Browse IntelliJ IDEA Reviews

Matthew from Advanced Integrated Systems

Powerful IDE worth the investment

A number of the other IDEs on the market are resource heavy and sluggish. IntelliJ also does a very good job with memory management on MacOS and doesn't need any fancy configuration to get up and running. Unit testing software, database plugins, memory monitors are all a part of this tool.

Pros

Jetbrains packs a lot of features into one IDE. If you are searching for a tool to do something very specific in Java - usually there is a plugin for it. I've grown up using netbeans and eclipse, but have always needed to rely on external tools to provide additional features. But intelliJ is very feature rich.

Cons

The cost is very heavy especially for a startup company. It works out if you are a large company or a teacher/student. The costs rule out a lot of people from using this tool over something free like eclipse/netbeans.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

The integrated toolset, the number of plugins, the support and the speed of intelliJ puts all other java IDEs to shame.

keepan from self

December 2021

World best IDE i ever seen

intellij is a very good idea with lot of development support and I Appreciate intellij Idea and can't see myself going to another Idea. i used eclipse then tried with intellij. after that i never used eclipse and always using intellij.

Pros

it supports to all main languages and support both svn and git with a great ui. easy to use and nice good interfaces and nice color scheme supports. lot of plugins available to do many things simply. compared with eclipse, this is a great idea with good performance. very good debug support. it support for multiple frameworks. grate support to maven. good support for code completion. and it provide suggestions.

Cons

indexing is bit boring. it takes some more time and we cannot do some operations while indexing ongoing. if we open many modules, seems a bit low performance

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

intellij has great development support with nice UI and good performance

Claudius from Claudius Iacob

I would not recommend IJ for AS3 / Flex / AIR Development

Extremely bad experience. It was so bad that I started to build my own AS3 / Flex / AIR build engine; it overcomes the above problems and I can use it in place of IntelliJ's build & pack functionality. It will be on GitHub soon, look for ciacob/SIRIUS

Pros

It was an IDE that *somehow* filled the gap for AS3 / Flex / AIR developers after Flash Builder left the stage. With Moonshine not mature enough and Flash Developer being a rather unfriendly bunch of batch scripts that one would have to edit for things to kind-of-work, IntelliJ IDEA (plus the Flash/Flex/AIR plug-ins) stepped in to provide a solution, any solution at all.

Cons

I want to make it crystal clear that I mainly use IJ for AS3 / Flex / AIR development. I do not know whether its subpar behavior is rooted in those dedicated plugins. I did use IJ for developing some Node.js applications, and experience was a little better. But this review is ONLY about using IJ for AS3 / Flex / AIR development. I very much dislike pretty everything, but the worst are: - the build process: IJ does not do any work to ease SWC dependencies management; in a world where there are tools that analyze your code for imports and class instantiations and automatically match them against projects and libraries in your workspace (I build myself such a tool, it's name is SIRIUS and will be soon out on GitHub), IJ still wants you to add by hand 25+ dependencies. - SDK handling: as any Flex/AIR developer knows, AIR SDKs have to be overlaid on FLEX SDKs and this alone is a source for countless problems; add on top that SDKs are often shipped in incomplete form (*.jar and *.swc files have to be salvaged from older SDKs) and you understand how being able to quickly patch / swap / tinker with an AIR/Flex SDK and test it's in working condition could save the day. IJ maintains some long-life caching of file listings in every SDK you throw at it; this makes it practically impossible to alter an existing SDK and have the changes reflected. The only workaround I have been able to find was to rename the SDK, add it as a new SDK, and remove the older one. - indexi CHAR LIMIT HIT.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Flash Builder reached and of life (and when it did, it was already unsupported for many years; shame Adobe for letting a product die that was rather promising in its early life).

Jose from Vimasistem

The best IDE

We work with a lot of languages, so IntelliJ is helpful because it adapts to the environment suggesting you some action buttons or the AI autocomplete (is really complete) that will increase your productivity

Pros

The IDE changes theire options to suggest actions based on the project that you are working, the autocomplete tool is really useful and precise, I think that is the best part. You can use it with A LOT of languages or frameworks. If you are a flutter developer you should try this.

Cons

I think the worst part is the price. If you're business is small or medium I think you wouldn't have the money to pay for it.

December 2021

Kevin from NewWave Telecom & Technologies, Inc.

Excellent IDE for Java Based Application Development

Pros

it's been for such a long time since I have been utilizing IntelliJ I can't recall every one of the issues I use to have with Eclipse that I don't have utilizing IntelliJ. All I know is my undertaking doesn't haphazardly break or isn't covered with mistakes and red checks wherever any longer! It's MUCH simpler to create with IntelliJ. There are many modules you can introduce and utilize that make it simple to grow, as well. It doesn't hold up all things considered! Simple to coordinate with GIT and exchanging branches. It doesn't slack and is extremely easy to understand. It's fast and simple to open Gradle or expert ventures and not need to stress over every one of the setups.

Cons

There's nothing I loathe about IntelliJ at this point... also it's been over 5+ years since I've been utilizing it.

Nhan from TymeGlobal

One of the best IDE on the market

I mostly use to develop enterprise microservice

Pros

Marketplace: IntelliJ IDEA has many plugins to enhance its feature set. It also has plugin to support different programming languages. Built-in support popular framework: IntelliJ IDEA integrates with popular Java frameworks very well. Spring, for example, it notifies me that I forget to add a bean declaration here and there. This feature saves me a lot of build time.

Cons

Since IntelliJ has many features, I find it a bit slow and resource-hungry when loading large projects. Startup times can take a while to load properly, so it can take me 2-3 minutes for having a quick look at the code.

Krishna Kant from Cocumbs

One of the finest and strongest IDE

IntelliJ IDEA has been very useful in my development career right from learning to building code. I believe it is the best to start with Java development and I highly recommend trying and using IntelliJ IDEA IDE.

Pros

The most attractive thing of IntelliJ IDE is its clean and powerful UI. It makes code development easy, readable and efficient. Some wonderful debugging tools make it one of the best.

Cons

With IntelliJ IDE there are some lags while developing huge code and it requires machines with higher configuration than average machines to run it smoothly. It is overall a nice IDE though.

Thenappan from Collabrium systems

IntelliJ > eclipse

Pros

The automatic code pop up features are better than eclipse along with other functionalities which will ease your development time for each task and maximise your output !

Cons

The first time users would find it little difficult to adjust with intelli j , initial adapt time is more than eclipse !

Jiawei from Mentor

The third best Java IDE in the world

Pros

Basic version is good for everybody. Free always good.

Cons

Worse than Code and VIM, however, no one could beat those two.

"There is a plugin for that."

I'm quite happy with it, while it is not the cheapest out there, it certainly worth the price.

Pros

It is great to have pretty much any language in a single IDE, it supports plenty of them PHP, Java, Kotlin, Android, Cordova, Go and so on. The autocompletion, and error checking is second to none.

Cons

Sometimes when it lost connection (access token) to github it randomly asks for the password again, without giving proper context.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Inline error checking was far superior and IDEA had more features.

Urvish from Tech Mahindra

Very Nice for Developers

Pros

Nice to support Android Development with IntelliJ IDEA. Easy to use.

Cons

Not anything yet, If I found I will head you.

Mirza from Computer Software

An amazing IDE, make my life so much easier!

I have been primarily using it for test automation, UI, and API and I can say that it's a really powerful tool, very helpful as it speeds up writing code. It's stable, reliable, well supported, and highly customizable. JetBrains makes excellent IDEs and IntelliJ is fine proof of that!

Pros

Code predictions and suggestions, a ton of customization options, a lot of plugins, and a supportive community.

Cons

The number of available options can be a bit intimidating for a first-time user, but it's not much of a con as after using it for a while you will come to appreciate its rich features.

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA

Better support for my langue of choice - if C# was my go-to language I'd prick MS Visual Studio most likely.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

After comparing IntelliJ with the other IDEs, I realized that it's the best choice for coding in Java.

Osher from Afferent Software

Best all round Java IDE

The overall experience has been great and I will carry on using it at work for our projects. It helps me a lot to get the job done with its rich feature set, great code linter and plugins available and shortcuts. It will definitely be my go to IDE for Java development.

Pros

I find it’s the best IDE all round that’s constantly updated with performance improvements and new features that help. I love that you can use a free version that’s extremely capable and buy the paid for version for some extra useful features and integration with other services and software like databases. Has a great marketplace for plugins and great interface and shortcuts to navigate and edit faster. It helps me code better with suggestions and navigate my code fast.

Cons

I personally found it hard to get used to the built in git client as opposed to using a separate one. I also found that it can be slow for start-up on large projects but that is expected when it analyses your code and has improved with updates.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Better feature set, more updates and better user interface. Easier to navigate the application and code.

Best IDE Ever!

It's best IDE for Java and Maven platform. Also, I've been using it for Spring Boot developments.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is one of the products of Jetbrains. Most powerful thing for IntelliJ, all IDE has same features and user experience with user interface. Maven repository usage is very powerful. Also, autocomplete and intellisense are great.

Cons

I was .NET developer and used Visual Studio more than 15 years. I really struggle to find some setting on IntelliJ menus.

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA

Jetbrains has several tools. So, for example, after you use PyCharm, you can get adapted easily to use Intellij for Java development. Maven package management is better than other alternative products.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

IntelliJ has enterprise support. Also, PyCharm also same features and same UX, UI. So, in the company, we use Python and Java. Jetbrains ecosystem is the best choise.

Robert from Black Friday Recordings LLc

Industry: Music

More Productivity For A Premium Price

In the end, the excellent workflow/UI and the focus on productivity far outweighs the cost and any minor quirks in tools. All things considered I believe it offers a significant value proposition as I've found myself (an only occasional programmer) to be much more productive with it than with competing products.

Pros

Overall, the focus on productivity and workflow is my favorite aspect of it. I've used other JetBrains products and generally love their tools and the general workflow/way they layout their user interface. Compared to some of the more "What You See is What You Get" alternatives or IDEs that take a bit more customization to feel "right", I can say that the immediacy and convenience of JetBrain's approach to the workflow is excellence.

Cons

As with other JetBrains products, for non-open-source projects you will be paying a premium price for their premium product. Also, there are a few edges that could be smoothed out in some of the View windows and the way they display errors. I think preferences regarding Tools, refactoring, and error reporting are slightly different for everyone but there were some things that took a little getting used to coming from Eclipse.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

I made the switch because Eclipse felt like it required too much work on my part to maintain and customize for my work. When I first demo'd IntelliJ IDEA I was immediately struck by how little friction there was when it came to getting up and running. I code occasional modules for the backend of a website, so I don't have the same "flow" as a programmer working in the IDE every single day. As such, I found that JetBrains' approach to keeping the workflow simple and productive helped ensure that my "coding days" didn't turn into "troubleshooting days" because of my choice of IDE (my code is another matter entirely!).

Robert from Windstream

IntelliJ Review

Great, I was sold on IntelliJ while watching a YouTube tutorial where someone was using it. I ended up buying access to the whole development suite. I use most of them, but, I don't write in every language, only a few.

Pros

I had used WebStorm prior to using IntelliJ, so, many of the perks are the same between those two products which also seems to pleasantly true about all of the JetBrains development products across the board. One major feature I like is the 'Terminal'; in most cases I deal with Linux bash, so I enjoy having a terminal window that opens in the project directory and uses bash instead of the WIndows CLI. Another feature I like is that you can connect directly to your databases and chose from a wide variety of DB types. This comes in handy with Java Persistence because IntelliJ informs you immediately if there are database changes that are not in sync with you domain objects, before you even try to run any code. The integration of common tools like Maven and ANT are seamless and there are so many built-in features that would need to be plug-ins if you were using Eclipse or NetBeans. Not to mention the plugins in IntelliJ are extremely easy to install, upgrade or disable if you are having problems.

Cons

The few things I would like IntelliJ to do are probably already available, but, I haven't figured out how to do it yet ;) But, I had had an issue with the validation of external Maven libraries, and, I do wish there was a way to clear the heap memory in the JRE. I was able to connect to our JIRA instance through IntelliJ, but, I cold not interact with the tasks the way I would like to, I'd like to track tickets in JIRA better from the IDE.

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA

Mainly because I had previously used JetBrains WebStorm and was in love with that IDE for developing websites.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Eclipse just became annoying, it just took 12 years for it to get to me.

Mint from ICS

Great IDE for JAVA Developers

Once you've gotten familiar with some of the more common IntelliJ IDEA keyboard shortcuts (Shift + Shift for finding/opening files, CMD+SHIFT+F for project searches), you will find yourself able to move across your codebase with little effort. I find the IDE just as stable if not more so than STS/Eclipse for Spring development.

Pros

I've been a JAVA developer for about 12 years now and have bumped between Netbeans, Eclipse, and now IntelliJ as my IDE of choice. By far, IntelliJ IDEA is the best IDE for JAVA developers. We currently maintain a Spring Boot app with many microservices, using IntelliJ and their great keyboard shortcuts, I'm able to find and maneuver across files and projects with ease. The Evaluator in the debugger has also saved me countless hours of debugging by allowing me to easily test various methods on variables captured during debugging. Also, the later releases have really embraced themes. I've found the "One DarK" theme combined with the "Dracula" text editor color scheme to hit the spot for me. It's quite an elegant IDE.

Cons

I've noticed the memory footprint of IntelliJ gets pretty high, but I have it managing all of my micro services and each java process is counted in there. I don't think IntelliJ necessarily uses more memory than other JAVA IDEs, but it's something you should be mindful of.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

I found that as an IDE, IntelliJ was a much more realized product that Netbeans or Eclipse. Both of those were/are fine and allow you to get the job done, but some of the features IntelliJ includes really place it over the top.

Sanskriti from F1soft International Pvt. Ltd

IntelliJ was a game changer at our desk.

We implemented intelliJ for java development at our desk. Its been almost 18 months since our team is working on Jetbrains intelliJ, and their support is outstanding. Jetbrains is innovating new things, and the UI progressively changes over time with much more improved features. Whenever we are having problem, we are able to reach out to IntelliJ support, and get our issue solved as fast and prompted.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is great for coding. IntelliJ is more than just an IDE, it gives the code completion as we type. If there's any error on the code, it gives the suggestion on what's wrong, and simply pressing 'alt+enter' we are able see the options to fix the error. Also, its easy to refactor code as we write it. With IntelliJ we are being able to implement interfaces, create methods and rename anything we code, extract variables, fields, methods and so on. Also, it supports quick fixes to our code and users are able to use basic, smart and hippie completion to minimize typing. IntelliJ has extensive support for integrating with version control systems, so the entire process of development such as testing & committing can be managed with ease using visualizations of repository. IntelliJ helps developers to stay in the flow, lets us focus on development, generates common codes and suggest sensible values, by which developers are able to debug and execute the code with ease. With its fully integrated environment, we don't need to switch from IDE to perform further development tasks, and it has been a great experience with IntelliJ environment, since we started using at our desk.

Cons

Really nothing of note as cons. The only things that concerns me is the pricing. The community edition of IntelliJ offers basic features, though we needs further features to integrate with Java Eclipse or Java Enterprise, which requires a premium plan and is bit costly.

Ryan from Tier4 Intelligence, LLC

IntelliJ products are perfect for the multi-language developer

Overall, IntelliJ IDEA has been a staple in my toolkit and without it, I'm not sure I'd have gotten as far in my career given how powerful it is. It really forces you to learn more about the code you write instead of having to familiarize yourself with IDE features (I came from Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 back in the day) and it forces you to write quality code so you can take advantage of the amazing features such as find/replace and the various refactoring tools (which vary by IDE, i.e. Resharper for the C languages, but there are some core features available in every IntelliJ IDE). Additionally, you save a ton of time using the aforementioned refactoring tools.

Pros

- Learn IntelliJ IDEA, and you're good for every other product. - So many options for almost every language, for example you have PhpStorm, WebStorm, CLion, and many more. - They're always improving their core features such as search and their terminal (which allows you to connect to any of PowerShell, Git Bash, or Command Prompt) - There's no shortage of themes. They've even somewhat recently introduced a beautiful material design theme that was pretty bad at first, but once they've implemented it in the core of the product instead of as a half-built overlay, it turned out absolutely stunning - Every IDE is consistent, making it very easy to navigate after learning the hotkeys (or if you're more of a mouse user, the context menus and top menu items). For example, CTRL+Shift+F will allow you to search the entire project or directory in any of IntelliJ's IDEs. - They offer a product manager visually similar to the older Adobe product manager (Adobe's recently was updated, great job on Adobe's part but that's unrelated) allowing you to install and update IntelliJ products very quickly and downloads/installations are blazing fast.

Cons

Honestly, IntelliJ products have really helped me through my professional career and I've built so much of my knowledge around their products, so I can't really call anything a con because not only have they built the fundamental infrastructure of my knowledge using IDEs, other IDEs copy them. They're widely recognized as the gold standard in (somewhat) open-source IDEs. I will say it being built with Java was a con, but Java has improved their performance and load times significantly in the last 10 years, making it nearly impossible to quickly identify something is made with Java if you didn't look at the files or know some subtleties to look for. Java used to be slow and that did, at one point, persist to IntelliJ IDEs, but now there's absolutely no bottleneck and it's just as fast as any native software without a VM.

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA

NetBeans was pretty bad and only had a couple cool features (their remote library support still sets them apart if you're working with C++ though, you're not going to find that anywhere else that I've seen) and Eclipse was far too slow and the UI was pretty bad.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Dreamweaver lacked features, the theme wasn't editable when I switched without having to play around with files that didn't seem like they should even be touched, and it was far more expensive than IntelliJ (back then you did have to get each product individually though, so while Dreamweaver did support a tad bit more languages it was still worth it to switch)

IntelliJ IDEA for Java Programer

Overall intellij IDEA is the best programming software to professional programers.It is the favorite one of to me.It also very helpful tool to amateur programers to professional programmers.It feel me like my programming partner while I programming .It so smart and intelligent there for Its knows my next step and adapt to my coding style quickly.

Pros

Software developing is my part time income methode.Most of the time I use java as my main programming language because its very efficient and one of the commonly using programming language in the market.There for i need a high level programming software or a IDE for java programming .Few days ago Netbeans is my daily driver.But seen after the functionality and smartness of Intellij IDEA I moved on to it.Mainly I like to programming several languages in same IDE or in same software .It very helpful to me to manage my working space rather than using several softwares for programming in several languages.Intellij IDEA simply supply me this functionality in my trial period of Intellij IDEA.The most interesting thing that I love this software is its smartness .When I am coding on Intellij IDEA it simply notify the errors which I made and simply giving some suggestions to slove it and most of the time those suggestions are the things which I want to do.It feel me like a my programming partner or sidekick.Its know what I am going to do next and support me to achieve it.It is a difference and fun experience of programming rather than using Netbeans .Some time its auto generate the code and set the position to next I need to code.It is so helpful to me and lot of time saving .I definitely buy this software.

Cons

Still I did not able to found any thing which disappointe me.But I like to have it more trial period because I not experience whole area of functionality of it.I like the interface of the software but I would like to be it much more user friendly because it will very helpful to amateur programmers.Also it must interdiuse it shortcuts and functions while it programming first.I think it must inbuilt the link of supportive software and parties like Boostrap,Jquery.It is much helpful when offline coding.

Dulvin from WSO2

Awesome IDE for your daily JAVA related development

I am very pleased with IntelliJ IDEA after moving from Eclipse. Which is also a great tool but I love how smooth IntelliJ IDEA runs on my MacBook Pro. This is one of the best experience I have with an IDE

Pros

I like how intelligently it suggests, and it's features which include awesome code completions, as well as intuitive way to integrate plugins for different tools. It also includes gigantic amount of shortcuts, when you're familiar with them makes your day to day life pretty easy. Attractive interface along with the debugging capabilities for JAVA makes this the go to tool for any developer. This also has version control included, which smoothens the process of a Software developer by a great deal

Cons

Some plugins take huge amount of memory, so if you're on a machine which does not have enough power, you might not get the fullest experience. Hence you're encouraged to use a powerful machine for this Extremely Helpful software to run properly

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

I felt the smooth experience and, the awesome support for Git, while being able to learn everything pretty easily wanting me to move to IntelliJ IDEA. I am glad that I made the move.

Arturo from Indra

Great software but too heavy on resources

Overal is a great tool, but for the price paid I would expect a bit more care on the resources consumption section, since not always you are able to use a machine with 64 GB of RAM and an I9 CPU.

Pros

Intellij is a really complete tool for java development; It offers great integrations to work with Maven, Hibernate and so on and the git integration for version controll is great. On the configuration side, it offers a really great amount of options, for example for the code formatter, code generation and other code-cosmetics stuff. Besides you can also create config for another great bunch of stuff such as a proxi configuration, Sonarqube integration and so on, but this is something more common among all java IDEs. The configuration of the environments for execution is really complete and is really useful in order to have different running option depending on your needs for the same project. It also allows to code Node.js projects and xhtml, without lacking any option. And in case of missing something, the integrated terminal is a really useful tool. Regarding the debugger, is really good, you can navigate directly from one class to another just by clicking on the variables and so on, which is very usefull to quickly set new breakpoints during the debug session. There are a lot of more capabilities that makes Intellij a great tool for java devs.

Cons

Well, the main cons are the high amount of resources needed for this software, which makes that sometimes the IDE itself stuck for several minutes while it finished processing something. Also I found out that when you have multiple breakpoints set in the code, it also consumes a lot of RAM even when you're not debugging. Besides this, the great amount of features of the software makes complicate to learn how to use it. Also at some point after close the program it fails on terminating the Java process, so you ended with a bunch of java executions on the background

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

I made the switch mainly because my new employer already had some Intellij licenses

The other half of any Java developer's brain

IDEA has been my go-to Java editor for school and work, and for good reason. Of all the Java IDEs out there, IDEA is the one that truly makes the 'integrated environment' part of 'IDE' a reality by giving you full control over your code -- rather than the other way around.

Pros

When IntelliJ markets IDEA as 'the intelligent Java IDE', they aren't exaggerating. It has the best autocomplete of any IDE I've ever used, beating out the likes of Visual Studio with suggestions that are exactly what I need 99% of the time. But by far my favourite part of IDEA's intelligence are its code suggestions, which will tell you if you've made weird or inefficient choices with your code. This can range from telling you about an if-else statement that will never be true, to identifying anti-patterns that would have cost you down the line. The latter continuously impresses me with how insightful and specific the advice can get. Even looking beyond the intelligent part, IDEA was made first and foremost with Java developers in mind and it shows. I can't tell you how much time the code generators have saved me from writing boilerplate, and code refactoring works like a dream. I can't picture Java development getting any better than this.

Cons

The most immediately frustrating thing about IntelliJ is its startup time. It's not abysmally slow, but in a world where editors like Visual Studio Code and Sublime Text exist with lightning-fast startup times, waiting for IDEA to boot up can be less-than-ideal. Many times, I've resorted to just opening up my Java files in Notepad for small edits because I couldn't be bothered to spend more time opening the IDEA than it would take to make the edit. The other thing that makes me reluctant to open IDEA from time-to-time is its resource intensity. I use a small laptop for most of my work, which is capable of running IDEA just fine... until I open up Firefox, Slack, and other programs I use on a daily basis. There have been more than a few times where I've had to close other windows or even IntelliJ itself because its resource usage was slowing my system down to a crawl.

Ravindu from EdhiryaIT Pvt Ltd

A thought on IntelliJ IDEA

I used this for more than 5 big projects in spring boot framework. I never had any issues. Easy configuring maven dependencies and can run or debug the application with a small simple configuration. Also support frondend frameworks without any issue.

Pros

Quickly adjusting the project along with indexing files. Can found huge no of plugins for this software. Great support from company. Perfect for JAVA as suggestions and highly supports for the java. Can easily run or debug the application. Highly support for GIT and for all new major frontend frameworks also. Light weighted compared to other java IDEs'.

Cons

A bit complicate for beginners to use the software. Slow indexing in large projects.

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA

very fast, easy to use, minimum configuration, recommended by alot of people.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

very fast, easy to use, minimum configuration compared to netbeans.

Jugraj from Paxcom India Pvt. Ltd.

Best IDE for Software Development

Pros

Intellij is one of the Best IDE available for Free. There is a long list of feature that make it a great tool for application development. It`s Editor user-friendly with a list of shortcuts to help developer move quickly between files and perform task without taking hand off the keyboard. It support Code Colouring that visually help a lot in writing efficient and effective code. But the most useful of all is the code completion. While working on a huge project mistakes are tend to be happen, like misspelled variable or function name etc. But with IDE that`s not the case. I not even need to type half of the name, simply by typing first 2-3 letters i can chose from the list for possibility. Another Heavily used feature is real-time code inspection. It help me correct more then half of the mistakes without going to execute and find. that saves my valuable time and effort. Built in VCS (git) is one of the easiest i have ever used. It allows me to visually differ two versions of same file and help me select which line of code from which version i want in my final file without removing the rest of the code which is very useful which testing patches and fix. With a vast library of plugins one can customise the IDE to there specific need. Support for dependencies resolving for a library and Different File format come handy.

Cons

In my experience this tool is a great and must have requirement for a software . But sometimes having a huge list of functionality can be the downside also. In certain cases like working on a large file features like code colour styling, code completion, code inspection slow down editor's functionality. I encounters big amount of ram usage in such cases and need to manually collaborate it by switching off some of its functionality. Another is that code of its premium features. For a freelancers it is very costly to purchase the license and in the end the left looking for the alternatives.

Diego from Freelancer

Industry: Information Services

Full-featured and indeed smart IDE. It just works and thus makes my programming easier.

It simply made my work easier. From small details like 'smartly' renaming files, to multi-line text selection all the way to performance, advanced settings and support for all kinds of features and plug-ins.

Pros

- What I like most are the shortcuts. Every other IDE also has shortcuts but IntelliJ (and Jetbrains generally) has done a great job with theirs. At least for men, they seem intuitive. - Offers many, many features but still manages to have a great performance. - Sounds trivial, but the settings are well structured and searchable! Almost everything is customizable and if not there is probably a plugin for want you want it to do. - I do a lot of web-programming so I appreciate small little features like native less, sass support, live reloading or even showing the color next to a color code in CSS stylesheets. Even though Intellij should be Java focused, this also applies for Javascript and its complex ecosystem (I used React, JSX, Angular, Elm). - Solid Versioning Support with git as well as svn, both within the console and the UI. - Great Maven support. Auto-save, great search function. Overall I could list all the features I like, many you can find in other IDEs as well. But when using IntelliJ, I just feel it gets out of the way and lets you work & if you don't know how to do something, there is usually a nice "intelligent" trick on how to do it, or it is not hard to find online. - The student/academic license is really appreciated.

Cons

- The product is constantly updated, which is a good thing but it is somewhat bothersome. Of course they have to ask the user,, but would be nice if it just updated without prompting, at least for smaller updates. -The integrated console its fine, but (at least on Windows) it sometimes lags and stops working. Not that often, but it happens. - Co-workers that used another IDE, usually complained of certain bugs within IntelliJ, for example, when compiling. I, however did not experience such bugs. - It is not cheap. - There are a ton of IDEs and (if I am not mistaken ) IntelliJ is the 'flagship' product which includes all features of e.g. PHPStorm or Webstorm. If you are doing Web-Programming for example, then IntelliJ would be a little bit of an overkill. That might be a problem if you barely use Java, and thus simply not use the many functions that IntelliJ has. - Resolving git conflichts was sometimes difficult. In some regards the UI, UX could do some finetuning.

Review for IntelliJ

I am using IlluminationCloud extension with IntelliJ to create Salesforce features using Salesforce DX.

Pros

It's a powerful one for development. It has all the extension to work on. Using this can develop, debug, deploy and test the product. Most of the tools are available to do the formatting, styling, copyright and pretty much everything that we need for development.

Cons

Slow because of grasp more memory. Sometimes it very hard to reset the initial configuration.

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA

Not an easy Interface to do the same. Lack of help.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Not an easy Interface to do the same. Lack of help.

“The best, agile code editor for JAVA developers”

IntelliJ IDEA is the best programming software for JAVA developers which I have completed 8+ projects using this software. I have been using this software for a long period of time and I am very happy about this software as this software develops all the time when new JAVA versions are arriving. I hope u all try this software and experience the incredible features of this software.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is an amazing software that I usually use to analyze codes as it owns a code analyzer especially to identify errors. This software is very helpful to beginners as it has good support for code making with good assistance. Hence it is very convenient and easy to use. Some of the features I interested most about this software are duplicate detection, astute code completion ability, possessed of an enormous number of shortcuts, supporting for multiple tools and frameworks, proper analyzing and quick fixing ability which helps me a lot to distinguish the mistakes I have done and its ability to support different application servers such as JBoss, WebLogic, Tomcat, etc. This IntelliJ IDEA software is assimilated with databases and servers also. This software has loads of plugins such as Sonar Lint which I use to analyze my codes when I am writing those. This software is accessible for a wide range of plugins, so it is very flexible for developers to use it. I love its dark theme which comes as default. I am very happy about its entertaining code editing facility and its awesome debugging facility. Usually, I work with Java, JSF, and JavaEE, so the amazing features in the software support me a lot to continue my projects and tasks. I hope u must try this agile IntelliJ IDEA software as a JAVA developer. IntelliJ IDEA software suits me a lot.

Cons

This software is a bit expensive, and sometimes it is lagging when I am running large projects in this software. It uses a large amount of memory for some plugins and intensive use of resources are the main downsides I have noticed. The learning curve is a bit lengthy and it is difficult for beginners and I hope it is better to notify the UI of this software as it is hard for beginners.

The best IDE there is!

The best IDE in my opinion to develop Java, Python, Scala and Android applications

Pros

IntelliJ is really intelligent. It supports Java and Python very well and it looks good doing it. Settings are arranged logically and cohesively (unlike Eclipse) and within a matter of few days, one will learn how to get around the IDE. Feature list is also pretty extensive. Built in FTP uploads of artifacts, column mode selection, multiple cursors for hyper edits and a pretty decent built in Git client. What's awesome is that it also includes Android Studio! The plugin ecosystem is also rich. There are plugins for almost everything. For e.g., there is a multi runner plugin that runs multiple build configurations at the click of a button. Scala plugin is pretty good!

Cons

- This can be a memory hog sometimes - A little buggy sometimes as well. For example, in version 12, I found out the hard way that the IDE was not passing in the maven surefire and failsafe properties to Junit. Spent a bit of time trying to understand why the tests were failing even though everything was in the right place Another example was in v11. The IDE deleted my codebase! There is still a thread running on this topic on their forums and apparently, the problem still exists (though I have never experienced it in the newer versions) - Sold on a subscription which is not that great. However, since this is the software I use to make money, I guess it's ok. Nevertheless, I feel the subscription is on the expensive side.

Shadi from Individual

Designed for addiction...

I started with the community edition then I found out during the trial period of the Ultimate edition, is that it has so many powerful utilities and not only with but with other high level programming languages like groovy, Kotlin, etc. Also, I impressed with the integration with other CI tools i.e. GitHub, Team City, Jira, Docker, etc. In a nut shell it it is a beautiful and power IDE that's why I decided to buy a license for only 10 Euros a month, it's worth it.

Pros

The way it was designed, made me addicted to the tool, and I love to use it on a daily basis. To be honest I found Java more appealing to interact with using IntelliJ community or Ultimate edition.

Cons

The only Cons I find is if you don't use it you do not know what you are missing out... Sometime other integrated plug-in appear to issue messages but this is a minor issue as IntelliJ IDE is controlling the behavior of these plug-ins.

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA

Because of the built in addiction with the IDEA. You can not not like the product. Just fell in love with it.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

It makes you appreciate IntelliJ IDEA more, and understand it's value. How the the Jet brains team doing a marvelous job for giving us such a wonderful product.

Wajahat from Synavos

Great IDE with alot of Plugins ready to be used that make your work easy

Pros

This is the Best IDE in my opinion. The best part in this is the easy to install plugins, these plugins make the work so easy and save alot of our developers time, in other ways also helps to meet the tight deadlines, its UI can be customized uniquely for your own unique style. It also supports many languages and file formats. I use this daily at my work and really love it. there is still alot for me to explore in it. every new feature that I explore makes my code smaller, better, stronger and reliable. Really recommend using it.

Cons

Sorry but I cant think of any thing that should be improved, I still have alot of things to explore. Seriously the maturity of this IDE is so high.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

which I first time tried IntelliJ Idea, its UI and that make code readability so much better got me right away. I instantly moved from Eclipse to IntelliJ idea. from then I have been amazed by its features and plugins.

Ahmed from Sumerge Software Solutions

The only Java IDE you should use, ever.

Pros

IntelliJ is the best Java IDE with all competitors very far behind. It has excellent UI, a very rich marketplace of JetBrains-developed and 3rd party plugins for pretty much any framework or programming language you may need, very good debugging and refactoring features, among other strong points that any developer needs from an IDE.

Cons

The only con to using the Enterprise version of IntelliJ is that it's rather pricey. It may be a little heavy on system resources sometimes as well, but both of these points shouldn't really matter to a professional developer since using IntelliJ usually boosts your productivity, and makes up for the money you spend.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Compared to NetBeans and Eclipse, IntelliJ is just on a whole new level. It is kind of unfair comparing IntelliJ which costs a few hundred dollars to open source/free IDEs like these two, but they are the main competition for IntelliJ nontheless.

Pavol from Itera

The best IDE you can get

I am a big advocate of all Intellij products, yet I am not on their payroll :). As a developer, using Intellij IDEA is the best investment you can do to improve your development experience.

Pros

I've been using Intellij IDEA for more than 8 years now and I can honestly say that it helped me to become a better developer. It has all the features you need and beyond. I especially like that I can code, debug, deploy and test everything within IDE, since there are many additional features that tie everything together (e.g. source code connected to database tools). It is better with each version.

Cons

Since it is a large software that is targeting many different platforms it can be sometimes buggy. I had some experience with crashes/freezing, but I can usually resolve them (e.g. by downgrading or waiting for update, which is usually pretty fast).

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

I was advised by my colleague to try Intellij IDEA and absolutely loved it.

Dmytro from BlueSnap

IntelliJ IDEA personal opinion

I am using IDEA from 2004 and I could say that it is best Java Development Environment ever invented. Their team improves software every time as new Java version is appearing, and every time somebody finds a new issue in IDE. They have very democratic policy of using IDEA ultimate version for free. If you're a student or educational person, or even a scientist - you can use full version of IDE for free. Also if you're buying it - during a year JetBrains team could give you a discount coupon, so next year will be much cheaper for you.

Pros

- Self explanatory menu - A lot of documentation in help section as well as helpful information on jetBrains forums and Jira - Easy to remember hot keys for managing files and classes creation and renaming - very smart code indexing so the IDE could do a very detailed precompiled analysys - IDEA is integrated with other language development tools like - any SQL client, JavaScript files code analysys, maven/gradle/ant scripting support - IDE is working on any known popular OS without any problems - Windows, Mac and all versions of linux are working nice

Cons

- Sometimes file index mechanism is not working correctly - in this case I should call "Validate and Restart" procedure for IDEA. It usually takes time even on fast computers. - Sometimes IDEA fails updating application dependency when common Maven script was updated, In this case I should manually check/uncheck option in settings menu to make IDEA refresh code and dependency changes automatically

Igor from Private Entrepreneur

The best IDE for Java Developers

I am very satisfied with this tool. If you are Java Developer but use another IDE, try this one, and you will fall in love with it.

Pros

1. It makes me productive in developing: - It supports many top frameworks - Additional features can be added via many plugins - It has a great debugging mechanism. 2. It has smth like artificial intelligence inside. It is truly intelligent: - It has a great possibility for automatic and advisable code refactoring - It advice how to improve my code - it provides a code autocomplete feature 3. It is very intuitive. Before I have read its documentation, I already use it with success. - It has many useful shortcuts for every hour of repeating operations. - It has a big quantity of hints 4. The version without Spring (Community Edition) is free and is enough for every starter. This allows you to feel this high-quality product. 5. It is provided free of charge for some categories of Java Developers, for people who studying Java on courses, etc. A little bit difficult to explain in some rows the full list of what I like the most. I feel it like my hands, even if I still do not use it at 100% power.

Cons

1. It accustoms me to use it. You become a big fan of this tool if try it for some time. 2. It consumes more memory than alternative IDEs. 3. The free version of IntelliJ IDEA does not support Spring.

Trent from University of Utah

The best Java IDE on the market

IntelliJ IDEA is the single best Java IDE on the market. I love the tab auto-completes and suggestions that can totally speed up and ease development. I mean, I could type out System.Out.Println() in just 8 keystrokes with S-tab-.-O-tab-.-P-tab. That's one example, but nearly 100% of the development experience is like that. The tab autocompletes with suggestions (so it won't let you tab .toString on an int, for example) is a lifesaver when it comes to development. Beyond that, IntelliJ will (almost) always automatically import whatever package you need instead of having to search for it yourself. Most of the time this will come up with the class name appearing read with a little message over it saying, "Import this package" and with a simple "Option-enter" (on a Mac, I'm not sure what the Windows shortcut is), the package will instantly be imported to the top of the file. Running code in the IDE is seamless and (generally) helpful error messages and a built-in debugger make the whole experience so much easier. I love IntelliJ IDEA and would definitely be willing to pay to use it on my own now that I'm not in school anymore.

Pros

- Super easy to use interface - Automatic generation of common methods like getters, setters, constructors, and toString() - Tab auto-completes and suggestions - Clear and understandable error messages (well, most of the time) - Free licenses for students - Both light and dark themes - (Mostly) automatic import of packages

Cons

- Cost if not a student/educator. There's a 30-day free trial and beyond that, the licenses are subscription-based. They're not super cheap (I think around $100 for a year) but it's not a terrible price for an amazing product, especially if you're going to be developing in Java a lot.

Vital for Javascript and Java

Pros

1. It can help find references in the dynamic crazyness of Javascript. It isn't perfect, but from what I have seen others using (Atom, sublimetext, eclipse, etc.) it is the best. It also has most JS stuff ready to go instead of fiddling around with installing all sorts of third party plugins. 2. It is easy to split tabs vertically or horizontally and move them around. 3. Search is pretty powerful. Can do regex within file, by file name, by words, by usage. 4. The debugger is great. You just set your breakpoints and can inspect visually in the debug panel or now it even shows the variable values right in the code for even faster checks. You can also evaluate sections of crazy expressions on the fly (please don't write crazy expressions that even you can't remember how it works months later :D).

Cons

1. Indexing. One of the larger projects we have can get into this indexing stage that takes minutes and you can't really do anything else. Usually this won't happen unless you are starting from scratch but it comes around maybe once a month for me. 2. Some may consider it bloated. It has a lot of features hidden in the preferences panel and various menus. 3. If you use react I think FB's editor will most likely be better. But for nodejs or normal JS I doubt it can compare. Disclosure I haven't used Nuclide much.

Mir Fida from Fiverr

Best feature rich programming IDE for Java and other coding language platfrom developers

I would recommend it to all java developers working on small to medium level projects. For startups and learners community edition may be a good choice and after successful, they can opt-in for Ultimate Edition for enterprise functionality. This IDE also supports the Android development environment but it is suggested to use Android Studio (also based on IntelliJ IDEA ) which easily provides all the required tools, plugins, Gradle, and manifest scripts for android applications.

Pros

First of all, it can be used for multiple languages and platforms especially the premium Ultimate Edition. Can be used for both Front End and Backend development projects. Database management tools are integrated into the system. Most favorite features of this IDE are better Auto Code Completion, powerful debugging tools, version control system similar to git, fast code searching, helpful shortcuts commands A ton of Plugin ecosystem provides helpful add-ons making it efficient and productive. The User Interface is very user-friendly and smooth which helps in settings and configurations.

Cons

It is heavy in resources because it contains various features sometimes loading takes time especially during building projects. Too many updates can be frustrating but it helps to make it bug-free for us. The Ultimate edition is a bit expensive. But a free trial is available.

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA

Because it is easier to use and has all the features and platform support that we required for our Java and Android projects. Various plugins in it provided us a productive and efficient environment to code in Java.

Great Software Development Tool

* I have been uısing the IntelliJ IDEA for more than 10 years and all I can say after my bad days with Eclipse, I can say that IntelliJ really makes you love of software development.

Pros

* It is easy and fast to make development with IntelliJ IDEA as a Java Developer * Its plugins are fast and easy to ease the development * Software development quality and efficiency is great and fast . If you have questions about IntelliJ, they help you as soon as possible. * It does not support only Java development.It also supports other language developments as well as Go, Phyton and other scripting languages as well.

Cons

* It is expensive. If the company does not pay for that software, I do not believe that I will afford to use that software

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

* It was too slow. * It freezes a lot * It is not suitable for software development

Hans from VservU GmbH

The one and only Tool

Even the Beta versions usually work flawlessly. The IDE is very stable and powerful. And supports more than I ever will need.

Pros

Support for all languages I currently need: ActionScript3, Javascript, Typescript, PHP, bash, Python One common UI, and as far as possible similar/same settings. And excellent features for a comfortable and fast editing/programming

Cons

The automatic preselection of words/lines is (for me) in most use cases not helpful but leads to errors. Sometimes a token is fully selected, sometimes it is not. Sometimes even a click between characters does not unselect. This often results in deleting a complete line when just a command should have been inserted. This is of course a very personal "feeling", but is an annoying thing.

Reasons for Choosing IntelliJ IDEA

Just a better overall feeling

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Good experience, great support, friends

PHIL from Lightfoot

Industry: Computer Hardware

Exceptional

I use it for all development, and though I could intergrate it with SQL (and have done) that is one area I havent fully moved over to, but for other languages its my goto IDE.

Pros

Without this, I dread to think what my workload and productivity would be like. Im sure I could find alternatives, but who knows. They have great customer server and helped me out when I first started with some extended trials whilst on probation at a job. I have been using it professionally for many years now, and even today I find new features it can do. To learn all the functionality of their tools is impressive and worth doing.

Cons

It takes a while to get used to, and I remember disliking transitioning to this from my previous software. It took a while, but once I started finding some of its functionality, I began to appreciate it more.

Nate from Revolt Clothing

I have been using IntelliJ as my main Java IDE for the past 2 years for a variety of projects.

The ability to explore enterprise-grade software and develop marketable skills.

Pros

The first thing you see when loading into IntelliJ you notice it is very visually appealing, I personally use the default dark theme with a few minor tweaks. It incorporates a window based system that allows you to have multiple files open as well as a multitude of tools included in the Ultimate Edition. When creating a project you are able to choose from a list of templates including all of the Spring Frameworks and many other enterprise frameworks. Within these template options, you can further customize which packages to include. Once you have started coding for a while you will notice the smart completion will become more and more attuned to the packages you often use. This has been most useful for me when I used the built-in documentation tool to add the package documents into the smart completion and can, therefore, use it to not only help code but also learn about how the functions work. While my projects don't usually reach the level of needing a lot of debugging the debugger is quite intuitive and it's easy to set breakpoints and check the value of a variable. One of the more unique benefits is its native inclusion of Kotlin which allows you to use both languages in the same project or even the same file and still have world-class completion and debugging.

Cons

My main gripe with IntelliJ is its ease of use. Its many features create a steep learning curve to be able to fully utilize its enterprise-targeted tools. Documentation exists for it but it is often as obscure as the feature its self. But once you are able to get a grasp you will find the tools are all well built and include the necessary customization which you dreaded at first but have come to love.

Probably the most complete IDE available.

The IntelliJ IDEA is by far the best IDE available in the market. It comes with a good amount of useful tools built in, is extensible through plugins and offers support for Docker, Database connections, xdebug and more. It's the official application adopted by the company I work for, with more than 600 developers creating large scale software. We've tried many other tools, but none compare to the software created by Jetbrains.

Pros

The main characteristic that comes to attention is how intelligently the IDE maps the code, making it easy to search and navigate classes, etc. It also offers a myriad of plugins that enhance the experience. Built-in support for Docker and xdebug is also a big plus. Even though there are a lot of good open-source IDEs available today, the superior suite of tools baked in this IDE makes it worth the investment.

Cons

Due to being written in Java and having so many tools and options, the IDE can be heavy to load and take a lot of resources. It's also not the easiest tool to understand at first, due to the sheer amount of customization. The update process could improve, new versions create a new folder and copy over the configuration, that leaves traces in the computer and if something fails (which rarely happens), configs can fail to import properly.

Yasiru from LOLC Technologies

The Perfect IDE for Java Developers

As an IDE which is not resource hungry and has good community support this helps a lot for developers and their workflows.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is feature packed IDE. One of the best features are how they automatically get all the dependencies needs for a project. And also the ability to configure the UI as preferred is really helpful because we look at the IDE for a long time period everyday. IDE is light weight and not resource hungry as their competitors. Support from GIT and other frameworks and stuff is really good.

Cons

Throughout the time I have used IntelliJ IDEA I didn't find any issuue that bothered me. It had everything I needed to get my work done perfectly.

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Support for third party frameworks were lacking. And to download and add dependencies was a hectic task in those previous products I used. And also they were resource hungry IDEs

Alwin from Alight Solutions

My Favorite IDE

IntelliJ is an excellent piece of software if you develop in Java (or really any language) and you spend a little time customizing it for your uses.

Pros

IntelliJ is a very very powerful IDE that I have used for Java development and as a text editor for other projects. I have always been a fan of the JetBrains development suite and I have been using them for more than 8 years now. The support for plugins and the various customization options push IntelliJ over the top compared to competitors.

Cons

This is not a big deal for me (hasn't stopped me from working) but IntelliJ is very memory intensive. It provides a great experience but I have felt my computer lock up sometimes as it is indexing and doing some background work.

Amazing tool for programming

Overall I have used IntelliJ IDEA to develop software in Java, to review big projects in Android and as well I have used it for iOS Projects - yes - there is Xcode and AppCode who are better fitted I know, but I used IntelliJ Idea because it just does somethings better like GIT workflow (merging, resolving conflicts...) and as well find/replace works really great. So sometimes I use it to compare things with clipboard functionality or to do merge/conflicts in git.

Pros

Best IDE ever so far. It's extremely precise, fast, performant and it index all the keywords so fast and great that it can suggest really fast for autocompletion text (especially useful when programming and trying to get to know an API that you don't remember all the functions name). The find and replace functionality is really neat and performant, giving you ability to look for specific text or regex formula to then replace in with whatever you like. I really liked as well the git integration, it gives you great capabilities to check your file under a git system, compare them, do merge and solve conflicts in a real nice way.

Cons

Maybe the UI could get revamped a bit to be more simplistic as it feels like full of feature right now, and it's great, but maybe sometime you just need the essentials.

Francisco Javier from Information Technology and Services

IDE not only for Java developers

Main benefits are the quick way to find classes and the integration with Tomcat. It has a big community behind that is growing and a lot of plugins are created to work with it. I use mainly for the backend code (Java) but it is very good also for Android. About coding in Javascript I prefer other IDEs.

Pros

I really liked the integration with Tomcast at time to run different projects. To allow having several projects running and opening sockets to read from different ports and being able to debug locally. Thanks to the good indexing of this IDE, it is very quick to find any class, method or file in the code. Including a nice way to navigate in the code. It is very useful to select texts and see their values without using drag & drop, or refactor pieces of code easily.

Cons

I didn't like the keyboard shortcuts that weren't enough for me. Something I noticed is that for some of the common shortcuts, in IntelliJ the redefined their own shortcuts making them different than in the general IDEs' solution. This is annoying to have to learn for each IDE a set of specific shortcuts. For example the way of commenting code which is different than for other IDEs that are sharing the same key configuration. The visual aspect can be improved.

Dabar from Ezmcom

Most productive IDE used so far

I have already successfully completed 10+ projects using IntelliJ idea. I will recommend everyone to at least try this.

Pros

1. If you are into competitive programming. This tool provides a great combination of shortcuts for auto-completion and template generation. 2. Fast development and easy debugging. A great tool to see in-memory variables/objects value at runtime. 3. The very good version control system, easy to manage can easily integrate with Github. 4. Auto-generation of unit test cases. Can be effectively used for TDD. 5. Consist of the various theme. I prefer the dark theme. Can also import theme externally. 6. Great support from the community. Variety of plugins available. 7. Free license for students and universities.

Cons

1. Configuration behind proxy sometimes creates pain. But can be configured easily to use under proxy. 2. Some shortcuts change when you switch between mac and ubuntu so it takes time for your fingers to adjust. 3. Bit higher price comparing to other ide's. 4. Because of autocompleting, sometimes you forget the method name which might create trouble in interviews ;)

Reasons for Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

No good GUI and support for various other technologies were not good.

Geoff from Konnektive CRM and Order Management System (OMS)

If you have to support devs, this is a great option.

This has become default software at my organization for devs. Everyone likes it, and people share tips and tricks to accomplish tasks. It helps to bootstrap juniors who are often overwhelmed by the complexity of out codebase and system. It is easy to train on, and is truly Integrated in the way an IDE should be. You can do end to end development with IntelliJ IDEA.

Pros

This is a 'kitchen sink' in all of the right ways. Instead of having to train my devs to use a set of tools (postman, mysqlworkbench, putty, a git client) I can just give them this. I runs on linux as well so there is none of the 'can't use it on my machine' problems I have had with other tools. Also, the licensing is generous. Code completion and navigation are superb. With the plugins it is highly configurable, and its out of the box defaults are great.

Cons

On older machines it is slow, and the configuration for remote hosts will go wrong for no apparent reason. I still haven't figured out if I always have to hit the 'Apply' button when I make a change, or if I have to hit ok. When using the OpenJDK, I see weird network problems sometimes where it seems like the JRE isn't releasing ssh connection. The interface is confusing, particularly some of the tiny icons.

Paula from North Olmsted High School

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

I use this compiler with my AP Computer Science students to give them a real-world experience.

Increased productivity is a primary benefit. Student productivity is high because of the excellent feedback provided by the compiler and it makes it very easy for me to do my assessment of their programs.

Pros

This is the best compiler I have ever used because it is feature rich and not too difficult for my AP Computer Science students to use. They are a little intimidated at the beginning of the school year, but acclimate to it very quickly. They love the debugging features and editing ease the product provides. One feature used often is the "reformat code" option. I wanted my students to work with a real professional compiler to see what the pros use and they love it. The user-based license allows them to use the product at home as well as at school. We also discovered that the Android Studio is also built on the IntelliJ platform and that made it really easy for them to adapt when we worked on Android apps this year. A final plus id the stability of the compiler. I have rarely seen it crash.

Cons

The program is slow to load due to the vast number of plugins. So, it's a trade-off for the flexibility. Since you can customize many plugins, I don't think I have any other cons to mention.