

August 2022

The best legal accounting software I've ever used

Been working with Cosmolex for 2 years now. It is great and easy to use. I wouldn't ever go back to PCLaw.

Pros

It is great and easy to use. It's simple to navigate.

Cons

There is nothing about the software that I don't like.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

PCLaw was just so outdated. It's difficult to use and confusing. The customer service was also horrible.

Pierce

This App is Geared More Towards Transactional Law Practices

Pros

Cosmolex is easy to use and to implement. Initially, Customer Support was great, but now not so much. Customer support is still better than any other legal accounting product I have used from Lexis or Westlaw, even Clio. The company is generally pretty good about responding to its customers inquiries; but, you typically have to wait about 4 to 6 hours or the next day or two for a technical support person to call you back and sometimes they don't. The billing features are great for a small transactional law practice or family law practice, but not so much for a firm that handles heavy amounts of civil litigation for commercial clients, which requires reporting and data feed back. Trust accounting on Cosmolex is fantastic and allows for contingency fees in PI cases. Overall, its ease of use and simple interface is why we continue to use it. Compared to most legal accounting and billing software, training employees is easy and they offer tons of opportunities to attend free webinar classes and are great at assisting you in getting your employees up and running. Altogether, it is not bad if you have other software or services to cover document and case management, but is expensive considering its deficiencies in this area.

Cons

The biggest Con is that there is a clear the lack of usable reports, no way to export client data for analysis and forecasting, third party integrations with Office is a work in progress for 2+ years and Cosmolex should absolutely not be relied on for Case Management in a litigation practice. If you are going to use Cosmolex, I would suggest doing so only for the accounting (w/ trust features) and billing for noncommercial clients. Cosmolex provides linking with your Drobox Account but is very limited when it comes to document management and your space is dependent what you purchase from other third-party companies for storage. We use the client portal for our clients to upload new case documents securely, but that is absolutely those are the only documents “managed” by Cosmolex. Docketing for litigation would be a nightmare if you depended on this software (especially for those that have midsize firms or handle multiple cases for companies). Reporting and data analysis is nonexistent. Cosmolex is absolutely not Microsoft Office friendly and has little to no integration with Microsoft products, despite the way it appears on their website. It will not integrate with on premises Exchange Server 2016, SQL or Power BI so you have to enter everything twice and have other software or services to cover its deficiencies. Calendaring features are worthless unless your firm uses Gmail as your firm email and calendaring system. The calendar may now integrate with 365 but does not have a way to customize jurisdictional presets for counting deadlines like most case management software that integrates with your calendar through Exchange. Altogether, the lack of even usable Excel or .PDF reports is the worst thing about Cosmolex. Report features, including AR ledgers and Invoice listing reports for a client with multiple ongoing cases is worthless. There is also no way to segregate your fees for fee recoverable causes of action, which is required in Texas when you are seeking attorney’s fees from the opposing side. Reports in Cosmolex could not be more unorganized. Trying to pull usable billing data over a period of time longer than one year is virtually impossible unless you want to do it by cutting and pasting from poorly formatted excel spreadsheets, which makes it difficult as hell to analyze client data over a period of time. Overall, all legal accounting software I have seen is terrible, Cosmolex is just less terrible than most. I think we are going to be moving on shortly to something else.

Heather

CosmoLex

It saves me time each month on billing and invoicing.

Pros

CosmoLex made going out on my own much easier. I particularly like that I don't need additional software on the accounting side of things.

Cons

I would like an easier method of doing conflict checks. I wish there was a stand alone tab for adding consultations in for conflict check purposes only.

Best Attorney Software

Great program with easy customer support (even a chat feature). The prior legal platform software we used constantly had issues with an expensive yearly update that was required. Cosmolex is cloud-based so no need for updates. there is no need for an additional bookkeeping program for your office expenses as the program will handle that along with your trust accounting.

Pros

I like that you can handle your everyday office accounting in the same program as your trust accounting. There is no need for a separate program. Our clients love the client portal and they can upload documents directly to the client portal instead of having to bring them into our physical office. Cosmolex keeps each of your client files organized where you can save all of your emails, documents, and share the ones that you need to share with your clients through the client portal.

Cons

We would like to be able to make one bulk deposit at one time instead of having to go through by individual dates and make individual deposits.

Reasons for choosing CosmoLex

Cosmolex had the back office accounting to have all our books go through one program!

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Pclaw has expensive yearly updates. It was a chore to even close a client file. The program is outdated. To allow access to the program to a client, we had to get a separate program to upload documents because pclaw has no such feature.

Shawn

Best Legal Management Software

Cosmolex has increased the efficiency of my firm dramatically. From standard client letters to accounting, to tasks, the program has made all aspects of my practice easier. It is easy to learn and efficient.

Pros

Cosmolex is by far the best Legal Management Software on the market. The accounting is superior and specific to the legal industry and the client management options are unmatched.

Cons

There are sometimes delays as information is being entered. It is relatively minor but something I expect they will improve on.

Reasons for choosing CosmoLex

Cosmolex had the full package. It had the accounting power of PC Law, the client centered functionality like Clio and the ease of use like Practice Panther all in one.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Practice Panther did not have adequate accounting practices needed for law firms in Ontario and did not comply with my law society rules. It also did not integrate adequately with Quickbooks resulting in very high bookeeping and accounting fees. Also PC Law is outmoded and complicated.

Industry: Law Practice

Great Software. Can be a learning curve.

Pros

The built in efficiency. Great accounting system. Easy to generate invoices, apply payments, and print checks.

Cons

It takes a bit to learn how to do everything and fully utilize the software. That being said, the customer service is excellent. The software is pricey and I wish there was a discounted rate for firm members who only have limited access.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Cosmolex came highly recommended by a colleague.

Jessica

May 2022

Still new to the software but really happy with it!

Pros

I like how easy it was to integrate into my business. I was using a different software before and it was very easy to make the switch.

Cons

I currently have not come across anything that I wish were different.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Looking to grow my business into more of a legal based practice.

Jackie

Trial period looks promising

Pros

It has the basic needs for any law firm from document storage; workflows, time tracking and invoicing. Their selling point is that eliminates the need for quickbooks. So far the support has been great but I am in a demo stage in which they are trying to sell me the product.

Cons

While not having to pay for quickbooks is a bonus, I'm not sure that any accountant or bookkeeper would really want to adapt to a different softward as qb is the industry standard.

Jonathan

September 2022

CosmoLex Review September 2022

Pros

Very user-friendly; cloud-based; efficient onboarding and data migration.

Cons

A bit pricier than some of the other programs available.

Matthew

Industry: Law Practice

Great for small firms, not so great if scaling up

We've been using CosmoLex for 2+ years so they haven't scared us away...yet.

Pros

Client portal is a terrific feature (when working), the ease of time entries is terrific. Very simplistic interface for invoicing and collecting fees. Integration with LawPay is cool.

Cons

There's lots of bugs and seemingly easy fixes that get overlooked and/or ignored. The portal will shut down unexpectedly and/or clients cannot access multiple matters without additional email addresses. There is no function for recurring billing (i.e., ongoing or payment plan clients). Customer service is a nightmare to deal with and takes weeks to complete simple tasks.

Reasons for choosing CosmoLex

Overall initial cost per user

Easy of use

Ana

July 2016

Cosmolex Review

I became a Cosmolex customer after being a customer of another practice management system and a customer of a widely known accounting software. My law practice incorporates general practice areas ranging from real estate/title agency, personal injury, litigation, family law, to probate and estate planning. With a variety of practice areas such as my firm, the challenges of practice management are complex because each area of the law has its own set of individual policies and procedures. The program I was using didn't capture my time spent on cases, nor created a detailed bill for my clients' review that completely captured all of the work my staff and I performed on their case. Cosmolex produces an invoice for the client that justifies my legal fee, which is essential to client satisfaction, and critical for ethical compliance purposes for cases that are accepted on a retainer or hourly basis. Not only do I earn more money because I'm able to quickly track time and expenses, but I also deliver a better product. Less time is spent telling my client what I did on their case but instead, allows me to focus on the particular legal matter the client hired me to solve. Further, the biggest hurdle to launching a successful law firm (I've only had my own law firm for seven months), is bookkeeping, and I have an in-house, nearly full-time bookkeeper which is also an accountant and is even qualified as an expert in a common accounting software system. However, with all of that knowledge and expertise, so much of my time was spent on accounting, and now it's spent on practicing law and a deeper concentration on my cases. This was not and could not have been possible with other accounting software systems on the market. Trust me, I tried them, and they only created problems. The other systems in the market (even those that are tailored for law firms) simply make the law firm work for the system, and not the system work for the law firm. Cosmolex is comprehensive. It takes care of the daily task delegation, case progress, and time tracking, accounting, employee performance, and reports. My experience has been an eye-opening one. My experience is mostly a relief because without Cosmolex I would still be living in the dark-ages of unproductivity and frustration.

Pros

Ease of use, the simplicity of timecards, layout/design, price, functionality across multiple practice areas, ethical compliance considerations, cyber security protection, and mobility.

Cons

Lack of knowledge by customer support, inability of 24/7 customer support access, inadequate and burdensome contact importing process, access to library of forms and templates with incorporated merge fields, failure of bank integration for purposes of deposits, no app available, not synced with lexicata or another CRM service, doc mgmt could use some navigational ease of use improvement, no place for employees to insert their time for purposes of payroll, no spell checker, inability to make a matter designated as anything other than inactive or active (nice if had more options, such as closed cases, prospective lead, consultation only, referred out), migration of emails into cosmolex, lack of automatic matching of emails to correct corresponding client file (doesn't exist retroactive to joining Cosmolex at all, and once joined, the automatic email matching is rare but is much more usually manual entry, automatic base fee for commonly used tasks and expenses that would automatically be applied to each type of case's invoice for example, fax $2.50, copy cost 30 cents per page, courier fee $5.00, postage cost of $10.00, generate and open file $15, $10 document retention fee, and legal research $20.00, additional permissions for each user based on more than is listed under "role," label generator, sync with efax and adobe sign and google for work, ability to mark certain case documents as confidential and/or only for internal viewing purposes.

Response from CosmoLex

Hi Ana, Thank you for taking the time to detail your thoughts, it is constructive feedback like yours which keeps us grounded. You run a multi-dimensional practice and are a tech enthusiastic, full of ideas. While we currently do not offer 24/7 live customer support as you stated, this is planned for the near future. We also agree that data migration from one system to another can often be very cumbersome. Though we have automated this process quite a bit since you became a customer, we understand that this can be perceived as a major hurdle for some firms, which is why we work hard every day to improve this process. Lastly, we value your comment that "[CosmoLex] is already well beyond its counterparts and is arguably the next big leader in legal tech practice management". We can assure you that we will be relentless in our pursuit of simplifying the practice of law! Erica Birstler, Manager, Client Services Dept.

Replied July 2016

Michele

Overall Review of Product- Our THoughts

Pros: One program for almost everything. Cons: No document assembly; you can only link one person to the client portal; glitches in program- the program emailed an invoice to the wrong person; can not email through program; glitch- I had to give access to everyone for everything because the limited access features did not work; customer service is not the best; calandar portion has glitches when it interfaces with gmail and office 365.

Pros

It is a comprehensive software. Its like having Quickbooks and a practice management program in one. This is the best feature.

Cons

Lots of glitches: (a) it emailed an invoice to the wrong person; (b) user restrictions do not work in my office; (c) calendar is not on the main page- usability is difficult for some tasks; (d) you can only have one person assigned to the client portal. Does not have email capabilities Does not have document assembly Does not have automatic assignment of matter numbers. Limited reporting features- you can not tailor reports (financial)- very limited.

Response from CosmoLex

Hi Michele, We appreciate your feedback related to your experience with CosmoLex. In regards to the issues you are having, please reach out to our support team directly at 732-595-9015 so that they can see first hand the issues you are experiencing, and assist with resolving. I will be entering the requests you have made as well, so that we can keep you up to date on their progress. As an additional note, we will be releasing Document Assembly within the next few months and are always open to hear your suggestions on improving our current reporting. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Replied March 2017

Lynda

The staff is really helpful and friendly.

Three software packages for billing, client accounting and back-end was TOO MUCH!

Pros

Everything was in one place. I didn't have to generate bills in one package, enter them in another for tracking income, and then pay them in two places as well. It is also great to be able to write a cost check in a case and have the expense "attached" to the client's accounting file/bill in a seamless matter with just an additional click or two. We were promised an easy migration with all the support we needed, and that is what the team at Cosmolex delivered! Our accountant was also able to access the system for his end of the year work and add all of his journal entires and such and close out the books quickly and easily. The ability for us to generate P&L reports and other important accounting documents literally on demand is also pretty awesome. But the best part about Cosmolex, by far, is their incredible support team. They have never been stumped, and I've done my best to do just that! Every time I have a question, I get a prompt and complete answer, generally by phone, from one of their support staff who know me and my firm on a first-name basis. I don't think I could be nearly as effective in a dual-role position without this software!

Cons

I can't think of anything additional at this point; they have added all MY wishlist items! I think the only thing they could add at this point is a "hotline" 24/7!

Marc

Industry: Law Practice

This is a time and money saver for any firm.

I was looking for a complete solution to my practice management and accounting needs.

Pros

I tried various other platforms including PCLaw and Clio, but they lacked in usability or functionality compared to CosmoLex. PCLaw is outdated, slow and not cloud based, while Clio lacks firm accounting functionality and though they advertise quickbooks syncing, there are major issues with the syncing that requires a great deal of work by the end user. CosmoLex is able to do virtually everything Clio can do with respect to practice management and even has a few unique features. However, where CosmoLex really shines is with its built in accounting system. As a Canadian Lawyer we require certain functionality that our American counterparts do not and CosmoLex has done a great job of meeting our needs. CosmoLex can properly deal with our HST/GST/PST issues and payments as well as offer us accrual based accounting as we are required to use by law. There is NO other cloud based platform with an all-in-one solution for Canadian Lawyers. This is a time and money saver for any firm.

Cons

I would like to see document generation (of all sorts), multiple clients per matter, the ability to generate Client I.D. Forms from the contact information. Also helpful would be the ability to attach scanned receipts, cheques, and bills to accounting entries similar to the functionality in QuickBooks. Some minor efficiency changes like being able to select certain options when creating an entry rather than having to re-open it afterwards.

Christine

Industry: Law Practice

By far a much better experience in legal software than previous program

I am practicing law more than I am fighting with accounting software for lawyers!

Pros

It does front and back office and IT WORKS. Very little technical support needed on a regular basis. It allows clients to make payments online through an invoice link and cosmolex is partnered with LawPay. Also integrates well with outlook exchange and all programs like google, onedrive, dropbox ; allows all emails to be saved to the associated matters for easy access. billing process is fairly simple the invoice links are keeping receivables down as client's can pay their bills 24/7. bills are able to be emailed easily and in bulk; invoice reminders and trust deposit requests are easily sent out without the need to draft letters individually to the clients. I could go on and on......

Cons

Hard to complain about much with this program. It depends on your needs. For me there are still some features I am used to from my server based program that are not availableyet in this cloud based software, but there are lots of things in the works. It seems each month a new feature is released that I had learned to live without or work around. The things I am missing right now are invoices saved automatically to a matter in a hard pdf when initially generated. The original invoice cannot be recreated unless you physically print or save a downloaded copy at the time they are generated.

Joshua

Great for Small Firms

Very satisfied.

Pros

Comprehensive client management, including accounting.

Cons

Sometimes a little hard to use some of the features, but they are always listening to feature requests.

Reasons for choosing CosmoLex

PCLaw is not available for Macs.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

They did not have all of the features.

Kristen

Best decision I made for my business

Pros

What I like the most is that virtually everything is in one program and it is super easy to use. It was a smooth transition to migrate files and data over (CosmoLex took this over for me)

Cons

Used to have a feature where you could sort documents according to tabs (such as date modified, name, etc). This feature was disabled which makes it difficult to find documents within a folder, particularly if there is a high volume of documents. Please bring this feature back!

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Wanted one program that can deal with everything

William

Industry: Law Practice

My experience with Cosmolex has exceeded my expectations. I did a lot of research on what is out there in the market and Cosmolex came out on top, primarily because of the integrated backend accounting so that I did not have to deal with QuickBooks. Over the last couple of years, using Cosmolex, has been awesome. Being able to keep track of my time with the timer, bulk entry of Timeslips, ease of sending out invoices, invoices with a link to pay electronically, inclusion of law pay as a part of the subscription, etc., etc., etc., are all wonderful parts of the experience.

Pros

Super easy to use. Billing with a timer, bulk billing (was added after I requested), super responsive customer support/chat, great reports, full back-end accounting

Cons

I can often think of new features I would love to see but obviously they cannot add everything I want immediately.

Reasons for choosing CosmoLex

All of the reasons stated above.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

I wanted something online, with the backend accounting integrated so that I did not have to sync with QuickBooks. That narrowed my selection down to one product, Cosmolex. Everything else has been a bonus!

Cole

Outstanding Practice Management Software

The greatest benefit is the inclusion of accounting functions such that the we can readily prepare the necessary reports for our CPA.

Pros

The software is intuitive and straightforward. All necessary options are readily accessible from a simple menu structure, and the inclusion of detailed accounting functions is truly unparalleled.

Cons

The only difficulty our firm has had has been in discerning how to remove or amend charges to clients once they have been billed and once payment has been received. However, via help and reading on the forums, we now understand this process and it is not difficult.

Reasons for choosing CosmoLex

The inclusion of accounting features and the overall ease of the user interface.

Mary

Impressed by Customer Service

Much more intuitive than our previous program.

Pros

I like how easy it is to get help (by phone, email, live chat, or leaving a ticket). I am still in the "learning" phase of using the software, but the customer service team has walked me through each stumbling block and taken time to show me in detail how all the features work. I'm most impressed by how they seem to anticipate my future questions and address those as well as whatever concern I originally contacted them about.

Cons

Nothing yet as far as functionality. Wish the data migration services were more affordable.

Reasons for choosing CosmoLex

Price, customer service, and functionality .

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Wanted something more updated and easy to use.

Laura

It is easy to get around the program

Pros

I like that it is easy to get around the program and many things are self-explanatory. I also appreciate the tutorials that are available.

Cons

1. I sat down with our accountant and went through the chart of accounts - we wanted to erase some of the accounts that we wouldn't be using, but the system prevents it. There are so many similarly named accounts, that I am concerned about how I will make sure I am using the ones that my accountant prefers (as an example, there are at least 3 or 4 options for accounts related to payroll). 2. I don't like that I can't select the option to not allow duplicate checks for our business checking account 3. I don't like that when I click "save and next" when entering checks that the program does not automatically bring up the next check number. I have to hit "save" and then go back in and "add" another transaction in order for that to happen

Response from CosmoLex

Hi Laura. We appreciate your review and feedback. I wanted to take some time to respond to the concerns that you listed 1- Chart of Accounts - While our GL account list is quite flexible, given that we have built-in automated accounting, certain accounts are core to that process and therefore cannot be deleted (fee income, trust funds, reimbursable client costs etc.). In terms of account options, only keep the accounts you wish to use. we offer 4 payroll accounts to cover the various deductions which need to be disbursed. 2- Duplicate checks - you are correct in that our operating accounts do not include the same safeguards as the trust accounts given there is no requirement, however I will enter this request on your behalf. 3- Check Numbers- I assume you are entering manual checks instead of printing them. I do see the issue you are experiencing and will report to our dev team to resolve. Thanks again for your feedback. Any other questions, please let us know.

Replied July 2017

Kristal

Industry: Law Practice

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature

Pros

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature along with the other case management features as well as its interplay with Lawpay.

Cons

I would like to be able to search the calendar for a particular name. For example, if I am trying to determine when I met with a potential client, I would like to be able to search their name. To add to this, I would like to be able to add the potential client to the calendar entry when I add a consult so I can search the PC and determine when I met with them. As to the documents, I would like a way to search all the documents in the system. For example, I would like to be able to search for "Motion for Guardian ad Litem" and have all documents with that title, regardless of whose matter it is connected to. I would like to be able to pull matter balances from the app.

Response from CosmoLex

Thanks for your feedback, Kristal! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying the advantages of an integrated accounting and practice management system. We're always looking to optimize our solution, so please feel free to make a feature request on our support site. Thank you!

Replied August 2019

They are always innovating

Pros

I wanted something that combined both the accounting and matter management in one place. What I like the most is the Customer Support. If I'm having a problem with taking a payment from a client, I can get on the phone and have them resolve the issue without delaying the client. I also like that they constantly ask us what other new functions we'd like to see. They are always innovating, and don't "drop" you once they've got your payment.

Cons

I wish it would remember matter names and auto-populate that when adding a new client--then i'd like to be able to run reports based on the kinds of matters. I'd also like to be able to bulk mail using our clients' mailing addresses. Finally, I'd like to be able to add in court dates to the matters so that when I run reports, I can filter and organize them according to court dates, rather than client name. I like Cosmolex, but it's clearly set up for civil or other slow-moving firms, and not for traffic, which adds up to 10 clients a day and has many matter subject options.