Quickbooks Online Software Reviews

Quickbooks Online Software Reviews

Find out more:

Find out more:

• icon"The ease of adding vendors and customers is great. Once you iron out the how to of the invoice templates they can be very useful to switch what is needed on each invoice per customer."
  • icon"Up time is fantastic and they always send out down alerts immediately. Love the reports to Excel - works great."
  • icon"I liked the ease of use and that it provides a sort of tutorial in the program for how to use parts of it. The help chat was also nice to see."
  • icon"I had a little bit of trouble navigating through my past transactions for previous years. Other people have been having the same problems."
  • icon"The user experience was awful compared to Xero I just could not get on with it. Unfortunately it just didn't work for me."
  • icon"I think it can crash out sometimes — I am not sure if this is more of my internet or software — but it is very annoying."

All Quickbooks Online Reviews

Quickbooks Online User Review

Jose J

November 2022

One of the Best Accounting Software for Small to Mid-sized businesses

Quickbooks online is our main tool and resource to have a quick snapshot of our accounting, sales, taxes, and profit/loss reports. Also, Quickbooks is our invoicing software and CRM.

Pros

The onboarding and migration of our company data from an offline software to Quickbooks Online was way faster than we expected. Aside from that, QuickBooks has been our main and preferred accounting and invoicing tool since 2018.

Cons

I believe Quickbooks Online reports are not that customizable like the offline Quickbooks versions. Also, there are differences managing multiple companies. We need to create and buy separate Quickbooks Online accounts for each of our companies and with the offline versions we just had to buy one set of licenses, that allowed us to manage multiple company files.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

Previous experience with Quickbooks offline versions.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

I believe Quickbooks Online has more features that we need to manage our entire business than Xero. I think Xero focuses more on accounting.

Anders

It’s the industry standard for a reason

Quickbooks helps keep my small business finances in check with features both simple enough for me to use and robust enough for my CPA to help with during tax season. I cannot imagine going back to manual invoicing, expense, and profit/loss tracking.

Pros

Quickbooks integrates with most other small business software out there that has any sort of financial functionality. Categorizing and tracking expenses, invoices, and customer history is pretty easy. Reports are readily available and clear to interpret and automatically updated. Most all Tax professionals are familiar with the software so your CPA or tax preparer can tell you exactly what quickbooks documents they need when it’s tax time. There is also a robust online community that will help if you run into issues.

Cons

Categorizing expenses, splitting invoices, and marking transactions can sometimes be clunky and more difficult than it feels it should be. Doing anything more than basic tasks usually requires a google search to figure out, but there is extensive documentation and tutorials / guides exist for nearly everything you’d want to do.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

Quickbooks is what was suggested by my tax professional as it is the industry standard.

Industry: Wireless

July 2022

Efficient Accounting Software

Highly recommend. Great product that keeps getting better.

Pros

Really easy to use, automates a number of functions, and provides a comprehensive accounting package for our small business.

Cons

My background is accounting and sometimes I get the impression that Quickbooks has tried to dumb the software down too much, which makes it harder for me to deal with anything outside the box. Calling in to support can also be really challenging.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

While Quickbooks Desktop Pro has the feel of a true accounting software, the ability to log on from anywhere and constantly keep everything current (bank links etc.) plus not having to worry about backups or upgrades, made the Online version more attractive.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Freshbooks was too basic for our needs.

Graham

Quickbooks Online for smallbusiness

Over interaction with clients has been good. Easy to explain issues and make corrections when needed.

Pros

The ability for clients to be able to share use with their external accountants.

Cons

Some of the bank import processes create duplicate entries.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

Better understanding of product that was already being used by some clients.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Needed more functionality at time.

Michelle

Easy To Use Accounting Software For Small Business Owners

My overall experience with Quickbooks Online has been positive. While there are some things that can be improved, it has served its purpose for me for the past few years. The price is fairly comparable to other online software. The only other one I have had experience with is Freshbooks but I switched to Quickbooks Online because of a promotion that gave me a much cheaper option.

Pros

QuickBooks Online is a great accounting software for busy entrepreneurs who are looking for a centralized way to keep all their billing/invoicing/expense tracking/payment processing in one place. I find it quite easy to use. It allows me to forego the expense of a physical accountant and grants me the convenience of creating and sending invoices online, accepting payment, managing invoice history and tracking expenses. Instead of having to purchase software and being relegated to one laptop, you can access this software anywhere. In addition, if you have contractors/employees, depending on your plan, you can process your payroll directly from the software which is an added bonus.

Cons

I like most of the features associated with Quickbooks Online, however, as a designer myself I think there could be a greater variety in the invoice template selection. It is very easy to brand their current templates, but as someone who values brand aesthetic highly, I would love to be able to cater the visual of the invoice to be more aligned with my brand aesthetic.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

I switched because the price of the Freshbooks software increased and QuickBooks Online happened to have a good promotion that convinced me to switch.

Gail

September 2022

Quickbooks Online is All Fluff

It looks pretty but on the back end where it matters the system is flawed and they know it. It's all fluff.

Pros

I thought it was a great product until a proper accountant and bookkeeper showed me all the many inconsistencies, flaws, and backend complications and valnerablilities of this system.

Cons

The customer support is horrendous. You can sit on hold for hours and then get a consultant who can't help you. This system ignores basic CRA requirements, will change things on its own, won't separate labour hours per project to get accurate job costing, and will not stand up to a CRA audit.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

A new accounting firm I hired used the online version. Two years later...after moving to a new accounting firm I see that no professional accountant would ever use this product.

March 2022

Decent software

My overall experience is okay. I like how easy it is to input my expenses, but I don't like how the quickbooks account is set up.

Pros

I like how easy it is to access your reports. I like how easy it is to keep up with your business expenses.

Cons

Bad customer service. They send you from one person to the next and no one seems to resolve your problem. They will make a case for you after going through all the necessary steps, but never contact you back. I have called multiple times about my case to be told "we will email you when the case is settled." I have been waiting on a case to be resolved for over 6 months now.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

My mother-in-law uses QB so I decided to give it a try.

Response from Intuit

We're here to help you, Sarah. If you're still running into issues with this please don't hesitate to reach out to the QuickBooks Online Team. (https://tinyurl.com/2p9xdx5t) Hope this helps. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Replied March 2022

Richard

Look very hard at an alternative.

I pay for Full Service Payroll. Quickbooks puts the tax rate into the program - I do not have any access. I emailed a copy late in 2019 stating the tax rate as 0.8%. The staff at Quickbooks entered the rate as 0.08% which is incorrect so only 10% of the tax was paid. I have been begging them to fix this issue. I cannot fix it because they control what is entered. I have letters on my desk threatening to intercept my tax returns because my Unemployment Tax is not paid in full plus I have interest/penalties pending . I get no resolution and have been calling for over a month now dealing with this. VERY POOR SERVICE!!!!!

Pros

I like the fact that I can track financial records from past years and do comparisons.

Cons

The software has glitches. If you need help, there is very little hope of ever getting your issues resolved. You will be told to email the technical people and they will respond or fix the issue. I have never had any resolution to this day and I have used Quickbooks since the 1990's. If I could switch to another program without losing all my history, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have learned to deal with the problems but am very frustrated. I have threatening letters from the IRS to intercept my returns because the full service Payroll entered a tax rate incorrectly and I have been waiting for them to resolve the issue for over a month now.

Response from Intuit

It's hard to hear that you haven't been able to receive the support you need, Richard. We'd be glad to take a look at this for you and work towards a resolution. Whenever you have the chance, please email (qbcares@intuit.com) us with the email and business name associated with your account so we can look into this further. We'll keep an eye out for your message. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Replied November 2021

September 2022

Excellent online bookkeeping software.

I love QuickBooks and this is the software of our choice for our practice.

Pros

The reporting side is the best on the market, with many dimensions of data available, more than e.g. Xero, with only two tracking categories. I also like the support, being able to speak to a person if needed. Also the discounting referral system is very good.

Cons

VAT management and reconciliation can be quite tricky, as software often allows to change the previously submitted to HMRC data.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

The full package provided free for the practice is a great piece of software.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

I wanted to be fully online, to be able to work from any place.

Nikki

May 2022

Get your Finances in Order Quickly!

Quickbooks Online has been a wonderful software to take my small business accounting to the next level! There is a bit of a learning curve to set up the customizable software and maximize it's use for your business. Once it's set, accounting is easy and quick. Running reports takes 5 seconds and you have all your accounting information at your fingertips with the mobile app!

Pros

Ability to access from anywhere! On my computer, on my phone, in the car, wherever I need it! Quick mobile receipt upload from your phone or computer! This allows me to quickly scan gas receipts or upload online purchase receipts to Quickbooks Online. Gone are the days of saying "what was that purchase for?" Not only can you upload receipts but they automatically tie to the bank account import. Easy to create reports! Ability to compare month to month or year to year. Can break down by categories or tags. Tax time made easy! My accountant had all the information they needed. I can link accountants to my Quickbooks Online so they can assist with quarterly payments, general questions via email/online or bookkeeping.

Cons

Quickbooks Online has a little bit of a learning curve. Since I had no prior experience with a formal accounting system, I signed up to add one of their pros to walk me through set up upon purchase. They helped get the bank account integrated and get everything moving the right direction. Due to the learning curve, there are plenty of resources online or within business organizations that can walk you through the ins and outs. Quickbooks Online is very customizable, but getting those custom items set up can feel overwhelming.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Excel document was homemade and I was not able to run reports. Quickbooks offers receipt upload and storage. It also allows me to run reports to better predict my future financials.

Matt

April 2022

Horrible Customer Service will not correct Emergency Problems 24/7 or Timely

HORRIBLE !!!! Account has been locked for 3 days rendering it useless. I use it for invoicing and payroll. Payroll was input on Thursday and approved. Not only did it not process Friday but my whole company is on lockdown due to Fraud Prevention.??????? I have made 3 calls to customer service to no avail. Cannot do any bookkeeping or payroll for my business and now there is no customer service for an emergency issue on the weekend. I am told a ticket has been opened and will be addressed within 2 days, but I've already been down 3 days. This is extremely unprofessional and unacceptable from the company that is supposed to have your books. IF my account is not fully restored by tomorrow, I will be ditching Quickbooks indefinitely for a more reliable product that actually has 24/7 full support in an emergency.

Pros

Billing is easy and payroll was easy to setup. Only lately has it been proven to be a problem

Cons

Response from Intuit

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with the payroll and your interaction with support. We know how vital it is to have payroll up and running. If you haven't heard back from an agent on your case please don't hesitate to reach out to the Payroll Team directly. (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/payroll-processes/contact-payroll-support/L08Yi5p07_US_en_US) Wishing you the best. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Replied April 2022

Cheryl

QuickBooks Online: Making Tax Tracking Easier for Sole Proprietors

Overall I have been happy with Quickbooks Online. Quite simply, it does what I need it to do. Track sales and expenses in a way I can easily pull data by varying parameters as needed.

Pros

I like that Quickbooks has an expense tracker that is easy to use and has the categories cleanly divided up based on tax filing needs. The app component of this is my favorite as I can photo a receipt and input it on the go (although I mostly do stuff online). The ability to track service based sales is also pretty straightforward and easy to use. Those are the main features I bought this for and they do the job.

Cons

Quickbooks online (I have the Simple Start version) is crazy expensive for someone running a sole proprietor part time business. And it just went up in cost recently. The expense is because it has to be paid for monthly (or a small discount if paying yearly all at once). I really dislike the fact that most software programs have gone this route. I am not a large or even full time business that can hack all these monthly software expenses we have. But I want the ability to use it where-ever and not be tied to one device so I have to pay monthly. The other thing I really dislike again probably comes back to price. I want the ability to have it autopopulate expenses each month so I am not constantly having to enter them. But I can only do that if I pay MORE for a package at a higher price point. Given the average user will have monthly expenses, this should be part of every plan. Lastly, there needs to be a way to make this software HIPAA compliant so those of us in healthcare using it can use it for things like invoicing and taking payments.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

Because feedback from people who had tried both indicated that Quickbooks was the way to go.

Peter

Using QBO

The benefit we have is that we can work with our clients on their accounts without having to go to their office or for them to drop a laptop into us. This means we can keep an eye on the accounts and provide assistance as and when it is required.

Pros

The interface is easy to use and the software is quick to set up for a new business. The support and help features are very good - this is something that many suppliers fall down on badly. QBO has features for businesses of all sizes so as they grow and analysis of the accounts becomes more important the tools are there, ready and waiting. The recent update of the VAT accounting to handle VAT in Ireland is a game changer. We have been very impressed with the data conversion facility to import records from Quickbooks desktop software to QBO. Finally, being an online product means the software is always up to date, there is a proper back up of the records and 24/7 access to the accounts are all key benefits.

Cons

For a small or new business with no familiarity with accounting the initial interface can be daunting. There are a lot of terms to become familiar with.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

We believe QBO is a good option for larger and growing businesses because of the more sophisticated features it offers over, say, SURF or Big Red Cloud. The fact that Intuit is a very large company gives users comfort in terms of support and future development of the software.

Marie

October 2022

The Platform your Bookkeeper knows best

Pros

QBO does what you need it to do, makes invoiceing easy and my bookkeeper knows how touse all the fancy features. This makes it easy for the platform to adapt to myb usienss and produce the data I need and is most helpful for planning and forecasting in collaboration with my CPA and bookkeeper team.

Cons

Forecasting in the app itself is not a standard feature and way too expensive for small companies who are trying to scale, but literally cannot affor the very function to help us plan for whats on the horizon financially. My CFO/CPA has to do this manually in another spreadsheet with weekly cashflow projections instead. Bummer Could be easy. Also I hate that the mobile version and desktop version of my QBO account don't sync or communicate with each other. Its literally like having two sets of books and not useful. I could delete the app right now and not miss anything and probably avoid giving myself a heart attack by looking at out of date data.

Reasons for switching to Quickbooks Online

Needed something more robust and wanted to hire a professional bookkeeper - amde the switch because they had to clean up my books anyway and QB is pretty standard in the industry.

Response from Intuit - 26 Products - Global

We appreciate you taking the time to write your review, Marie! It's awesome to hear that QuickBooks has made your day-to-day tasks so much easier. If you ever need help with your account or have questions, please feel free to reach out to us by phone or chat using the 'Help(?)' icon > 'Contact Us' in-account, and we'd be glad to get you taken care of! All the best! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Replied October 2022

Elisabeth

February 2022

Great Software for Personal and Business

I think this is better than Peachtree. I haven't had much experience with competitors.

Pros

Pretty easy to use and allow my bookkeeper access to use.

Cons

There are some confusing features. I sometimes get confused and have to have my bookkeeper help me.

Reasons for choosing Quickbooks Online

My Bookkeeper recommended it. I had purchased the desktop version and was struggling setting it up for my real estate practice. He helped me.

Prior to August 2014