All Actionstep Reviews

Natalie

Reviewed December 2017

Our firm uses Actionstep's workflows to increase efficiency & deliver better value to our clients

We are able to increase efficiency & deliver better value to our clients because we have built automated tasks, checklists, templates, data collection, and deadlines at every step of the process. We know in advance which team member will complete the tasks, and we have peace of mind that nobody will miss anything. We can gather data about our files and make decisions based on real insight into our firm, rather than gut-based guesswork.

PROS

Actionstep allows you to build custom workflows that you can use to manage any aspect of your practice. We believe in workflows so much that we dedicated an entire podcast episode discussing our experience with another lawyer obsessed with workflows too. We have over 50 workflows that help us to structure processes within our tax-litigation files, as well as for administrative matters, such as asking for client testimonials. We give our team peace of mind that nobody will miss anything as we have built in automated tasks, templates, checklists, and deadlines at every step of the process. We can make sure that the most appropriate team member performs each task. The workflows are also a great resource to help train new team members because we created detailed descriptions of how to complete each task with links to our internal knowledge base to give team members additional support where needed. In addition to custom workflows, Actionstep also allows you to gather custom data so that we can make more informed decisions.

CONS

Actionstep is unique and sophisticated. However, Actionstep falls behind its competitors and is underdeveloped in some key areas, such as budgeting capabilities, template user experience, graphical displays, mobile applications, and reports. Prospective users should not underestimate the commitment and resources required to build workflows and implement Actionstep. Building workflows requires time, money and, most importantly, grit. Not everyone is ready to make this investment in the future of their firm. Although you can outsource the technology aspect of inputting the workflows to the system, you need people within your firm identifying the steps and tasks that you want to build into the system. We are a very process-driven law firm with a lean focus, so Actionstep is perfect for us, but if you aren't familiar with process mapping it can be a daunting task. When you get over the initial investment of mapping your processes, you will see first-hand how quickly Actionstep improves your firm's ability to grow and deliver better value to your clients. We hope that Actionstep will continue to develop its product to address its limitations and bugs. Actionstep has promised that it is working to address the concerns that our firm and other users raise in the LinkedIn user forum and UserVoice feedback. We hope that Actionstep continues to improve the product, and we look forward to more progress. If so, we expect to continue to use Actionstep for a very long time.

Dan

Reviewed August 2020

Workflows Good! But Search, Integration with other software, and Document Generation need work.

We are happy with the workflows. We like that we are able to access our client data from anywhere with internet. We are disappointed in our ability to utilize all the data we have stored because of the terrible document and data search functions, limited document generation abilities and difficulty importing or exporting data to other software we use for drafting and client contact.

PROS

Workflows, workflows, workflows. They help us keep our law office on track and help us keep deadlines and make sure we do not miss a step in complicated transactions. We like that Actionstep seems to be trying to improve the product.

CONS

Search is terrible! Searching for documents is useless. Searching for contacts by employer/place of work is impossible. These are basic things a law office needs to do, and this software is a hindrance to getting work done because of its awful search capabilities. Also, the fact that you can only see so many results on a page is maddening. Imagine that you want to search your contacts and get a list of contacts that live in a certain city. You want to select them all and send an email or something. NOPE! Search results are limited to 200, no matter how many contacts you have from that city, and you can only see 10 per page, and the results are not sortable; they come in random order. Also, there is no way to select them all and take any action like sednding them all an email within the program. Copy and paste of contact info is also impossible. I have many opportunities during a week to send one person the contact info for another person. Actionstep has no way for me to easily do this. There is no button to click, function to use or work-around for selecting a contact and getting that contact's info onto the clipboard for pasting into a document or email. You can bring up the contact and drag your mouse over various places on the contact form to copy the address, then do it again for the name, then do it again for the email address, then do it again for the phone number, then do it again for the fax number. But be careful not to *click on the(I ran out of space on this form)

Workflows

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

Needed an online solution (as opposed to a local server-based solution)

Hi Dan, Thank you for your feedback - great to hear that workflows are empowering your firm. I have passed on your feedback to our product team who will reach out directly if they need more detail. Should you have any other specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development. Thanks Matt

Damien

Reviewed September 2019

Catastrophic customer service and lack of common sense - too bad, it's a promising software

Given these problems, we are preparing our exit. It is an economic disaster for us (losses in implementation and losses on invoicing).

PROS

Powerful and easily editable workflow engine. Really. Mass billing features. Customizable fields. Extremely powerful templating.

CONS

Bugs in invoicing and accounting made me lose a lot of money. Despite corrections, some invoices do not appear at the customer level and we work in files with open balances. It's very stressful, too. Money flows are case centred, not customer centred. This is highly problematic (retainers go on a case and not on the client, so you have to open X tabs for X cases opened in this client to make sure you are not going to send an invoice to a client who has provisioned you...). User acceptance is difficult. It is complicated to require changes in workflows and field fills (this is not the responsibility of Actionstep, but don't think it will run by itself. You will need to coach your employees). Customer service is catastrophic. I screamed for help when the system started to double-deduct (!) the retainers. It took 4 months to get a solution. In the meantime, I have continued to lose a lot of money. I have doubts about their financial strength, since six months after I started using the software, I received a notice of license increase. When I asked for some help to switch to a cheaper license, I was told that it would not be possible to keep my data (!!!!).

Reason for choosing Actionstep

Workflow features and templating.

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

We wanted rock-solid invoicing and accounting features.

Hi Damien, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and I'm very sorry you haven't had a great experience. To address your feedback; we have expanded our support team and our support processes. We now have in-app chat direct to our team to help troubleshoot any issues that arise. Additionally - we have made numerous improvement to simplify our software. Thank you again for your response

Fiona

Actionstep Review December 2019

The overall efficiencies of the product are brilliant. Increasing productivity of fee earners and support staff.

PROS

That its online. That its simple (mostly) to use. That parts of it are customisable. The support.

CONS

The trust administration functionality isn't the best. Infinity was much better!!!

Reason for choosing Actionstep

Because we already had one licence and some of the staff had already used Actionstep

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

We needed to purchase a new server to continue on Infinity - so it mainly came down to cost. Infinity are not quick to change/implement improvements to their product. Their support isn't that great either. We wanted to be cloud based and Infinity was not an ideal option for us to do this.

Hi Fiona, Thank you for such a positive review, we are delighted you to hear it has helped increase your firms' productivity. Fantastic to hear you are customising Actionstep to fit your firm. If you if have any question please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com or use our in-app chat. Thanks

Kimberly

Reviewed December 2019

Best switch our office could have made

Everyone has gone above and beyond to make sure our team is thoroughly trained, and assures they are always a phone call away if ever we have questions. That kind of support is hard to find.

PROS

The ease of integration between Actionstep and Office software has been very useful. The two programs work seamlessly with each other.

CONS

The only con is the lack of an integration between Actionstep and Adobe software.

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

Time Matters crashed on a daily basis for us, leaving us vulnerable to losing our work.

Hi Kimberly Thank you for the positive comments. We are glad you are enjoying our Microsoft Office integration. In an upcoming release, we are expanding its features even further. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our support team (support@actionstep.com) Thanks

Reviewed August 2020

Great Productivity Tool but Additional/Improved Integrations Needed

PROS

The timekeeping functions, file notes, and overall organization into workflows are tremendous features. Once customized and part of daily practice, Actionstep makes task management much more efficient.

CONS

Gmail/G-Suite integrations are lacking. We are unable to automatically log emails that originate in Gmail. Emailing directly from Actionstep takes care of the record keeping, but we often lose the formatting of our email signatures despite best attempts to keep it true-to-form.

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

Primarily, to improve workflow management.

Hi, Wonderful to hear your firm is seeing tremendous results from Workflow within Actionstep. It's a common theme of from firms to see similar benefits once they dive into Workflow. If you do have specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development. Thanks

Replied August 2020

Felix

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Reviewed April 2022

You receive what you give

PROS

Almost all of our working processes have moved into Actionstep, with some changes and pruning along the way. Setting up the system takes a lot of thought and input, but you are rewarded for your efforts, as once your data is in place, it's very easy to manage and use. I particularly like the amount of customization that is possible - as well as the regular product updates, which add interesting features.

CONS

It can be difficult to use data for reports, where some data does not interact usually within the system. It's necessary on our end to use other software to review statistics and to report. Exporting the data in order to facilitate this is very easy, however.

Hi Felix, Thank you for such a positive review. Great to hear that your firm is seeing the benefits of Actionstep & utilising its customisation. Thanks, Matt

Katherine L.

Reviewed October 2018

Great product . . . gets better all the time.

We have been able to get our bills out more quickly. Information is so much easier to find in Action Step than in the program we used before. The search function is powerful.

PROS

The program is very configurable. What that means is that there is a higher learning curve than other cloud based programs, but I am willing to spend the time to learn if the product provides what I need. I searched specifically for a program that would allow me to handle my front office (client and case management) and back office (financial accounting) needs, and this does the job. The Enhanced Billing Module was vast improvement over the previous billing capability. The user interface is clean and the response rate is rapid. My bookkeeper loves it.

CONS

The reports list needs to be more user friendly, and there needs to be more standard accounting reports available. The CRM features are not very well suited to my practice. The creation of a "workflow" is very complicated.

Tony

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2017

The best all in one workflow management system around

This software has allowed me to simplify management of my business, keeping all of the information I need to operate in a single location. When I was employing staff it recorded all of their time against the relevant projects, reported taxes due, kept all client details, kept a record of all projects I had undertaken, allowed me to look back on projects to aid in costing of prospective projects.

PROS

That you are able to operate your whole business on the one platform. Everything from the initial client contact through to completion of services, incorporating a single place to track all project related emails, time tracking for employees, easy billing process, tracking of invoices, creditors, production of financial reports, outstanding billing reports and numerous other customisable options.

CONS

The only downside I can think are that it is a little expensive (but then I am only a sole trader now not working full time, so if I was working this business full time then I would probably feel differently on this factor) It is generally easy to use, but maybe not as intuitive as programmes like Xero or MYOB, but that said I feel this system does a hell of a lot more than they do.

Lydia

Law Practice, 1 employee

Reviewed April 2019

For the Serious Firms

I get one stop software in Actionstep. I generate documents; bill clients, record time; maintain trust ledgers; write checks. All if it is integrated. When I generate docs, I bill; when I disburse for a client, it goes on the bill automatically. In particular, the Enhanced Billing Mode is excellent! I keep track of other processes in my firm as well. I typically spend the whole day in Actionstep

PROS

It's thorough knowledge of the special rules that apply to law firms; the ability to modify your processes to reflect your specific jurisdiction and forms. I like the ability to see who did what, and when. There is a lot of accountability in this system.

CONS

Some of the accounting modules are (rightly and deliberately so) difficult to correct if an error is made in parts of the accounting system. The system forces a great deal of transparency. They just need to update all the accounting modules.

Reviewed July 2019

Great Features with Not So Great Service

Overall it's been a decent system. There is room for improvement, but ultimately it does give you a lot of customization for a better price than a lot of cloud based services out there.

PROS

You can customize it according to your needs, including custom reports and exports. It's easy to use on a daily basis and has an attractive platform that is well organized. It has it's own document storage, so you don't have to use two different programs/services to get it to work (such as box or another doc storage service) It does conflict checks and syncs with e-mail so you can assign e-mails as you send/receive them to the matter they are relevant to.

CONS

The customer support is terrible. Response time has been poor. When there is a response, it typically is, refer to the on-line manual. My spouse is an IT person, so I'm fairly computer program savvy. So I don't contact tech support unless I've gone through everything in the manual and tried everything I can think of first. When that is met with "look at the manual" it's beyond frustrating. Once we get past that, it usually doesn't take them long to get the issue resolved or walk me through what needs to be done to achieve the goal. Also, in order to use the macros letters/documents where information auto-populates from your case into the letter or document, you pretty much have to be a computer programmer to get that to work.

Jennifer, thanks for your feedback. [Updated Aug 2020] - Over the last year, we have focused on improving our support teams response rate & the quality of their responses. We now see upwards of 90% positive feedback after customers have dealt with our team and strive to improve that even further. We apologize you had a poor experience with our team. If there is anything we can do to help you get the most from Actionstep, please do not hesitate to contact our team.

Replied August 2020

Susan

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed December 2019

Too expensive, too much work involved

I spent a long time deciding on Actionstep, and in that time the monthly price doubled. Apparently because it was an immediate start process and I could do everything myself. $139/month and once signed up it turned out that without putting my business on hold and spending one month setting it all up myself i was left in the same position as previously - paying an Actionstep provider to do it for me, with my input to tell them what to do. Plus the higher monthly fee. I spoke to 3 provider companies and all were charging more than $5,000, and the day I stopped paying my AS subscription all that work would be lost. So getting off the ground is fairly prohibitive, unless you dont actually have any business and the time to do it. Within AS the email system didnt really ever work and involved a lot of double handling and diverting and didnt address any of the automated email issues we needed. The invoicing in AS does sync with Xero but you have to send invoices from Actionstep - so you need to build a new template, then you cant add a Stripe pay now credit card link for people to click on, (and theres no alternative product available in Aus) and you cant do a basic, include-and-show GST calculation on the invoice. Incredibly frustrating. Customer support they would get back to me within 24 hours, often to say no, or "thats coming in the next upgrade". I lasted 2 weeks and after about 5 days total work with minimal progress I decided Office 365 could do all the same and more.

PROS

The potential - it seemed like it was going to help me automate and streamline

CONS

The level of set up involved. The subscription basis meaning time put in not retained. The email functionality - non existant. The integration with Xero - very minimal and wont do the same standard of invoicing. The support in WA - customer support online not bad, although timewise for WA meant they were responding when I wasnt at work. When I requested local support they kept sending me to interstate firms. One very helpfully said he would fly over and solve all my problems - it would take three days plus travel from Qld - in the vicininty of $10,000

Hi Susan, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and I'm very sorry you haven't had a great experience. We take pride in our software but understand implementing any CMS like Actionstep does take some time and effort. We have thoroughly revised and expanded our onboarding processes for Express customers such as yourself - meaning a much more structured & documented implementation lessening the need for a small business to employ an implementation partner. Once again, we are sorry you didn't get the most out of Actionstep. If you have any questions or to see how we can work together, please do not hesitate to contact our team at support@actionstep.com

Tausha

Reviewed February 2020

Just Okay

PROS

This was my first practice management software. I liked the price and the ease of the setup. Since this was my first experience, I don't have anything to compare it to.

CONS

Sometimes the software has glitches and looses things like notes that you put on the scratch pad. If there are multiple windows open with the program, it doesn't always save the information that you enter on one page. Customer service is absolutely terrible. There aren't clear cut customer service hours and I can NEVER reach anyone by phone. If I'm lucky I will get a response via chat a few days later. I am looking to make a change.

Reason for choosing Actionstep

I wanted an all inclusive system that included the accounting function. Actionstep was one of the programs that offered that feature. Additionally the price was manageable; they have since gone up on their pricing.

Hi Tausha, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and I'm very sorry you haven't had a great experience. To address your feedback; we have expanded our customer service team and have prioritized chat responses. If you have any more feedback we would love to speak to you and see what we can do to help. Please contact our support team at support@actionstep.com Thank you again for your response

Replied July 2020

Charles

Used free trial

Reviewed March 2015

Welcome addition for UK law firms

We moved to ActionStep from a well-known cloud-based practice management system about a year ago. Although we are a small firm, the reality is that even small law firms have their share of admin and the need to demonstrate good procedures. We found that the other systems aimed at small law firms were certainly simple, but were too short on functionality. The biggest improvement for us was finally moving to a system which had a fully integrated accounts system. We also noticed big improvements when it came to extracting and reporting on data. ActionStep includes a very full set of features which would cater for much bigger organisations. This does mean that the initial set-up requires some thought and we'd recommend having a consultant guide you through the steps. It is possible to take things a step at a time, and the level of effort and complexity is proportionate the the benefits of the system. Our previous system was possible to use pretty much out-of-the-box, but we fairly quickly found that it didn't have the sophistication to do some fairly basic things. The workflow capabilities are a sound way to ensure that we adhere properly to procedures such as conflict searches, setting up new clients and new matters. By leading a user through the steps, there's no need to rely on the users having to remember to follow a policy document. Our office manual was over 100 pages long, but many of the requirements are now built into ActionStep. The trick is not to over-engineer this. You want a workflow which supports your work, not one which requires all the stars to line up before you can successfully start a new project. ActionStep is a new entrant to the UK market, with an HQ in New Zealand and operations in the US. There is now a local UK presence and we've also found that the NZ team are very adaptable to handling requests from the UK. Our consultant managed to be chirpy on the phone even when I knew we were calling in the very early hours of her morning. We've seen several significant new features rolled out during our use, so we're pleased with the ongoing investment in improvements. The latest time recording system has proved very popular in our office. There are a few features which the accounting system doesn't handle compared to our previous system (such as automatically posting VAT returns to HMRC) but the gaps have proved very minor compared to the gains from having the accounts system fully integrated with matter management.

Guy

Reviewed August 2022

Tried and tested

We have been using Actionstep for nearly 10 years, relatively trouble-free, and it has proved to be easy to use for new employees, and has met our needs.

PROS

Improved over time; Covers all requirements; Integrates well with MS Office

CONS

There is no way to download all emails in a matter, for example, to provide to a consultant for a taxation of costs, or when transferring a matter

Reason for choosing Actionstep

Cloud-based; comprehensive; quick and responsive user-experience

Thank you for sharing your experience with Actionstep. We're glad to hear that you've found it to be a reliable solution that has met your needs for nearly a decade. It's great to hear that the platform is intuitive and easy for new employees to use, and that it integrates well with MS Office. Regarding your feedback on downloading all emails at once, we understand the frustration that can come from not having this feature. We'll take your feedback into account as we continue to improve and update our platform. Thank you again for choosing Actionstep as your cloud-based solution. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to meet your needs in the years to come.

Replied March 2023

Krys

Law Practice, 51-200 employees

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Reviewed April 2022

Organization = Success

The information is organized in such a way as to keep everyone on task, organized and successful in the day to day operations of the firm. Actionstep Webinars are efficient, effective, insightful and when paired with customer support, outstanding. Overall the program and support adds to my ability to remain a step ahead in meeting client expectations. A program that does that is worth applauding.

PROS

Actionstep's fields and layout are intuitive, data is easy to enter, monitor and track.

CONS

additional tiers of user privileges would be nice

Hi Krys, Thank you for such a positive review. Great to hear that your firm is making the most of Actionstep & seeing the results! Also fantastic that our webinars are helpful to you and your team. I have passed on your feedback on additional tiers of user privileges to our product team. If you do have specific requests or other suggestions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development. Thanks, Matt

Krystal

Reviewed April 2019

Legal Asst opinion

Before ActionStep, our office was using DropBox as our inter-office storage, which was not very reliable for record keeping. We needed everything to be in ONE place and ActionStep has solved that issue. Our office has been using ActionStep for about 3 years now & I personally love it. It's easy to customize.

PROS

What I like most about the software is that everything is in one place - past & present records, notes, time tracking & billing, tasks, etc. I find the File Notes feature EXTREMELY useful because myself AND any of my co-workers can create a File Note for record keeping when we speak to the client or need to keep current notes on a project. ActionStep is also very easy to customize.

CONS

It is difficult for me to find something that I dislike about this software. The only opinion I can offer is what I hear from our office book keeper - she dislikes the billing feature because it is not compatible with her Quik Books.

AmyAnn