All Onshape Reviews

Joao Victor

1,001 - 5,000 employees

Used unspecified

Reviewed June 2023

We finish faster with a better project

Joseph

Civil Engineering, 201-500 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Agrxis Review on Onshape

For my design and modeling needs, adopting Onshape has, in my opinion, been a game-changer. Incomparable simplicity and flexibility are provided by the cloud-based platform, which enables me to access my projects from any location and work seamlessly with team members. My productivity and efficiency when generating 3D drawings have substantially increased because to the user-friendly interface and comprehensive range of tools. The real-time collaboration features of Onshape have completely changed the way I collaborate with others, allowing for seamless communication and coordinated edits. Additionally, the Onshape team's ongoing upgrades and enhancements show their dedication to delivering a superior user experience. Onshape has, all things considered, surpassed my expectations and evolved into a crucial part of my creative workflow.

PROS

I adore Onshape so much! My approach to 3D design and modeling has changed as a result. I can access my projects from any location thanks to the cloud-based platform, which also makes sharing and collaborating simple. I'm able to easily construct complex designs because to Onshape's outstanding array of tools and functionality. The ability to collaborate in real-time with team members, which eliminates version control problems, is a game-changer. It's really easy to be able to work across many platforms and devices because it allows me the freedom to design on the gadget of my choice. Even for someone like myself who is just getting started with 3D design, Onshape's user-friendly interface and simple navigation make it a pleasure to use.

CONS

Even though I adore using Onshape, there is one thing that I find a little difficult. For beginners or those switching from other design applications, some of the more complex capabilities can have a high learning curve. To completely understand the nuances of the more advanced tools and functionalities, it requires some time and effort.

Felix

Accounting, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2019

Great Software for 3D Parametric CAD and Easily Accessible

Overall, using OnShape has been a walk in the park. The user experience of it was fluid, even on a 6 year old Macbook Pro on base specs, not something I could say about Solidworks or AutoCAD. It is fully featured and not having to worry about files, using the built-in cloud integration is great. I would not hesitate to recommend OnShape to anyone interested in picking up CAD or even small CAD shops.

PROS

Coming into the 3D printing world as a student hobbyist, OnShape was a wonderful introduction to 3D CAD and modeling concepts. It was easy and intuitive to pick up (without an engineering degree), and their instructions videos detailed all the primary features you will need. I am by no means a CAD or engineering professional, so I speak to this software from purely a hobbyist and 3D printing nerd standpoint. It was easy for me to pick up and learn, and the fact that the software operated on a browser (I use Safari) was amazing. The cloud integration was solid and robust, albeit only allowing public models and documents on free accounts. I was able to log into any workstation near me and be able to pull up a model and work on it. The decoupling of compute and processing power from the base hardware was also refreshing when it came to unknown pieces of hardware. In my makerspace, I primarily operated on not-so-amazing machines compared to my home workstation, so the ability to be portable and rely on cloud processing was nice. There wasn't really anything I wanted to do from a basic parametric 3D CAD software that I couldn't do on OnShape. From the few years, I've been using it, they are also constantly improving the features available and also refining the user interface. Admittedly, the versioning system which comprised of different branches was a little unexpected in ​CAD software​ but is very paralleled to code-versioning software like Git.

CONS

The hardest part about the software was being able to find other people who used it to teach you about it. Being rather new to the CAD scene, OnShape does have as widespread ​adoption as SolidWorks or AutoCAD, so being able to find others who used it was challenging. Ultimately though, with the decent amount of support documentation detailing the features and some very helpful forum posts, the lack of user experiences could be overlooked. The interface and usage is also quite different from the traditional CAD's was also a bit of a challenge, if you eventually find yourself migrating or using one from time to time. The lack of private projects with free accounts is also a bummer, but not a major issue by any means.

Reviewed August 2017

Very positive, I really like it. One of my favourite packages I have used.

PROS

How quick a thought or idea can become a model. The look of the modeling space is brilliant. How intuitive the program is, a lot of steps are removed because I feel the program is working me. It understands what I am trying to do. The customer support and community is also a big bonus. The webinars are great as well as the help functions. The functionality within the part studio, assembly and drawings is just brilliant.

CONS

The functionality of the tabs within a document. I find it frustrating to use at times, specially it is hard to put my finger on it but it is the one time I grit my teeth. When I have lost my place in tabs/ can't read the full tab/ delete a part and I jump into or out of a folder. I personally just don't like it. How bad the resolution is on the drawings when you are working on them. When they a exported to a PDF they look brilliant but in while working on them it is not great. I understand this could be a cloud issue. Also to that point the lag inside an assembly again I understand this is a cloud issue. The thumbnail constantly changing on the document page. I would like to be able to set the image is I wish because like the tab it is easy to lose place of where you were working.

Hi Mark! Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. I'm so glad to hear you've enjoyed using it so far! I'd love to schedule some time with you to understand the issues performance issues you're facing better. Your Customer Success Manager will reach out directly to set something up.

Jarom

Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2019

Great customer support

Onshape is really nice for working on a project with other people because of the realtime edits you can do. It is kind of like a google doc where everyone can be there working and changing things. It has worked really well in our little startup group.

PROS

There are three things that I have really enjoyed with Onshape. I love that it is cloud based. No more having to save, or worry about losing anything. I also love using is the versions tree. This helps a lot in design to be able to make different versions and compare them easily and quickly. Lastly, their customer service has been spot on. Their team checks in on us regularly to make sure we are doing okay and I have been able to easily schedule a time with someone to help me build a part that I am struggling to build. They are very patient and willing to help in any way.

CONS

The surfacing still has a ways to go, but has been improving over the last year, so I expect it to provide most any feature needed. The only other complaint is the multiple selection feature. Instead of using shift or control to select multiple items, it is set so you can just click anything and it adds it to the selection group(without pressing any other button). While this might sound nice, it gets really annoying and you end up selecting multiple features/parts/items without wanting to.

Rick

Defense & Space, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed February 2019

Instant CAD functionality presented in a brand new way!

OnShape has helped me to do designs of my ideas right where I am, no matter if the computer has CAD installed or not. It has enabled me to keep all my CAD files in one place and always accessible. I have been able to present designs to clients and keep them posted of progress in much easier ways that traditional CAD allows. I would highly recommend OnShape to anyone who is looking for a fresh idea in their CAD sphere.

PROS

What I like the most about OnShape is that it is based in the cloud. It is so convenient that I don't have to install an application on my computer to use it, but rather, it just works. OnShape has taken the idea of Computer Aided Design (CAD) and given an entirely new spin to it, introducing unique ways of performing mates (which I love), as well as integral versioning of parts. The mobile app is also amazing and makes life so much easier!

CONS

As with any cloud platform, if your bandwidth is not great, you're going to have a bad time. The platform tends to lag at high internet usage times in my area, but not too much to complain about. I also found it difficult to use the platform the first few times due to the lack of built in tutorials.

Kent

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2018

Versatile and unencumbered

Fantastic versatility. I never wait more than an hour when I post a question to the forum. Other users are so eager to help.

PROS

I can run this on a $249 Chromebook, and do. It displays equally well on phones and tablets. I also very much like the fact there is no installation and the software is always up to date (because there is not software). When I need to share CAD data with customers, not it's no worry now as I share a link and they instantly have whatever information I wish to share, right in their browser. How many times does a design take a big turn, or the operator breaks some thing severely? I adore the fact I can go back in time to my very first sketch either backing up to a known good design or branching off with an alt. design.

CONS

Missing CAM which is slowly becoming standard in 3D CAD systems.

Dan

Reviewed December 2018

Unparalleled next-gen CAD

Overall, Onshape has been awesome for my business. The customer support is nearly instant and absolutely top-notch. I love all of the forward-thinking, bleeding-edge features that Onshape is continually bringing to the table.

PROS

True cloud-CAD, unlike some fakers (*cough* Fusion360). It's amazing to never have to save or send files. No downloads, no installation, nothing. Just hope on your browser and start modeling. Onshape is extremely forward thinking and always releasing updates and improvements. Live sharing with clients offers us a huge advantage over our competitors

CONS

Some of the available apps are left wanting. It would be nice if rendering and other important features like kinematics, etc. were integrated into Onshape instead of requiring outside apps.

Bukola

Reviewed July 2018

Cloud based CAD for everyone.

PROS

Because Onshape is cloud based, users are saved the stress of installing software which can be a very stressful experience with some software.Everyone in my organizations technical department have access to the most current version of every file , saving us the confusion of having to always confirm the version of every file we need to use.Editing ,collaboration , file recovery ,access,and files storage is simplified ; all of these thanks to Onshape for being cloud based.

CONS

No complaint whatsoever from my experience with Onshape. I only wish I was aware of this program 3-4 year ago.

Ayodeji

Reviewed July 2021

Parametric design software with unending possibilities

I used onshape to design in a competition organized by my department in school. I had a nice experience using this software as it opens me to a new way of parametric designing.

PROS

Onshape has a lot of features like the traditional modeling softwares which makes modeling of complex design easy for a web based software. I personally like the way their tutorials are structured for different levels; basic, advance and experts. That way of learning will be more fun since they won't be bombarding you with advance stuffs which can be boring for beginners.

CONS

There is no feature for 3D sketching which slows down modeling of complex geometries. It needs internet to work which could be really frustrating in conditions and areas where internet connection is unstable or not available

501-1,000 employees

Reviewed October 2019

Onshape is a superior 3D CAD system for design teams

Overall it's a great tool that makes collaborating on a design model simple and efficient.

PROS

The biggest appeal to Onshape is that it can be utilized on various platforms from Mac/PC to mobile devices. Their platform allows multiple people to access the application at one time so design projects can be accomplished more quickly.

CONS

The Onshape product does have a handful of commands which are hard to find even when you search using keywords. Also the downside to it being a cloud CAD product is the lack of offline caching which means models need to constantly be reloaded when experiencing poor connectivity issues.

Peter

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2021

Onshape v Solidworks

Abysmal quality of training meant that the software was unusable

PROS

Shareability. The idea that customers could directly interact was a great sales point

CONS

Failure to provide credible training. Software is not bought for the technical advances or features. These are almost certainly offered in whole or in part by the competition. It is training and support that differentiates competitors. Onshape training is totally inadequate in my experience.

Reason for choosing Onshape

Onshape offered ability and cost. It failed to deliver.

Reasons for switching to Onshape

Cost. But big mistake. Onshape cannot offer quality training. I asked for my money back

Simon

Reviewed August 2017

Very happy with this modern cloud based solution with 5 stars customer support!

Cost effective modern cloud based solution that is efficient, powerful and secure.

PROS

OnShape is a simple-to-use yet powerful parametric modern cloud based software that allows me to collaborate easily with my team. Forget about heavy and expensive CAD work station. I've been most of all my mechanical design on a MacBook Air in Safari. As a frequent traveler, I can access and work on my model on any computer as long as there's reasonable internet connection and google chrome. The data system is so powerful that I've never experienced a single error message caused by data corruption. This was a serious problem I had with Solidworks in the past. Since it's a cloud based system, my data is securely backed up with full traceability down to every single change I made to the model. Whenever I have questions or see a bug in the system, I can easily report it to OnShape's technical using the feedback system. Bugs are usually fixed within days after it's reported. Forget about upgrading or installing new patches, it's always the latest version as soon as you login. Thanks to it's cloud based technology! OnShape is frequently updated so that patches and new features can be incorporated in no time!

CONS

The only issue I have is offline access to the models I have OnShape. OnShape does provide the option of exporting models into numerous formats so that you could open them with conventional non-cloud based software. However, I still have trouble opening them with common software like eDrawings. Ultimate, I would prefer to have an OnShape software on my computer that could sync the data I would like to view whenever I go offline. This is important, as I don't always have an internet connection when I need to present my models to my client when traveling overseas. So it'd be great if OnShape could look at better view-only offline support. Where I can view a read-only model and jot down comments. When I'm back online, I can edit it on my browser.

Nick

Furniture, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2017

Onshape is my 5th and final 3D CAD package - I have arrived!

I spend much less time achieving much more, more reliably than before I found Onshape!

PROS

The (deceptively) simple, very powerful user interface Amazing, multi-part part studios The reliabity of the software and the way it "just works" Being better suited to woodworking than anything else I am aware of Being able to pick up on a design at home after work without having done ANYTHING Quality, speed and pleasantness of support! The problem being keeping up with releases rather than waiting 18 months to find that X wasn't included after all! Being able to add in your own features using FeatureScript! The amazing new 3D curves and surface generating features allowing me to accomplish things I hadn't succeeded in doing with other CAD software! The app store for all the addons that are not core-CAD Feeling "listened to" when making suggestions or struggling with something! The effort the team put into "joined up thinking", getting things "right" and the many decisions they have got right already

CONS

No internet = no CAD (but not actually been a problem yet!) The lack of configurations (as yet) The lack of any visual representation of materials in the workspace beyond colour and transparancy (wood, metal, glass, plastic re: SW or inventor) The way variables (parameters) are managed (looking forward to what is coming but this one has felt like a long wait)

Hi Nick! Thanks for your feedback as always. I'm excited to see how you enjoy our upcoming releases! Please keep me posted if you need anything in the meantime.

1 employee

Onshape makes life easy

PROS

Infinite computing, makes it possible to work from anywhere and model quickly, even from my iPad or netbook. The lofting feature blows other CAD systems out of the water. Seriously the loft feature you have now is unbelievably good. The "git" style versioning is genius. I never worry about loosing work, breaking assemblies, etc. The versioning in Onshape is my favorite feature IN ANY SOFTWARE. I wish every piece of software worked this way. The collaboration I do now with clients is ONLY possible in Onshape. I can work thousands of miles away from my client but they still feel in complete control. They can access their assets without even contacting me which is so amazing. The shear peace of mind that all of my CAD assets and references are safely stored on the cloud gives me amazing confidence working on projects for clients.

CONS

Adobe Illustrator polylines, DXF and DWG import/ingest needs major improvement. Going from Illustrator to Onshape is kind of a pain in the butt right now. So many designs come from Illustrator or EPS, and being able to digest polylines would be so great. Google font support in the text tool would also be helpful. Only 5 fonts or so are available now which is very limited.

Charles

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2017

I have done a lot with the OnShape tool, more than I was able to with ProE Creo.

I had the opportunity to investigate some complex design issues, and try out some solutions, though I have not finished yet. I had tried this in ProE, but I found it too hard to use, and the software update issues were beyond painful...

PROS

Ease of use, and the interaction with the developers. The training webinars, and interest in helping the users. The ability to make user features is really interesting, and I have used is some. I am still learning...but it has been very positive experience so far. The integrated versioning tools are also quite helpful, and well thought out. I was using the tool almost daily, but lately, conflicting work has taken me away...have to get back.

CONS

My machines use chains, and the tools inability to deal with those, especially in an assembly, is problematic. Parts that move in 3-space when the chains move, is key also. I tweaked a pulley example, that works partially in a part window, but then disappears in the assembly. Sprockets and chain details - I have not incorporated...but those still do not move the sprockets. Also, part of the machines are cables. here I mean force transmitting cable, not electrical ones. Lining up sheaves, and visualizing the cable paths would also be a great addition. I am hoping these get supported eventually. The last thing I will mention is no external interface. I am developing the control software for the machines, but i cannot pass the kinematic and dynamic data in and how to have the software run the machine, so I am forced to investigate video game software engines to do that...That has useful results, but makes for a more complex integration and evaluation effort. I feel like I am unloading here, but the ideas might be food for thought.

Ryan

Reviewed August 2017

In my experience with Onshape is up and down. But is slowly going more up then down.

Being able to allow a new business like mine to afford professional 3D cad software. Ease of use anywhere

PROS

I like the customer support and the quick responses. Anticipation of new updates and improvements. Constant improvements. Price is good. Can take it anywhere on almost any device as long as internet connection is decent. Sharing is easy but I think could be better. works on mac! I don't need a fancy workstation.

CONS

BOMS!!! absolute worst and very frustrating. I tried both google sheets and OpenBOM and always end up very frustrated and never happy with the finished product. Need exploded views. That exploded view app is garbage Need sheet metal features added faster. Need to be able to add tabs for tab and slot designs. Everything feature that is added to a sheet metal part that will affect laser cutting needs to show up on the flat pattern. I hate and don't understand having the "finish sheet metal" feature. Drawing templates are also frustrating. trying to make a nice company template has been a struggle and I am still not happy with it. Importing to a DWT and modifying in a 2D cad software never reimports properly.

Hi Ryan. Thanks for your review of Onshape. I'd love to schedule some time for us to catch up and discuss your feedback in more detail. Do you have some time next week to chat?

Christopher