What are Claris FileMaker users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Claris FileMaker software through verified user reviews

• icon"I like the user interface which is easy to use most of the time. I also like the power of its data management system and its new mobile interfaces."
  • icon"It has a complex structure which makes it robust yet it is very easy to use and learn. It makes the planning very easy for our projects."
  • icon"Convenient tool of script creation. Excellent feature of built-in graphical user interface."
  • icon"The bad thing about being able to do much is the requests from staff for new additions."
  • icon"It's incredibly intimidating and not user friendly to somebody coming on who is not familiar. It's also very easy to accidentally create very messy data."
  • icon"It requires a computer scientist to figure out how to use it now. What was simple and intuitive became complicated and confusing."

Browse all Claris FileMaker Reviews

• Have you used Claris FileMaker and would like to share your experience with others?

Glen

Industry: Graphic Design

Fabulously easy to use Database software

I use it to manage contacts and expenses and I have built the database that a photo library use to run their business every day! I cannot fault this software!

Pros

I first started using this years ago when I ran an art department for a publishers, and wanted something more robust than Excel to manage the data! I instantly fell in love with this humble but powerful software! Once you get past the "If Then" stuff it's a doddle to set up very complex seeming databases that analyse, your data and build reports for you!

Cons

If anything it's pretty minor they could use an idiots walk through to get you over the initial hurdles of understanding logic queries, but even without this, this software is so elegantly simple even a moron like me managed to get by!

Reasons for switching to Claris FileMaker

Excel was far to weak to manage the vast amount of text I needed to store, I was recording notes and also due dates against actuals to see how we were performing, building custom reports to so clearly where bottle-necks were! I could not have accomplished what I did without this software acting as the back bone!

allison

The only database you will EVER need

We use Filemaker for all of our database and customer relation needs. It is extremely easy to set up and teach users how to navigate. Much different software integrate very easily with Filemaker. Filemaker is a dream to work with. If you can imagine it you can create it with a FileMaker layout. You can even use it to set up your website. Users can also access your databases via a web interface with no need for a license. Another great feature is the mobile apps which run very smoothly.

Pros

Ease of Use Features Stability Updates Integrations

Cons

Licensing prices . Fees to obtain newer and better versions.

Reasons for choosing Claris FileMaker

Filemaker was more flexible, affordable, and easier to use.

Reasons for switching to Claris FileMaker

advanced MD was very expensive and you had to pay them to make any customizations. Filemaker you can customize every part of it yourself.

July 2022

Claris FileMaker for Business

FileMaker can do the job. It is flexible and adaptable. There are other easier to learn, cleaner, and modern database solutions out there that don't require specific certification courses to learn the nuances of.

Pros

This software gets the job done. You can create databases and stores and more with this software; it's very flexible.

Cons

This database solution was by far the hardest software I've had to learn how to use. Frequently our company had to hire consulting companies to manage our legacy databases after our lead designer left the team.

Alex

Great for database and scripts, a dinosaur for a modern app with complex data relation

It was really great few years ago, powerful and clean for database, easy enough to build the interface. But as the world is changing to web and dynamic UI, Filemaker has not made any step on this, and is getting completely outdated. Also the data constrain is a problem when you are building a complex app that requires either internal or external users, to access different data in a clean and easy way. There are privacy settings for the database of course, but the problem is that when building the UI you cannot make lists, search, and in short, any access to the records, to be really constrained by different criteria. If you have 40k records in a table, you cannot easily allow in a page, search or element just to show a part of those records. You only can build scripts and crazy relations as workarounds to simulate a kind of constraint on the layouts, but that is not efficient at all for developing and you reach the limitation in the UI soon. Filemaker a decade ago was like a mule to plow the field in the 18th century, powerful and efficient, and nowadays it is still basically the same mule, just that the ecosystem possibilities and necessities changed.

Pros

The database management is great, easy and powerful. The scripts and conditional logic are superpowerful, you can make almost any kind of process with the scripts, just takes time and a high learning curve to squeeze all its possibilities. Building simple static interfaces is fairly easy and quick.

Cons

A) UI: the interface engine is completely outdated for a modern app, is not that you can't build beautiful UI, you can, as far it does not require real responsiveness and conditionals. When a layout (page) needs to have a dynamic interface, which means conditionals for show/hide elements and adapt the rest of the elements, you just can't. Is possible to hide elements of course, but not to adapt the behavior for the rest of the elements. In a simple interface with only a few fields, you can handle it easily, but for complex/flexible UI, it becomes a nightmare with a lot of data that you cannot show dynamically. 10 years ago it was all that was out there, and therefore the CRM UI were those big messy layouts with a lot of data. For nowadays the web design moved to dynamic UI where less is more, if you want an interface to be easy to read and understand, you really need to show less data at the same time, for that you need dynamic and flexible UI, which is not possible to build with Filemaker. B) Data access/constraint: relations in the database are made in a way (classic relations between tables) that while is intuitive and easy to understand, is very difficult and limited for big and complex relations. Why? It is possible to make any relation, but the quantity of relations you need and the complexity (usually chaos) that comes with is huge. Also, real constraints far data calls from the UI are not possible, you always have to call the full data from the UI.

Thomas

April 2022

tolle Client-Server-Datenbankplattform für KMU-Anwendungen

Eine gute und solide Datenbankplattform im Client-Server-Modell für kleinere Unternehmen von ca. 5-100 Datenbankbenutzer. Die Plattform bietet auch für kleine und kleinste Entwicklerteams einen Weg, einsatzfähige und relativ umfangreiche Lösungen innert verhältnismässig kurzer Zeit (Wochen bis Monate) fertigzustellen. Die Plattform droht aktuell den Anschluss an viele Konkurrenten zu verlieren und muss Ihr Entwickler-GUI und Ihre Webfähigkeiten ausbauen. Beim Lizenzmodell ist die Schmerzgrenze vieler Endkunden im Zielsegment erreicht. Der Hersteller muss aufpassen, den Bogen nicht zu überspannen.

Pros

Erprobte, stabile Entwicklungsplattform für kleine bis mittlere KMU-Datenbanklösungen. Plattform entwickelt sich vorsichtig evolutionär weiter (gute Rückwärtskompatibilität), was für Business-Anwendungen wichtig ist. Enwicklungszeit für neue Lösungen ist im Verhältnis zu Allzweckprogrammiersprachen (z.B. Java, C#, usw.) gering (häufig nur Wochen bis Monate). Auch kleinste Entwicklerteams (1-3 Entwickler) können relativ mächtige Lösungen entwickeln und betreuen.

Cons

Die Entwickler-GUI ist in grossen Teilen stark veraltet und umständlich in der Bedienung. Die Webfähigkeiten sind eingeschränkt. Das Lizenzmodell muss sich an der Zielgruppe ausrichten, dabei hat der Hersteller die allerkleinsten KMU-Kunden (<5 Nutzer) in den letzten Jahren bereits ausgeschlossen und droht, weitere Kunden zu verlieren, weil die Plattform-Kosten inzwischen für viele zu hoch sind..

Reasons for choosing Claris FileMaker

Preis/Leistung und Lizenzmodell von FileMaker hat mehr überzeugt.

Reasons for switching to Claris FileMaker

Ruby on Rails verändert sich in enormem Tempo. Wer nicht als Vollzeitentwickler und evtl. in grösseren Teams ausschliesslich mit Ruby on Rails arbeitet, verliert relativ schnell den Anschluss und muss Lösungen andauernd überarbeiten, ohne zu einem vernünftigen Abschluss zu kommen.

Nicolas

Industry: Printing

FileMaker Pro is the easiest database manager for everyone

Very stable ! We use it now on our Windows server and several Win and Mac clients.

Pros

The easy and stable way to use it and improve it daily, as you want.

Cons

Only iOS mobile App (no Android). Restriction without big consequence for me.

Reasons for choosing Claris FileMaker

First on the market with light knowledge and stable result : we use it since 1995 !

Alison

Overall ease of use if familiar with WYSIWYG programming, otherwise can be difficult to manipulate.

We are able to build our IT assets database using this software. We are able to replicate our insurance claim form within it to pull information from our asset record and have another layout for the repairs. We are able to seamlessly find a record, make a new insurance repair record, click a button to email our insurance provider, print mailing and asset labels, and communicate back to the user with just three layouts including the labels. Our previous database, before being rebuilt was 53 layouts but was able to be streamlined to just the three using some slick little boxes that keep a record of repairs on a single device, and by using buttons. This makes filing insurance repair claims much quicker than filling out their excel and PDF forms by hand and also gives us a location to keep our own record.

Pros

I like the granularity of the software and the fact that it can be almost limitless in the possibilities. We use this software to keep our IT asset database, and when we lost the member of our team who managed our database to retirement, we found ourself in a quandary the first time it did not function as needed due to a change in our insurance company's requirements. I was able to figure out the software on my own and rebuild our database in simplified form within three weeks, and fully import all of our assets. Layouts are easily modifiable and integrate well into other applications, like mail. Scripts were easily definable through a little trial and error for this novice. Additionally, the fact that multiple people at our organization can be viewing a single record at once is quite helpful, even if only one can edit at a time, which is easily understandable. Overall, a solid product.

Cons

In terms of cons, Filemaker, while robust, is not very friendly for new users. It is easy to override data that is not locked, and when items are locked, they tend to not be able to function in scripts as well as unlocked data. Additionally, while the data in fields may be requisite for locking, with the chance of change being a rarity, it is not fragile enough to warrant it be locked and unlocked in layout every time. A protective middle-ground would be nice to be able to implement with the click of a button rather than having to write a script to go "Are you sure?". Additionally, my IT director of several years was unable to rebuild or modify our database without issue despite 16 years of IT experience and many more years than myself with FM. My background in WYSIWYG programs like Adobe GoLive prepared me for their natural, if sometimes clunky, nature. I wish the software was less clunky, and more user-friendly, because it would be great for general IT users.

Alan

May 2022

built in obsolescence makes it so you have to constantly upgrade software

I use it for invoicing, letter writing, and contracts; it is my database; it used to be my label printer but no more - it is too hard to line up the labels in the application with the Avery labels for mailings.

Pros

I have been using the software since its first release in the 80s. It was once user-friendly, but now I need to use a developer who writes code in the background to make it do anything, and I can't service it myself. It does what I need it to do, but it has cost me thousands and thousands of dollars to make it do what I need it to do now because of the built-in obsolescence. Every time I buy a update my operating system or purchase a new computer, I can expect also to spend hundreds of dollars to update FileMaker

Reasons for choosing Claris FileMaker

My ex-wife did the first product PR Release for the product. We got a free copy and it's been hell using it ever since. I should have used almost any other program.

Steve

Claris Filemaker Pro

Our overall experience with FileMaker has been very rewarding because of the amount of training help available.

Pros

Ease of use makes the learning curve of this product easier to deploy than other products.

Cons

The biggest problem with Filemaker has to do with upgrading. When Claris issues a new major upgrade, previous templates cannot use the new upgrade. Your templates have to be recreated in the upgraded version to take advantage of any new features.

Ease of use.

May 2022

Nice

Nice

Pros

Thank you for your great program, looking forward to his rise to the top.

Cons

Nothing this is good thank you for thiis

Industry: Public Safety

December 2021

As good as you want to make it

Good, just know it is only and good as how much time you can dedicate to making it.

Pros

The software if fully customizable and it truly as good as you want to make it.

Cons

For someone that doesn’t work in the development on a regular basis, I found myself having to relearn everything anytime I wanted to make a change.

Simple database software, that can be used for so much more

Organisation, and minimising of repetitive tasks

Pros

Filemaker is extremely adaptable. It can be used by a small one-or-two computer setup, right up to a huge conglomerate. The software remains the same, and enables your business to grow without having to keep changing software. They are constantly updating the extra functionality; with the latest revision there is more possibility for engagement with other applications, enhanced security, and a re-designed interface for PC users. I have been using FMP for the last 10 years, first as a tool in my business, and latterly as a developer with many companies. It is as robust today as it was when I started, and keeps getting better.

Cons

Enabling the use of FIlemaker on a large-scale for a small company is very difficult. Let me explain... Company A provides security guards to Clubs, Shops, Companies, etc... They have a full-time workforce of 10 employees, and then 400 security personnel on their books as either casual or part-time employees. The 10 full-time employees utilise Filemaker Pro to book jobs for the part-time and casual employees, the software is also used for vetting potential new recruits, invoicing companies, and keeping a history of who has worked where, and any comments from either side about that. An extra function would be to allow the part-time and casual employees the ability to see part of the Filemaker database, so they could access their upcoming jobs and leave any comments. With iBeacons, a safety system could also be utilised to make sure they are on patrol at a certain time in a given location. With Filemaker's current structure, each casual worker would need their own license to make this extra functionality easily happen, which of course is prohibitively expensive. But if that is the only drawback I can think of, then they are doing just fine!

Jim

Filemaker has brought to light data service saving hours of data manipulation producing tears of joy

Keeping Data secure and yet available to our employees gives them a sense of in control. We use the data to produce a daily log of their activity and then use that data to bill our customers. It is so much better than trying to find the data from their individual reports and then creating the reports on a monthly basis. Now we simply hit a button and the reports are done. I love how as a developer we can see our users appreciate the software because it makes their jobs easier and gives them the sense that they can concentrate on other things rather than the record keeping. Our users are happier and excited about bringing the qualifiers of the data to light so they can justify their work. In an app that tracks trouble requests, a log is created to show all that the tech people do to facilitate repair issues. No longer are those in charge wondering what their subordinates are doing. They can just open the app and see what they've accomplished.

Pros

I love that if you can think it, Filemaker can produce it. Given the time to develop motion, you can get the software to repeat that motion over and over. That saves time and time is money. I love how it provides mental exercise while developing but also is intuitive when it comes to building a custom application that the whole business can take advantage. After an introduction to a new "app" built in Filemaker, it isn't long that all departments ask "what could it do for us?" And the answer is "what do you need". It is so versatile. Integration with things like email, Google, Office can lead to great productivity.

Cons

The think I like least is the capability in reports to do some word processing capabilities. But it's still a great Form library. But I wish it could insert a page break that would be understood while printing a report.

Filemaker Pro Developer for many years

Pros

Filemaker Pro allows you to prototype and built database production grade applications fast. The nicest thing about Filemaker Pro is that you built the database structure, scripts and layouts in the same application. Building lay outs is as easy as drag and drop and doesn't require extensive design skills or knowledge of secondary technologies such as HTML/CSS/JavaScript. Personally I think anyone who's willing to dedicated some time for training is able to become a Filemaker Developer. Another nice thing is that database applications can easily be integrated with mobile platforms. Filemaker applications can be hosted online (cloud), on premise on Filemaker Server and locally on the Filemaker client. The applications that I've build with Filemaker run for 10+ years already on a Filemaker Server multi site environment and is in use by 25+ people on a daily basis. Filemaker is regularly updated (major versions usually once a year) which introduces new features. These updates make Filemaker better each round, for instance the latest upgrade introduces sensory perception for IOS devices and a new administration console. Finally, the development and implementation costs of Filemaker Pro applications are very low compared to enterprise database solutions making it really attractive for SMB. The licensing is server and client based and there is also a subscription based license to be paid annually.

Cons

The pros of Filemaker Pro heavily outweigh its cons but here is a few: - Performance of applications is nowhere as good as that of enterprise solutions, especially when multiple clients from different sites connect to an on premise hosted server. - Filemaker has its own scripting engine, which is pretty good, but some functions/operations can be a bit difficult to implement due to its limitations which is easier in SQL.

Useful but complicated

It's solving my inventory problem. I ended up using an off shoot of filemaker pro which was organized by a fellow artist for my inventory needs. This was exceedingly useful because she had already sat down and done all the complicated set up work and I'm reaping the rewards. This has allowed me to organize all the work I have physically in my apartment as well as the work that is consigned. It has helped me keep track of the production costs so that I know how to price the pieces for sale. It has helped me easily pull up the titles when sending out proposals. The list could go on and on. It's a vastly useful software if you can get over the initial hurdle of making the database a reflection of your personal needs.

Pros

I regularly use this software for inventory reasons, especially in relation to art. With that said, it allows you to build your own layout and database to adapt it to exactly what you want it to be. When fully adapted it works beautifully. Using it in the context of galleries or other spaces where it has been set up is a dream. It allows relatively easy searches in many categories, allowing you to create very specific, isolated keywords to find things later (such as their price, year created, subject matter, title, name of creator etc). It's very useful.

Cons

This software is not easy to set up. I did a trial run at my house, as an artist myself, to see if I could use filemaker for my own inventory needs. Once I had the software downloaded, I found it exceedingly complicated to begin to create the boxes/ qualifiers with which I wanted to be able to add data. I don't consider myself a novice with softwares. I think I'm fairly capable on a computer and even after watching a few YouTube tutorials I ended up giving up on the prospect of using this at home. It seems more relevant for businesses where there is someone well-versed in database softwares to adapt it to yoru specific needs.

Joel

The Best Database Software for Small to Medium Businesses, AND for Beginners Starting Out

We have done our timekeeping in FileMaker for over two decades. We developed numerous other business solutions that have had a significant impact on our ability to be profitable and become more efficient at everything we do as a company.

Pros

I tried learning databases with SQL and MS Access. It wasn't until I started using FileMaker that I really began understanding how databases work. Although FileMaker is VERY powerful, it caters to beginners in a way that no other software does. The ability to grasp how databases function, how to build them, how to maintain them, and how to develop a solution for yourself, or others, is unmatched. I learned databases with FileMaker and that has helped me understand how SQL works and how databases in general work. All this to say that the thing I like the most about FileMaker is how easy it was to learn along with how powerful it is to develop in. I can make something small for myself, or something huge for a client.

Cons

FileMaker's weakest spot has to do with user interface (layout) tools. Although there is a very good selection of controls available, it pales in comparison to what you can get with other software. Even a free version of Visual Studio will provide you with a lot more layout controls than FileMaker. Although this is FileMaker's biggest weakness, it also means that you aren't overwhelmed with options when designing layouts. That feeds into FileMaker's strengths of being easy to learn.

Peter

Fantastic prototyping and database system

At my old job at a translation company, I built an entire "company management system" from scratch over the course of 10 years. The database(s) handles everything from employees, customers, timesheets, project management, invoicing, subletting workstations (they also ran a small office hotel). A lot of functions were built into the databases to offload a lot of manual tasks to the scripts. Importing Trados project translation data the project management database, allowing the invoicing, translator payments and project data to be easily calculated. This was previously a manual process and calculation which took more than an hour to gather and process. I wrote a parser in Filemaker that parsed the Trados Project data file, which contained all the data anyway. Thus reducing several hours of (manual) labor per project to mere seconds. There were many of such special functions that was offloaded to Filemaker scripts. Also wrote an SMS/texting script (which used Envaya SMS on an android phone), allowing easy contact with the translators from within the Project Management database. Quick and easy communication with the translators without having to look up their phone numbers all the time.

Pros

The most powerful part of FileMaker is its scripting platform. It makes it easy to add many more functions to a database, while requiring a lot less experience with programming than e.g. coding in SQL. Simple IF/THEN/ELSE commands is a godsend, when you need to create a logic for database functions. While making logic statements is also possible in SQL, it is far from easy, and getting data from a field in SQL? You need a lot of commands; in Filemaker, you just select the relevant field or can even make a logic function that selects the correct field. I could write for hours about the fantastic scripting system...

Cons

Only dislike I have, is that I currently do not have the time to delve into some serious database-design and programming, but that is not actually a problem with the software, but stress-levels at work... So unfortunately I do not use Filemaker at my new job, but I remember it fondly from my old job. (and that is a con in my book, that I do not get to use FileMaker on a daily basis). It's not like we do not have tasks that could benefit from a Filemaker Database, but there are just a lot of other tasks that needs doing.

Easy, powerful do it yourself solution

I have used FileMaker for 22 years and am continually impressed with its evolution. It has leap-frogged passed Access as a "home database" and now competes with top-level professional data solutions. FileMaker Go is a pleasure to use. I have built my own Contacts solution that is years ahead of anything in the iOS app store. I wish a customer portal could be built to make dealing with support issues easier. The single biggest request, an Android version, falls on deaf ears; likely because FileMaker is owned by Apple Inc.

Pros

The FileMaker platform (desktop, server, cloud, FileMaker Go mobile app) is lightyears in simplicity ahead of Microsoft Access - which I often hear as the "go-to do it yourself" solution. FileMaker is ridiculously simple to use, especially when using a built-in starter solution. FileMaker scales to almost enterprise levels of use. The scripting functionality make creation of custom apps (no longer called "solutions") a very quick affair. FileMaker works with Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, and the iOS FileMaker Go App. Pricing is very reasonable considering all it does.

Cons

Development of the platform usually runs slower than emerging technologies can be incorporated. There is no Android version of the mobile app. The web app is an acceptable solution for simple solutions, but usually not a good option for apps using complex scripting. Support can be challenging. There is no customer portal to manage keys and payment information.

Stefany

Complex Relational Databases for Non-Complex Creators.

A simple way to throw a database together in minutes for a mailing list or tracking inventory. With the same ease of use, you can have a complex structure for a relational database. Filemaker has allowed me to create what I need myself. Without hiring or outsourcing, I was able to save a great deal of money.

Pros

I've been a user of Filemaker on and off since it's early days as a Claris product. The number one pro in my opinion is the ease in which you can start using Filemaker Databases. The templates out of the gate are well built, have a nice UI and give you the freedom to make them yours easily. Beginners can use the templates to get a taste for the Filemaker development structure while not having to climb a steep learning curve to get an app or database off the ground. Deployment is one click for simple web use and a few more clicks to deploy on a hosted solution like Amazon Web Services. For the expert user, complex systems can be made in a shorter amount of time and a GUI can be in place at the same time. Single developer and teams can all just in can create some thing truly functional and efficient. The ease of use allows you to really create what you wanted not what you are able to achieve due to a learning curve. Help is readily available in the forums and through their customer support. I have received database files as example of how to fix a problem I was having. They really go the extra mile to get you up and running fast. There is a vast library of plug-ins from third party vendors that close the gap on development time. Days if not weeks of time can be saved with one plug-in. They don't come cheap so be sure you need it. There is are also a multitude of free add-ons and plug-in to add functionality to your databases.

Cons

Licensing is a little steep for a small business or single user. The add-ons are also a bit pricey. When looking at the cost to develop, you really need to budget and make sure you only buy what you need.

Matthew

Industry: Publishing

Excellent database platform. Easy to use and easy to develop for.

After switching to FileMaker Server from another horrible piece of software, we are now able to easily do the development of our databases ourselves. This makes it a very flexible system for us.

Pros

FileMaker is incredibly easy to work with, offers generally well documented online help docs, and has a huge and active community of developers you can learn from. We have used FileMaker Server to host about 20 different databases with great results. I don't think I can overstate it enough that it was very easy for us to learn the software. We migrated from an outdated and ill-supported database system where development was only officially supported by the company that made the software. Contrast that with FileMaker where you are expected to do the development yourself because it's so simple. Very glad we switched to FileMaker.

Cons

I suppose my least favorite thing about FileMaker Server is that upgrading to a new version requires you to uninstall the current version first. This means you have to take some steps to preserve your server-specific settings before the uninstall/upgrade process otherwise you'll be starting from scratch with your server settings. Some settings can be exported to a file, but for others you have to take screenshots to preserve the settings which is a slight pain. This doesn't affect the databases you've created, but would affect scripts that are scheduled to run from the server.

Julio

The best cross-platform rapid application development framework out there!

We have been developing custom B2B apps extensively on this platform for over 15 years and use it internally for our own business.

Pros

You can quickly and easily design powerful and sophisticated custom applications that run on Mac, Windows, iOS, and the Web. You develop once and deploy the same base code on all platforms, customizing your forms according to each platform's needs. Their iOS runtimes take great advantage of Apple technologies like: the buit-in GPS hardware and external iBeacons for location/geolocation based workflows  the built-in camera for snapping photos and reading 2-D Barcode (barcode scanning) multi-touch, for gesture-triggered actions and capturing on-screen signatures Their Server and Cloud products are among the easiest to deploy and maintain. Their proprietary WebDirect technology is the easiest and fastest way to deploy web-based applications for workgroups that I have ever seen. Their suite of built-in web-integration capabilities spans the gamut: PHP, cURL, REST APIs, XML, and WebDirect.

Cons

Lack of a built-in push notification mechanism, either thru their Servers or via the host OS. Also, their Cloud product could benefit from Load Balancing support.

Jeff

Powerful database system with easy to learn/use interface, but also powerful development back-end.

The feature I enjoy most is the capability to use the product cross platform. I have a Windows 10 PC running at my desk, I use an Apple MacBook Pro on the road, along with my iPad where ever, and FileMaker gives me the ability to use my database applications on all those platforms.

Pros

Import your Excel spreadsheet, place a few fields on a form, within minutes you have created a user interface as a starting point for what can become a very powerful business application. Using the database manager, you can create links between data tables quickly and visually. Cross platform capable! Run the application on a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, or use a web interface (requires the server product). Once you start using this product, and it becomes an integral part of your business operation, you can either teach yourself the advanced features, or hire a consultant to help you out as there is a very strong developer community. The development language is a easy to learn scripting language.

Cons

FileMaker still struggles to gain acceptance in IT departments, and yet it is a legitimate application development environment with very powerful capabilities.

Duane

I have used the product as both a user/administrator, and as developer.

Pros

The software is easy to use and relatively easy to learn from a developer's standpoint. It has all of the functional capability one needs to develop a useful database application, such as contact/client management or - in my case - management of an art gallery's permanent collection.

Cons

What do you do when you outgrow the system or want to migrate to a more robust database system? For me this is the major drawback of Filemaker Pro - there are no tools to help you export a complete file that can be imported into another database. You can import text fields and fields with yes/no on/off switches, but you cannot export images/photographs. This is a major drawback if you are planning to use the product for a couple of years before migrating to a standard relational database. Basically, Filemaker Pro files are proprietary files and are not accessible to standard relational database methods, such as SQL. This is okay if (a) you will not outgrow the product or (b) you have no images/photographs included in the database.

Industry: Law Practice

My Most Valuable Tool

Excellent customer support and a vast library of online k knowledge and solutions.

Pros

I have been using FileMaker since probably 1988. That would be 32 years. It is the most valuable tool in my office. I can easily create a database to manage specific information. I have databases I set up early on that I still use. I created a time and billing program when Macs still ran on system 9, and it has worked ever since with no modifications. I have been using FileMaker in court to win cases since the first Apple laptop computer. Kf you want command of your information, FileMaker is the tool to help you do it.

Cons

1. It does not work well with Adobe Acrobat. When I import pdf's I am unable to annotate them or even highlight passages. 2. FileMaker server requires ports used for web hosting. I had to set up my website host computer at a separate location. I am sure I could have found a workaround, but that is beyond my ability.

Ease of use.

Phillip

I have been a Filemaker Pro user for years

I was able to overcome old paper inventory systems by integrating an invoicing and CRM system together.

Pros

I like the fact that I can create almost anything with this platform. from Inventory Management to client Management, Lead Systems, Invoicing and Product Categories. I once automated a product catalog with this software for thousands of products.

Cons

Sometimes the scripting between modules was difficult to figure out, but I was able to find help with thie support and forums.

Reasons for switching to Claris FileMaker

Ease of use for invoicing

Claris FileMaker