FreshBooks Reviews

(2,004)

2,004

(1,205)

1,205

• Pros

• "I LOVE that the software is user friendly and also looks really pretty and professional"

• "Easy to use and inexpensive. The price is great. "

• "Absolutely love the ease of use and constant improvements."

• Cons

• "I wish the price was a little more cost efficient, but still an excellent product to buy."

• "The interface is great but nothing much outstanding, doesn't have many extras, it would have been preferred if it have a few more options for advanced users to help with more detailed accounting."

• "Not fully free, learning curve at first was a bit steep but once it was learned it became very easy."

Browse FreshBooks Reviews

Randal from Montreal Technicians

Simple, yet powerful cloud based invoicing with project management

We still love Freshbooks for our day to day use. We use the totals and tax reports for our accountant who use another product to do the "real" accounting. We use this for billing and the clients love it.

Pros

When we were small, we would use Freshbooks exclusively for invoicing (recurring is a life saver) and project management for invoicing our time. We love the payment reminders (30, 60, 90 days)

Cons

Ticketing system was poor, so we use another program that will sync with Freshbooks.

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

We liked the simplicity and our outsourced partners were using it, so it was just easier all around.

Nazmul from Ghost Media

Best Project Management for Small Business

If you ask me for a rating, I would give 8 out of 10. With a huge amount of features like invoicing, Client Portal, Contact Management, Expense Tracking, Project Management make your business easy to manage. For people who are trying to start a new business, I would recommend the FreshBooks at first.

Pros

FreshBooks is very easy to use and has so many features that help you manage your business in a short time. They have excellent customer services. The most fascinating thing about FreshBooks is it has also mobile app and the UI design is so eye-catching. They create attractive invoices for clients. Another coolest feature of FreshBooks is "Proposal". This feature allows you to show the work and writing space and attach your customize pictures.

Cons

Although you can hardly find cons in FreshBooks. But sometimes something grabs notice. I think the least likable thing about FreshBooks is limiting users. Only one user can use FreshBooks. And the other one is the price. I think as a small business management tool, it is a little expensive than others.

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

I thought I have a small business, so I don't need to start with a big company. I just wanted a simple tool that fulfills my needs. And found them in FreshBook. Another thing I should mention that makes me choose FreshBooks over the QuickBooks is the referral system. Though I didn't refer anyone yet.

No Two-Factor Authentication - Very bad overall security

Freshbooks has been in business for years but does not have a basic Two-Factor Authentication feature to prevent hackers from gaining unauthorized access to customers' accounts. Not having this feature borders on negligence. This is a basic standard feature that other cloud accounting software XERO and Quickbooks have had for years. Not having two-factor authentication is alarmingly bad because tens of thousands of Freshbooks customers are trusting Freshbooks with a ton sensitive company data about their finances, customers, bank information, credit card processor information, and prospects etc into Freshbooks. If hackers get a password, they can easily access this valuable information because there is no two-factor authentication to stop them from getting in. Does Freshbooks take customer security seriously? Apparently not. I emailed them about this dangerous lack of basic security features and as of December 2019 Freshbooks says there is no plan to add two factor authentication in the future. Their answer as the same as it was when I wrote them in 2018 about this problem. Their answer was that they would pass this suggestion along to their programmers so they can give it future consideration.

Pros

Ease of use and straightforward, simple interface. Easy invoicing.

Cons

Freshbooks lacks all of these industry standard security features: No Two-Factor Authentication at login. No IP address blocking to prevent certain IP addresses from logging in my account. No log/audit showing when I last logged in and out of the account. No forced internet timeout/log out when the account has been left untouched for a while. This is standard on other online accounting software and is used by most banks as a security feature.

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

ease of use, simpler user interface. Freshbooks' marketing is better than most cloud accounting software companies and that is what I ultimately led me to use this product.

Response from FreshBooks

Replied December 2019

Hey there, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. I certainly understand where you're coming from regarding features like two-factor authentication. While my colleague that you spoke with recently is correct that this isn't a feature we currently offer, I have flagged your feedback for our Product Team to review directly. This is a team we have a FreshBooks who reviews and gathers customer feedback for issues and concerns like what you've raised. If there's any other feedback you wish to provide, please don't hesitate to reach our to our Support Team at 1-866-303-6061 Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm EST or support@freshbooks.com. ^DM

February 2015

Steve from DotCom Information Services

February 2015

Not for everyone, or even most...

I've been using Freshbooks for the last couple of years, and at first it was a breath of fresh air after getting away from Quickbooks (both online and desktop version prior to that). If you don't have a proficiency for accounting, systems like Freshbooks are great, so I enjoyed the simplicity of it. The problem is - it's just way too simple and there are some major gaps in functionality. Additionally, it's a stagnant system. Very little improvements or features were tweaked or added in the system during the entire time I used it which is pretty unusual for a web based service. Freshbooks shouldn't even call themselves accounting, because their forte really is in time tracking and invoicing. I now use Freeagent and wish I'd switched sooner. If you don't care about tracking profit margins on projects or really tracking expenses accurately at all, then Freshbooks might work for you.

Pros

Freshbooks gets plenty right. Tracking billable time against customers or customer projects is a breeze, and their invoicing and methods for collecting payments is really hard to beat. Plus, they integrate with so many other services, it makes it really easy to get addicted to. The things I love most - and the main reasons I'm glad that I left Quickbooks for Freshbooks is: Automated invoice reminders, which are totally flexible. This alone saved me a lot of time chasing down late payers. Your customers get a really nice interface for viewing all their invoices online - although I will say I think I only have one or two clients who ever even used the client portal for doing that. Most of them just go to their email to retrieve the links for invoices or statements, but it is still a really nice feature.

Cons

No connections to your banking / credit card accounts. You can do this with expenses to some extent, but it's just awful to work with, when compared to Quickbooks, Xero, FreeAgent - pretty much anyone else. In order to use Freshbooks, you have to have some other software or service for managing the accounting aspects of your business. This ended up being a bad thing for me. I like having it all connected, and there are plenty of great alternatives for that, and some even charge less than Freshbooks. My reasons for leaving Freshbooks? Freshbooks is downright awful at expenses... You can't record non-billable expenses against a customer or project. If you want to record the expense without billing the customer for it, you cannot assign it to the customer or project. No easy way around that without messing up your accounting records. And with expenses that you DO want to rebill the customer for, there's no easy, intuitive way to handle marking up those expenses for goods or services to make a profit on. In order to do that, you must first add the expenses to the customer invoice, and then modify each line item expense amount up to the amount you want the customer to pay. You cannot record bills as you receive them your vendors. Say for example, you get an invoice from a programmer who did work for you on 4 different projects in a given time period. Most vendors will just send you an itemized invoice with all the billable time across the various projects. Well, you can't record it that way in Freshbooks. Each line item on your bill must be entered into freshbooks one line item at a time, and you cannot correlate them easily to know that they are all part of one bill/invoice. Freshbooks also can't help you with managing when your bills are due. That's accounting, which Freshbooks doesn't do. Freshbooks solutions to their shortcomings with expenses is all handled with hacks and workarounds for how their system is currently built. They are not easy or intuitive and they also throw things off with your accounting reports.

Garrick from GAMESQ, PLC

Industry: Law Practice

A Game Changer

I found it to be incredible it does what I need it to do, better than anyone else.

Pros

I use this to bill clients, send invoices, and to track time. This tool is incredible for how I use it. It does everything better than I could dream or need it to perform.

Cons

I pay for everything else, I might find a need to use it one day, but for me: the software is perfect.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

This captured our time in such an amazing way and made it easy to give to clients.

Mogne Julio from Engie

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Usable apparatus limitless assets

Extraordinary "interface", it makes my work a lot simpler and significantly more powerful. It is actually an extraordinary item. It has a ton of value. It makes the assistance for the client more open, obviously I need to attempt a bit, however to utilize it, yet nothing better than the application I used to build up my business to create with me. Compromise with the bank works distantly, charging and different assets. As far as I might be concerned, it is an absolutely present day apparatus obviously that can generally improve.

Pros

The variety of highlights that makes it available by any utility on the off chance that you need to put forth a great deal of attempt, history of past deals.

Cons

I'm a major enthusiast of Freshbooks and I prescribe it to everybody. The Modern interface and utility highlights can be a disadvantage for clients who might not have yet built up their test levels.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

At the point when I began utilizing Freshbooks, I was searching for a reasonable and successful device at a moderate cost.

Beebek from Gramin Institute

Why FreshBooks?

Satisfactory overall experience with FreshBooks

Pros

FreshBooks is very suitable invoice management application for startup based companies. The software supports invoicing, and what I especially enjoyed was estimating, which is essential for individual customers to estimate and for projects.

Cons

Accounting functionalities are not so good in FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

I heard it has more accounting functionalities

Adam from Freelance

Invoicing made easy

I use it weekly to bill my clients and it only takes me mere minutes to type up my invoice and send to the client.

Pros

I have used Freshbooks for years now and only need it for a select number of clients. But it's interface and app are simple to use for billing. Ease of use is a big factor in using this software

Cons

The limits on the number of clients you can add on a free account. It used to be 5 but this changed to just one a few years ago. This forced me into purchasing a subscription with them.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

Very similar pieces of software. My personal preference is Freshbooks though

Kieran from Kieran Wallace Design

Great software

Overall great

Pros

It is simple and easy to use. It's not over-packed with features and the dashboard shows a great overview of how your business is doing.

Cons

I fit in a bit of a grey area when it comes to the software and sit right in between the two tiers. The next level is way more than I want to spend money-wise, and the one I'm on is too limited.

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

A client of mine invited me to use it on one of her projects so in a way I was forced to begin using it.

Shane from Banking

2021's top accounting website

Pros

first and for most you cant beat getting a 30 day free trial, plus freshbook offers partial payments unlike other websites.

Cons

basically if you dont use all of freshbooks features as intended.'which is pretty expensive'. ypu will be left with just a few choice features which are only benifical if you have a low client count.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

i just think freshbooks is more convenient and easy to use most of all. simple and easy beginners tutorial

Stergios from Self Employed

Industry: Farming

Easy payments

It has free and premium users for simple payments

Pros

It’s very easy for small companies payments are very simple

Cons

Very simple payments you can use the premium account for more simple

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

It’s simple and you can make payments for your company

Tường from Investor

This software is extremely easy to use.Beautiful user interface, easy to operate and very profession

We work very well with the team thanks to work sharing, document sharing is quick and easy.

Pros

Completely convenient and easy. I find that overall this is a great program I use to start designing for businesses automatically. Can be combined with other apps I am using. No more spending weeks billing and sending to customers. Freshbooks will create an invoice and send it out in seconds send suggestions, track my time, invoice clients and adjust my costs for financial reporting, all in one easy-to-use. Track and control account simply, no longer spend too much effort because of many types of account simply each day. Smart reporting system combined with easy and effective teamwork place.

Cons

FreshBooks is designed with auto-leveling and data checking to ensure all numbers are accurate and logical. But since our trades are so accurate, I don't have any negative points

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

My friend recommended it and I invited me to use it for my project And it's easier to use, I can create estimates and suggestions and keep track of my time.

Heather from Mackin Creative

Industry: Graphic Design

Easy no nonsense accounting platform

I had been using a widely regarded accounting competitor whose system was way more than I needed. FreshBooks allowed me to consolidate several platforms into one - saving me money and time.

Pros

FreshBooks allows me to create estimates & send proposals, track my time, invoice clients and reconcile my expenses for financial reporting all in one easy to use place. I was using 3 different platforms before to do all of this.

Cons

It would be nice to have slightly more robust accounting functionality but for the most part it does everything I need it to do. I’d like to be able to track time by quantity rather than just duration.

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

FB seemed the least complicated. I didn’t need my accounting product to be my virtual assistant, I needed it to make bookkeeping easy for me so I could run my business.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

I wanted something easier to use where I could also create estimates & proposals and track my time.

Ryan from Home Addvantage Painting & Maintenance

Barely passed high school math - and I'm now the bookkeeper

I love Freshbooks. We used Quickbooks up until I made the decision in January to say I was done stuggling with their program. We had tried the desk top and online versions and they both are so overwhelming with useless features that just get in the way of the simple bookkeeping and accounting needs that our particular business have. I have been asked by other women in business, if I can help them with accounting as they start their business, and my first suggestion is that they immediately drop QB and move over to Freshbooks. From our reports to filing quarterlies, reconciling and estimating - every thing about Freshbooks is better. I have told my husband I would literally become a volunteer spokesperson for Freshbooks due to how much more enjoyable they have made running the backside of our business. My ONLY regret is not doing this years ago. That's it. This product is life changing!

Pros

Pretty much everything. The dashboard, estimating, reports, client organization, etc etc. This product is outstanding.

Cons

The type A personality in me would love to be able to close out the books monthly, but I'll take the trade off if it means my books stay balanced - which they always do in Freshbooks. I also wish the mobile app was more of an interactive user app, vs being more of a quick snapshot of our business.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

Because Quickbooks sucks! I could never get the books balanced. There was a mistake made in 2016 by an accountant my husband had hired prior to me taking over, and she entered in an interest payment from our bank incorrectly. That started a domino effect that we have never been able to reverse. I can't say enought negative things about QB and enough postive things about Freshbooks. Quickbooks is like the Chicago Bulls prior to MJ and Freshbooks is the Bulls with MJ and Pip. They're just not in the same league.

Brad from Crazy Lemon

Accounting for dummies

Overall I cant fault the product and would definitely recommend it to any business owner. The only thing I wish was possible, is to pay in my local currency for budgeting purposes.

Pros

I started using Freshbooks when I was given the opportunity to start a company in the wedding industry. At the time I had no idea what I was doing when it came to bookkeeping but FreshBooks made it easy to manage. What I loved about the software was the journey I followed, from Quotation to final invoice. The ability to send the quote/invoice with a simple click streamlined my business process. I eventually had to hand over when I couldn't handle the load, and because of the intuitive software, it was an simple handover. When I needed a report, i didn't have to wait for it to come from my bookkeeper, I just jumped online and got what I needed quickly and easily. Oh the cherry on the cake was the app. I used to showcase at trade-shows so the app allowed me to draw up an invoice and email the client without leaving the booth, or needing my laptop.

Cons

The price point was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, especially in an economy where the $ is much stronger than my local currency. The fluxuating market made budgeting a nightmare, and when getting a start up off the ground, every cent counts. While I could work around that, the one thing I disliked was the fact that one could go back and edit invoices/quotes post creation. I have since learnt that this is a big no no, but at the time I was non the wiser. I unfortunately lost money due to this, as many cash sales invoices were edited, and the balance pocketed.

Andreas from Dezmocom Inc.

Freshbooks - Still one of the best billing systems around

Able to run and invoice quickly. Add the strong integration that it has with Freshdesk for ticketing and my time tracking - it has allowed me to better streamline my operations.

Pros

Tracking and customer portal that is fully labeled as your own... this is a feature most competitors do not have. Know when your customers have viewed your invoices and even printed them! Slick mobile app

Cons

Pricing has gone up vis a vis other comparable competitors. Ticketing is very basic. One issue that could have been done better is that this is more of a quoting system and not proposal based. So making fancier proposals you are best off using another platform.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

Portal for my customers to look at historical invoices.

Russell from Rapid Crews

Extraordinary item combined to the friendliest help in financial software

The most significant thing with this product is efficient. I adore everything about FreshBooks. It is a great application for specialists and little organizations. I have been utilizing it for as long as couple of years and rate it the best programming in the market. At whatever point I had issues, the help group helped me to determine them rapidly with successful arrangements.

Pros

Probably the main motivations we picked FreshBooks over other programming: *Incredibly smooth and simple to utilize interface *Ability to mark your own in hues just as include your logo *Each client can be doled out their own charging gateway login and you can have various customers under one organization however each have diverse username *Utilizes Braintree instalments (our essential vendor processor) FreshBooks is quick and dependable suite for accounting.FreshBooks is an honour winning money and bookkeeping programming and a standout amongst the best cloud answers for entrepreneurs. It is the present holder of Finances Online's Best Accounting Software Award for 2016 just as the Supreme Software Award for 2016, and has the most noteworthy consumer loyalty rates of all comparative applications in this classification. As you will discover in this survey, there is a not insignificant rundown of reasons why our specialists considered FreshBooks for these esteemed affirmations.

Cons

*Reporting could be improved *Needs better compromise as far as parities. You can do day by day monetary records, yet I would prefer to have it ascertain how my business is getting along dependent on capital in our present record, at that point factor in what we earned and our costs. *Not useful for organizations that have stock, need stock administration (this I wouldn't really rate as a con nonetheless, on the grounds that Freshbooks was constructed and intended for SERVICE style organizations - for that it works incredible) *Reporting can't be opened in the portable application, you have to get to it through the program *To my insight, you can't maintain different organizations out of one record. We as of now have two organizations and are choosing on the off chance that we are going to open up a different Freshbooks account or if there is another choice that is more qualified for the second business.

Chris from Imaginaut Designs

Industry: Graphic Design

Improvements need to keep coming ....

I've been a FreshBooks customer for YEARS and I do like them. I've ridden it out through all the changes and just dealt with how interfaces change and prices change. In the past few years there have been a lot more freelancer payment management systems that have come along. I've looked around, but I find myself staying with what is comfortable even though something else may be better. Fear of the unknown I guess, and not wanting to learn a new system while I'm busy working. I just think there could be some improvements made since the last major interface update. It was like a whole OS upgrade and then no new updates for the past few years -- other than pricing tier changes. There is no sense that FreshBooks is looking to improve and listen to their customers about what features they need or would like to see. Just my opinion and view. I could be very wrong. Thanks.

Pros

Over the years, FreshBooks has made efforts to improve its service and update the levels of programs. The latest change they made to the interface has improved some things but other parts have been left behind and I've personally not seen any updates or changes in the past few years. What I like MOST is what they started with years ago -- the ability to remind clients at the 30, 60, 90 day marks to pay their bills. However, the interface to set that feature up changed a few years ago with their major update and it's not as intuitive now.

Cons

I do NOT like the timer starting off before you even choose what project you are working on. This is a SIMPLE FIX. I asked about it years ago and was told that -- yah, basically you launch the timer and then click the pause button while you work out what project you are on -- then start the timer again. Not a good design. I do NOT like setting up a new project and having a ton of task all added to this new project that I have to deselect -- about 20 or so that I have to remove each time -- and then add in the correct task for that project. I do NOT like having to deal with setting default payment settings and reminders for each client I set-up. Can't that just be a universal default setting to turn on? I do NOT like having service tiers change and being told the level I was previously on is changing and this new level will cost more -- and that's what I have to accept now. I'm a independent contractor and I have few clients -- I don't need the next level. But ... whatever.

Erica from Hello Creative Solutions, LLC

Stellar customer service. Simple interface.

FreshBooks helps me do the essential tasks of invoices and expenses while also helping me get a big picture view of my business's financial health.

Pros

I started my freelance business nearly 3 years ago, and after initial struggles with Quickbooks (I even had a 2-hour training session with a Quickbooks instructor who just further confused me), I put off dealing with the financial side of my business for over a year (until my CPA was hounding me for tax stuff). Upon the recommendation of another freelancing friend, I decided to give FreshBooks a try. I finally got FreshBooks up and running, and I was amazed at how much it relieved my stress, rather than adding to it. The basic setup is simple and straight-forward, but as my business has grown, I've been impressed with little tricks built into FreshBooks that helps me save time and get a better overall view of my business. Also, I don't think I've ever experienced such consistently helpful and friendly customer service. Any time I call with a question, the person on the phone is empowered to help me out.

Cons

There are even more integrations and advancements that I think FreshBooks could offer to be even better. Here are a few examples: + I'd love to be able to do some kind of forecasting of income based either on draft invoices for project currently in the works, or estimates that have been accepted. + I wish I could set up estimates so clients could accept/reject specific line items so that I could send one estimate with different options, rather than multiple different estimates. + I wish I could apply discounts to specific line items in the invoices rather than the subtotal of the entire invoice so I could discount my services without discounting passed-along expenses I incur. I've shared such feedback and other minor requests with the FreshBooks team, and they've sounded receptive, so I hope updates/upgrades like these will one day be available.

Free accounting apps never worked for me. Finally bit the bullet and am in major LOVE w Freshbooks.

Pros

This might make me sound superficial but the first thing I loved about Freshbooks was the interface. The icons, the buttons, the way everything looks is so so appealing to me. And it made me want to use the trial version (I did this a little more than 1 year ago). Using it made me feel like I was getting my financial act together. Which it later did, btw. The time tracker is the best... time saver for me. It records time and then adds everything together in a way that nothing else really did. It seems so obvious but nothing I was using before helped track my hours this way. This is the thing that used to drive me round the bend when it came time to invoicing clients. I used to delay invoicing (aka "getting paid") because my own system was terrible..and I could not find a better way until finally deciding that maybe I needed to pay for something to help me. I like the notes section for the time entries. I like how flexible it is to shift recorded time entries around or update the text to better describe what work I actually did. I also love the support from Freshbooks. They're super responsive and extremely helpful. They do not waste my time with a lot of blather I've experienced in so many other customer service situations (like repeating back to me the question I just proferred). They include screenshots and precise language to answer my questions. Also: Expenses in FB. I now go out of my way to add in expenses as they come w/o avoiding them.

Cons

I recommended Freshbooks to a friend of mine who started using it right away. Then he had trouble with a really difficult client he'd billed using Freshbooks. This client (I subcontracted with the friend so am aware of what all happened) contested all of my friend's work and refused payment after paying the Freshbooks invoice. And Freshbooks allowed the chargeback to happen. I think other software does not allow this --- for example, my friend now uses Quickbooks as a result. I have also experienced some quirks when it came to adding new jobs to repeat clients. This is likely my own error but it's not something I've cared to reach out to the support team to question. I also have not downloaded a year's incoming and outgoing details to give to an accountant. So I don't know how well that all works. Again, my own thing, and not necessarily on them.

Randall from Ohio University

FreshBooks provides small businesses with some of the best invoicing and billing features available.

Billing and invoicing were made much easier using this software.

Pros

FreshBooks gives small businesses a well-designed and intuitive user interface that can easily be used for a variety of different functions, most notably billing, and invoicing. Users are given a wide array of attractive template designs to choose from when creating invoices, allowing for catchy, yet professional looking documents. FreshBooks also provides users with tools for team collaboration, estimates, and projects, all of which can be easily navigated and set up to increase your small businesses' ability to maximize communication, send automatic reminders, submit proposals, and secure jobs with relative ease. As an accounting package, FreshBooks also provides users with the ability to perform some fundamental bookkeeping and accounting functions, has some bank reconciliation functions, enables you to accept online credit card payments, and provides many of these features via their full-featured mobile application. Last but not least, FreshBooks provides excellent customer service from the start. A detailed and easily followed tutorial will help new users get started, while their well-trained staff is always ready to provide users with answers to any questions or issues they may encounter. FreshBooks is very proud of their customer service and their customer satisfaction rating, and it really shows when you speak with one of their representatives.

Cons

One limitation in FreshBooks as an accounting package is the fact that they utilize single-entry accounting. While this may not be an obvious flaw to a new small business owner, it will become apparent as more accounts are created, employees are hired, and payment options are implemented. Single-entry accounting is quick and simple, but it certainly leaves something to be desired. Over the years some application updates have diminished or completely removed some useful features, like service and customer records, and inventory tracking, all of which were very convenient and helpful features.

Richard from The Internet Czar

Great product paired to the friendliest support in financial software.

The biggest benefit we receive is how easy it is to send invoices and get paid online. Freshbooks makes this a lot easier than some of the other solutions we've tried over the years.

Pros

Freshbooks is a simple and straight-forward accounting solution. It's delivered with relatively small amount of standard accounting categories so you're not overwhelmed placing expenses into their proper buckets and adding new categories is quite easy. Our business doesn't have a ton of complex expenses - and if yours does, Freshbooks might not be a good fit. What we love about Freshbooks is how straight-forward their invoicing system has been. It's easy to create recurring invoicing and it integrates with popular credit card processors to facilitate easy online payments. Perhaps the attribute that has kept us with Freshbooks through the years is their customer service - it's amazing. Customer service has always been super friendly, easy to understand, and they always seen eager to help. This interest and willingness to be helpful goes a long way.

Cons

The only con we've experienced with Freshbooks is their limited subscription levels. We've exceed their standard top level package but we're not quite big enough to financially justify a custom/enterprise package. It seems Freshbooks is ideal for customers with a lot of recurring transactions - which, we have more individual transactions than recurring so this is part of our problem. Regardless, Freshbooks staff has always been quite helpful in offering up solutions to help us make the most of our subscription limits (500 active clients).

Gaurav from Path Infotech Ltd

FreshBooks is a reliable and fast accounting suite for complex financial management

A complete makeover FreshBooks developers understand the struggle of small teams to handle complex accounting projects and deliver efficient results. Just as easy as you know it to be Back in the days, a team of developers decided to design an easy, intuitive, and non-accountant friendly finance management app, and promised their users that this approach will never change. Mobile-friendly and accessible FreshBooks is considerably good at following trends, and the best proof of it are the mobile platform add-ons for iOS and Android devices, allowing you to access data and do accounting regardless of your location. Saves billing time like no other app FreshBooks redesigned its time tracking for billing purposes by allowing companies to accept payment online, and to do so via various payment gateways. Excellent invoice to payment features FreshBooks offers top rate invoice to payment features that can be used by all small businesses. For instance, you can track exactly when your customer opened your invoice email. Tracking expenses with handy snaps This feature comes handy if you need to liquidate expenses after a client meeting: you simply click a picture of the receipt and attach the snap to an item in FreshBooks to log the expense. racking working times even better than before The new version of the app allows you to becertain of the accuracy of your charges, and lets you have proof if a client decides to dispute them. You can even use the iOS and Android apps to track your working time in the field. Plus, it is easy to convert your work timesheet into an invoice and send it to clients for payments. A bright future As good as the new FreshBooks version may look now, it has only begun to develop. The company promises many advanced features in the near future, including bank accounts reconciliation, non-invoice income recording, and billing adjusted to enterprise-grade users. The innovative spirit is planned to spread on to reporting as well, and transform the scope of available integrations to help companies get paid for their efforts, time, and expertise. At the same time, FreshBooks Classic (as the old version is currently known) will remain active, but will constantly be absorbed within the new one's comprehensive productive suite.

Pros

businesses get to manage invoices and recurring subscriptions in less than no time, and collect online payments within the same system. In fact, FreshBooks enables Google Checkout, PayPal, and credit card payments, and integrates with a long list of business systems and applications that can streamline this process. With it, odds are good that you will unite financial control in a single system, and stop paying for the maintenance of complex software infrastructure. A considerable advantage of FreshBooks compared to other accounting apps is the availability of fully-functional mobile apps and add-ons you can get for Android and iOS devices. The apps allow you to bring the power and convenience of the software on location, and do accounting and access records whenever you wish to do so. As you can see, FreshBooks literally takes finances out of the office, but does so in a safe and seamless fashion.

Cons

Despite a wide range of excellent features users have pointed out a few minor things that can be improved in FreshBooks: its metrics, goal setting, and reporting features can be better. One user also found bugs in FreshBooks email click-throughs and automated expenses which did not function to his liking. Apart from these insignificant glitches, hoever, there is no doubt that FreshBooks is a top notch accounting product that can bring a lot to your accounting deparatament.

November 2015

Alexandra from ALL MAVEN

November 2015

Freshbooks is the perfect solutions for service based businesses

We've used Freshbooks for quite sometime now in our business. When searching for billing software, I needed something smoothe, mobile and also that allowed for customer portals that could be branded to our company. This was a big deal for us, so we absolutely wanted to make sure it was a feature in whatever software it was and Freshbooks did just that. Freshbooks is super easy to use and handles everything from the customer accounts, to the invoicing to recurring charges and credits. At the end of the year, all the clients get a statement of their services they have paid for, and they never have to contact us about anything. They can review their bills at any time, and also accept estimates that are put together. It also is fabulous for integrations, and we currently use Google Apps, Gusto HQ and a few others to make it that much more effective.

Pros

Some of the biggest reasons we chose Freshbooks over other software: *Incredibly smooth and easy to use interface *Ability to brand your own in colors as well as add your logo *Each customer can be assigned their own billing portal login and you can have multiple clients under one company but each have different username *Utilizes Braintree payments (our primary merchant processor) *Integrates with Google Apps and Gusto HQ *Flat rate for up to 5 users, we currently use the Might Oak Plan *Team tracking and hour logging for projects (huge deal since we work with contractors and they also have a free contractor add on option) *Mobile App is killer - I pop off invoices like it's nobody's business :)

Cons

*Reporting could be improved *Needs better reconciliation in terms of balances. You can do daily balance sheets, but I would rather have it calculate how my business is doing based on capital in our current account, then factor in what we earned and our expenses. *Not good for businesses that have inventory, need inventory management (this I wouldn't necessarily rate as a con however, because Freshbooks was built and designed for SERVICE style businesses - for that it works great) *Reporting can't be opened in the mobile app, you need to access it via the browser *To my knowledge, you can't run multiple businesses out of one account. We currently have two businesses and are deciding if we are going to open up a separate Freshbooks account or if there is another option that's better suited for the second business.

SUBHOJIT from SELF EMPLOYED

Fresh Book Cloud Computing

Fresh Book is easy to use accounting software. It has smart features that take charge of all the accounting applications. It is comparatively cheaper to other software. The small entrepreneurs gets immense satisfaction from the use of FreshBooks despite few constraints.

Pros

It is one of the most popular world wide cloud computing application. It is helpful to small categories of entreprenuers. It has smart features of Accounting having comprehensive applications of Invoices, Expenses, Time Tracking, Mobile, Projects, Estimates, Payments and Reports. It set the business in Autopilot. It keep the client focussed and first by producing correct billing within the timeline.It gives stable cash flow along with the upcoming workload and income Any changes in the project is highlighted which may cause any impact on the business along with the new budget. Generate regular summary reports to keep the client first and updated. It is the one easy tool that keep tracks to invoices and expenses and reports without any fail.

Cons

The biggest drawbacks of Fresh Books are the term section of the invoice. It is not user-based. Any change in the terms of a particular invoice leads to change all the future invoices. The term amendment is client-based. Manual operation is always needed to keep the term of the invoice on track. When the number of clients increases, the user look for more add-in option which becomes costlier. The mobile App needs more updating as some of the features do not work well. The reporting of data is not adequate as it does not have hyperlinks. The application needs more options for the late fees which are not adequate. Need addition of projects to make it smoother for the clients.

Melissa from Melissa S Brown & Associates, LLC

Super easy to use; I would love a few additions

Compared with the prior bookkeeping system I used, I've saved a lot of time with FreshBooks, in training (as noted above) and in actual entries. I can generate CSV/Excel sheets that allow me to do some customized reporting. My clients like the easy online payment process for credit card.

Pros

A professional colleagues introduced me to FreshBooks about 4 years ago. Since then I've had four different part-time assistants (they leave for full-time work!) and each has mastered FBs in a few days, not weeks as was the case with a competing product that I used previously. It is very comprehensive and also customizable for tasks, clients, projects, and expense categories. It interfaces cleanly with a payment system, so that my clients who prefer to pay by credit card can do so with no hassles. I also like the APIs that pull expense info from my bank account transactions and business credit card charges.

Cons

I am based in the US, so there are a few things I would like to help complete our tax returns more easily: 1) a way to track the actual miles driven on the expense side. I do it now in a note but it is cumbersome. 2) a way to track expenses associated with a project but not billable to that project. I do it now by setting up two project titles, but I can only link those manually (actually, offline completely). An example would be some of my assistant's time that I can't bill the client for but that I would like to track so I can better estimate future project expenses, because it fits into "cost of goods sold" (when the "good" is our service).

Hana from Rivvly

Freshbooks is Worth the Money Spent, Could Use Some Improvements

Overall, I am satisfied with Freshbooks. It is helpful to have contractors track their time in an efficient way, as well as invoice and bill clients. There are also 3rd party platforms that integrate with Freshbooks to make workflows easier (Basecamp, Mailform, Hubspot).

Pros

Invoicing and billing is easy with Freshbooks. I like the recurring billing feature, automatic payments for clients, and the ability to track time against projects.

Cons

I have been using this platform for a long time and like it better than others, like Harvest. However, I dislike the following: -That when a project is archived by an administrator, contractors assigned to the projects can still access it and track time on it. Since the project does not come up on the administrator's end, this can go on for months without the administrator realizing. This causes inaccurate time tracking and has led us to go over hours on several projects -There is not a more simple way to merge contacts. Sometimes duplicates happen when Freshbooks integrates with another platform, like Hubspot. Also, sometimes more than one contact is saved for the same company. There is not a simple way to merge them without entering and deleting manually. -For recurring invoices, you have to select how many invoices are "remaining," which gets confusing. If you want to send 5 monthly invoices, does the first invoice count as a "remaining" invoice or should you select that you are sending 4 "remaining" invoices? There should be a way to just choose an end date

Jon from Verify Comply

A SaaS using Freshbooks API

Prior to integrating with Freshbooks (FB), we evaluated a handful other vendors to use for our billing/invoicing integration (bookkeeping wasn't a concern at the time) and found that the other guys simply didn't handle subscription billing, taxes, and/or automated billing like we needed. During the integration about a year ago, I was blown away with FB's customer service. How many companies these days have a human answering the phone within one or two rings? That's right - no auto attendant, no leaving voicemail necessary. These guys make customer service a priority, hands down - and it's some of the best I've ever seen. Here's an example: a few weeks ago when a DoS attack brought down DNS for much of the internet, FB was affected. I hadn't seen the news, so I called FB to report the problem. During this giant outage where I know they had to be receiving an enormous volume of calls, a live FB operator answered the phone within one or two rings and explained the DNS issue. Logistically I don't know how they pulled that off, but I was impressed. So nothing's perfect, right? Here's the bad - and the reason for only 4 starts on the features/functionality. While we weren't initially looking for a bookeeping package initially, we ended up using FB for this, too. While it's easy to use and does a great job overall, it is missing a key component - the ability to reconcile with the bank. So the task of generating balance sheets & account reconciliation has to occur outside of FB. If you're a big business, this would likely be a deal breaker. I've read there's an update in the works that adds this functionality, and I'm really looking forward to it - but as of the time this is written, it's not been made available to me. All in all, this is a great accounting package - super easy to set up & use, amazing API functionality, outstanding customer service, with one potential hiccup for some clients which hopefully will soon be resolved.

Pros

API, customer service, recurring billing & autopay functionality

Cons

No bank reconcilation

Freshbooks just keeps improving.

I've grown, Freshbooks has grown; we've grown together over the years. Really no complaints - and a support team that other companies should model themselves after!

Pros

Ease of use, especially since the redesign, integrations with PayPal, etc. does save some time, integrated time tracker (although I still primarily use Toggl), makes book keeping - dare I say - fun? (Ok, as fun as it can be!). Great support - I've had timely replies every day of the week and after hours. Impressive!

Cons

I've had some integration issue (transactions not coming in, duplicates, etc.) but Support has always been helpful. They've offered to manually import transactions for me on more than one occasion. I'm on a paid tier but I'd have to pay more for some of the features I wouldn't mind trying out. Not in love with the subscription model, especially when many of the new features require higher tiers. Doesn't really make sense to be hooked up to an eCommerce platform given their tier limitations.

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

FreshBooks quickly became the standard for freelancers, solopreneurs etc. Ease of use was its primary draw.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

I wanted to be able to bill for more than web hosting and didn't want my software tied to my host.

Mirko from UltraBarato

Who need an assistant using FreshBooks?

FreshBooks become an option later I test the 7 trail offer, all aspects on the software are very useful and really allow me to understand that my old control need a new view and use more powerful options to become more professional for my clients, FreshBooks give the tools and base to integrate that new professional look to my company, the best part of all, it’s that I don’t need to have more helping people to manage all this options, I can control everything on a single click and have a clear point of view of my company situation on real-time, that worth every penny invest on the subscription, and of course it’s more cheap that have an assistant.

Pros

FreshBooks it’s the best software to control all the billing aspects on any company, fully customization task, automatic invoices and easy to follow payments, also the reports become a dream to work with it, the pro and subscription options worth every penny, don’t forget that all your data is on the cloud so can be easy access from any place in the world, the mobile app become useful on travels.

Cons

Even if freshbooks allow us to register all our work and make a very professional invoice, the payment option not can be easy integrated, some banks accounts don’t accept JON export or have web integration options, also if the client made a payment using other methods, all the information need to be added by hand and take time. The app for mobile are very low on features, could be a great option to bring more features or more access to all that freshbooks allow, for views it’s ok, but for work, need a lot improvements.

Cheikh from Cheikh Beye

FreshBooks, the revolutionary accounting tool

FreshBooks allowed me to manage several platforms in one, saving me time and a lot of money.

Pros

FreshBooks is a very easy to use software especially for adding and removing third party applications. The advantage also is that you have the possibility to connect or disconnect other third party applications according to your choices. With FreshBooks, I can create quotes or send proposals and then follow them in real time. FreshBooks also allows me to invoice clients, manage accounting and financial reporting all at once, and from the same place where I used three different applications to do all this work. FreshBooks combined with other applications is a great tool. In any case, if you want to create invoices and send it in a split second and then track and monitor its progress, I recommend FreshBooks.

Cons

The downside of FreshBooks is that there is no possibility of merging contacts while duplicates are repeated when Freshbooks connects to another platform e.g. Hubspot.
 The trial time is also very short and the number of customer additions is limited.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

I prefer my invoices to automatically save

Rene from Fit Check Group

My honest opinion about FreshBooks

Using FreshBooks is quick and easy. I can walk out a customer's door, sit just about anywhere, access my FreshBooks and prepare a proposal/estimate or invoice right on the spot. Simple reminders keep me on the ball with overdue accounts, and each account can easily be set up to remind those customers who need a little nudge. Payments can be set in multiple ways and allows us to get paid much faster than waiting for the check "that's in the mail". Overall great product in my honest opinion.

Pros

This program is easy to set up, use and should you have any questions at all, the FreshBooks Rock Stars are always ready to get you back on track, fast! They have great how-to videos and send you good tips via email, making it easy to run your small/medium sized business, the way you want. There are way too many great features to list here, but with a free trial period to test it out, you can make an informed decision and see if this program is right for you with no upfront commitment. Something else I found amazing is the fact they actually listen. If you have recommendations on how to improve the product, they will listen, take it to the development team for further review, oh, and they do get back to you, sometimes takes a bit of time, but they always do. So nice not to be forgotten :) I highly recommend this program.

Cons

Only problem I've had is getting it work and sync with my Ipad, but I'm sure the FreshBooks team is all over it.

yogendra kumar from evision technoserve pvt. ltd.

Freshbook is a world best finacial and accounting software with highest customer satisfaction.

The most important thing with this software is time saving.I love everything about FreshBooks. It is an excellent app for freelancers and small companies. I have been using it for the past few years and rate it the best software in the market. Whenever I had issues, the support team helped me to resolve them quickly with effective solutions. Many reason to love Freshbooks software- COST EFFICENCY, EASE OF USE, CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

Pros

Freshbook is fast and reliable suite for accounting.It's award wining software at many accasion.FreshBooks is an award-winning finance & accounting software and one of the best cloud solutions for small business owners. It is the current holder of FinancesOnline's Best Accounting Software Award for 2016 as well as the Supreme Software Award for 2016, and has the highest customer satisfaction rates of all similar apps in this category. As you will find out in this review, there is a long list of reasons why our experts considered FreshBooks for these prestigious acknowledgments. We can enables all these products Google Checkout, PayPal, and credit card payments in Freshbooks and integrates with a long list of business systems and applications that can streamline this process. With it, odds are good that you will unite financial control in a single system, and stop paying for the maintenance of complex software infrastructure. Freshbooks have these functions Excellent invoice to payment features, Saves billing time like no other app, Mobile-friendly and accessible, Tracking expenses with handy snaps.

Cons

Most of things are too good but some drawbacks like not store credit card infomation. Customer interface is excellent and ability to not store credit card information locally is key to PCI compliance. We love the recurring profile concept for recurring billing and find the web portal very intuitive. We also appreciate the branding we can do for our clients so they feel this billing platform is an extension of our service and that they are in the right place. This also gives our customers the peace of mind of knowing their transactions and billing information is secure.

Derek from 5.12 Design Lab

Simple Invoicing Solution for Small Business

I've been extremely happy with Freshbooks so far. It has certainly reduced the amount of time I spend doing my time tracking, invoicing and accounting. Tracking expenses throughout the year makes it easy for my tax professional to "do his thing" in regards to reporting and deductions.

Pros

I primarily use this software for tracking time against clients, for everything from larger projects to simple one-off tasks. It's incredibly easy to start the timer, associate it with the client/project, then stop the timer when the session/job is complete. On the first of the month, I can quickly generate and send invoices for each client based on the time tracked. Clients can then pay by check or online, and I can mark invoices as paid after the payments are reconciled by my bank. The automated invoice reminders have helped collect money I'd otherwise be chasing down.

Cons

Wish there were some additional follow-up/reminder options. Some of my clients need more than 3 reminders, sometimes. I also find it somewhat confusing doing the reconciling, as not marking transfer/expenses properly can do funny things to the ledgers (although the reports make it pretty easy to go back and fix).

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

Wanted a solution with integrated time tracking.

Gina from Ginas Virtual Assistance

Perfect for all of your accounting

Definitely fantastic for time tracking and billing your customers. Nice invoices and easy for the client to pay on the other end. Overall I have stuck with it for a good long time and I like it enough that I haven't even looked to change it.

Pros

I have had this software since it was a free program. I use it for time tracking and invoicing my real estate clients. It works seamlessly with Stripe which moves my credit card payments to my bank for a small fee. The cost is very reasonable and if I had a staff of any kind I could give them some access to be able to bill for their hours etc. I now use the extension on chrome to login and track my hours which is incredibly handy and I dont have to have a window open just for that, it works in the background of all the open tabs. Overall I very much like it.

Cons

As I mentioned I have had the program since it started as a free account and I now pay for the lowest paid account as it is just me. I would love to be able to have some of the other accounting features and add my other business to it but that costs more. My biggest wish would be that they might include a few of them into the cheaper account as I am sure most people need the ones like account balancing etc. Also, it would be helpful if you did not also have to pay for another system like Stripe to get the money from your account to your bank.

Christopher from POP MEDIA USA

started out great ... still good

still love it and it relly did change how i do and think about bissness its ashame i dont quite feel i can not use them as my 360 exsample of from product to marketing to customer srvice that i used to but i have hope they will fix some of the software interface quicks and make them simple and as easy as before , as i used to love recommeding them and still would for there customer service alone

Pros

super easy to use and got me up and running stright away any issues i had i called them right up and boom sombody on the other side of the phone no robo call deal a real knolagable human telling me how to fix it , there marketing and custmoer service blew me away so much i used them as a exsample of how it sholuld be done to my clients

Cons

few little things with the old software like quirks in exspences that we found work arounds , but then moving to the new software i am still getting used to is but no paypal payment now not a big deal also harder to find old invoices and clients its just very diffrent but still seems to work ok and the customer service is still great so im sticking with it for now , i can see how it looks better and wants to be better but it just feels less intuative and simple , yet i know thats what they are going for just my poinion , oh and the serch is now super tough for me as a dyslexic as you have to spell out 3 to four letters befour it give me options making it very frustrating almost usless

Emmanuel from Evans Design C.A.

Excellent Tool for the Small Business Creative

Excellent Tool for the Small Business Creative

Pros

I like how easy it is to track billables, how easy it is to create estimates and turn them into invoices, how wonderfully the app tracks invoices, expenses, and payments. I always know when my client has viewed the invoice. Freshbooks makes bookkeeping and accounting easy, and this is a plus for us with non-traditionally-logical creative brains. It is wonderful that I can use Freshbooks on my laptop and on the go with my cell-phone or tablet. The functionality is great for most users. I do need to track time (sometimes, just for myself to ensure I am on top of the project projections). I love that I can input receipt images - on the go - directly from my phone's camera or can upload them through files on the laptop/desktop app. I have used Quickbooks in the past, and it was far more robust than I needed. I am a one-person creative company and just needed time-tracking / estimate generation / invoicing / payment tracking / and expense tracking. And, of course, the lovely printable reports for my accountant. Freshbooks far surpasses my expectations.

Cons

It would be nice if I could set up invoicing once or twice a week and have it go out automatically on the date specified without having to create a recurring item. I like to do my desk work one day a week and if I knew I was invoicing someone at the end of the week for an already known amount, then I would like it to automatically send the invoice that day rather than me remember to go into Freshbooks and hit the send button on the draft. (I have a client that only wants to be invoiced every other Tuesday, but Tuesdays are busy for me so I do up her invoice for the work completed two weeks behind. I do my desk work after work hours on Fridays as that is the day my hubby is out and it does not interfere with the work day. Every other Tuesday I have a calendar reminder ping me to send her the invoice. It works for me. But, I would really love to schedule it and forget it.

JENNY DEL CARMEN from INDEPENDIENTE

It was an incredibly simple experience and it simplifies the accounting processes.

Pros

freshbooks is an excellent tool that apart from reducing the accounting processes, since with this tool we replace the tedious and obsolete accounting books and the generation of invoices by a modern and simple online billing system, on the other hand it guarantees the confidentiality of the registered invoices or stored in the cloud, also allows the personalization of invoices with the logo of the user's company and is incredibly easy to use, you can also link the bank account of the company to do an automatic monitoring of expenses, thus allowing the savings of time and further simplifying the billing and collection tasks. Additionally, it allows users to store customer information, and track and control the time employees invest in each project, this would imply that it is possible to decide which project is more profitable for the company, in relation to man versus benefit hours. or profit for the company, as well as that generates greater efficiency in communication in the members of a team that have a common project since it would avoid the sending of emails and assignments of keys for permits because with this tool you can send files and images in addition to managing the permissions of each team member work. On the other hand, it generates a great variety of financial reports, among which we can highlight: profit and loss reports, invoice details and reports by customers. Finally, it has a mobile application that allows you to access the system from anywhere.

Cons

To access the service you need an Internet connection to use the software. On the other hand the price in relation to subscriptions linked to the number of customers that can be stored or saved is a high price because for example in the basic subscription limits the user to save only 5 clients and if it is a software designed for small companies or medium-sized expansion path should provide more storage as well as a basic package. However, it does not allow estimates of quarterly or annual tax payments, so you will have to calculate them by hand or use a different program that is complementary, which is an additional limitation

January 2016

Kaylene from Buffalo State College

January 2016

FreshBooks is a true blessing.

I work in a college and print/design for faculty/staff and students. Because of the high volume of jobs it was easy to miss paperwork when jobs were being given to me by email, phone, and walk-ins. Also, my office was not able to accept cash which was difficult for students. Several years ago I started using Wufoo for creating job request forms. It was working well with PayPal integration, but invoices would go out immediately so if they were entered incorrectly or the job changed, it caused confusion when alterations had to be made. FreshBooks was the integration that enabled me to have invoices only go out when the job was fully completed. It also helped me to keep track of what invoices were getting paid and which ones weren't. I love the reports that totally help me at the end of the fiscal year.

Pros

Ability to see all the jobs for each client. Ability to add contacts to the clients - in my case, to add secretaries names to the faculty accounts. Ability to have my student workers be able to assist with the outgoing invoices to ease up my time for other matters. Can add expenses to see exactly what's coming in and going out. Automatic 30, 60, and 90 day overdue notices. Integration with PayPal so invoices can be paid that way if preferred. Would love to use the ability where FreshBooks can keep track of your inventory, but since some of my jobs are paid ahead of time through Wufoo and never have to get transferred over to FreshBooks, it wouldn't be accurate.

Cons

Clients names are always listed by the business name - in my case, by departments or offices. I would prefer that I actually see the person's name. I wish it would give the option of which you'd like to see. Only certain information is sent from the Wufoo form to FreshBooks - I would've liked even just one more box of information to move from one to the other. I couldn't get a clear answer on which one (Wufoo or FreshBooks) was the one that created that code. There is nothing from Wufoo (like an invoice #) that shows up on the FreshBooks invoice to connect the two.

Katie from Bluestem Network

User Friendly Accounting Software

Overall, our experience with FreshBooks was a positive one. It is a program that is simple enough for our team members to be able to answer customer questions, accept payments and create invoices, yet robust enough to provide our Director of Finance with the financial data he required for his reporting and projections.

Pros

Freshbooks is fairly intuitive, even if you do not have an accounting degree you can find the information you're looking for. Creating and publishing invoices is simple enough for anyone to do. I like that there is a default description line for the product/service, but you can customize the content on an ad hoc basis when needed. Pre-built reports exist to pull commonly requested data from the system.

Cons

When updating the name of a product / service, it would be nice if all existing line items on an invoice could be updated as well, instead of updating each item for each customer invoice manually. When viewing a customer's invoice history, I would prefer to see the total at the bottom of the list be the outstanding amount due, instead of just a total of all invoices (paid or not). It would be nice to have different invoice types/templates/layouts for customers with specific services (to indicate special terms or changes for example). Additional customization of reports would be a nice addition.

Adam from SolidState

Long time customer. Change cuts both ways

We have developed all of our solutions around fresh books from customizations in our workflow processing to selecting an accounting firm that will support our dependence and comfort with this platform. There is not yet total functional parity between the “old fresh books“ and new fresh books... but it is coming along...and the support is always outstanding while they get there

Pros

Hands-down the most impressive aspect of fresh books is the customer support. Monotonous tasks or more complicated requirements are approached by a customer support team that answers the phone instantly and works to help you get your work done. The advances that have been made especially in the payment handling utilizing the Advanced payment feature, which is an additional cost, has revolutionize the way our business is able to store and process payments using their PCI compliant service

Cons

The willingness for FreshBooks to hold onto it it’s more humble roots and allow long time small business or individuals to use their legacy accounts has declined quite significantly and it is not a good cultural shift. I have a harder time recommending freshbooks if for a small start up there is a cost on top of a learning curve. There needs to be a free tear if they are going to maintain the businesses that haven’t got off the ground yet

Amy from Freelance

Industry: Publishing

Easy invoicing and time tracking for freelancers, plus lots of cool stuff I don't use

I am a freelance editor and I use Freshbooks to track my hours and expenses, and invoice customers. With Freshbooks you can also do estimates (I only do them for my own records, but you can send also quotes to clients), assign different rates to different tasks, and even work with subcontractors (which I haven't done yet). Freshbooks lets you get paid really easily -- you can connect it to PayPal, or even accept credit cards. (You take a bit of a hit on fees but you get paid FAST.) You can customize Freshbooks with your colors and logo, so when you send invoices they look very professional and expensive. (That inspires confidence in your clients and encourages repeat business, and also lets them know you're no chump and they better pay you fast.) You can also use Freshbooks to keep track of expenses and receipts. It makes tax season ridiculously easy. Well.... easier. There's also an app for your phone so you can track time and expenses, and probably even send invoices, when you're out without your computer. Tech support is good, fast, and friendly. There is tons of information on the website, too. When I ask for help with something, they usually take the time to go to my account and do screenshots with my own data showing me exactly how to do what I asked about! Yeah, it seems expensive, but when I think about all the time I would otherwise spend doing invoices, tracking time and expenses, and putting together tax information, it's actually pretty reasonable.

Pros

easy to use effective - does what it says makes me look good pretty

Cons

Sometimes I forget how to do things that I don't do very often.

Sandile from Fiverr

Fresh of the FreshBooks!

Awesome for independent companies and consultants. At the point when your business needs increasingly more customization and mass bookkeeping, I figure FreshBooks probably won't be a solid match yet at the same time sensible. It is additionally an extraordinary device for overseeing costs, particularly for organizations with various groups chipping away at different tasks, guaranteeing these groups don't surpass the spending roof.

Pros

-Offers a few highlights, for example, online installment entryway and cloud-based invoicing. -It has hearty detailing functionalities that empower clients to settle on educated choices. -Permits clients to move their timesheet information to receipt and get installments rapidly. -Gives easy to use, excellent solicitations -Inherent highlights like receipt updates, repeating solicitations, stores, and programmed late expenses applied -Various installment alternatives — including Stripe (which is an unquestionable requirement have for my industry)

Cons

-Has a greater number of highlights than what I need, yet I simply don't stress over it. -I didn't care for the new form. When I overhauled, I returned to the exemplary version...it was simpler and had a couple of highlights I didn't care for. -Might want to have the option to send out clients out of FreshBooks. I don't figure you can do that at this moment. -There are two variant of FreshBooks. The fresher ones do a few things well that the exemplary rendition doesn't, for instance, permit singular installment terms instead of worldwide installment terms. In any case, the fresher rendition doesn't do all that the exemplary variant does.

Jose Gregorio from CRP

With this application, the first thing I learned was managing finances within my business

Efficiency in the administration of my business. Good handling of invoices and collections. My business has grown because I can make better estimates of income and expenses. It is very easy to use and install. The learning curve is fast. The price is adequate according to the benefits it offers and its limitations. It is widely recommended for small and medium businesses that start and need a healthy and effective administration.

Pros

What I liked most about this application is that it allows me to be more effective in managing my bills, saving me money in hiring personnel for this task. Handling my bills well increases the effectiveness of my collections by growing my business. For a small business, it is excellent and it works very well, but for large companies the application works slow. I like how easy it is to learn how to use it. It is designed to be used by people with little or no experience in the financial management of the company. The application tracks the expenses of the company and sends invoices to customers to charge for your work, it's like having a very competent private secretary. I recommend it for entrepreneurs with little experience in the business world.

Cons

Among the things I do not like about this tool is that you can not make tax estimates to pay. In this case, the tax payment estimates must be calculated manually. This causes delays in the preparation of reports and increases the possibility of error margins. To perform this task and many others you need an internet connection. This limitation slows the workflow when there is no internet service. The system does not have a variety of graphic models for reports

Mayra from School of Visual Arts

FreshBooks is the best business software for finance, sales and marketing.

FreshBooks is the best business software for finance, sales and marketing. I can always solve my accountants problem by using this efficient software. Moreover it is very friendly user and I can easily manage my finance and expenses with the help of this software. I would recommended this software for every person because FreshBooks is the best business software for finance.

Pros

FreshBooks is very easy to use and it is the best business software for finances, sales and marketing. The one thing that we most like about this software is that it can better manage our finance in a more efficient way. The another thing that I most like about this software is that FreshBooks is the best accounting software. It can easily manage our accounts in a efficient way. FreshBooks contain superb features such as it can easily track all of our incomes and expenses. Hence it is the best business software for finance, sales and marketing.

Cons

The most obvious difficulty that you faced while using this software is that when we deposit our payments in the bank accounts then sometime our payments cannot easily deposited in the bank accounts without any reason. But otherwise it is the best accounting software in the world. The another thing that I don't like about this software is that sometime it cannot easily track large amount of expenses. But to conclude that FreshBooks can help us in running our business in a easiest and in the fastest way.

Blake from Midwest Tungsten Service

Industry: Mining & Metals

Reasonable competitive software to QuickBooks

We have several online businesses that feed into different accounting systems for ease of year end taxes and numbers. Freshbooks was a decent alternative to Quickbooks -- we chose Freshbooks because Quickbooks keeps raising their prices.

Pros

Reports & data download faster due to the FreshBooks server setup. The user interface is not very different from other entry-level accounting software, the data download speeds are much higher.

Cons

Quickbooks customer service is truly superb. Not only do they understand accounting, but also software and tech. We had that service level expectation when we came to Freshbooks, and we were let down.

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

It was popular accounting software coupled with freedom from Quickbooks

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

We wanted to diversify away from quickbooks and check out other accounting software.

Sinoun from ShiftWeb Solutions, LLC

Great tool - a bit expensive

Pros

FreshBooks is a great solution for small businesses like me. It allows you to professionally accept credit cards and you get the payments ASAP. It also tracks clients, invoices, hours, etc. in a very convenient way. For a long time, FreshBooks was pretty dated with their interface, but they recently just came out with a new interface that is much better - but it's very different so it's still taking me some time to get used to. FreshBooks is probably one of the better solutions out there available - but I'm not 100% sure because I've used this for so long that I haven't tried anything else. I guess if I've stuck with it that long then it must be good for me! :) Also, customer service is one of the best. Every time I email support, I get very quick and professional responses. I appreciate that!

Cons

Unfortunately, I'm kind of stuck with it because I've used it for so long that it would be very difficult to get out. Why would I want to get out? The only reason is because of the pricing. It's a bit expensive. The pricing have gone up since I've used it many years ago. They don't grandfather you in like a lot of other solutions if they make changes and it makes me a bit frustrated.

drew from Drew McManus LLC

trades improvements for loss of features

I've been a long time Freshbooks user and can say that while the recent major update introduced needed features, they cut out quite a few features I found critical. Two critical features that no longer exist include: 1) No auto currency conversion. In the old system, you could apply the current currency conversion rate to an invoice at the time it was sent. Now I have to do those calculations manually and with several non US based clients, each with a dozen or more line items, what used to take seconds is now a huge time-consuming. I've been told by Freshbooks that there are no plans to bring this feature back. 2) No more per client credit feature. In the old system you could apply a credit to any client that in turn could be used on any invoice. The client could even apply it where desired for future charges. In the new system you must create an invoice then apply the credit there. It can then only be used for that invoice. I use client credits all the time for referrals and allowing them the ability to apply to invoices as desired in whatever amount they wanted was a huge asset. That's completely gone as is the dedicated credit dashboard. 3) Reporting requires more clicks to filter than the old system and while it isn't as big of an issue as above, I don't understand how they could determine that requiring users to click more was a smart move.

Pros

does a good job at automating reminders and processing credit card payments

Cons

too many features removed on updates and makes UI more complicated, not elss

Laura from Asset4You Professional VA Services

You don't have to be an Accountant to Use it

I now keep books for my small freelance business and my personal expenses. And I am always referring friends and others to Freshbooks especially when they first start up - then once they do, they keep using it even after the business grows.

Pros

It was easy to follow and use - nothing complicated. Perfect for someone that isn't good at bookkeeping but has their own business with low overhead.

Cons

I really didn't dislike anything about it.

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

1. East of use 2. Cost 3. The fact that I could log into ONE account and work with different companies.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

It was more cost effective and much simpler to use for my small business.

Luis Fernando from Cibersys

A good application, however, has a series of functional limits that affect me as a user.

I obtained a good management of my personal accounting in terms of billing and collection of my professional services, in the same way, I learned to manage my income very well in the best way.

Pros

Not everything in an application that facilitates the processes of accounting is bad, that's why FreshBooks presents many positive functions, in my individual perception this software I like because it is clearly a solution for billing and accounting of companies and freelancers and entrepreneurs of small businesses based on a model of Web Hosting (cloud), as well as offering a free version that helps in some way to save those people who are starting and working only for a single client as they grow, Clear in particular, my person helped me to favor some calculations while I was trying to start an accounting business but by my own decision I decided to abandon it for dedicating myself to my telecommunications engineering responsibilities. A part of it is very easy to use and at a certain point if you have any inconvenience customer service apart from being free helps you without any inconvenience only works as well as any service desk. Finally, I really like its interface and its multi-currency transactions.

Cons

The application has many positive things but what I like the least is that the limits to the number of clients that can be invoiced with the free version generate problems in terms of the personal growth processes of my personal businesses and lack many functions of Accounting, such as inventory management and payroll, which are essential for companies with multiple employees so I can not recommend it, These are often offered in competing packages

Displaying 1 - 50 of 3,498 reviews