• Pros

• "Easy to use and mac build system. Docker integration"

• "I love that this software is fast, very reliable and integrates perfectly with all the tools modern software developers use."

• "Fast and resilient, especially when the release of version 2.0, we are able to benefit from docker layers caching..our build time improved by 70%."

• Cons

• "it Does not cache docker images. Docker is way outdated on the VM provided. Other than that i don't find any problem with it. I think it is best "

• "I think the only con is that it can get quite expensive fast, and when you need parallelism for tests then cost can get high quickly."

• "Some setup tasks involved in creating a build or modifying its configuration could be easier, but this was never a hindrance to me using the app."

Browse CircleCI Reviews

Michael from Spark New Zealand

Continuously improving over the years

Pros

Responsive support, much faster builds now I can easily parallelize things with Workflows 2.0. Very easily integrated with GitHub and other code-quality services. Able to build in macOS if necessary.

Cons

I would like the ability to specify resources available to a machine, fine to charge more for this feature. I would like to use Workflows 2.0 with macOS builds. It would also be great to be able to specify which docker images are cached on all executors, fine to charge more for this feature.

Tahmidul from Axle Education

Great once you're all set up

Pros

- Easy to understand yaml config format - Integration with GitHub - Workflows for powerful deployment and release strategies - Good community support

Cons

- I am not the biggest fan of the recent UI update. If the "expand" toggle is set to true, everything jumps resulting in me clicking things unintentionally. - Many of us have workflows that we do not use on every push (e.g. deploying to testing). With the next UI changes, the UI has a timer column which is always updating, why??? - Why can't I select a default project? When I now browse to circleci, I always have to select a project. Most developers only ever work on one project at a time, let us choose one!

Reasons for Choosing CircleCI

GitHub actions did not support click to approve workflows at the time. Although, now they do offer a viable solution, it may be something we look into.

Pricey, but a competitor in the continuous integration space.

Pros

The UI and integration is easy and very straight forward. Were able to get builds going in a couple hours.

Cons

When picking a CI to use for our business we tried a lot of the big names and CircleCi was great except for the price point for how fast the builds were. Alternatives like Strider gave CircleCi a bad taste.

Petr from upvest s.r.o.

Battle tested and well documented

Satisfied ;)

Pros

One of the market leaders. You can bet it is going to be here for at least next few years and your one off implementation and deployment of this service will do for long time without ay significant change and it will serve you reliably.

Cons

For some not_totaly_standartd deployments or integrations it is (as many similar products) a bit tricky. But thanks to the huge community you can find some solution for pretty much everything quite quickly.

Oystein from Hoopla

Good product for our ci needs

Pros

Easy to use and mac build system. Docker integration

Cons

User system. Only github and sometimes that is a struggle

Reasons for Switching to CircleCI

We didnt want to selfhost anymorr

Mark from Hobnob

Some quirks but overall it's a product we rely on and use every day

Pros

CircleCI is highly configurable for many different types of workflows. We rely on CircleCI for continuous deployment. Our tests automatically run and deploy code to the correct environment depending on the branch it's pushed to. It's also generally reliable these days. Reliability was an issue for us a few years ago but those issues are mostly gone now.

Cons

Since CircleCI is highly configurable it can also be difficult to build out a custom flow that works the way you need it to. We spent more time than we wanted to getting our automated deployment system set up.

Mehak from To The New

One of te best on cloud CI/CD for all kinds of application.

Used it with a number of applications, the GIT integration was very smooth. It is used for the deployment of the master on test and production environment by simple pull request creation and branch merge.

Pros

The great configurational freedom to the user makes it suitable for any and all kinds of applications. The step by step view provided is very helpful UI to track the whole process. The YML templates make it very easy to set up and the git configuration part is very well documented and just a few steps can make it work.

Cons

The pricing of the tool is a bit on the higher side compared to its competitors. Docker support is not complete.

Alvaro from Koombea

automated test do it right

Pros

- Is integrated with several tools like slack - Configure a project is simple and quick, and most of the cases once you have done this, you will not need to log in into the platform. You will have build going in a couple of hours. - I have it running in several project and works really well.

Cons

- Pricing could be a little bit better I guess or have a better free plan for beginners, I don't think any cons of using CircleCI actually.

Darrell "Jeremy" from Allstacks

Great build/deploy tool

It's quick, easy to set up, and I like it. There are some usability fixes that are needed around user maangement, but otherwise, it's great! And works with all of the languages I use out of the box, and with no configuration.

Pros

CircleCI was great and easy to set up. It allows me to see what's going on with all of my builds quickly and in real time.

Cons

The user management is not very good. I have 5 contributors to a repo, and I can only add two of them as users. I can't even add users that aren't a contributor to the repo. My boss, my QA people, and my PMs can't see anything that's happening in the platform.

Noah from Grove Collaborative

I love CI about as much as Circle does

Pros

The simplicity of configuration is unparalleled. We use CI on new projects day one. The ease of use, and setup, is definitely what keeps us coming back.

Cons

Lack of tools for multi project repos. We would love to keep our front and back-end code together in one repo while splitting the CI for them. So, it'd be great if we could run two builds separately based on the same repo.

Jose F. from Koombea

This is the option to increased productivity

CircleCI has always been focused on productivity and simplicity without setting aside functionality and to me it works very well.

Pros

CircleCI takes away the need to fiddle with infrastructure and lets teams focus strictly on CI and CD. It's enjoyable to use, and helps integrate with multiple technologies in order to keep everything efficiently connected.

Steve from Pantheon

Best UX for SaaS CI

Pros

When I first starting using CircleCI with version 1 I loved the simplicity. Every code would execute the commands in a relatively simple yml file. Version 2 is far more powerful and flexible. It took me a while to get used to but I still find Circle's ease of use to make it my choice over others.

Cons

Version 2 has a lot of complexity that can make it hard to get started with. Their Orbs concept is bringing back some simplicity.

Reasons for Switching to CircleCI

I found the Travis UI very confusing.

Dennis from Trellis

CircleCI is a blessing

CircleCI is crucial to what we're doing and it's powerful. I've enjoyed using it for awhile now.

Pros

It's powerful, it's got lots of features, and the customization is limitless. CircleCI improves the developer experience many times over. It's also fairly reliable, and makes handling a large project simpler.

Cons

It can go down sometimes, debugging can be a bit hard and cryptic. Support is also fairly lackluster.

Reasons for Choosing CircleCI

CircleCI is cheaper.

Ben from Top Floor Technologies

An amazing product that revolutionized our testing and deployment processes!

Pros

CircleCI does everything we want in a CI product, and it works in the way that we want to use it (which is visiting the CircleCI user interface as little as possible). It offers very solid integrations with other services (such as Slack and GitHub) and it works well for managing an entire team's projects without getting too cluttered.

Cons

It can be slow. Especially if you don't have a lot of parallelism, but even sometimes if you do, it can take a couple of minutes just to deploy minor changes sometimes. This isn't much of a problem in reality, it just means you might need a different approach to your deployment process (one that doesn't require you to sit and wait for CircleCI to run before you move on).

Timothy from Gaslight

Great tool

We have been able to do some incredible things with Circle CI as our continuous integration and deployment tool. Definitely recommend!

Pros

The flexibility of configuring build environments for various technologies stacks and needs is key. Circle CI provides some getting started assistance through documentation and tooling, and once you’re past that there really is very little in terms of constraints holding you back from near infinite flexibility. It’s a great service!

Cons

The threshold of minimum knowledge required to get started is a bit higher than some of the competitors.

Michal from SD

CircleCI CI/CD

It automates many repetitive tasks such as running the tests, building and deployment to various environments and it makes my life easier.

Pros

I am using CircleCI within many projects and I like it - its feature-rich, supports every usecase we need and from my perspective is absolutely sufficient as CI/CD tool for projects I was working on. It also has free plan which could be enough for smaller teams or projects.

Cons

Not very often, but still, sometimes an inexplicable black magic happens and it requires a bit of debugging and reconfiguring of the project or the CircleCI.

Yasmany from The Primos NYC Inc.

CI/CD with few lines

Integration with IOs allow us to build and test the mobile apps and automatize our whole CI/CD pipeline

Pros

Sine the release of circleci v2.0 using containers as the main advantage using circle has become much simpler and powerfull. Their integration with IOs its a powerup in front of other CI/CD platforms

Cons

The ui really needs to cleanup a bit, make it simpler. Also their need to provide more integrations with third party tools

Luis from Vivial

Using CircleCI

It has been a good experience overall, very minor downtimes. It has really helped me and our team to perform continious integration for our projects.

Pros

It let's you automate continuos integration fairly easy by just using a YML file. You can setup many different stages and rules for these stages to have different development environments. It's fairly easy to learn and implement. It integrates very well with Github.

Cons

Have seen a few downtimes in the last couple of months.

Ryan from N49.com

CircleCi has changed how we develop

Overall I've been really happy with the performance from circleci. Even their free plan has been great.

Pros

Has helped up to totally streamline our development and testing workflow. Each service has it's own pipeline. The management interface and docker integration have made the setup and monitoring process super simple.

Travis from Guild Education

Easy to use and powerful

Pros

Super easy configuration and initial setup. Powerful features like running steps of build/testing process in parallel. CircleCI is our teams core safety net for catching bugs and deploying safely, often.

Cons

Not a lot to dislike. Sometimes the interface changes and buttons that you used to expect to be there (like the one for rebuild with out cache) disappear. Hopefully there will be fewer of these unexpected changes as 2.0 becomes more mature.

Piyush from Fanatics

One of the best CI tools available

Full customization and scripting abilities. Using tools like bash scripts, SSH, and Node, running almost anything upon committing some code to GitHub becomes possible. Integration with all of our favorite services. GitHub and Slack in particular are crucial to our business and CircleCI's integration is seamless and full-featured.

Pros

Easy to configure via a YAML file Sends email notifications without the use of external services Not only runs our tests, but also triggers our deployments

Cons

Proactive communication about updates and breaking changes Questions to account rep can sometimes take too long (for us -- > 1 day) to respond

Filip from Castle Intelligence

Powerful CI / CD platform

Pros

Great UI, easy to setup, easy to manage. All integrations "just work", we use Slack notifications, webhooks for triggering build, and even those sweet browser notifications when we need to make sure that the build is successful. Impressive Docker support.

Cons

Circle 2.0 offers improved customizability, added more features, but for small and simple projects it's not as easy to setup anymore.

vikash from Impact Analytics

My favourite tool for continuous integration :)

Pros

It is easy to setup. It can do very fast parallel testing. I find UI of it clear and easy to use. it provide integration of many app like GitHub. it supports 8 languages and 16 databases and it also supports Headless browser.

Circle CI trusted by FB

Pros

Circle CI is being trusted by FB for React, and Fastlane. So if it works for them I think that is a great testament to it.

Cons

Doesn't allow as many languages and environments out of the box as Travis CI does.

Tung from UPTech Team

Great tool but lack tutorials

Pros

As any Continuous Integration tool it does what it should do. Builds and runs. Hard to say what's the most because haven't used other CI tools but CircleCI does what's expected and there was no thoughts about changing to other tools. So I would recommend using it.

Cons

The tutorials are not yet clear. They don't lead from start to workable CI.

Harmandeep from PeerIQ

CircleCI for build/deployment

Pros

It helps me to analyze all build quickly in real time. It is pretty simple to configure, setup and use. It has a pretty good integration with various remote repositories and it can run tests and give you results.

Cons

The learning curve is steep for some developers. It has two versions of the software, which sometimes makes it difficult to manage.

Ease of use and fast

Pros

Realy fast, and requires almost none configuration to get going, I didn't know much about it at the start, but then o learned a lot very fast.

Cons

People do not get its importance at first, it's a real pain to make them understand why should them to spend time on this sort of thing.

A CI/CD saas for the future

Pros

Cons

sometimes it goes crazy especially in service discoveries since we are using docker compose to build and orchestrate ci env.

Remco from Bleeve

Industry: Renewables & Environment

try building it manually

Pros

automated testing, building and deploying really helped or project in reaching maximum velocity for the scrum teams

Cons

What I least like about Circle CI is the slow learning curve for some of the programmers so that they are able to make a build and deploy script themselves

Introduced Circle CI 2.0 (Beta)

Pros

- Workflows is great tool for enabling parallel tasks - deep customization for cache controls - easily introduced deploy workflows

Cons

- config file tends to get verbose and too long ( I want to have some ways to separate concerns among some jobs)

Best CI I've ever used

Pros

-Docker support is great when using container based builds -Competitive pricing and free tier -Snappy / Responsive UI

Cons

-2.0 is missing features in 1.0 -Poor slack notification support -yml format is strange. More complex commands can be very ugly

Andrew from DataVoke, Inc.

If you haven't tried it, you need to

Pros

generous free plans for open source projects easy to set up plenty of features plenty of customization runs quick

Cons

Additional containers are a bit pricey. There are other services offering similar products at much lower prices.

Good UI and easy to use build system

Pros

Compared to some other build systems such as Jenkins, CircleCI has a much better, more modern UI. It's easy to do the most common tasks, such as check on a failed build, or restart a build.

Jamie from Praekelt.org

Powerful CI service with well-designed features

Pros

Very fast time to start on builds and you can pay for powerful machines to get your builds done faster. Clever use of containers. Shareable configuration snippets using Orbs.

Cons

Some parts of web UI don't seem to attempt to hide/reduce complexity and instead seem to try to impress you with all the builds you have running.

Very helpful and resonable pricing plans

I'm developing and managing various web services and mobile apps in a small startup. CircleCI is essential for productivity and maintaining code quality with my team.

Pros

It provides many useful features, and I can use most of them with a free plan. Customer service is also excellent.

Cons

'Workflows' is useful, but it can not be tested locally by its nature.

Anuoluwapo from Andela

My experience using Circle CI

Pros

Awesome UI/UX. Excellent customer service support and ease of use. There is also a constant update on the product based on feedback which is not common with most products.

Cons

The developer community of Circle CI is not so strong compared to some other product. The have taken feedback on this and are already improving it.

Very easy

Pros

The software works great, is fast, and extremely easy to use.

Cons

None, but I believe paid options could be less expensive

Excellent Service. A tool that can not be present on your stack.

Pros

Fast, seamlessly, easy to implement. Well documented. Move from 1.0 to 2.0 was a piece of cake with a ton of improvements.

Cons

We are still fighting to get docker-compose to support cache but we know how hard is to enable caching on docker layers.

CircleCI smoothened our provision process!

It was great, as CircleCI helped to save our time. Also, it has a nice interface plus webhooks integration for us to build notifications center without any trouble!

Pros

CircleCI is a great software for provisioning software or applications before publishing them on the production environment. It speeds up our provisioning process and allows us to debug our applications really well! Saved us a lot of time so we can work on something better!

Cons

The pricing of concurrent jobs and containers is too high, I can set up one myself using other hosting providers at a way cheaper price.

Very Good

Pros

CircleCI is a very good tool that comes with a very nice UI. In addition it is pretty intuitive to use.

Cons

Maybe the free plan could be enhanced for young start-ups as they often try to cut costs everywhere.

FIrst time using a CI tool, and CircleCI delivers!

CircleCI brings a lot of security to our code deployment workflow: running unit and integration tests, and code analysis such as linters, it's a godsent.

Pros

This is my first experience using a CI software tool, and it's AMAZING. Tools that automate the workflow of code deployment gives a lot of

Cons

Not too much of a problem, but there's somewhat of a learning curve to set up your environment. Took me a few days to educate myself in the specifics, such as caching, jobs, workers etc.

Kyle from K12 Systems

Another Continuous Integration Application

Easy to work with and I recommend you try one CI application. Even if its just for running code test automatically, or even it may make your developer start writing tests for their code.

Pros

Fully integrated with docker and because everything is moving to containers (or should be for scalability) this is huge for us. Tests can run automatically after pushing commits help identify problems before our clients would find them. The earlier you find a bug the cheaper its costs you in the end.

Frank from Alliance One International

Circle CI is the most comprehensive CI/CD tool I have used

I am very excited to use Circle CI because of how quick the build process is compared to other CI/CD tools like travis

Pros

Circle CI offers so much control over how to test, build and deploy code. Workflows make it easy to automate CI/CD jobs in workflows organized in clearly defined steps that trigger concurrently or depend one job to trigger before another can be executed. I love how the interface offers a graphical user interface that clearly shows the different stages or steps the build process goes through and follow to whichever job is failing the build

Cons

The configuration can take time to set up with some config files growing up to about 200 lines of code. But fortunately circle ci offers a way to reduce repeating code while using aliases and executors

Great product to test and automate for teams

CircleCI helps organize our build pipeline and catch issues early that would cause problems in production.

Pros

CircleCI is great for doing pipelines and integrating commits from each member of our teams. Great error reporting helps identify errors right away.

Cons

Their mobile experience needs improvement. Not everything is available on their mobile app and a computer is required for some tasks.

Permana from Bullseye

Very good CI/CD tools

I'm on free plan of CircleCI and the software is very useful.

Pros

I use the free version and it is very good software. You can download CircleCI to your local machine by using docker and then run the test on local before committing your code.

Cons

Documentation needs a bit of work. So far so good, but needs more explanation about how to set it up on a certain framework

Julio from PushStart

Industry: Computer Games

A good CI, except if you target iOS

Have tried CircleCI a candidate for our CI system. Had to give up on it because of our iOS applications

Pros

CircleCI is a easy to use solution for building and deploying your projects. It support concurrency and has unlimited build time in most plans

Cons

If you need to build on MacOS, you'll need to pay a high price and get limited build time. This makes the solution less desirable than its competitors.

A cross-platform CICD tool for everyone

Pros

Multi-architecture builds, full Docker support, and streamlined declarative pipeline config made me feel right at home!

Cons

Could use a better comparative analysis marketing doc to explain differences from folks coming from Travis-CI to better understand the advantages.

Continuous integration on the cloud

Pros

It's an excellent unobtrusive CI that keeps developers writing software rather than waiting for tests to finish. It can quickly run through thousands of tests and send alerts once complete. The UI is great and easy to use.

Cons

The config is probably the worst of the cloud CI software.

Continuous Integration done right

Pros

Robust, easy to use, great documentation, great feature set even on a free plan with sizable 1,500 build minutes per month (quite a lot for smaller projects).

Cons

As you grow, cost rises quite rapidly as well, especially if you require multiple containers run in parallel.

Denis from Nubank

Gets the tests done

I code for a number of repositories that are integrated with CircleCI to run several integration, schema and unit tests. I have never had to configure it, and I imagine that the work required to do so is non-negligible. However, after that, it's very easy to use and automate a very boring, yet very important part our processes.

Pros

- Integration with GitHub and Slack - Automation of several types of tests (schema validation, integration, unit tests, etc) - Easy to monitor the results of tests while they're still running

Cons

Perhaps due to the high volume of simultaneous users, sometimes it would be faster to run tests locally rather than on circleci