Sage 50cloud Reviews

3.75 / 5 (231) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 3 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "I love how easy and user friendly it is. Everything is clear. "

• "The program is easy to use and easy to catch on. It's very easy to learn and teach others how to navigate the program."

• "Very easy to use. I maintain the books for 3 companies through it and navigate it easily."

• Cons

• "It can be a little constricting in terms of functionality, not great when higher complexity is needed."

• "Even though it is flexible I wish some features such as the PO function can be tweaked to be able to use it to its full potential, other than that a great piece of software."

• "Sage 50 allows for minimal customization from their out of the box set up software. This plays as an advantage, but does not allow you to get the information you want in the view you want."

Browse Sage 50cloud Reviews

Chad from SLC

A must have for growing businesses

Pros

Sage50 is a widely used product for a good reason. Sage is very user friendly and combines many of the necessary items for businesses. This includes payroll, inventory tracking, invoicing, etc. One of the best this about Sage is that it can grow with your business and personalized to a certain point.

Cons

There are some shortfalls for new users and users with little accounting/bookkeeping knowledge as there can be a learning curve if you are not familiar with accounting software.

martinho from Critério Assertivo, Lda

Industry: Executive Office

I have been using the sage billing system for several years. I recommend

It is software that has been with me daily for several years, I'm already in tune with the program, the experience is fantastic

Pros

Very intuitive, easy to perform everyday tasks , Has very important sales charts, In the main frame we have all the necessary information, we don't need to go around opening several menus.

Cons

In my case, I cannot reconcile with my accountant , It is not easy to layout invoices is not a very easy process

Reasons for Choosing Sage 50cloud

For the price, and the test I did was very easy, the menus are easy to learn. excellent software

John from John Tracey CPA

Good...But A Little Expensive

I use the Canadian version of the software. I suspect it's basically the same as the American version, except for sales tax and payroll, but I would check a review of that version for any American users.

Pros

Sage 50 is an easy-to-use piece of accounting software aimed at SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises), and it is one of QuickBooks' major competitors. It's fairly easy to find people who are familiar with Sage 50. That's a plus for small businesses looking to find an employee or outside service provider to take care of their books. If you are looking to do the books yourself, Sage 50 is relatively easy to learn. They have thorough tutorials available to walk you through the basics. Major transactions are grouped together under tabs on the left-hand navigation panel. The various workflows--receivables, payables, inventory and services, employees and payroll, and a 'company' category--are all shown graphically. Each task within a major area is represented as a labeled icon, making it is to start a new transaction from this screen. The 'company' link is a catch-all category, including general journal entries, the chart of accounts and tools for managing your data and accounting tasks. Virtually every report that a small business could need is available in Sage 50.

Cons

I found Sage 50 to be glitchy in the past. I have spent too many hours on hold or on a call with their tech support. I use the payroll-included version of Sage 50. I also have a support package. In all, that's not competitively priced. If it weren't for the fact that some clients have been using this software for years and are reimbursing me for the cost of the software, I would not be using it. QuickBooks is a better value.

NIcki from Shamokin Dam Fire Co

Industry: Restaurants

More bang for your,buck!

The use of Sage over Quickbooks is a total 360. It's so easy to navigate and find the transactions and reports you need to use.

Pros

I use this software at my actual job. I like the ease of use so much that I am switching to using it at my second job.

Cons

Tax code formulas, if something is missing I have no idea how to correct it.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 50cloud

I very much like using Sage.

Victoria from Exodus Pest Control

Solid but somewhat limited software

not interested in continuing to use this software. Not interested in recommending it to others. I have now switched over to different software.

Pros

Sage50 seems to be created more so for accountants or those with in-depth knowledge of accounting. I have a degree in accounting so I found it extremely easy to use. Most functions are easily located and you can choose a number of them from one screen. The software has very good reports which is an important factor to management. Sage is very similar to another popular accounting software program used by small and medium businesses, so it should be fairly easy for employers to locate employees who have used Sage.

Cons

Tends to be glitchy. If you have an issue, it could be very time costly to get the issue resolved. Customer support and the time frame in which it is provided needs improvement. Another negative aspect is the cost as compared to its biggest competitor. Sage is more expensive.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 50cloud

The trial appeared to be a good fit for our company

Chris from DHP

Does The Job But Expensive

Overall, not too impressed. Yes it does the job, but it’s expensive and Sage keep increasing their prices year on year trying to justify uplifts on pretty useless product additions. Also the lack of ANY customer support, unless you pay for it, is pretty poor when spending so much every month.

Pros

As it’s a leading accounting software clearly it does the job and has everything you need. The range of functions is vast.

Cons

The software is quite difficult to use, training online is confusing, and a newbie would struggle in places.

Terry from Terry Regnier Interiors, Inc

Horribly Expensive / Lousy Customer Support

They downloaded the cloud version a few years ago. The first thing it did you erase everything, and I lost everything. Thankfully I had a flash drive backup, but it would only work if I purchased the EXPENSIVE version, which locked me into the EXPENSIVE version from then on.

Pros

I have used Sage for at least 20 years, going through I don't know how many name changes. Back when it was on a CD I didn't have a problem at all. At one time I had 2 stores and 8 employees. Now I am semi retired and work alone. It has served me well.

Cons

Some where along the way THEY decided to upgrade me to a higher level version on the Cloud. I don't want the Cloud. But since they upgraded me to a very costly version, there is no way they can downgrade to a simple version. All I want is the simple Traditional version. In January I had to reinstall the software, which I did. My invoice says this subscription expires 04/04/2021. But they are now billing me $732.95 due 04/06/2020, saying the other invoice is not correct. Their customer support if Horrible, IF they actually ever call you back. And thy aren't there on weekends.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 50cloud

I chose it in the 90's when it was called One Write Plus. It was Good, Reasonably Prices, and had good support.

Adam from Taopix LTD

Ex user of Sage

Pros

The functionality available is very good, and the reporting capabilities are very good if you know how to use them.

Cons

The reporting side of Sage 50 requires a lot of knowledge which is not easily transferable. Also does not work on a Mac.

Perry from Panda Technology Group, Inc.

Cloud is not great

Pros

The software does what I need it to do, it keeps my customer data organized, it is easily accessible, the reports are pretty good, and it is small enough for my business. It is not a large package that is overwhelming to my staff, or too many options and choices, it is small and simple which is what we need.

Cons

The cloud is the issue, it is slower sometimes, and Sage can't fix this. The subscription model is also much more expensive over years and years of paying them for it. The support Sage provides is also minimal and they are not well trained and usually it takes two or three calls and an escalation to every get something fixed or resolved.

May 2016

Anne from Seacoast Supply

May 2016

Great product for accounting and distribution

Pros

The product is very flexible. It is easy to change or correct information in the system

Cons

I wish that the software had a stronger sales package

Heidi from Coast Fabrication

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Easy to use, nice reports; troubleshooting and updates can be a pain

I used this software for really basic accounting functions and used a separate CRM and ERP software that I just journaled information from into Sage. It was great for that and for the everyday AP, payroll and GL. Overall I really liked it and it gave me few problems. The issue was that when there was a problem, it was really time-consuming to fix and I often had to bring in outside tech support when Sage couldn't solve the problem, so it cost a lot of extra time and money a few times a year.

Pros

I loved this program in that it seemed to be made for accountants, unlike some software that seems to be made for non-accountants. There are a lot of great reports to choose from, and each can be easily formatted to whatever file type you need. The payroll is awesome and easy to use.

Cons

Updates can sometimes cost you functionality, which can be a real problem if you are in the middle of payroll. Payroll information is only available for the current and previous calendar years, which is tough when you are undergoing an audit or due diligence. Some reports have limited time range parameters, so if you have a fiscal year that doesn't fit into those parameters, it can be annoying to run more than one report and combine the information. Also, there was one formula in the tax functions that didn't provide the correct number for some states, you had to enter it manually, which made us provide incorrect information and pay penalties because of it. I tried to do a data transfer from one company in sage to another, and several files were corrupted and didn't make it over. At one point, I needed to have two companies open at once, and the windows did not title which company was which. I literally had to go into the the menu drop down to figure out which company was which. They looked identical, so it was a real pain.

Brandon from Automation Ideas, Inc.

Industry: Package/Freight Delivery

Sage 50 Review

Sage has always been helpful through online or phone calls whenever you need them. Find the right consultant for you, and you experience improves.

Pros

There is alot of things that are already set up for you to just hit the ground running and a lot of items integrated into the system to help small businesses that need a solution but no time to customize a whole system.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 50cloud

Seemed like more flexibility for our company to grow with instead of needing to upgrade at certain numbers of users, employees, or items.

Amish from Aurora Civic Center Authority

Sage 50 Accounting

Sage 50 Accounting is ideal for the small business that is looking for a comprehensive, customizable core accounting solution that includes: A/P, A/R , well developedBilling, Invoicing, Inventory Management and Financial reporting. Sage 50 Accounting integration with Microsoft Excel, Outlook and PDF are some of its other features. Sage 50 Acwell-developed program that is great for the small business to keep their books organized. Sage 50 Accounting recognizes that small businesses may not need some of the more advanced features that some of its higher versions have. This is why Sage 50 features are pretty basic, providing support for tasks such as project management, costing, invoicing, reporting among others.

Pros

Easy to Use. Ease of implementation. The flexibility of financial reporting. A functional software for small uncomplicated businesses. Integration with core Microsoft applications like Excel makes a good product for analytics export into a spreadsheet.

Cons

It is very basic. And also does not have many capabilities. Finding Transactions can be a bit Tricky. Check printing has its own set of problem. Need to have a fair level of accounting knowledge to use it correctly.

June 2015

Randy from Flomax Compression

June 2015

Sage 50 'Quantum' Canadian is very stable but limited. No significant new features for last 4 years.

Pros: - Sage 50 Canadian is very stable, any 'crash' is almost always a hardware or operating system issue. - Vendor technical support is prompt and helpful. - Uses a solid 'Enterprise-grade' back end database. - ODBC is free, and included. - Free SDK is available. Cons: - Response to bugs is to provide work-arounds - No significant new features since 2011. - Screen designs are stuck on 1988. Data entry fonts are unusably tiny on modern monitors, and can't be adjusted. - Features and prior bundled software has been removed, no longer supported, or flat out disabled: . web store integration, . Crystal Reports, . ACT! CRM integration . Simply HR Manager - Numerous limitations in the 'Quantum' version to prevent use by all but the smallest companies: . no transaction reports show purchase order numbers, . ship-to addresses are limited to 99, . multiple vendor shipping addresses are not supported at all . if using multiple 'locations', inventory reports are wrong due to wrong beginning onhand. . Multiple shipments to / from a single invoice are not supported. . No way to report on Purchase Order vs invoice purchase amounts or pricing. . No reports - Designed for Accountants, not for business operations. . 'Job Tracking' will record what you put in, but not tell you what to bill out. . Year end process is unnecessarily convoluted and cumbersome for the business. . Inventory 'available' isn't displayed during invoicing, only 'On Hand'. . Only 2 years of sales statistics are tracked - current and prior year. Since current is always opened before the prior year is completed, there is never any point in time where a comparative report is of any use. . Canned reports are inadequate and can't be customized. - Time Tracking to Invoicing only works if you never have separate jobs for a single client - and who wouldn't? - Inventory statistics are broken - Quantities are correct, but adjustments rack up the statistics on number of transactions (one sale, adjusted two times will show as 5 transactions) - Virtually all inventory, sales, and purchase detail reports show all adjusted and reversed transactions, but don't output any indicator that they are just dead, junk data. - Few third party software integrations - Other Sage software does not work with it AT ALL. (Asset tracking, Time & Billing, CRM)

Jason from Public practice accounting firm

Used to be the standard for small business in Canada, but no longer.

I have recently discovered Xero and moved my accounting practice to this software. It is so simple with the convenience of being cloud-based. I now recommend Xero to my clients and given its simplicity (yet still very powerful) I can foresee clients taking charge of their own bookkeeping and getting rid of their existing bookkeepers.

Pros

Sage 50 was the accounting program I used to recommend to all my small business clients. Stable program that has most of the simple functions needed for most small businesses. Most used small business accounting software among my clients and almost all bookkeepers in our area use and have experience working solely with Sage 50.

Cons

It's not the most user-friendly program and has a reputation of being difficult for non-bookkeepers and bookkeepers alike to use properly. Sage has been slow to make it more user-friendly and were behind in moving to cloud options. Personal experience is Sage support is very slow to respond to queries.

Sarah from NDL Accounting Services

It gets the job done!

The software is pretty self explanatory meaning I don't believe new users would require additional training in order to use the product. I think if they would develop a better adjustment scenario (ie. Journal Entry adjustments) I think this product would rate up there with QuickBooks. This product is definitely worth the look!

Pros

The customer service at Sage is extremely helpful! I have had to call multiple times, and each and every time they patiently help me through my problem. I think it's great if you have a small to medium sized manufacturing business and want something to keep track of everything.

Cons

Comparing the software to QuickBooks, I think there is a lack of efficiency in entering Journal Entries especially when you happen to find a problem that originated in a prior year. Other than that, I think the software is great for recording daily transactions and keeping track of inventory (for small to medium businesses).

Kenatu from TPDCo

My Best Friend

For all of us who stuck with Peach Tree from back in the day, our time has come. I simply love this application. Its my best friend. As a small business owner I can tell you the ability to have my accounts at my fingertips while I am on the go blows my mind. I am tickled pink. I have to pinch myself. I am able to see my inventory, check prices and stock and give clients discounts and assurances that I can reliably trust in real time. The subscription cost is almost nominal for the value it gives me.

Pros

Access to my Accounts in real time on my mobile device. Easy to use and covers all that I need for a small business owner who is the the head cook and bottle washer. I can process payments and check on outstanding receivables while on the go. check stock and see sales. the reports are exactly what I need to know to make informed decisions I can communicate with my customers and suppliers with built in correspondent templates. based on the information at my finger tips I can have a better relationship with my supply chain and customers. requires very little setup.

Cons

I am sure that I will think of one in the future but for now I am at a loss. the speed could be better when searching a large record set, buts thats on me and my resources.

October 2013

jscottu

October 2013

Sage Peachtree is better...not easier

I have used both for several years. There is no question that Sage/Peachtree is not as "user-friendly" as Quickbooks...at least for the first month or two. But as you begin to actually understand accounting and your bookkeeping goes on and on you discover some very frightening things about Quickbooks. They put everything onto one, big, gigantic database-unlike almost every other accounting system in the world. That has several disadvantages but the biggest is why quickbooks has a nickname..."slowbooks". If you complain loudly enough they will recommend you "start over" after a year or two by opening a new company for the new year. Their constant ads are something you can live with. But what if you've had quickbooks for 4 or 5 years and you want to put it on another computer because your older computer blew up? Sorry. You'll have to get the latest version. At least with peachtree that is not an issue (if you saved all 3 of the registration numbers needed). My biggest complaint about quickbooks, though, is that it lets you do anything you want. That sounds good for somethings. It's not good for accounting. Peachtree makes it harder to go off track (although you can certainly mess up your peachtree books as well). Another thing I like about peachtree (for me) is that the fonts are bigger and they don't try to put everything on one page. Quickbooks has tiny font but you can certainly see lots of stuff on every page. I really dislike quickbooks reports which also have tiny fonts but that is personal preference.

Pros

Usually lower in price. It doesn't try to hide the "debits and credits" as much as quickbooks does. In the long run that is a good thing. You will learn real accounting much quicker with peachtree than quickbooks (and you should learn it anyway).

Cons

Peachtree is not as popular as quickbooks so there are not as many "3rd party add ons" available. If there is some particular 3rd party add on you need to use and only quickbooks has it then the decision is made for you.

MJ from dlrepair

Decent accounting software for small business

It is good software

Pros

It is easy to teach a new user how to begin entering transactions. You can set up an assistant to begin entering basic transactions almost immediately. When searching a list (purchases, payments, etc.) of transactions, it is not necessary to have entire name or number. The software will locate the search criteria even if it is just a couple of characters in the middle of a string of text.

Cons

Chart of accounts does not have a true hierarchy so you cannot get totals to roll up for sub accounts. It is often tricky to customize a report accurately. Some reports will omit data because it comes from a specific "journal" and there is no way to make the report include all relevant "journals".

Emily from Beacon Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

September 2016

Great product that serves basic accounting functions

Pros

This product is a great product for small to medium sized businesses. It allowed us to track over 20 different departments based on the way we structured our chart of accounts. Within those 20 different departments, we were also able to track 7 different expense categories (not accounts, groups of accounts). Reports look nice and are somewhat easy to build. Entering AP invoices does not require you know your debits or credits. Same goes for AR invoicing. Journal entries are simple enough to put in and the general ledger reporting is very clean.

Cons

We were limited based on the number of items we wanted to track. In addition to account number, department, and expense category, we were hoping to track school projects, use tax, physicals expenses, location. This forced us to do a lot more reporting in excel than we would have preferred.

James from QTRCO, INC

Major limitations for everything but the most simple operations

Want to do accounting? Sage 50 will do it almost as well as Quickbooks for a higher cost and with less support. It's also a lot harder to find an accountant that works with Sage and actually knows what they're doing. Want to buy and resell products? Sure, it'll mostly work. Want to use it for manufacturing/assembly? Forget it, Sage 50 can't do it properly and will cost you an incalculable amount in lost time and opportunity. No lot tracking, horrible reporting, no forecasting, only 5 user defined fields (none of which are very useful), no BOM variances, no part revisions allowed, no mass BOM update, etc.

Pros

Better than chiseling on a stone tablet, though less reliable.

Cons

Oh so many things: Database is SLOW No user workflows, cannot require approvals, checks, releases, etc. No ability to limit access to fields, or to require approvals on data entry Fields are not updatable in table views and require opening a screen for each item to update. Finding information in Sage is difficult, must search through multiple screens, reports, or excel spreadsheets to find date Order data exists in many separate views (SO, PO, WO, Invoice) without a single summary view of status. Sage50 items do not link – a line on a PO, SO, Quote, etc cannot be clicked to bring up the item card. The ID must be memorized and typed into another window, wasting valuable time Data import/export from/to Sage50 is time consuming and error prone Document templates are stored locally and must be manually updated per machine on change. One time use items or BOMs have to be added to part master to never be removed which clutters system, or have to be entered as a description items which severely limits usability. Cannot open multiple records when reviewing order history (or item cards, POs, Invoices, etc). Can only have one window for each type open at a time. No system discount levels Difficult to determine lead times for an assembly, have to start a pseudo work ticket and still can only determine current part availability that doesn't show when on order parts will arrive Sage can assign a user to a quote, but has no notifications to tell that user when the quote gets converted, updated, etc No material traceability, or lot tracking Routings do not exist – cannot track inventory moves from receipt to, inventory, picking, assembly, QA, etc Sage50 cannot record who received, assembled, tested, shipped, etc Cannot attach records or files to built items (final inspection reports, pictures, etc) Purchase planning is almost non-existent. Parts cannot undergo true revision. Changing the item ID results in changing entire system history Rev changes require creation of new ID and BOM update BOM changes are labor intensive BOM changes must occur individually and manually each time a part undergoes revision Variances are not allowed Cannot swap parts or revisions for a variance BOM, a complete new BOM must be created and all traveler paperwork reprinted When moving to a new revision, the old revision must remain in the BOM until consumed which results in Sage reporting the need to purchase the old revision instead of the new revision. Revision changeover must be manually watched and switched at point of consumption Sage has a field for “Preferred Vendor ID”, but no additional approved suppliers Single currency only Sage50 has updates that come out every year, but they only support the previous years version for another 6 months so you're forced into an upgrade if want any semblance of support (though it doesn't really count as support most of the time).

Rachel from Aviation Services Group, LLC

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Good software if you know what you are doing

Once I became familiar with this software and how to work my way around it, it has remained an integral part of our business accounting. The longer we use it, the more valuable it becomes. The sheer magnitude of accounting and business tracking capabilities is incredible.

Pros

Sage is regularly updating and improving their software. There are many ways that you can make mistakes, but if you know what you are doing it is generally easy to fix said mistakes. The reports are a life saver when it comes time to do taxes or if I simply need to review something on an account.

Cons

You will want at least a very basic accounting knowledge before trying to use this software if you are starting from scratch.

Alicia from Services Acquisition Co. LLC dba Tank Services

Works best if you are utilizing all the job features

Sage has helped us to improve our job costing. The reports can be exported into Excel for further analytics and review.

Pros

Features work well among eachother. Create PO, Apply to invoice, Inventory, Pay bill. Create your job quote, assign job, bill job, view job costing. I have found we are happier with the program the more we utilize it to its full potential.

Cons

Using only certain features is difficult, as the steps in between may be missing to view full reports. It's also pretty ugly and kind of clunky, but it works and does the job. Additionally, it can be difficult to find support online because this is not a popular product.

JENNIFER from SONIC

Industry: Wholesale

Basic accounting program with limited customization options

Cheaper than other larger programs, easy to use and manage.

Pros

The dashboard feature makes using the software and locating specific functions relatively easy. Invoicing, accounts receivables and accounts payables is straightforward. Program is cheaper than other larger accounting programs.

Cons

Inventory management features are very limited, pricing options are limited. Designed really for small, basic use . Limited customization abilities. You now have to upgrade and pay for upgrade every year because it is on cloud. Customer service is horrible, very rarely can solve any problems and wait times are very long.

Tonette from PETERSON TAX & BOOKKEEPING SERVICES

Peachtree makes it easy for you!

Love this product. My favorite.

Pros

Being able to change items past and easy function for doing so. Very easy to setup g/l. I like being able to modify reports at ease. Would highly recommend this product. Bank reconciliation is also a breeze.

Cons

Very little would I change maybe making the product cheaper. When you enter timesheets and have a change after you have updated - you cannot just delete the line from weekly timesheets you have to go to the list and select line and delete. Doing it on the weekly timesheet entry leaves zeros if you just delete the line.

Heather from Gra-Mac Distributing Co.

Sage 50 is a functional bookkeeping software for small businesses.

Excellent inventory tracking.

Pros

This software is great for small businesses like ours who have a huge inventory list (8,000 plus items), and customer support gives quality service.

Cons

This software makes you close out each month before the system date will change to the current month. This takes some time to do that monthly (and seems unnecessary to me) but time spent can be kept in check if you keep your records up to date and balance daily/weekly. Payroll is less user friendly than Quickbooks and updates are harder to apply.

John from Father Gabriel Richard High School

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

User Friendly Accounting Software.

All in all, a much better product than I have used at other companies. Would recommend Sage 50 to friends and family.

Pros

Very user friendly and dependable. Was able to transfer 3 entities using an updated chart of accounts. Have saved hours every month with the assistance of their bank reconciliation set up. Month end closing has been accelerated.

Cons

Report function seems weak. Not able to create the desired reports with ease. Have not used customer support but a few times and have found quite a long wait.

Kitty from Alegria Community Living

Sage 50

I have been using this software for almost 20 years when it was called Peachtree. It is an ideal software for small business, who need a little bit more than a simple profit and loss, but ability to track costs by departments or locations. There are a lot of improvement to the latest version, which allow much easy listing and printing from different ledgers write at the input window. I like the flexibility that Sage has provided for report customization; there is no report format that Sage 50 cannot produce. However, you will need some accounting background in order to fully utilities the product, that's the only recent that I hold back the rating.

Jason from Johnson's Construction Ltd.

Very easy to use and gets the job done

Great software for small to medium size businesses.

Pros

Very user friendly and easy to learn and navigate around. Does exactly what you would want done for a small to medium sized business. I used this software for many years in a small computer business and never had any issues with completing all our company transactions.

Cons

From an accounting point of view for reporting and controlling multiple company departments I feel it is a little too simplistic to handle larger corporations.

Alexandra from Spectrum Electric Inc

One of the BEST softwares I've worked with!

Pros

My time with Sage was short but sweet. When I first worked on it I had never used it before and was very unfamiliar with it. Once I used it for a couple of days and got some stuff explained, I was able to grasp it and fully efficient!

Cons

The only issue I ran into while the time I worked with it, was the updates and back-ups. Once I backed up the information and it erased EVERYTHING. Thank goodness I had a back up drive from months earlier. It was a big fallout for us!

Roanna from Roofman Ltd

Sage 50

Pros

Easy to Use, User Friendly A lot of additional modules which were beneficial to my companies business - Stock Inventory, Manufacturing module Auditors recommended, they love to work with this software and accounting reports A lot of practical and required accounting reports Options to purchase out right

Cons

A bit difficult to integrate with other softwares When purchased outright, connectivity at different branch locations was a bit difficult

Ken from IKRON

SAGE 50 = GREAT 50

I would still recommend this product to all small to medium size businesses for the price point that it is at.

Pros

SAGE 50 is pretty easy to use and does have some neat features for the small to medium size company.

Cons

One of the only cons that we have come across with SAGE 50 is the "Line Limitation" in making a custom financial statement. We want to make a really detailed statement for our board of trustees so that the non-financial people can understand the financial picture easier.

Christine from ddm marketing & commumications

Sage 50

We've used this software for over 20 years. We have not outgrown it even though our business has grown.

Pros

Very user friendly. If you're only looking for an accounting software this software fits the ticket. It does all financials tasks - accounts receivable, payables, general ledger, payroll, inventory etc.

Cons

It isn't useful if you're a service organization - you cannot track time, and expenses. All invoices are imported into this software from FileMaker.

Leah from Tahoe Vistana Inn

Good software for a professional.

Pros

Sage is a great software if you know what you're doing and are working with accounting clients on a regular basis. It allows you to have multiple clients that can be set-up differently, with different templates, finance charges, etc. Reports work well and the double-checking capabilities are thorough. Unlike QB, certain entries cannot be deleted, but must be backed out. This is preferred for accuracy and accountability, at least for me.

Cons

As it is good for professionals, I think the learning curve would be hard for a small business owner with no prior experience.

September 2016

Amanda from Ellis Farm Supplies Ltd.

Industry: Farming

User-friendly, functional, great support

Pros

We use the reporting features of the software quite frequently and find them very valuable. When wanting to upgrade our product and support plan to add functionality, the service and tech support were very helpful.

Cons

I wish the cloud functionalities of Sage Drive were more versatile, and you could have at least 2 users working on it at the same time, rather than having one user as read-only. The reports could be more customizable, we could really use a report that shows our inventory by location. Also, I wish there was more to the customer function, allowing for Business Day-to-Day, Financials and Customer Relationship Management all in the Sage Program.

Brandy from Sugar Bear Childcare

Industry: Individual & Family Services

A program for any size company

I am the manager of a small business. When I started we just used the program for payroll. Now we have moved to writing payment checks with it, receiving payments, managing monthly and yearly budgets, etc. BUT what really strikes me as phenomenal about the program is how I went from knowing nothing about accounting programs to actually being able to efficiently use one for daily work tasks. It's been a great asset to our company and it didn't break the bank!

Pros

Versatility

Cons

Hard to navigate as a beginner

Andrea from Alex Horner Plastering

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Sage 50. Quite complicated

Apparently to complicated compair to xero. Will be using both for a while will let you know which is the better one.

Pros

Using it for over 10 years now but changing over to xero now which will save me a lot of time. . Now it’s easy to change journal entries when a mistake happens. I like the listing of both customers and suppliers.

Cons

With every sage update they change things around ie buttons are now at the top left side instead of at the bottom

Jeremy from HyTrust

Good SMB accounting software

Great basic accounting software

Pros

Sage 50 is great for startups and SMBs looking to upgrade from quickbooks or freshbooks. The reporting functionality is a little obtuse, but it's much more powerful than what's available through other low cost solutions.

Cons

The software feels outdated and has a couple of small, annoying bugs. For example, if you connect to Sage via wifi and then ethernet, sometimes it will count that as two users logging in.

Shelagh from Lake Country Arts

Industry: Philanthropy

Have used it since 1996 and its the best accounting software ever!

Its just easy to use. The screens are great. The 'note' under journal entries ( "this will decrease/increase the balance") means I don't have to be a CPA to get it right. I could not get reports "before depreciation" and "after depreciation" but I hardly ever need this. I can't rate their support because I have only needed help twice in 22 years. Once was a question about vendor balances and once was advice about backing up before I switched computers. Mind you, that was when it was Peachtree Accounting. I have looked at Sage's expanded products recently and their current support seems to be a bit fragmented.

Pros

It is super easy and intuitive to use. Even in 1996 they had this incredible feature where you could select an entry on a report, change it, and the report immediately regenerates with the change. The reports are just what I have needed.

Cons

There is one piece of functionality that QuickBooks has that Sage 50 does not. That is "sub-accounts" or "classes". In other words if you want to allocate part of your GL to a department or area in your organization, the only way to do it is using "jobs". Jobs are basically a reporting function based on a job id. I have rarely needed this anyway and refuse to switch because everything else is so great.

Ashley from kokomish

Easy to learn the basics

Overall the program is user friendly and I have been able to learn as I go for the most part

Pros

Fairly simple to enter information and complete daily tasks. Banking, invoices, sales and reports are easy to find and check for errors

Cons

I don't like how the program backs ups and overwrites, I wish that there was a simpler way to ensure if there is a critical error that you could trace it back more easily. Backing up and updating always makes me leery

Idowu from Southgate Consulting Limited

It is a good software for the small to medium size businesses whosr transactions involve straightforward accounting transactions particularly dealing with the General Ledger alone. Inventory transactiond dealing with stock issues is not properly documente

Pros

Very good software when it comes to dealing with general ledger type of transactions. The budgeting module is particularly good by displaying variances and allowing you to drill down the actual transactions from the same screen.

Cons

The developers should attempt to migrate this to an ERP to make it more functional. The shortcomings in inventory documentation will be easy to overcome.

Alexa from Benitez Metal Mfg Corp.

Very useful and very reliable software for your business

Pros

What I've liked the most of this software its is usefulness. For my experience, Iv'e done all accounting from accounts receivables, payables, Aged payables, checks, payroll, timecard ticketing, etc.

Cons

The least that Iv'e liked about this product is that it would crash our computer. Sometimes we would be multitasking on the program and it would crash and not save what we were working on.

Andrew from Battery Battery Timmins

Bitterly disappointing

I have had many accountants sing praises of this program and many know it. It may well serve an accountant well. However, from the business owner point view it does nothing well. I suspect more businesses own this software than accountants. As such the focus should be for the small businesses that use it. The company is mostly concerned with selling addons or training. I might be interested if the program did anything well. Really, anything at all.

Pros

Full service package. Inventory, POS, Accounting, and Payroll all in one package. That's it. Didn't like much.

Cons

Does everything poorly. Menus lack consistency. Searches often missing or don't work. Inventory look up sorts invoice numbers as text. Customer look up window is different than others and does not scroll correctly. Paid stamp on invoices prints black square in stead of paid. Customer look up looks up from the start of a name not parts of a name. Reports do not report what you want. Dash board shows three months trend which is of little use. Excel exports are of a form that requires a lot of work before even filters can be applied. Location cursor in a new window is never where you would want it. Default menu selections are never convent

Nathan from Messenger Freight Systems

Implementation is the key

Overall I think it is a decent package for a small company implementing their first accounting package.

Pros

The program offers much promise to a small business. Many college students have exposure to this package. The package offers decent reports

Cons

Limits on reports pegged to buying add-on components. Customer service was not very helpful...unless you pay considerably more money.

Muhammad Sajid from Army Welfare Trust

Peachtree software is the best accounting software, it can be used for all kinds of accounting records

In general it is good and easy software. For a private limited company it is best accounting software to keep business record.

Pros

Peachtree Accounting software is easy to use, user friendly, it has the many options to record business transaction.

Cons

Main con is that you can edit the record any time which is very risky because instead of changing the record a person should post adjusting entries.

Brandi from Trademark Building Supply, Inc.

The program is somewhat user friendly but there are improvements that could me made

The product has issues crashing at times or have problems loading.

Pros

The program has some good inventory features and setting up was fairly easy. Getting the customers in they system was fairly simple.

Cons

Inventory and changing pricing can be frustrating. You have to take product out of inventory to change or update pricing. I wish they had a feature to where you could link a sales order to a purchase order without having to create an inventory item. I also did not like that once you put an item in stock or non-stock that you couldn't change the item.

Shevaunn from Eascan Automation Inc.

Extremely easy to use, unlike other accounting software I have used in the past.

I save time on training and exporting alone. I could hook this up to my bank and make my life that much easier, but that would just spoil me :p

Pros

I like Sage because it is very easy to use. I did not have to train on the software at all, I self taught myself. Also, being able to export to excel is a BONUS

Cons

If you want help from sage, you have to pay a ridiculous fee. HINT: almost everything is now free through google!

Angela from Loganville Auto Center

i have been using Sage for many years. I am comfortable using it for my businesses.

Pros

User friendly and easy to use. I like the most recent update, it is aesthetically appealing. I also find the payroll function very easy to use.

Cons

Seems to crash often. Also, we signed up for the Sage Drive and had 1 problem after the next. Since there are too many bugs at this time, we stopped using Drive. Too risky, considering we lost over a month worth of data.

Andrea from GM Classics

You get what you pay for

Other accounting software and Sage 100 and up are two plus times more expensive

Pros

It is capable to customize reports and handle a large inventory. Integrates with Sage processing to ease the process of marking invoices paid.

Cons

Sage 50 does not easily integrate with WooCommerce. Therefore, internet orders for website still need manually entered for inventory and accounting purposes.

Great product, but you have to know how to use it

I consult with small businesses and some of my clients use/used Sage 50. My Sage 50 clients work in services, merchandise (drop shipping), transportation, and manufacturing. Sage 50 is a great software, but from what I've seen it takes a while to learn.

Pros

I'm a CPA and small business consultant. I have worked with some clients that use/used Sage 50. Sage 50 has a lot of good accounting functionality and makes it possible to record transactions and review reports, which is what an accounting software should do.

Cons

My main complaint about Sage 50 is the lack of documentation/support. I've used and recommend QuickBooks frequently because QuickBooks has easy to access phone/chat/online support and there are tutorials all over the web. I wish Sage 50 had more support like QuickBooks.