What are Quicken users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Quicken software through verified user reviews

• icon"It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web."
  • icon"I love the ease of use of this product and how straight forward the layout is. It is also very affordable."
  • icon"I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available."
  • icon"Quicken required user to pay for the new license to update the software to the new version. Since it is regularly updated, the software costs more than just a one-time expense."
  • icon"I have used Quicken for many years and what I dislike the most is that I can no longer purchase the software outright, without Intuit having their claws into my wallet."
  • icon"Quicken blames the banks, but really how can multiple national banks be wrong when Quicken is the company we are paying for this service."

Browse all Quicken Reviews

• Have you used Quicken and would like to share your experience with others?

Harlan

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Quicken works for a smaller office or business

Susan

March 2022

Ideal for My Solorpreneur Marketing Consulting Business

I am very pleased with the ease of entering data into the system. It saves me the cost of having a bookkeeper. I am able to categorize expenses myself and take full advantage of knowing what i was buying for business and for personal life. I know it is saving my a lot on my taxes, as I have proof of my deductions versus just guessing. It used to take me days to prepare my docs for my CPA not it is in a matter of hours I have all the numbers she will need.

Pros

The best feature I like is the way you can split items on a receipt into their own categories. For example, I go to Walgreens and buy cosmetics, copy paper, thank you notes, and business head shot photo prints. I enter Walgreens for the Payee, then I assign / split where the expenses will go in my categories. Cosmetic - Personal Care, Copy Paper, thank you notes - Business: Office Supplies, Photo prints - Business: Photography. I make my tax reporting a breeze for my Schedule C line items. I also love generating reports on income and expenses. Great for planning or estimating funds for seasonal work loads.

Cons

It actually has more features than I want to use. For example - the investment section, I tried to use it - but to enter buy - sell information and dividends and details was way too time consuming for me. I just as soon get my reports from my brokerage firm.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

I was told to use Quickbooks, but when I tried it - it was way too complex for me. I do not like to generate invoices in the accounting software - which Quickbooks is big on. I stopped using it, and I went to the simpler more basic Quicken for Home, Business and Rental Property. Expenses and Income in and reports out. Bingo. It has served me well.

Emerson

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Have used it for years, still liking it!

Good, easy tool to track your money, some technical issues with downloading.

Pros

Quicken quickly and efficiently tracks all my spending, earning and investments, and I have been able to link most of my accounts so it does it automatically.

Cons

Not all accounts can be linked, especially not international ones. And occasionally it has brought in duplicate transactions which are a nightmare to reconcile.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

Quicken automates the interface with my banks and investment firms, so I don't have to maintain a bunch of different spreadsheets - and it gives me a fast, easy dashboard to keep it updated and see where I stand at a glance.

Kelli

May 2022

Easier to learn that Quickbooks but not as many features

Works really well for keeping track of spending across multiple accounts and offers simple solutions for designating expenses.

Pros

I was able to easily import out multiple business accounts into Quicken, something I was not able to do with Quickbooks. Updating accounts is quick and easy too. I like the simple flagging option that allows me to mark a transaction for later investigation.

Cons

Will not generate a simple profit and loss statement based on accounts. I understand Quicken is meant more for personal, than business use, but it would still be a nice feature to have.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

Actually just added to Quickbooks to keep track of spending in a simpler more user friendly format.

Adam

Best choice for home finances

Quicken has great tools to help you monitor progress towards your financial goals

Pros

I've need satisfied with this product for years to do my home bookkeeping and budgeting. The reporting and tools make it easy for anyone

Cons

There were some bugs in earlier versions that caused confusion and inconvenience but they seem to be rectified now

Barry

Industry: Ranching

Analyzing your investments

Great until Placeholder entries were added.

Pros

Great for managing bank accounts and credit card accounts.

Cons

There needs to be a way to stop Placeholder entries. I check my own investment accounts an like to make corrections. Placeholder entries make it very difficult to correct input errors. If you input income for an investment account and use the reinvest action, the investment performance report can't be used. The amount is added and subtracted for the report. To remove cash from an account, three or more actions (XOU, Withdraw and Withdrawx) can be used. Unfortunately, some reports only have one of these actions and that hasn't been used in the database.

Fernando

Great experience. The technology is great. Just hard to keep up with the monthly fees for a small business.

Pros

I like it. I just don't like monthly fees or having to upgrade to be able to connect bank accounts for automatic upgraded on my financial statements.

Cons

Good software. Easy to use and practical. Helps you accomplish accounting needs in an easy way. Connecting directly to your banks helps you get things done faster.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

Price and free connection and bank account info upgrades for free. Since they started charging to upgrade to be able to get the bank information automatically upgraded, as per the needs of my small business, I have switched to another software that lets me connect and upgrade the info for free.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

Price. It was cheaper, and in the beginning, I could connect to my bank accounts and upgrade my bank info for free.

Aryana

quicken is inexpensive but has errors

I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available. There was a lot of trouble importing transactions which is why I stopped using it. It wouldn't import automatically and I had to download from the bank and Paypal and then upload.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

The lack of importing made it really hard to work with Quicken. I also liked that Kashoo is cloud-based and their customer service is awesome.

Brittany

Overall I would highly recommend the use of this system for a small business or individual who needs a little help with their budgeting or accounting. It is very easy to use and has a lot of features that are very useful on the day to day.

Pros

Quicken is a great program that makes budgeting and account easy and printing checks is super convenient and easy. I really liked how simple it is to print a check and edit or void anything that may have printed incorrectly. Reviewing transactions and the ledger is also very straight forward and easy. Works great for creating budgets as well.

Cons

Overall I think this is a really great product but one downside I would say is I would sometimes have problems when running a reconciliation in our accounts that wouldn't always clear things properly. The other downside is we cannot have our accountant access the account remotely to review things for us whereas other systems allow for that option which is very convenient.

Leslie

Good product

Good product but maybe could be better on cloud storage.

Pros

Easy to use on a day in day out basis. THe app is good.

Cons

Not the easiest when you are changing machines. I have used the program for a few years now and changed laptops and it is not easy to import old data.

April 2022

Quicken...it is what it is...

Pros

It's desktop software and runs extremely fast and can easily have many different windows open.

Cons

The iOS mobile sync could be faster/better.

Kirby

Why I chose Quicken

Pros

Quicken is very easy to use. Tracking spending is simple.

Cons

It doesn't have any flaws that I can find.

Lack of availability for Mac

I cannot say more than I already have. I’ve had to save information on my Mac and then pick it up on my PC just to send an invoice. This is inconvenient. It takes time that could be better off spend doing other things. Please, Quicken, bring Home and Business to Mac. Also, allow the ability to edit previous entries. I’ve noticed issues in the past that could have been easily fixed with an edit button, but you cannot. This should be fixed. As the leader in accounting software, it should have more features available than it does.

Pros

Quicken seems to be the go-to accounting software in the industry, so naturally we went with it. We were very happy with Quicken, as it is easy to teach to our new employees. I also really like the seamlessness of the program between a Mac and a PC. My laptop is a Mac while my home computer is a PC, and I find that the program itself is very similar on both platforms, and thus very easy to use. However, we initially intended to purchase Quicken for Home and Business, but it is not available for Mac, so we had to take a step back and purchase Quicken Premier. This was more than slightly annoying, but we managed to make it work.

Cons

The lack of availability of Home and Business for Mac is a big con for me. The Home and Business program allows for custom invoices, which would look really good for our small business. We also wanted the ability to track our profit and loss, so we purchased it for my home computer. We can still send out the custom invoices on our PCs, but it would be a lot easier if it were available for Mac. Hopefully, there will be an option to purchase Home and Business in the future for Mac.

Patrick

Best Desktop Accounting Software

That software allows you to back up in the cloud and your computer. It has all the special effects at Quickbooks.

Pros

Ease of use and it allows you to add multiple businesses or personal accounts. The price is what it should be for accounting software. Excellent Support, I used the support two times and was very impressed with the customer service.

Cons

No way that I know of to recover the password vault.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

It's the old Quicken but better.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

The price, it's significantly less than most competitors.

Phil

Serious improvement is only possible with serious measurement

These days we all have multiple accounts: checking, savings, investing, real estate, retirement, etc. All these accounts are necessary in today's world, however, keeping track of them all is a serious problem. Quicken is a tool that will bring all of these accounts into a single dashboard and help you stay on top of all the changes. While Quicken is an older piece of software and will probably never see a full rewrite to make it more modern, it is the only option for serious personal finance and it works well enough to get the job done.

Pros

It allows me to stay on top of my finances by downloading transactions from all my accounts into a single dashboard. It allows me to answer any question I have about my finances.

Cons

It is slow! Simple tasks like reconciling an account can be aggravating as the hourglass icon comes up way more often then it should for a simple task. I have run this on a modern Intel Core i7 processor and it is still a dog. You definitely need to be patient with this software.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

Mint has very limited functionality. It gives you a decent overview and could be useful for those with basic personal finance needs. Mint is like the Ford Fiesta and Quicken is the F-150.

Thandile

Extraordinary for following your financial status, all around incredible.

Exceptional for getting your records all together and starting to see elevated perspective where you and your money is. I could have done without the evaporated features before my last update yet i'm adequate now. It's one of my essential applications!

Pros

It's a direct mechanical assembly to use for most business structures fit for managing trades, taking everything into account, and repeat. It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web. Having the option to see each record in one spot truly permits you to all the more likely control your funds and spending plan. It's absolutely the best.

Cons

What I have gotten extremely astounded with is the marking in and my intuit ID. At whatever point the systems logs me out, for no good reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my standard page, it makes another page and new record for me. It's terrifying and it has been occurring even more once in a while. In like manner, I do feel the spending section of the application could use some work. I genuinely cherished it as a matter of first importance, however at this point it is fairly a desolation to use and have not used it since.

MARK

Great financial tool! I would be lost without it!

I love this tool and use it daily to track all of my finances. i would be lost without it!

Pros

I love how quicken puts all of your financial companies all in one view. The biggest reason i switched from Yodlee was the fact you could add recurring future dated transactions. Many financial tracking tools do not have this. This was a make or break feature for me, as I like to see exactly how much money i will have in the bank in 30,60, 90 etc.. days in the future. Quicken does this, and does it wonderfully!

Cons

The only con I can think of is there are too many features. I am by no means a power user, and just use the basic transaction features. I do not use any of the budgeting tools or other such things, but I am sure they are very useful to others. It would be nice to see a simple mode that turned off many of those features if you are not using them

Reasons for switching to Quicken

i could not do future data transactions anymore

Industry: Law Practice

stay up to date quickly with quicken

We first started using this back in 2003. we have used the different versions over time as they upgrade. It is great because our account is well versed in the program, and therefore it saves us time and money to do the year-end reports.

Pros

This program is very versatile. Our account appreciates the account version that we can send him to do our year ends or PPP. It saves from manually recording checks into the register, allows us to split receipts, and split how we pay. the program is easy to use, and our bookkeeper can find online help or customer service help quickly and accurately. This is a program that is worth the money, and you won't switch because the years build off of each other.

Cons

It takes a little time to understand how it works. You need to really pay attention to how you set your program up and enter the data to distinguish between vendors, clients, etc., overall a solid program accepted in the industry.

Roger

USe it daily and have since the early 1990,s

Pros

Puts all your finances in one place, updates all accounts with minimal keystrokes rather than having to go to each website yourself (Saving lots of time) works like an on-screen checkbook. See your net worth accounts and liabilities in one place. Navigation is easy as a click of the mouse.

Cons

Intuit, the author, recently sold Quicken to an Investment Group. When Microsoft dropped MS Money, Quicken became the Monopoly in the market. Now the new company made some changes and icons are different, some screens have pop-up windows that don't work right, and the internet is full of complaints from long time users. Most of the glitches I found are minor, but changes were made so that everyone had to renew in-order to be able to access all your accounts online with Quicken, a strategy they may use to continually force upgrades and fees! Watch for this. This is what happens when someone sees a chance to capitalize on a monopoly!

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

A Product Whose Time Has Passed

Pros

Quicken for more than a decade has been "the" standard for personal financial management and I used it for many years to track my families spending habits, transactions, retirement and more. It's "the" gold standard for anyone looking to track their financial health.

Cons

Multiple online products, including Mint which is also owned by Intuit that makes Quicken, covers 90% of the features/functions that you would normally run on your computer. For those that don't want to trust their information to such web/cloud services then Quicken still remains a viable option. However, in recent years Quicken has begun to scale back on services like Bill Pay as banks and other online services take over. I don't think Quicken is going away any time soon, but it's very clear that it's time has passed and it's only a matter of time until Intuit makes the decision to retire the software.

Lynn

Don't give up - it's probably worth it.

I had used many different types of accounting software for small and large businesses. So when I wanted a software program for my own purposes, and to grow from our personal finances into a small side business, I expected to use Quickbooks because I was familiar. Someone recommended Quicken. I tried to set it up 3 times in a free trial period, but it seemed very difficult, so I let it slide. One slow day, I persevered and completed the set up. Thank goodness I did. Once the set up is complete, the functioning is so much smoother and easier than Quickbooks was for my purposes. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I am saving time and money by using Quicken now. Well worth the effort in the set up.

Pros

The functionality has impressed me. It's bill pay feature is better than I had anticipated, and it's layout and easy viewing is making it one of my new favorite accounting software programs - and I've had many. I didn't think I would want to stray from Quickbooks, but 3 months in and I am thinking I may not want to ever go back. Correction.... I am thinking I may not ever NEED to go back.

Cons

I was a little overwhelmed in the set up - which is why I set up my accounts in the free trial 3 times and let it sit for months. It seemed too daunting and I was scared it would be way too complex and difficult to navigate. I just didn't give it chance. Once you get past the start, it's way easier, I believe, than Quickbooks. Simpler, so it may not be for everyone, but it is for my purposes.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

Eventually....ease of use. Very user friendly after the initial set up.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

Recommendation of family member.

Cheryl

Great Personal Bookkeeping Software

I really love using Quicken. I would definitely recommend it for use for personal bookkeeping.

Pros

Quicken is very, very easy to use. It is great for bookkeeping for personal accounts. The basic Quicken does not track debt and investments, so if you want to do that you have to upgrade to the more expensive one.

Cons

This software cannot really be used for business use. Also, I used to be able to buy the CD and install it on my computer and use it for 3 or 4 years. Now you have to pay a yearly fee to use the software. Also, when I bought the CD I could keep up with my loans and investments. Now you have to pay quite a bit more to do that.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

It was a long, long time ago when I decided to use Quicken. I am glad I did not use Microsoft Money because I don't believe they even make it anymore.

Doug

have to hold your nose to deal with thieving Intuit (maker of quicken)

it sucks; see the cons.

Pros

works most of the time but not always as upgrades have frequently broke my configured reports

Cons

they changed to a subscription service a couple years ago and force you to pay every year when I (and millions of other users) were perfectly content with the software that we already paid them for. While I hated that they were extorting a fee from me I almost got taken by them again when I went to downgrade my service to the lowest level. Their order form online starts the subscription the day you do the downgrade rather than starting it after my existing, already paid, subscription ends (which results in them stealing another month of fees from me). I hate them but as my title suggests; I put up with them because there is no other product that does what it does as well.

Randy

Quicken is Best Desktop based Home financial software

I have used Quicken for portfolio and asset management for over 20 years. The software has improved with new technology and returns excellent value.

Pros

Its able to link to and download complicated financial transactions, maintain their values, shares owned from most major institutions. It links to your accounts with most major bank and credit card companies. It also allows non-online assets ans liabilities to be tracked. Their reporting shows net worth statements, cash flow statement and other reports suitable to track a large and complex portfolio of assets.

Cons

Links to some institutions can be damaged due to changing security needs. Their support in improving those links is excellent.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

Quicken provides far better value than Excel, paper docs or Mint.

Ruben

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Another all-time favorite agonizes in the mobile era

Quicken needs to move faster to mobile and cloud if it really wants to survive. 100% integration with QuickBooks, additional security features, support for more cloud backup providers are features that should be already available but are no show. Intuit own's Mint App is an example of how Quicken should be but, for some reason, they have decided to continue working on the same outdated software instead of relaunching. Still, Quicken is a big respected brand in the financial software world that continues to be one of my favorites.

Pros

- A longtime runner with a big user fan base - The very familiar interface allows old users to upgrade without a steep learning curve - Very similar Mac and Windows version allows painless platform switch - Supports most banks and account syncing in The US - Does not require a monthly or annual fee

Cons

- The interface is beginning to look a bit outdated compared to new mobile apps available for iOS and Android - No equivalent mobile version available - Cloud syncing and backup is limited and not easy to setup (dropbox required) - Version to version upgrades sometimes include little to no enough new features for the price (That's why some users are still using 5-8 years old versions)

Quicken