• Pros

• "It's incredibly easy to use and allows me to work out of the office with zero hassle"

• "I particularly like the fact that it has all of the fields that I need and it is easy to use. "

• "The software is easy to use, and easy to pick up for non computer people"

• Cons

• "can run into issues with some parts of program but tech support resolves"

• "Nothing wrong that Act isn't working on. I wish the hosted version was a little more flexible.... but that is just personal and visual wishes for me."

• "Learning the software has been a little cumbersome but the customer service reps have always been very helpful!"

Browse Act! Reviews

Thomas from RxEDO, Inc.

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Love the ease of use for both entering data and retrieving info

I use it to track my clients and prospects and I can tell anyone the last time I made contact, what that was - letter, Email, Phone Call, etc. and it allows me to connect important info to any of my clients, prospects, friends and family.

Pros

The fact that I was able to use the product immediately with no instruction was a great pro. Entering data and retrieving info about a client is easy, and building history of calls, Email messages, letters in a record is great.

Cons

I am not happy with support as all they do is provide a fix when there is a problem, but not direction in how to build reports or use other functionality. I have had to fix the same problem with direction from their service group several times. If I ask for help with reports they tell me I need to find a consultant for that.

Paul from Power Systems International Limited

A GOOD STABLE BASE FOR CRM ... JUST WISH ENHANCING WAS A LITTLE EASIER

We need ACT, and it is the core of what we do. We would like to see ways that we can add depth and richness to a good platfrom

Pros

I like the fact that a team of 5 can share effectively in real time, I like the ease of changing layouts and adding fields, and with Seamless the ablity to easily prdcue high quality documenation. It's link to outlook and ODBC is good and it is a stable, which being at the core of our business is a good thing

Cons

There are many things I think we could do to be more productive but can't, and we do see fields being changed or lost "by themselves". The web version was a poor version of the Pro, and we haven't been able to make it available when offline, which is a frustration.

Reasons for Choosing Act!

Much better value for money, and lower overall overheads meant better for us as a asmall business

Stuart from Advanced Insurance Alternatives

Good for small business needs

Been using it for 15 years. Good overall,

Pros

Highly customizable fields. At each upgrade, all my changes are carried forward without me needing to do anything. Solid follow-up system.

Cons

My only complaint is the size of the application on the screen. The settings that I use on the screen work for all my other programs. This displays just a bit smaller than I would like. Haven't found a way to correct.

Bud from Florida Real Estate Loans, Inc.

22 year plus customer Sage / Act

Years ago Act software helped me build a tremendous mortgage business. Out of that experience, I am reaching out to offer some effective criticism to enhance your product. Good luck! Feel free to contact me anytime.

Pros

I was probably one of the first purchasers of Act. It is a great program that needs a company to put some serious thought behind making it work better. After shopping several other CRM software's I still think it is above the rest in both user friendly and functionality. You price for the product is more than fair (in fact, I think low) but the software runs like it is somebody's part time job.

Cons

Customer service is the worst. The guys in India are great and I have nothing bad to say about them but is there some reason I need to sit on a phone 45 minutes waiting to speak to the representative? Again I think Act could be the CRM leader but I don't see much improvement over the past few years. The principles of this company have sat back and let opportunities walk by not focusing on the customers needs. With all the apps and technologies available Act should have more to offer.When I purchase a product I do not expect to have to spend hours chasing down my answers through videos.

Keith from Prismar Limited

Fits my business well

Does what I need and what I expected when I purchased it.

Pros

Flexibility to set ACT to support different operations in my business. I heavily customise the fields. One version is my HR system. It beats Sage 50 HR for me

Cons

Difficult question. It does what U require. If I am being critical, it could do with faster search routines. Also reporting is a bit dated.

Flexibility /customisation

Andrea from Thomas Rubin & Kelley, PC

Industry: Law Practice

Great product, a lot of capabilities!

Great! I have zero complaints. I do need to take some time to learn more functions but that is on me, not the program.

Pros

Ease of use. I have used it in the past so familiarity.

Cons

The remote app is not as user friendly as some I have seen but it works.

Familiarity.

James from Chemical and Pharmaceutical Solutions

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Simple and Effective Contact Management

I use ACT run run my entire client contact. It interfaces with Outlook for my emails. I can write letters and reports and are easily attached so I can find them quickly. It has a calendar and can add reminders and tasks

Pros

This is easy to set up and has more functions than a small business will actually need. Scheduling and report writing is easy to do and keeps things well organized. I have sued this for many years and the files is very large but it is easy to search.

Cons

Much of my work is confidential. I attach files to people and it is a little cumbersome when people leave the company and go work for some one else. It would be nice it they could work out a way to deal with this. Also, they are moving to a web-based program and while it may have advantages for some of us, it may be a problem. When I travel, i can not always access the cloud or the speed is very slow.

Nathan from Pro-Vision Video Systems

Small Business' should use ACT! for organizational needs.

As long as you are not trying to overload the system creating multiple profiles for many companies, this product works great for smaller companies trying to get their foot in the door for a cross connection software with sales, help desk for technical team, and financial support all in one.

Pros

You can input any information and update it and the information can be seen by anyone in the organization. Makes communication between teams very simple and quick.

Cons

I am not a fan of the way they use multiple contacts past two for a business. If there are a list of people to communicate with each profile has up to two contacts, with more than two a new profile for the company has to be created, creating multiple profiles for each company which can cause confusion for other sections of the company, including processing payments and sending to the wrong contact at the other end or returning a product to the wrong section of said business.

Sherilyn from Greater Cincinnati Board of Realtors

Not what I expected

I will be reviewing other CRM's when my renewal comes due.

Pros

It is a pretty decent CRM in terms of data collection and contact management.

Cons

Support is a problem. (I paid for premium service "an extra" to speak with an "on-shore" technician". Hold times when you call in can be up to an hour at any given time of the day. Sometimes you can be cut-off after holding 45 minutes and begin the process all over again. Tech often does not know the answer and has to "escalate to Sr. tech" They say they will get back to you in 24 hours by call or email. I am on day 3 now and have not received this call back. In my business my CRM is my navigator and used as a main part of my business day. The down time is ridiculous. I have been dead in the water all morning today, it is now noon. I am currently on hold waiting for a tech to explain my inability to log in today. I have currently been on hold for 43:53 minutes and counting.

Denise from PNWSM

Industry: Publishing

VERY DISSATISFIED!

Upgrade were not announced, and the proposed changes not described. Initial bugs wouldn't even allow it to load! There are still bugs with things as basic as the notes section that ACT has been unwilling to address least of all fix!

Pros

Initially I wanted to use the program because I had used it a decade ago and found it easy to use and customize. It has changed and I ended up having to hire a consultant for everything.

Cons

As mentioned, I have worked with ACT off and on for two decades. Their most recent "upgrade" has been filled with bugs and a lack desire to fix them. My consultants have been inundated with complaints they have passed on to ACT with no response. Plus, they lack basic integration with excel or outlook. What!? Contact management programs are a competitive software. ACT is both more expensive than most, not user friendly and lacking in function and basic customer service.

Reasons for Choosing Act!

I am researching other product right now

Angela from White Glove Building Inspections

Long Time User

Because we have at least 3 people involved in one transaction, the relationship tab helps us tie them together to the transaction. We can toggle back and forth easily without having to search another name. It's quick and efficient. With our customized fields, we can easily see years of history for a client on one page. We have been frustrated over the years by the number of crashes and freezes.Occasionally an import will not import correctly and the data in put into the wrong fields. The support help and support page of the marketing automation is very poor and lacking in depth training on creating/sending eblasts. There are is no advanced level training for the eblasts and drip marketing.

Pros

This is a robust software program. We have added many custom fields that allows us to track a lot of data really dig into for trends and statistics. We love how history is captured a for all the activity we do for and with a client. We rely on the relationship tab heavily as multiple people are involved in a transaction. We are really enjoying the new Marketing Automation. It has a lot of robust features that we are just beginning to tap into. We also like the groups feature. We have hundreds of groups that we can run reports and create statistics from. We can see how many groups a contact is part of which helpful as well. I like the statistics ACT generates from drip marketing. Knowing what emails bounced back or who opted out helps us improve our data.

Cons

When searching for a person, it doesn't give you the option of having similar names - the spelling must be exact. It crashes when we are in the social updates tab. Customer Service: Often the techs are hard to understand. The time we spend on the phone with customer service on average lasts about 1/2 to an hour depending on the issue. That is a big interruption to our workflow in the office. One thing I wish ACT would do is send to 2 emails at once. When sending out an eblast, it pulls from the email field. If there is more than one email address followed by a semicolon, it won't send to both. It bounces back.

Reasons for Choosing Act!

We've been using it for more than 15 years and are excited when another new upgrade and improvement is made. Familiarity and loyalty!

Thom from Foley & Associates Inc

Very versatile

I have been using it non stop since the earliest versions - that should tell you that I am very satisfied with it.

Pros

I have been using ACT for over 25 years and have seen lots of versions. I like its flexibility and that I can put users into multiple groups, It would be impossible to design a program that did everything everybody wanted it to but ACT comes close. I use it for sales, marketing, personal groups I coordinate, keeping track of some of my customers' customers. It can interact with Outlook and Google's calendar if you use either of those programs. I am a Premium member. The bad side to that is it is a little pricey - about $0 a month. The good side is that I always have the most up to date version. The customer support is wonderful if you are a premium member. Whenever Microsoft Windows has an update a lot of my programs need some adjusting. ACT requires the SQL to restart but that is a simple fix. If/when I have had issues I couldn't fix I just made a call and their support team was terrific in helping me. I like the fact that it is cloud based so I can access it on my tablet or cell phone or any computer anywhere. At my office I use the offline version and simply update the sync to the cloud. I have it set to update overnight also. One of the features I like best is the history. It is great to be able to look back to meetings, calls etc to see what I said, did etc. The library of forms is very useful also - create a form, letter - whatever - and you have a pre printed template you can utilize for multiple clients or for just one. It holds tons of contacts also.

Cons

I wish it had more options for the ID/Status cells. The group function sort of does that but not like I need it to. Having 3, 4, 5 or more ID/Status cells would be very useful. Most of my clients fall into more than one category.

Overall expereince

Customer relationship management in a neat little package!

Act has become a valuable database of information for our teams, storing all manner of customer and company information that we can utilise for various means. It is a valuable asset for us and will no doubt continue to be in the future.

Pros

There are multiple benefits to using Act as reported by our users. The Act database allows for a large quantity of information to be stored, meaning we were able to decommission several other systems holding various bits of customer data by merging it into Act. We have found pricing to be competitive on a per-licence basis which suits us as a small team working within a non-profit organisation. Act makes it easy for users to update already stored customer/company information, so we always have up-to-date data for contacting, addresses, etc. Communications to customers/companies are tracked in Act so other members of the department can see who has communicated with who, and what the correspondence was – this is useful if a member of staff is off and another needs to pick up some workload. On the technical side, updates and hotfixes are provided regularly and it is relatively easy to install these during periods of downtime. The UI is easy to navigate, with clearly labelled menus and an in-built help area.

Cons

We have found it somewhat difficult to integrate Act with our current systems and have resorted to manually exporting CSVs with information to import into our systems. This is a legacy process and may have been improved upon however, we haven’t looked into this. We have also had to purchase add-ins to enable certain features such as opportunities tracking, but Act plays well with these add-ons, so this is not too much of an issue for us. From an admin’s perspective, it has proven difficult to set up an automatic installation that works with our MDT deployments, but we roll out images with Act on rarely, so this isn’t too much of an issue. Perhaps in future, updates could be made to the UI to make it look a little less dated and bring it up to clean, modern, standards.

Jonathan from Legally Mine

Act! is a flexible tool to track data the way you want to see it.

Act allows us to manage a vast database of over 85,000 contacts and 15,000 companies, as well as over 100,000 Table records between the two, with ease. Any information we need to find or update with these records is as easy as it gets, and makes our customer service team's jobs a relative breeze. There are hiccups here and there, especially with newer features to the program, but there's never been any issues that interrupt work or cause data loss, and the tech support available is very handy at resolving any issues we might have.

Pros

Everything in a Contact or Company record's layout can be customized, moved around, hidden on a per-user basis, and otherwise manipulated however your organization needs it to be. My company makes heavy use of this feature, having multiple team-based layouts that present the most important data to those teams prominently. We also greatly enjoy the software's ability to perform advanced queries on the data that can be saved and re-run with a single click to provide accurate reports and drill down to specific needs in moments.

Cons

There are quite a few features that feel incomplete or at least not fully integrated. For example, the software comes with the ability to create and Mail Merge templated emails that imports information like a contact's name, and the Smart Tasks feature allows you to automatically perform certain tasks including sending an email to a contact, yet for some reason you can't do both - that is, you can't set a Smart Task to perform a Mail Merge to a templated email and send the result, meaning that the automated emails cannot contain information personal to the contact such as their name.

Robert from Entertainment

Value of using Act

See What I liked most.

Pros

Started using Act about 25 years ago. Have added contacts since and used most of the features. Over time the use of certain features such as mass mailings to customer lists have faded, and now occasionally by e-mail. Over time I have come to value how I can locate someone that was a customer years ago, and have a complete record of a transaction, conversation or specific subject we were involved in. You have to learn to use for nearly every phone conversation or piece of correspondence. If you do, you will always be able to revert back to a contact, and who said what when. What correspondence was involved etc. To say nothing about scheduling appointments, and being reminded of birthdays and other important events. Act is the backbone of my business and personal contact information. Invaluable and used every day. I have used over may revisions and Company changes. Sometimes the customer service is better than others. Presently the Customer Service is Excellent. If you are a first time user or considering starting to use it I would recommend you take a course on using it as many of the features are not apparent unless someone shows them to you. A great tool to keep track of what everyone on your team is doing and as they move on a record of what they did and who was involved. A great tool that I rely on daily. Happy to spread the word.

Cons

Many features that I never use, but see how others would. Don't like having to use MS Outlook for e-mail. Would like to access completely by phone, but my database is too big.

Bill from Mesa

How act is helping me working at 74 as a sales man

I have been using ACT's since 1999 and this year I turned 74 and I'm still selling with the very best of them. I sell power supplies to industry and without ACT there is no way I could compete in the world of sales today without ACT, I put everything and anything that helps me sell more in a very competitive field including emails, quotes, power supply spec, and notes. I see so many people who will not invest in this program or database if they did their sales would be much higher nobody can remember everything but ACT does. In all the years I have used at never a problem of any kind I do keep it on three computers as the backup just in case there's a crash of one of my computers. I backup my database 2 to 3 times a week making sure I have everything when I need it. The thing I like most about ACT when I go to sales meetings I have all my information right in front of me on my laptop and so many people don't. So when I am questioned about any customer I can look in my notes and have the answers I need, without ACT my sales numbers would be much lower. Thanks ACT

Pros

Without ACT I could not compete as well as I do in the sales world for it is changing every day. I need ACT to help track my customers my orders my RFQ's and so many other things without it I wouldn't have a job today. I see so many salespeople who won't invest in ACT who sales numbers could be so much better I tell them about ACT but they don't seem to want to invest in their future and their future sales that could be so much better.

Cons

I cannot find one thing wrong with ACT I have been using it approximately 20 years and never had a problem I cannot say this about other database programs I have had to use when I worked for other companies. Some of them were super complicated took hours of work just to get your data in whereas using ACT it was a breeze putting data in and saving data of all kinds.

Karen from Tech Benders

I may be prejudiced but I love this product

I have used Act personally and for my business almost since its inception. Full disclosure: I have written 7 books on the product as well as the training videos for lynda.com/LinkedIn. I also do consulting work for several other CRM products and wrote a book on SugarCRM. For the money, you can't beat Act. Act has all the power of the "bigger" players without the expensive price point. As newer features are added the existing ones remain relatively stable so that an existing user can upgrade without being hit by a huge learning curve. That said, new users of ANY software product, and specifically CRM software, need to realize that training is essential if they want to unleash the full power of Act. And, like with any other software, support and training is not free - especially if your Act version is several years old. Try calling Microsoft the next time you need help with a spreadsheet or can't get Outlook to send your email and you will see exactly what I mean. However, all Act Premium subscriptions do include free technical support. I urge readers to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. For example, Act is absolutely the easiest product out there when it comes to a mail merge. Try doing this in Salesforce and compare the number of keystrokes it takes to complete a merge. Another reviewer complains that you can't merge to over "50 contacts;" that restriction is meant to keep you spam-compliant and can easily be overcome by using the built in Act E-marketing Tool. Another reviewer complained that it took "days" to download the software; again, this is simply not the norm and one has to wonder what kind of security settings might have been blocking the ability to download software.

Pros

Perfect fit for mid-sized businesses. Great price point. Only truly hybrid solution that allows you to use Act both on your desktop and in a hosted environment.

Josh from AICTC

ACT is a great software product that allows you to integrate your database and track your clients

ACT is worth the price and worth the training to get educated on it. Unfortunately you need to spend some time figuring out the details, but once you do, it is off to the races and you will love the system every day. It really is a great product.

Pros

This product allows you to integrate the basic and most complicated processes within your business. I love the email link feature, any time I send an email to a client (who has their email in their account profile), the system automatically saves that email in the client profile. You don't have to search for it in your inbox, or click an extra button to push the details over to the profile, it all happens automatically. The icing on the cake, is now that it is in the client profile, other members of my team can see what emails I have communicated to client, and when they were sent. It helps to keep my team all on the same page. This is by far the best Client Database system I have ever used. AMAZING!

Cons

The biggest downside to ACT is there is not a built in funnel email system. You have to select the group or type of clients that you want to email, export that to another database and then send the communications from there. The system will still tag your emails as long as they are sent from your domain, but having to export the list an use an additional software or service to send the mass email notifications is a little frustrating. If they can fix this option, it would make my life a lot easier.

Financial Advisor & Group Benefits Specialist

Keeping track of where I am in a client sale cycle and note taking of conversations that are time stamped help keep me compliant which is crucial to my business . When I open ACT! each day I get the reminders of what I am suppose to do to keep me on track is time saving to me.

Pros

I have used other CRM platforms and ACT! for advisors is a very friendly system to learn. I was referred by another advisor to have a look at ACT! and when I inquired I received an excellent one on one training/review of the product. I was able to ask about specific features that I wanted in a data base and they were part of it. I live in Alberta and they changed some of the titles ie: Zip Code to Postal Code. I was able to add some of my own specific information boxes ie: Firm Number. I was able to purchase the software without having to pay for it on an ongoing monthly cost. Sharing data with multiple users/computers. The eMarketing feature I use all the time. I am able to build my own newsletters and monthly tips to send out with ease. The support team has been helpful when I have a question.

Cons

I thought I would see if I could get some feedback from someone else in my office if they could think of something they didn't like but his comment was " No, I quite like ACT!". If I were to suggest one thing would be when entering something on the History - Type I wish we could edit those categories.

Andrew from Camp Vista

e-marketing, marketing automation

I would pay twice if I will be able to go to previous abilities that ACT has

Pros

Act itself is as a good database software. Compering to previous version synchronized with Swift Page it has a better platform to create a template. There are other things you improve but for our small company we do not use them (like several times of sending same e-mail to one customer)

Cons

In Marketing Automation: - you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template - you can not send an e-mail from the template to one person (only to the group) - you can not sent an e-mail to lookup (every time you must create the group from lookup) - may e-mails is getting lost (in our 2 campaigns about 20% e-mails were not delivered) In e-marketing - you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template ****** In your previous version of ACT I was able to add fields from my database SAVE them in the template and send them to lookup without a need to create the group. ****** And your customer service ??? I believe you can do better work. For example - I wrote an e-mail to you about month ago - with totally no answers from you.

Response from Swiftpage

Replied April 2019

Andrew, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the new Act! Marketing Automation. Please email me at mbowers@swiftpage.com and I will escalate your issue. Thanks again.

Fred from Thomas D. Wood & Company

ACT! 19 much better than 18

Have been an ACT user for over a decade. Works well, but syncing with Outlook and Gmail has been rough. Version 19 is much better, but still needs some work. It would be nice if ACT provided tech support for the first 90 days without paying all the time. Also would like to see contact photos added as it is in Outlook.

Pros

Organization and logic

Cons

Syncing with Outlook and Gmail can be difficult.

Response from Swiftpage

Replied February 2017

Hi Fred, Thanks for your review! Did you know it is possible to add a photo to an Act! contact? You can edit your contact layout to include a picture field. Once this has been added, you can display any photo you like within the field. Regarding the Outlook email history attachments, there is an icon that looks like an envelope with a red X which will display in your taskbar if there are some emails which have been sent but not attached to an Act! contact. This is intended to notify you that these histories will be missing and will give you the option of manually choosing a contact to record them to, or creating a new contact from the info provided. If you have any further questions about Act! or are looking for advice, check out our Community Forums: https://community.act.com - Act!

ACT functionality in 2019

Functional software for contact and opportunity management that has been in use for over 20 years with a consistent interface. All contact management software requires a learning curve to effectively use the software. My consulting clients do not use the marketing component of ACT, so those features have not been evaluated as of yet. ACT has gone through a number of owners, and the current owners seem to be putting in the effort to keep pace with Microsoft Outlook. Quickbooks integration could still be better though, but cooridnating with third party vendors will always be a challenge.

Pros

Consistent interface through the years, reliable functionality and easy to resolve simple issues. Even in a small business, hosting the database on a consumer grade PC and operating system still provides a functional and fast connection. The ability to create an offline database that can then be synced with the master database is very useful for laptop users. Finally in ACT 2018/2019, the interface between Outlook 365 (aka Outlook 2016) and ACT! is finally more reliable.

Cons

The time it takes to create a large offline database seems way to slow. Some troubleshooting issues require support from ACT!. I strongly recommend a support plan with ACT!

Scott from SearchMaster Software

Solid and Reliable CRM Product

I've used ACT! in one form or another for over 15 years now, between several different companies, starting from when they were owned by Sage. ACT! has always been a solid, well-designed and well-performing product that puts managing customer's contact information, records and sales first and foremost. While some platforms have broadened their reach, ACT! has always stayed true to what they do well, which is manage clients and sales opportunities, which is what really makes sales.

Pros

ACT has been around for a long time, as has Swiftpage who aquired them. The software itself has continued to evolve and improve, but hasn't lost the overall feel it has always had. What I like the most is that they have cloud AND desktop platforms for those that might not need cloud services. They also have a large number of plans available, are affordable, and there are a good number of independent technicians out there that can help you with your data, and design third party add-ons too.

Cons

The recent change that does not let owners of much older versions of the software activate what they already own has me concerned.

May 2016

Darren from Evolution Marketing

May 2016

Best featured and Best value CRM for Small business

Firstly, I'm an Act! Certified Consultant and I sell and provide services around Act! and have done so since 2001. Although I'm not a client, I have continually had to make an assessment about whether Act! is the right product for our prospective and existing clients. My personal experience is that there is no single software product that is suitable for every business. If you are a big enterprise, Act! isn't the product you are going to invest in. For small business though it should be at the top of your list to review. Act! has a greater depth and depth of functionality for the price of any CRM software in the market for the small business users. If there was something that were better I'd be inclined to be offering it to our clients. Act! has been around for nearly 30 years and the many things that you are likely to want to be able to do, Act! just does. Many of the small, simple, day to day tasks will be made easier by your use of Act!. Act! is a product that you will hear many loyal and satisfied clients say that they Love and that they can't do without. Act! is easy to use and it's highly configurable. It excels in a MS Windows environment, so if you are running a server with some desktops and laptops it's an ideal solution. It will run faster than any cloud based solution. Act! comes with both a Windows and Web based access. You could have some using it on their desktop in the office, and others using it via the web browser. The Web version doesn't completely match the windows version for functionality, but the gap is closing. With Act! you can deploy it on your own server so you own and control your data. You can still have the advantage of a web based login but know that your database is in an environment you control. Act! has a range of excellent third party add-ons that en-rich it's functionality and with a new API in the latest 18.1 version there will be many more integrations between Act! and other web based applications. If I were to simplfy where I see Act! in the market it would be to say it sits in the middle of the basic cloud offerings like Pipedrive, Insightly, Highrise etc. and the full blown CRM's from Saleforce, SugarCRM and Microsoft. If you are an established business that is looking for a best in class CRM to work on your MS Windows platform and still provide good mobile and web browser based access then Act! is ideal.

Denise from Butler Evans Education

Product Great but Tech Support Stinks

I've been using Act! since the early 1990s, in three different industries. For the first industry, it increased my close ratio of willing qualified buyers from around 80% to over 95%. In the second and third industries that metric was not easily measurable because of long relationship lead times, but it dramatically assisted efficiency.

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility of design, reports, ability to track relationships across multiple contacts, and mass mailing abilities

Cons

Seems a little unstable at times for some features, and tech support is a game of Russian Roulette with perhaps one person in 10 who can troubleshoot a problem and fix it. The rest seem to be untrained, seem to have no analytical skills or trouble shooting abilities, seem to be reading off knowledge base scripts, and often make or recommend changes that end up making matters even worse. The product is WONDERFUL when it works properly, which is most of the time. But lookout for 2-7 days of downtime if you hit that problem that is too much for the low level tech support people.

John from Reliable Retirement Planning

"Get Your Act Together"

I am keeping my Insurance and Retirement Planning business running with it and I believe I first started using ACT in 1994. The basic functions that I use it for are easy to learn and use. I sure wish I would have had the chance to take courses on ACT, Excel, etc... while in college but when I graduated in 1979 there were no such things.

Pros

What's not to love? It keeps my contacts names, numbers, addresses, emails, etc... sorted. I can mark/tag them for different groups, find them, note them, write them, sort them... I can schedule me calls, meetings, to-do's with alarms to remind me. I LOVE MY ACT!

Cons

The only reason for the 4 stars is because this software will do so much and I being age 60 and not growing up with computers all thru school... I am probably not doing one tenth of what I could be doing with ACT and yet it is still a LIFESAVER! Without ACT, I would NEVER be able to keep my "ACT" together... lol. It makes me feel a little incompetent knowing there is SO MUCH MORE it could do for me if I knew how to do it.

Bruce from Specialized Applications

Using ACT!

I have been using the program for 15 years. I like that when I last upgraded I did not have to learn everything over again! Microsoft does this and I don't care for it. I use mostly the contact database. However, I expect to purchase another copy of the program because of a new contract that will have extensive telemarketing and reporting.

Pros

Cons

Some of the features I will never use and some of the features take some time to learn how to use.

Response from Swiftpage

Replied January 2017

Hi Bruce, Thanks for the review! For reference, we offer a wide range of help and support materials for Act!, and can advise on further training if requested. For new users of Act!, our Getting Started resource center is useful for learning the basics of Act! and getting up and running. https://www.act.com/resources/getting-started We also have a free online training library full of videos detailing many of the features of Act!. Visit this here: https://www.act.com/resources/feature-tours It's also possible to purchase training workbooks which teach the fundamentals of using and administrating Act! in detail. http://swiftpage.com/training/order-manuals If you need any advice on any of the help materials we offer, please don't hesitate to ask! Act!

Lloyd from Realty Executives Associates

Best Program

In my business, history is necessary. I have data going back over 25 years that is at my fingertips. That and along with the ability to design and set a drip system to my client base is a great feature. I am very happy with my ACT! program for my business use.

Pros

I have been a user of the ACT! program since I became a Realtor in 1990. It is one of the most versatile programs around. I am only using parts of the program necessary to run my business. It allows a comprehensive amount of information on each individual on record or family history. All activity is recorded in the history file for future reference. All Emails, letters and correspondence is attached to the individual for future reference. The groups that can be set-up

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about this program. It has all of the features that are needed to run a business. There are also features included that are helpful in record keeping and developing schedules for a smoother day to day operation.

Maggie from Terra Firma Industries

Industry: Wholesale

Act Upgrade and use

Has been a good tool for us as a small to medium business but beginning to require more functionality - support for the latest upgrade has been very intense and expensive

Pros

Elegant solution that works across a range of devices with possibilities for a range of integrations much more cost effective than the competition for small businesses

Cons

Not always well integrated with other platforms eg leadpages etc - needs an intermediary or requires support of an ACT consultant to implement many integrations.

Cost

Greg from Cal Sierra Insurance Services

Good and Bad

Since I've updated it's been 1 a headache after another. I kept ACT Bc of my familiarity with the product. But now I have problems with SQL servers not starting, lost a database, and have to pay for customer service? The Customer support guys do work hard to fix your Problem. But paying to fix a problem ACT created or overlooked seems greedy. So minus 2 stars. Also getting some of the reports is not as easy as it uses to be. I don't use all the features of this software but some of it would be great, but now redundant as I have other programs handling those for me. Overall it's just "C" maybe "C+" for me.

Pros

Layout and look. All the different features and uses.

Cons

Sometimes when I print address labels, it will go and grab the actual address instead of the PO Box. Also 1 wrong click and suddenly everyone connected with a company has that company's address. Also really had a hard time with Birthday reports. I just want 1 specific month, not everyone in random order. SQL servers don't always boot up.

John from The Christians' Writer

The Most Intuitive and Powerful Sales Tool You Can Have

I have used Act! from the beginning. With that, I mean from inception to today. As a sales representative, I became an expert user of Act! It served as the foundation for my success and gave me an unfair advantage over my peers. While my fellow sales reps worked harder and harder, I worked harder but smarter, winning every sales contest and breaking a few records in the process. As a Regional Sales Manager and VP of Sales, I used the science that Act! afforded me with while my competitors relied on luck. Now, as a consultant, I recommend and teach Act! as the foundation of a solid process. I have turned down consulting contracts because the client company did not and would not install Act! As a sales writer, published in such magazines as Selling Power and Life Insurance Selling, I have recommended and used Act! in dozens of articles and a few books. Act! is key to a successful sales career.

Pros

Scalability and ability to customize

Cons

None

Adrian from Special Waste Disposal Inc

Act Review

Sometimes the amount of data is confusing because there are so many programs to monitor. I would find it easier if there was a program attached the file explaining usage without having to call tech support.

Pros

I can track my customers and their email addresses.

Cons

The confusion with accessing customers.

Response from Swiftpage

Replied January 2017

Hi Adrian, We offer a wide range of help materials for Act!, and can advise on further training if requested. Did you know there is a help guide built into Act!? This can be accessed and searched by pressing F1 on your keyboard. If you're new to Act!, our Getting Started resource center is useful for learning the basics of Act! and getting up and running. https://www.act.com/resources/getting-started We also have a free online training library full of videos detailing many of the features of Act! Visit this here: https://www.act.com/resources/feature-tours You can also purchase training workbooks which teach the fundamentals of using and administrating Act! in detail. http://swiftpage.com/training/order-manuals If you need any advice on any of the help materials we offer, please don't hesitate to ask! Act!

Cody from Bavis

THe company has been using it for at least 10 years

THere are a lot better CRM's out there figure out what you are using it for and what you need and start shopping I could suggest a few but to me they are a bit industry specific.

Pros

seems very simple and we had a long standing relationship with ACT with the in house CRM. So we had a lot of our contacts already on board and it does keep track of contacts.

Cons

When I came on board about 3 months ago I suggested going to the cloud the idea was well recieved and I contacted act. We intially had some issues uploading the information some of which I will admit was my own fault. when I did the software lagged extremely bad. I contacted the company spent almost 4 hours o the phone (mostly on hold) the first time and then didnt get a call back untill about 9:30 that night. Then the trial was running out with out the issue being resolved I asked them to extend it while we tried to fix the issue they told me I had to buy it and then they would be able to fix it....

Susan from IMC Water Coolers

Poor Customer Service

Pros

The only reason I use this software is that I have used it for 25+ years, too embedded to change

Cons

The Company, the Pricing and mostly the Customer Service. How crazy is I have to pay extra to speak to someone in the US that speaks English. Appalling. The response time is poor. I requested a password change via email as it is set up to do because it would not take mine; never got the reset password email. I called the sales number thinking they would at least ANSWER the phone. He told me there was an issue with the reset email and customer service (which I pay an extra $480.00 a year for) can help... on hold too long, left a message for a call back.... waiting..... Years ago ACT was amazing, since the transitions it has become progressively worse. The Product itself is good, the sales people are nice. That is it. I do wish I had the time to research options and change, perhaps in 2021.

Louis from LionRT

Industry: Computer Hardware

Act! CRM gives our company what it needs . Ease of use which boosts our team's productivity output

We are happy to upgrade to ACT CRM for their cloud based services, for Act's collection as well as consolidation of our sales data for marketing use and for new business acquisition . Act has also become an off and online supplemental data base for our company.

Pros

We loved Act's flexibility and ease of use as each of our team members were able to use Act with their mobile devices and phones. Our team members reported that Act's updating process is quick, painless, and automated. In addition , their user interface was quite intuitive and made for generation of highly configurable reports in a timely manner .

Cons

We have found Act to be a solid and multi faceted CRM. However , we would love more tutorials on importing contacts for business use and referral. By importing we would value some kind of scan utility feature for use with cell phones and tablets. That said , once a client enters contact information , Act will make a connection and provide information regarding parent companies or further supplemental data. This feature proves extremely useful.

Reasons for Choosing Act!

We wanted Act as a separate CRM to provide a supplemental data base for backup and redundancy as well as for marketing purposes.

James from Knowledge Technologies LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

After user since version 2.0

I run an international consulting business with customers in Europe, the Caribbean, Africa, and all over English-language North America to the north of the Arctic Circle. I could not have built this 25-year business without ACT! In retirement, I am serving as a university professor. I have over 7500 contacts in my database. ¶ I served on the beta team (I actually loaded version 1.0 but it was not as good as competitors) when version 2.0 came out it was hands down better than what I had been using. I have updated act every year ever since! Service is great and good but available only during business hours specific time, I only wish it was available 24*7

Pros

Total ease-of-use and fantastic tech support.

Cons

Since my days on the beta team, I have asked that if you highlighted a phone number overseas it would tell you the local time of day and whether that was a business day or a holiday. Tech development teams have always said that is a fantastic idea dating back to version about 2.0 but it has never been implemented.

Julie from YMCA of the Rockies

CRM Database

This has been our groups database for over 10 years.

Pros

We can leave internal notes, create and save contracts, create custom columns for searching and organizing, can edit the format to fit our needs without consulting with the software company. You can see which user has done the work, assign reps and task other users and yourself. You can create separate databases for different functions, and assign a group under various levels (inquiry, quote, confirmed, etc.).

Cons

It's not very pretty nor modern looking, but it does the job. My computer has changed a couple of times since starting to use ACT, and with one hard drive change it was very difficult and time consuming to figure out how to change the text size within the fields, because it was tiny and apparently most monitors are huge now, so it was a big strain on my eyes.

October 2015

Richard from Kingsplay Pty Ltd

October 2015

Easy to use amd gives you fuill ownership of your data

Pros

The deployment options for Act! are more extensive than any other CRM on the market, your data is controlled in your own environment, can be accessed over the network, via Browser and remote devise plus remote synchronisation models for travellers where there is no internet (like on planes). Act! is also fully customisable to suit your workflow and business strategy requirements over which we have control at all times. Act! has improved our team collaboration, increased our sales through better process management and reporting Our team love using Act! as it is simple and easy to understand

Cons

Swiftpage have only had ownership of Act! for 2 years whereas Sage had it for over 10 years, I believe they have strong strategy on future development of Act! however there has not been a lot of change over the past year. We are hoping for improvements in browser support for 2016

Brian from San Diego Funding

Long time user

Despite the issues I mentioned above once you get it set up it is very reliable and I never run into issues such as crashing. It is a very stable program in my experience.

Pros

I've been using Act for 20 years and it works fine for most of my needs. I love that I can synchronize databases with my team members. It is also customizable so that the contact screens show almost any fields you could want. They do have a very good support site with very good walk-throughs to solve problems.

Cons

I know I'm not getting the most out of it or using it to its full capability, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with a lit of other applications where you would need to import your database. I have also found that (maybe because the database attaches to sql server?) it can be a little cumbersome to set up and get it syncing and it is very finnicky.

Gail from NAPPI International

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CRM

Pros

Considering the pathetic customer support, I would have to say - nothing! Our inability to reach Customer Support to resolve our conversion issue has rendered the CRM useless.

Cons

Our small company has been successfully using ACT for years and three weeks ago we moved from the server version to the cloud. Since we made the switch we have been literally "dead in the water" as some of our data did not make the conversion and we have been unable to reach anyone from Customer Support to help us resolve this issue even though we purchased the Premium Support Package . Last week our head of IT was on hold for 1.5 hours before someone answered the phone only to be told he had reached the wrong help line, was transferred to another help desk, was on hold for another hour before he finally gave up. This is simply not okay!!!

Eric from Coastal financial group

Good, I like the custom fields.

Pros

Custom fields. Ease of backup. I like that you can save multiple layouts. I do not like that the layout doesn't fit my screen using a typical new HD monitor. I either have to keep the type really small or thevtext gets very blurry. Syncing with iPhone - your app doesn't include all the fields. Every time there is a major windows update, ACT has issues. For many years I have asked for a couple of features to be added and was always told by tech support that it should be Easy to add, but nothing ever happens.

Heather from Dale's Remodeling

We Love it!

I think we would be lost without ACT! We have had it for 4+ years now and it seems to be the glue that holds all the information together!

Pros

Easy to input customer information. Easy to look up info. Print all our contracts and labels.

Cons

Recently started charging more. Meaning they now charge for each computer that has software running on it.

Sandra from Botelho Team Inc

Best Softwear that has Total Customization to Suit Your Needs!

Easy & quick access to all my contacts. Save a lot of time! The people that put this together thought of everything. Buy this program, you won't be sorry!

Pros

I love that I can customize the colors, font size, page layout, tabs and everything else! I have been using ACT for at least 25 years and think it has everything anyone would need, regardless of profession. It is easy to work with once you get to know some basics. You can make different templates that enable you to have different views and show different information. So many features! It works well with WORD and I understand it can be used with G-mail. Best use is with Microsoft Outlook.

Cons

I don't like the change you made for the left side of template. It is dark gray and I don't know how to change that color!

Brad from AOTA VAC LLC

ACT review

I am able to be much more efficient, effective, and TIMELY in the way I communicate with my existing customers and new prospects.

Pros

It DOESN'T forget...like I may. You have to be anal/have OCD to keep up with it daily and meticulously in order to receive maximum value. I am able to find names/accounts quickly; able to put together groups quickly and easily for mass email marketing campaigns, etc.

Cons

There have been several software bugs that I have brought to the attention of Swiftpage support staff over the years...but there is ONE that is still persistent and has not been addressed.

Reasons for Choosing Act!

Sales Ally was only available in DOS and no longer supported for the new WIN OS in 91/92 and they did not offer a WIN platform....ACT did.

Heidi from Cambridge Computer Services

Great Technical Support

Allows our salesperson to keep detailed notes on phone calls and customers of over 20 years. She loves using the software and relies on it every day. She has never lost any of her data in all of the years of upgrades.

Pros

My user had an older version of ACT! that she had been using on her laptop that was not compatible with the latest version. The support team was able to take a back up of her database and upgrade it to the current version free of charge and without any hassle. Happy User=Happy IT support team.

Cons

Hard pressed to find anything that I didn't like about the software. It has been a trusted application by one of our top salespeople since the early 90's. She has maintained her database of clients and partners through several upgrades and has always been satisfied.

Jeanne from Mannetron

Great until you need support

You need to put more Tech support people that know what they're doing to help those that have had this software for over 8 years!!!!! It's such a pain to get through to you for help.

Pros

Ease of storing, using databases once the horrific install and debugging is done. I really don't have anything else to say about the product.

Cons

Terrible, terrible customer support. No one answers the Tech Support line ever. If you call Sales, they give you 20 excuses as to why no one can help you. You might get an email from Tech Support telling you to do it yourself via links. Bottom line, sales people are great just don't look for anyone to help with debugging. The upgrades are often and every time you do an upgrade, you MUST contact Tech support because there are constant bugs

Richard from Synergetic Sales, Inc.

Act Review

I own a sales agency. My business is communication. Act is a great tool for assisting in communicating, I like the auto dialer, and storing records of my communication.

Pros

Everything in one place. It is great that Act integrates with Outlook so you can keep histories of email messages. You can add attachments such as quotes in word or .pdf form.

Cons

Can we get it to work with OneNote? I use OneNote for my to do's, quote follow up, etc. It would be great if you could link opportunities and histories using OneNote. I have issues using opportunities. It is really me that has the issue, not the software. Maybe if it was a simpler tool I would use it more??

Response from Swiftpage

Replied May 2019

Hi Richard, Thank you for the review! And thank you for the feedback - I will pass it along to the team.

Dawn from ANBC, Inc.

Great Stand Alone database software.

We use this software to keep track and service our clients. I would recommend this to those looking for a non-clunky database system to maintain clients and prospects.

Pros

We have been using versions of ACT! for about 20 years and were looking for an up to date version. The version we have now is more stable than any versions we have used in the past. We had been looking for another stand-alone version since the older versions were going to become obsolete . I have to say this version uses up less memory. A great buy!

Cons

Sometimes switching between databases causes the software to crash. It has been a problem with most versions we have used. I wish this could be fixed.

Reasons for Choosing Act!

Ease of use, former experience with the product.

Debbie from Embroidery & Ink

Long time user of ACT

Being a user of ACT for decades, I keep notes in my database to refer to later. If someone orders something from me years later, yup, I have their information. It's nice when I can ask how old their kids are now or if they still have the pontoon boat.

Pros

People think I remember lots of things, but I just put detailed notes in ACT and retrieve them when necessary.

Cons

Bugginess with Windows 10. I have never had so many tech support calls and need to upgrade my software since Windows 10 came in the picture! SQL Server issues, incompatibility with other software (fixed with tech support). I spent hours one day with tech support, another 3 hours another day and just decided to upgrade because they assured me that the new upgrade would fix my issues. So far, so good.

Tom from H & H Industries, LLC

Long Term ACT! user

I have been using ACT! since V.6. Presently I use V.18 on the cloud and synchronize it with Companion Link on my Blackberry phone, Android tablet and Mac Pro computer with Parallels. I depend on ACT! for scheduling appointments, contacts, email, keeping track of business opportunities, etc. Several time that I needed help from tech support and have always been very pleased with the availability and quality of prompt service. It is comforting to have this important information kept secure and readily available from anywhere anytime. I highly recommend the program and am willing to answer questions from prospective users.

Pros

Meet my needs and excellent support.

Cons

Have had problems configuring my display on Mac Pro when Windows updates my Mac running Parallels. ACT! support has always fixed the problem.