Browse Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Reviews

Victor from Stoneleaf Construction LLC

Sage 300 Construction for Real State and much more!

Pros

Reliable software with an outstanding and solid support team. Sage is one of the top industry leader for the construction software field, intermediate complexity level to integrate with third party apps makes this software an a remarkable solution for those companies that already have their Master set well defined within construction standards,

Cons

Total cost of ownership can be overwhelming without the proper capacity assessment. Sage University to train your Admins and staff can raise up the bar of the investment. Custom features requires special attention from specialized consultants.

Jennifer from D.C. Building Systems, Inc.

Versatile and Allows for Growth

I love this software but feel the customer service has tanked over the years. If I have an issue I want to pick up the phone and reach a person, not hours of hold time and voice mail only to be told to go look up the answer myself via the knowledgebase. It is extremely frustrating.

Pros

There is a lot of versatility in this software that I know we don't even tap into.

Cons

You can post, or rather the software allows for, negative debit and credit postings. For me it is fine but when you have someone on staff who maybe doesn't understand it can make things tricky.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

When I began working at DC they had already been a long time established Sage product user. At previous employers I have either switched from other software (Hardhat) to Sage or began fresh with Sage. I like the software and find it easy to use and train employees to use. I have even recommended it to other companies to purchase. I wish they had a better solution for remote access and that their customer services was more responsive personally. When you call you get routed and routed and routed (through voice mail) and then typically told to access a web based article on how to fix the problem. I do not like that at all and it leaves me lacking in giving them 10 stars.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

JANIE from Tubal-Cain Industries, Inc.

Using Sage

Pros

it is easy to find the data you are needing.

Cons

When you look at a printout, if you open the wrong one, once you close it you have to start opening from the beginning again. It doesn't just let you close the open printout and be able to open another one if you need to without starting over.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

I was not part of the process for choosing Sage.

Dee from CHRISTNER CONTRACTING INC (CCI GROUP)

Needs More User Friendly Features

We would not purchase it again and would prefer to go back to our old system, but we've invested too much to do that at this time.

Pros

Widely universal so integration software more readily available with management systems and customer relation software.

Cons

We came from ComputerEase, which is very user friendly. Sage appears to be outdated. The installation and upgrade process is very time consuming and for most would require hiring their services to install or your IT personnel. The biggest issue we have is the font size. If you try to change the font size in your screen, the windows will distort and you cannot access certain information within Sage, so it strains your eyes to view the information. My other big concern, is that when processing applications for payment within Billing, it will allow you to go over 100% on a scheduled line. If you don't manually check via print preview, you can very likely overbill. Additionally, when voiding applications, there are some major hassles when it comes to stored materials on jobs that don't carry over stored each month. Lastly, if you do not post in the order and timeframe that you are trained to do, it results in a large hassle and time-consuming elimination process. There are several other items that are not favorable, but these are the top ones on our mind most frequently.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Because of the Procore Integration and because we could save documents within in as we did in ComputerEase (so we were told at the time). During the end of our training we were told otherwise and were forced to then purchase Sage Paperless in order to keep this feature. We were given it at a discount, but it is not as user friendly as CE.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The only reason we made the switch was because we purchased the management software Procore and ComputerEase did not integrate with it. Unfortunately, after almost a year of using Procore/Sage Integration, we have now pulled that integration as Procore had too many errors and not enough support staff in this module to timely rectify issues (1-2 weeks to get support for change events). Otherwise, we love Procore, so this was very disappointing since this was the entire reason we made the switch to Sage.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Sage products and services. We strive to deliver the best experience possible for Sage customers. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with you to better understand how we can exceed your expectations in the future.

Lori from CIRKS CONSTRUCTION INC/DBA KDC CONSTRUCTION

Where are the user instructions available for special reports and features?

Pros

I did not do the integration, that was done by IT and they do not use the same day to day features that most users deal with. I'm sure the system is much easier for the IT people, but it needs to be easy or have instructions available for the every day majority of the users in the office. It seems very easy for day to day use for the majority of the work done in the office, there are just a few reports and features that would be nice to have. Possibly they are available but I'm not sure where to get instructions.

Cons

We were not provided with any sort of ongoing instructions or help for specific issues that we encountered after we fully implemented and starting using the software. Sometimes it will take a while to get use to something to realize you need other types of reports/information or functions, we had to just learn by trial and error. There is limited space when adding Vendors and no way (at least not know to us) to get rid of a vendor once it is added. We ended up with MANY double entry vendors. Additionally, making a vendor inactive in AP does not stop that vendor from being used in the SM module which creates issues importing. One of the biggest problems we have had is that the PO field allows users to accidentally type in random various characters, such as a / or lower case letters, which causes an error in the program importing. The system does not recognize the random characters which has cause a never ending loop posting. The system should not even allow someone to put in a character it will later not recognize, as we now have no way to get rid of these errors. Even customer service cannot fix the problem. We have POs that now have 492 lines as they are stuck in a loop and every day that we post another line gets added. Also we could use a reference guide on how to run specific reports we desire.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Kevin from Camson Construction, Inc.

A Proven Total Construction and Accounting Package

Very good experience with the product and dealing with support and the knowledgebase. I have been using this product now over 15 years. I have worked for 2 General Contractors during this time and this product has served us well.

Pros

I like the fact that Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate software (modules) is a total solution for a few different industries, mainly construction. We have all the modules from Job Costing to Payroll to Project Management, etc. We do everything in house. I also like the fact that it integrates with Aatrix for Government and State e-Filing and reporting. That is very nice that it pulls everything from Sage and makes the reporting process seamless and easy. There are many other products that integrate well including MyAssistant.

Cons

I wish the software was cloud-based which would make upgrading and future improvements much easier and attractive. A smaller investment of hardware and resources would be needed since the server would pretty much be eliminated. Updates would be automatic. Sage does have other products that are cloud-based but this one will not be going that route.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

At the time, it was proven and better support. It was less expensive and easier to use. This was over 15 years ago.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Phil from Habitat for Humanity -MidOhio

2+ years in and we are moving on

Overall, our experience has been negative. Nearly 100% of our users dislike it in comparison to other systems we have used in the past. For the amount of money it has cost us in implementation (over $30k + staff time) and the ongoing maintenance fees (which are more expensive than similar products) we have not had a great experience. Other systems can do the same thing, much more simply, for a lot less money.

Pros

There is a lot of detail in what you can get out of this software, if you have the labor time to put into it.

Cons

Ultimately, the software is too cumbersome, difficult for staff to use, training not able to assist us in getting it working well for our organization. Functionality that used to be supported is no longer available with recent updates.

Cost and features

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Seeking to improve our financial tracking and job costing ability, while integrating with other systems we use.

Melissa from Highmark Companies

Okay software for multiple companies but many glitches

Took us 2 years to sort out the issues caused buy a Sage consultant not setting up the system correctly with us.

Pros

The ease to show combined financials for multiples companies works great.

Cons

We have run into many glitches where things do not post correctly due and Sage cannot tell us why. Does not do everything that the sales rep told us it would.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Wanted to combine multiple companies into one platform and produce combined financials

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Mark from Brown Edwards & Co

Bang up Piece of Software

I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to take their accounting system to the next level

Pros

I would highly recommend this software for any large sized (5 million and above) construction business. It tracks your fixed assets, as well has a variety of other strong accounting functions.

Cons

This isn't exactly the most user friendly software, and alot of the times it will be people switching from Quickbooks to this software. It may have a steep learning curve.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The company file became corrupt and too large.

James from ALLIED INDUSTRIAL SALES, INC.

Industry: Oil & Energy

Good but seeking for more

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility with this product, but in many cases it requires a Sage Expert or extensive training. With this product our company managed Industrial Construction Projects of various sizes and cost and utilized different project costing. Overall our experience was good.

Cons

Needs a nicer UI/UX for the consumer, the next generation of user is accustom to ease of use and a clean UI/UX. Give the consumer more control, create a solution that allows us the ability to manage our data, our way. Salesforce has a great solution for this, although not directly related their model for consumer control and product support is one of the best I have ever seen/used.

Rene from RALCO Electric & Generator

Sage 300RE

I am a moderate user because of my position but I was the person that took on the Service Module back in 2005 as we switched to Sage. I was very disappointed then with the SM module as it was not going to do what I was told it could but it was to late at that point as we had made the switch.

Pros

It had the ability to customize features in the program

Cons

The service module is way behind the times and will be the ultimate reason we leave Sage at some point. Even though we haver added SSO for some time now it still does not change the fact the back office program is the problem. We need more flexibility with departments and costing to meet the real service world. Also in order to make Sage work to meet todays requirements we have had to add third party programs such as Timberscan, Cabbage, hh2 and any even a program to get better access to your data. Sage is exactly the kind of program third part developers want and keeps them in business. Having Sage 300 Re means you will be forced to use other companies to get what you want out of the program. I did not realize how the programs we pieces bolted on and that there not actually built together. Once I knew how the purchasing module had to use Macros to make it work and communicate to the rest of the program was extremely disappointing. The program does not easily allow you to perform the payroll function easily with Payroll companies. Basically you cant get job costing to pickup until you process a weekly payroll to get it on the jobs. You are left handcuffed to do payroll in house when smaller companies want to move that process out of their company. The program was moved into the cloud last year in my company but it is really not cloud based. So you have to work in a remote desktop way verses a true cloud based program.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The controller at the time recommended it but later I found out that was what he was familiar with.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

My service department needed the ability to handle service agreements and we wanted a program to handle the construction accounting better.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Amy from Gardner Builders

Good for Construction

I have used Sage 300 for years. Many companies use it although I find that it needs some element of support or a strong user on the team to resolve things that come up. Office Connector is a nice addition as many reports are not available out of the box...such as a CashFlow Statement and a good WIP report that can be modified and adjusted. You can write into the software so many applications can share data which is a plus. I feel like we have multiple additional technologies to make up for all the short-comings of Sage. Their support however, is amazing. Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Additionally, the SageKnowledge Base can answer most questions a user has so there are solutions, but takes a bit to get familiar with how to find what you are looking for.

Pros

I like its ability to link with multiple applications including PROCORE, HH2, Paperless.

Cons

Out of the box financial reports are limited and it is not super intuitive in my opinion. We are currently running desktop in a hosted environment. I think I would have preferred the cloud based package.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

I was not here when the switch was made.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Adam from G.W. Peoples Contracting Co., Inc.

Solid Construction Accounting Software

The tracking of costs and billings is great in this software. You are able to capture just about every detail you could possibly need and it's all integrated together. With the available 3rd party add ons this is a very good product.

Pros

Sage 300 CRE, formally known as Timberline, is a very robust construction accounting software. The customization is really endless and although the software platform is older, the 3rd party software packages available allow you to use current technologies with it. It is not the most user friendly as new software is but it is a very solid working product that has been around for years. I like being able to customize the software to how we do business. I have not run into too many situations in which the software was not capable of handling something. Certainly you might need a consultant to help you create complex reports and other processes but at least it is available if you need it.

Cons

I would say the biggest con is the fact the software is built on an older database platform and the screens are a bit older and do not scale well with newer systems. Although there is a SQL database replicator now to move your data to SQL for enhanced and faster reporting, the program itself still runs on the Pervasive database. It tends to run slow when you have a large database so you constantly have to keep up on the archiving. I also wish the program had a few more preventative features when it comes to posting transactions to closed GL periods. Certain tasks do not validate if the GL is closed prior to posting which I find to be a pain. Sometimes the fix is easy but other times it is very difficult to figure out.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Kim from CRG 1725, LLC

Good with Property Management, Mediocre with Accounting

Whereas Sage 300 CRE does have some good functionality for property management, we are also suffering from poor accounting functionality. Some days I'm happy with the software, some days not so much.

Pros

I like the Property Management side of Sage - our office manages a number of commercial real estate properties, and we are able to track the leases, and the PM side of things does link in with the accounting side of things. And I know there are more features in the PM side that we don't even use.

Cons

Sage 300 CRE does not mix well with any outside software. We recently took over management of a dozen new properties and we had to manually input all the data to get the new companies in our system. There was no reasonable import feature available. We could have paid someone thousands of dollars to bring basic information into the system for us, but what they could import was not everything we'd need, and there would be no previous year data option. That was frustrating. And the accounting system is also lacking. As much as all of the modules to integrate with each other, the accounting system does not perform to my expectations. And if you want to export a report into Excel, forget it! Sure it will export the data, but not in any kind of usable format! The numbers don't export as numbers, the formatting is all skewed. I just found out that there is a 'third party' software to use as a fix, but I just spent $2500 on that fix and found out that if we want to export the income statement and balance sheet, that is an extra $800. I'm not happy with the accounting system.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Paul from ALPA Construction, Inc.

Pros and Cons of Sage 300

Pros

On par with some other offerings, but does not excel in any specific area, hence no one are where it really excels.

Cons

The overall accounting approach to how information is presented is lagging, in my opinion. Various inquiries need to be made in order to retrieve specific vendor, or client information, instead of making the reports and inquiries available through either the A/P, or A/R modules - all of them. The software also needlessly complicates interaction with the GL through the Cash Management and the Register feature(s), all this in my opinion should be centered around and through the GL module. Certain options under Agings are also puzzling, offering various reports that have little to do with actual aging(s), such as presenting the outstanding amounts in aged-buckets. When one is also more used to dealing with Debits and Credits, Sage presents some of these as 'Additions' or 'Subtractions'... which takes away the purely accounting approach to dealing with transfers, and debit and credit activity within various GL accounts, while a non-accountant might find the 'Additions' and 'Subtractions' easier to work with when it comes to dealing with actual bank accounts, the layout becomes more puzzling when dealing with other, non-cash accounts, where straight up Debit and Credit columns would be a lot more appropriate - for any entries. The 'Register' module mitigates this to some extent by a pop-up box, where some of this is automatically pre-filled, but in my opinion it's just an extra step that adds to the confusion and easiness of entries through GL only.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Better integration and reporting...

Response from Sage

Replied January 2021

Thank you for submitting a product review. Your feedback is invaluable to the continued improvement of products and services from Sage.

Kristin from ARC Building Concepts, LLC (ARC Design Builders)

Sage is complex, amazing and expensive.

If I wasn't working such long and demanding hours, I would like to look into Sage University educational opportunities...as I do believe many questions I STILL have, could be answered there. ONE THING that would be useful, IMHO, would be a detailed listing of the online classes/tutorials that are available, and the list of topics/subjects that they deal with.

Pros

Sage is an amazing product, with so MANY complex programs and modules. There are (literally) dozens of reports and functions that I still know little to nothing about (after 3 yrs of working with the product). It's got everything a general contract would ever need, and then some. Customer support (GOLD) is awesome (tho expensive) . 99% of the time, I have had pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful, experienced assistance from Customer Support. The individuals who work in Customer Support helped me make it that first year, and there is no question of that. Their patience and their availability (and their sense of humor) helped me retain my sanity, that first year (04/14 - 04/15)....hands down.

Cons

The complexity of it....each module is multi-faceted and highly complex (and complicated). If a person comes on the scene (such as myself) with no prior construction experience, it's very difficult to simply "pick it up". Also, In order to have Gold Support (a genuine necessity, unless the office employee has a degree in accounting...OR...10 years of prior construction experience) is very expensive. We are a small construction company, and the thousands of dollars we pay, each year, for Gold Support, is not an easy check to write.

Michael from Brighton

Sage 300 CRE is an average database system

Overall, we have used Sage 300 CRE (Timberline) for 15 years. We stick with it because we have invested so much time and money into customizing it and forcing it to work like we want it to work. It is a good database, if you can figure out ways of extracting the data you want (i.e. Access, ODBC, etc.). In general, the software is old and not as dynamic as others on the market, but switching is too much of a painful process to make us jump ship. We will keep sailing (and bailing) with Sage 300 CRE, at least for now.

Pros

We integrate other estimating and purchasing software for our home building division and that works fairly well. As a database repository, it works well. It is easy to get information in the system and you have a lot of ability to customize and create fields.

Cons

The reporting tools in Sage 300 CRE are not good. Getting information out of the system has always been our challenge. We end up extracting the data via other tools and creating our own reports in other tools (i.e. excel). The financial statement and other report writing tools are not easy to work with, and frequently have issues that need to be corrected (or acknowledged... still not sure why Sage can not figure out how to round properly to make a balance sheet balance)...

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

We previously had a couple of systems that we consolidated into Sage 300 CRE (Timberline) in 2006. Our hope was to have a more centralized database, which was mostly achieved.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Janet from BRW Construction Group, LLC

Industry: Utilities

I am a CPA and have implemented this software in the last year with a large underground utility construction company.

In deciding to purchase this software, you need to determine your real commitment level. You can use an easily implemented software such as Quickbooks, but you'll need to manually enter a great deal of estimates and information. The implementation and training is costly - be sure and get the total price of all the software modules that you will need in addition to the estimated cost of implementation and training.

Pros

I like that in general you are able to import tables from other software or ones created in Excel rather than either not having history or having to manually enter it. There are many very sophisticated modules to help you manager your business. There are awesome video's with lessons that you can use (over and over) for a period of time to learn each module broken down step by step. The job cost is able to import estimates created in Timberline (SAGE) Estimating, another very sophisticated program. From those estimates you can actually create purchase orders for items estimated, and email them directly to your vendors. Very slick if the program is set up correctly.

Cons

This is a complicated system and not for the average AP person or Controller/Accountant. You will more than likely need to hire an expert to train and walk you through implementation. The reports are rarely exactly what you want, so you either have to pay the expert to change them or to learn to change them yourself. The whole implementation process is lengthy - there is a learning curve.

Mike from Miller Brothers Inc

Falling Behind the times

I have used The full suite of Sage 300CRE products long before Timberline was acquired by Sage. Unfortunately it seems that innovation and product/feature development has been very slow since the acquisition by Sage. My biggest complaint over the past 5-years is the lack of web access, which in this day and age is unacceptable, especially in a collaborative environment such as construction. This is why we have transitioned from the PM module to Procore. Fortunately Procore is fairly compatible with Sage300 CRE accounting. It’s just a shame that Sage couldn’t keep up with the times and get a cloud based PM product to market in a timely manner.

Pros

Sage 300 cre is robust. It can be all encompassing with “modules”. From Estimating (which is an excellent product) through the accounting modules to project management, the workflow is pretty seamless.

Cons

The annual maintenance cost for a product that is not SAS is pretty high. It is not clouds accessible and project management modules has fallen behind the times, especially compared to a product like procore.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The estimating and accounting modules are still the most robust and complete solution available in the industry for mid-sized contractors as long as a non-cloud based solution is acceptable.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Amelia from CHR Construction LLC

Has great features once you learn how to use them

I like Sage. When I started at my company I had never used it before, now I am more advanced than the rest. For construction with a larger company it makes it easy to organize information. And I REALLY like how it connects with ODBC. I have created 100+ reports in the past 5 years and they make things so much easier.

Pros

I like how it organizes invoices, how you can customize SOME field name and how you can add customized fields. It connect with ODBC to excel or access with Microsoft query. This comes with the software. And you can make so many live reports that you can refresh with a button. Also the option of make crystal reports.

Cons

Everything is additional. Crystal reports you have to purchase a license, paperless, each module, etc. This can become frustrating, especially when you have 1 license for AP and try to open it and it says "Someone else is using this". Most people that haven't used it take a long time to understand it. There is a conference but it isn't ran by Sage.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

It has a better construction management software.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Melody from Louis Stile Construction Inc

Sage 300 Only Software You Will Need

Our company has been with first Timberline then Sage 300 which we started in 1997 with our original setup. We have always been happy with the product and have attended seminars and workshops that really make a difference in new ways to use the software.

Pros

Our company uses Sage 300 exclusively for Construction, Job Cost, Property Management , Financial Statements and Payroll. Every aspect integrates with what we need. We do export and use Excel with the Sage 300 when needed.

Cons

Unless you really familiarize yourself with the report writing, that can be difficult.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

The ease of using the construction and property management and the integration of all to general ledger. The payroll module was very easy to use and the reports made filing to state and us government much less time consuming. We were able to use a general operating checking account and information flowed flawless to the many companies we owned.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

We wanted a different computer setup and we researched and at that time (1997) Timberline (pre Sage 300) it handled our construction and property management at the same time.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Larry from Waltz Construction

1990s product still held together with duct tape

Pros

I have experience with it and can cope with it.

Cons

It's insane that recording transactions in AP need to be separately posted in other modules. It's crazy that I can't run a general ledger transaction report with a job number. Why do we have to purchase separate software (Office Connector) in order to extract data with the flexibility we need? If I run are report and print it from the report menu, you shut the menu down and make me reselect all of the filters, is this intentional just to piss me off? Why can't I resize and save the screens such as the AP invoice inquiry screen or the GL inquiry entry screen? Why are so many screens kept as small as possible so that I am forced to function like I'm looking through a key hole(GL Change Entries) Why can't I enlarge that screen so I can see the full line of data and a much larger list of lines? This program needs to be at least brought into the 21st century if you can't get it modernized to today's standards. We are seriously considering modern software such as CMIC.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Because my predecessor was a Sage300 user.

Switch Made by my predecessor

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Michelle from Vaughn Construction

User for 25+ years

Overall, my experience has been very positive. Other peers, and our external auditors, are amazed at how quickly a company our size can complete month-end and year-end procedures and how detailed we can get our reporting.

Pros

One of the best things about the software is that the core applications were designed together, unlike other software that tries to integrate applications from several sources. So, Job Cost, Payroll, AP, AR GL and CM flow together very well. Also, the software was originally designed specific to the construction industry so it really incorporates most of the financial needs of our industry.

Cons

We are running into issues in payroll due to the size of our current file. We are subject to job audits and we have many large projects so we like to keep several years' data in one file. However, Aatrix is not able to generate quarterly reports without archiving some payroll data. Also, it's really nice to have the ability to post to future GL periods. It would be even nicer to be able to roll FORWARD for financial statement the way we can roll back.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Dani from The Hansen Company

Robust by antiquated

Sage 300 CRE is a very detailed system but needs a complete revamping. It is able to store a lot of pieces of information, but getting them out of the system require a lot of work. When I evaluate software, I look at how many steps (clicks) it takes to accomplish my task. Sage is the absolute worst of all the software options available. Unfortunately our accounting has been using it forever and the cost to change would be too expensive right now. It can best be described as a Windows 95 database because that's what I think of every time I have to use it.

Pros

Able to store a vast amount of information. Everything is broken down into modules and works well with multiple users. Does allow for customization of certain tables and modules.

Cons

Requires too much work to get to what I need. Tables of data cannot be sorted. For example, a list of contacts on a project cannot be sorted. They are listed in order of entry, which means I have to scroll through an entire list to find a contact. Same goes for some drop down lists. If I don't know the person's name, I can't search. I have to scroll through the list one click at a time because the scroll bars on the side don't scroll proportionally. One click on a side scroll bar takes you down 75% of the bar even if the list is really long. Getting information from the system requires customized reports, which you either pay for or get trained in Crystal Reports. I used to use Quickbooks Enterprise and was able to get more relevant information faster and easier than I do from Sage. Some of the screens can be expanded but do not show more information. It just creates more blank space so I spend a lot of time scrolling to get to what I need. The system as a whole is very out-dated. Search options are very basic...can't search for MEDICAL if the contact is entered as GREATER AREA MEDICAL CENTER. You would have to know it starts with GREATER AREA.

DeAnne from Care Electric Contracting

Sage Recommendation

Pros

I started to use Sage 300 back when it was called Timberline. I implemented it at the Drywall company I was working at. The software is very user friendly and is very easy for anyone to use. I perfected the software use when I went to a General Contractor that was already using the software. When I first interviewed for my current position, in my interview I couldn't stop talking about Sage. That was the reason I was hired. I have once again implemented Sage from a manual system.

Cons

I don't like the was the Job Cost module changed and would love it to go back to the old set-up screen. I used to use the condition button for looking for set up mistakes and not I literally need to go thru each job looking at the set-up. Also in the Payroll module I wish the reports and generating accruals would be able to use the daily entry grid instead of have to enter the date for each entry. I went for one entry per employee week to forty. That's not cost effective to get the work done.

Response from Sage

Replied January 2021

Anita from Radford & Radford Inc

A believer.....

I have over 35 years experience as an account and experience with Sage less than one year. There was a significant learning curve; however, the support team is the greatest! I miss the ability to drill down into a transaction by point and click, but with this being said, I do not miss the out of balance journals/registers caused by this point and click. I came on board with this employer mid June 2020. My first impression was I hated Sage! I even contacted prior software company I had over 25 years experience with and asked them to get me a product to work with... their response "you have the best software for your industry...we can't touch it".... So, I had to pull up my big girl pants and learn Sage. Almost a year in and I feel very comfortable with this software for multiple reasons. First, their support team has been most helpful in assisting me with issues; sometimes *often* fixing my issues; and making sure I understand the steps to take to remedy these issues. Second, Sage is a very stable software. It can handle changes in payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general ledger without having a melt down. (Prior software.....*well known program*... ledgers would suddenly not balance, payroll would be out of whack, etc... long hours tracking these out of balance issues) Lastly, Sage made me realize I am never too old to learn something new. This is the program you want for your construction company.

Pros

The job costing of Sage 300 is phenomenal.

Cons

There was a significant learning curve when migrating from prior software to Sage.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Andy from Ike's Construction, Inc.

10 years behind

The software is long overdue for an overhaul, but it works.

Pros

Stability. Continued support. Customization to meet needs of construction accounting. Reliable. It just works 99.9% of the time.

Cons

Sage has done nothing to improve the product in the past 20 years. It is basically the same interface. The addition of desktop app was an attempt to bring a modern feel to Sage, but it is basically the same program. Upgrading the software costs me a full day of downtime to upgrade server and all of our workstations every year. Surely, there could be a better way to upgrade. Project management is light years behind other PM solutions out there.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

n/a. We have recently chosen to move to RedTeam for our project management solution. I'm hoping Sage will increase their coordination with RedTeam so we can use their interface to do more workflow.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Dustin from Triangle Pump Service Limited

Sage Customer Service Cannot be Beat

I highly recommend Sage 300 to any contractor out there. It's ease of use and numerous modules make tracking things like inventory, job costing, cash management etc a breeze. All modules sync up to the General Ledger and at the end of each month, we are able to see how we are progressing. This has helped us catch numerous mistakes on our end. Whenever there is a problem, we will phone the Sage call center. They are able to troubleshoot things in no time. Not only do they help fix the mistake they also teach you how to spot them yourself. The odd time we have had to escalate a problem to the programmers they always end up contacting us back the same day. I started using Sage 2 years ago with very little knowledge of the platform and accounting in general and through the proper training, customer service, excellent help articles and Sage U I can confidently say that I have mastered this program. I could never see myself using another product after Sage 300.

Pros

Ease of use Customer Service Training and Sage U Reporting Custom Reports to fit your business needs.

Cons

Other than the odd Software Glitch which Sage is more than happy to fix I have no real complaints. Anytime I seem to bring something up that would make the product better Sage seems to be working on/implementing that change.

ALAN from Bayside Concrete, Inc.

Controller

The owner/ management likes the various reports I am able to produce from the system. Overall, we are pleased with the Sage product.

Pros

all the accounting applications are integrated making it easy to run reports and pull information from the data.

Cons

Recently have noticed a decline in customer service. It appears it has been outsourced. The telephone connections are poor and it is often difficult to understand their English. Oftentimes they are not able to answer the call and you get put back into the queue which is frustrating. About a year-ago we purchased the Sage Service Operations for workers in the field to submit their hours. We had higher expectations from the software but it has not been as smooth as we were told. Running reports from it is difficult, the workers in the field are not pleased with it and the back office having to spend a lot of time correcting mistakes because the software is not user-friendly.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Ken from Harbor Management

Missing some basic functionality

I don't use the construction-specific components of this software (e.g. Job Costing) and, therefore, what's left is a very basic system which omits standard functionality found in other systems. In addition to the above, we have multiple databases setup which do not talk to each other, requiring key tables like vendor lists to be maintained in multiple places. This may be the result of bad advice from our consultant, but since they're supposed to be Sage experts, I think that reflects poorly on Sage as well.

Pros

The Sage Desktop makes it easy to maneuver in the software. It's fairly easy to import and export data.

Cons

Need separate software to print checks (not native to Sage). Not able to drill-down in reports. Difficulty with handling multiple users - when one user is viewing a report on screen, other users cannot login. Future period balance sheets which cross a fiscal year are difficult to create because of how retained earnings is posted. Unable to tell the current period when entering report parameters.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

December 2015

Craig from Schieler & Rassi Quality Builders, Inc

December 2015

Very Capable Software with Tremendous Support

Pros

By far the best thing about Sage 300 is the customer support. It is simply phenomenal. For whatever shortcomings the software has, it is made up in the ability to pick up the phone and directly contact Sage employees who speak our language, understand our concern, and our very knowledgeable of their product. You don't get the "run-around" when you call in. They are very willing to remote into your computer to explain and help with troubleshooting the problem or implementing the solution. They aren't perfect as some experiences have been disappointing, but many times as I conclude a customer support phone call I am reminded just how impressed and pleased I am with their service.

Cons

Many of the user interfaces are somewhat archaic and not the easiest to work with. That said, there seems to be a modernization process underway that will be addressing this in future versions. There are minor quirks/irregularities with the software, but that is to be expected since it has so many capabilities and tries to fill diverse needs.

Ra-Set from Empire Arch Metal & Glass

Solid expandable software

good software can expand to your needs but customer service is not responsive enough, not quick responding to business needs. Need better hours of customer service operation (open before 9am EST) and need more people to answer technical service requests via phone wait time way too extensive!!

Pros

payroll & accounting modules are great tools

Cons

crashes easy, data loss or corruptibility not hard to realize

n/a

2013

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Janna from Heldenfels Enterprises

Catch up with the present!

Having worked with several different programs, for the most part, it is no worse or better than another. They all have their issues, but Sage is definitely not a program you can just 'step into'.

Pros

It was in place when I started working here and is fairly easy to use once you learn the quirks. It does well for Job Cost Accounting.

Cons

The fact that simple things, like making a GL account inactive are not available. We have been using this software for MANY years and the fact that we cannot remove unneeded accounts, payroll deductions, and codes is ridiculous! It makes it cumbersome and a nightmare to pull some reports! The fact that SAGE ERP doesn't even talk to SAGE Accounting says a LOT!

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Not my decision - it was already in place. We are now looking for an ERP all in one solution. It's a shame Sage can't do that for us.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Mindy from Burkes Mechanical, Inc

please with software

Pros

I have been using the software for almost 20 years. As we learn more, we realize the software is capable of doing so much, but our knowledge is limited. We use all of the accounting modules and are happy with the ease of use for all users, even new ones. We use the inquiries and customize them to get information from live data. We like that we can pull our data out and use in Excel and Access.

Cons

Two users can not be accessing a bank account at one time. Our AP users and reconciler have to communicate before checks are printed to make sure no one else is accessing the bank in the software. Education is the key to learning the software. We have joined TUG, the Users Group. This group is made up of end users sharing their knowledge and experiences in a teaching/conference format.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

James from JK Tobin Construction Co., Inc.

Good product, frustrating reporting, is Sage looking forward?

Solid ERP software. Expensive to get all the "bells and whistles". Requires work outside the software to get useful information efficiently.

Pros

Once trained, easy to use. Good security policies in place to allow multiple users with access to only what they need.

Cons

Cumbersome to get information out. If you want Job information about an AP invoice, you need to look at two different inquiries because the job info is in the Job Cost database while you are looking in the Accounts Payable database, or vice versa. Even with daily time entry, the Payroll module doesn't offer an inquiry or report to get daily info about an employee (Job charged to, EQ used, etc.) Finally, why doesn't Sage have any plans to develop a 64-bit ODBC driver? The whole world is going to 64-bit Windows platforms, but have to use 32-bit Spreadsheet software to use the ODBC connection to access the information that should be available from within the software itself.

Glen from Camarata Masonry Systems, Ltd.

We've been contemplating purchasing additional modules/products for some time now, such as the paperless invoice routing and the project manager module, but we haven't because we can't get a live demo to go over the features of each. I have some users, especially with the project manager module, who need to see a demo of the software and be able to ask questions. I know you have videos that we can watch, but the operations managers are not going to stop and watch them. I also know that you have spec sheets available, but some people are old-fashioned and they want a live demo where they can ask questions and see how it works. We've been looking at the paperless invoice system for about 4 years, and the project manager module for about one year, and I think we would purchase both of them if we could reach a level of comfort.

Pros

It's mostly easy to use. Ease of use.

Cons

I have complaints from some of the users that some reports don't total correctly.

...

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Teri from The Spieker Company

Sage 300CRE review

While the support staff is very responsive and friendly, there is just things that aren't setup properly and Sage won't fix them.

Pros

Entering AP, PR etc. is easy to use and understand. It's nice that all of the modules work together.

Cons

There are just too many bugs. Some times the software just doesn't work. Example - we process a purchase order, when we finish we select to print the PO and it just doesn't happen. We have limits setup in payroll for deductions and the system continues to take the deduction past that limit. There is just a lot of quirks with the system that Sage refuses to fix.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

We have had Sage since 1999. We need to switch but we have so much history saved that we would hate to lose.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Kathy from Service Contracting Solutions

Sage 300

I have always believed in the product. Enough that I worked as a consulting for 9 years.

Pros

I like the way that these modules cover most of the activities that I need. Reporting flexibility and program stability have always been good.

Cons

I would like to see scheduling features included, purchasing fully integrated, eventually cloud-based. I would like to be able to make g/l accounts inactive. I have been having problems with module licenses and .lck. It needs updating to compete with newer programs and contact with support almost always requires a 45 minute wait.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

I am currently looking at Acumatica as a replacement because of the contract/job cost relationship and the updated cloud-based features. Sage 300 is still better because we do payroll in house.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Deborah from The Ribeiro Companies

Overall I can find, research just bout anything as I learn the system.

Pros

Once learned the program parts for my position I can work through most anything with ease.

Cons

There are still missing features. Cannot pull a report by customer name under the inquiry option only the customer number. You cannot pull up a customer by customer name in service management when creating the work orders. You cannot adjust an invoice in service management unless you post over, then void and then make corrections. And finally unless you know the whole system reports can be quite complicated. WE are not able to export information in Service Management to excel as we need. WE have to pull reports from multiple areas to get information. Have ot been able to import documents to attach to the work orders.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

John from Infinigy

Timberline Customer Support

We are a $30M A&E/Construction company.

Pros

Decent functionality once you get it working. Price to function seems good. I have a hard time saying anything else good. If you can live with the cost of frustration, you will probably eventually say its worth it. I've used it for 10 years!

Cons

Sage provides almost "ZERO" support. Don't let them lie to you. I have used this product for over 10 years and my level of frustration remains very high. They will not support you after the software/conversion is done. You get pushed to a very few, custom Crystal Report writers who are incredibly overloaded. So all the promise of great dashboards, custom reports (which you have to have! For your own business!) is for naught. Just add 6 months to your process which is absolutely not an exaggeration. Let's just say it like it is. After the sale, Sage does not care about you.

Davin from Replay Management Ltd.

Accurate and Reliable with Minor Drawbacks

The software does what you need it to do for daily accounting functions with minimal crashes or delays. However, the reporting function needs to be updated to a usable format so that it takes the end user less time to gain the information needed.

Pros

The software is very reliable and there are very few hiccups in day to day use. It's also very handy to have features such as: - Attaching documents/invoices to an AP or Journal Entry - Recurring journal entries - Project Coding

Cons

I find the interface layout to be a little archaic. It is not very modern in comparison to other accounting software. A troublesome area is when making entries in the General Ledger module, the entries are not reflected in the AP, Bank, or AR modules. However, making entries in the AP, Bank, or AR modules are transferred correctly in the GL. Lastly, the reports that are generated by Sage 300 can be put into Excel 97-2003 only. Furthermore, the reports are generated in a very complex manner with poor formatting and many merged cells. Trying to manipulate and sort data can take a long time. It would be very helpful to be able to search/filter through Sage by the invoice/document number. The only option to do this is to either export the data to Excel, or search by vendor.

Linda from SPD Construction, LLC

Sage

We run multiple -23 jobs - and the ability to track by job, run reports, have a custom WIP, gives us valuable information. We have now added GC pay and the process of controlling the jobs is now much easier.

Pros

Job Cost Reports are very good, but you need to know what you want, as it is almost all custom. work. Sage has many ways to track and this is great, but can be confusing.

Cons

Support - Chat - the help is limited to articles, and not as good as a phone call int

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Sage is specifically designed for construction - and it has multiple ways to track and report. I have used for 20 years and done 6 conversions, and it is very good.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Size of jobs and the ability to track job with more reporting.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Barb from Robert A Aird, Inc

Long time Sage user

I've been using Sage since it was Timberline and have, for the most part, been happy with it. We use it for all of our accounting needs along with purchasing and project management.

Pros

The system is very easy to use and understand. It's very flexible to meet the needs of many types of users.

Cons

The 3rd party modules can be a little difficult to navigate and do not have the flexibility that the other modules have. Aatrix is annoying and we have no choice but use it! The technical support seems to have gone down hill lately too. Trying to keep up with the changes since we are not officially notified when things change.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

It's flexibility and it was more cost effective than the other

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

To modernize our accounting system

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Jim from Banes General Contractors, Inc.

Feature rich but not user friendly

My experience has been mixed. It took several months to locate someone in support to help me through a very frustrating upgrade path. The inability to update functionality can lead to finding alternative solutions when in a time crunch. At year end 2020, we had to find another way to accommodate the 1099-NEC change when we could not successfully upgrade.

Pros

This product is fairly comprehensive with some offerings from third parties to fill in the gaps

Cons

There is a clunky, nonintuitive user interface. Training involves a long learning curve. Users who are more familiar with more graphical and intuitive experiences will need help. Upgrades can be error prone which is mitigated by the excellent Knowledge Base and being adept at Google searches. Most stumbling blocks are documented. Support is pricey but with persistence helpful.

Reasons for Switching to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Our former solution became obsolete.

It Gets Easier

I previously had a love hate relationship with this program when I first used it in 2016, but I found out that was becasuse I wasn't properly trained on the functionality of the system. Now that I'm trained on it and had a few opportunities to pick the help desks brain I have found that it is really a great fit for the construction industry.

Pros

Once you get used to the format that everything is a drill-down task then it gets easier to use. This program probably intergrates the best especially for a multi-divisional company to have a single system that does everything, A/R, A/P, Contract Management, Payroll it's great.

Cons

There is a large learning curve going from any other system to this one it is different but it is capable.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Denise from Jordy & Company

Sage 300 CRE

Overall, Sage CRE300 does a good job with accounting and job cost reporting. Data entry is easy to navigate through.

Pros

Software is easy to navigate, although menu items are not always is a place that seems intiutive to look until you've used it for a while.

Cons

General Ledger and Job Cost items do not always post automatically. This makes no sense to me, because it causes the GL or JC to get out of balance. There is a manually posting option, but this is an extra step that I've never had to use in any other software. I used Timberline as a DOS based product in the 19990's and this same out of balance issue existed then.

Reasons for Choosing Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

I inherited this product and did not purchase it.

Response from Sage

Replied May 2021

Matt from Garrett Construction

Great for Accounting and Job Cost Function; Not so much for Project Management

Pros

You're able to have custom reports associated with cost reporting for projects.

Cons

The Project Management software needs some work to be integrated and functional. The user interface is basic and could be updated to be more user friendly.

Drawing overlay and Project Management functions

Falana from InServ

A good construction project tracking software

I don't have a reason to change software products.

Pros

Ease of use Easy to learn and get accustomed to Has been around a long time Recent improvements (last 7-8 years) to the software (Xcel downloads, employee set ups, My Assistant) More 3rd party products that communicate well or easily with Sage 300 (i.e. PO/AP software, electronic clocks)

Cons

I don't like the extra layer on support. It is inevitable that we need the 2nd level for almost every call. No drill down links between modules. There are a few things (I can't think all of now) that you can tell an accountant was not completely involved in setting up. One example, putting a negative in front a number in the credit column on some reports and not on others. The inconsistency can be confusing. Is it a credit or a negative credit (which = debit).

MARIA from TOWN AND COUNTRY ROOFING

SAGEUSER

OVERALL EXPERIENCE IS HAS BEEN GOOD

Pros

EASY TO NAVIGATE AND USER FRIENDLY WHEN RUNNING REPORTS

Cons

IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET A HOLD OF SAGE SUPPORT

NEWER PRODUCT

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021

Lori from NAES POWER CONTRACTORS, INC.

Pros

Sage 300 has been our software for our division for the past 14 years. Sage has adapted to all of the necessary payroll changes through out the years. Anytime we have had issues/troubles, Sage was always there to support us and get the issue resolved in a very timely manner.

Cons

The inability of multiple people processing and posting payroll at the same time. In order to process and post the master file cannot be in use. This may very well be a control in place by our corporate office, but it seems senseless to not have the ability to have multiple users at the same time processing payroll.

Response from Sage

Replied June 2021