Feature Ratings Breakdown

Funtionality

• Pros

• "Everything I need to do for billing, invoices, retainers, etc., is all in one system. Very easy to use."

• "Easy to work with; otherwise, help videos and frequent asked questions at the tip of your fingers do the trick in most of the cases."

• "Integrated practice management & accounting. This makes trust accounting and billing very simple."

• "Overall Cosmolex has been a good option and has helped my practice."

• Cons

• "Learning the nuances of the system. But once learned, the system was extremely flawless. "

• "Migrating from PcLaw is not the easiest process."

• "None really. The only thing I'd like to see is to be able to generate invoices from the mobile app. "

• "The dashboard itself is a snapshot and not interactive"

Filter reviews by:

Sort by: Most Helpful | Most Recent

Showing 1-20 of 211 reviews

Do you use this product?Write a review

Ana from Gregory Law Firm

Cosmolex Review

I became a Cosmolex customer after being a customer of another practice management system and a customer of a widely known accounting software. My law practice incorporates general practice areas ranging from real estate/title agency, personal injury, litigation, family law, to probate and estate planning. With a variety of practice areas such as my firm, the challenges of practice management are complex because each area of the law has its own set of individual policies and procedures. The program I was using didn't capture my time spent on cases, nor created a detailed bill for my clients' review that completely captured all of the work my staff and I performed on their case. Cosmolex produces an invoice for the client that justifies my legal fee, which is essential to client satisfaction, and critical for ethical compliance purposes for cases that are accepted on a retainer or hourly basis. Not only do I earn more money because I'm able to quickly track time and expenses, but I also deliver a better product. Less time is spent telling my client what I did on their case but instead, allows me to focus on the particular legal matter the client hired me to solve. Further, the biggest hurdle to launching a successful law firm (I've only had my own law firm for seven months), is bookkeeping, and I have an in-house, nearly full-time bookkeeper which is also an accountant and is even qualified as an expert in a common accounting software system. However, with all of that knowledge and expertise, so much of my time was spent on accounting, and now it's spent on practicing law and a deeper concentration on my cases. This was not and could not have been possible with other accounting software systems on the market. Trust me, I tried them, and they only created problems. The other systems in the market (even those that are tailored for law firms) simply make the law firm work for the system, and not the system work for the law firm. Cosmolex is comprehensive. It takes care of the daily task delegation, case progress, and time tracking, accounting, employee performance, and reports. My experience has been an eye-opening one. My experience is mostly a relief because without Cosmolex I would still be living in the dark-ages of unproductivity and frustration.

Pros

Ease of use, the simplicity of timecards, layout/design, price, functionality across multiple practice areas, ethical compliance considerations, cyber security protection, and mobility.

Cons

Lack of knowledge by customer support, inability of 24/7 customer support access, inadequate and burdensome contact importing process, access to library of forms and templates with incorporated merge fields, failure of bank integration for purposes of deposits, no app available, not synced with lexicata or another CRM service, doc mgmt could use some navigational ease of use improvement, no place for employees to insert their time for purposes of payroll, no spell checker, inability to make a matter designated as anything other than inactive or active (nice if had more options, such as closed cases, prospective lead, consultation only, referred out), migration of emails into cosmolex, lack of automatic matching of emails to correct corresponding client file (doesn't exist retroactive to joining Cosmolex at all, and once joined, the automatic email matching is rare but is much more usually manual entry, automatic base fee for commonly used tasks and expenses that would automatically be applied to each type of case's invoice for example, fax $2.50, copy cost 30 cents per page, courier fee $5.00, postage cost of $10.00, generate and open file $15, $10 document retention fee, and legal research $20.00, additional permissions for each user based on more than is listed under "role," label generator, sync with efax and adobe sign and google for work, ability to mark certain case documents as confidential and/or only for internal viewing purposes.

Response from CosmoLex of

Replied July 2016

Hi Ana, Thank you for taking the time to detail your thoughts, it is constructive feedback like yours which keeps us grounded. You run a multi-dimensional practice and are a tech enthusiastic, full of ideas. While we currently do not offer 24/7 live customer support as you stated, this is planned for the near future. We also agree that data migration from one system to another can often be very cumbersome. Though we have automated this process quite a bit since you became a customer, we understand that this can be perceived as a major hurdle for some firms, which is why we work hard every day to improve this process. Lastly, we value your comment that "[CosmoLex] is already well beyond its counterparts and is arguably the next big leader in legal tech practice management". We can assure you that we will be relentless in our pursuit of simplifying the practice of law! Erica Birstler, Manager, Client Services Dept.

Michele from Legal Counsel PA.

Overall Review of Product- Our THoughts

Pros: One program for almost everything. Cons: No document assembly; you can only link one person to the client portal; glitches in program- the program emailed an invoice to the wrong person; can not email through program; glitch- I had to give access to everyone for everything because the limited access features did not work; customer service is not the best; calandar portion has glitches when it interfaces with gmail and office 365.

Pros

It is a comprehensive software. Its like having Quickbooks and a practice management program in one. This is the best feature.

Cons

Lots of glitches: (a) it emailed an invoice to the wrong person; (b) user restrictions do not work in my office; (c) calendar is not on the main page- usability is difficult for some tasks; (d) you can only have one person assigned to the client portal.

Does not have email capabilities

Does not have document assembly

Does not have automatic assignment of matter numbers.

Limited reporting features- you can not tailor reports (financial)- very limited.

Response from CosmoLex of

Replied March 2017

Hi Michele, We appreciate your feedback related to your experience with CosmoLex. In regards to the issues you are having, please reach out to our support team directly at 732-595-9015 so that they can see first hand the issues you are experiencing, and assist with resolving. I will be entering the requests you have made as well, so that we can keep you up to date on their progress. As an additional note, we will be releasing Document Assembly within the next few months and are always open to hear your suggestions on improving our current reporting. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Lynda from Sheftall & Associates, P.A.

The staff is really helpful and friendly.

Three software packages for billing, client accounting and back-end was TOO MUCH!

Pros

Everything was in one place. I didn't have to generate bills in one package, enter them in another for tracking income, and then pay them in two places as well. It is also great to be able to write a cost check in a case and have the expense "attached" to the client's accounting file/bill in a seamless matter with just an additional click or two. We were promised an easy migration with all the support we needed, and that is what the team at Cosmolex delivered!

Our accountant was also able to access the system for his end of the year work and add all of his journal entires and such and close out the books quickly and easily. The ability for us to generate P&L reports and other important accounting documents literally on demand is also pretty awesome.

But the best part about Cosmolex, by far, is their incredible support team. They have never been stumped, and I've done my best to do just that! Every time I have a question, I get a prompt and complete answer, generally by phone, from one of their support staff who know me and my firm on a first-name basis. I don't think I could be nearly as effective in a dual-role position without this software!

Cons

I can't think of anything additional at this point; they have added all MY wishlist items! I think the only thing they could add at this point is a "hotline" 24/7!

Marc from Cumbo Law

This is a time and money saver for any firm.

I was looking for a complete solution to my practice management and accounting needs.

Pros

I tried various other platforms including PCLaw and Clio, but they lacked in usability or functionality compared to CosmoLex. PCLaw is outdated, slow and not cloud based, while Clio lacks firm accounting functionality and though they advertise quickbooks syncing, there are major issues with the syncing that requires a great deal of work by the end user.

CosmoLex is able to do virtually everything Clio can do with respect to practice management and even has a few unique features. However, where CosmoLex really shines is with its built in accounting system. As a Canadian Lawyer we require certain functionality that our American counterparts do not and CosmoLex has done a great job of meeting our needs. CosmoLex can properly deal with our HST/GST/PST issues and payments as well as offer us accrual based accounting as we are required to use by law.

There is NO other cloud based platform with an all-in-one solution for Canadian Lawyers. This is a time and money saver for any firm.

Cons

I would like to see document generation (of all sorts), multiple clients per matter, the ability to generate Client I.D. Forms from the contact information.

Also helpful would be the ability to attach scanned receipts, cheques, and bills to accounting entries similar to the functionality in QuickBooks.

Some minor efficiency changes like being able to select certain options when creating an entry rather than having to re-open it afterwards.

Christine from The Law Office of Christine L. Freeman, LLC

By far a much better experience in legal software than previous program

I am practicing law more than I am fighting with accounting software for lawyers!

Pros

It does front and back office and IT WORKS. Very little technical support needed on a regular basis. It allows clients to make payments online through an invoice link and cosmolex is partnered with LawPay.
Also integrates well with outlook exchange and all programs like google, onedrive, dropbox ;
allows all emails to be saved to the associated matters for easy access.
billing process is fairly simple
the invoice links are keeping receivables down as client's can pay their bills 24/7.
bills are able to be emailed easily and in bulk;
invoice reminders and trust deposit requests are easily sent out without the need to draft letters individually to the clients.
I could go on and on......

Cons

Hard to complain about much with this program. It depends on your needs. For me there are still some features I am used to from my server based program that are not availableyet in this cloud based software, but there are lots of things in the works. It seems each month a new feature is released that I had learned to live without or work around. The things I am missing right now are invoices saved automatically to a matter in a hard pdf when initially generated. The original invoice cannot be recreated unless you physically print or save a downloaded copy at the time they are generated.

Laura from Injury and Disability Law Office of WI

It is easy to get around the program

Pros

I like that it is easy to get around the program and many things are self-explanatory. I also appreciate the tutorials that are available.

Cons

1. I sat down with our accountant and went through the chart of accounts - we wanted to erase some of the accounts that we wouldn't be using, but the system prevents it. There are so many similarly named accounts, that I am concerned about how I will make sure I am using the ones that my accountant prefers (as an example, there are at least 3 or 4 options for accounts related to payroll).

2. I don't like that I can't select the option to not allow duplicate checks for our business checking account

3. I don't like that when I click "save and next" when entering checks that the program does not automatically bring up the next check number. I have to hit "save" and then go back in and "add" another transaction in order for that to happen

Response from CosmoLex of

Replied July 2017

Hi Laura. We appreciate your review and feedback. I wanted to take some time to respond to the concerns that you listed 1- Chart of Accounts - While our GL account list is quite flexible, given that we have built-in automated accounting, certain accounts are core to that process and therefore cannot be deleted (fee income, trust funds, reimbursable client costs etc.). In terms of account options, only keep the accounts you wish to use. we offer 4 payroll accounts to cover the various deductions which need to be disbursed. 2- Duplicate checks - you are correct in that our operating accounts do not include the same safeguards as the trust accounts given there is no requirement, however I will enter this request on your behalf. 3- Check Numbers- I assume you are entering manual checks instead of printing them. I do see the issue you are experiencing and will report to our dev team to resolve. Thanks again for your feedback. Any other questions, please let us know.

Sarah from A. McIntyre Law

They are always innovating

Pros

I wanted something that combined both the accounting and matter management in one place. What I like the most is the Customer Support. If I'm having a problem with taking a payment from a client, I can get on the phone and have them resolve the issue without delaying the client. I also like that they constantly ask us what other new functions we'd like to see. They are always innovating, and don't "drop" you once they've got your payment.

Cons

I wish it would remember matter names and auto-populate that when adding a new client--then i'd like to be able to run reports based on the kinds of matters. I'd also like to be able to bulk mail using our clients' mailing addresses. Finally, I'd like to be able to add in court dates to the matters so that when I run reports, I can filter and organize them according to court dates, rather than client name. I like Cosmolex, but it's clearly set up for civil or other slow-moving firms, and not for traffic, which adds up to 10 clients a day and has many matter subject options.

Alyssa from Celski Law Firm PLLC

Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients...

Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients down from 2-3 days to 2-3 hours.

Pros

The ability to add charges on the go is a huge plus for the attorney. He can bill his time while in court.

Cons

Old client invoices, there needs to be a way to unlock invoices to allow payment on outstanding debt. I've contacted customer service and we had a backdoor way of doing it but the newest update to CL has erased that ability. So now old clients who have no active charges are inconvenienced and must come into the office to pay. Would love to see more functions for old accounts!

Response from CosmoLex of

Replied November 2017

Hi Alyssa. Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure I understand the issue you are having. Bills become locked for edits once a payment is received (which can be lifted), but future payments can still be applied, as long as there is a balance. You can resend old, open invoices which have a balance and then apply a payment to those whether by retainer, check or credit card. It does not matter how old they are. If there is something I am missing, or you have additional information which can assist, please email support@cosmolex.com and we will be happy to look into this further.

Nicholas from Legends Law Group, PLLC

CosmoLex staff know law and also know accounting.

Pros

We simply have not found anything else that integrates true accounting with timekeeping and related legal process workflow. Everything else we've used (I could make a list) fell short in terms of features or else required integration among multiple platforms (at a higher cost).

Cons

There is a bug in the reporting of accounts receivable that is causing us problems. We are eager to see that fixed. CosmoLex does not seem to have an internationally focused law practice in mind. We work with clients in 70 countries, in multiple currencies. We struggle a bit to make that work well--there are some hiccups.
Most other issues arise because our knowledge of accounting is poor, so we want to do things that should not be done (from an accounting perspective) or we don't know how to do them. Response time on our requests for help is sometimes slow. Our requests for additional features have not happened.

Christine from The Law Office of Christine L Freeman, LLC

Easy and Complete Legal Accounting Software.

I am collecting fees and costs more easily and without having to see the client or talk to them on the phone. They can pay directly through their invoice or reminder emails sent by the program. Same for the trust retainer. Links are easily sent to clients to deposit directly to trust. The program makes the accounting entries for you on in the general ledger and the bank accounts.

Pros

It does both front and back office capabilities. It is easy to access everything about a client. All time, billing and any other information needing to be entered is in one software application. No need to have Quick Books and some other legal software. Invoicing is easy to facilitate and clients can pay through links on the invoices.

This program interacts with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Google, LawPay and many others.

Cons

There are some reporting functions that are not yet available. This program still does not have a function for collecting Judgments on behalf of clients.

Carlo from LaMonica Law Firm LLC

My overall experience with CosmoLex has been excellent.

I love the product and can see myself integrating more of its features as my practice grows and I have a need for the more advanced features.

Pros

I like the fact that it is both a client management system and accounting system in one suite. The integration between both feature sets seems to work without any issues. Additionally, the accounting features are designed for lawyers. It was always a chore in the past to use "Quickbooks" for a law office, mostly because it isn't designed for that type of business.

Cons

There are certain default settings that I cannot change. For example, when I go into my operating account, the default filter is set to "Entered." I prefer to look at all transactions when I am reviewing my account: Entered, Posted, or otherwise. Much of CosmoLex is customizable, so I do not see why I cannot turn off the default filters for certain sections of the page.

Rebekah from Phelps-Chartered

Made specifically for law firms - cool!

For many years our firm used a number of different back office software products. For example, we used Easy Trust for trust accounting, Quick Books for financial accounting and payroll, and Timeslips for time and billing. These are all products that run on individual computers. About 3 years ago, the company that produced EasyTrust quit supporting that product. For the last 3 years we have basically been on our own regarding trust accounting. It has worked out okay to date, but at some point we knew that we would encounter an operating system problem or something and we would have had a substantial problem and the program would've stopped working and we would've had no support or help.

Pros

When we started looking for new trust accounting software, we saw that your product was made specifically for law firms - cool! It also combined trust accounting, financial accounting, time and billing, which was the most appealing aspect. But the fact that Cosmolex is cloud-based, cinched it for us. Because our office manager (who oversees and reconciles the trust accounting -- that is, the software is on her computer) telecommutes from her house. So every time I needed to enter credit card payments, Trust deposits, write checks, etc., I had to drive 3 miles to her house. So being able to do a lot of that work from the office, has been wonderful.

Cons

Your product is intimidating! It encompasses several different departments and getting everyone on the same page took (and will continue to take) a good amount of time. But your training videos and free support have really helped us. As a suggestion, perhaps transcribing the training videos might be useful for a quick reference?

Katrina from Anders, Young, Strong & Jonah

The switchover was a challenge, but I am very pleased that we did this!

Very positive.... and sooo much better than the primary competitor in the Canadian market. The cost is a little high (particularly for licenses for support staff who are only using the software for a few minutes every day).

Pros

Web based; Ease of use right from the start; Excellent training tools; Excellent customer service;

Most of my clients really appreciate the customer portal - I expect that as my clients are, as a group, more inclined to use technology to manage their legal affairs, they will be using it more.

The reconciliation of trust accounts with the option to simply download and compare entries is very simple and helpful.

Cons

Some of the more advance functionalities still need work. As an example, we still haven't figured out how to create several template invoices for fixed rate matters (the fixed rate will vary based on the type of matter); there have also been some challenges with the coding of our letterhead (which works fine in a Word document) so we have had to use a work-around.

August 2016

William from Law Office of William C. Mack

August 2016

Excellent Law Practice Management App

have been using Cosmolex since its introduction and am very happy with the application. I started using the software just for trust accounting, but found its easy-to-navigate interface so easy to use that I started keeping time and expenses and using the billing function as well. Then Cosmolex added full back-end accounting functionality and I ditched my QuickBooks app altogether. Cosmolex continues to add functionality and compatibility. It's a great app for managing your law practice.

Pros

Easy-to-use interface
Accurate trust accounting
Broadening functionality
Complete integration of functions
Growing compatibility with other class-leading applications

Cons

The only thing I am wishing for is the ability to generate documents from the Cosmolex database, but this is coming I am told!

Pierce from Adkins Law Firm

This App is Geared More Towards Transactional Law Practices

Pros

Cosmolex is easy to use and to implement. Initially, Customer Support was great, but now not so much. Customer support is still better than any other legal accounting product I have used from Lexis or Westlaw, even Clio. The company is generally pretty good about responding to its customers inquiries; but, you typically have to wait about 4 to 6 hours or the next day or two for a technical support person to call you back and sometimes they don't. The billing features are great for a small transactional law practice or family law practice, but not so much for a firm that handles heavy amounts of civil litigation for commercial clients, which requires reporting and data feed back. Trust accounting on Cosmolex is fantastic and allows for contingency fees in PI cases. Overall, its ease of use and simple interface is why we continue to use it.
Compared to most legal accounting and billing software, training employees is easy and they offer tons of opportunities to attend free webinar classes and are great at assisting you in getting your employees up and running. Altogether, it is not bad if you have other software or services to cover document and case management, but is expensive considering its deficiencies in this area.

Cons

The biggest Con is that there is a clear the lack of usable reports, no way to export client data for analysis and forecasting, third party integrations with Office is a work in progress for 2+ years and Cosmolex should absolutely not be relied on for Case Management in a litigation practice. If you are going to use Cosmolex, I would suggest doing so only for the accounting (w/ trust features) and billing for noncommercial clients. Cosmolex provides linking with your Drobox Account but is very limited when it comes to document management and your space is dependent what you purchase from other third-party companies for storage. We use the client portal for our clients to upload new case documents securely, but that is absolutely those are the only documents “managed” by Cosmolex. Docketing for litigation would be a nightmare if you depended on this software (especially for those that have midsize firms or handle multiple cases for companies). Reporting and data analysis is nonexistent. Cosmolex is absolutely not Microsoft Office friendly and has little to no integration with Microsoft products, despite the way it appears on their website. It will not integrate with on premises Exchange Server 2016, SQL or Power BI so you have to enter everything twice and have other software or services to cover its deficiencies. Calendaring features are worthless unless your firm uses Gmail as your firm email and calendaring system. The calendar may now integrate with 365 but does not have a way to customize jurisdictional presets for counting deadlines like most case management software that integrates with your calendar through Exchange. Altogether, the lack of even usable Excel or .PDF reports is the worst thing about Cosmolex. Report features, including AR ledgers and Invoice listing reports for a client with multiple ongoing cases is worthless. There is also no way to segregate your fees for fee recoverable causes of action, which is required in Texas when you are seeking attorney’s fees from the opposing side. Reports in Cosmolex could not be more unorganized. Trying to pull usable billing data over a period of time longer than one year is virtually impossible unless you want to do it by cutting and pasting from poorly formatted excel spreadsheets, which makes it difficult as hell to analyze client data over a period of time. Overall, all legal accounting software I have seen is terrible, Cosmolex is just less terrible than most. I think we are going to be moving on shortly to something else.

Morgan from Strow Law LLC

July 2016

Billing is great! Case management, not so much.

We are a two attorney firm with one paralegal. We chose Cosmolex for the trust accounting feature. We were looking for a program that could do it all - keep the books and manage the cases.

Pros

I love the billing and trust accounting features. Cosmolex really shines with maintaining the operating and trust accounts separately as well as generating invoices for our billable work.

Cons

The software is cumbersome, taking several clicks to get to information. The features I need most on the case management side are contacts and notes. The contacts drive me nuts! If I'm in Bob Jones' case, I want to see a list of all the other people involved such as other attorneys, witnesses, or other relevant parties. With Cosmolex, one has to go to a separate contacts page and link them rather than entering the information directly into the matter. The note taking feature is improving now that more characters are allowed, but it still leaves much to be desired for those who are answering client calls and wanting to log the information right away. It seems like it would be fine for a transactional practice but it's less than ideal for litigation.

Response from CosmoLex of

Replied July 2016

Hi Morgan, I am sorry to hear that while you love the billing & accounting functions of CosmoLex, you are not as thrilled with our case management functions. Specifically, it seems like a lot of your suggestions have to do with our contact management functions . If possible, we'd love to take few minutes of your time offline to go over your specific observations and improvement ideas. Also, we can update you on many of the new features and improvements which are currently in the works. At CosmoLex, our sole focus is to provide our clients with a better product each month and your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Erica Birstler, Manager, Client Services Dept.

March 2015

Pete from Weinman Law Offices

March 2015

I can't imagine practicing law without this essential tool.

Pros

My practice is focused primarily on residential real estate in NY and NJ and I represent a lot of lenders, so I have been relying upon Easy Soft’s hud-1 program and their billing/trust accounting program for years, so when I learned about everything CosmoLex had to offer, I was excited to jump in.

What really separates CosmoLex from the others is that it’s completely cloud based and also offers a full IOLA/IOLTA accounting system. I’m able to login from the office, from home, and even on the road from my smart phone to add billable events, log and print checks, or search for anything I need.

Because I’m a sole practitioner, I don’t have an IT department to help me install/upgrade my programs and the people at CosmoLex actually converted my existing data and had me up and running in about 15 minutes. Knowing that my data (and the programs) are off-site means less to worry about if and when a computer at my office should fail - and not having to worry about re-installing and restoring data (just knowing that it’s always safe and ready to access) makes sleeping at night a little easier.

The controls are intuitively setup and searching for matters by client or other keyword or searching transactions by dollar amount, etc., could not be easier. I’ve already watched some of their online tutorials and when those did not help me understand something, I contacted tech support for personalized support and training that did the trick every time!

Cons

Nothing comes to mind so far. It's everything I need.

Jeanne from Powell & Associates

CosmoLex was the only one I found that had accounting built in

Our former practice management software was outdated and no longer supported by the developer. We were looking for something that would allow us the features we were used to in our personal technologies, such as cloud based storage and usability on multiple platforms, not just desktop PC as our old software required. We've been more than impressed with the bells and whistles, many of which we realize are features we now can't live without!

Pros

Built in accounting was the biggest deal breaker for our choosing CosmoLex. As the bookkeeper, fed up with our clunky old software, I was looking for a new system that would be a modern and practical take on practice management and CosmoLex was the only one I found that had accounting built in. Being cloud based allows us to bill time or check in when out of the office and though we had looked at another program that was cloud based, CosmoLex offered greater flexibility and it looks great, to boot.

Cons

Our office would love to see some updates for the calendar and tasks - specifically a central office calendar that is the default view. We are composed of two attorneys and two support staff where we are all working on the same cases. Short of adding each event to four individual calendars it would great to have everything on one sort of "home" calendar where we can all easily view and comment.

Robert from Roseman Legal Group