• Pros

• "What I love most about this software is the accuracy and efficiency it provides while doing my takeoffs."

• "The program is user friendly and very easy to learn."

• "Always updating and looking for new ways to make the program better. Great technical support team. Once the basics are learned the software is very intuitive "

• Cons

• "The PDF takeoff function works great when the PDF file is in vector format, however when it isn't, which can be common, it becomes very cumbersome and time consuming to perform the takeoff."

• "Some of the reports could be a little more detailed. But all in all everything is okay"

• "Not much that I don't like. There are a few commands that are used in competitive software that a similar feature would be nice."

Browse InSite SiteWork Earthwork Takeoff Reviews

rick from conley & son excavating

My Company has been a user of Insite software for 24 years

I would highly recommend Insite & Field General. I use Insite for our earthwork quantities, pipe excavation and backfill quantities, subgrade material quantities, finish grade quantities asphalt, concrete and topsoil. And fine the quantities to be very accurate. I use Field General for our field survey and GPS layout. I build my own TINS for our GPS machine control. They are very accurate and easy to build in Field General.

Pros

Insite/ Field General has always been on the cutting edge of the technology. Whether it's been digitizer takeoff, PDF takeoff or CAD takeoff

Cons

Response from InSite Software

Replied June 2019

Rick: We appreciate your kind words. We are just about to launch new classes for building models with Field General. Watch the newsletter for details. Let's screen share and find out what it is you are looking for in reports.

Stan from Plank LLC

InSite Estimating Software

My experience with learning the the software program and knowing the software personally has made me more valuable to the owner of the company, thus my level of pay has increased. To the owner he know that he will get a accurate takeoff, knowing the quantities are spot on and I can produce more work, which means more jobs can be taken off in a short period of time.

Pros

InSite software has been a fantastic tool for me, I have been using the program for 10 years now and has saved me so much time on estimating a project. Just that in itself pays for the program. I have found that the quantities it provides is spot on. It takes a lot of the guesswork out on bidding, knowing that you know your material quantities and how much excavation it takes to get the job to subgrade elevations. The program was easy to learn, I like the way the team at InSite is there to help you if you have questions about the program. I like how they keep upgrading the software each year to make my job easier. I would recommend taking the classes they offer when first starting out with this program. It will make the learning curve come much quicker. One other thing I like is the result print outs, they are easy to read and comprehend. I have to admit that Insite has made my job much easier, and that means more jobs can be bid in a short amount of time.

Cons

There's not really anything that I don't like about this software.

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Stan: Thank you for your review. We have shared this with the entire team as an affirmation of their hard work.

Joshua from J.B.'s Grading, Inc.

Takeoffs

Pros

When I started using this software I had never used a takeoff software before and was not very good on a computer! But this software was easy to figure out and the customer service is second to none, over the years I have had questions on how to do something and they have always been there to help no matter when or what time it was. I got to meet a few of the people that works there a few years back at con expo in Vegas and they we all very nice and knew who I was just from talking tome on the phone, they are always adding new features and evolving. Great product and company, keep up the good work guys.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about this software.

Victor from TTC Construction

20 YEARS AND STILL GOING

Generally speaking, I work on developments or commercial improvements with out any information from the owners. This system provides me with basically all the information needed to compile a complete proposal with a very clear understanding of the sites.

Pros

I have use most the software in the industry over many years and Insite has been the most reliable and comprehensive programs I have used. It is fast, and provides me with everything I'm looking for when developing my estimates and presentations.

Cons

Printing options need to be improved. The ability to provide better graphic reports, and presentation layouts would be very helpful. The "print screen" works but I have seen the other guys reporting and presentation data is much more impressive! Sharing the information you see on screen in a better manor would be very helpful.

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Victor: Thank you for the review. How did 20 years go by so fast!

Richard from Lan-Co Companies Inc.

Cutting Edge Estimating

Most useful tool we have in our office. Best part is you are always there when we need help.

Pros

Ease of use and the accuracy of the take offs.

Cons

You should be able to use 2 stations at one time.

caleb from Tennoca

Industry: Civil Engineering

Pro's And Con's from field standpoint

Pros

Simplicity, This has its advantages and disadvantages. But the software was very easy to pick up on how to use. training videos were great and detailed. I have used this software for a year. Great program

Cons

This program has a few minor areas that would improve it from my preference point of view. I like switching from hi to low contrast (black to white screen) for the purpose of screen glare. I spend over 40 hrs a week on computer. The mouse arrow is locked in insite. the PDF screen allows color of mouse to change. Take-off screen does not. Therefore I cannot tell where my arrow is. This is annoying. Also, a dynamic zoom is equipped on the PDF side, this NEEDS to be on the takeoff screen also. This would greatly speed up the takeoff process!!! Please talk to someone about adding this. Last, the subgrade box should be expandable to where I can see all subgrade depths at same time. this is useful when sending a snip shot of the screen to other people A have a few other preferences, but they are non-important to the speed and effectiveness of the program

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Caleb: Thank you for the review. We keep a development database to track suggestions and each of your suggestions has already been entered and will be addressed. The missing mouse cursor is not normal though. We will contact you to figure out why.

Gary from Construction

Project Manager / Estimator

Back in 1990 I started out as a junior estimator from being a surveyor. I could do take offs the old fashion way that took days to complete. I heard of two different software companies that could do the same thing a lot faster and more accurate then the old way. I tried them both out and Insite was the most people friendly one and easy to use. I was surprised how fast take offs could be completed. I checked a project that I previously took off by hand and it really checked out very accurate. Over the years Insite has become faster and easier to use if you can believe that. From digitizing on a board to being able to use PDF & CAD files. To show you how much I liked Insite every company I have worked for after 1990 purchased the same software. I was responsible for 13 copies of Insite being sold and they are still being used today. I even purchased the last copy of Insite myself so that I can perform take-offs for myself. I wouldn't use anything else.

Pros

I like how easy it is to take off project plans to get accurate quantities.

Cons

I can not say that there is one thing I like least about this software.

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Gary: It has been a pleasure to work with you over the years. We are constantly developing faster, more accurate systems that validate graphically your numbers and to read what you wrote verifies we are on the right track.

Keith from Mountain Crest, LLC

User for over 20 years

I appreciate InSite for adding features and improvements. Keep making the software better and more powerful as it helps us get an edge over our competitors.

Pros

Ease of use is the best quality. I started in the 1990's with a little coaching from a coworker. I never had to use the tutorial or manual but I will use the manual now as I am on the elderly end of life. Several of my employers over the years had Agtek software which forced me to learn it but while Agtek had many features it was more difficult to learn and not as user friendly. I was happy to get back to InSite and do not want any other brand.

Cons

That the company is located in too cold a place which keeps me from visiting or taking a class. Come to North Carolina with your training classes!

Response from InSite Software

Replied June 2019

Keith: Thank you for your kind words. We like our snow (some of us anyway!) but it's not for everybody. All of our training classes are available on line so you can stay in your air-conditioned office and learn! And we have moved the Advanced Class at our training facility into November where the weather isn't too bad.

Bill from Takeoff Solutions

Great Civil take off tool

I have been using Insite software for about 7 or so years. I originally was trained with a competitors software and wanted to move to on screen takeoffs to help with efficiency and handle a heavy work load. This software and the tools within have really come to help understand some projects and what was really involved to get the work done. This is a great tool for small to large projects, one phase or many. The strata cut information and ability to adjust the expansion/compaction of different soil classifications is very useful to help keep the estimate realistic. I have found the Insite team to be very helpful over the years with whatever support item I may have had.

Pros

I have enjoyed using this software for years. It is fairly intuitive and designed to keep you working efficiently. The 3D live feature is a great help when inputting data points and topography. This feature helps with helping to confirm design from the drawings to help sort out pre-construction issues. The strata information really helps to understand the materials that will be cut during the project, assuming there is a soils report.

Cons

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Bill: Thank you for your review. We are constantly updating the software. Please contact us about any suggestions you may have. Many of our best features come from customers suggestions.

Chris from BBE

Great for site work takeoffs

Pros

This software is my go to for takeoffs with a pdf or even a cad file. Super simple to use and very efficient and time saving once you get the features figured out. They have recently stepped up their game in upgrading and updating the software so i expect to see more and more features in the future.

Cons

Limited in the modeling from other software i have used. But as i said, they keep rolling out more features. I expect this to change as time goes on.

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Chris: Thank you for the review. Currently you need to have Field General to export models. This will soon change to allow BIM export and TIN models for simpler projects. More complicated projects (ex: roadwork with vertical curves) will still require Field General Office. Details will be available soon.

Ricardo from Pepperdam Construction Co Inc.

Great product

my overall experience has been amazing, I don't have a background in estimating and as little as 10 months I am doing live estimates for the company I work for. and it has show me great things and a new tool for my professional career.

Pros

Its a very friendly user software that will help you tackle any take off with ease. This program facilitates the workload and helps you with efficiency. The productivity in our office skyrocket after the usage of the software due to the fact we are able to process and tackle more estimates at the time.

Cons

The only complain that I would have is that some functions are not very intuitive to the new user, and functions commands make the software become easier but they don't show you all the short commands that will help you in a job take off.

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Ricardo: We like to hear ?amazing!? With a tool as powerful as InSite training is very important. Customers current on their maintenance like your company are eligible for any of our monthly training webinars. Please contact our office to see how you can get registered.

Est-mator

Pros

ease of use, technical help including fast support, 3D view, pipe laying profiles

Cons

editing labels in subgrades or area length; not being able to use same "names" in pipes; looking at 3D subgrade and having "deep" grades/elevations

Response from InSite Software

Replied June 2019

Thank you for your review. These items are on the development list. As for the subgrade view in 3-D Live, please call. Possibilities include using a daylight boundary where there isn't an existing surface, or an adjustment in the proposed grade triangulation settings. Please call and we can help.

Stuart from Division 2 Estimating

InSite Experience

Pros

Eliminated need for digitizer board. Stacking sub-grades. Copying surfaces and layers from one section to another.

Cons

During CAD import, inability to break poly-lines into segments or combine multiple line segments into one continuous line.

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Stuart: Thank you for your review. In CAD Import, under Options/Polyline Conversion, make sure the check box is selected and set a tolerance of .01 or greater. Also, please watch video Lesson 17 Advanced Contour Editing. Or just call us and we can show you!

Jim from Hammond Estimating and Consulting

Insite Earthwork Software Review

I have used Insite since 1989. Great people, Great support!

Pros

This program is extremely accurate and always improving!

Cons

Minor software issues always exist with any program. The team at Insite is always resolving these issues on a daily basis.

Response from InSite Software

Replied June 2019

Jim: Thank you for the review. It's hard to believe it's been 30 years. Thank you for all your tips and suggestions!

Steve from Western Concrete

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

My opinion

Pros

I like that you can put in layers in depth or elevation. Very easy to do take offs. Easy to read the reports.

Cons

The way you have to tie in concrete curbs

Response from InSite Software

Replied June 2019

Steve: Thank you for your review. We aren't quite sure about what you mean with concrete curbs. We will call you to find out.

James from Nosal Builders

Quality Earthwork estimating software

Pros

Has extreme control of earthwork quanities, including entering geotechnical boring data to help determine stripping regions, unsuitable soils and rock/ledge. Also has the ability to digitize pipe work for sanitary sewer work, drainage, water, gas, electrical and tel./communications to accurately get the answers needed for a comprehensive take off.

Cons

Insite Sitework is fun to use and the speed of performing quality takeoff data leaves little for "cons" I seriously can not think of one!

Randell from Carter Site Services

InSite Sitework review

Pros

The program is user friendly and very easy to learn.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that I do not like at this time.

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Randell: Thank you for your review!

Donnie from Spectrum Contracting Services Inc.

Update to cloud

My overall experience with InSite is the best experience I've ever had with a software provider. I have gotten service at 2 a.m. and on Super Bowl Sunday. The service is always timely and professional with a commitment to solve the problem.

Pros

The product is great but the services even greater

Cons

File management Is not as user-friendly as I would like. Perhaps it is because we store data on a server and are program files are on our computers.

Reynolds from Funston Company

Great Takeoff Software

Insite is a great takeoff software that allows you to quickly and accurately takeoff civil cad or pdf plans with ease.

Pros

Easy to use, accurate, with great functionality, and product support

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to get the scaled print setup to print on a full size page

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Reynolds: Thank you for your review. One tip about printing to plotters we advise is to print to PDF first. Give us a call and we can show you how.

David from DiMarco Construtors LLC

Earthwork Program all Site Estimators should work with.

I have jammed out some quick estimates that needed to be more accurate, but was sufficient to get rough Budgets. I did highly accurate work and was able to adjust grading on projects to minimize costs.

Pros

Always updating the programs. I have been with them from the early days and Digitized it in. Not anymore with the constant updating every thing is done on the pdfs and cadd import.

Cons

I don't have enough time to work with it and to take the classes.

Response from InSite Software

Replied May 2019

Dave: Thank you for the kind words. Finding time for training can be tough, but we run each class monthly and they are each about two hours long. The feedback has been very positive in terms of value. Learning a few new tricks can really speed your progress.

Jacob from Vaughn Dirtworks

Life saver

Pros

I love the ease of use for each function

Cons

I don’t like the page selector in the pdf viewer it doesn’t scale well

Alex from Deig Bros. Lumber & Construction

Insite Software Review

Pros

The speed at which recognizing the contour lines and how efficient the software is in performing take offs.

Cons

This software will take a lot of time to get used to. Be sure to keep your manual close.