All InSite Elevation Pro Reviews

rick

Construction, 2-10 employees

My Company has been a user of Insite software for 24 years

I would highly recommend Insite & Field General. I use Insite for our earthwork quantities, pipe excavation and backfill quantities, subgrade material quantities, finish grade quantities asphalt, concrete and topsoil. And fine the quantities to be very accurate. I use Field General for our field survey and GPS layout. I build my own TINS for our GPS machine control. They are very accurate and easy to build in Field General.

PROS

Insite/ Field General has always been on the cutting edge of the technology. Whether it's been digitizer takeoff, PDF takeoff or CAD takeoff

CONS

Some of the reports could be a little more detailed. But all in all everything is okay

Rick: We appreciate your kind words. We are just about to launch new classes for building models with Field General. Watch the newsletter for details. Let's screen share and find out what it is you are looking for in reports.

MacKenzie

User Friendly Program

Overall this program has helped our company feel more confident about the cut/fill numbers we are using.

PROS

I appreciate how straight forward the program is. I am able to use this product to visualize the proposed site which is useful in figuring the logistics of the project.

CONS

Sometimes reading the reports can be a little confusing but it takes practice to understand.

Reasons for switching to InSite Elevation Pro

I had previously used InSite at a previous company and Earthworks did not have all the functions InSite offered.

MacKenzie, thank you for your positive review. If you would like help clarifying the reports, we recommend taking the class Earthwork 2 available at https://insitesoftware.com/training/

Mike

Reviewed March 2020

Im still learning the software, but the customer support help has been helpful

PROS

The customer support help has been very helfpul. I also like seeing the color for depths of cuts and fills

CONS

It takes some time getting used to but im learning

Mike, thank you for the review. To speed up the learning process, we recommend taking our webinar classes, https://insitesoftware.com/training/. That hour, to an hour and a half commitment to each training class, is designed to help you become a proficient user of InSite.

Adam

Reviewed February 2023

Elevation Pro Review

I'm happy with it. Certain things such as a freehand mode could make it easier to use, but it allows me to perform takeoffs quickly and accurately.

PROS

Takeoff can be done very quickly. Alignment is easy. Simple to make adjustments if there's a mistake.

CONS

When using some messy vectorized PDFs, the magnetic feature can jump around a lot.

Reasons for switching to InSite Elevation Pro

Insite is much better (It was Insite SiteWork at the time)

Adam, thank you for your review. You can see why we decided to develop an entirely new product using our years of experience. We appreciate your business running both. "Messy vectorized PDFs" often have layer management. A good technique is to select a feature to find what layer it is on and shut of the rest. If it's not layered, the magnetic selection is really there to help, but you need to learn the technique of effectively using it. There is a really good video called "Magnetic Endpoint Selection" in Help/Video Tutorials that explains the technique really well. Learning this will speed your takeoffs even more.

Jason

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Great software

All in all it’s a great Softwear. I’ve used a other company program and had lots of issues with inconsistencies. Since switching to Insite we’ve been able to generate a more consistent bid.

PROS

How simple it was to pick up and start working with it.

CONS

I would like to see a change or improvement on the offset tool. It at times can be daunting

Reasons for switching to InSite Elevation Pro

The inconsistency I was having and the difficulty it was to upload to gps equipment

Jason, thank you for the review. We are close to releasing Elevation, which replaces the offset tool to streamline the process of modeling. Make sure you are signed up for our Newsletter (insitesoftware.com/support) to keep abreast of what is happening!

Replied April 2021

Cory

22 years of Insite!!

InSite has been great. I started my career using InSite and when I moved to another company, they were using Paydirt and that really was a downgrade. After a couple years, i was able to convince them to switch to InSite Sitework an everyone has been happy ever since.

PROS

I have been using InSite Sitework since I graduated College way back in 1998. This software was so easy to learn by a kid who didn't really know anything about dirt at the time. It really did help me learn about the industry from a hands on experience from the office to the field. I don't recall how many times I have called support, but each time has been a great learning experience.

CONS

Not to many, but i would only suggest adding perimeter lengths to subgrades since we need to know some lengths around buildings and parking lots. We have to trace some of these twice to get the info we need. Also add the surface area of rock alert so we could figure out areas to drill. (this has only been an issue a few times over my career). Lastly, the shrink/swell is a little different thinking than us dirt guys use. We tend to just do this by hand on our own. The theory is close but we approach it a little differently than the software.

Reason for choosing InSite Elevation Pro

Past experience of InSite was my selling point to Ownership and probably the high price of Agtek.

Reasons for switching to InSite Elevation Pro

As stated above, I used it InSite at my previous employer and suggested the change.

Cory, thank you for your review, enthusiasm and suggestions. We are happy to have you as a long time InSite customer. Many of the recommendations are already in process!

Stan

InSite Estimating Software

My experience with learning the the software program and knowing the software personally has made me more valuable to the owner of the company, thus my level of pay has increased. To the owner he know that he will get a accurate takeoff, knowing the quantities are spot on and I can produce more work, which means more jobs can be taken off in a short period of time.

PROS

InSite software has been a fantastic tool for me, I have been using the program for 10 years now and has saved me so much time on estimating a project. Just that in itself pays for the program. I have found that the quantities it provides is spot on. It takes a lot of the guesswork out on bidding, knowing that you know your material quantities and how much excavation it takes to get the job to subgrade elevations. The program was easy to learn, I like the way the team at InSite is there to help you if you have questions about the program. I like how they keep upgrading the software each year to make my job easier. I would recommend taking the classes they offer when first starting out with this program. It will make the learning curve come much quicker. One other thing I like is the result print outs, they are easy to read and comprehend. I have to admit that Insite has made my job much easier, and that means more jobs can be bid in a short amount of time.

CONS

There's not really anything that I don't like about this software.

Stan: Thank you for your review. We have shared this with the entire team as an affirmation of their hard work.

Sam

Reviewed January 2024

Cedar Lane InSite Takeoff

I like the program a lot. I wasn't sure how it could be better than the original program, but somehow they did it. It's much faster and easier to use.

PROS

I love the ease of use. The controls are very user friendly. The program is excellent at snapping to lines for grades, stripping and subgrades, making the takeoff fast, easy and accurate. I love that you can adjust the point spacing to make thing run smoother and faster as well.

CONS

I miss the fact that it doesn't have the utility feature anymore. It was nice to have everything in one package.

Reason for choosing InSite Elevation Pro

I have been using InSite products for 10 years or more now and have faith that my takeoff will be accurate.

Sam, thank you for the great review. You hit on the reason we started over with Elevation Pro even though SiteWork was very productive. Faster and Easier always means more production and that is why we exist. Of course Validation is critical in communicating results to your team and partners. As for utility takeoff, we are using the same mindset to develop the industries most productive solution using the excellent building blocks in the Elevation Pro platform. Keep an eye here for details. https://insitesoftware.com/page/utility-takeoff/

Replied January 2024

Reviewed April 2019

Great for site work takeoffs

PROS

This software is my go to for takeoffs with a pdf or even a cad file. Super simple to use and very efficient and time saving once you get the features figured out. They have recently stepped up their game in upgrading and updating the software so i expect to see more and more features in the future.

CONS

Limited in the modeling from other software i have used. But as i said, they keep rolling out more features. I expect this to change as time goes on.

Chris: Thank you for the review. Currently you need to have Field General to export models. This will soon change to allow BIM export and TIN models for simpler projects. More complicated projects (ex: roadwork with vertical curves) will still require Field General Office. Details will be available soon.

Jim

Construction, 1 employee

Insite Earthwork Software Review

I have used Insite since 1989. Great people, Great support!

PROS

This program is extremely accurate and always improving!

CONS

Minor software issues always exist with any program. The team at Insite is always resolving these issues on a daily basis.

Jim: Thank you for the review. It's hard to believe it's been 30 years. Thank you for all your tips and suggestions!

Dave

Reviewed September 2022

Insite Elevation Pro Review

Overall experience is good. Good customer service

PROS

Elevation Pro is much better than the previous version. Its easy to use and the multi page alignment is quick and easy.

CONS

Sometimes the proposed lines are difficult if trying to do them automatically.

Overall Value

Cost

Dave, Thank you for the review!

Construction, 201-500 employees

Reviewed March 2023

Must-Use Software!

I have had the pleasure of using InSite Elevation Pro and talking with the customer service/ support whenever I have questions about the software. Their support is unlike any other company I have contacted as they are highly trained and experts on their software. I am always able to find a solution within minutes of contacting them. It speaks volumes and shows a company cares about its users when it has a good customer service team.

PROS

The thing that I enjoy the most about InSite Elevation Pro is that it is a constantly evolving software, with new updates rolling out consistently through the year. The node snapping is super useful and saves so much time when tracing gradelines, subgrades, and strip areas.

CONS

The only feature that I feel could be improved is with the subgrades and stripping. If a higher tier subgrade/ strip area overlaps a lower tier subgrade/ strip area, there should not be a blending of the two colors, as it makes it a little confusing. Instead, the higher tier should override like it did in the previous versions.

John, thank you for the great review. Our support team is usually on the end of "I have a problem" call/email and these reviews are great to show them, so they know how much they are appreciated. As for the shading of Subgrades and Stripping. The Takeoff window gives you the true look at what the stacking is doing, just like before. We have heard your comment before, and we have a significant improvement coming. Keep loading the updates!

Keith

User for over 20 years

I appreciate InSite for adding features and improvements. Keep making the software better and more powerful as it helps us get an edge over our competitors.

PROS

Ease of use is the best quality. I started in the 1990's with a little coaching from a coworker. I never had to use the tutorial or manual but I will use the manual now as I am on the elderly end of life. Several of my employers over the years had Agtek software which forced me to learn it but while Agtek had many features it was more difficult to learn and not as user friendly. I was happy to get back to InSite and do not want any other brand.

CONS

That the company is located in too cold a place which keeps me from visiting or taking a class. Come to North Carolina with your training classes!

Keith: Thank you for your kind words. We like our snow (some of us anyway!) but it's not for everybody. All of our training classes are available on line so you can stay in your air-conditioned office and learn! And we have moved the Advanced Class at our training facility into November where the weather isn't too bad.

Bill

Construction, 1 employee

Great Civil take off tool

I have been using Insite software for about 7 or so years. I originally was trained with a competitors software and wanted to move to on screen takeoffs to help with efficiency and handle a heavy work load. This software and the tools within have really come to help understand some projects and what was really involved to get the work done. This is a great tool for small to large projects, one phase or many. The strata cut information and ability to adjust the expansion/compaction of different soil classifications is very useful to help keep the estimate realistic. I have found the Insite team to be very helpful over the years with whatever support item I may have had.

PROS

I have enjoyed using this software for years. It is fairly intuitive and designed to keep you working efficiently. The 3D live feature is a great help when inputting data points and topography. This feature helps with helping to confirm design from the drawings to help sort out pre-construction issues. The strata information really helps to understand the materials that will be cut during the project, assuming there is a soils report.

CONS

Not much that I don't like. There are a few commands that are used in competitive software that a similar feature would be nice.

Bill: Thank you for your review. We are constantly updating the software. Please contact us about any suggestions you may have. Many of our best features come from customers suggestions.

Construction, 201-500 employees

Reviewed February 2020

InSite Siteworks is great with room for improvement

InSite has been a pleasure to use and see implement new features over the years. I'm excited to see where they continue to improve. Support is also top notch!

PROS

Recent added features are excellent (i.e. cloud licensing). Subgrade from line-work is probably my most used feature that has been introduced in the past 3 years. It is a huge time saver! The reports are nicer, and being able to see the 3D model of the existing or proposed grades allows you to see if you made any input errors.

CONS

The way you can accidentally copy over a section if you aren't careful. I've done this once before and it was a time killer. Not being able to reassign a subgrade "section" a new number. Not being able to create a subgrade from an existing subgrade (i.e. creating a curb from using an asphalt outline with an offset). Not being able to edit the shape of an existing subgrade. Increase the number of strata levels allowed to be entered. The pipe utility is probably our least used feature and something we would use more if given an overhaul.

Michael, thank you for your balanced review. Most of your suggestions are in our design goals and many of them will be addressed in the upcoming InSite Elevation Pro, which will be release later this year. You will get a prompt to download when it is available.

Evan

Civil Engineering, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2023

Insite Elevation Pro 6 Stars!

I have had a great experience with InSite Elevation Pro. Leveraging its powerful features to improve project outcomes, while benefiting from its user-friendly interface and customizable design options has been incredible.

PROS

Insite is a powerful tool, It has accurate elevation measurements, an easy to use interface, easily integrates with other software and is very customizable.

CONS

When creating a subgrade, contour, stripping area, site boundary, etc. Not being able to add a point is frustrating. You either have to add another one or delete it and redraw it if you don't have enough points.

Evan, thank you for 6 Stars! About adding points: Take a look at lesson 10.04 Most of the time the spacing tool is used to lesson points, but you can also use it to add points. Another more surgical way to add points is described in 21.02 Intersect - Add Points. We hope this helps!

Efrain