Browse Sage 100 Contractor Reviews

Lex from Cornerstone Builders, Inc.

Sage Helps

We started in 1987 with The Master Builder; which was purchased by Intuit; which was purchased by Sage and became Sage 100 Contractor. So we have grown up with the great grampa of Sage 100. It has run our company for decades and we are very happy with it. As we grow, the program can grow. There is still a lot of the program's capability that we do not use, yet, but hope to.

Pros

Integration of job bidding to job costing to accounting to payroll.....all modules talk to each other in real time. We could not have any software that did not do all these things

Cons

The weak point is the estimating module that comes with it. I don't think it has been upgraded for 20 years.....no...really. They want me to buy the upgraded estimator which I think I will do soon.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

Summer from Pellett Construction, LLC

New User Review

Now that I have learned how to use the software, I am very happy with it. It allows for seamless integration of project management and project accounting. I would recommend this software to others, but with a serious explanation that the learning process is difficult and frustrating for those who don't come from an accounting background.

Pros

I love the interconnectivity of this software. It really does a great job of tying everything together and it makes pulling union reports, workers compensation reports, etc easier than the spreadsheets that I was having to keep previously. After the long and difficult process of learning how to use the software, I am now seeing all of its benefits.

Cons

Learning how to use this software was not a good experience. I would love to be able to pull up videos on the internet and have someone walk me through the different screens. We used a company with live help for Sage 100 Contractor and it was expensive and I felt that I was often waiting for our schedules to align to get a simple question answered. It made me hate the software in the beginning and it was very frustrating. I am just happy to be past that!

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Our CPA recommended it. My husband, our Project Manager, was familiar with the program and liked how it tied together his side of things with my side of things (accounting). He can now pull up a job and see everything that he needs to know all in one place.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

We wanted something that was more tailored to the way that our business operates. We wanted project accounting to be tied to payroll, job costs, etc. I used to keep Excel spreadsheets outside of Quickbooks to track workers compensation, union dues, health and welfare benefits, payroll hours, etc. I now enter payroll hours into Sage 100 Contractor and it does all the rest of the work for me!

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Janice from Franzen-Hill Corp

Sage

It is a good software

Pros

G/l and Costing is very good . the report writer is very easy to use

Cons

Support. the support through on-line is very poor at time.

Reports

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

They were no longer in business

Chris from Maple Creek Construction, LLC

Thoughts in the Second Year

Training wasn't smooth. Our trainer was a good person but we were mislead in regards to the cost of getting started so that was a negative from the beginning.

Pros

That it worked well with Procore and gave us a more detailed accounting system.

Cons

The double entry with using Procore and Sage 100. I also don't like that it isn't very user friendly. Lots of clicks to accomplish a simple task. I will use looking at the checkbook register as an example. I should just be able to click and look at at it. It should take 5 or 6 clicks to get there.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Sage's ability to work with Procore. However, as I said above, there is way to much double entry.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Quickbooks wasn't able to handle everything with Procore

Response from Sage

Replied January 2021

CHERYL from Fowler Construction and Development

Sage Review from Ft. Myers

This product keeps daily track of so many aspects of running a business and is very structured in keeping you and your business concerns organized. I completely depend on this for ALL of our accounting and project needs. Again, I can not say enough about the customer service.

Pros

This software is very detailed and will give you the information you need and depend on for daily use. We use only this product for all of our construction accounting /project needs. The reports it creates gives you the information needed per project, to see in daily figures what that project looks like from many aspects. You can also create specific reports if needed, but I have never needed to do that. They have GREAT customer service. They will log in with you and see what you have going on or what you're trying to do and will give you whatever help you need. I completely depend on this product.

Cons

Since this product is so detailed, some of the steps to "fix" something can be confusing and will have many steps to undo. Sometimes there can be more than one way to redo something and I get myself confused as to which action to take, but I know that customer service is completely dependable and they are only a call away to help.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

My boss went to a show regarding construction software and knew exactly what he was looking for and wanted it to be found in one product. He said Sage (previously Master Builder) was the only software that had everything he needed with the purchase of one product, not multiple products to get what he wanted.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Jerry from AP Alternatives LLC

Good package for the money

Overall it's a decent software package for the money and the size of our business. Other systems can do more, but you'll likely pay much more.

Pros

The software provides the needed accounting and payroll modules. The optional Inventory modules offers some basic tools to manage your inventory. Reporting tools are rudimentary, but adequate.

Cons

Receiving inventory items works strangely. A Sage invoice is created when receiving. At the point of vouching the supplier's invoice, the same receiving generated invoice can be updated. However, issues occur if you have used any of that inventory before getting the supplier's invoice entered. There's a work-around which involves copying and pasting, but the vouching process should not care what your current inventory level is. The weighted average cost is problematic when working with projects. Any given transaction can result in a G/L record that doesn't match the project record, leading to variances. Need the option of last-cost, std cost, etc.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

We were looking for software that was designed for construction and contractors.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Karen from Patrick A Finn, Ltd

Sage Review

Overall it has been very good.

Pros

I like the accountability features first and foremost. The AP, AR and Payroll are simple and easy to use.

Cons

I would like to see a little more ease of use for estimating. For a small remodeling company like ours, we do not need massive amount of data. And a HUGE improvement would be if you could set up a standard "Note" for each cost code. We prepare proposals by Cost Code with descriptions as to what "Tile" entails (our allowance, our standard running board pattern, inclusion of grout, etc.) I would also like to see a running report that includes budget v. actual for hours, labor dollars, subs and materials. Right now I need more than one report to do that.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

It was Master Builder when we started with it. Cannot recall why we chose this over QB

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Hasan from United Business Applications

Sage 100 Contractor is a great business solution

Overall experience using Sage 100 Contractor is great.

Pros

What I really like in Sage 100 Contractor is when we start setting up the software it was very quick to go live after short period, The annual revenue for the company I was working for is 35+ million. we shifted from old software to Sage 100 Contractor within two months, I did few demonstrations for my colleague about how to use Sage 100 Contractor and all of them they found Sage 100 Contractor easy to use and very helpful for our business, and reporting in Sage 100 Contractor is great.

Cons

I didn't face any issue or something I didn't like in Sage 100 Contractor. but the developing in Sage 100 Contractor is impossible.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Sage 100 Contractor is less expensive from SAP Business One.

Sarah from WhiteStar Enterprises, LLC

Sage Keeps Our Accounting Running Smooth

Sage helps us keep better track of the jobs we have in process. We are able to provide reports and invoices to our customers.

Pros

I like how the software is integrated for use in receivables and payables.

Cons

The Estimating Software is not being used by us because it doesn't integrate with how we do our bids.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

At the time, QuickBooks was not as fully functional as Sage. Sage had more options.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Dennis from MIINC

Wouldn't Recommend for a Specialty Contractor

We use Sage 100 for all of our accounting/payroll/purchasing/subcontracting and project management.

Pros

I've been using the software for seventeen years --- drill down works great --- generally intuitive to use. Can teach others to use in a short time.

Cons

Reports are needing serious work that Sage just won't change, Some work arounds that we implemented when we first started using the product are STILL required seventeen years later. There are also STILL issues within the program that Sage just can't fix. Have had to hire third party consultants to help with some issues and reports.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Seventeen years ago we were just getting started. Price/Functionality were a huge consideration. To say we've grown out of it is not a fair statement because we are still using the program.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Thank you for submitting a product review. Your feedback is invaluable to the continued improvement of products and services from Sage.

Mary from Belmont Homes

A few items to improve an already great product.

Pros

My boss has a lot of money going out; with that in mind, I start my bank reconciliation early and keep it going until month end. Sage far surpasses all other accounting software in this particular process.

Cons

Searching for an item could be improved dramatically! Also, if I issue a check by copying an old one issued to the same person. It becomes a journal entry and if I ask the computer for all payments issued to that person that journal entry is not always included. I need to be careful and check job costs, not just payments made. One other item, when issuing a check, I appreciate the manual check choice being added, I would suggest a small tweak, I wonder if you offered the verbiage "Debit Card", as well. I would be curious to attend short 15 minutes or so, info meetings- that would focus on educating users on particular features, for example in estimating and scheduling. Something that would have visual aids not just reading in the Sage Help. Maybe a recording in Zoom or YouTube a meeting accessible through your help site. I am a visual learner reading does not help me as much as a visual coach. One last item I would like to see implemented, I doubt it can be but here goes. If possible when I need to start a help ticket, sometimes what I need say is complicated. I need to type 2-3 paragraphs. I wish there was a streamlined way to get a person to talk to. Using the chat box is great unless it is a complicated issue, I wish I could type ## or something and that would direct me to the call back Que. Thank You so much for asking.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Some of your features are particular helpful for our industry.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Sherry D from Superior Painting & Decorating, Inc.

Powerful Construction software

love it.

Pros

Job costing, payroll direct deposit, ACH, Reporting, project work center, customized reports, archive features, integration with Outlook, the ability to input suggestions and vote on others ideas, etc

Cons

The initial implementation and setup. Our Consultant was not the best in the implementation process. We have since connected with someone who is FABULOUS and knows how to best help the Client to setup "best practices" from the start. I only wish we had connected with her at the onset. Some of the programming still has "glitches" and boots you out of the program - annoying. F2 should be edit, and pulls up a calendar, Enter key and Tab key don't work consistently with other Microsoft programs - slight annoyance.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Originally thought this was an upgrade to Sage50. At the time of purchase we did not realize it was a completely different software and required new implementation rather than upgrading. The job costing features, additional payroll features, security setting options all were valued and a great add to what had been currently missing from our previous software package. Sage100Contractor allows us to run and manage our business efficiently with updated information at all times.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Sage 50 was lacking in a number of important areas. Our business had grown and we had designed and used a separate database for job costing. Sage100 has great job costing features, and this was a key factor in the decision to change.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

10+ years of Sage

Overall I have had very little problems in Sage for the my 10+ years of using the product. I think it flows rather well, but when I had to train someone else because of concerns over COVID, it was a little tricky. There are some deductions I have to compute manually because I can't tell it to include overtime, but not vacation or sick when creating the deduction. I also don't like that when creating a paygroup you need to save before adding benefits, but that's a minor inconvenience. I have also adapted paygroup for the different benefit levels of my employees who attend school and have different impact to compensation. Overall I would recommend.

Pros

It is easy to input invoices and do most of payroll. The certified payroll still needs a little work for those of us not doing it electronically. I have never had an issue with the quarterly or end of yea tax reports. Archiving previous years and locking down transactions prior to archiving has become much simpler. I do customized reports from time to time and generally they are rather easy to do.

Cons

I would like to see a tab in the jobs that has all the information needed for the A1-131 top section report. I would like to see date added when it notifies you in accounts payable that you have a duplicate invoice number. Lately I have had to install the program onto new computers. The install was not as smooth due to Microsoft. I wish I had a updated list that said you also will need to download these applications as they are no longer automatically provided by Microsoft - ie Framework, SQL 2014.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

We chose Sage back in 2002. At that time there were not many options. We have maintained through the years albeit looked at other products. We started with Sage 100 Contractor and have stuck with Sage 100 Contractor although we do not use it to its fullest protentional.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Karen from Merit Contracting Inc

Karen Schwingle

I have used Sage 100 Contractor in one version or another since 2004 through my employment with a former Corian countertop fabricator and my association with Suitable Solutions ([SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]). I love it! I believe it is an extremely workable program for contractors.

Pros

I work for a commercial roofing contractor. I think the project management system had the most impact, because non-accounting employees have access to it and they learn what it takes to keep a job moving forward.

Cons

This is not so much something that I "like least" about Sage, but the hardest part for me was getting others in the company to realize that I did not have to be the person to do EVERYTHING. They were capable of entering purchase orders.....they were capable of entering a change order.....they were capable of running a report. It has taken a couple years (we went live in 2017) for other staff to buy into the program. It is now going well.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

I recommended Sage 100 Contractor to Merit Contracting's controller at the time. I do not know what other systems she researched. I believe she chose Sage because of my previous experience with it.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Maxwell was discontinuing its support of its Management Suite and moving to a different platform. Since I had previous experience with Sage 100 Contractor, it made more sense to switch to Sage instead of a brand new program.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Michael from Center-Line Construction Inc

Construction User

We have had nothing but great experience with the software and customer service has be great.

Pros

The software help tracking expenses and history of job cost is top of the line. Progress billing is the best and easiest we have seen.

Cons

It does have a deep learning cure but once you are past that it is easy to use software

Compatible with windows

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

There data base could not handle our needs

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Diane from Kuesel Excavating Co.

ten plus years

Overall it was a good purchase. We do not use it for estimating. Kuesel utilizes the payables, receivables, payroll, equipment, and job cost.

Pros

As a construction company, we needed job cost to be detailed. We were originally with QuickBooks. This software definitely gave us the detail to figure out where our cost was going per project. I also like the feature that it records every transaction, so there is no guessing if someone changed the data.

Cons

I still struggle with tech support. I do not understand the Sage City, nor the Knowledge base.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Timberline was used more so for estimating, and Kuesel needed more for the accounting side. At that time, Timberline did not have a software that was compatible with accounting.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

to get more detail for jobcosting

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Leigh from Triune Electric, Inc.

SAGE 100 REVIEW

Overall I like the software and look forward to updates and better reporting and billing systems.

Pros

Software is basically user friendly. I like how System Menu is set up and payroll is very functional.

Cons

Reports in this software are the worst part of it. It needs to be updated and make it easier to build and customize reports to suit company use. Also need to have an easier T&M workup system and reports.

Cost

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Hoping to get better job costing system

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Elaine from K&S Air Conditioning

Very good.

Pros

It has more detail than our previous software. I really like the drill-down capability.

Cons

I would like to be able to work with someone at Sage to improve their Progress Billing fields. It is good for a basic set-up, but many of the Contractors that we bill have custom forms, requiring more fields that require the use of the Custom Fields tables. Good that the fields are there, bad in that they do not appear on the screen while billing. Makes the progress billing seem clunky. Also, would like more flexibility in the report writing (such as Outer Join, Left Join, Right Join).

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Cost was moderate compared to the higher end construction software.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

We needed more flexibility in our software.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Arthur from Construction

Versatile and Powerful

I started using MasterBuilder in 1998. I found it has a robust payroll module enabling ease of use for Federal, State and Union payroll issues. The addition of Aatrix actually improved the payroll module. This program works for individual homes to large scale civil construction projects.

Pros

This product is flexible and can be used for a variety of different types and sizes of projects.

Cons

Customer Support is through your local network. Sage provides zero customer support and treats their customers as if they are trying to steal from them.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Once I called CompuEase to ask how I could find the other half of a Journal transaction. The support person told me, "This isn't MasterBuilder. When you need something you call us and we can tell you which reports will get you the necessary information." I called my distributor later that day and made arrangements to replace CompuEase. QuickBooks has improved over the decades but just isn't designed or capable of complex payroll or job costing.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Jeanne from Keymont Construction, Inc.

Sage 100 has simplified my job as Office Manager and Bookkeeper.

Overall, Sage 100 Contractor is a wonderful software program. The support and technical assistance staff have been wonderful in the past and are always helpful with fixing any problems with may occur. We have been using this software since 2003 and it has been great. Another great feature are the reports for preparing quarterly payroll tax returns. This feature is a definite time saver for which I am very grateful.

Pros

I really like all the different reports that are available. I like having a client data base with all the contact information at my fingertips and it is wonderful that my boss can access it from his "laptop" so that he does not have to use the "main" computer to access the database or any bookkeeping information he may require for a specific job.

Cons

The only con is that now that we upgraded to Windows 10 there are are a few glitches. For example, whenever Windows 10 does an update on the "main" computer, it is necessary for me to "reset" the Sage 100 Contractor Hosting Framework back to "running" and also the Sage 100 SQL Contractor Hosting Framework back to "running". It is a bit of an inconvenience since my boss does not know how to "reset" them and therefore cannot access the bookkeeping information.

Debbie from Spec Con, Inc.

Sage 100 Contractor Review

Pros

job cost reports, ease of reviewing subcontracts with change orders and entering sub invoices against the subcontract, having the certificates screen and getting the warning when you enter payables and set up to print checks

Cons

in the takeoff releasing subcontract you don't get a warning when certificates are not current. I just feel like it's overpriced since there is not unlimited support for the basic level.

features including job cost

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

outgrew quickbooks at the time

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Michelle from Johnson & Turner Painting Co. Inc.

Sage 100 review

Overall, we have become more acquainted with the software which has lessoned the frustration. That and having a great IT rep to help us through issues is a tremendous +

Pros

Our company was with American Contractors prior to SAGE. There are some areas that are an improvement over AC. With the help of our Sage IT, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], we were able to work through the initial frustration of a new system. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is a tremendous asset to us!

Cons

Not as user friendly as we hoped for. We have worked now with Sage since 2019 so things are easier. Originally, we thought it was an older platform and that is why some actions were outdated and still are. For instance, coding material sent to jobs through payroll. Not an option to code to the job at time of entry. We have to print the report, and do a general journal to apply.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Number one was the price and the sales pitch assured us of more ease in performing our daily tasks.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Linda from Horcher Construction

Sage 100 Contractor

Overall, we are happy with the product although we do not use it to its fullest.

Pros

Most like the payroll software. Very easy and has a lot of extra features such as ability to do certified payrolls.

Cons

Finding some of the reports is counter-intuitive. Often we really have to search from what we are looking for - and sometime there is no report. Happens for audits when we are asked to provide a few years worth of data.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Too limiting with number of jobs that could be set up.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Jacqueline from Tree Construction

New to Sage 100 but like it so far

We spent a lot of time researching various products for our construction project management software. We had tried Builder Trend and didn't like the clunkiness of messaging, to-do's, and the selections. It also didn't handle payroll. We were looking for a one-software-does-all program; something that could handle everything from leads, estimates, take-offs, budgets, contracts, ongoing project financial reporting, all of our inhouse bookkeeping and all of our payroll administration. We chose Sage 100 Contractor because of it's ability to do all of these things. So far, we have completed a bunch of training on Sage, and we have just recently gone live. It seems like it works very well and handles most tasks efficiently.

Pros

Does all of the tasks I mentioned; leads, estimates, take-offs, budgets, contracts, ongoing project financial reporting, all of our inhouse bookkeeping and all of our payroll administration. Massively reduces the likelihood of double entry. Pretty easy to use and fairly intuitive. Easy job reporting functionality. Great payroll functionality and end of year automation (eg for T5018s for subs)

Cons

Not cloud based so it's difficult to access the information from anywhere. Not a mac software and does not work great with Parallels. Does not include time-tracking software for employee time sheets and we've been recommended against Sage Anywhere (the software we were initially told would perform this task) by the actual sales consultants at Sage! Does not integrate with Toggle (the time management software we are currently using.) Because of the points above, entering time cards for job costing is very time consuming. Very expensive!

Alan from Heartland Glass Co., Inc.

Customize to your needs.

Good once you get past the computer chat feature.

Pros

I like that I can customize impute fields and reports so I can get information the way I need it to save me time and money. I only have a couple reports that I modify outside of Sage which is do to info that I want to view in different ways. The raw data is able to be exported out of Sage to excel which makes this very easy. I love the email capability of invoice and Statements which saves a lot on postage and with the ready receipt, I can confirm customer received.

Cons

I don't like that there are areas that I can't modify reports and so I need to pay for custom reports. I also wish sales tax could be figure by job so when I enter invoices, I have more than the Vendor default option. So basically, when I enter the job on the invoice entry screen, it would pull the job tax rate.

Corporate decision.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Product was discontinued and outdated.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

John from J & M Brickwork

Sage 100 Contractor

Sage customer service/tech support, used to be great, but now you are forced to start with chat, which is typically sub par even from 1st tier support. You do finally get things resolved but it just takes a lot longer and for a user who is out in the field with limited time it becomes inconvenient.

Pros

Accounting, Payroll, Billing, Job Costing

Cons

Proposal/ Quote, implementation needs a lot of improvement

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Quicken doesn't have AIA billing.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Jeff from California Air Conveying

Great Value, Great Transparency, Proactively manage the business

We have increased transparency, gained insights and have been able to proactively manage the business. This has led to better business decisions, increased revenue, and overall business performance.

Pros

The ease of use which allows our program management team and accounting teams to seamlessly work together and integrate inputs for a real time view of company performance. Implementation was not overly difficult. Drilling down in reports is very useful!

Cons

There are a large number of "canned" reports which are more than adequate. Customization is possible, but not overly simple. Sage can help with this though so it won't be a road block.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Better package, more value, and drill down of reports.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Antiquated system that was not user friendly at all. Nor did it provide any real time information that we could use.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Andrew from Blue Spruce Construction

The bookkeeper who loves bookkeeping

Overall I really like Sage, but it would be so much cooler if it was cloud based

Pros

The way Sage is set up is that it will not let you make mistakes. As in you can't change things at will you have to dig in and change transactions from the source. This means that everything will be correct, this also means that it's a lot more of a hassle if you make a mistake. Still so many features that slowly our team is incorporating into our everyday systems that I think if used properly can make your life so much easier

Cons

So unless you are a coder/ super IT guy, there are many things with Sage that will give you trouble, like report writing and getting all of your computers to talk to each other, and now they have it so you can't call them until you chat online with them which is Sooooooo annoying. I have had really good customer service and really bad customer service with them, just depends on who you get, and how willing they are to help you.

Lisa from D.K. Lippy Construction Co.

New SAGE 100 user review (General Contractor)

Pros

SAGE 100 has been a great tool for us as a GC operation. It gives us lots of ways to manage job costs including those associated with uninsured subcontractors. Once training was completed (albeit remotely), our personnel found that the software was easy to use and navigate.

Cons

Transition and rollout of SAGE 100 Contractor took much longer than expected but this was not well-communicated by team that sold us the software. Transition team was remote but effective - they assumed we had extensive accounting knowledge when, in fact, the sole operator of SAGE 100 in our office is a part-time bookkeeper, not an accountant. Payroll calculations are rarely correct (we use an outside Payroll processor) even though tax tables are up-to-date.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

We made this change because Quickbooks online does not job cost. There are very few software packages that DO track and report job costs and our GC had prior experience with SAGE products (Timberline).

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

James from Guthrie Glass& Mirror

Honest review from construction subcontractor

It has been good. I rely on Sage heavily for a lot of important information and reports. The support staff is friendly and there is a wealth of knowledge out there. I wish it were easier to go straight to a live chat or phone call and I wish that I could speak to a developer who would listen to accounting issues I see as a CPA.

Pros

The product is very user friendly. I learned it in no time. I love how you can add attachments to everything, customize reports, have fields prepopulated/skipped, etc. There is a lot this system can do.

Cons

It seems like the Sage developers are rigid in how they set things up. I've had multiple instances where I reached out to support to get things fixed or improved, and I haven't had any luck on getting them fixed. Even when from an accounting standpoint, the current way is incorrect.

Maxwell is outdated.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Randy from Hamptons Habitat

15+ years and still happy with product

Needs some work, hopefully they continue to fix issues as they have always done in the past.

Pros

I've never used any other product so I can't make comparisons but I've been very happy with this program for over 15 years. It's very intuitive and easy to use. There are tons of reports, you can easily navigate information within reports to save time. Customer support has always been at the top of their game but it seems harder to get someone on the phone lately.

Cons

The functionality of this product slowed down tremendously (for us) once it went SQL or "live". I'm constantly waiting for every menu option to start. Yearly maintenance contract is expensive, especially in years where not much has improved. Does not seem to integrate with many programs like Quickbooks can. May have to look at other products if they don't catch up on this. Program crashes more than ever now that it's live.

Victoria from Restor Technologies Inc.

Sage software review

Pros

Once learned it is very easy to use and helpful with reports. I especially like the billing reports.

Cons

When I need help I have to go to live chat and tell them I need to speak with a tech rep.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

The ease of the product and it has more reports.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Kelly from Fatboy Construction, Inc.

Have used Sage for over 20 years. BEST software for Construction industry.

Sage is organized in a smart way that makes sense. Things are not generally buried somewhere, or organized in a way that you can accidentally enter things in multiple places (a nightmare I experienced repeatedly with Quickbooks). There are clear rules that follow basic accounting principles and tremendous resources for project management and business planning. It also has a lot of flexibility for customizing. The support services are unprecedented.

Pros

It leaves good audit trail for everything you do. As a bookkeeper this is invaluable for reconciling (unlike Quickbooks). Versatility in Job reports and tracking so much data for making smart business decisions.

Cons

It takes a long time to become truly proficient and is not designed for people without strong accounting abilities and knowledge. Some features are not intuitive. If you need custom reports you either need to take extensive classes or pay an expert (time consuming for the first and expensive for the second).

Roxanne from Pacific Industrial Electric

Pros

It's easy to use, can customize most reports

Cons

What is a product without customer support? Sage. Even you pay for full coverage you are not talking to a live person until you have: gone through a robot, gone to a chat room just to have them send you articles to read and then maybe have THEM decide if your worth spending your full support dollars on a live person which by the way will call you and you'd better be sitting by the phone waiting for them. See their picture? Their time is of utmost important and yours and the time you waste trying to get someone's attention simply isn't important at all. Masterbuilder's support as SO much better. You could make a phone call, get it answered and get on with work and making money.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Antoinette from Team Excavating

ease on getting help

Training was great but now it is hard to find someone that will help us. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] knew everything and wish we could call one person to help us. You lost a great person. Would be nice to call someone that knows our system and could show us the best way to get what we want. Sometimes it is just knowing where to go.

Pros

It makes payroll a lot faster We can run reports and see if the job we did where the profit and loses were so next time we bid a job we can adjust

Cons

Sage Service Operation Cant see where the guys are and if they are even working. Can't log in a new job from my phone. Need to have sage on my phone for that and that in not happening. If have a problem have to go through Chat and several people before someone will log into me computer and I can show them the problem to get it fixed.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

so I was not using 5 different systems and everything was in one system. Didn't have to enter payroll twice.

Response from Sage

Replied December 2020

SHARON from Service Now/Johnny's Sheet Metal & Heating

Sage 100

I like the fact that customer support is excellent when you can speak to somebody on the phone. The representatives are very patient and helpful and most issues are resolved with one phone call. The messaging does not work quite as well for me because I am not very good at communicating with a non-verbal message. The fact that all payroll taxes are updated is an great thing because you do not have to worry about not having the correct figures in your payroll program and the quarterly reports and year end reports make it very easy to file timley.

Pros

All of the uses for this program are mostly easy to use. Banking, billing and payroll are excellent tools to have at your disposal.

Cons

The portion that I find that I struggle with the most is the scheduling for work orders and I really have not used it much for that reason.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Jake from Catalyst Construction

April 2015

Sage 100 Contractor has been a great asset to our company.

Pros

Sage 100 Contractor provides a broad range of reporting and tracking options, but is affordably priced. Our company is able to utilize the software to complete payroll, budgeting, job cost tracking, equipment management, and billing. We could also easily add Timberline if the need arises and that would expand our ability to integrate estimating into our accounting system. It is also flexible enough that we are able to use it to manage the accounting for small side companies that we have formed.

Cons

While Sage 100 Contractor is fairly intuitive and easy to learn and navigate overall, there are nuances that can be confusing. Sage support staff is knowledgeable and helpful, but you may have to pay for that as part of your service package. An alternative is their online knowledge base. It is expansive, but it is not always helpful in providing simple, relative information to your query.

Diann from Grand Park

Sage experience

I have currently relayed to my current employer when we have to put together reports that involve posted checks with invoices how Sage has a way to scan and attach A/P to the invoice posted in Sage making quarterly and yearly reporting for us easier then going through multiple draws, pulling checks with invoices and making copies when all I do is open the attachment and print.

Pros

I really like the A/P section and hoping to intergrade the scanner and the online A/P approval process within my current company as I have used it at another company and loved the process made A/P run smoother and faster.

Cons

There are a lot of reports to choose from, but I need to take the time to develop my own reports that would benefit the company more.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Excellent Software

My experience with this software was excellent. I had used a basic Sage Accounting software for years and before Sage bought this particular accounting software, it was Peachtree. I loved it.

Pros

Reporting is excellent. User friendly. Ease of teaching employees. online forums are spot on for good information. Immediate help via chat or calling with more difficult issues. I love that they can help by driving my computer when I could not figure out an issue. They take fixes seriously for the next update. Very professional looking invoicing and reporting and very easy to get exactly what you need without a bunch of drop downs and reconfiguring of the crystal reports.

Cons

There is actually nothing I dislike about this software. It is by far my favorite accounting software.

Kelly from Pool N Spa Center dba Pacific Sun Pool N Spa

Great software for construction company

Sage customer support online/via phone are very helpful, when I call the customer service representatives are very friendly and informative.

Pros

Cons

The report writer needs some overhaul. We need the ability to merge information more easily with Job Cost and AP. As a contractor it is critical for up to date information without having seperate reports for Job Cost and AP. Give those creating reports the ability to "connect" data indexes and set more than 3 sorts on a particular report.

Andrew from Blue Spruce Construction Services

Sage 100 Contractor good for the company bad for the customer

I do like Sage, but the report problem have been the same for 2 years, and when I call to ask if there is anyway to make them presentable I get a sorry and a put the request on the internet, which I have many times. Nothing happens

Pros

Very useful in many ways. Lots of features all in one place that can keep you organized, on schedule, and on budget.

Cons

For all of these features to work it takes a lot of input. Once you have put in all of this input the numbers are good, but if trying to present something to a client the report system is trash. many times the text doesn't wrap. You can't edit gantt charts at all for scheduling, which doesn't even have dates on it. We are having to pay an outside 3rd party a year to just give us report writing system that is compatible with sage so that we feel comfortable presenting proposals to clients.

Tracey from Charles V Simms Development Corp

Now have used for 2 years

Our business is in construction and real estate, so we use it for the cost accounting and it is very helpful in keeping track of our costs. It is also used for customer service with our warranty repairs. We look forward to taking it to the next level and using it for Estimating/Purchasing.

Pros

It is easy to use and is very simple being organized by the category you wish to review. F1 help is handy and resourceful. Reports are simple. Love the drill down ability it is very helpful when trying to get to the root of an issue, because you can do it on just about every report you have open to get to the beginning.

Cons

F1 help is vague and some things are not easy to understand they way they are written. There should be more use of the space and give details as to how to resolve an issue. It explains but does not give steps on how.

Donna from IPL Industrial Services

Great Product!

I worked with several other accounting and job costing software and Sage has proved to be one of the most user-friendly. The software was easy to learn and implement. The online classes offered are information and well worth the time to learn the software. Customer service is one of the best! They are always friendly, helpful and make sure they have solved your problem before closing the case. Other than high traffic times such as the first of the year, wait time is minimal. With a third party software that works within Sage, payroll taxes are a breeze! Reports are through, customizable and easily exported to Excel.

Pros

User friendly Customizations Reports and Queries are easy to use once you get the hang of them. Creating queries or reports to access any information needed is a huge plus! Direct deposit for payroll and vendors is extremely easy to use. Customer Service experience is very positive. I love the chat option and also the access to the knowledge base. Easy access to the help file online, by hitting F1 you can read about every aspect of the software. The general ledger audit and payroll audit features help to ensure the integrity of your data.

Cons

The biggest adjustment we had to make when moving to Sage was the check writing process. In order for a check to be applied to a specific vendor, you have to create an invoice. You have the option to just write a check, but it will not transfer that information to the vendor's record.

Richard from SouthCon Building Group, LLC

Sage Contractor 100 Review

It is good, but it would be beneficial to the user to have a more in-depth accounting purpose such as quickbooks would.

Pros

The ability to work across different projects and have everything flow through to the proper financial levels.

Cons

I am not a fan of having to void incorrect transactions rather than simply correcting them. If something is not in a closed period, it should be able to be easily adjusted. The bank rec feature is not very user friendly. I can easily see non accounting professionals mess this up. The reporting functions are not that great...

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

It was already implemented when I started here.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Patricia from Ahrens Contracting, Inc.

Long time user ...Masterbuilder

Pros

I like the excel based formats. It does about 50% of the process for positive pay submittals .

Cons

I pay alot of money for support and i understand the initial use of them but feel Sage uses them too far into the process and when i ask for issue to be escalated, i get no response. I have asked for upgrades to be made to divide access to admin and field payroll for 15 years and nothing has been done. I also wish it had better checks and balance system in regards to T&M billing. I wish it calculated overhead.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

At the time, ease of use, cost compared to features.

Software to grow

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Deborah from MRM Construction Services, Inc.

Sage 100 Contractor - A great upgrade for our Accounting team!

Very positive experience. Has literally changed our entire department. Three employees are now performing the work of five employees.

Pros

The functionality is very intuitive. Once you learn one module, you can use that knowledge and be very effective in the other modules. The program is laid out very logically.

Cons

I would like to have more flexibility with our third party. We didn't have a great implementation and we would prefer not to have to use them for additional items we add.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Recommendation from a CFO friend plus I could see the ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 100 Contractor

Ease of use, training, updated program.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Kathy from Fullford Electric Inc

Best software ever for construction accounting

I don't think I've ever seen a more complete software. I've used other software, designed for other industries and I can say that this one beats them all. If you're a contractor or subcontractor, you really need Sage 100 Contractor. You won't regret it.I've been using Sage 100 Contractor (formerly Master Builder) for almost 15 years and when I started, the in-software and online help was vague, at best, but over the years Sage has worked hard adding details to the "help" options which has put assistance at your fingertips.

Pros

This software is easy to use and offers a wide range of reports for tracking costs and analyzing financial information. Utilizing all the modules makes the transitions easy when moving from a bid to a current project, all the way to project closeout. Their support staff are always knowledgeable and quite thorough in their efforts to help. Their Partner Reps are also a great value. They have years of experience and a wealth of knowledge to help with report customization and other learning related assistance. Another advantage is that Sage integrates well with other software like entering payroll information at the jobsite directly into the payroll module.

Valerie from Thomas Towne Reavey Inc.

Awesome

This system has met my needs from the beginning.

Pros

I have worked on this software for over 20 years and have loved it from the beginning. It is so friendly and easy to use. If you need any help there are numerous ways to get it including friendly tutorials or a live person, if needed.

Cons

The estimating software was not what I was looking for, in the way of full integration, when I first began using Sage. Honestly, I have not pursued it recently.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 100 Contractor

Sage was the most comprehensive program for our needs. It has continued to far exceed the rest.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

April 2015

Cindy from Luxury Builders, Inc.

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Been using Sage 100 Contractor since 2006 for our Accounting needs

Pros

Love the reports and how easy it is to close the books at year end. How they give us 5 free calls a year with this price of renewal every year.

Cons

1.) The yearly price. The integrated system of Atrex, I am a small company and its not easy to bypass this offer. Have to hand type my 1099, w-2 and quarterly numbers are not imported in to tax form. Maybe I just don't know how to use it. 2006 when I took the classes this was not available or I am sure they would have an option to by pass. Also on the job status report 6-1-1-21 shows all bills entered (job cost) but doesn't mean they have been paid. Would like to show: Job cost owed on vendors billed to date. For exp., if a vendor contract is $90k for job cost on cabinets and we put in 90k and pd $30k, it should read that this job cost hasn't been pad 60k yet. So at the end of the yr or when ever we can see what has been billed and what has not been paid yet. Setting up the report forms are a little hard to do.

Brittany from KPI

Sage 100 for Payroll

Overall this is a great program for payroll; coworkers have expressed it's simplicity in the A/R and A/P fields as well.

Pros

I use this payroll for 2 companies to process payroll for construction. The employee setup module is very straight forward and gives you may options for customized tracking (for PTO/Sick time). Daily entry for payroll is easy, the payroll and posting processes work well and the available certified payroll reports are clear and concise.

Cons

This software does not export well to excel; so if you use Excel to process data/create custom reports/run pivot tables, there is a lot of clean up involved before you can make the data Sage exports clean enough to use.