Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Software Reviews

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Software Reviews

Find out more:

Find out more:

• icon"I love the inquiries that you can create with this product. They are easy to create and once you are done, you can throw it to excel."
  • icon"User friendly ease of the navigation from one area to another."
  • icon"Sage is great to work with, especially their help desk. The best support that I have ever experienced."
  • icon"The waiting time to speak with a Rep. This can be frustrating especially when you are closing the period."
  • icon"Unless you've integrated with other field software or have previous Sage implementation experience, a custom install from a Sage rep can be costly."
  • icon"If I run are report and print it from the report menu, you shut the menu down and make me reselect all of the filters, is this intentional just to piss me off."

Browse all Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Reviews

• Have you used Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate and would like to share your experience with others?

Samuel

Sage is a good value for the the money I paid

Despite their short comings,I can tell you that sage 300 is the best management software out their with good value for money,and I highly recommend it for either large or small real estate or construction companies.

Pros

What I like is the face that sage helps me to boost my project productivity, limiting errors, improving correspondence among parties,and creating adjustible reports

Cons

I have been using this software for a while now and my only issues us that I still cant remove some dormant account.that is my only issues

I had better experience with sage 300 construction software

Versatile and Allows for Growth

I love this software but feel the customer service has tanked over the years. If I have an issue I want to pick up the phone and reach a person, not hours of hold time and voice mail only to be told to go look up the answer myself via the knowledgebase. It is extremely frustrating.

Pros

There is a lot of versatility in this software that I know we don't even tap into.

Cons

You can post, or rather the software allows for, negative debit and credit postings. For me it is fine but when you have someone on staff who maybe doesn't understand it can make things tricky.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

When I began working at DC they had already been a long time established Sage product user. At previous employers I have either switched from other software (Hardhat) to Sage or began fresh with Sage. I like the software and find it easy to use and train employees to use. I have even recommended it to other companies to purchase. I wish they had a better solution for remote access and that their customer services was more responsive personally. When you call you get routed and routed and routed (through voice mail) and then typically told to access a web based article on how to fix the problem. I do not like that at all and it leaves me lacking in giving them 10 stars.

Response from Sage

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

Dora

October 2022

Sage 300 Accounting Manager

Pros

AP - any errors could be corrected easily, CM - easy to set up new bank accounts, GL - Financial Statement Designer is complete

Cons

AP - Waiver Releases trail could be better; GL - I would like to be able to close a month any day of the month, not only "full periods", just to be able to see the Financial Statements progress during the month. I know I can see Year to Date Ledger, but a summary will help

JANIE

Using Sage

Pros

it is easy to find the data you are needing.

Cons

When you look at a printout, if you open the wrong one, once you close it you have to start opening from the beginning again. It doesn't just let you close the open printout and be able to open another one if you need to without starting over.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

I was not part of the process for choosing Sage.

Jacob

December 2021

Requires many paid addons to be effective and is not very user friendly.

Pros

Helps organize accounting information and makes it accesible.

Cons

It requires many paid addons and is not good for new users.

Dee

Needs More User Friendly Features

We would not purchase it again and would prefer to go back to our old system, but we've invested too much to do that at this time.

Pros

Widely universal so integration software more readily available with management systems and customer relation software.

Cons

We came from ComputerEase, which is very user friendly. Sage appears to be outdated. The installation and upgrade process is very time consuming and for most would require hiring their services to install or your IT personnel. The biggest issue we have is the font size. If you try to change the font size in your screen, the windows will distort and you cannot access certain information within Sage, so it strains your eyes to view the information. My other big concern, is that when processing applications for payment within Billing, it will allow you to go over 100% on a scheduled line. If you don't manually check via print preview, you can very likely overbill. Additionally, when voiding applications, there are some major hassles when it comes to stored materials on jobs that don't carry over stored each month. Lastly, if you do not post in the order and timeframe that you are trained to do, it results in a large hassle and time-consuming elimination process. There are several other items that are not favorable, but these are the top ones on our mind most frequently.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Because of the Procore Integration and because we could save documents within in as we did in ComputerEase (so we were told at the time). During the end of our training we were told otherwise and were forced to then purchase Sage Paperless in order to keep this feature. We were given it at a discount, but it is not as user friendly as CE.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The only reason we made the switch was because we purchased the management software Procore and ComputerEase did not integrate with it. Unfortunately, after almost a year of using Procore/Sage Integration, we have now pulled that integration as Procore had too many errors and not enough support staff in this module to timely rectify issues (1-2 weeks to get support for change events). Otherwise, we love Procore, so this was very disappointing since this was the entire reason we made the switch to Sage.

Response from Sage

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Sage products and services. We strive to deliver the best experience possible for Sage customers. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with you to better understand how we can exceed your expectations in the future.

Deanna

July 2022

Sage 300

Pros

Was easy for me to learn since I had been using Quickbooks for many years before this.

Cons

I found all aspects easy to learn and integrated well with payroll and all other areas of my job.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

More suited for the type of company which was roofing and construction

Lori

Where are the user instructions available for special reports and features?

Pros

I did not do the integration, that was done by IT and they do not use the same day to day features that most users deal with. I'm sure the system is much easier for the IT people, but it needs to be easy or have instructions available for the every day majority of the users in the office. It seems very easy for day to day use for the majority of the work done in the office, there are just a few reports and features that would be nice to have. Possibly they are available but I'm not sure where to get instructions.

Cons

We were not provided with any sort of ongoing instructions or help for specific issues that we encountered after we fully implemented and starting using the software. Sometimes it will take a while to get use to something to realize you need other types of reports/information or functions, we had to just learn by trial and error. There is limited space when adding Vendors and no way (at least not know to us) to get rid of a vendor once it is added. We ended up with MANY double entry vendors. Additionally, making a vendor inactive in AP does not stop that vendor from being used in the SM module which creates issues importing. One of the biggest problems we have had is that the PO field allows users to accidentally type in random various characters, such as a / or lower case letters, which causes an error in the program importing. The system does not recognize the random characters which has cause a never ending loop posting. The system should not even allow someone to put in a character it will later not recognize, as we now have no way to get rid of these errors. Even customer service cannot fix the problem. We have POs that now have 492 lines as they are stuck in a loop and every day that we post another line gets added. Also we could use a reference guide on how to run specific reports we desire.

Jay

Timberline Property Management Software Review

When we first purchased Timberline in 2002 we were extremely satisfied with the software. Their Customer Support & Third-Party Consultants provided the best & knowledgeable support I have ever been involved with in over 40 years of use. They still provide great support in answering and fixing my problems, but the response time has been degraded. Unfortunately, once Timberline was acquired by Sage, the Real Estate (Property Management) portion of the software seemed to become "orphaned" in favor of the Construction portion of the software and has not "kept up" with today's technology.

Pros

When we first purchased Timberline Property Management Software 19 years ago, we felt it was the best Property Management Software on the market. It had all the modules we needed at the time and they were tightly integrated to each other. The report designer module made it easy to produce both "canned" and "custom" reports. Bottom line, it fit almost all of our Property Management needs with minimal reliance on third-party software.

Cons

Timberline Property Management Software was acquired by Sage Software and in my opinion over the years since acquisition, became Sage 300 Construction Software. If you look at the focus of the software today, it seems to be over 95% focused on the Construction industry and only 5% on the Real Estate industry.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

We thought it would better serve our needs both at the time of purchase and in the future.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Centra didn't have the functionality or capabilities that we needed.

Kevin

A Proven Total Construction and Accounting Package

Very good experience with the product and dealing with support and the knowledgebase. I have been using this product now over 15 years. I have worked for 2 General Contractors during this time and this product has served us well.

Pros

I like the fact that Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate software (modules) is a total solution for a few different industries, mainly construction. We have all the modules from Job Costing to Payroll to Project Management, etc. We do everything in house. I also like the fact that it integrates with Aatrix for Government and State e-Filing and reporting. That is very nice that it pulls everything from Sage and makes the reporting process seamless and easy. There are many other products that integrate well including MyAssistant.

Cons

I wish the software was cloud-based which would make upgrading and future improvements much easier and attractive. A smaller investment of hardware and resources would be needed since the server would pretty much be eliminated. Updates would be automatic. Sage does have other products that are cloud-based but this one will not be going that route.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

At the time, it was proven and better support. It was less expensive and easier to use. This was over 15 years ago.

Phil

2+ years in and we are moving on

Overall, our experience has been negative. Nearly 100% of our users dislike it in comparison to other systems we have used in the past. For the amount of money it has cost us in implementation (over $30k + staff time) and the ongoing maintenance fees (which are more expensive than similar products) we have not had a great experience. Other systems can do the same thing, much more simply, for a lot less money.

Pros

There is a lot of detail in what you can get out of this software, if you have the labor time to put into it.

Cons

Ultimately, the software is too cumbersome, difficult for staff to use, training not able to assist us in getting it working well for our organization. Functionality that used to be supported is no longer available with recent updates.

Cost and features

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Seeking to improve our financial tracking and job costing ability, while integrating with other systems we use.

Melissa

Okay software for multiple companies but many glitches

Took us 2 years to sort out the issues caused buy a Sage consultant not setting up the system correctly with us.

Pros

The ease to show combined financials for multiples companies works great.

Cons

We have run into many glitches where things do not post correctly due and Sage cannot tell us why. Does not do everything that the sales rep told us it would.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Wanted to combine multiple companies into one platform and produce combined financials

October 2022

SAGE 300 for all

I like that you can produce great estimates with SAGE 300 which can help if you need to come up with projections and profits for your projects. There are more than 500 reports that are available and you can easily modify them. They will help you make informed decisions. You can also create your own reports.

Pros

You can easily track or manage your project. It also provides you with accurate financial reporting so everyone has visibility into every aspect of the projects including progress and financials. You can easily identify gaps and issues before early while they can be easily resolved before they become problems and incidents. You can easily print both cost based and fixed price invoices

Cons

The software is a bit pricey if you are to enjoy fully all the modules which small businesses might struggle to raise.

Rene

Sage 300RE

I am a moderate user because of my position but I was the person that took on the Service Module back in 2005 as we switched to Sage. I was very disappointed then with the SM module as it was not going to do what I was told it could but it was to late at that point as we had made the switch.

Pros

It had the ability to customize features in the program

Cons

The service module is way behind the times and will be the ultimate reason we leave Sage at some point. Even though we haver added SSO for some time now it still does not change the fact the back office program is the problem. We need more flexibility with departments and costing to meet the real service world. Also in order to make Sage work to meet todays requirements we have had to add third party programs such as Timberscan, Cabbage, hh2 and any even a program to get better access to your data. Sage is exactly the kind of program third part developers want and keeps them in business. Having Sage 300 Re means you will be forced to use other companies to get what you want out of the program. I did not realize how the programs we pieces bolted on and that there not actually built together. Once I knew how the purchasing module had to use Macros to make it work and communicate to the rest of the program was extremely disappointing. The program does not easily allow you to perform the payroll function easily with Payroll companies. Basically you cant get job costing to pickup until you process a weekly payroll to get it on the jobs. You are left handcuffed to do payroll in house when smaller companies want to move that process out of their company. The program was moved into the cloud last year in my company but it is really not cloud based. So you have to work in a remote desktop way verses a true cloud based program.

Reasons for choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The controller at the time recommended it but later I found out that was what he was familiar with.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

My service department needed the ability to handle service agreements and we wanted a program to handle the construction accounting better.

Amy

Good for Construction

I have used Sage 300 for years. Many companies use it although I find that it needs some element of support or a strong user on the team to resolve things that come up. Office Connector is a nice addition as many reports are not available out of the box...such as a CashFlow Statement and a good WIP report that can be modified and adjusted. You can write into the software so many applications can share data which is a plus. I feel like we have multiple additional technologies to make up for all the short-comings of Sage. Their support however, is amazing. Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Additionally, the SageKnowledge Base can answer most questions a user has so there are solutions, but takes a bit to get familiar with how to find what you are looking for.

Pros

I like its ability to link with multiple applications including PROCORE, HH2, Paperless.

Cons

Out of the box financial reports are limited and it is not super intuitive in my opinion. We are currently running desktop in a hosted environment. I think I would have preferred the cloud based package.

Reasons for switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

I was not here when the switch was made.

Adam

Solid Construction Accounting Software

The tracking of costs and billings is great in this software. You are able to capture just about every detail you could possibly need and it's all integrated together. With the available 3rd party add ons this is a very good product.

Pros

Sage 300 CRE, formally known as Timberline, is a very robust construction accounting software. The customization is really endless and although the software platform is older, the 3rd party software packages available allow you to use current technologies with it. It is not the most user friendly as new software is but it is a very solid working product that has been around for years. I like being able to customize the software to how we do business. I have not run into too many situations in which the software was not capable of handling something. Certainly you might need a consultant to help you create complex reports and other processes but at least it is available if you need it.

Cons

I would say the biggest con is the fact the software is built on an older database platform and the screens are a bit older and do not scale well with newer systems. Although there is a SQL database replicator now to move your data to SQL for enhanced and faster reporting, the program itself still runs on the Pervasive database. It tends to run slow when you have a large database so you constantly have to keep up on the archiving. I also wish the program had a few more preventative features when it comes to posting transactions to closed GL periods. Certain tasks do not validate if the GL is closed prior to posting which I find to be a pain. Sometimes the fix is easy but other times it is very difficult to figure out.

Kim

Good with Property Management, Mediocre with Accounting

Whereas Sage 300 CRE does have some good functionality for property management, we are also suffering from poor accounting functionality. Some days I'm happy with the software, some days not so much.

Pros

I like the Property Management side of Sage - our office manages a number of commercial real estate properties, and we are able to track the leases, and the PM side of things does link in with the accounting side of things. And I know there are more features in the PM side that we don't even use.

Cons

Sage 300 CRE does not mix well with any outside software. We recently took over management of a dozen new properties and we had to manually input all the data to get the new companies in our system. There was no reasonable import feature available. We could have paid someone thousands of dollars to bring basic information into the system for us, but what they could import was not everything we'd need, and there would be no previous year data option. That was frustrating. And the accounting system is also lacking. As much as all of the modules to integrate with each other, the accounting system does not perform to my expectations. And if you want to export a report into Excel, forget it! Sure it will export the data, but not in any kind of usable format! The numbers don't export as numbers, the formatting is all skewed. I just found out that there is a 'third party' software to use as a fix, but I just spent $2500 on that fix and found out that if we want to export the income statement and balance sheet, that is an extra $800. I'm not happy with the accounting system.