Browse SafeDNS Reviews

Paul from The Computer Guy Ltd

Industry: Computer Networking

Great features and good pricing!

Excellent - moved to SafeDNS when our previous internet filtering solution was dropped by the vendor.

Pros

Great central management of multiple accounts, with plenty of customisations for the block page etc. We use SafeDNS on customers’ firewalls, including campsites, hostels and garden centre Café’s!

Cons

It would nice to be alerted if the service has received no dns hits for xx hours - this can happen if a dns record is changed, but I forget to update SafeDNS

Reasons for Switching to SafeDNS

Dyn no longer supporting Internet Guide (SafeDNS has more features anyway)

Troy from EOS Fitness

There are lots of DNS based security products out there

Pros

Safedns does a great job of making DNS based administration quick and easy. Safedns also does a great job of allowing administrators to define a list of allowed sites and deny everything else. Some of the big players in this space surprisingly don't have this functionality.

Cons

I didn't care for the SafeDNS agent software. We tried it on a few systems and decided to apply at the network level for filtered vlans.

Reasons for Choosing SafeDNS

Umbrella didn't offer (at the time) the ability to block all sites except whitelisted sites. This may have changed as we've been with SafeDNS for several years now.

Reasons for Switching to SafeDNS

DNS Filter was much more expensive and didn't offer the level of features that we get with SafeDNS.

Anthony from Self Employed

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great way to improve the internet safety at home.

I have been very happy with SafeDNS. It has significantly improved the network safety and it requires relatively little maintenance. I don't need to require access to every device. In addition it is very easy to manage when needed.

Pros

I needed a simple and affective way to manage our home network and filter out the trash from all the good that is on the internet. I work in the IT industry and so I explored a number of options including locally installed software like Qustodio, NetNanny and many others. The issue with all of the locally installed software was the constant maintenance and performance issues. They were also too intrusive. I knew about DNS options and tried OpenDNS. This worked but it had poor management options and no ability to schedule. The ability to schedule was a huge issue for me. With SafeDNS I can schedule between School/Work vs Free time automatically. I setup SafeDNS on the router so the entire house is covered automatically. All mobile and physically connected devices. They have an app you can install but I don't use that. I use SafeDNS on a router with DD-WRT installed. You need to ensure that you have the router block or redirect port 53 requests to ensure that network clients don't bypass the SafeDNS server entries. SafeDNS is not a perfect solution but it has made our network much safer without compromising or slowing down the workstations. I initially used their web categories which were pretty good. SafeDNS staff were very responsive whenever I asked for corrections to the categories. At the moment I am exploring the use of a WhiteList only. This has been very affective in really focusing our internet usage.

Cons

DNS blocking is not fool proof. At the same time it is relatively easy and economical to implement and the problem cases can be dealt with on an individual basis. Some users have figured out that they can use TOR to get around DNS blocking, I am currently exploring router updates to prevent that. Use of a VPN will also bypass overly permissive DNS blocking. That is one reason why I switched to using a whitelist. A thought for SafeDNS. Consider allowing categories to be used as a whitelist instead of a blacklist. e.g. Rather then allowing everything except that which is blocked... Instead, block everything (including the unknown/uncategorized) except those categories that are known to be good.

Reasons for Choosing SafeDNS

Pricing, No local install, Has Scheduling.

Reasons for Switching to SafeDNS

I switched from OpenDNS because the price was right and SafeDNS had scheduling.

james from TTSI

Constant issues

Pros

product worked perfectly for a year, now constant issues every week we have 2-3 outages and support has not stated anything other than to let them know if it happens again, am under huge pressure from division managers to fix once and for all, unfortunately, safedns still cannot find the issue so I am now shopping for other providers :(

Cons

product no longer works , support seems to not care about fixing at all

David from Working Nets, Inc

SafeDNS offers good protection, at a reasonable price.

Generally, we use this to prevent accidents. An accident might be someone opening a site that is inappropriate for the workplace, and expose the client to workplace harassment claims. It might also be one that prevents someone from going to a malware site, and infecting the network. Overall, our experience has been good.

Pros

Once the software is set up, it's simple. The end-users don't have to really *do* anything. It just starts taking affect, and preventing them from accessing the sites we don't want them to access. This is true even where the users are distributed, and not on the same network.

Cons

This product is not, at its heart, designed for the MSP model. It's designed for, "I'm using this to manage my network." And so, licensing is not as clear as I'd like to see it. Managing licenses, or license groups is also not as clear as I'd like. There also doesn't seem to be a very clear guide as to what command-line options are needed for a push-out deployment.

Reasons for Choosing SafeDNS

Mostly price, and licensing issues.

Frank from Blackall Range Care Group

Quality DNS software at a Reasonable Price

Very satisfying - set and forget - until a user says why is this site blocked?

Pros

Great support during set up and use by our company. Very helpful when fixing those settings which I didn't read up on in the guide - had a "man" look.

Cons

Not a "known" elite brand but I feel this to be a good thing. Not expert in all things IT but expert in this field.

Reasons for Choosing SafeDNS

Quality reviews about a company that specialise in this field.

SHERMAN from Maximum Technologies Ltd. (Canada)

Secure, Safe DNS for everyone

Pros

Easy console to use, the service does work.

Cons

At times, searches are slow or look ups are slow across the network SafeDNS is securing, some frames don't return properly, if at all, on a web page. End user does not know what is wrong or if something is being blocked; and yes, there is a blocked page warning configured. Doesen't show up.

Reasons for Switching to SafeDNS

When cisco bought them; the sales was quite aggressive bordering on nafarious. I had networks configured and if I didn't upgrade to what ever tier they were pushing at the time, they would 'turn off' the filtering. I said I would reduce the foot print of the networks configured, but cisco said that there was a minimum. I did not go for it and the filtering was turned off. 'Oddly' after I moved to SafeDNS and a about 5 weeks go by, all my settings started functioning again - in other words, services were turned off to try to force me to sign up for a larger than needed package.

John from St Paul's Lutheran School

Affordable, Cloud-Based Web Filtering

Pros

I've been using SafeDNS on the school network I manage for a number of years. Here's the pros: 1. The cost, especially for educational institutions, is very affordable. 2. Implementation is simple if you're well versed in router configuration. 3. The interface is simple. Preset categories seem to be fairly effective. 4. Forced Safe Search for search engines and Forced Restricted Mode for YouTube is a great feature for implementing in a school. 5. Changes in configuration can be made from any web browser at any time, so management is remote.

Cons

1. At the present time, the SafeDNS agent, which automatically sends your IP information to SafeDNS, is available for Windows only. macOS users are out of luck. For my application, this isn't a huge deal because I have the network set up on a static IP, but for those with a dynamic IP address, the only way to keep the filtering working 100% is to use the agent app.

Brett from Saint Paul Diocesan Jr. Sr. High School

SafeDNS- Low Maintenance Web Filter

We've been using SafeDns for several years. We are a school and we do not have personnel that can dedicate to Web Filtering management, hardware & software installation and maintenance. We also cannot afford to spend much. But, of course, we need the webfilter protection with hundreds of students. With SafeDns, you set it and forget it. Check once and a while to make sure it is securing your network. Very easy to use. Easy Web Based product with easy to use management. No heavy lifting from the user perspective, but delivers a solid protection.

Pros

Very easy to setup. No additional servers, software. Short learning curve. Effective delivery of Web Filter Security. Very easy to Maintain.

Cons

A few years ago, products like this were free. Now the annual fee goes up every year.

Reasons for Choosing SafeDNS

Ease of Use, No onsite hardware required, Cost Effective.

Reasons for Switching to SafeDNS

OPENDNS was no longer free. We needed to find another solution that was very cost effective. SafeDns was the best product for the lowest price we could find.

Albert from Wellington College China

General

Good

Pros

Easy to implementation, good performance

Cons

In China, we always get wrong DNS result for local web page. More function need for client.

Antonoi from ESONDE

Easy while powerful and always updated filter

SafeDNS is an excellent solution for Education.

Pros

Our clients are schools. We differentiate profiles of teachers and students with easy using simple NAT rules in the gateway. Also, we can fine-tune the filter by adding white & black lists for all the customers, and even for a single customer, by individual profiles.

Cons

No special negative thoughts, actually.

Reasons for Choosing SafeDNS

The most easy to use and cheap enough to be competitive in the School market.

Reasons for Switching to SafeDNS

Easier, cleaner and, specially, much cheaper. Other extra features from Cisco Umbrella haven't been used in our implementations.

SafeDNS for any vertical

A very complete and robust service of content filtering and block content, the google and youtube safe search mode is awesome

Pros

Is very easy to use and implement, the complete content filtering and content block is amazing

Cons

It would be great that the solution could have a MDM functionality for educational vertical.