What are Onshape users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Onshape software through verified user reviews

• icon"Easy to use and easy to understand from the outset. Very easy to create simple models, hitting the ground running."
  • icon"From the few years, I've been using it, they are also constantly improving the features available and also refining the user interface."
  • icon"Alongside this core functionality run integrated versioning and access control features. This, together with the simple subscription model make it a fantastic tool for designers."
  • icon"It is difficult to use in large architectural projects and offline access to the model."
  • icon"The lack of private projects with free accounts is also a bummer, but not a major issue by any means."
  • icon"The Onshape product does have a handful of commands which are hard to find even when you search using keywords."

Browse all Onshape Reviews

• Have you used Onshape and would like to share your experience with others?

Murilo

Great software for 3D printers hobbyist

We can find easier tools on the internet like Tinkercad, but Onshape can deliver much more, like a professional and expensive tools can deliver, but you get it for free, you just need to spend a little time learning how to use it, but this time learning is very well paid off.

Pros

During this pandemic period I bought a 3D printer and started using it printing mainly already defined and available 3D models on the internet. Then I realized that I could myself produce my own 3D models and I found on Onshape the perfect tool for it. It also has great features that allows you to produce perfect models.

Cons

At the beginning Onshape seems complicated to use, but it is not, you just need to watch on Youtube some tutorials to start modeling your own 3D models. Anyway I can not complain about this tool, as the free version delivers what I need and much more.

Reasons for switching to Onshape

Using Onshape I can better design the models, with perfect control of distance between parts of the model, producing models with higher quality.

As advertised, Google Docs for 3D design.

Went to Onshape from Autodesk Inventor out of necessity when school switched to remote learning, probably not going to go back. Onshape does nearly everything students would do in Inventor, but they can now access the program anywhere, whereas we only have one computer lab with Inventor. The only thing Inventor has over Onshape is the interactive tutorials that walk students through basic features within the software. Tutorial videos from OnShape aren't really the same, and ability to work offline would also be nice.

Pros

When students share their document with me I can view the document history to make sure it was that student who did all the work or keep track of who did what in a group project. I can help students remotely by making live changes to their document regardless of if it is a part studio or an assembly. We can voice or video chat while we both look live at the same document.

Cons

There is no way to do contact sets, which can make some assemblies not behave the way I would like. Additional joints can be a work-around in some cases, but not all. A way for parts to interact with each other would be a significant upgrade.

Reasons for choosing Onshape

More robust than SketchUp and at the time we went with onshape there wasn't a fully online version of Fusion 360 available.

Reasons for switching to Onshape

Fusion 360 has since added an online option so we have used that some since the switch, but Inventor had no online option. So with remote learning online was the only option as most students don't have storage to download a large program like Inventor.

Samridh

Few Issues but great for Free CAD learning experience

Pros

I have been using Onshape for a while and for one of my Senior Graduate class project, I sued Onshape to help new CAD students get some experience as well. It is definitely a very popular online CAD program among many Mechanical Engineering students. It definitely cannot beat Solidworks in terms of ease of use but I would recommend it for following reasons - Its FREE to use Why not get your feet wet into the CAD design world with a tool that is free to use. One can easil get the basics of CAD modeling through this software. - Online Cloud based software We all know anything that is online and cloud based means it can be accessed anywhere if you have access to internet. No need to install huge GB of software on your machine instead just get a high speed internet and get on with the modeling. And yes, it doesn't care if you have a Windows are a Mac so that's a plus. - Features Sketch, Extrude, Hole, Mirror, Chafing anything you need to do for CAD, Onshape has it. It is fast and assembly and mating process is intuitive and works really well. For something that is free, cloud based, online and easily accessible this is one of the best CAD programs I have used and I would recommend it to anyone. Onshape has tons of documentation so learning is fun. For a beginner in CAD Onshape is the way to go.

Cons

This software has some cons which is not a dealbreaker bit definitely something to keep an eye out for, - Crashes During my project and online use it did crash on me multiple times. Refreshing the page helped but sometimes I did have to start a new project. - Almost as good as Solidworks but not quite If i were to compare it I would say it is 70% as good as solidworks - Has it's own terminologies Onshape has it's own features and terminologies which one has to be accustomed to. Onshape does provide online lot of documents and vocabularies so if you have time to spend reading that, it is not that bad.

Terran

Industry: Research

What more could you ask for?

I love Onshape. I now use it exclusively for all my 3D printing projects because of its accessibility. And it's free!

Pros

a browser based CAD program? Super convenient! Especially when working on Linux where other software packages are unavailable. I find that Onshape has all the features and functionality I've ever needed, and the best part is I don't have to take up space on my computer with expensive software!

Cons

Sometimes the features are a bit tricky to find and use. I often have to google and look through forums to figure out how to accomplish a particular design.

Reasons for switching to Onshape

Onshape is easier to use and has a better community behind it.

Godwin

Amazing Cloud Based CAD Tool

I have designed machine parts in Onshape that went on to be 3D printed.

Pros

It is cloud based! The fact that you do not require a high performance computer to use Onshape effectively is a huge win. Allows you to design even on smart mobile devices. Sharing design with others is relatively easy. No risk of crashes. Very easy to learn and use even for someone new to Computer Aided Design. It allows users to use pre-existing parts in their designs or assemblies.

Cons

I anticipate the inclusion of 3D sketching capabilities in up coming updates. Yes it requires the internet to use, this doesn't really favour usage in regions where there's no or poor internet connection.

Reasons for switching to Onshape

Onshape is less likely to crash, runs faster and simpler.

Felix

Great Software for 3D Parametric CAD and Easily Accessible

Overall, using OnShape has been a walk in the park. The user experience of it was fluid, even on a 6 year old Macbook Pro on base specs, not something I could say about Solidworks or AutoCAD. It is fully featured and not having to worry about files, using the built-in cloud integration is great. I would not hesitate to recommend OnShape to anyone interested in picking up CAD or even small CAD shops.

Pros

Coming into the 3D printing world as a student hobbyist, OnShape was a wonderful introduction to 3D CAD and modeling concepts. It was easy and intuitive to pick up (without an engineering degree), and their instructions videos detailed all the primary features you will need. I am by no means a CAD or engineering professional, so I speak to this software from purely a hobbyist and 3D printing nerd standpoint. It was easy for me to pick up and learn, and the fact that the software operated on a browser (I use Safari) was amazing. The cloud integration was solid and robust, albeit only allowing public models and documents on free accounts. I was able to log into any workstation near me and be able to pull up a model and work on it. The decoupling of compute and processing power from the base hardware was also refreshing when it came to unknown pieces of hardware. In my makerspace, I primarily operated on not-so-amazing machines compared to my home workstation, so the ability to be portable and rely on cloud processing was nice. There wasn't really anything I wanted to do from a basic parametric 3D CAD software that I couldn't do on OnShape. From the few years, I've been using it, they are also constantly improving the features available and also refining the user interface. Admittedly, the versioning system which comprised of different branches was a little unexpected in ​CAD software​ but is very paralleled to code-versioning software like Git.

Cons

The hardest part about the software was being able to find other people who used it to teach you about it. Being rather new to the CAD scene, OnShape does have as widespread ​adoption as SolidWorks or AutoCAD, so being able to find others who used it was challenging. Ultimately though, with the decent amount of support documentation detailing the features and some very helpful forum posts, the lack of user experiences could be overlooked. The interface and usage is also quite different from the traditional CAD's was also a bit of a challenge, if you eventually find yourself migrating or using one from time to time. The lack of private projects with free accounts is also a bummer, but not a major issue by any means.

Teboho

One of the best designing software's you can use for your company or freelancing

The benefits is that it is not expensive, and the fact that one project with its different parts all combined into one file is something that I really like about the software. That really helps to access drawings much easier for a certain part that you want.

Pros

The best thing is that the software is not complicated to learn and with the tutorial vids that are available on the website makes it easier to learn. As well as the supporting team which is always available to respond to the questions is one of the outstanding things someone can get from the service they are paying for.

Cons

There are still some features that I feel like the company has to still work on, like having more options if you want to mate parts in an assembly. As well as making it much more easier to automatically change parts that have been created in-context of the parts you are working on. But with time I still believe this can be the best designing software.

Reasons for switching to Onshape

The pricing of the software and also with Onshape you can access it from anywhere you are as long you have internet access.

Rick

Industry: Defense & Space

Instant CAD functionality presented in a brand new way!

OnShape has helped me to do designs of my ideas right where I am, no matter if the computer has CAD installed or not. It has enabled me to keep all my CAD files in one place and always accessible. I have been able to present designs to clients and keep them posted of progress in much easier ways that traditional CAD allows. I would highly recommend OnShape to anyone who is looking for a fresh idea in their CAD sphere.

Pros

What I like the most about OnShape is that it is based in the cloud. It is so convenient that I don't have to install an application on my computer to use it, but rather, it just works. OnShape has taken the idea of Computer Aided Design (CAD) and given an entirely new spin to it, introducing unique ways of performing mates (which I love), as well as integral versioning of parts. The mobile app is also amazing and makes life so much easier!

Cons

As with any cloud platform, if your bandwidth is not great, you're going to have a bad time. The platform tends to lag at high internet usage times in my area, but not too much to complain about. I also found it difficult to use the platform the first few times due to the lack of built in tutorials.

Kent

Versatile and unencumbered

Fantastic versatility. I never wait more than an hour when I post a question to the forum. Other users are so eager to help.

Pros

I can run this on a $249 Chromebook, and do. It displays equally well on phones and tablets. I also very much like the fact there is no installation and the software is always up to date (because there is not software). When I need to share CAD data with customers, not it's no worry now as I share a link and they instantly have whatever information I wish to share, right in their browser. How many times does a design take a big turn, or the operator breaks some thing severely? I adore the fact I can go back in time to my very first sketch either backing up to a known good design or branching off with an alt. design.

Cons

Missing CAM which is slowly becoming standard in 3D CAD systems.

Ayodeji

Parametric design software with unending possibilities

I used onshape to design in a competition organized by my department in school. I had a nice experience using this software as it opens me to a new way of parametric designing.

Pros

Onshape has a lot of features like the traditional modeling softwares which makes modeling of complex design easy for a web based software. I personally like the way their tutorials are structured for different levels; basic, advance and experts. That way of learning will be more fun since they won't be bombarding you with advance stuffs which can be boring for beginners.

Cons

There is no feature for 3D sketching which slows down modeling of complex geometries. It needs internet to work which could be really frustrating in conditions and areas where internet connection is unstable or not available

Christopher

Don't sweat the hardware

Onshape was easy to start-up and allowed me to create manufacturing drawings in short order. The limiting factor was my lack of 3D modelling experience. The customer support team is responsive, supportive and generally understanding.

Pros

Are you shopping for computers based on the specs required for your software? Stop it. You don't install Onshape as it is a web based application. Log-in and go! The processing of your work is managed over several (many) severs so there is no crashing and your work is constantly autosaved with minimal to no loss of data. Onshape has monthly releases of new features and upgrades.

Cons

Printing is a bit of a pain; gotta export / download file and then print.

Reasons for choosing Onshape

There were no additional hardware costs or installation, and the risk of set-up headaches seemed to be minimal.

Bob

I am a consulting mechanical product designer with almost 25 years experience.

I try and get my clients to migrate to Onshape all of the time. The benefits I get from the software are too many to list, but some of my favorites: No dedicated computer or server required Built-in PDM system Onshape always saves all of my work, all the time.

Pros

The best thing about Onshape is that you can use any computer, tablet or phone as long as it has a browser. There is nothing to install, no "versions" to contend with, and I never lose my work because the software crashes. Onshape is very intuitive for those coming from other 3D CAD packages, there are just a few work flow learning curves, (working with part studios) but other than that, very easy to learn. Another great functionality of Onshape is the built in PDM. Onshape does not only allow you to build parts, moving assemblies, and drawings, you may also upload images, PDFs, Excel sheets, Word documents, etc. The ability to keep all of your files within a single Onshape document can save hours when tracking spec sheets and other pertinent information. I use Onshape when my clients do not have or require a specific CAD program/software, it allows me to share the data with them and smoothly collaborate at all times. Most of my clients utilize SolidWorks and I try to move them over to Onshape whenever possible. Onshape works well with SolidWorks however, when there is a need for both, it allows for a lot of other options that were not there in the past. Lastly, one more great thing about Onshape is that they are constantly updating the software, it gets better each month. Better still is the fact that the updates are automatic, there are no patches, just open your browser and its there waiting for you.

Cons

The only con I can really think of would be it's limitations through the past, but this is to be expected of a brand new software program. Not having the ability to develop sheet metal parts in the beginning was rough, but I also have to say, when Onshape does deliver on what is lacking, it's always above and beyond my expectations.

Industry: Railroad Manufacture

Has the possibility to be the new CAD paradigm like SolidWorks was back in 96 when I left 2D CAD

No real benefits yet, but hopeful.

Pros

Support is responsive, pricing is fine, love the 'pay by the use' subscription format for advanced features seldom used like FEA. Will be a great all around CAD platform for small flexible companies like ours when its fully featured. I'm very interested in seeing what CAD designed without 20 years of baggage will look like when OnShape is mature. For the amateur, hobbyist, and students; Onshape should be the first system they learn on. Back in the day I used to steer these people to Alibre when asked for a 3D CAD recommendation because they likely couldn't justify the high entry price of SolidWorks and its maintenance. My hope is that Onshape gets this market and most of the small businesses like ours. I do recommend that Onshape come up with a lower tier plan between free and the current paid plan that allows really small organizations to grow in their financial commitment over time. Something token priced per user limited to forum support and limited cloud memory for a longer term test drive. This could accelerate Onshapes replacement of SW because small commercial users can start experimenting without the public files. Picture rouge Engineers in a company already paying for SW that might want to show something to management and shouldn't have to pay per month personally to keep a small amount of company files private!

Cons

OnShape is not quite ready for us to use on our bigger projects. Like watching the Matrix movies I'm dying to figure out how they keep 'branches' and the current 'versioning' paradigms and also allow part and assembly configurations that should not require an exact linear history. I really hope they do better than the Matrix movies in closing the loop. If they were more open about when we could expect 'configurations' to be ready, my team might be able to jump to bigger projects sooner. But modeling without 'configurations' is really hard for those of us who grew up on SW. It is the king of all built in work-arounds in my design methodology and the longer I try doing things in Onshape the more I realize configurations are a key requirement of mine. They also need to get conical and cylindrical sheet metal as this is sending me back to SolidWorks on some simple jobs I should have gotten done in Onshape, even without configurations. I have less Pros than Cons to talk about at the moment, but my true feelings are demonstrated by the fact that I'm still investing my time in using the software as much as I can, I'm hoping that this can be our primary CAD system in the next 6 to 24 months. SW didn't have that much to offer by 1998 so OnShape is likely comparable in its advancement along this path.

Simon

Very happy with this modern cloud based solution with 5 stars customer support!

Cost effective modern cloud based solution that is efficient, powerful and secure.

Pros

OnShape is a simple-to-use yet powerful parametric modern cloud based software that allows me to collaborate easily with my team. Forget about heavy and expensive CAD work station. I've been most of all my mechanical design on a MacBook Air in Safari. As a frequent traveler, I can access and work on my model on any computer as long as there's reasonable internet connection and google chrome. The data system is so powerful that I've never experienced a single error message caused by data corruption. This was a serious problem I had with Solidworks in the past. Since it's a cloud based system, my data is securely backed up with full traceability down to every single change I made to the model. Whenever I have questions or see a bug in the system, I can easily report it to OnShape's technical using the feedback system. Bugs are usually fixed within days after it's reported. Forget about upgrading or installing new patches, it's always the latest version as soon as you login. Thanks to it's cloud based technology! OnShape is frequently updated so that patches and new features can be incorporated in no time!

Cons

The only issue I have is offline access to the models I have OnShape. OnShape does provide the option of exporting models into numerous formats so that you could open them with conventional non-cloud based software. However, I still have trouble opening them with common software like eDrawings. Ultimate, I would prefer to have an OnShape software on my computer that could sync the data I would like to view whenever I go offline. This is important, as I don't always have an internet connection when I need to present my models to my client when traveling overseas. So it'd be great if OnShape could look at better view-only offline support. Where I can view a read-only model and jot down comments. When I'm back online, I can edit it on my browser.

Ethan

Onshape is a good fit for me and my startup. It was not a good fit when I tried at a larger company.

I think I laid out most of the benefits previously. It's an excellent CAD tool that fits the needs of my startup. In the future, I'm excited to see how the product adapts to a changing market. Are drawings going to continue to be the golden standard of conveying information? If so, I would hope that you continue to develop drawings, as they are less robust than other drawing solutions on the market (SW, AC). If we start to see a larger trend towards model based definition, will that work essentially the same as view only sharing? Machine shops will have a better answer than I do. One thing I really miss from SW was that my sheet metal vendor had an automatic quoting add-on. I just pushed a few buttons, selected materials and I could shoot a purchase order request out in minutes. I'm curious to see how that kind of automation works its way into the product. As I've stated, I'm pretty happy with Onshape so far. Even though I have a couple small gripes, the benefit of knowing that I'm working with tools that I expect to endure better than 'traditional' CAD tools offers me enough peace of mind that we're willing to put up with a decent amount of frustration along they way if it comes.

Pros

I really love how fast I can put my assemblies together with fasten mates. I really love not having to fix broken relations, or deal with other horrible manifestations of Dassault Enterprise PDM. Having a git-like structure has a learning curve, but it much easier to manage. In Onshape, things generally behave the way I expect them to. This may seem a little straightforward, but it's amazing how frequently this isn't the case, even with historied, expensive, enterprise software. I love how often I get to see a preview of my document as a model and not just a file name. I love the idea (I don't get a lot of opportunity to use this feature, yet) of being able to share a model in view only mode to anyone. I use the android app on my Pixel XL, and it runs really amazingly well, which is super convenient for those days in the shop I want to check a measurement, but don't want to print and bring drawings (mostly days I waterjet parts and need to do a small amount of post processing).

Cons

Needing to have internet access when I use it! Sometimes I just have a few minutes between here and there, or want to be able to work from a cafe. With software, I can just commit as I go and push when it's convenient. I understand why Onshape needs constant internet access to function, but it's occasionally a pain. Performance has occasionally been an issue. I'm mostly using two different beefy workstation desktops (one linux, one windows, both chrome), and I have high expectations from my time working in Solidworks. Sometimes it just takes longer than I feel like it should to rotate a model or move something that has freedom within an assembly. Very small movements can be a little finicky. Same goes for selection through transparency. The other thing I like least is the pricing model. When I was at a larger startup, we had floating licences of SW that worked really well for us. I tried to work on transitioning the team to Onshape, with one of the promises being that we would be able to save some money along the way. In the end, it would have been significantly more expensive than the floating licence system we were using, which ended up being a surprise. Sure, people can jump on and off month by month, but it's much more of a day to day, and even hour to hour thing with when people need to hop on CAD. I don't know what a better system than you have would be, to be honest, I just know it was a pain point when a larger company I was at looked into transitioning.

Brian

Industry: Plastics

As a 3D printing professional I found Onshape delivered everything promised and more.

The ability to design and produce complex 3D printed objects that fit together perfectly. Also the ability to visualize assemblies and make modifications before they are produced. I also found it indispensable in producing exploded diagrams and parts catalogues. Overall the software is an essential tool for product development, from initial concept to finished product.

Pros

I gave it 4/5 for ease of use but only because there is an initial learning curve to figure out what all the buttons do. After that, the sky is the limit. The software is Fast, easy to use and once you get the hang of it very intuitive. Complex shapes, such as screw threads, are straight forward to produce. The key is just to know what you want to make, and once you get that clear in your own head, you guide the program to make exactly what you want. As a visual learner I felt fully at home with Onshape. I output my finished designs as STL files and send them directly to my 3D printer. Results are impressive and a great advertisment for 3D printing in general. Would I recommend Onshape to others? absolutely, and if you are thinking about 3D printing do even start without getting Onshape first. My rating 5 star.

Cons

No real cons that I can think of, other than the initial learning curve as already mentioned. But that said, Onshape's own documentation and user forums are excellent, so there are no real problems to report. Only improvement I could think of is to suggest you get a 3D connexion mouse to compliment the software and use it to its full potential.

Nick

Industry: Furniture

Onshape is my 5th and final 3D CAD package - I have arrived!

I spend much less time achieving much more, more reliably than before I found Onshape!

Pros

The (deceptively) simple, very powerful user interface Amazing, multi-part part studios The reliabity of the software and the way it "just works" Being better suited to woodworking than anything else I am aware of Being able to pick up on a design at home after work without having done ANYTHING Quality, speed and pleasantness of support! The problem being keeping up with releases rather than waiting 18 months to find that X wasn't included after all! Being able to add in your own features using FeatureScript! The amazing new 3D curves and surface generating features allowing me to accomplish things I hadn't succeeded in doing with other CAD software! The app store for all the addons that are not core-CAD Feeling "listened to" when making suggestions or struggling with something! The effort the team put into "joined up thinking", getting things "right" and the many decisions they have got right already

Cons

No internet = no CAD (but not actually been a problem yet!) The lack of configurations (as yet) The lack of any visual representation of materials in the workspace beyond colour and transparancy (wood, metal, glass, plastic re: SW or inventor) The way variables (parameters) are managed (looking forward to what is coming but this one has felt like a long wait)

Response from Onshape

Hi Nick! Thanks for your feedback as always. I'm excited to see how you enjoy our upcoming releases! Please keep me posted if you need anything in the meantime.

Replied August 2017

Ed

Exciting start to real cloud CAD

Relatively low cost of ownership thanks to the subscription model and the modest hardware requirement. Once learnt the system is faster to use than our previous CAD.

Pros

The new ways of working that the marketing talk pushes so hard really do have some significant advantages. The integrated version control is brilliant - unlimited undo, branching, merging and visual differencing. Real time collaboration works well but persuading suppliers to adopt a new process can be tricky. The subscription model of both licensing and software updates works well for us. One of the most impressive aspects has been the customer support. This software is a work-in-progress. The quality is good but as with all software, users find inventive ways to break things or try the impossible. When something hasn't worked as expected the in-built feedback tool works great. I've put in several 'bugs' and feature requests and always had a response within 24 hours. Bugs fixes have made it into the next monthly release. Low hardware requirements that aren't increased with every release.

Cons

Some feature sets are more developed than others. Drawings are still improving - quite a few 'manual' tools that you'd be used to from other packages are not yet available. For me the lack of 'configurations' is frustrating but I can see this ultimately being integrated with the versioning system and being awesome.

Bill

The intelligence and insight behind the big picture structure of Onshape is astounding.

Sanity. I'm not kidding. Having the creative process constantly halted by CAD and OS bugs that never get fixed, some for decades was constant. I started using Onshape really seriously while on holiday in the back country of France when a licensee stopped paying their royalty and I had to redesign the product for production. The internet was very slow, but I got all the work done and quotes were all done before I got back home. I had all my files and all I needed to do that work in my MacbookPro, and my holiday was just as enjoyable as normal.

Pros

The underlying philosophy and structure allows unprecidented freedom to develop and record creative ideas. Pretty well everything can be captured by the built-in version system, while allowing you to return occasionally to ideas that weren't so bad after all. Support is rapid, even from Australia, and new feature requests get answered - in weeks! The interface is cleaner, more logically grouped and simpler than any CAD I've seen over the last 40 years. It often makes me smile and almost never makes me swear. And that is a delightful reversal of normal for me.

Cons

Some commands are hard to find. Searching help through key words can be unhelpful. The feature set is naturally not quite as complete as older CAD systems.

Jarom

Great customer support

Onshape is really nice for working on a project with other people because of the realtime edits you can do. It is kind of like a google doc where everyone can be there working and changing things. It has worked really well in our little startup group.

Pros

There are three things that I have really enjoyed with Onshape. I love that it is cloud based. No more having to save, or worry about losing anything. I also love using is the versions tree. This helps a lot in design to be able to make different versions and compare them easily and quickly. Lastly, their customer service has been spot on. Their team checks in on us regularly to make sure we are doing okay and I have been able to easily schedule a time with someone to help me build a part that I am struggling to build. They are very patient and willing to help in any way.

Cons

The surfacing still has a ways to go, but has been improving over the last year, so I expect it to provide most any feature needed. The only other complaint is the multiple selection feature. Instead of using shift or control to select multiple items, it is set so you can just click anything and it adds it to the selection group(without pressing any other button). While this might sound nice, it gets really annoying and you end up selecting multiple features/parts/items without wanting to.

Onshape makes life easy

Pros

Infinite computing, makes it possible to work from anywhere and model quickly, even from my iPad or netbook. The lofting feature blows other CAD systems out of the water. Seriously the loft feature you have now is unbelievably good. The "git" style versioning is genius. I never worry about loosing work, breaking assemblies, etc. The versioning in Onshape is my favorite feature IN ANY SOFTWARE. I wish every piece of software worked this way. The collaboration I do now with clients is ONLY possible in Onshape. I can work thousands of miles away from my client but they still feel in complete control. They can access their assets without even contacting me which is so amazing. The shear peace of mind that all of my CAD assets and references are safely stored on the cloud gives me amazing confidence working on projects for clients.

Cons

Adobe Illustrator polylines, DXF and DWG import/ingest needs major improvement. Going from Illustrator to Onshape is kind of a pain in the butt right now. So many designs come from Illustrator or EPS, and being able to digest polylines would be so great. Google font support in the text tool would also be helpful. Only 5 fonts or so are available now which is very limited.

Florian

Industry: Utilities

A new approach to CAD

Pros

The one thing you won't need when using Onshape is that foam ball to squeeze or throw through the room. Every CAx user usually has one. This is because Onshape is so portable, stable and reliable. It is a solid solid modeler with some very thought through features that are tested with the community before deploying it into the wild. The integrated PDM is something you will never get for the same cost from others.

Cons

It is first and foremost a solid modeling CAD. Don't expect electrical, piping, and complex bspline surfaces. The integrated app store will make up for that.

Charles

I have done a lot with the OnShape tool, more than I was able to with ProE Creo.

I had the opportunity to investigate some complex design issues, and try out some solutions, though I have not finished yet. I had tried this in ProE, but I found it too hard to use, and the software update issues were beyond painful...

Pros

Ease of use, and the interaction with the developers. The training webinars, and interest in helping the users. The ability to make user features is really interesting, and I have used is some. I am still learning...but it has been very positive experience so far. The integrated versioning tools are also quite helpful, and well thought out. I was using the tool almost daily, but lately, conflicting work has taken me away...have to get back.

Cons

My machines use chains, and the tools inability to deal with those, especially in an assembly, is problematic. Parts that move in 3-space when the chains move, is key also. I tweaked a pulley example, that works partially in a part window, but then disappears in the assembly. Sprockets and chain details - I have not incorporated...but those still do not move the sprockets. Also, part of the machines are cables. here I mean force transmitting cable, not electrical ones. Lining up sheaves, and visualizing the cable paths would also be a great addition. I am hoping these get supported eventually. The last thing I will mention is no external interface. I am developing the control software for the machines, but i cannot pass the kinematic and dynamic data in and how to have the software run the machine, so I am forced to investigate video game software engines to do that...That has useful results, but makes for a more complex integration and evaluation effort. I feel like I am unloading here, but the ideas might be food for thought.

Jason

Onshape changed the way we do design, interact with customers, and saves us quite a bit of money

Flexibility. We can turn licenses on and off as needed, without having to go through painful installation procedures. If we need other capabilities (such as simulation, rendering, or math tools) that Onshape does not have built in, we can add apps that make it even more powerful.

Pros

The browser-based nature of Onshape and sharing capabilities are great strengths. We can share designs with infinitely varying levels of permissions from full editing and sharing to view only in anyone's browser. This means that instead of having one person with a clunky laptop during a design review, anyone can bring up the full assemblies and / or piece parts on whatever device they bring...including their phones. One of our customers uses SolidWorks as their design tool and we use our Onshape license to both work on and share designs for viewing that no one would get to look at if they weren't looking over our shoulders at the SolidWorks workstations.

Cons

One of the main issues with Onshape is that it depends on a solid internet connection. Early on, we had some internet drop-out issues at different job sites that we have shored up now by getting a better provider and adding a hotspot for portable reliability.

Joshua

Industry: Research

Excellenty CAD collaboration platform.

We are a non-profit research university, so we use their Education license. The ability to get all the players in an instrument design on the same digital document is invaluable to us!

Pros

The collaborative features allow us to work in remote teams, often on different continents and time zones. Visual communication crosses language barriers better than any other means we know of.

Cons

The lack of well-integrated CAM makes the final step in engineering solutions a bit harder than some other packages.

Price, collaborative capapbilites