(1,130)

Browse Xero Reviews

Showing -49 - 0 of 1980 results

Quratulain from QZ Consulting

Best in Multi-currency accounting for SMB

Xero was the best choice back in 2015 (when no one gave multi-currency) and still is in 2021 (when there are some who do). I have now added another company to Xero and cannot imagine shifting to another platform....ever.

Pros

With most clients abroads, we find its best to bill them in their local currency. Luckily for us, Xero is there to help sort our books out and keep them in order. It integrates with many bank feeds & popular wallets/fintechs like PayPal, Payoneer & TransferWise so accounts are upto date - always. Another feature we really use is their tracking fields. Xero allows users to setup 2 tracking fields that can be added to invoices, expenses, bills and assigned to each line. This helps us keep track of project based work and has been our way since before Xero ventured into Project based accounting (that users need to pay additional fee for) It also integrates with online payment gateways such as PayPal, Stripe, GoCardless, and a few others; thus payments are a breeze for clients. As a non-accountant, Xero is easy to use even when you get into all the features it provides.

Cons

They have made some changes to their UI esp where invoices and expenses are concerned. Luckily for older users, expenses are still free however, for new users it isnt and each person filing expenses on it needs to pay a small fee. I think it should be free for a small number of users (atleast 2) and then charged.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

There was no multi-currency in Quickbooks available. Bank feeds were also not there for some of the banks I wanted. For a similar price point Xero offered better features and a product that was easier to use for a non-accountant.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Freshbooks didnt give Multi-currency and it was causing problems with reporting

Mark from MKS Group Pty Ltd

Xero

Wow. Wow. Wow. I could state this over and over. Compared to other products, this one really excels far beyond any other similar product

Pros

Xero would have to be the absolute lifeline of our business. Each and every product they create is something that saves us time and adds to our bottom line

Cons

There is not much that I could state that I do not like about Xero - if I must state at least one thing, then it will be the difficulty in changing devices for 2FA

Reasons for Choosing Xero

There was no comparison to make

Reasons for Switching to Xero

There was no choice. Xero went full cloud and MYOB stayed static

Bonnie from First Executive Centre Ltd.

Xero - Overall Great Product

The benefits are the ability to have all our accounting record keeping in one place, and to get reports on any side of our accounting process with the click of a button.

Pros

Easy to use and provides all the information to run our business - from an accounting standpoint. What I like most is the ability to import bank transactions.

Cons

The feature I like the least is Fixed Assets. I find it confusing at times and cannot understand why we cannot attach a copy of the Vendor Invoice to a Fixed Asset file. Find this frustrating when we seem able to attach invoice copies to most other types of transactions.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Xero was recommended by our lawyer, and when tested seemed much easier to use and more advanced than our old program.

Ryan from Ryan Kagan Accounting & Advisory Inc.

ACCOUNTANT WARNING DO NOT PARTNER - I was 2nd partner in Canada not a smart move heres why!

Pros

Not much to say here anymore, they pretty much used to be good and totally lost faith.

Cons

As an accounting firm I would be very cautious with using Xero or recommending it to clients. Outside of Xero billing for things that were supposed to be free, which after complaining they claim they will reconcile but I had to threaten with a lawyer to get that reaction. As an accounting firm it is a very risky move to partner with the Xero software platform. As a firm Your clients will know your using Xero and as a result will likely start to follow Xero using social media. When this happen your clients will receive advertisements about other Accounting firms partnered with Xero. The problem isn’t that you will loose your clients, but this makes you look really bad in front of your clients that you are recommending a software that recommends other accountants outside your firm. This actually happened to me in Canada, and the response of the Canadian Xero team was simply that they didn’t intend on these promotions to be received by the clients of my firm. They didn’t care, they didn’t apologize, they didn’t even acknowledge what they did was wrong, it was evident that they prioritized their growth over their existing partners, at least in Canada. Even The Canadian director of Xero comments where limited to telling me ” I understand that you need to make important decisions in the best interest of your firm”. To me this was a clear message that he doesn’t care. As a small business the software was historically leading, recently, many clients are having issues logging in

Farhad from AccuraCast

Perfect Accounting Software - Nothing Comes Close

Xero changed the face of accounting for our business. It has made accounting work far less painful than it used to be. And the true cloud-based setup makes it so much easier to access from anywhere.

Pros

Ease of use - seriously. Nothing comes close. And trust me, I've tried a number of accounting software and they're all a nightmare to use unless you're an accountant.

Cons

Customer support could be quicker, and phone support would help.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

None of them were truly cloud based. All of them were horribly complicated, made for accountants and not at all user friendly.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Sage 50 Cloud was supposedly a cloud based software, but it wasn't truly cloud based, and it had all the legacy horrid pains associated with any Sage accounting system.

Rob from Debtline

Great Accounting Software

Great experience overall, never had any major issues. From the get go it was easy to learn and navigate.

Pros

Easy to use, Has great in-depth features for compiling company specific reports, managing channels and customers. Invoicing is a breeze, keeping track of invoices and bills is super easy and user management is also quite flexible.

Cons

I've struggled with forecasting using Xero so I have generally done this seperately outside the program.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Pricing and the fact that other group companies used Xero.

Deep from Transolve Global Pty Ltd

Industry: Wholesale

Xero if Xero hassle

I love it. The ease of setup, use this software has won my heart.

Pros

The simple and seamless implementation. As a Finance manage i manage a range of different type of small businesses. Xero is my go to software when selecting a new software, due to to is ease of implementation, user friendliness and ease or learning anything i need to fix.

Cons

Bank reconciliation and feed are a bit of hassle sometimes as there is not option to select between business vs personal account. Xero should be able to give option to provide feed for stand business vs personal login profile when setting up feed. Also to be able to select different account times like business loans, asset finance, etc. For atleast australian major banks.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

The ease of setup, use this software has won my heart.

Dmitry from Onix Inc

Simple online tool for accounting

We're using it every day for more than seven years and quite happy.

Pros

It works online. Easy to use and migrate from other software. Multi-user support. Relatively cheap. Mobile app

Cons

Not possible to get an answer from technical support to our questions. API is slow. No flexibility of your flow is different from one set up in Xero

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Quickbooks multicurrency support is designed inconveniently

Christopher from CSS Law Group, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Xero is the ideal accounting tool for emerging or very small businesses

Xero has worked out well for my new and growing company. The integrations have worked out well and the packaged reports fit my needs at this time.

Pros

This is an easy to use software that integrates with a number of other tools that a very small business / sole proprietor is most likely to use. It's ideal for a business just starting out and is priced well below competitors.

Cons

Growing businesses will hit a ceiling with this tool. The lack of customization will become an issue and the tradeoff between simplicity and costs will quickly reach its limit.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

I selected Xero for the integrations with other software and the bank I used along with the depth of services and price point.

Paul from GC Data Cabling

Xero used to send timesheets and view payslips

It worked good enough. About 7/10 I'd say. But the office was happy so I guess thats what really matters

Pros

I was an employee and me moved over to Xero from another accounting package. The app i downloaded to my phone was used to send in my timesheets so I would get paid. Before this I had to create a weekly google sheet and email it. This led to mistakes in my pay so the app helped me to be paid accurately.

Cons

If the office had not uploaded the jobs in time for me when I was inputting my time sheet each day, I could not allocate time accurately and I had to keep a different record until they had updated Xero. It was not very intuitive in use on the app and I could not create a template.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Not my choice. Apparently they were advised to switch by new accountants.

Leanne from CMTS

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Easy to deploy and use providing you have basic book-keeping knowledge

Solid and simple cloud accounting solution that is easy to navigate and customise. Great that our external accountants and legal support can access online as they need. Seems to be continuously evolving and its reassuring to see ongoing development of the product.

Pros

Customisable dashboard is a time saver and ability to customise templates helps with consistency for our company branding. Customisation of user permissions means the bonus of staff being able to enter their own expenses which is a further time saver. Being able to work across multiple currencies now is a plus, albeit I wish we could manually adjust exchange rates being used.

Cons

Many advanced features that are standard for longer established accounting software solutions are available, but as "bolt on" packages, so costs can escalate quickly if you need full "bells and whistles". Customer service response can be very slow compared to other cloud software providers we use - in the beginning they were responsive for engagement but over time they're clearly pushing all customers towards getting answers from their user community and/or through the Q&A section. I appreciate that customer service probably don't want to be wasting time with queries better addressed by professional book-keepers or accountants, but in our instance, as "advanced users", our customer service queries tend to be related to technical challenges with the product. It would be great of Xero could analyse the types of queries coming from their customers and perhaps have a priority helpline on offer for "low maintenance" subscribers.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Felt more user friendly, especially for team members who, at the time, had limited or zero accounting knowledge

Jenny from Uni and Jack

Helpful, user friendly and intuitive accounts software

I was reluctant to pay the extra costs to move to Xero from my previous cheaper package but I am more than happy that I finally made the switch. It is a fraction of the cost of having a book-keeper to pay and I feel so much more confident that my accounts are working correctly. The option of additional plugins aid the automation for syncing with software such as woocommerce and amazon, ebay etc. It is a shame that they are additional costs but I would prefer that I had the option to integrate than not, and they are great time savers, which is the biggest help for small business owners.

Pros

Xero has a lot of automated features that make the process of accounts preparation easy and reliable. The bank feeds work smoothly and it is easy to set up rules to make the process automated on regular transactions - just a click to confirm entry. I have been able to integrate woocommerce, amazon and ebay transactions to ensure I am correctly treating VAT and International orders and purchases correctly.

Cons

As with any new accountancy software, there is a bit of technical detail to get your head around but that is probably to be expected. There are good help articles that are useful for the set up phase.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

I felt it had been fully designed within the digital age in mind from the outset.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

I wanted a greater degree of confidence that my accounts were correct when dealing with complex transactions such as International sales etc. This was especially important due to changes with Brexit etc. I was also keen to be able to automate where possible to save time.

Monika from MVA Tax and Audit

Xero for Business

I am happy, can be connected with my clients all the time, can prepare reports anywhere, anytime. I think the price for South Africa is a bit high

Pros

I like the product is easy to use, no need high knowledge of accounting, the person who never was doing accounting can easily manage this product

Cons

there is still missing a few things as inventory shall be a bit changed as people with two inventories in different places can not have two storages, there are few things that missing and can make it easier to work with

more user friendly I think

Reasons for Switching to Xero

the cloud, it is an advantage to be cloud due to my work I am travelling a lot and if client need help can do it on the move

Judah from Fireside Bookkeeping

Solid platform

So far, it has been amazing. I have little to no complaints. Everyone that I have moved to Xero have told me thank you.

Pros

Xero is an accounting software that just works. I have used so many different platforms, and Xero has been the easiest and most reliable software I have found.

Cons

1099 reports are too limited. Tracking categories are too limited. Support can phone it in when you first reach out to them, but if you set up a time to chat with someone they are extremely helpful.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Quickbooks ethics and support was enough to drive me crazy. When you would call QBO support 5 times, you will most likely get 5 different answers and they will usually contradict each other.

Xero is an awesome bookkeeping solution for small business owners!

Xero is an awesome bookkeeping and accounting software solution for startups and small business owners. It is indeed a good match for business owners who know nothing about accounting in order to keep their books and to properly manage their finances. From my own experience, I found that Xero is very user-friendly and its accounting interface is streamlined, almost seamless, and uncluttered. The Demo Company is very useful as you can manipulate data without worrying about messing up vital information in your practice company. Xero’s accounting dashboard shows the snapshot of your business (i.e., bank balances and reconciling items, outstanding invoices, and bills, accounts on the watchlist, etc.) and fully customizable depending on your needs. Quickbooks had been the leader of accounting software for small businesses for quite some time but Xero is becoming more popular because of its competitive offering and value proposition. Xero’s starting plan is very affordable and you have the option to add-on some features depending on your need. It also offers a basic inventory and fixed asset management functionality in all of its plans, which is very cool! And the best thing about Xero is the unlimited users allowed to access the financial information.

Pros

- Affordable and cost less for startups and small businesses - Includes fixed assets and inventory management in all of its plans - Very user-friendly especially during migration or conversion of data - Allows unlimited users - Friendly 24/7 customer support

Cons

- Some countries lack a built-in payroll option. - Customized reporting options are still limited. I wish Xero can allow you to create your own report. - The contact list of customers and suppliers is mixed together and needs to set-up manually to organize.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Xero is more commonly used by my target market: New Zealand, Australia and Malaysia.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Excel and spreadsheets for bookkeeping and accounting become very hard to maintain over time and can be time-consuming. Additionally, it is also prone to errors and data corruption. Therefore, it is not sustainable especially if you are growing your business.

Craig from Ultimate Promotions

I can't wait for it to be finished!

It's a lot of money to get setup with a certified consultant. Very few consultants available in Canada. When we did find one she was great but she bills you for every second she works. As in not any free advice. My lawyer is easier to work with.

Pros

As a former quickbooks user of about 20 years, it was a big deal to switch platforms. At first glance it looked like it would do everything we wanted. I loved the price point, the interface and relative ease of use. The multi currency was great as was the ability to integrate with Stripe. You make a lot of compromises to save on the huge monthly cost of quickbooks but there are workarounds.

Cons

There are so many things that are just common/must have's for any business. Things like progressive billing, job costing and even the ability to make your own journal entries are missing. We had to hire a consultant and spend around $800 just to get it to add purchases easier to the mix with HubDoc. You see job costing catagories at the invoice level but not software or 3rd party app to back it up. The single most annoying thing about it is the support. It's non existent. You complain, They tell you its not a problem and ignore your requests. I struggle daily with the search function. I can't get about 50% of my searches to work. The clients I'm looking for are entered. I'm typing them in fine but you often have to visit contacts menu and find them manually by quote number or just never ending scrolling. Upon complaining numerous times the best they can do is say "it might take up to two weeks for your contacts to sync. " Xero: It's 2020 and the dark ages of cloud software have passed. You need to fix the search function and add job costing to be considered a contender. So here we are in 2020, manually adding each of our sales to a spreadsheet and adding the subsequent bills to it to see if we made $. They make it incredibly hard to contact support and they are quite unresponsive when they do reply to your ticket. They try really hard to push you to support forums, where there are literally hundreds of complaints on the same issue with the ability to comment closed.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

It had multi currency and the ability to API with Stripe. As an ecommerce firm selling in CDA and USA this is a hard thing to locate in the existing pool of apps.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

The pricing was ridiculous for a 3 person firm. Support was moved to India and was completely useless.

Sherm from invision studios llc | quality leads for local business

XERO reconciliation is an issue

Overall, it's a decent program, with all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a cloud based accounting program. Unfortunately working without being able to reconcile monthly made life too difficult. And not many accountants work with it, so that made it difficult to have professional eyes on my accounting.

Pros

I loved how easy it was to integrate XERO with my bank accounts and Paypal. XERO seamlessly connected and kept my balances up to date. I also liked how easy it was to invoice clients and connect invoices to Paypal or Stripe.

Cons

Unfortunately, the reconciliation process in XERO is a no-go for me. Rather than the Quickbooks and standard approach, where you do a monthly reconciliation against a bank statement, XERO had no such function. Once an item was matched up to a bank transaction, it was considered "reconciled." No option to close out a month and double-check transactions. I went back to QBO to get that feature.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

I wanted better connection with online banks. At the time, XERO performed that better than QB. I have since switched to Quickbooks Online.

Chris from Bookkeyping

A leading software in it's industry

A beautiful piece of software that turns a once tedious chore, into an easy and intuitive process. I always recommend my clients to use Xero (if they can afford to) as I believe it makes the workflow much smoother and simpler for everyone involved.

Pros

As an accountant and bookkeeping business owner I have been using accounting software for well over 10 years. I have to say when Xero entered the market I was definitely curious as to what it could bring to the market. I believe Xero have captured a very nice niche of the industry with it's very business orientated user interface and simplisitic feel. It makes accounting somewhat fun for the business owner. The way that they have revolutionized the way the bank reconciliation is performed makes it easier for buiness owner and accountant/bookkeeper to work together. I love the comments functionality and the rules that can be set to repeating transactions. The AI in the bank reconciliation also has a very nice balance to it. It will allocate your transactions when you need it to, but not too aggressively - meaning you don't have to undo all the automatic allocations (unlike some other software like MYOB). They also have a lot of resources to help business owners and financial professionals. In addition they make continual updates to their software to adapt to the times.

Cons

I think the biggest con of the software is the price tag. Many of my clients have found this to be a stumbling block, saying that the monthly subscription fee is too high for their business. Other than the price, the only other con is the support is only via email (this is the last time I had an issue which was a few months ago). They do not have a support contact phone line (in Australia at least) - so response has to be via email (which may lead onto a call later if it cannot be resolved by email). Which takes longer to resolve the issues.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

As mentioned above, I prefer the functionality.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Functionality was much better and robust in Xero than in MYOB.

Gene from Hentschel CPA, PA

Accounting Software Design for the Business Owner

Xero give me, an accountant, a tool to provide my clients with that effectively gives them a tool for keeping their daily records in an orderly fashion make my job easier at the end of each month.

Pros

Xero have been designed to be used by non-account business folks. However, once the data has been listed an accountant has a great tool to use to finish the company financial records (Monthly, Quarterly & Annually). It is also priced at a rate that works for most business owners.

Cons

I really do not know of any areas within the software that I can list as "Least" liked. I do not know of any significant problems which I believe need correcting.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Because of its design for the business owner.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

I found Xero to be better designed for the average business owner at a lower rate.

Adam from Consult and Design

Absolutely love Xero

Xero has allowed us to get a real, detailed view on the financial situation within our company from one place. With a comprehensive setup, it can provide real value from day one.

Pros

Xero has transformed our financial management and provides us with all the real time data we could imagine, and where it lacks, integrations take over. While more "accountancy" friendly than some of the more simple products, once you work with your accountants to get this right, you won't regret it. The detail, features and holistic approach to managing company finances means that we are using this every day and with pleasure.

Cons

The interface is being updated, and it is needed as it is a little old fashioned in its design. That said, it is clean and clear and otherwise we love everything about Xero.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

FreeAgent was a little too simple and too many things were "locked in". We have much more flexibility and a wider range of integrations with Xero.

Paul from Wild Rosa

Super Simple Accounting Software for Small to Medium Sized Businesses

As a small business our main priority is to keep our monthly book keeping tasks simple and quick. Since moving to Xero from MYOB we have found a significant reduction in our book keeping time input. We are NOT accountants or book keeping experts and Xero as an accounting system has definitely made this part of our business much more efficient. We are guided by our accountant as how best to use the software and have been able to develop a simple client - accountant relationship with Xero being the main conduit of information between us.

Pros

As a small business we found Xero to be a simple and very cost effective solution for all our accounting - book keeping needs. Xero is very easy to set up with your accountant and reduces the time you need to spend on book keeping tasks each month. With automatic bank feeds the time we need to reconcile our accounts each month is minimal. The audit trail features mean any issues that arise can be quickly found and fixed. Being able to notate any transactions enables our accountant to quickly respond to our queries. As a small business keeping our external accountant costs down is very important to us and by using Xero means the time our accountant has to actually spend on our accounts is less and therefore so are the invoices we receive from him!

Cons

Some of the automatic accounts Xero suggests you reconcile to are not correct so it is important to double check each transaction before reconciling. We had issues setting up some of the automatic bank feeds and still have one bank account that will not process the feeds so we need to enter those transactions manually. When uploading a file of transactions we also had some issues and found it quicker just to manually enter them into the software.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

N/a. We were using MYOB and on our accountants advice we made the switch to Xero.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

We found MYOB to be very time intensive on our part. As non booking experts our accountant recommended we make the switch and set up automatic bank feeds which we did. It has improved out book keeping efficiency tremendously. It has also saved us money in software costs and we don't need to be constantly ringing our accountant for help in reconciling transactions.

Kathryn from Splendid Colors

Affordable professional level accounting software for small business

It's been easier to use Xero than I expected, but I had a nasty surprise at tax time when I realized the default accounts/descriptions for expenses did not correlate 1:1 to IRS categories. (I should have checked this more closely when I set up my accounts because it's a New Zealand company, and the previous product was local.) This means I will need to double-check all my transactions for 2018 and the IRS has my vastly overestimated tax payment until I can do that and file my return on an extension. I've had a much better experience importing data from financial institutions because Xero uses a well-known importing service that is trusted by the institutions. I like being able to match multiple invoices to bank deposits because I usually don't run to the bank for each check. This will be more valuable as my company grows. I should probably find an accountant to assist me with this, but I haven't found an accountant who understands both craft businesses and Xero.

Pros

Professional double entry software at a very affordable price Accommodates both cash and accrual accounting Links to financial institutions to get transactions Uses standard importer recognized by the financial institutions instead of just trying to log in remotely (and triggering fraud alerts) Can match multiple invoices to a single deposit transaction imported from bank Can keep using Xero as company grows

Cons

Pre-existing expense categories/descriptions don't map 1:1 with IRS definitions, so I'm having to go back to all my receipts to make sure expenses are entered in proper accounts because I didn't realize this when I switched More difficult to focus on specific expense categories to check transactions Have not been able to import historic data from previous app (possibly because it's not double entry) so I am still paying the subscription on that software to retain access to my data No integration with Craftybase, so I have to enter supply purchases and customer invoices there independently

Reasons for Choosing Xero

QuickBooks introduced a special product for Etsy integration, but early adopters had problems with data disappearing and no way to recover it. Otherwise, the cost of QuickBooks to cover the same features I use in Xero would have been very expensive; even a QB consultant told me it's overkill for a business of my size. I forget which other products I looked at, but Xero was recommended by several owners of similar businesses.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Outright depends on importing data from financial institutions but they were extremely unreliable (apparently they don't use a standard importing service and my credit union kept flagging them as hackers for remote logins) and customer service kept giving me the runaround. It also isn't "professional" double-entry bookkeeping and can't be audited. Outright can't handle Cost of Goods Sold properly and requires manual workarounds. It can't generate professional reports needed when applying for loans.

Anna from Solutions and Services

Xero makes reconciling fun

I use Xero in two roles in my life, one as an employee and the other for the accounting software for my husband's business. In my work New Zealand schools use this software as it is relatively easy to learn, quite intuitive and uses cloud accounting, enables document uploads for accountants to view etc. Once well set up it is also fast to use on a day to day basis. At home I assist my husband to reconcile our business transactions for our accountant. We don't have to go in to the accountant's office or email invoices etc as we can upload them to Xero for him to see. You can set up the dashboard to get an overall view of your business and how much money is owed to you, and bills you owe, how you are tracking month to month, and the balances of your accounts you have linked to Xero.

Pros

I like the ease of reconciling because once you get set up and code a few items it remembers them for next time for a faster job (you still have to check them to see if they are correct first). I find it fun and satisfying to reconcile in Xero as it is quite visual, you see several lines waiting to be reconciled and then as you work through the transactions, coding them and clicking on the middle button, they disappear. Setting up bank rules is also a huge benefit, as they get coded automatically, ready for you to just hit the green 'ok' button. You can use this for your usual bills for example, electricity bill, local cafe, cell phone bill, internet charges. Although it does take time to set bank rules up to make sure all details are accurate, it saves time in the long run. I like the fact that customers can upload documents into the files section of Xero and their accountant can see these documents immediately to work on them or code them. I also like the search function as you can search for a particular number, or the first few letters of a name or business to find relevant transactions. Being able to generate invoices and email them direct from Xero is great as it saves time.

Cons

It is not the software's fault exactly, but because reconciling is so easy there is a temptation to accept what Xero suggests for a transaction and reconcile to this account, instead of pausing and really checking if the code is the best one. Xero is first and foremost a business accounting software, so the reports it can generate may not be exactly what other users of the software need, like schools for example, who may need a Xero add-on to get what they most need in regards to reports.

Xero truly puts powerful data in the hands of small business owners

Pros

I have been using Xero for a good number of years now and can only recommend it! The usability is fantastic, the ability to see really clearly how the accounts work is groundbreaking in its field. I love the bank reconciliation and the bank feeds. The automation of data is actually fun and linking it into the add-ons can make life a lot easier and save time and money. It is a great way to keep things simple and clear. I love the advisor features, that you can't break it (although you can make a real mess if not careful). For me the biggest benefit is the clarity of the data and the ability to drill down into virtually anything. Don't use Xero in super complex scenarios and I would recommend that you employ a proper XERO accountant - who actually knows how to use Xero and uses the data when using it though or you will end up paying twice - once for entering the data to xero - and again when the accountant pulls it out into their own software. Overall I would absolutely recommend Xero for people who are more serious than working in spreadsheets but who are turning over £50k-£3m+ with a fairly simple process.

Cons

We have found that Xero does not work well in all scenarios but there are work arounds - the bigger the business and the more complex the processes the less it suits but then if you are bigger/more complex you should arguably be using something else! Support is not awesome! It can take time and you are often met with unhelpful suggestions. There has been an increased number of 'blips' in the software in more recent months and the support has been almost useless in those cases and I have had to find workarounds. Conversation/instant message support should surely be on the cards? Another thing that I don't like is the highly evangelical nature of the conferences! It borders on the cultish and if you are not 'in' then you are definitely 'out'! I have not found there to be any benefit to being on the 'directory' for that same reason.

Great, intuitive and easy to use bookkeeping software, lacking for accountants, NO customer services

It is so easy to use but support has to come from Accountants who are not customer service or techies and who are not adequately compensated for their efforts. It is enjoyable to use and definitely does the basics very well.

Pros

For bookkeeping, small and medium-sized businesses this software is a dream. It is the most intuitive and easiest to use of all the accounting software that we reviewed. As an accountant, it is easy to fix user errors and mis-postings. There is a proper audit trail and safety checks built in. There are so many time-saving features like find and recode, repeating bills/invoices/journals, bank rules. The move toward AI is exciting too.

Cons

The reports aren't GAP or IAS compliant so it is no good for reporting, final accounts production or tax. To get accountants interested and recommending Xero in the early days, they promised accountants that Final Accounts Production and Corporation Tax software was in their development queue but it never materialised and they burnt a lot of bridges with accountants when they announced that they had dropped FAP plans. This is why Quickbooks are getting such a big foothold and stealing market share from Xero. The software is expensive for what it is and you can get a lot more and better for your money with FreeAgent and QuickBooks. The biggest let down for Xero is that there is no telephone support, at all. Not even call back. You have to email and if you are on the opposite side of the world from New Zealand, it can take a full day to get an inital response and if there is any misunderstanding or info required, it can take days to get your problem resolved. This is really useless and a deal breaker for serious businesses. Another major failing in Xero is the number of times that the Bank Feed just doesn't work. This is outwith Xero's control and so it can often take months to resolve. This is amateur and best and negligent at worst.

Paul from Bishop Toomey & Pfeifer

Xero - Leading the way to making accounting much easier for small businesses

I have been a Xero certified advisor for 8 years and actually returned the accounting profession because of Xero after deciding to leave because I felt the industry didn't understand delivering value to clients. Xero has been a catalyst for increasing the speed of change in the industry towards a value proposition model. Although like any system success with does come down to using it properly and being prepared to spend the time to understand how it works and to make the most of it, but Xero has been built so intuitively and they have

Pros

Great design, intuitive, great support files and videos, invoicing features are very good, being able to add files to transactions is a big time saver, the fact that it is a full accounting system is great in its price range, although for more complex features you may need an add-on application for example full stock management and stock control.

Cons

The way the contacts database has been developed could be improved to make importing and exporting data easier, that has improved recently with the addition of client codes field. Also greater flexibility of controlling features a user can access would be great.

August 2016

William from Aeona

August 2016

The best at what it does

Full Disclosure: I am an accountant and I recommend Xero to many of my clients. When the expectations are in alignment with the capabilities of the software, then everyone is happy. People get into trouble with ANY software when they jump in thinking they know what it does and are then disappointed. All accounting and ERP software has limitations and Xero is no exception, but what it does, it does well. It provides payables, receivables, bank reconciliation and general ledger as its core functionality. There is a very capable estimating/quoting/order/ process that ties into AR invoices smoothly. But, the requisition/purchase/inventory side is very, very basic. In fact there are no requisitions and the purchase orders are so limited that I recommend you not use them. The inventory is only what is needed to make the sales side functional. So, if you need strong inventory support, you have to use a third-party add-on designed just for this purpose.

Pros

What is good about Xero are 1) Real-time bank feeds and bank reconciliation - this is what scared the pants off of Intuit and forced them to develop new functionality. 2) Xero fully embraces and enables third-party developers to provide niche solutions that have rich interaction with Xero. 3) The features keep getting better and better quarter after quarter. 4) Perhaps my relationship as a partner skews this, but I've had nothing but excellent support from Xero. I can call someone if I have to, but I almost always get issues resolved through technical support in a timely fashion. Some of my favorite add-ons for Xero are GeoOp for field services, Deputy which integrates its scheduling, time and attendance functions with Xero payroll, and Float which projects cashflow. The new reporting and the tags are fantastic.

Cons

There are some features I would like to see "sooner," but they are on the roadmap for "later." People jump on Xero because of the price without having a Xero consultant evaluate their suitability for the application - that can create an expectation gap, and that inevitably leads to an unhappy customer. I just hate it when people let their wallet do their thinking for them and then blame the software because it "doesn't do enough." The payroll is fine. I spoke to the VP in charge of payroll development and he is all about improving the functionality, so it will continue to improve. What is there now is very well designed to be comprehensive and flexible, but there are situations where a third-party payroll like Gusto will make more sense for your organization. They are the first ones to suggest you look at solutions like Gusto, ADP, Paychex and others that integrate seamlessly with Xero. It is annoying that the tags are limited to two categories, and this won't be revised until they have their design for job costing completed. No word yet on when that will be.

Kristen from Let Us Compost

Fantastic! I finally have the tools from Xero to drive my company to its greatest potential.

Understanding the numbers! I'm finally educated about my own business, which sounds ridiculous, but so many business owners are creative dreamers that never look at the numbers. Even ones that are successful don't look at the numbers because they feel like it's not necessary - and that's the biggest lie in the world. It's so easy to share the reports with people at all levels in the company, and I feel a fantastic sense of control with the numbers because of Xero.

Pros

Cloud availability, choice between manual or automatic accounting, incredible reports, easy to print, beautiful, fun to use, don't have to be an accountant to use it, fantastic break-down of categories and overhead vs. cost of goods. Shows great percentages - growth overall, percentage of sales per category and percentage of expenses per category - easy to understand the nuts and bolts of your business with Xero and make quick changes to your business model when a problem arises.

Cons

Balance sheet leaves much to be desired - harder to figure out than the rest of the software and difficult to understand in conjunction with the profit and loss. It's not possible to see a comprehensive financial picture - perhaps what makes it so great for non-accountants is its simplicity makes it hard at times to get into the nitty gritty. The billing aspect of Xero is atrocious, just really, really bad. Invoices on "repeat" stay in a strange ticker until you command them to be sent, it creates a lot of problems. Definitely have a separate billing software if you use Xero, especially if your clients are on subscriptions. I wish it integrated better with a growth planning tool - integrates with CRMs fine but doesn't help you look into the next couple of years, or present a future picture to investors.

Karim from Unigraph Limited

One stop Accounting solutions for Small to Medium organisations.

Pros

- Brilliant design and straight forward full accounting system yet detailed enough to allow user to create management reports. - It allows direct bank feed letting the book-keepers not to worry about importing bank statements and processing detailed bank reconciliations. - It also integrates with third party softwares to import direct feed which helps automation possible helps save time. - It also offers partner programs for external book-keepers and accountants to work on different client books which is a new features other softwares have failed to offer. - Great price.

Cons

- Payroll function is capable to deal with straight forward payroll matters. when dealing with complex calculation, Xero seems limited in its functionality. - The tracking categories are limited to only two lists. It would have been great if it would have had an option to increase the number of categories to suit individual need.

Louis from Blaucomm Ltd

Good Accounting Software, but lack decent reporting and live chat support

We switched from QBO to Xero due to several issues with QBO. However, the migration to Xero is clunky as you have to use a middleman called MoveMyBooks - Xero will pay for up to 2 years books to be moved but any more you must pay. But, things like Employees, Payroll, Expenses etc will not be migrated so you end up spending weeks manually (Yes, Manually) created Expenses yourself all over again in Xero. Very painful and cost my business thousands for false advertising a simple switch,

Pros

Easy to use, easy to input data and there's often little popup boxes to explain what elements are. It's cloud managed, so no need to download any software or store anything locally.

Cons

Support is a bit, there isn't a live chat support like there is with competitors and it lacks the aesthetics of products like Quicbooks and the same level of reports.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Price was similar to what we paid already.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

QBO kept having issues syncing with PayPal and Barclaycard, and kept creating issues where it would crash online. Furthermore, QBO had such a clunky and horrible method of documenting a refund - everything felt abit like a longwided work-around - nothing was really designed to just work.

Becky from Monster Studios LLC

Xero is an easy and economical replacement for Quickbooks

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the Xero sales rep when determining if I would switch from Quickbooks for Mac (because they decided to no longer support the version I was using). I was trying to decide between Quickbooks Online and Xero and in the end, Xero won. Their price point was spot on and they offered the features I needed without being overly complicated or fancy (I am not an accountant and do not enjoy the bookkeeping / accounting aspect of my business). Xero makes it easy to manage my cashflow, expenses and revenue quickly and easily.

Pros

Xero offered a payroll option that was not expensive and easy to use. That combined with the ease of use and the cloud-based accounting is why Xero is my go to choice for small business accounting / bookkeeping. Being able to connect your bank account with Xero and import transactions makes it much easier to keep your books up to date. I used to wait all month before entering my transactions into my checking account and it became a big pain in the butt. This is so much easier!

Cons

The fact that you cannot have more than one business in your Xero account is a real bummer. I happen to have more than one business but I'm not willing to buy a subscription for each business. I use one for my most active business for now. Also, if you don't have payroll for awhile, you are no longer able to submit your tax forms as they are not generated, even though I still need to submit them to the taxing authority. There is also a headache when it comes to adding in credit card processing fees to invoices for accurate cash accounting. It's awesome that Stripe is integrated and payments are automatically marked to their appropriate invoice, but to get the fee out of the invoice I have to delete the payment, edit the invoice to include the fee amount, and then add the payment back in.

Karen from Nine Advisory

Xero or MYOB?

Xero & MYOB. I love them both - for different reasons. If you're a MYOB lover, do not be afraid of the transition. Simply view Xero as different and you'll be fine. Don't expect to find things in the same dropdown tabs - as it's a different set-up. Once you're familiar, you'll love the ease of use. Very user friendly, not overcrowded on your pages with too much writing, easy to see information (card files for clients) all on one page - very easy to read and find the information you're after. Give Xero a try - I know you won't be disappointed.

Pros

Love the ease of access. We have a team based in Australia, India, & South America - so the online platform is brilliant. As a previous MYOB user (& lover of MYOB), I was surprised with the ease of transition from MYOB to Xero. I also really enjoy how easy it is to link client card files noting the company directors, primary contacts, banking details etc. Very easy to view all the information in one place! Love being able to send the BAS' from Xero as well with a click of the button, and being able to modify & tweak great templates is a MUST.

Cons

One thing that is very challenging, is if the Xero team are not getting back to you as promptly as you need, there is NO phone number to talk to someone. This (for the accounting industry) can be a big let down at times. Normally, the Customer Help is very prompt. Still trying to find an adequate solution so that if I upload a file in my XPM, the rest of my team can view these files. Despite trying and following Xero's suggestions, my team members are still not able to view the documents I've uploaded. We'll get there in the end I'm sure.

Hugo from Truebooks

Intuitive and simple!

We love it so much that we decided to become a Xero only bookkeeping firm. Virtually all clients we switched from other accounting software felt in love with Xero

Pros

I don’t have an accountant background and figured out how to use Xero right away. It’s very intuitive and logic. The reconciliation of transactions is so easy and Xero has featured that allows you to be very productive. Reporting functions are very diversified. The Xero team is very supportive and collaborate with all other app/software companies to support easy integration and customer experience. Xero integrated with over 800 other apps which gives our clients ta to build a complete system without having to duplicate transactions.

Cons

Unfortunately it is not very well known in North America.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Much more intuitive and natural. Accountants appreciate Quickbooks, Entrepreneurs thrive for Xero!

Brent Lionel from 2for1 Virtual Experts

I used Xero for reviewing clients' invoices and checking our collectibles.

Pros

I used to be the marketing and accounts assistant for Expert360, and use Xero together with our accountant based on Pakistan. Xero makes it easy for us to send an invoice to our corporate, medium and small business clients. It allows us to view the overdue invoices, which enables us to follow-up on those payables. We were able to see the money that we had collected and the money that still needs to be collected. It also allowed us to track the payables to our consultants. Over all, Xero is an easy-to-use accounting software. It's user-friendly functions and features allows you to instantly view the cash flow of your business.

Cons

One thing that I noticed on the platform is it doesn't allow to create multiple entries from one company. Like we have client A and they have lots of projects with us. We wanted to create like client A1, A2, A3 in the contacts info so that we know who's the one in-charge for each project. But our accountant told us that it would appear in the invoice as client A1, A2, and A3 in the invoice instead of just client A only. He said it would create confusion on the person in-charge for the payments since it's not their usual company name. We contacted Xero about that and they said they will work on the feature and hopefully it will be added in the future. Where you can entire Client A with someone as the contact person and Client A with someone as the contact person. The last time I know you can really just create one contact entry for each client.

Ray from Stellar Endeavours Pty Ltd

Overall great. Recently, shocking!

Pros

Overall, it's a good product. Easy to use. Simple UI though quite dated. It does everything we need it to plus more.

Cons

Until recently, there wasn't much I didn't like. I probably couldn't name anything, apart from the somewhat dated UI - but that's a stretch. Recently however, Xero have taken a core feature (Expenses) and starting selling it as an add-on, on top of the monthly subscription fee. Expenses as you may know, and would expect, is 'included' in the monthly subscription and formed part of the core software. There was no additional charge. They've recently updated the Expenses feature (which they should be doing anyway) and now believe that because they've updated it, that warrants it being pulled from core and sold separately as an add-on. As a current subscriber, I signed up for the all inclusive package. Having features ripped from the core package and charged for in addtion to the monthly subscription is not on. Especially when no discount or reduction of the monthly subscription cost was offered. As a SaaS provider, any and all future updates, regardless of how big or small they are, should form part of the monthly subscription. Choosing an accounting package is a big decision and once you're committed, it's difficult and often costly to change. With Xero now employing this kind of model, I'd caution anyone considering Xero to think again, think hard. Today it's Expenses, tomorrow it could be something else. These disgusting tactics employed by Xero are unacceptable.

Andrea from QATSICPP

Easy to Use package with lots of addons

Overall, with the available add-ons, it has significantly reduced our data entry time

Pros

Integrates well with adds on to provide more sophisticated reporting. Integration with AI products such as ReceiptBank and Approval Donkey also work well.

Cons

The project reports are not particularly good. There is more information in the project tabs than what you can obtain in the report which is disappointing.

reputation, experience

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Integration with other software, employee portals

Bill from One Hope Canada

Software made for the cloud

We love the intergrations with other cloud-based software that is a feature of Xero; the bank feeds make reconcilling a quicker process.

Pros

I love that Xero was designed from the ground up to be cloud-based. A number of years ago we were looking for an accounting solution which would enable our virtual team to access it. We were currently using Quickbooks, which had, at the time, very limited cloub-based capability. Xero looked great, was easy to use, and made it possible for our virtual team to work together.

Cons

We had to adjust some of the program for our non-profit. We had someone who was quite familiar with the program help us set it up, especially the bank feeds and integrating Receipt Bank. However compared to other implementations this one was easy and went smoothly.

Mark from M D Trimmer & Co

Beautiful Business

All business functions and reporting including payroll and budgeting, invoicing and Key Performance Indicators on hand.

Pros

Xero is very user-friendly, and a dream to use.

Cons

There is nothing to not like about this product. It is constantly improving and evolving.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Looking for a simpler and more robust recording and reporting tool.

July 2015

Phill

Industry: Food Production

July 2015

Overall great, but one flaw to be vary of

I have been using Xero for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. I was with MYOB but had a bad experience when they upgraded their systems to include cloud computing. I have had a look at their new systems, and while they are much improved and worth exploring for someone starting from scratch, I will still stick with Xero.

Pros

My accountants use it extensively so it makes my work and their work integrate so easily which ultimately saves money. Reconciliation is a very labour intensive exercise and Xero cuts a huge amount of time out of this process. On its own it is quite cheap too. I have an expensive plugin (Tradegecko), but the functionality of that pays for itself. Xero creates the framework of my entire business system.

Cons

If you have a business where you have a large number of transactions coming in for the same value, e.g. if you have magazine subscriptions all for $5 a month each then Xero is not a good option, at all. I did have this problem and it was a total pain. I have corresponded extensively with Xero on this issue and they do not see it as a priority and have said directly that they have no intentions on making improvements. This surprises me as their customer service is generally quite good. There is quite a large thread on the support forums on this topic. If this is a potential issue for you then here is my advice. Set up a trial account with Xero and MYOB and test both for this important reconciliation feature. If you know what you are doing it shouldn't take too long (or ask someone who knows what they are doing). These systems change and evolve so quickly that by the time you read this review one of them might have improved their system. MYOB has been beaten badly by Xero in the past few years but from what I have seen (I recently exhibited next to them at a show) they have come a long way since I stopped using their system.

Samuel from comtech telecommunication corp

the best accountant of the clouds do not fail you.

Xero is a software that meets my expectations and needs since it is easy to use, configure and can encode some elements such as search functions to locate some particular numbers, business or relevant transactions and multiple key features such as the panel that is can customize and presents a beautiful user interface with graphics for bank accounts has a unique billing template and can be customized and you can easily create quotes and even turn them into purchase order invoices, Xero is a competent accounting management system that works according to the rules and priorities of my company.

Pros

xero is a rosbusta accounting software with complex functions also has the mobility and the modern interface of unlimited users one as employee and others for the software of comtabilidad in our businesses and is relatively easy to use and learn enough you can see documents Once they are properly configured allows us to see and consilir our transsations without having to go to the office of the comtable or be or sending mailing or bills as they can be loaded into the system of xero as well can be configured the part of contror to obtain A general overview of your business can also be functional for medium and large companies since they are well developed and offer you a solid and comprehensive functions.

Cons

I like this software from xero but lately the customer service has been noticed down and in some of the plans the cost is too high for some companies peueñas.

Johan from Acker & Maloney

A great option

As a firm we switched to xero almost a year ago, and it transformed the way we approach accounting services for clients - for the better. Our own internal accounting became a lot easier and smoother, with the greater collaboration that we needed. But it also changed our clients that we switched over to xero, from other cloud accounting software or traditional desktop software

Pros

There isn’t a lot of cloud accounting software today that can handle the more complex businesses as well as xero. The automatic bank feeds (they are adding new direct bank feeds constantly), the integrations with over 700 third party applications Automatic invoice reminders Ability to do flexible budgeting and forecasting in xero and report on it Tracking Categories and reporting on a Category is super easy Fixed asset register is included and easy depreciation allocation Unlimted users (great basic permissions - more flexibility lacking) There is constant updates and upgrades with a solid product improvement pipeline

Cons

Would love a third tracking category It doesn’t have a delivery note option (although through a complex process you can create one) Customer statements doesn’t include the standard days outstanding buckets as expected, e.g. debt due currently, 30 day, 60 days etc Customer prepayments doesn’t appear as credits/negative balances on statements - very confusing to customers You can’t delete a contact once created (very easy to create a contact), only archive Would have loved for finance lease (amortisation table) reporting to be set automatically

Peter from Eebz Ltd

You are not in business if you do not use Xero

Excellent A few features I would love to have, but frankly the price and features are excellent. Makes it so easy to start a business.

Pros

Pretty, easy to use. Love the bank reconciliation and VAT and PAYE submission. Love being able to quickly generate P&L and Balance Sheets.

Cons

A few rough edges especially in allocating payments, inherited I think from originally trying to abstract away the accounting functionality. The UK Payroll feature can get complex, but frankly not sure how they can make it any easier. Miss an easy way of generating a remittance advice when paying .

Reasons for Switching to Xero

QuickBooks is way, way, way to American-centric. Even something as basic as VAT seems kludged on.

Alexandra from Red Lion Smokehouse

Industry: Restaurants

This has revolutionized our bookkeeping and reduced our accounting fees.

Save time, greater control over my business, fewer errors, save money, more visibility of overall financial health of business. Allows me to work remotely.

Pros

I have no bookkeeping background and was able to easily learn how to use Xero. My business partner and I can login from anywhere in the world and get an up to date picture of our finances, pay invoices, review reports, check profitability and more. Our year end process is much faster and streamlined and we feel like we have much more control over our business. We have integrated data from our POS system (Touch Bistro) using the Shogo Integration tool and allows us to track sales by category alongside costs. We have also integrated Payment Evolution with Xero so we can run payroll and make EFT payments to suppliers directly. Invoices are closed out automatically and remittance notices provided saving time, money and keeping our suppliers happy.

Cons

Some of the reporting features don't show the information that I need - for example the sales tax report. I also find it frustrating that I can't integrate my online banking with Xero - we use a credit union so this might be the bank's issue. Some of the navigation is not great. For example the search feature can be a little fussy and when you complete an action you don't get returned to the page you left.

Markus from benchmarking.com.au

Xero is awesome, albeit expensive when running multiple entities

We've moved from another software 4 years ago and have not looked back. Bank feed setup is easy, recon is a breeze. There are lots of add-ons which can assist with specific needs and there are tons of integrations with sales force and other big guns. The only issues I see is pricing. If you run multiple entities (i.e. for service companies or trusts) the subscription cost adds up quickly. This is because the most basic plan is essentially useless (5 bank transactions a month... if that's all you need, you don't run a business). Compared to emerging competitors pricing is very high. Another issue, if you rely on it, is email support only. While responses come back within 1 to 3 days, players like Intuit have live chat support, which is amazing at their price point. All in all, Xero is a solid solution for us though and while we've moved some (nonpayroll) entities off it and onto QuickBooks, it remains our accounting mainstay for the core operations entity. Hope this helps.

Pros

easy to use ticks all boxes for SME accounting many integration

Cons

price, in particular, once you need multiple add-ons email support only slow load times (this should be fixed once they moved from Rackspace to AWS apparently)

Gethsun from Sunculture

Industry: Oil & Energy

XERO GO-TO ERP FOR SMALL BUSINESSES

Xero demystifies the accounting process for small businesses & the availability of a web application makes it's accessibility even easier with Payroll, purchases, expenses, and CRM functions that would otherwise be complicated and hard to process just a click & button away.

Pros

Extremely easy set-up process - almost lie plug&play Excellent dashboard with easily accessible widgets Efficient reconciliation tools Project tracking and automatic updates Very supportive & available customer support Intergrates with payroll

Cons

Lack of mobile App that is comprehensive such that transactions are held on a separate mobile application. Limited inventory management support.

Scalability

Lisa from Botanique Skin & Spa

Great for Small Business

Really great to date. No major dramas or I would have changed by now.

Pros

As my business started to grow, I needed an accounting package that would be simple to use and help me to generate reports easily for the ATO, payroll, etc. Numbers are not my 'thing' so I relied on my accountant to suggest a package which ended up being Xero. I really have not had any trouble working out everything I need to do. Coding expenses is easy, generating BAS and Super reports is also simple. Anytime I have a problem, I contact my accountant who just walks me through the process. Fantastic.

Cons

The only thing I've found difficult is trying to do payroll via the app while travelling. I don't believe it is set up for this but I could be wrong (ie must have access to the full program to process pays). I know there is a lot more functionality available as well, but I haven't had time to play around with it all and I think it can be a little overwhelming if accounting doesn't come easily. In saying that, the software is very user friendly.

my accountant recommended

Bill from ComputAssist

Industry: Information Services

Complete true accounting online

Prior to Xero I was using a PC-based app. It lacked any connectivity and all data had to be manually imported and exported. I needed to automate as much of my day-to-day business operations as possible, and Xero was a big part of that. It integrates with my CRM and time-tracking app, and takes in my online payment processing. Reconciliation takes a minute or two every couple of days. It has enabled me to reduce my after-hours office time significantly.

Pros

Xero is a new-generation online accounting app built from the ground up for online usage. The interface is mostly intuitive and easy to navigate. The underlying framework is true double-entry accounting with all the power that provides, but you don't have to go there to get daily work done, as a rule. There is a vast array of integrations available to add leverage to your company dataflow. Support is good and rarely needed. The app is very well documented and supplies detailed help articles for most operations.

Cons

The pricing is not bad but I feel it is a little high for a one-person business. They offer a time-tracking add-on but it is an additional 50% of the app cost per month, and this is a feature many competitors throw in for free. Like all web-based apps, your enjoyment in using it will depend in part on the quality of your internet connection.

Joseph from BulletProof Technologies

Good software, terrible support and company

General use of the software is good. The company and technical support made me consider going back to Quickbooks online. Instead I switched to Freshbooks. Great technical support. They answer within 4 rings. Very knowledgeable and patient. 10 out of 10 for support.

Pros

I previously used quickbooks pro, but found their product too expensive and the support was also not very good. I switched to Xero, because of the price and the quality of the software

Cons

Support is only via email. They initially respond within the promised time frame, but 9/10 times the answer is not relevant to the question asked. It's like they don't read the question, or the initial techs are inexperienced. So after wait on average 4 hours for a response, you have to wait long for a reply to any subsequent answer, which is 9/10 times not relevant to the question. So, in my experience you have little if no support for the software. Then, mid year they suddenly drop their payroll feature off their software and announce you can run your payroll through this other company. Wonderful. Suddenly the total cost of accounting has now doubled because Xero didn't decrease their price and it now costs the same amount again to run payroll. A company that does this in my opinion does not show much integrity.

Michael from Alavita Mobile Business solutions

One of the absolute cutting edge, super-easy on the eyes, full function bookkeeping apps

Accounting and bookkeeping are my business, so being able to demo such an aesthetically pleasant app that integrates so well is a real boon. Clients take immediately to the UI and we've genuinely had a 90% on-board rate with Xero. We've tried other Apps, but we won't be working with any other software. There's really there's nothing out there we'd rather recommend. I have found their CS to be first rate, (despite my Account Manager statement), and this end of any accounting SAAS is absolutely vital. Xero has set the standard for over a decade and it's a testimony to their Devs that they're growing steadily despite their giant competition.

Pros

Smooth-running and numerous integrations with other essential business management apps Reasonably priced for small business Has integrated inventory and billing through PayPal and Stripe

Cons

I'm a very loyal user and my company has grown up shoulder-to-shoulder with Xero's growth. There's very few wrinkles from an accountant's POV. I find startup clients sometimes get confused with the "Easy-to-Use-And-Setup" spiel - it certainly is for a bookkeeper familiar with the app! In general, the dashboard apps in this industry can belie their many-layered nature.

Thomas from Castletree Consultants Ltd

Excellent Software But!!!!

Generally good, but at this price point and with the Client base we have, there are more accessible easier to learn options available at much more competitive prices.

Pros

Very full function set with excellent reporting. Does everything well Customer support is quick and they do try to fix things.

Cons

Some glaring failures in coding. Over the last 5 years have found large holes in areas one would not expect. The back-up files we discovered were wholly inadequate and useless to reconstruct anything from. (Now rectified) The VAT reporting for MTD has been laughable, with poorly thought out process leading to the possibility of corrupt data. Fixes have been put in place, but the users should not be used for real time software testing. More thoroughness and care needed

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Xero is one of many packages we use, and definitely a good product but not our preferred option. With our Client base it is a little over-complicated for them to use easily and a little more costly than required.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Greater flexibility and more accessible product

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,980 reviews