All DigitalOcean Reviews

Ajay S

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2021

Digital Ocean is really an ocean

It's awesome and hopefully will be awesome. It's IaaS service i loved the most.

PROS

it's reliability is awesome and worls very awesome. Pricing also cheap. So we consider and refer to other.

CONS

Support system should be empowered to best level as other are having advanced system for support to customers.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Every platform have their own features and so does digital ocean

Burak

Civil Engineering, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2022

Affordable but has some problems

My overall experience with them is good but I suggest DigitalOcean users to back up their droplets frequently to another service provider. If they lock your account, the customer service is hard to reach and if they wouldn't restore your access, you are risking losing your data.

PROS

The user interface is really easy to use, with a few clicks it allows you to create a droplet across the globe. Also, it is easy to manage access controls and overall network/firewall rules. They provide affordable S3 like data storage solution called "Spaces". If you are switching from Amazon S3, the best thing about Spaces is it compatible with official S3 libraries which eliminates the implementation process as you can use the same infrastructure for Spaces too.

CONS

They should revise Spaces product page/documentation. I had to reach customer support to verify that spaces is just a subscription service so it comes with unlimited buckets. This information is not provided on their product page. Also, their customer service is really hard to reach, and they are not helpful. The worst thing about their service is their automated bots. They can lock your account without a valid reason, and it really hard to convince them to undo it.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

The control panel of DigitalOcean is better than Vultr.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

Amazon AWS was too expensive.

Reviewed January 2023

Worst company ever, losing data

Worst

PROS

It was having good UI but that is not enough at all.

CONS

After upgrading my managed database it is losing a few days of data and networking not working, so my platform is unreachable and no solution already 2 days.

Reviewed June 2020

Deploying Linux or open-source software? Use DigitalOcean

In a word -- superb on all fronts -- as an example, we were replicating a certain image type that wouldn't work -- any time we'd load the image on a new box, it would fail. It turned out to be a very specific issue around the length of the image name on a specific Debian release -- the DigitalOcean support team figured it out, and looped back with us, long after we'd simply rebuilt the image.

PROS

The most amazingly refreshing platform to use in a long time, especially for back-end work. We'd switched from AWS, which was incredibly cumbersome to administer.

CONS

We sometimes have had to migrate between data centers because the machines we wanted in the data center in which we already had nodes didn't have the same node available for scaling.

at the time, price and ease of administration

at the time, price and ease of administration

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2020

The best cloud computing company I have ever used

I build custom software for clients and have some SaaS products hosted on the platform. Their data security, availability and high velocity servers make me confident to do my job while they keep it online. I'm a completely happy costumer! They are providing me a perfect experience for more than 4 years.

PROS

The awesome user interface of the product is a killing feature, ages ahead of competition. I love how simple and efficient everything is, from deploying a new droplet to asking for support. They offer an excellent service at very low cost. They helped me starting my business, teaching me with their free tutorials how to build and manage servers.

CONS

I would love to see investments on a Brazilian datacenter. This is the only missing feature for me.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean is simpler to configure and manage. It's billing system doesn't include hidden costs. It's starting price is affordable for a bootstrapped developer.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean has a better ecosystem of features, a really helpful community, the best tutorials on the internet and public plans for the future. I'm more confident they will succeed in the long run .

Carlos

Research, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed September 2020

Easy to setup and very useful

Excellent. Start working in minutes, and I am not an IT professsional. Digital Ocean offers very flexible plans and it is very easy to switch alternatives when needed. Invoices are clear and fair. I use Digital Ocean to mount one or more servers for my personal work, involving data analysis and education. It has saved me hours of installing software and allows working virtually from any location and any device.

PROS

Very easy to setup, all the options that I need are available, can start working in minutes.

CONS

I would like more low-cost alternatives.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Digital Ocean is very, very easy to setup, even for non-experts as my case. I have found straightforward directions to install every software I have needed, with up-to-date information.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

The former service was very difficult for me.

Jesse

Internet, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2020

Digital Ocean has saved me a lot of money

The pricing is fantastic and has really forced me to abandon any expensive managed hosting platforms. With DO, I can use the latest web server technology when I want. I have experience nothing but great, prompt customer service.

PROS

Along with great guides, DO has provided me and my clients with a growing list of tools to be more productive.

CONS

The learning curve was steep when I started using DO several years ago. I imagine those with no experience in this area would struggle but the guides really helped.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Less corporate. Wanted to support what I saw as a smaller company. Less restrictions. Better quality services. Cheaper.

Mikey

Hospitality, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2020

One of the best providers on the market

We are using Digital ocean to host our SaaS product along side some AWS systems to fill the gaps.

PROS

Digital Ocean delivers incredible value for money along with some of the best features sets available on the market. With excellent ease-of-use and brilliant documentation, support and knowledge bases to match. There's no one else like it in the market.

CONS

Missing some features of larger providers like AWS, however, these aren't things that we are looking for so don't miss it.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Price and ease-of-use compared to the competition.

Arun

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed August 2020

Choose DO as a reliable and affordable cloud provider

I have been a long time customer of Digital Ocean and used their droplets to run Wordpress based websites and applications. The service is always reliable and also their customer support team is super helpful.

PROS

DigitalOcean provides an inexpensive and easy-to-manage cloud platform that offers reliable services that is very well-designed. The design language across the platform is clean and modern. It literally takes minutes to spin a server get to work.

CONS

The service is heavily developer focused so non-developers (Business users) to use the system without a fair bit of learning curve. This is a not necessarily a disadvantage but calling out so buyers make informed decisions.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Started using digital ocean before Amazon had come up with a droplet equivalent. Due to the familiarity i invariably chose DO over AWS.

Marc Vincent

Internet, 1 employee

Why I love DigitalOcean

Easy, fast, and will not break the bank.

PROS

Set up is a breeze even if I've only started working with Linux when I tried it.

CONS

Basic Linux/server knowledge is required to effectively use their service which is common to VPS services.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean doesn't have as much features/capabilities as AWS or GCP but what it has is enough for someone just trying out VPS (and even for more advanced usage). They also managed to distill the features down to the most basic so it's not as daunting as AWS or GCP.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean's interface was cleaner and much easier to digest especially for someone just starting out.

Christian

Computer Software, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed June 2022

Great Cloud Provider

I use DigitalOcean for deploying and hosting a few web applications. A couple of them are with collaboration with a designer or another developer. Setting up new instances of different products is easy and deploying is a breeze.

PROS

Very easy to use - can get started pretty quickly with little to no training.

CONS

Parts of the dashboard UI differ too much, making the products that are different harder to find things for configuration.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Scalability, reliability, and cost.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

Mainly the integrations of Git - GitLab to be specific.

Kunal

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2021

Best Cloud Hosting for Developers with Wonderful User Interface and Tutorials

Overall I am quite happy with the way DigitalOcean is. Currently my site is hosted on DigitalOcean and loads quickly. A faster loading site means more visitors and more visitors means more income generating possibilities. Spinning new servers from images save lot of time.

PROS

Things that I like about DigitalOcean are 1) You get power of cloud computing at some discount compared to Amazon and Google. 2) Nice and intuitive dashboard. 3) You can provision new servers in around 60 seconds. 4) Developer friendly. 5) Ability to collaborate with teams. 6) Predictable pricing. 7) Scale up as you grow. 8) Can enable IPv6 for the server. 9) Get to know various monitoring metrics like CPU and RAM consumption, disk usage, bandwidth consumption in the dashboard at a minimal interval of 5 minutes. You can see these usage for last 14 days. 10) Take backups and snapshots incase of anything goes wrong. 11) Easy to configure Firewall. 12) Can increase disk space easily by adding Block Storage to the droplets. 13) DigitalOceans Spaces can be used to offload static files for as low as $5 for 1TB CDN bandwidth and reduce load on server. 14) DigitalOcean has one of the best knowledge base and how to articles to get you started or get out if you are stuck. 15) Create alerts to receive email notification 16) Get email notification when monthly spending reaches your defined threshold.

CONS

Things that I don't like about DigitalOcean are 1) You have to turn off the droplet to scale up or scale down. 2) Information regarding DDoS attacks on droplets should also me made available in the control panel. 3) Backups and Snapshots costs extra and are pricy. 4) Does not accept prepaid cards for payments.

Reviewed September 2022

Great platform for Kubernetes deployments

PROS

Easy to use Kubernetes service, good security, good performance, auto-scaling features

CONS

Kubernetes service still evolving which involves breaking changes at times, costs can grow quite large

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

Better security and auto-scaling features

Reviewed December 2023

DigitalOcean Review

PROS

DigitalOcean is easy to use because of user-friendly interface. It provide own hosting panel along with virtual machines and allow for complete control over it. You can enable IPv6 for the server also easily Firewall configure can be done. The service I like most is that it support Micro-services architecture.

CONS

There are few issue in email services. Expensive backup so I fell little expensive

Toby

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2021

Fantastic value and easy to use

DigitalOcean does what it needs for us - highly flexible, low cost cloud hosting, with scaled up resources at the click of a butotn.

PROS

Digital Ocean is unbeatable on cost and ease of use for an IAAS. Managing droplets is intuitive and as simple as you can hope for. Uptime / reliability is great.

CONS

Doesn't have as much power as AWS, but that's the trade-off for simplicity.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Balance of simplicity and cost

Reviewed July 2023

Great cloud service, one of the best

PROS

I use DigitalOcean for many of my projects for about 5 years already. I'm very happy with the different features and support DigitalOcean provides. My most used feature is DigitalOcean apps. This is a great and easy way to run your projects without the need to configure virtual servers.

CONS

One important limitation is that DigitalOcean uses CloudFlare so the request time is limited to 100 seconds and this can't be changed. You will get a timeout after this time. Because of this limitation, I'm using Google Cloud Run for one of my API.

Harshit

Computer & Network Security, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2022

Techie’s best choice

I am using digitalocean since 3 years I an extremely satisfied

PROS

The software comes with a free one year subscription if you have github pro which is insanely good and the power and speed the virtual machines have i think no other machines have in the world

CONS

The product is designed in such a way leaves no cons back

Price range and quality