Deltek Vision Reviews

4.08 / 5 (424)

Our advisors have recommended this product 4 times in the last 30 days

Feature Ratings Breakdown

Funtionality

• Pros

• "Full accounting modules that provide, good billing, and reporting"

• "It can be used for projects, time, PTO and personal and professional data"

• "Ability to collect data and analyze the results quickly"

• "The ease of access and search ability in each info center. The capability to customize to what we need to see."

• Cons

• "I have smaller clients and it is overkill for what they need plus it is so expensive for small offices."

• "invoicing is not working, its been close if not a year."

• "The dashboard needs to be easier to create, and allow better reporting"

• "The Application is still required for most work and needs IE and .NET which I understand is going to be phased out next year."

Filter reviews by:

Sort by: Most Helpful | Most Recent

Showing 1-20 of 424 reviews

Do you use this product?Write a review

Rhonda from Dewberry

I'm a believer in Deltek Vision

Pros

We use Vision for CRM and Proposals-Custom Proposals and Government forms. I love the connectivity between your firms, contacts with your opportunities and jobs. Using Vision enables us to store and retrieve our corporate history and the story of us...our projects, our people and our client relationships. I confess I am a power-user and have done most of the configuration to the system, so therefore understand it more than most others, but I can provide data of any kind from our system. We are integrated with a different accounting platform, so I can also provide up-to-date project reporting. We also use an intranet connector that makes our information easily obtainable/viewable through PC and mobile app (not the Deltek mobile app). I have used the Deltek Vision product since 2005 and had prior Deltek products since the late 1990's. Dewberry is a 2,000 person firm with 50 office locations in 18 states.

Cons

Although I live and breathe Deltek Vision, numerous people at our firm just can't grasp the details and complain that it is not user friendly. The learning curve seems slow for some people to overcome, actually many people, but once it's figured out, there seems to be high value in their usage. I like the custom reporting tool but my users find it so difficult that most refuse to use it. I think the most successful firms will have a Vision expert and a strong IT (SQL, reports) and application team on staff. If not, you probably would need a consultant. My team has been able to keep everything in house to date.

David from Hacker Architects

Twelve Years as a Deltek User

In 2004, the professional services firm I worked for was managing a $10M/year business using Quickbooks. It was clunky and problematic, with no real analytic capability (i.e., where and how were we making money). I investigated various solutions, and discovered Deltek Vision. We hired an outside consultant to install and configure Vision for us,and life changed. We suddenly had a true business management solution. As the CFO, I finally had a tool that could give me true insight into the underpinning of our business,and where were profitable (and where we were not). Two years later, at a architectural firm, I inherited Axiom Protrax, practically a DOS-based solution. I quickly tired of operating with a 20-year old platform, and advocated for Vision. Having experienced one implementation,I was not enthused with dropping $60K for an outside party to tell me what to do to configure the system. So, over three months,I single-handedly configured and implemented Vision at a 50-person architectural firm. And it has made all the difference. Vision has continued to grow, through internal development and outside acqusition, and through it all they have maintained a consistent look and feel to the product. Adding functionality without detracting from the user experience. And their customer support has remained top-notch. I love the quick chat. If I just have a quick question, I can go quick chat, and quickly resolve my issues. I love this produce, and it meets the needs of my business.

Pros

The user experience. The ability to customize the interface. The ability to quickly drill down into reports.

Cons

It is such a rich,deep product that some of its functionality remains unused.

Tony from Concentric

See your Vision with Deltek!!!

This product is specifically designed to support the complete project lifecycle of professional services firms, Deltek Vision helps measure your most critical business functions. From pipeline building and client management to project execution and financial management, Deltek Vision users can experience measurable benefits immediately, including increased employee utilization, streamlined project management, reduced DSO and increased margins and profitability.

Pros

Deltek Vision's is a software solution that allows you utilize custom proposal modules and government forms modules to cut down on hours off of proposal preparation. Because Deltek is the "source of truth" for our employee history and project history we are able to easily and quickly pull information from Vision onto proposal templates in minutes. Pulling information from a centralized archive it gives our users confidence in the data, employee updates/feedback are made one time (in Vision) instead having to always start the process over whenever a new proposal document is presented to the employee and gives our marketing professionals the extra time needed to craft the proposal to meet the RFP and client requested information. We use Deltek Vision to support our Strategic Plan goal for the company growing and win more work!

Cons

The user interface is extremely difficult to get used to. Since we started using this software my group has received a lot of calls from people in my organization who are unsure how to do basic searches and will ask us for help/assistance because they'd rather not deal with it. The main thing that is not intuitive is its search function, which is critical.

Susan from Civil Engineering

Used Vision's General Ledger primarily in my role to produce month end and year end financial stmts.

Pros

The general ledger was easy and logical for an accountant. The work breakdown structure allowed for reporting consolidated reports as well as subsidiary level, office level, and departmental reports. Vision handled large amounts of transactions and data efficiently.

Vision offers functionality to do time sheets and expense reports remotely.

Vision has great security features that can remove access to certain areas or information based on an employees role in the Company. It is easy to remove rights immediately when employees leave the Company. In addition, roles can control who can make changes or post transactions.

Vision allows for automated reporting. For example, an Accounts Receivable report can be automatically sent to an employee's email on a scheduled basis.

Cons

The software is not logical for non-accountants. The software is primarily for A'E firms but very difficult for those users. Most of the engineers are unable to write and run project reports. When they do get a report, the report isn't easily understood.

The software is difficult to support internally and requires a database specialist to get maximum value. Vision contains a massive amount of data but the canned reports do not always offer the different types of data in same report. Unless you can write custom reports, you will have to pay expensive consulting fees.

Debra from CallisonRTKL Inc.

Searching for data results in quick results, good report generation feature, easy to edit.

Information about each project such as who is the PM, lead architect, lead accountant, project location, legacy data, status, etc. is essential to our business. We can easily search for all current projects in any city, state, province, country. Our PMs use this to keep track of payments, invoices, employees assigned to the project, budget data, and documents stored on our servers can be linked from within a record. We can view other projects for the vendor or client.

Pros

It allows me to have three databases open. In my case, Projects, Employees and Timesheets. It's great to toggle between them without having to log out and in again. Data retrieval is quick. It allows me to search for very specific information so my results don't overwhelm. Data access is controlled at the user level so people cannot edit fields without proper permission. Before Vision, we used a database that contained project numbers that were preserved in the Vision database. So if we need to look up project data based on the old number, we are able to. This saves us a lot of time.

Cons

It is difficult to learn this software on your own beyond searching. There are so many features that allow us to look at the data in several ways. Most of those ways are unknown to me so training is required. I would suggest that companies provide proper training before implementing it firmwide to avoid frustration.

Imran from Institute of Business Administration

A Fully Integrated Solution Software with Great Features

Deltek Vision has a database where I can put all my information for each assignment / project. Deltek for me is a fully integrated service product that can provide Managers, Heads and other office staff detailed information about the financial status of any department or segment in real time.

Pros

Deltek Vision has easy to use tools that allow all the operators – from high level Managers to back office staff members the ability to view and understand where the company’s resources and project budgets stand at any given time. Deltek Vision allows a lot of customization and flexibility that can be very helpful for any individual in his company. One amazing feature is that Deltek Vision provides extensive functions of project management all in one single program like expense reports, budget planning, time sheets, auditing etc. Managing work utilization is very useful for me because a lot of my team members are spread in distinct locations throughout the country who are working on the same project.

Cons

A major flaw of Deltek is that the system's outlook is very outdated. I personally felt that Deltek Vision was lacking in the expense report department. Reports are very hard to export. Even so, when I export the reports to excel, the formatting is completely undesirable, and I must spend a few minutes to format them.

Sandra from Rice Engineering, Inc.

Vision Review by Accounting

Vision has good features and is lacking in some features. Vision used to be able to alphabetize A/R Statements when we initially started using it. Through upgrades, Vision lost that feature that we found valuable for our billing process. Vision is lacking in end of year reporting functionality. For example, end of year 1099 functionality is lacking. States require the account id assigned to companies to be reported on 1099s. Vision is currently unable to print accurate paper copies nor is it able to provide an accurate electronic file. Customer support was not able to help me and I had to manually edit the electronic file in order to have a 1099-MISC that would pass our state's criteria. Vision does not provide reporting for form 1099-INT which I need for reporting interest on shareholder payouts. Financial reporting is lacking some. Balance Sheets typically have Assets on page 1 and Liabilities and Equity on page 2. I have not found a way to easily achieve this with settings in Vision. I have employees that would like to be able to review their payroll withholdings and paystubs at any given time, but are not able to do that. At times, Vision is disappointing for the Accounting department. At other times, it is a rock star for us.

Pros

Integregrates the engineers project management with accounting reporting.

Cons

Payroll tax/End of Year Tax Reporting is lacking.

Jun from RMA Architects Inc.

Powerful yet not so user friendly.

Not so user friendly, too much steps to get one voucher in. Entering description is not so easy and flexible, keep getting too much error message.

Pros

Biggest help is that It has WIP feature where we can keep track or our work in progress without outsourcing to vendors. It offers full accounting functions.

Cons

In the reports, info are not easily accessible with clicking the items you want to see. VIsual weakness where it does not disclose all info in the window and cannot adjust borders left or right to fully expose all info...always need to use left and right scroll to enter or see the whole line.. voucher and invoice number too short, can't fit long numbers,
All the modules are not available...can't tell if other modules that we don't have licenses are useful to us or we need it if we don't know how it works or what it can do,,,,it doesn't give trial period like quickbooks or peachtree where we can test it for short period.

Reports are too much options but doesn't have options that allows us to see more clearly. Visual really too messy...would like to see simpler and clear reports.

Rob from Danielian Associates

Could build an aircraft carrier with this software or use it to run a small destroyer, depending on your needs.

Overall as compared to the other 5 ERP systems I have used over the years I have to say Vision is one of the best out there, especially for project oriented tracking. Deltek is also a company looking for improvement and advancement within their programs. The new generation they are working on to Vision takes the program to a very modern and more robust place. Great things are coming!

Pros

Has the ability to be customized in many ways to improve functionality and process routine tasks behind the scenes with workflows. Great when you want scheduled reports to be pushed out to staff on a regular basis, can be either be emailed or sent to a dashboard. System is fairly easy to use and navigate once you get the hang of it. However, the size and capability can be off putting if you give too much access to none power users.

Cons

Although there are many reports and lots of options within each report they can also be limiting. For example if you wanted to run an A/R graph for aging you can only choose three options (Current, 30, & 60 days). Therefore if you have five options (Current, 30+, 60+, 90+, 120+) you will need to run two graphs to see all the info. However, if you have someone who know SQL you can design and write your own reports which is a plus.

Katherine from KatherineNixon.com

Deltek Vision ERP Implementation needs an onsite professional

The controller left December 31st. The company went live February 1st. I began February 6th and I had never seen Deltek Vision before that day. Deltek Vision is a powerful, project management software which can help you have almost real-time visibility into all aspects of your business. Hi, my name is Kathy Nixon and I am a CPA, a PMP, and a professional coach. Post-acquisition mergers of systems, processes, and teams is my niche. This assignment had me serving as interim corporate controller of a $130M+ Revenue company who was merging its three companies currently on Quickbooks all into one system, Deltek Vision. Greatest take-aways: 1. Designate a Subject Matter Expert. It can be a Deltek Vision consultant or a third-party consultant with heavy Deltek Vision experience. 2. Develop a Steering Committee across all company disciplines and meet weekly. Decision making and joint buy-in is important. 3. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate. Communication to all areas of your organization is imperative to the success of the implementation. 4. Train, review, test, train some more. It takes a village to raise this child. 5. Designate or hire a project manager. For success, you need someone focused on all areas of this software's implementation. Setup, testing of setup, training, input, verify input accuracy, invoicing, collections, accounting and financial reporting. 6. Expect 6 months (to a year) before everyone is onboard. 7. Develop a budget which includes 5 times the software's cost. Yes, five times. It is a pay me now or pay to correct it later proposition. Good luck! Wishing you success. Let me know how I can help.

Chelsee from Andrews Engineering

Deltek Review from a billing standpoint

Deltek Vision is mainly well suited for project managers to view project data in one place and also for billing purposes. It allows you to view a project as whole or drill down and see a certain time frame. Deltek Vision could be updated to be more HR inclusive. Right now we can only use it for time and expense and also payroll.

Pros

The time sheet and expense entering are very detailed and users can log time from iAccess if they are out of the office as well as upload to receipts straight into vision. It works great as a billing system. it's pretty straight forward and being able to run batches or also single invoices depending on your need is helpful.
It has a wide variety of reporting and you can also customize report to drill down and pull the info you need.

Cons

It can be difficult for new users and somewhat overwhelming. You need to be familiar with customizing reports to be able to get what you want. The default reports don't usually provide what information is needed. I really hate that we still have to use internet explorer to access vision.

Joel from CloudFactory

Deltek Vision Review

It makes planning for business finance simpler. With an amazing interface (dashboard for quick access), you can make plans and generate detailed reports needed for decision-making.

Pros

When it comes to everything accounting, this tool is reliable and effective. You can effectively manage budgeting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue report and financial forecasts. Financial planning requires accuracy and detailed info and therefore, it can be daunting when you are dealing with several projects at a go that require planning. This tool saves you all the trouble and helps you plan accordingly .

Secondly, it makes organization pretty simple. You can determine which of your staff are suitable for a particular project based on previous reports detailing their performance on the project.

You can also get to the root of issues because everything is pretty much detailed. Businesses have ups and downs from time to time and having a tool that helps you get to the bottom of hindrances is an added advantage.

It guarantees you great and reliable insight with features such as payroll, mobile app, expense management and client invoice among others.

Cons

Though it fully covers planning for business in nearly all aspects, I'd really ask that they check out resource planning.

Document implementation shouldn't have hitches at all. That also should be checked.

Sue from Omega & Associates Engineering Ltd

Deltek Vision - Wonderful Program to Control & Grow Your Project Based Business

Deltek Vision is a work horse of a software program. Its functionality is extensive and requires a full time person to be invested fully into set up and maintenance of the many features available. We find that we aren't able to use many of the great features simply because we don't have the time to explore and learn them all. Reporting features are fantastic and so useful in project management. Highly recommend this program for any project based company.

Pros

The reporting features are so inclusive that you really can get any info you need at the click of report once you have them set up.

Cons

It relies on accurate entry of data so I can't even say that there's a negative about the software just that you need consistent processes of input in order for the features to work efficiently.

Jeanice from Kuhlmann Design Group, Inc.

My Experience

Overall, Vision is good. One feature I do not care for is the reporting and the fields are not in alphabetical order. I love the advanced search feature in reporting. I love the A/R transaction input experience where you just pull the invoice and it puts everything in. That is outstanding. Timesheets is another great feature of Deltek. One thing I feel needs to improve is the A/R search under the Accounting Tab/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review, if you don't know the invoice number and search by client, it pulls all projects for that client. It should only pull those projects with outstanding A/R. I don't care for the customer service thru the help. Calling was much better.

Pros

The A/R transaction entry, the advanced search in reporting, timesheet processes.

Cons

The project reporting list of fields not in alphabetical order when you are trying to create a report. I know you can sort but it would take that step away if it was automatic. The search for an invoice number under Accounting/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review.

Stephanie from VCBO Architecture

Deltek Vision has everything an A&E firm needs to run its daily business. From project planning on.

Pros

Everything that you need is in one software program. You can plan a new project, see which employees are available to sssign tasks to, and run payroll all with out leaving the software. Reports, including custom reporting, is quick and as easy as selecting what you want the report to show and hitting preview. From there you can print or save as either a PDF or as an excel spreadsheet which makes the reports even more versatile. With the addition of iAccess it's helping the 'away-from-the-office' employees be able to check time sheets and project info from anywhere.

Cons

The learning curve for implementing features not previously used is a little steep. There's not a lot of "free" tutorials for setting up features to begin with, although you can find quite a bit of information about using features once you have them set up correctly.

Leigh from ECS, Inc. - ATC Associates

Review of Vision

I used Vision from July 2007 thru the present, my company was bought out last fall and we are forced to switch to BST as our accounting system. Vision is infinitely superior to BST. BST is an abomination it takes twice as long AT LEAST to do anything. I wish we could continue to use vision. It was more flexible, intuitive and efficient.

Pros

It is intuitive and versatile and could be used to meet our customers needs.

Cons

Compared to BST which I have to use now I love everything about Vision. When I had not experienced the contrast I would say there were some fields that you typed in that you had to expand to use and that was a nuisance. Or that in interactive billing there is a lot of gray space that I would rather see my data in. However, I had ever used BST before I would have be thrilled to open the screen to change the notes instead of 5 components to do one invoice.

Diana from TRC Companies Inc.

Great product, customizable and great support

Centralized Project based accounting and reporting.

Pros

The customer support at Deltek is great, they are always available to help you out with questions you may have wither technically or application use. Vision is also customizable, they have a talented staff that is able to help customize the software to your business's needs. Standard out of box features are easy to use and the company is always looking for input from customers to improve it's use.

Cons

It get a little bit more on the cumbersome side to use if your a larger company, although I feel like this might in part be due to our customization of the software as well. As mentioned in my Pros, Deltek's support staff is always helpful in any situation so with their help we can usually work through any issues that occur.

Jon from GGLO

Can do almost anything you want, but not intuitive

Vision has the ability to track time and expenses and prepare project plans and report out that information in infinite detail. Benefits to your firm can be vast from timesheets, to project plans to CRM data and coordination. However its unlimited potential also leads to a lack of intuitive processes for the casual user. Lots of training time is required for high performance users to be able to track and understand the data and reporting and connection. Can require significant time to accurately input and adjust details as project fees and schedules change.

Pros

Ability to report out data and create customizable reports and methods of reviewing and previewing that data. Useful for forecasting and reviewing upcoming projects.

Cons

Not user friendly or intuitive. Field names and connections to other fields are not readily apparent. Takes years to become fluent in the program.

Chelsee from Andrews Engineering

Deltek Vision

We use vision for billing, invoicing is made simpler and PMs have an easier time managing their projects. iAccess greatly helps PM's get a quick snapshot of their projects on a daily basis - which means more efficiency.

Pros

Time and expense management as well as reporting and being able to drill down for PMs on certain aspects of their projects. The reporting functions well, and the batch billing is excellent for running large amounts of invoices at one time.

Cons

I don't like that it only runs on internet explorer - it's a bit outdated. I also wish that it was more HR inclusive.

It would be great if you could run unposted labor reports that included the billing rates which is a minor inconvenience. Also if you could run an unposted unit report as well that would greatly benefit the PMs.

Charon from Stillwater Sciences

Current User, Worked with Super Users

It has been a great tool. it makes me brush up on some financial skills that I haven't needed for a while. its useful for the whole company but I wish it were more easier to incorporate things as for all staff to learn. Overall I love working in Vision.

Pros

Its easy to lear, tons of data files to export and use. there are some very useful features. A company could run all financial aspects and management tools of their firm with this one system but for a bit of money. There are options to use this in the cloud. Training is available although at a cost. Many advantages, many uses.

Cons

Would be great if there was a ease of use for non-financial personnel. More useable help links that really get you to where you need to be, less costly. Wish it was not going away.