All STACK Reviews

Reviewed June 2022

Title of my review

Ezekiel

Reviewed July 2023

PROS

Takeoffs and the tools that we use for takeoffs is super convenient. The area takeoffs, surface area, and linear takeoffs are what we use most.

CONS

They should add in the markups category to add in shapes and arrows.

Construction, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed October 2021

Streamline our Estimating

I have zero complaints with the program or customer service.

PROS

As a fire protection estimator it is hard to find a program that allows me to do a design build electronically. I could use a Autocad style program to do the base design, but in our world of fast paced turnaround I simply do not have the time to use a program like Autocad. With StackCT I can use the linear drop function to place our sprinkler heads with proper spacing.

CONS

The autocount symbol function is good, but there are times when I get only a single count instead of hundreds needed. It has gotten better, but if there was a way to edit the background noise for the selection it would be nearly perfect.

Reason for choosing STACK

I liked the customer service and training that allowed me to quickly learn the program.

Reasons for switching to STACK

Bluebeam does not allow me as an FP estimator to do what I need.

Reviewed June 2018

Does the job but needs improvement

Your take off software needs improvement. We've waited over a year for significant updates and they haven't occurred. We have subscribed again but we won't be unless updates are made shortly as our business is growing rapidly and we need software that will keep up and OST will keep up.

PROS

It's better than a lot of other take-off software. Is in colour and is easily printable. The support is always there.

CONS

There are many things OST does that Stack does not. 1. Being able to select the dimensions of the 'count' function. ie; 2000x500mm rectangle. 2. Being able to re-assign a measurement to another measurement. ie; I measured an area for 10 minutes as turf but it was actually garden. Select the area, right click, re-assign to garden. This means you don't have to delete the item and waste more time. 3. Being able to overlay plans. ie; Your client issues a new set of plans and you need to check the difference between the old and the new. 4. Being able to calculate multiple measurements in one. ie; I want a m2 area with my measurement so I can calculate mulch however, this is in a planterbox and I also need to calculate the soil depth as well as drainage cell to walls so I really need m2, m3 and perimeter functions all engaged. 5. We're not interested in Stack Estimating as it is all Microsoft excel based, like most other programs, making it only based on rates, rather than being able to adjust accordingly for site constraints using different machinery and access requirements. 6. Your legend key needs updating. It doesn't fit correctly on the page nicely.

Jake

Reviewed September 2020

Cloud Takeoff

Stack was a significant upgrade to our takeoff process. The speed and being able to natively use it on Mac make this software great. The development team continues to add great features, some of which bring feature parity with competitors, but others are unique and now classified as "can't live without" around our office.

PROS

The ability to log in and pull up all of our project drawings on any computer. The fact that this software is web based is great and makes this platform agnostic. As we are primarily a Mac based office, this is great and does not require virtualization to run windows based software. Stack is also incredibly fast to navigate and bring up projects. Even though our older software was on computer and not web based, it required long waits to open a project and switch between projects. With stack this is almost instantaneous and it allows multiple projects to be open at once in multiple tabs or windows.

CONS

It still lacks some functionality of our previous takeoff software, especially when we first started using it. Much of that functionality has been added since we started using it, and there are a few additional items they currently show as in the pipeline. Once those are released, all of the features we need will be here.

Reason for choosing STACK

It is web based and can run natively on Mac for that reason.

Reasons for switching to STACK

Planswift was dated, didn't work natively on Mac, had little to no updates of value to us for years, and was slow (loading projects).

Layne

Reviewed May 2022

Great Option for Takeoff Software

STACK is a great solution for takeoffs - I previously used On Screen Takeoff which I really enjoyed using, but STACK offers a better user experience in my opinion. I am overall pleased with how the software works.

PROS

Takeoff is very easy to use, Assemblies feature is amazing and saves so much time once it is setup. I appreciate that the system is cloud based, this really makes things run much more smoothly and easily. Integrations with Dropbox and Google Drive are also helpful.

CONS

Organization of takeoffs could be improved. There is no undo button which sounds minimal but it can be extremely cumbersome at times. I also dislike that measurements can't be set to round to the nearest whole number - who honestly needs to measure down to a tenth of an inch shown in decimal format? These are really minor things in the overall user experience but annoying nonetheless. Overall I am very happy with Stack over alternative options for takeoff software.

Reason for choosing STACK

Assemblies feature, benefits of a cloud based system, abilities of software compared to competitors

Garret

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2023

Great for general use estimates

PROS

Highlighting for takeoffs is fairly simply and straightforward to use. Feature updates are becoming more consistent. Don't use it for much else at this stage.

CONS

Too many variables in our trade for the estimate generating side to be any better than the system we already use; would need a higher degree of customization to get there.

Reason for choosing STACK

Bluebeam has a lack of support/compatibility with Mac these days.

Mike

Reviewed July 2023

Powerful tool for job costing and estimating

Stack has taken our time to create and estimate and cut it in half. We now can produce more accurate estimates, in less time.

PROS

Having everything with the takeoff and estimating process all in one place makes stack stand out from the competition. I can take plans, to an estimate all in one place

CONS

The set up process everything feels a little tedious, but it all functions very well.

Reason for choosing STACK

Stack was the perfect fit for our estimating needs

Reasons for switching to STACK

Stack had more features and the platform to scale our estimating department with.

Ashish

Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees

Really helpful software

PROS

Its Easy to Use & time saving software..

CONS

Sometimes it takes much time for reload.

Reasons for switching to STACK

stack is much user friendly & time saving than that

Lauren

Office Mgr.

plans are easy to find

PROS

Stack is very user friendly and easy to navigate.

CONS

I don't have any negative reviews for stack.

Reasons for switching to STACK

Procore was not user friendly, and much more expensive.

Aman

Chemicals, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed February 2023

STACK is open-source software used for creating online assessments in mathematics, science, etc.

he STACK software is highly regarded for its ability to handle various mathematical expressions and provide immediate feedback to students. Its randomized question generation and compatibility with popular learning management systems are also well-received. However, some users have found the software to have a difficult learning curve and challenging setup and customization. Nonetheless, despite these potential drawbacks, the STACK software is widely recognized as a valuable tool for both educators and students in creating and grading math assessments.

PROS

STACK software has several strengths, including its ability to handle various mathematical expressions and offer randomized questions and answers. It also provides immediate feedback to students, which is crucial for them to comprehend their errors and enhance their comprehension of the subject. Furthermore, its open-source nature and compatibility with popular learning management systems make it a practical tool for educators to use when creating assessments.

CONS

the STACK software has been identified as having some potential drawbacks or limitations. These may include a difficult setup process and customization, as well as compatibility issues with certain web browsers and operating systems. However, the STACK team typically responds to user feedback and provides updates and support to address these issues.

Matt

We love it

PROS

The fact that it is all online and our ops guys can see the plans at the jobsite from their phone.

CONS

I love using your software but there are 2 things that I would like for you to improve.Sometimes I upload multiple pages for a project.When I am working on the takeoff you can see On the left the plans that you are working on listed on listed by plan name . It would be nice to be able to go to the pages that you are working on by simply clicking on the page name that is listed on the left side.Slope factorIts great that we are able to measure the basic slope by using the built in slope factor calculator. But that is only helpful for measuring the basic slope of the roof area and the rake and sidewall. But it would be great if you can add the valley and hip factor as well. It is hard to get the exact measurement without that because the hip / valley slope factor is different than the basic slope of the roof. Please see the link below that will explain what I am talking about in regards to the hip and valley. [sensitive content hidden]

Reviewed December 2019

Stack Implementation into Speacialty Contrctor Business

First it controls the flow of information and the non-flow of paper in the office. This is the biggest plus. Secondly for me I can estimate much quicker once I get set up. Which gives me more time to look into the smaller details and ultimately create a better more accurate proposal.

PROS

Foe years I had thought about utilizing a symbol based estimating take off software because we were moving from paper to the digital world. I randomly found this online about 9 months ago. It is everything I would have done. It makes sense because it stores all your basis of the estimate information electronically and you no lounger have to use paper. The cost of Paper alone pays for the service as I estimate in our business model that each contracts salesman was expending roughly $5,000 per year in document printing. The other benefit for us is that because it is electronically stored we no longer have to go through our offices every three months and disposed of all the paper on projects we did not get. Or God knows you deep six a project and the following week you get a call to review the project for contracting and other than your estimate spread sheet you have no visual layout to look at for reference. So you print it out again and then re lay out the devices and bulk materials.

CONS

For me it actually does everything I want it to do other than integration into actual building of estimates. I know that we have that capability but this a cost intensive project for each contractor. Obviously this is not a deal breaker though and perhaps in the future you could offer templates that are patterned after specific industries which would lower the cost of developing the complete estimating solution.

Reason for choosing STACK

Again I am not able to comment. For me I saw it and since I was thinking down this path to begin with it was a no brainer.

Debbie

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2023

Stack from a Person who is not techie

1. Streamline Business Processes: Stack can help businesses to streamline their processes by providing a comprehensive suite of integrated tools. This can help to automate manual tasks, reduce complexity and save time.2. Improve Productivity: Stack can help businesses to improve their productivity by providing an easy to use, intuitive platform. This can help reduce the time spent on mundane tasks, freeing up time for more important activities.3. Increase Collaboration: Stack can help to increase collaboration between team members. This can help to ensure that everyone is on the same page and working towards the same goals.4. Enhance Data Analytics: Stack can help businesses to gain valuable insights from their data through advanced analytics. This can help to identify opportunities for improvement and drive better decision-making.5. Reduce Costs: Stack can help businesses to reduce costs by providing an efficient and cost-effective solution. This can help to optimize resources and reduce the cost of operations.Benefits1. Scalability: Stacks allow for easy scaling of applications, making them ideal for applications that experience rapid growth.2. Efficiency: Stacks are built with efficiency in mind, meaning they can help with reducing server costs by consolidating many web applications into one stack.3. Security: Stacks provide a layer of security between the application and the server, making them harder for hackers to access.4. Flexibility: Stacks are highl

PROS

- Stack is a cloud-based service, which makes it easy to access, manage, and share information. - It is secure and reliable, with a variety of security measures in place to protect user data. - Stack is designed to be user-friendly, with easy-to-understand menus and options. - It offers a wide range of integrations with other services, allowing for greater flexibility and customization. - Stack is relatively inexpensive, offering plans that are tailored to the needs of individual users or businesses.

CONS

- Stack is not as feature-rich as some of its competitors, such as Salesforce. - It does not have as many integration options as some other services. - The user interface may be somewhat difficult to navigate for those who are unfamiliar with cloud-based services. - Stack does not offer a free trial, so users must purchase a plan in order to use the service.

Jeff

Reviewed January 2019

I've tried the rest, Stack is clearly the best.

Over the last 15 years, I've been with 2 companies prior to my current and, at both, I encouraged the Owner to purchase Stack (Cloud Take-off previously). Most were hesitant due to ongoing subscriptions with other platforms but eventually I was able to get, at minimum, the take off program. I haven't tried the estimating version and would try it if I could ever get the time to sit down and populate all the different assemblies, vendor pricing etc. The other issue is purchasing something untried and untested to our company specifically tailored to how we function. I think an extended trial period for that training and tailoring to our needs might be enough to justify the upgrade.

PROS

The greatest feature is the ease of use. They kept it simple for the take-off, genius on the auto-save. Of course, the cloud-based feature. No more bringing home the laptop, cables, plans, specs. Quick uploads and tons of memory for those large jobs.

CONS

Had issues with Silverlight running on MAC in earlier versions. ( wasn't a huge deal and I believe when Stack took over they fixed the bugs). I'd like to see options when drawing a linear measurement to have various dashes or hashes for lines would be helpful. For example, on other platforms I could indicate through-wall cf with a red dotted line while below do a solid line indicating another linear measurement such as expansion joint. You would then be able to visually identify to different terminations on the same linear measurement. Just a suggestion.

Reviewed July 2023

STACK is one of the most important players on our team!

The problems we're solving with STACK include material estimating for large scale retail remodels and large custom residential homes. It's important to know how much of what type of materials to order - not too much, and certainly not too little. STACK has helped us save money by not over ordering, due to the fees associated with returns.

PROS

I began using STACK with an employer that I had worked for several years ago. The ease of use, accuracy, and stellar customer support for the times I really needed it is why I have also decided to use STACK to perform estimations on my own for side jobs and have brought it along with me to my current employer for daily bidding and material takeoff use. I couldn't imagine going back to pen and paper.

CONS

Since STACK is constantly improving and rolling out new updates, I can't think of anything off hand that could be added or improved. There have been a couple of times that I called in with requests that were actually implemented into STACK, which really speaks to their attention to their customers.

Robert

Very intuitive.

My experience with Stack has been nothing but pleasant. The software is easy to use "out of the box". If you run into issues with features, the online help/training will likely address your concern. If the online resources do resolve your issue, the Chat feature and timeliness of response will.

PROS

I like the fact that Stack is very intuitive. With minimal training, this software can be used to quantitative takeoffs

CONS

Overlay - to overlay a drawing, the drawing must have the same layout. The overlaid plan cannot be resized or located. This would be beneficial when laying different drawings, (i.e. existing conditions to new work plans).

Reasons for switching to STACK

ProEst was cumbersome to implement.

Reuben