HeavyJob Software Reviews

HeavyJob Software Reviews

Find out more:

Recommendations

Find out more:

• icon"Fantastic for entering man/equipment hours, daily reports, daily pictures, and notes. The field easily enters their daily crew information which eventually is imported into our payroll system."
  • icon"The HeavyJog have a great customer support, the application is very easy to use, great functionalities and manage your project."
  • icon"It is super easy to use and it is fully integrated with HeavyBid which is a huge time saver for us."
  • icon"This is a pain to support when we have to make a change or when there is an upgrade."
  • icon"Basically all of the internal UI logic is just really, really bad."
  • icon"It just takes much longer to manage due to the multiple departments. For a while, we had a terrible time getting the environment stable."

Browse all HeavyJob Reviews

• Have you used HeavyJob and would like to share your experience with others?

Krista

Great for payroll & equipment entries/tracking.

Easy for the field to enter hours for men/equipment. Uploads into payrolls system effortlessly. Great reporting options.

Pros

Fantastic for entering man/equipment hours, daily reports, daily pictures, and notes. The field easily enters their daily crew information which eventually is imported into our payroll system. HCSS has worked well with the past two payroll systems we've had. Infinate categories/types for hours...active/idle/holiday. Lots of options for attachments, notes, etc. Within a short amount of time it is easy to use. Great reporting options.

Cons

User friendly after about a month of use (tough at first). Sometimes there's too many choices, too many ways to do one thing. Doesn't play nice with all softwares but has a stronghold on some. They need work work on updating the capabilities of the software. Many years have gone by with not much updated/changed.

J. Mickey

Industry: Civil Engineering

Perfectly Applicable yet underwhelming

This product definitely supplies the needs to any Foreman / Supervisor / Project manager would need for daily time entry and notes, but is seriously lacking in user interface. Daily reports need to be more than a note log, there needs to be connections between a daily log and the Man hours being submitted. For all intents and purposes there should be a daily log that you can 'tag' with a cost code that automatically creates man hours for the time periods.

Pros

-Allows Man hour entry on a daily basis -Allows Daily log reporting on a daily basis -Allows Equipment and Material tracking as well

Cons

-Although on the whole, HeavyJob allows access to every module a construction based enterprise would need, the functionality and user interface lack for the end user.

Poor quality product is only saved by spectacular customer support

Aside from being able to keep track of time and having an easy input for our accounting software, HJ hasn't really benefited our company at all. If we were to take it away today and simply have our employees fill out excel spreadsheets, we really wouldn't notice much of a difference. While I'm sure the software is great for large companies with employees who can dedicate many hours to the intricacies of it - this is an overall bad software for smaller to medium sized companies. Given its user interface problems and outdated database - a company will need a full time operator on this software just to get their money out of it.

Pros

The most likable thing about this software is the incredible customer support team. They're available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week; there has never been a situation where I've called and didn't have my problem solved within an hour. Over 90% of my support inquiries have been handled in less than 10 minutes. The team is truly incredible.

Cons

The software is built on an outdated database with a poorly constructed user interface. The UI is probably one of the worst things I've ever seen in a project management software; it's not intuitive at all, requires a ton of clicks to get very simple things accomplished, and a multitude of options sit in places where they don't logically belong. My crews in the field do find it easy to use, which is a benefit, but from a backend perspective it's just a mess. I actually come from the user experience (UX) world, and it's clear to me that HCSS either didn't hire a UX designer/developer or the one they have hasn't learned anything new in the past decade. Basically all of the internal UI logic is just really, really bad. The reporting system is also a mess of odd questions and functions, and I've had to call several times to get customer support to explain to me how to custom make reports that should just be readily available in any PM construction software. The "takeoff" phase of this was very problematic, and we ran into multiple issues along the way. HCSS charges an exorbitant amount of money to host their own software on their servers. Choosing them over Google Cloud would have cost my company almost three times more per month, but because the software was already extremely expensive I didn't want to go over budget. So we ran into issues during implementation and the training was lackluster.

Reasons for choosing HeavyJob

Ultimately went with HJ due to their reputation for good customer service.

Jessica

August 2022

HCSS HeavyJob

Pros

The customer service is top notch. They answer immediately, are friendly and knowledgeable and go above and beyond to meet your needs.

Cons

I can't think of anything that needs to be improved.

Stephen Olawale

THE PERFECT JOURNAL FOR A SITE SUPERVISOR/PROJECT MANAGER

the product has being very helpful in budget tracking to ensure the project implementation and expenses is within the budget

Pros

Keeping records of work hours, expenses and general daily work log made easy,site machineries and material tracking made accurate and easy by this product,it helps to keep track of available budget daily,every foreman needs it on site and the fact that it works on mobile phone devices operating system makes it interesting

Cons

the software not easy to learn for beginners, many people on the team needs to o for an extensive train before than use the application, the interface not user friendly enough. The man hour daily log for a period of time submitted should be a product of daily logs tagged or linked with a cost code, there should be connectivity between the three

Matthew

Best product out there!!!

Pros

This product is the best product out there in the industry. I have used many estimating softwares and nothing compares. You can make your bid as simple or complex with with HCSS. I love that you can copy your bid and make a new bid super fast. This program offers more possibilities then you could possibly think.

Cons

It was very hard to learn this program in the beginning. I went to many different HCSS classes to get the training I needed. You can mess up a bid very easily if you are not paying attention.

Pros

Great software solution for tracking production, time entry, daily diaries, and pay estimates. Use It daily and love it. Support is awesome.

Cons

Some things are a bit cumbersome and difficult to figure out but as always, support is available to address your problem quickly.

The perfect construction software,

We are able to maintain our time and attendance system with many less people that we would have on a comparable job without HeavyJob.

Pros

It works exactly as described. Our foremen and supervisors are able to use the easy intuitive iPad interface without any problems - a difficult task when dealing with construction.

Cons

Manager software on PC is dated and could use a massive refresh. Roles based security has limit functionality. SQL integration is a bit of a mess.

Easy to use and administer

Pros

The number one "pro" of using HeavyJob is the support you get from HCSS. Their support team is unlike any other that I have worked with. When you call you always get a knowledgeable person that is able to help right away with any issue. I work on the integrations to HeavyJob using their DIS tool. The support team is very easy to work with to get new features added to the integration. They have been able to support us in any customization we need to make the product work for us. When we have to upgrade HeavyJob, the support team helps with all aspects of the upgrade. Our users are very satisfied using this product for Timecards and equipment billing.

Cons

There are some features that we wish could be added, but support is open to hearing ideas and putting them in as suggestions for future releases. I wish I could do more interaction directly with the database to input and extract data, but the tools that they provide suffice.

Quinn

Great for Time cards and more

Pros

easy to review cost codes, easy to change them. Easy for the foreman to input the time. Great documentation tool. I love that the notes are right there and i don't have to do separate diaries. It helps me keep my cost report accurate.

Cons

the learning curve was fairly big for the foreman. But they figured it out and now they are faster and more accurate than they ever were

Julia

March 2015

HCSS HeavyJob - Too Much Power?

Pros

This tool is very powerful. Given good input data/information, cost management and projection have been revolutionized. As a project manager, I find this tool to be highly valuable. The future of construction management is bright.

Cons

HCSS has heavily marketed this to upper management at construction companies as a tool to be used in the field by foremen to enter all information needed to track all project costs. The selling point is that all data entry is completed by the time it reaches the project engineer/manager so that those employees can spend their time reviewing the data - data which has already been analyzed for you by the HeavyJob tool. The problem here is how much time and effort it takes to manage the foremen and the data/information that they submit. "Garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind. A project management team cannot use this as a tool for cost management if the information upfront is not good. A lot of time and money is spent managing the information input and less time on the information output, as HeavyJob is marketed. Most of what I have seen are construction companies using HeavyJob as a "glorified electronic timecard," when it really can do so much more. I am hopeful that with new generations of foremen coming up through the ranks, we will eventually get there, but it will take a while, unless your company is willing to invest in a lot of foremen training (and follow up training).

This is our primary tool for managing labor and equipment. Our users prefer it over other options.

This is the favorite tool of our jobsites for managing labor and equipment. The mobile version is easy to use. It is very stable.

Pros

HeavyJob has all the features we need. We support multiple divisions across several states and every project uses it. We integrate heavily with our ERP and Payroll systems and the technical support has been extremely helpful. We've had some custom work done by HCSS for integrations as well that has worked very well. Many of our users use the mobile version on an iPad. We rarely have problems even though our installation is quite complex.

Cons

We had to set up multiple configurations to support our multiple divisions. This is a pain to support when we have to make a change or when there is an upgrade. However, it does work well now that it is set up. It just takes much longer to manage due to the multiple departments. For a while, we had a terrible time getting the environment stable. However, it has been extremely stable for the past 3 years.

Dan

Great Software, Better Customer Service

I have worked with the software for approximately 1 1/2 years. As we are a smaller firm with a specialized field of construction, in my opinion, we are only utilizing a small portion of the available features as this serves our needs. I would imagine that an estimator from a larger firm who is more involved with general contractor and large estimating teams would have a more substantial grasp of the true capabilities than myself.

Pros

The software features a full suite of capabilities that makes my estimating simpler and more precise. The reporting functions are very in-depth and well presented for others to review. Once set up, the ability to have "one click" bid items that populate all required resources save us considerable amounts of time.

Cons

The software has a steep learning curve as there are so many features and functions. I would recommend anyone who is new to HCSS Heavybid to read through the available resources to get a grasp on the software. I had the luxury of learning from a senior member of staff, but this may not be available to all.

HCSS Review

Overall it is the best and highly recommended. One of the most important things about HCSS is that doing joint ventures with other companies, the majority of companies use this software, and makes the joint venture comparison flawless. And hiring people with Heavy Bid experience is essential.

Pros

HCSS is a very popular and powerful bidding software. It allows many features for data input, creating resources, crews, material, labor and equipment databases. Making changes within the database or individual bids is extremely easy. Adding items, codes, resources is one click.

Cons

The biggest negative for HCSS is the cost. It is extremely expensive, and sometimes tough for smaller companies to purchase multiple licenses. In my opinion, worth the cost though. There are other comparible estimating softwares out there, but HCSS is the Cadillac.

Quinn

Best taking software in construction

We use it to track out time, document change orders and Rework. I keeps the cost codes clean and accurate.

Pros

The crew foreman have been able to pick this up fairly easily and use it as is intended to be used. We get quality notes from the foreman and are able to accurately track the time with the proper pay items. it is especially helpful on time and material pay items. I love that I am able to document the work and have the customer sign off on the work at the end of the day. It makes change orders easy to track as well as rework. This has helped us give better estimates because of the higher quality of cost tracking. It makes keeping the budget clean so much easier.

Cons

I have not found any cons with heavy job at this point.

Nicole

Very effective for the construction industry

Pros

I like how easy it is to use this product. Anyone can use it whether they are tech-savvy or not! It is so simple to add employees, hours, cost codes to a time card. There isn't a lot of features that go unused either. We use the mobile app too which is extremely helpful for those superintendents without computers. This program coincides with many other accounting softwares making it easy to import the hours/time cards.

Cons

The only downside I have noticed when the mobile app and desktop software work together, you have to manually pull in the time cards from users using the mobile app to the desktop software. We were told that they had an auto-import function, but it never went into effect.

Rich

Best in class time entry

We enter over 9000 hours a week through HeavyJob and it has really streamlined our time entry on the job sites. The interface with our ERP is solid and the support is second to none.

Pros

HCSS HeavyJob is very easy to install and use. It has the features most wanted by construction companies to manage timecards and productivity in the field.

Cons

The only drawback with HeavyJob is the price. The monthly fees for access can become quite large for a larger workforce and there aren't many options for different levels of access. Most things are "all-or-nothing," which increases the cost.

Joe