Browse GitGuardian Reviews

GitGuardian the best to maintain a security of the repos in git

It has been great I trust it and the securities of my repos

Pros

It is pretty important to maintain the security of repos. I did not even aware of these until gitGuardian took place in my development.

Cons

I think a more friendly user interface is required to the dashboard of gitGuardian

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for sharing your experience using GitGuardian! If you have any thoughts or ideas on what could make the User Interface friendlier for you, please drop us an email at: ziad [dot] ghalleb [at] gitguardian [dot] com.

Torgny from Xorcode

GitGuardian integrates in a snap!

We are using GitGuardian to prevent secrets from leaking into repositories both public and private. So far our experience has been excellent. We actually leaked a private SSH key and got a notification from GitGuardian almost immediately. We were able to revoke the key and remediate the blunder.

Pros

Integration was a snap. We're already using pre-commit for most of our repos so hooking GitGuardian into the process was simple. Since we also already use GitHub, we found integration to be extremely easy.

Cons

We had no issues integrating GitGuardian and have not found any cons, yet.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied October 2021

Thank you for sharing your experience Torgny! It's great to see teams lay great store by Shift Left and use GitGuardian at the pre-commit level.

Chris from Glasswall Solutions

Easy to use for GitHub, not so easy for ADO.

Pros

Very easy to setup, simply a few clicks and you're done. Quickly alerts in near real time.

Cons

No support for integrating with ADO, which is frustrating because we've had to purchase another tool for this.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied November 2021

Hi Chris, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience using GitGuardian. I am happy to learn our product is helping you keep your GitHub repositories secrets free. I also hear you and understand you had a difficult time using GitGuardian with Azure DevOps. While we don't offer a native integration for Azure Repos, the cloud-hosted solution for private Git repos, we do offer a native integration for Azure Pipelines to keep your CI pipelines secrets-free. I would like to offer you a dedicated 1:1 call to walk you through the setup, please drop me an email at ziad.ghalleb@gitguardian.com if you are interested. In addition, we can discuss your needs in terms of secrets scanning capabilities for Azure Repos and see how we can fit these in our 2022 roadmap. Thank you, Ziad

Phani from Self employed

Industry: Computer Games

Git the getter

Very satisfied

Pros

The ease of use and ui and features makes me use git guardian daily

Cons

Bugs an atuff can make it harder to use sometimes

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for sharing your experience with GitGuardian Phani. You can help us improve by telling us what went wrong. Please send an email to ziad [dot] ghalleb [at] gitguardian [dot] com detailing the bugs you have encountered and we will be happy to investigate.

Eren from Advitour

Easy to use and very useful

Pros

It is hard to keep track of your projects all the time and GitGuardian does that for you reliably.

Cons

Sometimes you may get spammed with unimportant notifications.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience Eren! GitGuardian's native integrations with the major VCS such as GitHub, GitLab and Bitbucket is what makes tracking all your projects in real-time possible. We're sorry to hear you are receiving many notifications. Have you tried changing the settings in the notifications center to help you focus on secret incidents only?

Aman from EA

Industry: Computer Games

GitGaurdian for Geeky helps get rid of Coding Pain.

The overall experience is nice.

Pros

The code management facility is the one that I like the most.

Cons

Sometimes it is very hard to put the stuff in place.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied September 2021

Thank you for sharing your experience using GitGuardian! If you have any thoughts or ideas on what could make the setup friendlier for you, please drop us an email at: contact [at] gitguardian [dot] com.

Matt from RMIT

Great product

Very positive, I'll be using it going forward and recommending it

Pros

GitGuardian has already saved my MySQL database and NewRelic accounts, the early alerts are fantastic.

Cons

Nothing really, the alerts are timely and informative, will use it on all my repos.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied October 2021

Thank you for taking the time to review GitGuardian Matt. We're happy to learn we're protecting critical components such as your database! If you have any feature requests or feedback, drop us an email at contact [at] gitguardian [dot] com.

Akash from IIT Kharagpur

My Experience with GitGuardian

I like the experience so far, would love to use it more in the future

Pros

It is very important for developers those are not especially good at keeping those secrets safe.

Cons

More Friendlier UI, for easy management of things.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for sharing your experience Akash. If you would like to give us more detailed feedback on the UI, please send an email to ziad [dot] ghalleb [at] gitguardian [dot] com.

joel from Lussi Technologies

The platform at the height of our needs

Pros

Gitguardian is the response to our expectations, since he answered all our preoccupations, both in terms of monitoring and at risk alert

Cons

This platform is really perfect for our cost structure, and in terms of features that's all we needed

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience Joel!

Aman from EA

GitGuradian Helps me find the Repos.

I like GitGuradian, although I frequently use it in a week

Pros

Finding a repo which is urgently needed to me It makes easy for me.

Cons

It is a little bit more expensive as compared.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for sharing your experience Aman! GitGuardian's Internal Repositories Monitoring product is free for Open Source projects, self-employed developers and teams of 25 developers or less.

Deepak from Education

Must use it

I have a habit of keeping file and secret together for simplicity, But many time have pushed those and key and username again and again. I have pushed almost for 7-8 times. Now days i do that mistake rarely but in earlier days I was struggle with this issue

Pros

Scans for secret is the best thing of this software

Cons

There is nothing more we can get from this software. Its absolutely perfect!!!!!... :)

Response from GitGuardian

Replied August 2021

Thank you for your review Deepak. We are happy GitGuardian is useful to you! Adopting good habits is hard, you can learn more about the best practices for secrets management here - https://bit.ly/3g2pXwS.

Feel confident that your developers arn't commiting secrets.

Very positive, I feel more confident now that secrets wont be in git long if they are committed at all. I can trust if I haven't gotten an alert that there are no secrets.

Pros

I like the timely notifications when there is an alert, and the triage for dealing with them are quick and easily understood by users.

Cons

Integration with github more to create issues and pull requests to remove secrets would be nice.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for sharing your experience using GitGuardian! A greater in-VCS experience is definitely one of the goals we aim towards at GitGuardian. If you want to help us shape the future of this, please drop us an email at: ziad [dot] ghalleb [at] gitguardian [dot] com.

Essential tool for modern developers

Pros

Easy to configure and use. Notifies about leaked secrets and potential vulnerabilities in GitHub repos.

Cons

Would be nice to have suggested improvements automated for simple and common mistakes.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied September 2021

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with GitGuardian! We are working on providing more automation and detection at various levels of the development lifecycle, for developers to catch incidents earlier and remediate them faster. If you would like to help us shape future versions of the product, please write to contact [at] gitguardian [dot] com.

Shreyasi from IIT Kanpur

Really a Guardian ...

Pros

The product is easy to use and easily integrable. I love how it alerts me when I have secrets exposed.

Cons

I didn't explore much but I like everything till now ... :)

Response from GitGuardian

Replied November 2021

Hi, Shreyasi. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience using GitGuardian. We're happy GitGuardian helps you keep secrets out of your code!

Abdisatar from edaji

Pros

if you were to leak your smtp credentials or env variables accidentally you get notified immediately thus protecting you

Cons

They add a webhook in every repository with no clear way to removing all of them.Rest To Be Determined

Response from GitGuardian

Replied October 2021

Thank you for sharing your experience Abdisatar! If you want to remove a repository from the real-time monitoring perimeter, go to your workspace Settings > Integrations > VCS integrations and click on "Edit".

Jonathan from Duffy & Shanley

Lifesaver for solo or small teams

Pros

Has kept me from pushing private keys to repos and alerted me when I have so I can quickly update. Must have for small teams or solo devs such as myself.

Cons

I don't have any cons, I don't use GitGuardian as much as a very dev heavy team might though.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for your review Jonathan. We're happy to know GitGuardian keeps your repositories secrets free!

A great tool to avoid securities issues

Pros

The real time notification system allowing to control the secrets leak instantly

Cons

At first I was concern about the data Gitguardian has access but I think they manage it pretty clear

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our goal is to help you get to your leaked secrets before anyone else does! As for your valid concern on data privacy, GitGuardian's APIs are stateless and do not store any of the documents you send through. We also offer an on-premises version of the Internal Repositories Monitoring for companies with strong privacy requirements.

Exactly as Expected

Pros

It's easy to use and documentation is concise and straightforward

Cons

Oftentimes can feel like it is used in niche cases but it more pertinent than expected

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience using GitGuardian. Internal Repositories Monitoring scans your code repositories and alerts you in real-time, you never know!

John from Self

Protector of all things Coded.

I'm new to GitGuardian and a CS student in college. That being said, I'm prone to accidentally commenting security keys in code and forgetting to delete them before commit. The GitGuardian tool has been assisting me in ensuring my recent project applications are not exposed and the easy integration is a big plus.

Pros

Git Secret Detection and Incident report.

Cons

None I can think of yet. But with time there will be additional features that can help ensure optimal security during development. Like some sort of integration in VS Code itself.

Response from GitGuardian

Replied August 2021

Thank you for taking the time to review GitGuardian John. We're happy to learn GitGuardian is protecting your university CS projects and hope it will be just as helpful when you start your career in software engineering!

Hakan from Facebook

Helpful for lazy people

Pros

It's very common to let Firebase keys leak so i like that it catches them

Cons

Unclear how to remove webhooks from my repositories

Response from GitGuardian

Replied July 2021

Thank you for sharing your experience Hakan. If you need any help configuring your custom webhooks, please send an email to: ziad [dot] ghalleb [at] gitguardian [dot] com.