Browse MYOB Essentials Reviews

Katrina from Next Accounting Pty Ltd

Solid product for small business

Has been around for a long time. Tried and tested and is a great product. Starting to price a little higher but still competitive - especially if you have employees.

Pros

Easy to use and well laid out for the end user. Is great for small operations without complex needs.

Cons

Whilst bank rules are very handy - the auto reconciling of transactions can cause problems if rule set up incorrectly. Would be great if there was an option to make bulk transaction changes.

Joanne from Core Illumination Pty ltd

MYOB - easy to use, does what you need

Offers features that I need to do to manage the Company Financials. Support has been great and responsive.

Pros

MYOB is intuitive for the user to use, easy to use, simple to setup, has all the features you need to manage the Company finances. Also when regulation changes it quickly incorporates those changes and explains easily how to use the feature.

Cons

MYOB can get quite slow around EOFY - needs more grunt put in place around these times for cloud hosting. There is no live chat within the application for support.

Reasons for Choosing MYOB Essentials

Pricing and easier to use.

Michael from Wyatts Lawwyers

Industry: Law Practice

MYOB keeps us on track and informed

Pros

Ese of use, accessibility, features are simple, seamless integration, reporting functions, governance

Cons

None, it is clear and easy to use daily.

Lee from APS

The software is good for a small entity but once you grow and need more detail it becomes a handbrake on information.

For a small firm with limited reporting requirements it is okay but for any jobs with Work Breakdown Structure requirements it comes up short and becomes a limiter for the company. I get very frustrated with the after sales support system. It is not customer focused and leaves you wondering why you pay for it.

Pros

Good basic internal controls so novice bookkeepers can run day to day. Easy to install and set up. Reasonably cheap for what you get. Handles GST well.

Cons

Not the best for Job costings. Payroll system ordinary serious reporting drawbacks as far as information flow to the General Ledger. Tends to freeze in reporting production which can lock out users. Support service is very poor, you get the feeling the staff could care less in resolving issues. Interactive screen supports not used you have to send a file and wait for a response. Wait time on the phone for support is very bad.

Paul from GC Data Cabling

MYOB for Tradies

I had little to do with the software save reading my payslips and annual payment summary. These werre accurate and easy to read.

Pros

I received my payslips from the office and they were done on MYOB. They were easy to read and showed everything necessary

Cons

There was no app for my to use at the time to record timesheet activities. I had to make a google spreadsheet and email it. If I had an app then my pays would be uploaded and so less mistakes would have occurred.

Matthew from Volt Pro

Don't start your business accounting with a regrettable decision, look elsewhere!

Underwhelming to say the least. I was partially sold on the fact that they have a customer service number to assist if need be, don't be fooled by this either, the call centre workers are rather unfamiliar with the MYOB product (unless I was unfortunate enough to speak with their newest member each time) and all my queries had to be looked up each time and they read answers from a screen which I could find on-line myself , they weren't able to elaborate nor answer any further questions I had outside of what was written in front of them.

Pros

Reasonably easy to use but have found Xero to be much better in almost every way.

Cons

Limited features and limited expandability compared to Xero. No was to have a back up of accounting file on your computer. If or once you decide Essentials ins't for you, they do not offer a way to transfer to their own Account Rite product nor do they off to export data to Xero. They will give you 1 month access as a read only before all data is deleted off their server unless you pay $25 Per month for the remaining 5 years you're required to keep the data

Reasons for Choosing MYOB Essentials

The only reason I foolishly chose MYOB was because of their time and name in the industry and I knew someone else who used MYOB and found them ok at the time but who is also now in the same situation as me and wanting to change over to Xero.

Paul from Wild Rosa

Probably OK If you Are a Trained Accountant or Bookkeeper

We wasted a lot of time and resources using this software for our small business accounting needs. Whilst it did the job in the end we believe there are simpler options such as XERO for us non- accountants.

Pros

As a small business owner not trained in the art of accounting there wasn't a lot we found easy about using MYOB Essentials. The reporting process at the end is probably our highlight.

Cons

We found MYOB Essentials cumbersome to set up and use. The support team was basically of little help. Sending files to our Accountant at the end of the tax year was a pain. MYOB Essentials is better suited to those with a deeper knowledge of accounting than what we have in our business. That is why we switched to XERO which we find much easier and more efficient to use.

Reasons for Choosing MYOB Essentials

We chose MYOB Essential based on their reputation as a simple inhouse accounting software solution.

Joe from Cireson - Your System Center Experts

Manual System Converted into Digital

MYOB has changed the way we work, simplifies book keeping to take away so much pain

Pros

- Easy to signup and simple setup to get things started - Pricing - Special offer for new start ups - Invoice reminders - Invoice templates look very professional - Invoice shows when customer / vendor have viewed (SUPER HELPFUL) - Intray for emailing receipts and tracking

Cons

- Not being able to invoice in multiple currencies, have to workarond this by invoicing in the charable foreign currency then after payment is recieved adjusting the template to the local amount that is received.

Reasons for Choosing MYOB Essentials

Price and special offer for new startups

Reasons for Switching to MYOB Essentials

Made the switch from doing everything the slow manual way! Can never turn back now

Ivan from Leaf Market Brighton and Leaf Elwood

A Solid Piece Of Software

Pros

I have used MYOB for years, it's perfect for getting the job done, and easy to use.

Cons

Sometimes the ability to change or delete transactions is a little bit dangerous.

Great software, but too pricey for my needs

Good software with lots of useful functionality, but too pricey for my needs and too cumbersome compared to other options

Pros

MYOB will polished with lots of mine integrations and options.

Cons

There are a number of different portals with different purposes and I would get lost sometimes navigating the various sites.

Reasons for Choosing MYOB Essentials

I didn't choose it in the end.

Karen from Education

Sold a dummy!

I have been a business user of MYOB for other companies using bigger MYOB packages for over a decade and find it fairly good although it has serious bugs which are reported by the truckload by all the accountants I know and they are NEVER fixed even after a decade. Like how the excel file download makes all the numbers text and the "manual calculation" field is auto set meaning you have to reformat each and every download twice (format numbers and turn on auto calc) to use the spreadsheet to add up. Designed and run by non accountants

Pros

Nothing. completely useless. Doesn't comply with ATO requirements unless you have no employees and what business has no employees? Misleading advertising and advice.

Cons

I am a small business with single employee. Noting that one touch payroll was becoming mandatory next year I decided to put my accounts on a basic package to comply. I rang up and they sold me MYOB essentials telling me it would fully comply. After upteem dozen attempts to create a single employee which failed I ring up and they tell me well actually this entry level despite having all the menu structures and appearing online to do payroll does not do payroll at ALL and I need to pay almost double. I found the set up very very nonintuitive in its coaching. You start one entry set up the field, then it takes you away to a whole different menu you need to complete and then doesn't take you back to where you were. There are heaps of bugs and going online you see everyone else having the same problem.

adam from elk

not to bad...quit easy to use.

Customer service can be slow to respond. That said when you do get onto them they do know how to assist.

Pros

Simple and easy to use. A good range of add on products.

Cons

No real ability to grow with your business. Its really only suitable SME

Rani from kaiapo auto service centre ltd

Great software. Does everything we need it to do and more.

Great accounting, and always updating with new features. Our accountant could just log in and do our end of years immediately.

Pros

-Highly customisable for invoicing and parts inventories. -Has great reports. We found if you knew what you wanted to keep an eye on in the business, then you could design a report for it. Not all accounting programs or workshop software can do that so easily. -once it was set up for our workshop, it worked amazingly. Very intuitive

Cons

-We were new to this software, and it took a long time to set it up, (6 mnths), specifically for how we needed it to work. (automotive workshop), You almost needed to be a trained accountant i felt. -Support used to take at least 1 day if not 2 to get back to you.

August 2013

Daz

August 2013

Okay but . . . . .

We have been using MYOB accounting plus for over 10 years and recently upgraded to the new Accountright 2013. The new version is very similar to the old and this makes it relatively easy to adjust to. There was a bit of dancing converting 10 years of accounting data to the new format and eventually we got that done and away we went. The first thing that struck us was how slow it seems in comparison to the previous software. (MYOB Accounting plus v14). Data entry is not fluid and constant delays in processing. We contacted MYOB support regarding this and "they are working on the problem" so it appears it is a common problem. It is updated with the latest reports and payroll taxes and supposedly compliant with the ATO. There is a greater range of reports available but still the customisation options are limited. What you see is what yo get, give or take a field or two. The "cloud" idea is novel, but due to the speed restrictions it is of little real benefit. Payroll is the biggest change complying with the new regulations, and taxes, but unfortunately MYOB doesn't allow upgrading of the tax tables without paying for an endless subscription which equates to approximately $800 per year. Overall if you like the early MYOB and can handle the speed reduction then its an okay upgrade. If it wasn't for the reliance on MYOB data for the previous 10+ years and the swift talking sales rep that convinced management to upgrade, I would personally be looking at alternatives.

Pros

Compatible with earlier versions. Interface is very similar to previous versions.

Cons

Expensive for what it is! Slow!!!!! For small or casual use it MAY be okay, but for any real data volume, its just too slow. (Even on the latest PC) Relies heavily on the internet (could be cause of part of the speed problem) Limited customisation

Chris from NEW AIM

good value in terms of the price

Pros

easy to use ,A very easy to use and follow accounting software, the flow of information is easy to follow

Cons

I have been using the MYOB Essentials purely for payroll of a bout 10 employees. I find the customer service frustrating as it seems impossible to actually speak to anyone.

Arslan from Standard Chartered Bank

The Software helps me to evolve in my career my much .

The benefits are countless. I am really happy and exceptionally relaxed with using this software. By far, its the most reliable and efficient software that I have encountered.

Pros

The systematic features really helps to sort out the accounting issues. I am always leading the task upto the standards and mostly efficiently only using this specialized software.

Cons

The complications of finding a specific set of files is really hectic. I have to go through the whole bunch of files and reenters the balance whenever I have to made some ammendments.

Chris from Fox Refrigeration

This is great accounting Software thank you

I have been using this software for over 10 years it is a bit expensive but works well Especially after it went to cloud based

Pros

And I like if anything goes missing my computer gets Stolen or burns or virus then I don't lose everything because it's on the clouds

Cons

The cons are that it is too expensive for what it is

Kate from Synergy Fitness and Wellbeing Studio

Being in the cloud makes access to this program easy. It is user friendly and easy to navigate. The cost did increase quite a bit over the 6 years I was using it but it is pretty relative to other accounting software available.

Pros

This program is in the cloud so it can be accessed from anywhere that has internet.

Cons

You couldn't do a recurring transaction.

Adam from Modular Shades

This software is easy to use and organize. This software allows me to track and update information easily and in a timely manner

Pros

I like the dashboards that show the flow of information from beginning to end. Reconciling the bank is very easy to do as well as enter in new sales and purchases. It's also very easy to export data into excel if additional analysis is needed outside of MYOB.

Cons

Generating sales reports, P&Ls, and BS is a bit cumbersome. It would also be nice if it had a 'dashoboard' feature, like xero, that shows all the relevant information on one page. Having one spot to go to for most of the day's relevant information would be very helpful

Pam from Kent Instittue Australia

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Small business user

Good program for small business and very easy to fix mistakes but no audit trail

Pros

Easy to use and can have detailed accounts set up,at 4 levels Reports are set up so easy to use out of the box Great program in box

Cons

From an audit perspective not great as you can renter things without an audit trail No reporting flexibility

Nicole from Hays Recruitment

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

One of the top software for bookkeeping

Pros

I enjoy using MYOB simply because it does everything you need for a small business - sometimes needs more explanation with accounting though for new people.

Cons

glitches with POS machines is really the only thing I ever came across with this program, so not alot from a small business perspective.

Marilyn from Patton Albury

Processing

The background of MYOB needs to be updated to keep up with the updates

Pros

This software is easy to use . It has all the modules you need to run a small to medium business in todays environment.

Cons

Processing is slow and will freeze the screen Myob does not like large files which is a huge problem.

Mark from MKS Group Pty Ltd

MYOB Review

Pros

I like that it has been around for many many years, and the functionality has NEVER changed or been improved

Cons

The lack of development and modernisation of the product

Michele from Accounting

ease of use

Makes my work life convenient

Pros

Helps a lot with accounting work for clients. Myob essential version allows me to log in and work on in where ever I’m located (as long as I have internet access)

Cons

Only worked when there is internet access available, not available offine.

ELLIE from POWER-CAM (S.E.A) PTE LTD

Friendly user

To be more flexible on forms and reports

Pros

Editing and backup easy to manage and restore function for any error or lost of data to be fixed easily

Cons

Cannot customise report and limited on letters and character to be insert. Control on printing page is not user friendly

Karen from Nova Star

MYOB for business

Pros

I used MYOB a few years ago. At that time MYOB seems the only one which is capable of doing accounting tasks in Australia

Cons

I used MYOB a few years ago. At that time MYOB online version seems poorly designed, not suitable for multitasking

I would recommend it to someone say a professional bookkeeper, I found Quickbooks to be more user friendly for easy bookkeeping soultuons also finding Quickbooks a lot cheaper than MYOB.

Pros

Very detailed, Easy to add transactions.

Cons

I found the software was not very “user friendly” especially as someone who isn’t the greatest at Bookeeping, the terms (words) and navigation was very hard sometimes. I ended up switching to Quickbooks.

Kate from Auckland Property Management Ltd

Accounting software to begin with

Good for small business and do not need to worry about back up when you are using cloud version

Pros

Have most of the function and very stable software.

Cons

The platform looks a bit old fashion and payroll function is not easy to use.

'Kim's from Kim's A-Counting

MYOB Essentials

Keep clients complaint!

Pros

This product makes the day to day task of a business owner more professional!

Cons

the Cost of the software could put a few people off!

Jade from Centurion Temporary Fencing

Good basic accounts system

Pros

Simple in most cases to use and looks good, integrates with our hire software well , if any issues the help section normally answers the query so no need for customer service.

Cons

I have found it to be slow and sluggish at times, some of the processes are over complicated and difficult to understand/process.

Peter

Industry: Publishing

An industry standard, needs better support

Pros

This is one of the mainstream products available around and has a lot of users all over the globe. There is a great chance that your accountant is familiar with this and will be able to make great recommendations

Cons

Updates can be cumbersome and provided they work well they are easy to apply. I have had a couple of instances where we needed support and it has been very lacking. General technical support is poor with cancelled webinars and staff which appear not to know more than the most basic for troubleshooting.

Karen from Galerie Zadra

Mostly good

I've been using MYOB for many years, mainly to raise invoices and purchases, plus to track the P&L and balance sheet. It's a pretty robust product that doesn't need specialist instruction to use the basic functions, but it started getting pretty annoying when I upgraded late 2013 and now one has to be connected to the internet in order to use it. That means if your internet connection is down or you're out of WIFI reach on the road, you can't do anything with your company files. That's my biggest complaint.

Pros

Fairly easy to use; robust

Cons

You have to have internet connection to use your company files.

Daniel from QCA Surveys

Industry: Civil Engineering

Get your act together

works well when it does, is terrible when it doesn't with zero customer support!

Pros

Easy to use. If you have a computer, you can access everything

Cons

Glitch with reconciliation. You have to go back to the dashboard if you want to reconcile a different account (each time) have been trying to setup bank feeds for credit card for years. Have been unable to update credit card details or pay the bill for the product for 2 months. Very annoying to log into, nearly every time you have to log in two or three times before you actually log in. If you like waiting on the phone to talk to someone, only for the call to time out after 40mins or get put through to some white noise, again and again this is the company for you.

Reasons for Choosing MYOB Essentials

My accountant suggested it.

Nicola from Sootin up diesel

Very Simple and easy to use, lacking in a few areas but good for a small business just starting out

Pros

Very easy to navigate and simple to use. Search function for invoices is good now that you can see POs.

Cons

Wish it would export data to excel!! Had to manually build a database of 300 invoices! Too easy to go back and delete stuff too which then doesn't stay on the audit trail, once it's gone it's gone! Would like to see some detail from the invoice when it searched for rather than having to go into it.

Harinder from Galvanizing Services 2018 Ltd

Call center people don't know what they are doing or how to setup licence properly

Horrible experience so far with MYOB, time I have waste every day to get my MYOB going is beyond limit as I have other things to do.

Pros

Overall software is not bad but support team is not trained enough to sort out all the issues customer might have. I know my licence issue not been resolved from last two months!!!

Cons

I'm trying to sort out my licence issue from last two months but unfortunately it is still keep going. I have to spend couple of hours on phone to get it sorted and they assure it won't happen again but after couple of weeks and sometime every next day it stop working and keep asking for renew your subscription. I'm very much pissed off with support people as it seems like they don't know shit and I'm thinking to change to xero instead.

Simon from National Seniors

Pros

Basic Accounting functions for the new staff to use. Very good graphical user interface. icons are very clear

Cons

Poor budgeting modules when trying to incorporate different departments. Relies on internet with cloud service.

Marcus Maciej from Plump Design

The interface is ok but the customer service is terrible

Pros

I liked the layout of the software. It is generally easy to use. The colour palette and general design is quite pleasing to the eye.

Cons

It's quite expensive for a small business and of course they hide a lot of information before you purchase. At per month I could not enter more than 5 expenses per month! Ridiculous! Had to upgrade! Cancelling you account is very difficult and they will try and screw you out of every last cent. I will never ever use this company or software again. SO ANGRY at the account closing process. They might have stolen but it has cost them a customer and I will tell everybody I meet to avoid that software and company like the plague!

Annie from Dare Waxing and Tanning

Game change for my business

Pros

This software has made my bookkeeping so much easier, faster and even more accurate. I like when they change a function, that they teach u how to use it with little instruction pop ups.

Cons

I find that the dashboard figures aren't always accurate with my bank accounts. Sometimes the layout can be confusing.

Gavin from We Care

MYOB essentials before it was put on the accountright platform was excellent.

Mostly problems compared to the old software.

Pros

Payroll is ok it has some nice features on pay items but nothing the old essentials could do easily.

Cons

The list is far too long. The old essentials is excellent. All that needed to be done is have the option of reports it had be converted to excel rather than PDF. The decision to go to accountright will be fatal.

Reasons for Switching to MYOB Essentials

I was aware that account right was an awful product. I was told that this was a myob upgrade with improved reporting options. I was 3 to 4 months into the new financial year before I was informed that the current software is based on Account Right. MYOB have been working on fixes to my problems for months. Not one problem I found has been fixed. I think they unable to fix this mess.

Good software for offline accounting. you can work on Myob for all your accounting &and Bookkeeping

Good for accounting & Book-keeping offline.

Pros

Its functioning is good. You can easily get your Accounting data customized by preparing P&L account & Balance sheet

Cons

1. You have to take backup by your self no self backup facility. 2. Difficult to understand the reporting process.

Melanie from Singleton Hi Fi

Easy to use for Small Business

I've been using MYOB Essentials for about 2 years now. It's a simple system for a small business.

Pros

Great import feature for bank accounts (main bank accounts are available - some smaller banks are not able to auto import) Simple payroll functionality Easy account reconciliation

Cons

There is no simple search facility across the database - you have to enter each screen to perform a search Reports are hard to find and dates are

Denise from Tierra

Make life easier

Pros

I have been using the web-based MYOB since its launch back in 2012. The functionalities and the interface/look have been improved over the years. I like it because it is web-based, so I don't need to export the accounts and send it to our accountant, also be able to work on the same and updated info from anywhere.

Cons

The subscription price has been increased a lot over the years. I used to pay around monthly and now it costs around. So, for a light user, it's expensive. But well, I guess I pay for the convenience. The interface is not the most intuitive, but once it's learned, it's easy.

Travis from Accountant

Fun and simple to use for small businesses

Pros

Reconciling the bank, making invoices and categorising expenses is easy

Cons

There are a lot of desktop versions of MYOB and it can be seriously confusing trying to figure out which version you need to open when you receive and client file.

Sarah from MG

Industry: Law Practice

Great reconciliation and payment software

MYOB is used for all office payments, cheques, reconciliation and staff wages. Creates a one stop shop for all things payment related!

Pros

Easy to use interface with quick access to each area of the program.

Cons

Program can be expensive and costs per computer

Liam from GRIFFS ELECTRICAL

I really like using MYOB for my Business as it makes everything very easy and carefree

Pros

I like MYOB for my business as it is intuitive and it combines many different softwares. It is a 'one stop shop' for all my business needs which is what I need when I am very busy

Cons

What i like least about MYOB is that other softwares are more competitive in price. I stay with MYOB as I am used to the functionality off it and dont wish to change.

Ian from Auspres Marketing

Industry: Wholesale

AccountEdge support discontinued. MYOB recommended Essentials

Pathetic

Pros

After speaking to the sales lady I was impressed and once downloaded and data migrated it looked great. However the further I delved into it the more disappointed I became. Really the sales lady should never had recommended it. I've now wasted a week loading data to find that it 's not suitable for my needs. My big mistake was not taking a free trial first. Unfortunately I went on the sales ladies word. That word was worthless. Oversold and under delivered. It's a very basic accounting package.

Cons

Lack of features compared to AccountEdge for Mac. It's clunky and even difficult to find workarounds.

Reasons for Switching to MYOB Essentials

Because after many years of using the product and thousands of dollars paid to MYOB, out of the blue I receive a phone call from the MYOB sales consultant who said that MYOB will no longer support AccountEdge. She said that Essentials would be a good option for me and is easy to use.

Jason from Yarralumla Play Station

Ongoing extortion, third world support, buggy and terrible reporting

A can't imagine a business could do worse than this product, go elsewhere and save yourself the hassle.

Pros

It didn't fail on install... that's about it!

Cons

I paid for the full version of the software and not even 12 months in they are forcing me to pay for a subscription service as well! Having disabled single touch payroll for offline users they have made the software obsolete. Support is terrible and slow, you'll quickly get sick of the on hold music. Doesn't matter once you've identified yourself as soon as you're transferred you'll have to do it again. And the reporting is a waste of time (and paper), you can't even print a list of employees with their birthdays!

Mark from Cruise Gold Coast Pty Ltd

Industry: Maritime

Absolutely disgraceful back up service.

A very unprofessional company. I have been using MYOB for over 5 years and have found the service disgraceful. The service is the worst of any company I have ever used. They take forever to answer a phone call and quite often after waiting u to an hour for hepl, the phone is disconnectred. I need to call them agaion and try for help. I did not leave hoping for MYOB to improve its service. Also the work to find an alternative. Just now i spent 3/4 hour and they hung up after the wait.

Pros

Nothing. Very bad service. No service. The software was very hard to use. I accepted and learned more. No ease of use.

Cons

The complete usability and back up service.

Reasons for Choosing MYOB Essentials

I believed it would be a quality product and accounting software.

DAN from Financial services

Easy to use Accounting Softeware for SMB

I have used MYOB for many years and have not felt the need to change. We are currently able to solve all our accounting with the software. If the company was to expand then we would consider Xero instead.

Pros

I think MYOB is a good product and it does mostly what I need. It's very easy to do most accounting tasks. I do prefer the software versions rather than the Live/Cloud versions. though.

Cons

The customer service can take some time to get through to. and limited use of 3rd party payment gateways.

Kerry from Ke Aesthetics

Industry: Cosmetics

Easy accounting

I have used MYOB in different formats and found this the simplest and quickest to use and would recommend to anyone running a business.

Pros

Quick to use

Cons

Reports