All The EDGE Reviews

Reviewed November 2018

Not just for estimating!

Overall The Edge has helped us bid projects faster and more accurately, as well as collaborate on estimates from multiple locations.

PROS

The reports we're able to generate to assist our operations team with the handover process after a project is awarded have been outstanding. The accuracy of our estimating has improved dramatically since getting everyone on board with the Edge.

CONS

Can be cumbersome to operate at first. Not a really clear help section or glossary of terms.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at https://www.estimatingedge.com/product-feedback/

Replied February 2019

ivan

Construction, 2-10 employees

Changing The way Estimating Is Done

my overall experience with The Edge has been great. i give this software a 9/10

PROS

The ease of using the software and finding everything you need is the most valuable part in my opinion.

CONS

The difficulty of modifying specific conditions

Reasons for switching to The EDGE

The Edge has so much more to offer for the money. it is a valuable piece of our company.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Derek

Reviewed July 2019

There are better programs out there

Not much. I can print out reports for the field, but they just throw them to the side.

PROS

Takeoffs are fairly simple once you get past the semi-cumbersome training. I like the ease of adjusting labor rates, and that once conditions are built they remain.

CONS

Editing the database is an awful task, and even when you think you have a handle on it....you don't. Formulas are damn near impossible to read unless you have a print out of what each piece of a formula means. In fairness, it is built into the program, but making one from scratch on your own is not worth the time it would take to learn it all. Setting up reports to reflect exactly what you want is extremely difficult. If you did it every single day and learned all of the ins and outs of how to set reports up that's one thing, but this is one of the most unfriendly aspects of the Edge. There are conditions that are never used and are unable to be deleted (hard to count how many times I've selected the wrong conditions), not everything saves in the database (FRP setup), and let's not forget that the amount of updates that there have been; more than Apple, and that's saying something! I would be more apt to continue using a program like this in the future with some major overhauls on some areas, specifically ACT takeoffs; I can't click and drag for a square footage without it crashing the system. I have brought this to the attention of the developers/programmers and it is still not fixed. Also, is there a 3D rendering coming?

Reason for choosing The EDGE

I was not involved in the decision to pursue the Edge as this company's estimating program. While some of the updates have been good, there are still enough shortcomings with this program that I would jump at the chance to switch to another program that has been thought through more thoroughly.

Carl

The Edge Software = More time and more money

I've been using the Edge Estimating Software program since 2005 and have been happier as a commercial roofing and waterproofing estimator ever since. The ease of use ing the Edge estimating software program is very easy to use - a 10 as a perfect score; however, you do need to go to Florida for a week of training, which I highly recommend so you can learn all the features and how to use them correctly. The features and functionality of their estimating software program allow you to bid much quicker and efficiently - a score of 10. What used to take me 10 hours to perform a complete take-off, with labor and material totals, now only takes 30 to 45 minutes. This allows me more time to bid more projects and help make the company more money in the process. The value of the estimating system pays off for itself with the first job you sell! Plus, knowing the Edge system has all the templates for almost any type of commercial roofing system and manufacturer helps to make sure there are no mistakes and nothing is left out on your bid. The days of having to look at 36" x 42" blue lines is over. You simply download a pdf on your screen, set the scale correctly, and you are ready to perform your entire take-off. I use the Edge reports to give our foreman and superintendent the labor and material take-off's which shows them if they are going over the budget and helps them to get back on track if necessary. I sometimes make colored prints of the roof plan showing the complete take-off with the associated legend to help the client better understand what is involved in their re-roof project or new roof project. I can continue to go and on about the benefits of using the Edge system, but just know that the value of the Edge will give you peace of mind and help save the company thousands of dollars in preventing material shortages, due to estimator errors(the old fashion way) as well as how much labor dollars you will spend in manhours and crewdays you will need for each job....I cannot put a dollar amount for this value because it is priceless and worth every penny spent on the Edge Estimating software program. The customer support has been very beneficial over the years and continues to be so. If I ever have a problem or need to ask a question, I simply call the Edge and talk to a technical representative and in less than 5 minutes, I'm a happy customer all over again. The overall quality rating of the Edge system is a 10!

PROS

How nothing is missed on a typical take-off. All the labor and materials are completely figured for you while performing each command.

CONS

N.A.....everything is great!

Thank you for your review and comments.

Cory

Edge Review

We use the EDGE as our primary estimating tool for typical Re-Roofs, New Construction Roofs, as well as wall panels. We began using the edge years ago using the digitizing boards to now using Version 12 with the cloud based system and image manager. There have been several changes within the last 10 yrs and I am pleased to say your help and customer support has been great. I am looking forward to integrating our company into the newest Version 12.

PROS

The software makes bidding and adjusting new/existing projects easy and consistent. Setting up the software to our company's specific job codes is also crucial for our estimating and cost tracking process.

CONS

on the current Version 12 I am having difficulties adding images to an existing condition/bid. The ease of use seems harder than the pervious Version 10. I would like to alter our overhead costs by entering a numerical number in lieu of consistently adjusting the percentages to match the overhead I want on a given project.

Reason for choosing The EDGE

We purchased the Edge as our first computerized estimating software and have had no reason to look elsewhere as the Software has continually changed and updated with the times and the software costs seem consistent with industry standards.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Estimating Edge has a knowledgebase which can help you answer these questions. https://www.estimatingedge.com/knowledgebase/add-an-image-to-an-existing-job-v12/ will help you add an image to an existing bid. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Shane

Reviewed April 2017

Really enjoy The EDGE, just wanted to point out a few things

While the majority of the time I love the functionality and practicality of The EDGE, I've run into a few "glitches" as well as a few things I believe could be added/changed with the next version. Please see my thoughts below. 1. Look up Database (Misc., stud, board, anything) shows No items to display happens a few times a month. Have to restart Edge. 2. Option to lock in Board heights so that it does not change when changing stud heights. 3. 6 Mil poly Labour shows up under prices. 4. More Track options in soffits. Can have 8 stud types but only 2 tracks. 5. Option to automatically allow for curved/flex tracks at walls plus arch bead and ¼ board at soffitss and arch molding at ceilings when using convert to arch 6. Allow same bead ( 3 counts) options for furred walls as there is for regular partitions. 7. There is a user code for special labour but not for special material. 8. Molding swap outs for acoustic ceilings to allow for C channel @ radiant heat panels and flex molding at curved walls 9. Would like an undo button for deleting conditions, pages etc. 10. Add a Notes page that can be added to the pages tab to put reminders, scope items, exclusions, etc. 11. Option to save Stocking and other Reports as pdf for e-mailing to suppliers. 12. Add condition for ceiling board swap outs 13. Multi condition selection tool does not always capture interior soffit, ocl. (May be more, only noticed with this one) Again I would like to reiterate that day to day I love the EDGE, these are just a few things i've noticed over the past couple of years. Thanks Shane

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments and we welcome any additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Jeffrey

Edge (Vs 10.7)

PROS

We can customize the database. This allows us to have consistency with our estimates. The functions are intuitive. The learning curve is short. The on-screen takeoff communicates well with the pricing and condition setup features.

CONS

The functionality of the software is behind some of the competitors. We are on an older version. It can be glitchy. We've lost estimates when the Edge crashes. This is less frequent as new versions have rolled out over the years. From what I've seen, these issues are addressed and resolved in the new version. The cost to convert to the new (cloud) version is extensive. There will also be a learning curve. The architecture of the software is all new. This will be an additional cost (training and down time) and will introduce opportunities for estimating errors until we get the new software figured out.

Reasons for switching to The EDGE

Changed companies (15 years ago). At that time, I found the Edge to be superior. Both programs have changed a lot in that time. The new On-Screen / Quick Bid package is better than the version of the Edge that I'm currently using. The new version of the Edge appears to be equal if not better.

Dennis

Construction, 201-500 employees

Version 12 Review

The new version is easy to learn and move around within the program. It as the same basic function/layout as for the different tabs, scenario, section, condition, drawing. It has some great new features within the drawing (take-off) screen, but some improvements would be helpful in certain areas of the drawing (take-off) screen. I'm sure that there are other great changes that I have not seen yet, but overall, the new version 12 is a fantastic improvement from previous version of the Edge Estimating Software. I cannot wait to get all of the other estimators working on the new version.

PROS

Accurately producing a bid. Keeps the project organized when it come to alternates, VE options and other project changes.

CONS

Manipulation of the drawings within the take-off screen, example - measuring, without being within a condition, draw lines parallel or perpendicular to each other. Detail screen not working or is very limited in what you can do.

Erik

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2017

I have been using The Edge since the old blue screen version. It is easy to use and you can customize it to work how you want it.

PROS

Ease of use

CONS

Needs a few updates. Drag and drop on loading digital plans, an updated drawing screen.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, is web-based and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact sales@edgeestimating.com. Also, for additional feedback product comments we welcome requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Jim

The Edge Estimating

The Edge is the easiest and most accurate estimating software I have used. It is extremely intuitive. I like how quickly we can turn out accurate and competitive bids on projects we are pursuing.

PROS

Ease and accuracy

CONS

Having to use multiple fobs on different computers

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, is web-based, is much easier to use and doesn't require FOBs. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact sales@edgeestimating.com.

Beau

Commercial Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Reviewed April 2017

few minor things that aren't very great for functionality

Oftentimes tech support is figuring out, or not figuring out, the issues real time that I have instead of having solutions. I wish you could have two jobs running simultaneously to compare trends, this makes it tough to compare without screenshotting one job then comparing. (total hassle and time consuming) in a recap screen it seems like you would want as much information as possible... the markup, or $/mday is in a sub field, but not on the main screen and it doesn't show up if you print a recap. in addition, if you print a recap, you can view SQS/mday... this doesn't show up on the recap screen until you print it... these are two very key items that I use to trend my pricing, and both of them are not readily available for viewing without additional keystrokes.

PROS

templates

CONS

functionality, mirroring, ease of viewing certain items

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s. We also have a YouTube channel that has a collection of how-to videos located http://go.edgeestimating.com/YouTube.

Garrett

Reviewed April 2017

Software works well, but hard to learn.

I have been using the EDGE software for 3 years now and have found the software to be Useful in estimating our roofing projects. There are a lot of capabilities that software offers, but I haven't scratched the surface of using it to its full potential . The software is not very intuitive for new users and takes a while to learn to use the software correctly. We did have a technician come to our shop for some training a month ago. It has greatly helped but there are still many things that I need to learn. It would be nice to have a back button and the onscreen takeoff software to be able to snap to points on the original drawing the way BlueBeam Pdf. software works. Overall the product is good, but could improve on the ease of use.

PROS

I like the tapered insulation take-off it preforms for flat roofing

CONS

The ease of use and the inability to navigate easily between details and pages.

Tyler

Estimating made easy

The Edge is a completely comprehensive method of estimating construction projects. The best part about the program is the user has the power to manipulate the input in order to meet his needs. The Edge has been a terrific tool which has allowed for a full breakdown of our operations from estimating all the way to evaluation of job cost versus expected O + P. The friendly staff at the Edge in Boynton Beach, Florida have been great to work with from the time I was in Florida for the introductory stages to the customer service aspect now. It's a terrific program and I would highly recommend it.

PROS

The overall functionality of the software is seamless. It's very easy to set things up and estimate a project using the Edge in a matter of moments. Once the preliminary stages of learning the ins and outs of the program is complete, it makes taking off a project very easy.

CONS

It can be clunky at times when revisions to estimates are necessary.

Jeff

Edge Review

I've been using The Edge estimating software for 12 years. I've secured and managed jobs ranging from small to over . The conditions are easy to manipulate to accommodate odd or difficult conditions. The program can be unstable. We are using an older version (10.7.3) due to costs and the process of moving to a newer version with an all new architecture (not backwards compatible). When using the Wizard (which you sometimes can't get around), it will change the formulas it uses to calculate board counts. The wizard makes you input a number (example: 48 for 4x12 board). When doing so, it overwrites the formula that uses the inputted board width and length. Easy to fix, but you have to know to do it.

PROS

If set up and checked, it will provide an accurate estimate. It's on-screen capabilities streamline the bidding process

CONS

Sometimes unstable. The wizard changes formulas.

Addison

Estimator/Manager Specialty Coatings

I have been using edge know for over two years. We have asked for UL updates the whole time. Every UL update still has the wrong thicknesses. On intumescent fireproofing, I have to go through and check and or change the thickness. This is on every manufacture. On the ease of use, its complicated at first then as you use it I see little flaws. Such as, UL rating wrong, no undo button, difficult to break out individual sheet material counts or linear to sq.ft. Defiantly better than others but lacking follow through.

PROS

It's software, much better then by hand.

CONS

incorrect UL's , no undo, and ease of gathering individual member material counts.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Updates are available and we would be happy to help you "apply" the updates and verify the various thicknesses. If you need instructions or help please contact the support team at theestimatingedgesupportteam@edgeestimating.com.

Ricky

My Edge Review

I've been using the Edge ever since version 7 back in the summer of 2000, and here am I now on version 12 in 2019 so almost 20 years and I wouldn't want to use anything else to do my estimates.

PROS

All in one take-off and estimating program that has the ability to integrate with your accounting software to have precise job costing. Cloud based so little to no digital footprint has to be stored on someones computer and you can access your project anywhere with an internet connection.

CONS

The reporting feature they allow you to use to manipulate their default reports is extremely time consuming and should be much more simple.