• Pros

• " I love that it gives us private repositories for free. The pricing is pretty good for small to large companies. I definitely recommend it."

• "Has very nice features and is super easy to integrate with other apps and that makes life really easy."

• "I love the fact that even on the free tier you are allowed private repositories. The UI is awesome and easy to navigate."

• Cons

• "It is good for having the private repository. But it's web interface is not so good as compared to other like gitlab. UI is not much of interactive. "

• "There's not much to complain about it. I'd say that if you're going for an open source project bitbucket might not be the best place to go, as there are better choices for that."

• "It is a bit tricky to set up git ssh keys in bitbucket, but its a one time task so hassle is acceptable."

Browse Bitbucket Reviews

Carlos David from Brown Brothers Harriman

Bitbucket - The Enterprise alternative to GitHub

I have used Bitbucket in multiple scenarios. But mostly for Software Development with Scrum Board. Although I have used KANABN as well. I have experience both as project administrator and as regular user.

Pros

Bitbucket is private repository with lots of feature and multiple language support. In my daily use, I mostly commit Java applications using the scrum board. I have used the cloud version for almost three years. In my previous company and now at my current one. One of the best features is the code review following the git flow workflow. You can select the source and target branch for the pull request and you can select default approvers as well as define your own one.

Cons

The project administration, especially the setup of the permissions for a particular repository tends to be quite hard. And when you try to contact support, usually there is no help at all and you end up researching on forums to be able to find the answer you're looking for. In this kind of software, especially if a company like Attlassian is behind it, the support should be better.

Muhammad from Nasaq

The simplest source code control

Pros

A better integration with other Atlassian products as well as other products like Slack, the very useful pipeline feature that automates the building process, the simplest interface, private repositories even for free users.

Cons

To get the most and complete experience for this product is only if you have the Atlassian ecosystem, not so stable as GitHub, but this problem is not common, unable to archive repositories, the search needs a little bit improvement.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

The better integration with other Atlassian products.

Veljko from Zuehlke Engineering

Very easy to use, but lacking some needs for enterprise (non-crucial though)

We never had any showstopper issues with it, everything simply seems to be working on it's own. It provides enough integration points for CI/CD pipelines and maintenance has never been an issue. We've been using it for years on a mid-big project without issues (~2M lines of code, 4 years worth of active development, now with around ~50 people), and also on some other with client having huge project (~20M lines, ~7 years, ~150 people at the moment).

Pros

First thing to note is there's two versions of the software - self hosted and cloud hosted on bitbucket.com. Make sure you know what you're buying as those two vary sometimes significantly in features (e.g. lack of automerge branches in cloud hosted version, which might be a showstopper for you). However, they're constantly putting out updates, so make sure to check the latest version comparisons. In general, the cloud version is the 'skinny one'. Reviewing changes has always been a breeze and the major strong point of bitbucket - it's very easy to start comments, reply, assign tasks, require min number of approvals before merging, etc. The support for git-flow is seamless - the versioning is working always as expected, with auto-merge down to the correct branch detected correctly. We have setup a build engine to it so you can't merge a branch that's failing builds, which works great. The overview of code, branches, PRs is working great, the full-text search throughout entire codebase is amazingly fast (although, it's lacking some basic filters).

Cons

Some pull requests are limited to review only the 1000 files - this is unfortunate, because if you have very large projects and with some refactoring you're easily over that number, this doesn't give you ability to see that-very-specific project files you want to check upon. It's annoying as there doesn't seem to be any good reason for the limit. If you have large teams (e.g. imagine 160 people, split into 15 teams), you can't group people which would be useful to see ("PR's of my team" for example would be a nice feature to have). Also missing is what's seen nowadays in github - a recognition for the language that's shown.

Adrian from Shopify

Started as a great product, but I got disappointed

Brilliant from 7 years go until approx 3 years ago. Painful to use for the last 3 years and we are currently migrating everything to GitHub.

Pros

We started implementing version control using Mercurial about 7 years ago (in my own company). On the advice of a colleague at the time we used Mercurial as opposed to Git. Bitbucket worked perfectly with Mercurial when we needed it at the time and really helped our business. It was fast easy to use and understand and the online UI kept getting better and better.

Cons

In the last 3 years, pushing and pulling and doing any kind of actions became tediously slow. I copied some of the repos to GitHub and converted to Git to check it was not a problem with my repo, with my computer, or with the software I was using (SourceTree). In all cases the only difference was using a Mercurial versus Git repo on BitBucket. I got no response to my support query, and no response to a forum post as to the issue and when it would be fixed. I then made a decision for our entire company to move all of it's repos to GitHub and stop using BitBucket - we are doing this right now. Approx 1 year after the decision was made, BitBucket emailed all it's customers to say they would be discontinuing support for Mercurial as not enough of their customer base used it. However there was no suggestion of helping migrate all repos to Git, no support docs on how to do this and honestly this was too little too late for us. We had become so annoyed with BitBucket that we would have migrated regardless.

At the time, BitBucket offered a free option to companies < 5 users

Arnis from INDEED, SIA

Bitbucket vs Gitlab vs Github

They have been developing for the last years and now offers much more easy UI and functions as before.

Pros

Ease of use. Bitbucket offers free storage and both - https:// git:// connections by default. Sometimes I need HTTPS more thant secure git:// at that momemnt.

Cons

Previously there was 1GB size limit for free private repositories, but now it has been divided into "Large file" and common file sizes to be able to store mush more for free.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

This was the first unlimited private repos storage at that time.

Luis Daniel from YCS PR Corp.

A good free alternative to github

I've been using it now for 6 years and it's my main repo host for work. I can recall only two times where there was a downtime that affected me, but besides that, there's never been a problem with them.

Pros

I like how robust their website is on terms of pull requests and integrations with JIRA and other atlassian products. You can store private repo's and manage it. The pull Request feature is the strongest in my opinion, with reviews and linking to JIRA. So it automatically can close tickets once you merge/accept a pull request. If you link the commits with a JIRA issue it also updates with them. They recently simplified the UI and their own home made SourceTree Visual App has received some substantial upgrades over the years and it's one of the best tree-based git history apps out there. In all honesty, it's a simple git control hosting website you can use online or host by yourself. It's really good.

Cons

The UI used to change a lot but now they've settled. Sometimes, compared to github, processing big pull requests (loading the changes/previewing) can be a little slow. Sometimes the integrations with JIRA, can feel like a miss if you don't use it, because Github has a lot of those features that Github might miss.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

More robust enterprise tools and competitive pricing. Also private local hosting.

Matthew from Lodgable

Clean service that allows code management

Bitbucket has managed my code for years with no problems. I can add people to my team, limit their access, revert, etc. Everything always works great and my data is secure.

Pros

This is a great service that handles my teams code changes. We've been using it for years. I've never had a problem with it.

Cons

There are no cons that I've run into. Getting to know GIT is the biggest issue. Also learning what BitBucket even is can be a hurdle.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

Preferred the layout and team architecture worked better for us.

Alwin from Alight Solutions

Best private GIT repo

Used both on-prem and online with free accounts to store source code. It's integration with Bamboo makes life super easy.

Pros

Bitbucket is super easy to use if you are familiar with GIT. Perfect for developers who want to create private repositories. The UI is also super clean and it's integration with SourceTree is beautiful.

Cons

Management of user permissions are a bit complicated to find in the UI. Other than that, the software is perfect.

Sophie from Solstice Game Studios

Industry: Computer Games

Great for Git; Sunsetting Mercurial...

We were able to implement a necessary version control on our files which needed them most.

Pros

We use this service to maintain a mercurial repository of our in-development game files. Since we work remotely, this keeps everyone up-to-date with progress of the development and provides us with version control we desperately need.

Cons

Atlassian has recently announced they are dropping Mercurial repository support next year. This will force us to change our workflow and/or find another service to accommodate our current needs. Other than this issue, this service has been great, especially if you want it for a Git repository instead.

Ashish from Xeno Private Limited

Gets you Free Private Repositories

Pros

Bitbucket is similar to github but you get free private repositories and you won't have to spend money if you are just starting out with making projects and their deployment

Cons

It is very difficult to configure on a windows system without using the command line.

It provided us with free Private Repositories

Usman from Elo Touch

Great tool, automation docs could be better

Once you get the hang of Bitbucket, it is easy to use and a very good visualizing tool for what you are doing with your repositories.

Pros

Bitbucket has a good UI and is very good for most of the repository related tasks. It has JIRA integration, so if you put your JIRA ticket numbers in the commit message, Bitbucket will link the pull requests into JIRA. This makes it very easy to access commits and the associated JIRA tickets from bitbucket itself, and vice versa. It has good branch visualization tools. It lets you select branches from a drop down and compare them with other source barnches. The diff visualizer is pretty good too. It even has good graphical icons to show which branches have been merged/rebased where. You can use command line git to manage repos as well. With their REST APIs it is possible to create repositories from the command line, which is very useful in cases where you have to do the tedious task of creating hundreds of repositories very similar to one another.

Cons

I was unable to find documentation on their APIs to set group and permissions access restrictions from the command line. This was required because we needed to create 100s of repos and allow our users to access them. Because we could not find API documentation easily and were in a time crunch, we had to have developers spend several days manually granting permissions using the web-console. Bitbucket should have these APIs clearly visible and documented.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

Price per user and overall price.

No 1 Version Control service

I am using Bitbucket for various different projects for more than 4 years now and I am extremely happy with it. As mentioned above it has an Issue tracker built-in on top of the version control and that really makes my life easier. It even has numerous ways of notifying me when some activity happens in our repository so I like it even more.

Pros

It is easy to use and very intuitive. It has an issue tracker and ton of other features It is free for small teams

Cons

Although Bitbucket works together with Jira (that has an amazing set of features on its own), perhaps I would like to see the issue tracker little more advanced. Not enough freedom when choosing the status of an issue, and not a good dashboard for tracking, for example, a milestone, or a project stage in a timeline. Yet I believe these are features that better suit some other type of product like Jira (again).

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

Features and value over the price paid

Daniel from ABO

We love Bitbucket

We use bitbucket every day to backup our code, control version and publish the deploys on AWS & Google Cloud.

Pros

There is a lot of thing we love about Bitbucket. First one, the possibility to create any private repository you want. I know this a common feature today, but back in the time only Bitbucket allowed to create unlimited private repositories. Also the pipeline integration for deploys is a great thing and finally you can integrate it with a project managment software like Trello.

Cons

I would like to have a better UX, mostly because it feels a little bit old today. Almost everything works awesome, but they need to update the UX definitely.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

The integration with Trello and JIRA.

Best repository management platform out there

Overall, our teams love BitBucket and we use it daily. We host our code up there and this allows us to review, manage, and share our code directly to all teams. It's easy to do things like set permissions or integrate other tools like Jira which make the platform even more robust than it already is. Although a bit pricey as you scale with your engineers, it's generally a cost-effective platform given your business size that is unmatched in repository management software and allows us to build products with a sense of peace and security.

Pros

I think the biggest pro with using Bitbucket is that it integrates extremely well with JIRA. This allows you to track your tickets with the branches you're working on and to easily see its progress during each sprint. It's intuitive and straightforward to use. It's also quick and almost rarely did we have any technical issues. Whenever we did have some issue, it was just with some expiring licenses which was easy to resolve. Permissions are additionally easy to manage. Overall, it's just an amazing tool that is 100% essential for our software team as it manages our repositories and allows to share, review, and manage our code across all teams.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the scaling costs associated with it for the paid plans. Bitbucket charges per user. We have around 100 software engineers so it adds up a lot. Also, our engineers are quite experienced so working in Bitbucket hasn't been that much of a challenge. I've heard that engineers will lesser experience in repository management find Github to be easier to learn and implement but again, with greater experience comes a more expansive toolset.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

Bitbucket seemed more robust in functionality and had more of a business feel to it. It integrated extremely well with Jira which was something we were already planning on using for our task tracking. I heard great things from other companies and some of us had already used it at our previous jobs and could vouch for it positively.

Market leading product by Atlassian

Overall Bitbucket is a great platform for professional developers for personal and commercial use.

Pros

I have been using Bitbucket (personally and commercially) for couple of years and I'm really satisfied with the services and features that they offer. Letting free users create unlimited repos and allowing up to five users is a good way to go, which attracts more users. Pull requests helps to get code reviewed by experts and get them approve before it available for others and helps to maintain quality code leading to quality software. More useful features like Pipeline lets user to deploy/release more often.

Cons

As a market leader, pricing plans can be adjusted to attract more

More flexible

Ben from Deverus

Much better than github

I love Bitbucket. It has always provided a more intuitive and easy to use experience. I highly recommend it.

Pros

The web-based app is fantastic. It has a great UX, its easy to use, and it just looks nice. My favorite feature is the side-by-side comparison for diff comparisons. Whenever you have code with particularly long lines, the traditional word wrap comparison becomes virtually unusable. But Bitbucket has a really nice side-by-side comparison that allows you to scroll horizontally. It is indispensable. It also integrates with Jira really nicely. Whenever you name a branch after a Jira issue, you get a really handly link in Bitbucket that will display the Jira issue card in modal. Lastly, Bitbucket has better prices for private repos (especially for smaller teams).

Cons

Not a strong mobile presence (albeit, there are few cases where you really need to be able to interact with yoru code repos from a mobile device, but it does come up from time to time)

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

* It has better prices for companies our size. * Tasks that involve using the web-based app are much faster in bitbucket (i.e. code reviews, general branch management, merging pull requests, etc).

Thomas from Beamstyle Limited

Easy to use, great product!

Overall, it is great. Also very suitable for business use due to its reasonable pricing schema and the performance of the product itself.

Pros

Overall very good product. All features of GIT are nicely implemented, haven't had much issues with it. Also, the pricing is based on users, not based on repository count like Github. So the prices are very fair, especially when you have a lot of repositories (for web design agencies like us).

Cons

One thing I'm not too happy about is its inability to reopen a declined Pull Request. I do not see any reason it cannot do that. An issue was raised and discussed (Bitbucket Issue #4954), and was not resolved. Another thing I didn't like was that there was once Bitbucket was hacked, and one of our repositories (lucky it wasn't a very important one) was hacked and I had to speak with a Bitbucket rep to restore our data. Took a day or two on that.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

My consideration basically is price, speed, feature set, and community. So I recommend Bitbucket over other popular tools like Github.

Haja from GingerTea Tech

A Smooth and Savvy Git Repository -

Atlassian Bitbucket is a smooth, intuitive, low-profile and very capable git repository. It functions exactly how you would want it to and can be considered a solid alternative, or addition to GitHub. The user interface and functionality have been markedly improved from previous versions, which were slightly less forgiving for newer developers. It was always a good product, and now it is even better, with continuous improvement and wonderful new beta features being added regularly. I love this platform and I'm anticipating the opportunity to test out the new features and see where they will go in the future.

Pros

Atlassian Bitbucket has a clean, user friendly interface. You can store full code, team projects, as well as code snippets, and search your code. There is support for large files. Bitbucket has easily accessible links with tutorials and tricks to get started, even at the very basic beginner level. It is fully collaborative for development teams with variable needs. The best advantage of this platform over GitHub is it allows for private code repositories in the free model. You can control access to your code with public or private repos, and even fine tune access control with additional rules and extensions on the premium mode. There are tons of excellent integrations, including AWS, Microsoft Azure, Python, Visual Studio, Circle CI. and more. New beta features seem to be added regularly. The free model is great and the upgrades are reasonably priced. This is a well-rounded, excellently performing, continuously expanding code hosting platform that is well-suited to support your individual or team projects.

Cons

Previously, there was a slight learning curve in the processes, but this has been smoothed out. There are no real cons that I can think of, except that the open-source social celebrity aspects of GitHub are not a prominent feature here. However, if you are not looking for these aspects, you will likely be very happy with all of the features which are included to support your building endeavors.

Valerio from Wallace Solution

The best way to manage git repositories for businesses

It allowed us to organize the work of our development team, dividing each task into a different branch. Our development team was able to work with GIT in a more intuitive way. The breakthrough curve for new employees also drastically decreased allowing them to adapt to our workflow more efficiently.

Pros

One of the strengths of Bitbucket is its ease of use and its great integration with the Atlassian environment. In our company we integrated it with the JIRA incident handler and it worked very well. With Bitbucket you can configure the permissions of each team member, this is of great help so that only authorized people can modify the most important branches of the project. It is also very easy to adapt the software to the company workflow. By integrating it with JIRA, we can create a branch for each issue that must be handled by our development team. At the end of an incident you can create a "pull request" so that other team members can review the job. It is an essential software for us and we recommend it extensively.

Cons

Although it sounds hard to believe, our team has not found a single negative point for Bitbucket. So far it has proved to work according to our expectations. Perhaps we could say that for very large teams the costs rise very fast, so in some cases this can be considered as something negative.

Jander from tap 2

Industry: Computer Games

Complete solution for code versioning

With Bitbucket I have the security of keeping my project versioned and with that I can develop without fear. Sharing with team members makes the process simple and efficient.

Pros

With Bitbucket I can have many private projects and all Git features. I can create project teams by assigning different permissions to each one. The ability to view code in the web interface itself allows for quick checks. You can also check the differences of each commit. Integration with SourceTree is a breeze.

Cons

If you use the tool with the default flow, you will have no problems. However, in some situations it is a little difficult to correct. I already had problems that the tool claimed problems in login while all the information was correct.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

I need private projects and the possibility of testing without having to pay for it at the beginning.

Abhinav from OATI

Bitbucket - A code collaboration solution for IT professionals.

We are using the BitBucket from past many years, we have selected it over the robust integration with third part software like JIRA. Smart mirroring and IP white-listing are the most used features in case of cloud to improve the security. Bitbucket integration with build tool like Bamboo help us to achieve the continuous delivery of the project.

Pros

Bitbucket is a code collaboration solution for all IT professionals. The web based interface beautifully manage the GIT version control repository. The pull request & code review helps in review the code and providing the instant feedback. Code search feature is one of the best feature of Bitbucket, It helps in searching and jumping to the relevant code in it. Branch permissions help in managing the release. Diff view is the feature where a user can view the code side-by-side and view the difference with the latest or with the specific version. Merge check feature save our time as at the time of release we don't have to manually do the merges.

Cons

We are unable to add nest permission in repositories. Bitbucket is not just the version controller it is a code collaboration so it also needs some more improvement on management and tracking. Clustering the data center is really a complex part to be implemented if you want to host it on-premises.

Yaruby from CONSIS (Consultoria de Sistemas)

Web data repository that allows optimal management, planning and code collaboration.

Pros

1- Bitbucket is a web repository that provides optimal management and planning of the code of a project, while integrating versioning tools (Git), which provides greater integrity of the project information. Including Git in the web repository, it is possible for the developer to be more easily aware of the changes used in the different modules of the project, as well as to make better use of the time spent on the work performed. 2- In addition, Bitbucket offers the alternative of including collaborators in the code that is being worked on, giving the possibility of establishing permission on the same collaborators and on the different branches of the versioned project. 3- This tool also allows creating unlimited private repositories for free and it is also possible to create different development groups on these repositories depending on the characteristics of the project. 4-In addition, Bitbucket allows the development of code both from the web and from the IDE of the developer's preference. It is possible to import the project initially from the IDE and perform code updates from the web, all thanks to the inclusion of Git in the repository. In this sense Bitbucket grants great freedom of management of code development and remote collaboration of other developers.

Cons

1- Bitbucket is not intuitive, which can hinder the use of this tool when interacting with it at the beginning. 2- It does not have an official client for Linux, leaving it out of the support of the tool.

Gurleen from Tech Mahindra

Bitbucket - A web-based version control repository.

Bitbucket is a smarter way to write and deliver the code. Build Integration icon also shows the result for your complied code. Two step-verification is lengthy but surely make you safe from non authentic people for digging into your code. Merge check is a premium feature in cloud version but is really one of my favorite feature as it save my lot of time.

Pros

Atlassian Bitbucket is one of the most popular web based version control repository. Managing code and project are simple with the help of it. We also use Git repository for some projects. Pull requests for facilitate code review also help in improving the coding and help in knowledge sharing with in the team. Code search is also an excellent feature which save time and help us to reach the right code in short time. The Bitbucket pipelines cares for your code from coding to till release. Storing the large media file is also easy with help of Git LFS. Diff views improved in the latest version and we don't need any third party tools for review the side-by-side code changes. Third party tool integrations is also improving day by day.

Cons

Bitbucket self hosted is complex to deploy and need assistant from experts as bad practices in branching can end up with the a lot of troubles. Managing different collaboration is complex so I prefer working on same branch. The free version is good to practice the things but they should also remove some limitation from it.

Tigran from Information Technology and Services

Bitbucket review

Overall this is really good software for team development process and if you are not fun of Github you can use this for sure because it has a lot benefits with integration of other atlassian products such as Jira.

Pros

This is great subversion software by Atlassian.It has tons of apps you can use with Jira and it's first soft that provided free private repos. I can invite more people for colaboration than Github so it's best option for starting companies to use this for team. Unlike Github I could say that Bitbucket is also used by huge companies because it has Bitbucket server, you can install this to your server and use inside local network.

Cons

Truly telling I don't mind any Cons for now that really affects on development process only may it's not available mobile app yet.

Tim from Keyboarding Online

Best Git host around

We have been using BitBucket for several years daily. We host our own code there and pull code directly to our production servers with every release. We set up developers into teams and assign permissions with ease. It is a great way to ensure developers (and especially contractors) are focusing on what they need, and not poking around or getting lost in several dozen other repositories that don't concern their job.

Pros

I love the interface for Bitbucket. It is developed to be more business focused and oriented than a platform to host opensource projects. What I mean is that when you log in, you see your repositories and that is it. You can definitely search for other open source projects, but it doesn't have the same functionality GitHub has for searching. You can set up your teams and responsibilities very easily and watch your code as often as you need. There are webhooks to do anything, so you can have it be as responsive as you would like and build an entire deployment system with ease.

Cons

GitHub has more of a beginner feeling. It really walks you through everything you need to do. BitBucket is a little more advanced and gives you the bare minimum to get started. This is fine for most people that are experienced, but for beginners it may cause a few headaches early on.

Sean from Fresh Consulting

A solid code repository/versioning system with all the right features

I use Bitbucket on a daily basis to manage and interact with 50+ repositories within my teams for various projects.

Pros

I love how simple Bitbucket is to create a new repository, get code into it, and start working with a standardized git system. The code review tools make it easy to call out other users for comments, make inline recommendations, as well as keep a high level general discussion. Bitbucket can also integrate with Bamboo and Slack, which makes for a robust build and notification system for your CI/CD pipeline without needing to install Jenkins. You can also setup SSH keys and groups to ensure the appropriate team members get access to your code. On a final note, Bitbucket allows you to have private repositories under their free plan, which github does not. This can be valuable for startups getting off the ground.

Cons

Occasionally the Bitbucket service has some degraded performance and accessibility times without a clear explanation as to why. The Bitbucket team does a good job and communicating these issues to the public. The occurrence of these issues is sporadic, but not frequent enough to be a major hinderance to work.

Great Platform for Managing Your Git Repositories

Bitbucket has alway been our only solution for hosting our Git repositories, and we've never thought about switching. Bitbucket seems to care about making a great product.

Pros

We chose Bitbucket over Github, because, unlike Github at the time, it allowed for unlimited private Git repos, free for small teams. Since we chose Bitbucket, we haven't looked back. It's a very reliable tool for us to store our dozens of repositories and set up deployments for our websites. Using Pipelines, included with Bitbucket, we set it up so that all of our deployments to our servers are automatic. All we have to do is push the development branch from our local machines, and Bitbucket will deploy the changes to our development server. If we push those changes from Master, Bitbucket will deploy to Production.

Cons

There is a learning curve in using Bitbucket. For one, it won't make sense at all unless you have a fundamental understanding of Git. Also, it can be challenging to learn how to use a lot of its features. I remember struggling to understanding how permissions work and limiting access to repositories and branches for certain users. It was also a challenge to set up Pipelines for deployment. With all of these challenges, though, once you get over the learning curve, it all makes a lot of sense and works flawlessly.

Silviu from Felizi Tech S.R.L.

Bitbucket has been the first choice for me for a couple of years.

Bitbucket has always been trustworthy. The product is stable, with no major flaws. They have great documentation and customer support.

Pros

The free plan is great a small development studio or freelancers. It offers unlimited private repos with up to 5 users. The private plans are better than what Github has to offer, at least for small teams. Great Trello and Jira integration. It is still a privately owned company.

Cons

Bitbucket has less adaptation than the main competitor Gitbub, due to the open-source community. That sometimes is a downside when collaborating with external entities.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

When I started using Bitbucket, Github didn't offer any free private repositories.

Gonzalo from Freelance

Best for private repositories and team management

Pros

Bitbucket interface has evolved and became truly amazing through the years, now is easy to use, intuitive and beautiful. I love being able to search my code and the Downloads section where I can upload distribution ready executables for the team. Moreover, the snippets are nice to have as well. The integration with desktop is really straightforward with Sourcetree, some of my collaborators don't really like to CLI and they prefer the graphic way to manage their commits, Sourcetree just made it easy and smooth, the file version comparison is also really helpful if you want to see what have you or your team mates changed. I love that you can create Unlimited Private repositories, I use .git for every single of my projects and most of them I don't need or want to make public, BItbucket has been a life-saver on that. Last but not least their integration with Trello and Jira has helped a lot on bug tracking and the workflow in general.

Cons

I would like to be able to group my repositories on their web interface, I have over 100 repositories right now and the list is rather clumsy and difficult to manage. It could be awesome to have a few folder grouping the repositories by the client, project type or anything else to make it easier on the eyes. Atlassian has its very own way to organize their UI, so it might take you a few days to find out what's going on if you are not familiar with the product family.

Michael from Coupa Software

Another Valuable Atlassian Product

Overall bitbucket has solved a need and kept our files secure and accessible(most of the time) as needed. I run several scripts against repositories for several constant pull/push processes that have automated away a fair amount of manual tasking. Integration into Atlassian's suite makes each new set of tooling easy to adopt and operate with little new learning required.

Pros

The GitHub alternative that comes pre-baked into the Atlassian platform provides yet another reference worthy tool in the Atlassian Suite. If you're already using HipChat(slack) and JIRA, this just makes sense for your source control. Easy to integrate with a single sign on, BitBucket includes all the necessary features of GitHub incorporated into your existing Atlassian Suite.

Cons

This is a mission critical tool that has far too much downtime. We've gotten into the habit of backing up repositories locally due to the repositories being unavailable on several occasions. Permission changes can get cumbersome and often overlap incorrectly. There could be better use of groups in Atlassian, but instead it's an isolated permission system which makes for a new task per Atlassian Suite offering.

bennar from Capgemini

Bitbucket for code management

Bitbucket is the code management tool used in my company, in addition with Jira and Confluence, this software is a very powerful code management tool that keeps you and your team on track regarding your code.

Pros

The graphics of this software are great, and show you exactly what happened to the code and when The comparatives between the versions of the code, deleted lines, added lines, the different commits who/when were they made The list of code reviewers The easiness of creating pull requests The possibility to link a certain branch to its feature in Jira or to a doc page in Confluence The rules for restricting the push to a certain branch before it is verified by the reviewer(s) The merge rules How the conflicts are clearly shown in the code if there are any Eeasy to use with Jenkins for CI/CD

Cons

It is somehow complicated for someone who has never used git before You cannot get the full benefits of this software without using with JIRA and Confluence

Angelo from Influo Games

Version-control made simple

It is a very good service with a generous free account, usage and services. Ideal for individuals and small teams. Being part of Atlassian's portfolio you can smoothly integrate with their other softwares and services.

Pros

One of the best and most reliable version-control repository. No greedy business pushing you services or limiting your usage, giving you enough liberty to work on private repos even using a free account. I have worked on more than 20 projects and it never failed me. And being part of Atlassian's products portfolio we can easily integrate with other useful workflow tools.

Cons

You see, I mainly use Bitbucket integrated with SourceTree, although many developers abominating Git GUI softwares, but being a game developer sometimes it is a better way to visualize all that mountain of files, assets, images, etc. So, my negative feedback here is about this integration. Sometimes both services don't communicate well and I end up wasting valuable time trying to find the problem from my side, just to find later, that the problem was in their side. For example, authentication issues has happened more than once.

Adam from THE MARINERS MUSEUM

Industry: Defense & Space

Perfect Git Solution for Teams

We needed a cost-effective, self-hosted Git environment to house all our code projects, and since we already use JIRA, using Bitbucket was an easy choice.

Pros

I love how clean it looks and how well-organized you can make your projects and repositories. Nothing against GitHub, but Bitbucket is just a much more elegant tool for DevOps use. It's also easy to set up integrations with other Atlassian products and build tools like Jenkins. I also prefer Sourcetree, Bitbucket's companion Git GUI, over GitHub's desktop app. Every aspect of Bitbucket's Git environment has been thoughtfully simplified to give you an uncluttered view of your repositories and branches. GitHub might be more well-known, but Bitbucket is a friend to businesses.

Cons

I don't like that there's no visual branching commit graph on Bitbucket Server, which is what my company uses. There are plugins you can add to Server to show a graph, but it's not there out-of-the-box on the Server product. The Bitbucket Cloud product (free and paid tiers) has this. Why not the Server product? You can, however, see a graph in the companion Sourcetree app, which is where I prefer to see it anyway.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

GitHub only recently started offering free private repositories with their free user tier. Bitbucket has always offered this --free, unlimited private repositories. As such, many organizations prefer Bitbucket. We do.

Ramakrishna from Sharp

Simple and Good UI - Very good integration with other attlassain products like JIRA and Confluence.

It is a very good version controlling system to maintain our code with proper reviews and comments, after reviewing the code we can reject and again we can approve without any difficulties.

Pros

1) It is having a very good version controlling system and with this we can commit the code and review and also check for the history. Inline discussions of code which allows for easy collaboration. This allows our senior developers to mentor newer developers and coach them in better ways to code. 2) It works perfectly as a remote repository, and it as a good UI and also I can have unlimited private repositories. 3. The ultimate thing is I can able to view Bitbucket information directly in JIRA has been a great help to me to do the things much faster.

Cons

Its hard to say anything negative about Bitbucket . There is a very little amount of a learning curve is required to the developers who doesn't have familiar with source control platforms. It is a little kind of difficult to setup you encryption keys in the beginning because there are so many things that you see in the UI.

Ranjith from Maroon

Free code repo for small sized projects

One of the best freemium private code repositories. Definitely recommend this for projects/teams having small code base size in MBs

Pros

- Free for small projects (Multiple projects and users) - Can use git or Mercurial repo - Easy to create users and repository. (But team/users and repos gets confusing) - No downtime from the time we used it. (We had a bad incident with gitlab being down for almost a day)

Cons

- The interface is not very friendly - Teams and Users can be easily confusing, and since configuration/repo creation is only done once in a while, need to start the research afresh

Marius from Little Boy Genius

If you are small team this is the place to keep your projects.

They deliver what's expected from them and more.

Pros

The interface is easy and intuitive, so on-boarding people who have experience in similar platforms is easy, their provided way to organise repositories by organisations and projects is fantastic. Also possibility to have a website under organisation namespace can be lifesaver, to host documentation, or simple website.

Cons

It's not popular among open source projects, so need account with github.

Vignesh from Cognizant

Complete control on your Code with Better than GITHUB

BitBucket acted as one of the best version control software in both financial and technical perspectives. And helped my team to organize the repository as per the client needs.

Pros

BitBucket is the excellent version control with enterprise features that are missing in Github in multiple places specifically on the safety and reliability. Easier to customize the repository settings to edit the user roles and permission set, that allows me to take the full control of my repository. And works better with JIRA, so I can easily identify the number of code changes done for the specific issue to fix it and also the SourceTree client tool for Mac Client that supports easier code management without any hassles.

Cons

The Pull Request system needs to updated to handle the MergeConflicts directly in the web portal instead of going back to the source code in the native client to modify the changes. And also the desktop companion SourceTree need to fixed in lots of places like file status and fetching the multiple request for the different branches.

Caroline from Sage

Ideal tool for the management of private repositories without limit

Handling repositories is much simpler than there is no number limit for it, it is advantageous that private repositories can be managed or imported from other platforms, as well as it is much simpler to store and work in the development of projects since It provides the necessary tools for this and it is easy to adapt to its interface, so the work with it is fluid and saves a lot of time and money.

Pros

A software that I like because it has an interface that is very easy to understand, dynamic and visually attractive, it has a control panel that is easy to use because it contains a very well structured design, which makes working with it ideal for carrying out coding in a collaborative way as well as organize and manage several repositories, being able not only to work with private repositories of their property but also import repositories of other tools or platforms like GitHub, the repositories have no limit so it depends on the user how many you want to use to cover your needs and the best thing about this service is that its prices are accessible, so it can be used by any type of company regardless of its size.

Cons

It still has features that could be implemented to further improve its operation, such as the fact that for some reason it stops working for a few minutes and in that time you can not enter codes or anything so it would be ideal to solve this small error.

Smooth and easy

Liked it, it could be better if more ease to use can be added.

Pros

This is simple to integrate, easy to manage code. Makes life easy for you when there is conflict while merging the code, Easy to create hotifx branch, as it already knows for hotfix what has to be done. Good graphical representation of life cycle of code branch.

Cons

Tutorials are less. Need more tutorial videos to explain each functionality. Login for the first time is little confusing, Could be better on login process and choosing the correct flow.

David from Artlytical Media

Bitbucket is slightly more private than Github

I use it for version control, organizing my projects, sharing my code, and tracking when changes are made.

Pros

I use Bitbucket for my own projects because of how it integrates with Jira and how it is more private than Github in the free version.

Cons

There aren't so many projects hosted on Bitbucket so I'm forced to use GitHub for collaborating on a lot of projects.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

Bitbucket offers free repository storage for free. Client projects shouldn't be public so I use Bitbucket for their code and GitHub for support and sharing.

The Perfect Code Repository

I am very pleased with this project and I find it super useful everyday. I love the placement of all the elements and also like the look and feel of it all. There really isn't much you can improve with this project since it has mostly everything you'll need to code and develop software in a team.

Pros

Bitbucket is one of those apps that you truly hope your company never stops using. It is an amazing product and provides great features for your team to keep your code in sync and organized. Its user management allows for strict permission based viewing along with other custom permissions such as read-only, write, and administration permissions. Overall a wonderful product and definitely one that will be welcomed with any team.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints about this software except for one. I really wish that you could fix code merge conflicts from the browser itself. I understand the risks and limitations of this but given that I am a seasoned developer, I would be quite comfortable making those changes straight from the UI.

devaun from Blackdog consulting LLc

Pull request process makes git so easy!

POWER over your sourcecode! See all, from any branch, any commit, any code review. Linkage to Jira.

Pros

PULL Request! As a software professional, I use git as the source code management. The thing about bitbucket is the seamless integration of "gitflow" or similar processes with Jira. Say I pull a bug from Jira. I create a branch, develop the fix, commit. Now, here is the best part: Pull request. I create a pul request and invite my peers to review. My peers can make comments, approve or mark as needing more work. We can merge into branches, see the source code for any prior branch. This software is so powerful, it is the best SCMS support software out there! MERGING! So there is an amazing feature of bitbucket: Pull requests can be used for merges. Pick the source branch, say 18.01. Then, you need to merge to 18.02...just create a pul request. It will show you the differences, and be a excellent tool for the team to track merging.

Tamseel from Linknbit

Bitbucket comparative to other tools as a version control system

If you are looking for features like builtin CI/CD, free private repositories , integration with other tools like jira and trello you should go for bitbucket, But if you work mostly on free source ,public projects and want larger community support, have larger team github would be best choice and you could get features like CI/CD with other third party tools.

Pros

I have been using bitbucket for both my private projects and professional project, first its free for even your unlimited private repositories and that's a great thing, VCS like github which has the largest public repositories does not give you private repositories for free. If you are familiar with git then bitbucket has every easy UI. Second it has CI/CD builtin which is the major reason I have choose bitbucket over github for project which need CI/CD. One of great feature is its integration with other popular tools like jira, trello, slack etc.

Cons

One of the major downside of bitbucket is its community support, currently github has the largest number of public repostiories while bitbucket lags behind. Bitbucket does has plugin support but if we compare to github then github has larger plugin set. Github gives you lot of free source project which you can fork, bitbuck doesn't have that much public projects.

Gerson from CorpBID

Controller of high level versions, an option among the most used.

Excellent tool for version control and error handling, allowing the integration between various tools and collaboration with teams, a great alternative that is worth trying.

Pros

When one is a software developer, it is essential that a version control tool be used to maintain the integrity of our code and avoid the loss of work and progress in the face of errors that arise, and here Bitbucket enters, an interesting alternative to the most used tools, its main attraction is that it allows you to choose git or mercurial to control the versions, offers excellent funconalidades for error control, you can integrate with Google Analytics, and its main strength is that it allows you an unlimited number of private repositories which gives you total freedom to upload as many projects as you want, you and your team can work at ease and enjoy this excellent tool.

Cons

Although I mentioned previously accounts with an unlimited number of private repositories, the disadvantage is that when the free versions of Bitbucket limit only 5 collaborators in each project and users who need a larger number of these will have to switch to a subscription plan .

Rick from Excited Dragon LLC

Bitbucket might loose our business to GitLab...

Bitbucket has all kinds of standard stuff that you'd expect from a code repository service, and they got as big as they are because they offered free private repositories, unlike Github. However, they don't offer unlimited team members like GitLab does. So, not only did we integrate GitLab with our new product we're launching, but we might move exclusively to GitLab at some point. It's history repeating itself. If they want to keep people around, they'll need to make it have unlimited teams, and instead charge for other features, such as compute time on Pipelines. If they make it so you can run Pipelines on Mac and Windows as well as Linux, we'll certainly stay with Bitbucket, as no one does that yet. That'll give them a cutting edge advantage that a lot of people want. Right now we need to use Travis CI for Mac, and some other one for Windows when we do our app testing for those platforms.

Pros

Bitbucket has been a part of our operations since the beginning, and it comes with built-in CI/CD. When we push to the repo, Pipelines runs, and it calls the webhook to deploy it on our servers when it passes.

Cons

They limit the number of users account...

Ariel from Education

Cheaper than Github, almost as good

Bitbucket is as good as GitHub when it comes to working on a closed source project and may even be better if you use Trello.

Pros

Bitbucket has kind of been the underdog for a while, so to compare it with the elephant in the room, yes, Bitbucket is almost as good as GitHub. The interface is about as good, and there's Trello integration which is fantastic, because since we use Trello this integration is much more useful than GitHub's issue tracker. Atlassian has shown their commitment to Bitbucket by improving it over the years and I'm confident in being able to use Bitbucket for years to come, as well as motivated by the fact that it gets better all the time. Oh, and it supports security key 2-factor authentication.

Cons

It's lacking a lot of the fervor around open source development and collaboration, but this doesn't matter a lot when you're working on a closed source project. The issue tracking features are basically worthless if you aren't using Trello.

Sanchita from Amdocs

Bitbuket - The enterprise level GIT repositories

BitBucket is helping use in managing the code and deploying the system in a quick way. Configuration management is possible with third party software like JIRA. Power of the tool can be understand when you start working on it and making the things easy for you.

Pros

Bitbucket is enterprise level GIT services provider with provide the web repository for manage the code. It user interface is very simple and easy to understand. Version Control also make it simple and merging the code also become an easy task. Managing permission in web based environment is also remove the confusion when you same console in different environment. Code review and other operation can be also take it form web-based interface. Integrity of Bitbucket with other DevOps is also great and encourage for management for pick this up as version controlling.

Cons

There a some learning curves in it as a new feature come in their is no demo for it and add with just a small note and a documentation which make that feature completely out of the league. Setup is also little confusing as you have to set up the security and permission in the beginning of the setup.

A Necessary Tool For Development

I really like bitbucket. It appears though, that there are different versions and implementations of bitbucket. The version I had at my last company was great and heavily used. At my new company the interface was completely different and we don't use it as much for comments (unless its a comment on a persons code). I definitely liked the interfaces and heavy use that we had at my last company as opposed to this new interface and use.

Pros

This is an awesome tool. The thing I like most about it is the ease of use. It has a convenient area for show you your work as well as Pull Requests you're assigned to. It makes navigating and seeing what you want super easy and user friendly.

Cons

There isn't really anything I dislike about the software. I guess if I had to say one thing it would be the lack of integration with Jira. I'll make notes on bitbucket and can't see them on jira and vice versa. It would be nice if you could see all the comments on both interfaces instead of having to jump between jira and bitbucket.

Yaron from Unstatic Ltd.

Great and free code management tool

I've been using Bitbucket to store source code for many years, it works great and provides everything needed for this.

Pros

Bitbucket is a wonderful solution for storing your source code, everything just works and the service has always been free, even for private repositories.

Cons

When compared to Github, their user interface and overall work flow is not as good and could use improvement to make it simpler and clearer.

Reasons for Choosing Bitbucket

Bitbucket was always free for private repositories.

Trang from FPT Software

A Center place for code collaborate,review, test, and CICD pipeline

We install the Bitbucket server locally and build our own runner to run the CICD pipeline. We integrate Bitbucket closely with AWS and Jira, ticket story in Jira will have correspondence Bitbucket branch and apply Bitbucket pull request workflow for review and approve, our CICD pipeline will runt o check code quality and unit test in each commit, it will deploy new version to our test server when having new merge to our master branch

Pros

Bitbucket provides a complete source code repository, it is easy to creating code branch, tag, check history or revert. It has a good full request review workflow with assign to review, approve and show different which is very clear for understanding which has changed, ability to add and answer a comment, create new Jira defect for code review. Bitbucket has build-in CICD pipeline to build, test and deploy our source code.

Cons

We almost happy with Bitbucket's feature but it will be great if they could provide a better user interface, It is quite simple.