• Pros

• "Excellent software and easy to use. Have been using this software for the last 25 years."

• "Solid program, and it does what you need it to do. Can do a lot of custom work with it, and very quick to implement. "

• "It's very easy to use. It's very easy to work with layouts and to make changes in Filemaker if needed."

• Cons

• "The only downside is that it can be a little expensive for some smaller clients. But compared to other platforms, the power you get with FileMaker is a great value."

• "I experience some bugs here and there but nothing specific enough to call out. Small things such as the window changing sizes after macros are done."

• "Honestly, there are very few cons with FileMaker. The interface is easy to navigate, it was easy to integrate, and it has a quick learning curve."

Browse Claris FileMaker Reviews

Glen from Glen Saville Design & Art Direction

Industry: Graphic Design

Fabulously easy to use Database software

I use it to manage contacts and expenses and I have built the database that a photo library use to run their business every day! I cannot fault this software!

Pros

I first started using this years ago when I ran an art department for a publishers, and wanted something more robust than Excel to manage the data! I instantly fell in love with this humble but powerful software! Once you get past the "If Then" stuff it's a doddle to set up very complex seeming databases that analyse, your data and build reports for you!

Cons

If anything it's pretty minor they could use an idiots walk through to get you over the initial hurdles of understanding logic queries, but even without this, this software is so elegantly simple even a moron like me managed to get by!

Reasons for Switching to Claris FileMaker

Excel was far to weak to manage the vast amount of text I needed to store, I was recording notes and also due dates against actuals to see how we were performing, building custom reports to so clearly where bottle-necks were! I could not have accomplished what I did without this software acting as the back bone!

Alan from Alan Sands Entertainment, LLC

Filemaker - no longer user friendly - will be forced to retire it

When I started using the program, I watched two videos created by MacAcademy and was quickly able to do countless things with the program. It is used as my letterhead, for printing labels for mailings, for record keeping as I communicate with hundreds of potential clients, invoicing, contracts and so much more. i used this program as my primary app on my computer. I used it more than MSWord, or a spread sheet. It was my phonebook and diary - now... I hardly ever use it anymore it has become so difficult to deal with and disfunctional.

Pros

My wife did the very first PR release in the 1980's of Claris FileMaker when it was first created for market. I am one of the very first users of this database program. i have used the program since it's infancy. It is a strong relational database program able to handle the largest most complex tasks. It is also very versatile. it is sound in its structure, does not crash, does not loss data and once it is programmed it is pretty easy to use.

Cons

It has become so complex, that even after paying $1,000 for a three day training on how to use all the latest necessary features to program the the program, I am incapable of doing it myself. It is disgustingly hard to change anything from a users side without being a very computer savvy programmer. This makes it so it is no longer user friendly to me. It is also very expensive to buy the latest upgrades and the older versions eventually become obsolete when you upgrade your operating system. I am disgusted with how difficult it is to design and write a usable layout for myself anymore, and I spent over $4,000 having a programmer do it for me, and it still is not doing what older versions used to do with no problem. It is time for me to export my 20,000 comtacts into a new database that is more user friendly to program and addapt.

Reasons for Choosing Claris FileMaker

My wife did the very first PR Release of the product and back then, it was exactly what our talent agency needed to do contracts, invoicing, keep all our contacts together, take notes, write letters on a letter head, do label printing for clients, and more. Now, I rarely use it anymore. it is far to difficult to customize for my needs by myself.

Response from Claris

Replied September 2020

Thank you for your feedback and for being a long time FileMaker user. We are sorry to hear you're finding it harder to use FileMaker than in the ways you have in the past. We take pride in helping problem solvers like you address real world business challenges using our software. We are committed to helping you build skills and find success with the platform. As such, a member of our customer success team will continue to work with you directly.

Nicolas from Corona Print

Industry: Printing

FileMaker Pro is the easiest database manager for everyone

Very stable ! We use it now on our Windows server and several Win and Mac clients.

Pros

The easy and stable way to use it and improve it daily, as you want.

Cons

Only iOS mobile App (no Android). Restriction without big consequence for me.

Reasons for Choosing Claris FileMaker

First on the market with light knowledge and stable result : we use it since 1995 !

Paolo from UNEX

Filemaker Cloud: too little, too late, too messy

The experience started badly, with migration issues, and soon became a nightmare, when their reps stopped responding completely while we were trying to renew the software. The company was not accepting our form of payment, and we kept receiving automated mails threatening to curtail the service. Support on the phone told us to disregard these mails, and, lo and behold, the service was in fact terminated in spite of our months of trying to pay them. The day when we can migrate our databases somewhere else cannot come soon enough.

Pros

We inherited a critical database in Filemaker workstation format, we needed to move to a cloud-based solution, so Filemaker Cloud looked like the obvious choice.

Cons

In reality, our purported migration never worked well. Some features simply stopped working after Filemaker "upgraded" the cloud version. Support was completely unable to help. What it worse we found the cloud software laggy, and underperforming, slowing what was the usual workstation workflow.

Reasons for Choosing Claris FileMaker

Response from Claris

Replied February 2021

Hi Paolo, we appreciate your feedback on FileMaker Cloud. Our customers are extremely important to us. If you're open to discussing further, please reach out to our customer success team at customer_support@claris.com.

Tony from Speakeasy Digital Marketing - now Belo + Company

FileMaker: The Only Easy-To-Use Solution for SOHO

FileMaker currently runs my event business, and for 20 years ran my publishing business. I have FMP scripts that export structured data like white pages listings and vendor listings. These scripts have run, with little modification for decades—that says a lot.

Pros

FileMaker works right out of the box as a relational database that can run the back end of your business. Doctors, shopkeepers and consultants can all benefit from using FileMaker. It's powerful yet, simple to use.

Cons

Over the years, the licensing of FMP has progressively gotten worse. If I could find another solution, I would. Believe me, I have looked. I return to FMP because I can develop sophisticated solutions myself, or with the help of a seasoned developer.

allison from Allison Carr Consulting

The only database you will EVER need

We use Filemaker for all of our database and customer relation needs. It is extremely easy to set up and teach users how to navigate. Much different software integrate very easily with Filemaker. Filemaker is a dream to work with. If you can imagine it you can create it with a FileMaker layout. You can even use it to set up your website. Users can also access your databases via a web interface with no need for a license. Another great feature is the mobile apps which run very smoothly.

Pros

Ease of Use Features Stability Updates Integrations

Cons

Licensing prices . Fees to obtain newer and better versions.

Reasons for Choosing Claris FileMaker

Filemaker was more flexible, affordable, and easier to use.

Reasons for Switching to Claris FileMaker

advanced MD was very expensive and you had to pay them to make any customizations. Filemaker you can customize every part of it yourself.

Michael from Poulos Black P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

My Most Valuable Tool

Excellent customer support and a vast library of online k knowledge and solutions.

Pros

I have been using FileMaker since probably 1988. That would be 32 years. It is the most valuable tool in my office. I can easily create a database to manage specific information. I have databases I set up early on that I still use. I created a time and billing program when Macs still ran on system 9, and it has worked ever since with no modifications. I have been using FileMaker in court to win cases since the first Apple laptop computer. Kf you want command of your information, FileMaker is the tool to help you do it.

Cons

1. It does not work well with Adobe Acrobat. When I import pdf's I am unable to annotate them or even highlight passages. 2. FileMaker server requires ports used for web hosting. I had to set up my website host computer at a separate location. I am sure I could have found a workaround, but that is beyond my ability.

Ease of use.

Tamas Hunor from Abelcine

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

Awesome tool for our rentalhouse

I can't imagine an another tool that is so helpful for us. As a developer/user I can easily fix a lot of things on the fly while I am working. Not the best thing, but for small and annoying corrections it's ok. (Like layout fixes) There are a lot of tutorials and learning materials online. It helps us to save hours and hours every day.

Pros

Filemaker gives us a really easy to develop environment. You can start with a blank canvas, sketch up something, use it, and refine it. Even if it called low code, you can do a lot of advanced things.

Cons

I wish I can have more help from the support. Our company wants to step up and invenst into this platform. Maybe I should reach out the awesome community instead of our direct contact. We had troubles connecting different kind of databases to our current solution. You have to really know what are the limitation of the software.

Darrel from The Martial Arts Leader

FileMaker Rocks!

Pros

I had previously setup a student database in Microsoft Access and it was just way too difficult to understand for someone with very little programming experience. FileMaker was very easy to setup and was easy to import all my data from Access and setting things up was basically drag and drop things onto new layouts.

Cons

The help / manual included with the software leaves a lot to be desired, but the great thing about FileMaker is that the community both official and unofficial is extremely helpful plus lots of great resources on YouTube...many of the big developers for FileMaker offer FREE tutorials on YouTube for people who are complete beginners like I was

Reasons for Switching to Claris FileMaker

Microsoft Access was just too difficult to understand and FileMaker was VERY user friendly

Lucas from Johnson & Krol, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

FileMaker is a Great, Flexible Tool

Overall, me and my colleagues are happy with what Filemaker has provided us; a useful tool that we can low-code into whatever we need.

Pros

FileMaker is full of impactful features, including the ability to low code just about anything you need for your business. Integration into the current business process was as seamless as could be.

Alison from The Prairie School

Overall ease of use if familiar with WYSIWYG programming, otherwise can be difficult to manipulate.

We are able to build our IT assets database using this software. We are able to replicate our insurance claim form within it to pull information from our asset record and have another layout for the repairs. We are able to seamlessly find a record, make a new insurance repair record, click a button to email our insurance provider, print mailing and asset labels, and communicate back to the user with just three layouts including the labels. Our previous database, before being rebuilt was 53 layouts but was able to be streamlined to just the three using some slick little boxes that keep a record of repairs on a single device, and by using buttons. This makes filing insurance repair claims much quicker than filling out their excel and PDF forms by hand and also gives us a location to keep our own record.

Pros

I like the granularity of the software and the fact that it can be almost limitless in the possibilities. We use this software to keep our IT asset database, and when we lost the member of our team who managed our database to retirement, we found ourself in a quandary the first time it did not function as needed due to a change in our insurance company's requirements. I was able to figure out the software on my own and rebuild our database in simplified form within three weeks, and fully import all of our assets. Layouts are easily modifiable and integrate well into other applications, like mail. Scripts were easily definable through a little trial and error for this novice. Additionally, the fact that multiple people at our organization can be viewing a single record at once is quite helpful, even if only one can edit at a time, which is easily understandable. Overall, a solid product.

Cons

In terms of cons, Filemaker, while robust, is not very friendly for new users. It is easy to override data that is not locked, and when items are locked, they tend to not be able to function in scripts as well as unlocked data. Additionally, while the data in fields may be requisite for locking, with the chance of change being a rarity, it is not fragile enough to warrant it be locked and unlocked in layout every time. A protective middle-ground would be nice to be able to implement with the click of a button rather than having to write a script to go "Are you sure?". Additionally, my IT director of several years was unable to rebuild or modify our database without issue despite 16 years of IT experience and many more years than myself with FM. My background in WYSIWYG programs like Adobe GoLive prepared me for their natural, if sometimes clunky, nature. I wish the software was less clunky, and more user-friendly, because it would be great for general IT users.

James from Storganise Ltd

Simple database software, that can be used for so much more

Organisation, and minimising of repetitive tasks

Pros

Filemaker is extremely adaptable. It can be used by a small one-or-two computer setup, right up to a huge conglomerate. The software remains the same, and enables your business to grow without having to keep changing software. They are constantly updating the extra functionality; with the latest revision there is more possibility for engagement with other applications, enhanced security, and a re-designed interface for PC users. I have been using FMP for the last 10 years, first as a tool in my business, and latterly as a developer with many companies. It is as robust today as it was when I started, and keeps getting better.

Cons

Enabling the use of FIlemaker on a large-scale for a small company is very difficult. Let me explain... Company A provides security guards to Clubs, Shops, Companies, etc... They have a full-time workforce of 10 employees, and then 400 security personnel on their books as either casual or part-time employees. The 10 full-time employees utilise Filemaker Pro to book jobs for the part-time and casual employees, the software is also used for vetting potential new recruits, invoicing companies, and keeping a history of who has worked where, and any comments from either side about that. An extra function would be to allow the part-time and casual employees the ability to see part of the Filemaker database, so they could access their upcoming jobs and leave any comments. With iBeacons, a safety system could also be utilised to make sure they are on patrol at a certain time in a given location. With Filemaker's current structure, each casual worker would need their own license to make this extra functionality easily happen, which of course is prohibitively expensive. But if that is the only drawback I can think of, then they are doing just fine!

Jim from ESU 1

Filemaker has brought to light data service saving hours of data manipulation producing tears of joy

Keeping Data secure and yet available to our employees gives them a sense of in control. We use the data to produce a daily log of their activity and then use that data to bill our customers. It is so much better than trying to find the data from their individual reports and then creating the reports on a monthly basis. Now we simply hit a button and the reports are done. I love how as a developer we can see our users appreciate the software because it makes their jobs easier and gives them the sense that they can concentrate on other things rather than the record keeping. Our users are happier and excited about bringing the qualifiers of the data to light so they can justify their work. In an app that tracks trouble requests, a log is created to show all that the tech people do to facilitate repair issues. No longer are those in charge wondering what their subordinates are doing. They can just open the app and see what they've accomplished.

Pros

I love that if you can think it, Filemaker can produce it. Given the time to develop motion, you can get the software to repeat that motion over and over. That saves time and time is money. I love how it provides mental exercise while developing but also is intuitive when it comes to building a custom application that the whole business can take advantage. After an introduction to a new "app" built in Filemaker, it isn't long that all departments ask "what could it do for us?" And the answer is "what do you need". It is so versatile. Integration with things like email, Google, Office can lead to great productivity.

Cons

The think I like least is the capability in reports to do some word processing capabilities. But it's still a great Form library. But I wish it could insert a page break that would be understood while printing a report.

Filemaker Pro Developer for many years

Pros

Filemaker Pro allows you to prototype and built database production grade applications fast. The nicest thing about Filemaker Pro is that you built the database structure, scripts and layouts in the same application. Building lay outs is as easy as drag and drop and doesn't require extensive design skills or knowledge of secondary technologies such as HTML/CSS/JavaScript. Personally I think anyone who's willing to dedicated some time for training is able to become a Filemaker Developer. Another nice thing is that database applications can easily be integrated with mobile platforms. Filemaker applications can be hosted online (cloud), on premise on Filemaker Server and locally on the Filemaker client. The applications that I've build with Filemaker run for 10+ years already on a Filemaker Server multi site environment and is in use by 25+ people on a daily basis. Filemaker is regularly updated (major versions usually once a year) which introduces new features. These updates make Filemaker better each round, for instance the latest upgrade introduces sensory perception for IOS devices and a new administration console. Finally, the development and implementation costs of Filemaker Pro applications are very low compared to enterprise database solutions making it really attractive for SMB. The licensing is server and client based and there is also a subscription based license to be paid annually.

Cons

The pros of Filemaker Pro heavily outweigh its cons but here is a few: - Performance of applications is nowhere as good as that of enterprise solutions, especially when multiple clients from different sites connect to an on premise hosted server. - Filemaker has its own scripting engine, which is pretty good, but some functions/operations can be a bit difficult to implement due to its limitations which is easier in SQL.

Peter from Samsø Kommune

Fantastic prototyping and database system

At my old job at a translation company, I built an entire "company management system" from scratch over the course of 10 years. The database(s) handles everything from employees, customers, timesheets, project management, invoicing, subletting workstations (they also ran a small office hotel). A lot of functions were built into the databases to offload a lot of manual tasks to the scripts. Importing Trados project translation data the project management database, allowing the invoicing, translator payments and project data to be easily calculated. This was previously a manual process and calculation which took more than an hour to gather and process. I wrote a parser in Filemaker that parsed the Trados Project data file, which contained all the data anyway. Thus reducing several hours of (manual) labor per project to mere seconds. There were many of such special functions that was offloaded to Filemaker scripts. Also wrote an SMS/texting script (which used Envaya SMS on an android phone), allowing easy contact with the translators from within the Project Management database. Quick and easy communication with the translators without having to look up their phone numbers all the time.

Pros

The most powerful part of FileMaker is its scripting platform. It makes it easy to add many more functions to a database, while requiring a lot less experience with programming than e.g. coding in SQL. Simple IF/THEN/ELSE commands is a godsend, when you need to create a logic for database functions. While making logic statements is also possible in SQL, it is far from easy, and getting data from a field in SQL? You need a lot of commands; in Filemaker, you just select the relevant field or can even make a logic function that selects the correct field. I could write for hours about the fantastic scripting system...

Cons

Only dislike I have, is that I currently do not have the time to delve into some serious database-design and programming, but that is not actually a problem with the software, but stress-levels at work... So unfortunately I do not use Filemaker at my new job, but I remember it fondly from my old job. (and that is a con in my book, that I do not get to use FileMaker on a daily basis). It's not like we do not have tasks that could benefit from a Filemaker Database, but there are just a lot of other tasks that needs doing.

Useful but complicated

It's solving my inventory problem. I ended up using an off shoot of filemaker pro which was organized by a fellow artist for my inventory needs. This was exceedingly useful because she had already sat down and done all the complicated set up work and I'm reaping the rewards. This has allowed me to organize all the work I have physically in my apartment as well as the work that is consigned. It has helped me keep track of the production costs so that I know how to price the pieces for sale. It has helped me easily pull up the titles when sending out proposals. The list could go on and on. It's a vastly useful software if you can get over the initial hurdle of making the database a reflection of your personal needs.

Pros

I regularly use this software for inventory reasons, especially in relation to art. With that said, it allows you to build your own layout and database to adapt it to exactly what you want it to be. When fully adapted it works beautifully. Using it in the context of galleries or other spaces where it has been set up is a dream. It allows relatively easy searches in many categories, allowing you to create very specific, isolated keywords to find things later (such as their price, year created, subject matter, title, name of creator etc). It's very useful.

Cons

This software is not easy to set up. I did a trial run at my house, as an artist myself, to see if I could use filemaker for my own inventory needs. Once I had the software downloaded, I found it exceedingly complicated to begin to create the boxes/ qualifiers with which I wanted to be able to add data. I don't consider myself a novice with softwares. I think I'm fairly capable on a computer and even after watching a few YouTube tutorials I ended up giving up on the prospect of using this at home. It seems more relevant for businesses where there is someone well-versed in database softwares to adapt it to yoru specific needs.

Joel from OneStrand

The Best Database Software for Small to Medium Businesses, AND for Beginners Starting Out

We have done our timekeeping in FileMaker for over two decades. We developed numerous other business solutions that have had a significant impact on our ability to be profitable and become more efficient at everything we do as a company.

Pros

I tried learning databases with SQL and MS Access. It wasn't until I started using FileMaker that I really began understanding how databases work. Although FileMaker is VERY powerful, it caters to beginners in a way that no other software does. The ability to grasp how databases function, how to build them, how to maintain them, and how to develop a solution for yourself, or others, is unmatched. I learned databases with FileMaker and that has helped me understand how SQL works and how databases in general work. All this to say that the thing I like the most about FileMaker is how easy it was to learn along with how powerful it is to develop in. I can make something small for myself, or something huge for a client.

Cons

FileMaker's weakest spot has to do with user interface (layout) tools. Although there is a very good selection of controls available, it pales in comparison to what you can get with other software. Even a free version of Visual Studio will provide you with a lot more layout controls than FileMaker. Although this is FileMaker's biggest weakness, it also means that you aren't overwhelmed with options when designing layouts. That feeds into FileMaker's strengths of being easy to learn.

David from University of Alaska Foundation

Easy, powerful do it yourself solution

I have used FileMaker for 22 years and am continually impressed with its evolution. It has leap-frogged passed Access as a "home database" and now competes with top-level professional data solutions. FileMaker Go is a pleasure to use. I have built my own Contacts solution that is years ahead of anything in the iOS app store. I wish a customer portal could be built to make dealing with support issues easier. The single biggest request, an Android version, falls on deaf ears; likely because FileMaker is owned by Apple Inc.

Pros

The FileMaker platform (desktop, server, cloud, FileMaker Go mobile app) is lightyears in simplicity ahead of Microsoft Access - which I often hear as the "go-to do it yourself" solution. FileMaker is ridiculously simple to use, especially when using a built-in starter solution. FileMaker scales to almost enterprise levels of use. The scripting functionality make creation of custom apps (no longer called "solutions") a very quick affair. FileMaker works with Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, and the iOS FileMaker Go App. Pricing is very reasonable considering all it does.

Cons

Development of the platform usually runs slower than emerging technologies can be incorporated. There is no Android version of the mobile app. The web app is an acceptable solution for simple solutions, but usually not a good option for apps using complex scripting. Support can be challenging. There is no customer portal to manage keys and payment information.

Stefany from Manhattan Residential Group

Complex Relational Databases for Non-Complex Creators.

A simple way to throw a database together in minutes for a mailing list or tracking inventory. With the same ease of use, you can have a complex structure for a relational database. Filemaker has allowed me to create what I need myself. Without hiring or outsourcing, I was able to save a great deal of money.

Pros

I've been a user of Filemaker on and off since it's early days as a Claris product. The number one pro in my opinion is the ease in which you can start using Filemaker Databases. The templates out of the gate are well built, have a nice UI and give you the freedom to make them yours easily. Beginners can use the templates to get a taste for the Filemaker development structure while not having to climb a steep learning curve to get an app or database off the ground. Deployment is one click for simple web use and a few more clicks to deploy on a hosted solution like Amazon Web Services. For the expert user, complex systems can be made in a shorter amount of time and a GUI can be in place at the same time. Single developer and teams can all just in can create some thing truly functional and efficient. The ease of use allows you to really create what you wanted not what you are able to achieve due to a learning curve. Help is readily available in the forums and through their customer support. I have received database files as example of how to fix a problem I was having. They really go the extra mile to get you up and running fast. There is a vast library of plug-ins from third party vendors that close the gap on development time. Days if not weeks of time can be saved with one plug-in. They don't come cheap so be sure you need it. There is are also a multitude of free add-ons and plug-in to add functionality to your databases.

Cons

Licensing is a little steep for a small business or single user. The add-ons are also a bit pricey. When looking at the cost to develop, you really need to budget and make sure you only buy what you need.

Matthew from Our Sunday Visitor

Industry: Publishing

Excellent database platform. Easy to use and easy to develop for.

After switching to FileMaker Server from another horrible piece of software, we are now able to easily do the development of our databases ourselves. This makes it a very flexible system for us.

Pros

FileMaker is incredibly easy to work with, offers generally well documented online help docs, and has a huge and active community of developers you can learn from. We have used FileMaker Server to host about 20 different databases with great results. I don't think I can overstate it enough that it was very easy for us to learn the software. We migrated from an outdated and ill-supported database system where development was only officially supported by the company that made the software. Contrast that with FileMaker where you are expected to do the development yourself because it's so simple. Very glad we switched to FileMaker.

Cons

I suppose my least favorite thing about FileMaker Server is that upgrading to a new version requires you to uninstall the current version first. This means you have to take some steps to preserve your server-specific settings before the uninstall/upgrade process otherwise you'll be starting from scratch with your server settings. Some settings can be exported to a file, but for others you have to take screenshots to preserve the settings which is a slight pain. This doesn't affect the databases you've created, but would affect scripts that are scheduled to run from the server.

Julio from Automation USA, LLC

The best cross-platform rapid application development framework out there!

We have been developing custom B2B apps extensively on this platform for over 15 years and use it internally for our own business.

Pros

You can quickly and easily design powerful and sophisticated custom applications that run on Mac, Windows, iOS, and the Web. You develop once and deploy the same base code on all platforms, customizing your forms according to each platform's needs. Their iOS runtimes take great advantage of Apple technologies like: the buit-in GPS hardware and external iBeacons for location/geolocation based workflows  the built-in camera for snapping photos and reading 2-D Barcode (barcode scanning) multi-touch, for gesture-triggered actions and capturing on-screen signatures Their Server and Cloud products are among the easiest to deploy and maintain. Their proprietary WebDirect technology is the easiest and fastest way to deploy web-based applications for workgroups that I have ever seen. Their suite of built-in web-integration capabilities spans the gamut: PHP, cURL, REST APIs, XML, and WebDirect.

Cons

Lack of a built-in push notification mechanism, either thru their Servers or via the host OS. Also, their Cloud product could benefit from Load Balancing support.

Jeff from Lord & Murphy, Inc.

Powerful database system with easy to learn/use interface, but also powerful development back-end.

The feature I enjoy most is the capability to use the product cross platform. I have a Windows 10 PC running at my desk, I use an Apple MacBook Pro on the road, along with my iPad where ever, and FileMaker gives me the ability to use my database applications on all those platforms.

Pros

Import your Excel spreadsheet, place a few fields on a form, within minutes you have created a user interface as a starting point for what can become a very powerful business application. Using the database manager, you can create links between data tables quickly and visually. Cross platform capable! Run the application on a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, or use a web interface (requires the server product). Once you start using this product, and it becomes an integral part of your business operation, you can either teach yourself the advanced features, or hire a consultant to help you out as there is a very strong developer community. The development language is a easy to learn scripting language.

Cons

FileMaker still struggles to gain acceptance in IT departments, and yet it is a legitimate application development environment with very powerful capabilities.

Duane from Dray Design Studio

I have used the product as both a user/administrator, and as developer.

Pros

The software is easy to use and relatively easy to learn from a developer's standpoint. It has all of the functional capability one needs to develop a useful database application, such as contact/client management or - in my case - management of an art gallery's permanent collection.

Cons

What do you do when you outgrow the system or want to migrate to a more robust database system? For me this is the major drawback of Filemaker Pro - there are no tools to help you export a complete file that can be imported into another database. You can import text fields and fields with yes/no on/off switches, but you cannot export images/photographs. This is a major drawback if you are planning to use the product for a couple of years before migrating to a standard relational database. Basically, Filemaker Pro files are proprietary files and are not accessible to standard relational database methods, such as SQL. This is okay if (a) you will not outgrow the product or (b) you have no images/photographs included in the database.

Phillip from Phil Adams Insurance

I have been a Filemaker Pro user for years

I was able to overcome old paper inventory systems by integrating an invoicing and CRM system together.

Pros

I like the fact that I can create almost anything with this platform. from Inventory Management to client Management, Lead Systems, Invoicing and Product Categories. I once automated a product catalog with this software for thousands of products.

Cons

Sometimes the scripting between modules was difficult to figure out, but I was able to find help with thie support and forums.

Reasons for Switching to Claris FileMaker

Ease of use for invoicing

Wendy from Bierlein Companies, Inc.

First data base I ever used!

This database has been used at both my jobs over the last 20 years....so it must tried and true to be used for so long.

Pros

I was brought into a job where I had to learn this program on my own. With the "help" tab and a little ingenuity I was able to pick up on the concept right away. I was able to build my own forms from the already set up data base. As years went on we had to change the forms and the information we collected and it was a cinch to figure out without the use of the "help" tab. When I moved into a new job I was able to test my knowledge of FileMaker pro in an updated version. As I had the basics down I was able to figure out how to use it for calculations as well as counts and general use of the database. I had to pretty much put together a balance sheet using a data base. It was interesting and fun to figure out.

Cons

I don't really have anything I can remember that was irritating to me that I thought should be done differently.

Jenn from The Band Mom

Just-right database management software

I've been using FileMaker Pro as my database management software for over ten years. I'm dug in enough now with it that I don't expect to change, but I also don't want to.

Pros

I came in as a total novice, not a coder or any kind of database professional, and was able to build the forms and pages I needed to keep the info on my contacts organized and clear. It's a lightweight program that doesn't use much memory even for a database with thousands of pages, so it can move quickly and sort easily. I'm still discovering functionality years later that I didn't know existed, but happy with what I have already figured out.

Cons

I found it annoying that when I recently got a new computer and had to get a new copy of Filemaker, it couldn't read my .fp7 file, so it had to update the file, which then makes it unreadable on the old software on my old computer. Why couldn't they have just made one universal Filemaker file extension type? But that's a minor complaint.

Gary from Humanus

Build your own... everything!

We use FileMaker for everything. We recently installed an SMS system (as an API tagged to SendHub). We can now send messages, track messages, view threads, and analyze usage - all from within our CRM which was built entirely in-house in FileMaker.

Pros

FileMaker allows anyone to create anything. Ok , that's a bit of an exaggeration. The truth is, with a little work, you can build most every kind of database you would need - Payroll, CRM, Time Management, Mass Market Email, Inventory, etc. And what you can't build, you can find skilled developers to build for you. Plus there are add-ons galore, and FileMaker is compatible with any system that allows for an API interface.

Cons

There are only three things wrong with FileMaker. They are 1) the price, 2) the price, 3) the price. It's not that the price tag is not necessarily hefty, but the pricing structure makes entry difficult for a small business. Yet, FileMaker is IDEAL for small businesses in every other way!

Stephanie from The Event Group

It Works, but is it the best?

If you're looking for an all in one platform, this isn't my first choice. Honestly, it's probably not in the top five for me. If you're looking for a database management software for tracking customers, sending invoices and proposals, and software you can update as your company grows, this is great. You'll probably need something better in the long run, but it's a good start.

Pros

The ease of creating forms and spreadsheets for data tracking with this software was pretty great. We used this mainly in our event planning business and I didn't really have a complaint. You can tell the program what information you need and it will track it and input what ever you've indicated you need it to input. It definitely depends on user input and you have to take the time to ensure your databases are updated. If you do that, you won't have a problem.

Cons

The only real aspect I didn't like was that there was no workflow type tracking. As our business grew, this is something we desperately needed, but it was never marketed to us as such, so I can't really complain about this. If you're looking for an all in one platform, this wouldn't be my first choice.

Sacha from Paymentshield

Immediate development results from renowned multi-platform suite

Multi-platform deployment of a single code base, company-wide policy administration for internal and online-accounts - benefits are large system changes immediately testable within instantly-deployed self-contained environments for advanced automation and on-the-fly user interface updates. With a free trial, and a willingness to try a development system that focuses (though is not limited to) linear steps, you can experience truly productive results significantly faster than web-based systems, without compromising deployment options - a really flexible and hugely enjoyable development environment!

Pros

Instant compilation & execution of syntax-free code, visually-based object-linking / selection, immediate UI changes, plug-in and web-service extensibility, multi-platform deployment of single code-base solutions, from desktop to web and mobile.

Cons

Cost is the only consideration when recommending, though in comparison to other systems, it offers better value, just would benefit from a lower entry-level option for people to discover its power.

The BEST tool for Creative Problem Solvers

We have used it to build custom workflows that integrate a facility calendar, invoicing clients for rental of space, and taking payments. Each company is unique, which is why it was so helpful to be able to build our own solution to the issues we were running into.

Pros

The flexibility offered by FileMaker is incredible. The more that I learn about how it works, the more I'm convinced that there's nothing you can't build with FileMaker at the core. Also, there's nothing like the community surrounding this platform. FileMaker developers are the most helpful, sharing people I've ever met. You never have to be afraid to ask a question if you get stuck because someone else has run into that problem before and they will help you through the other end.

Cons

Depending on your use case, it might be too expensive. The buy-in can be high so you have to be willing to invest in making something critical to your operations.

Matthew from Our Sunday Visitor

Industry: Publishing

Flexible database app for simple to complex needs

Initially we just wanted to convert our old and outdated database system over to FileMaker, but once others in the company saw the flexibility and ease of use of FileMaker, it's use has greatly increased throughout my company. It's seen a lot of use replacing MS Excel-based "systems", where users have just slapped together a bunch of messy Excel files in a confusing way without any help from IT. These Excel "systems" are growing, causing problems, and then are being replaced by FileMaker databases with great success.

Pros

I like that FileMaker is simple to learn (and to keep learning), with tons of resources available online including their own forums. Between youtube videos and some paid Lynda.com courses I feel very confident I can develop quality database solutions for my company. It's great software and I actually enjoy working with it.

Cons

The recent pricing structure change for version 17 file has me concerned about the direction FileMaker might be taking. So we've held onto version 16 for now and will be waiting to upgrade. Other than concerns about pricing I don't have anything else bad to say about it.

Doug from Tasty Trucks

FIleMaker - Tasty - Great

I cannot learn this product fast enough. The ability for FileMaker to talk to anything else on the internet is just amazing. It has help our business grow quickly without the overhead and everyone just loves what it can do.

Pros

How easy it was to go mobile within minutes of deployment. Data that was traditionally tied to PC and servers was suddnely in the hands of our team out in the field. With no training we had mobile apps overnight.

Cons

The WIndows platform is a bit behind vs. the Mac. You can detect that support for WIndows is certainly there but always behind. It is slowly gaining ground though.

Speed of development. Cost. Flexibility

Reasons for Switching to Claris FileMaker

Mobility was the main reason but then it became the integration possibilities. We simply couldn't do what we do with FileMaker with MS Access and our other back office software.

Gary from Humanus

More than a database

I've used FileMaker to create everything from a personal time management system to an online volunteer registration database. If you can imagine it, you can build it.

Pros

The FileMaker platform combines robust database management with a slick interface for designing a pleasant end-user experience. With some little training, a developer can become quite competent at creating a complete solution. With more experience and training, there's little that CAN'T be done with the system.

Cons

I have to say it; the least favorable piece of the system is its pricing structure. It's pricey to use for anything but medium to large scale deployment. Small businesses might find the cost prohibitive, and developers working for small organizations might not be able to produce solutions that are cost effective for their clients. You get a lot of horsepower, but it comes at a price.

Casey from JRM Trust

Industry: Executive Office

Filemaker Pro Advanced

Overall, FileMaker has made our business run much more smoothly. We are converting all of our old paper records to electronic, and this software helps us keep track of everything.

Pros

We're using this software to create a database with 50+ years of grant history. FileMaker has totally changed the way we do business! I love that it is able to perform time saving tasks such as, creating personalized letters, emails and reports. I love that It easily stores and organizes all of our old records, giving us the paper free office we've been yearning for.

Cons

-We use FileMaker to issue random passwords and various types of access- it regularly bugs out and occasionally needs restarted in order for access changes to be reflected. -I dislike that it is not user friendly for most average people. (We have a IT company who is creating our database)

The best solution to do application.

Filemaker helps the developer to create applications more easily, in addition, for the client it is cheaper if the application is developed in less time. The Filemaker interface makes designing and organizing easier and we can create designs more quickly.

Pros

Easy do applications and understand the application. Easy interface to work. Share a database between different users. Strong security. Multiplatform, you can develop in Windows, Mac, Web and smartphone. Very customizable layouts, scripts and database.

Cons

Limited on some occasions. If your solution is very simple, is possible that Filemaker is not a platform for you.

Reasons for Choosing Claris FileMaker

Because of its ease of use and rapid learning, it helps not to spend so much time on some tasks that should be simple and create solutions that customers are happy with.

Shahid from Asset Technologies LLC

Industry: Industrial Automation

Lots of possibilities

Pros

Any type of process or data collection is possible. You will need to learn some basic programming for the scripting if you do it yourself or hire an professional. The layouts and scripts allow you to create any type of form or view for the user. We have dashboards for departments to only show what they need and it is very helpful. Windows and apple products both can be used on the same database, which is awesome.

Cons

There are some things that were available when we started using filemaker custom app, but now we have to revise scripts and layouts to utilize new features. Not something bad really, just tweaking of the app to make it even more powerful. The bad thing about being able to do much is the requests from staff for new additions.

FileMaker solved many problems with our production workflow

We solved workflow problems with our business. Now all stakeholders can view the status of any project, and be alerted of changes. Requests (job tickets) are easy to manage and assign to a lead. Searching for past projects is now a click away, versus our exceedingly large Excel sheets from the past.

Pros

I find the customization of FileMaker to be the key to its success. With some software development knowledge, I can set it up how I'd like it and maintain it for a low overall cost. In my company we specifically used a FileMaker development company to build out our custom system, which cut all the paper out of our workflow, and cut out unnecessary data re-entry. A huge time saver.

Cons

If you have no developing knowledge, you may be left to use an out of the box solution, which might not be exactly applicable to your situation. Also, it seems like it is difficult to do certain email things on Mac with Outlook. Things like click-through links back to the FileMaker system from an email notification.

Risa from Chainstore Maintenance

Industry: Facilities Services

Great way to stay organized and up to date

Great product. Keeps production high, everything extremely organized and easily accessible, and will handle all of your needs.

Pros

My favorite part about this software is the amount of things you can accomplish using it. I work for a facilities maintenance company and we track all of our emergency and normal schedule work orders, our contractors, and all of our customers as well. It stays organized, up to date, and we maintain a high production rate using it.

Cons

The only thing I dislike is the main interface can be a little intimidating when first learning it as there is a lot going on, and a lot of tabs and buttons that can easily change settings and usage. But, once you get to know it, it gets easier and easier and will be a great asset to your company.

Decent Program if you have a company to set it up for you

This is a good program if you have a company or person dedicated to setting it up, creating your applications, and forms. Filemaker support is very minimal and you have to look at hiring an outside vendor familiar with FileMaker to help with the set up and addition of new things. The price is excellent for this as is, but start adding in the support you need and the cost to add new things or make changes, it starts getting up there if you make a lot of changes. We are in the process of switching over to another product that does have a monthly fee, but 100% supported and no additional charge every time we need to add a new application.

Pros

Options to choose font, color, formatting (test only, currency, etc). Ease of use for existing forms

Cons

Making any changes to existing applications/forms and adding new ones. Almost have to have a computer programming degree

Mary Alice from Sounds Essential

So Good We Became Developers as Well as Users

Pros

FileMaker has been around forever, but it has made great strides in the last five years to become a modern, robust and versatile platform. It's our go-to platform for clients for whom off-the-shelf products aren't sufficient or don't warrant the cost and sweat equity required for some of the other platforms. From sales and workflow systems to contact and inventory management and everything in-between, we've yet to find a project for which FileMaker wasn't a viable platform option. In most cases, it's the ONLY option.

Cons

It can be intimidating for first-time users AND developers. The licensing and hardware requirements can also be prohibitive when pitching it to a client as the foundation for their project.

Nicolas from mrHouston

Filemaker as a low code platform

Is an excepcional platform to develop quickly small or medium projects, to test user cases or interfaces (GUI) , and overall, if you want to integrate different types of platforms on a single project.

Pros

Definitely, is very quick to implement. Every little or not so little change takes almost nothing comparing to others platforms.

Cons

Is not as robust as other platforms, is not transactional, queries are not as fast as on other platforms, script editor is not very handful, has a limit on the size of the DB.

Reasons for Choosing Claris FileMaker

Usually, the kind of project that matches with Filemaker cannot be done with other platforms unless you increase the budget.

Robert from Palm Beach Aircraft Propeller

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Drag and Drop Database programming

FileMaker has come a long way since we first started using it in version 3. Some 25 years or so. We are currently upgrading our servers and work stations to be able to take advantage latest version, 18.

Pros

FileMaker offers a drag and drop database programming tool. Data is stored in related tables and if the tables are planned properly, the access to all the data is easy.

Cons

I would like to see an easier way to access external data. FileMaker offers access to external data but not to all data. If it's SQL there doesn't seem to be a problem but to other ODBC access such as Microsoft Access (.accdb files) the access seems to be a bit more difficult.

Thomas from Woodland Foods

Industry: Food Production

Great Platform For The Right Use Cases

I use it daily for development tasks for a platform that my company runs on. We are always adding features as user requests come in, as well as modernizing legacy features to make use of better ways to accomplish given tasks that available with newer versions of the platform.

Pros

Feature set is quite large. Very easy import/export of data. Great tool for proof-of-concepts for large systems, or for small to mid-size applications.

Cons

Initial login interface is not very customizable. To truly make a custom login, you have to essentially "log in" with a dummy account, go to a specified layout, and then re-log in with the credentials supplied by the user. This opens up potential security holes. Using the native security virtually eliminates this gap, but leaves little to no customization of initial user experience. The FileMaker platform is still not easy to replicate asynchronously, and it does not scale all that well to multiple widespread locations without serious effort.

Sandra from The Shrewsbury

Software that has turned into ransomware.

You are offering an upgrade price so it shouldn't matter what version you are using, you should be able to upgrade if your software stops working because is no longer supported with the operating system you are currently using.

Pros

Cons

The software has suddenly turned into ransomware. Windows 10 is no longer supported by Filemaker, I now find myself in the position of being forced to buy completely new software in order to access my files. It wouldn't be so bad if I could upgrade but no apparently I can't upgrade from my version to Filemaker Pro 19.

Shannon from AgroFlite, LLC

Easy to learn

FileMaker is a great platform to build applications that you can't find anywhere else. You can make an application easily that is perfect for what you need. There are many videos and documents online to help you learn specific features and structures in order to make it perform the way you envisioned. If you know how to write formulas in Excel then you will pick up FileMaker pretty easily.

Pros

Very easy to learn as you go. Very forgiving while you learn. Very little limitations. Can work with ipads and iphones for the people out in the field as will as back office computers.

Cons

Time consuming. Does not work with Androids. Once you do one application then it turns into two then three and it never stops.

Angel Luis from GEROLUSA S.L

Industry: Program Development

A comfy tool to develop your ideas

We have developed a solution that generates dynamically medical informs with multiple data about the sick person on a record time through the development tools that filemaker provides to the developers and the way that de customer can test the improves.

Pros

- The easy way that you can plasmate a sketch of your idea. - The results that you obtain with a minimum of knowledge on aplications development - The way to develop apps that can works on a Mac or PC and iOS Platform

Cons

- The absence about more colours at the scripts interface. - Versions history. - More control finding and changing variable names or script steps for example.

Jack from Construction

A Dream for Entry-Level Developers

We were able to take a concept that was just barely not capable in MS Access and many other platforms and create it on Filemaker in less than 6 months, and have been slowing modifying it and adding to it as we go, all without the need for a skilled salaried position.

Pros

Their simple yet comprehensive set of no-code scripts steps that are available to use.

Cons

The licensing and hosting challenges. there are different ways to host and an annual license for a set amount of users is needed every year. The way your license is provided to you depends on how and where you buy the license from and how it is going to be hosted. Can be very daunting when doing it the first time.

Cindy from IdG

FileMaker - A great, user-friendly database

I have found FileMaker to be very user friendly. It bridges the needs between our customer viewed data and our manufacturing needs.

Pros

I have used FileMaker in a manufacturing setting for 20+ years. It is a great solution for bringing together different data into one solution. The fact that we can alter the views for different aspects of our business is phenominal! I have trained many people on this software, and it is very user firendly and easy to use.

Cons

For our applications, a better interface with art files - such as .ai or .eps files would be wonderful.

Michi from 4M

Custom Database Solution

In our business we use FileMaker not only for us, but, we help clients customize their solutions. We love being able to custom tailor a solution and design the layouts and user interface to fit our needs. Custom, custom, custom is all I have to say. We have used it for CRM, accounting and custom solutions that can also integrate nicely with the web.

Pros

I have been utilizing this software for almost 10 years now. The best part of FileMaker is the ability to customize your database to suit your needs. However, you do need knowledge on how databases work in order to customize. I love being able to design my own layouts, injecting my own design and workflow into the user interface.

Cons

Personally I don't see cons, however, for someone who is looking for an out of the box solution, you can find some starter solutions, but without development skills, you would need to hire a developer to help you customize a solution to suit your individual business needs.

Roxanne from Papercraft Central - Where the Learning begins ...

Filemaker Database

I use Filemaker for client lists and also for file references. Each file I allocate a number to it and enter it into Filemaker and at any given time, I can look up that file and see where it is at - it might be in my re-sub system, filed away or in my 'Action' trays - makes life a lot easier and quicker.

Pros

Filemaker is easy to set up your database and very easy to get reports on what data you want. You can set up a form style data entry platform and customise to your liking. I find this easier to use than using a spreadsheet style layout.

Cons

There isn't anything negative about this software that I have found.