All Adobe InDesign Reviews

Adobe InDesign User Review

Md Fateh Ali

Design, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2022

The best software to create designs for print and publishing media.

Adobe InDesign helps me a lot to create newsletters, magazines, brochures, flyers, and marketing materials design. I really feel comfortable designing with this amazing software. The functionality and features seem easy to me as an adobe user. If you are familiar with other design software like Photoshop and Illustrator, it will be easy to operate for you.

PROS

Adobe InDesign is one of my favorite software to create a design for print and publishing media. The user interface is pretty good and similar to other Adobe software like Photoshop and illustrator. That's why it's easier to design with this tool. It's capable of doing a great job in gutters, alignment, spacing, typography, and advance layout.

CONS

Pricing and lack of advanced features in terms of pages and frames. It takes tremendous resources to operate this tool.

Reason for choosing Adobe InDesign

It's the most familiar product of adobe and I am good at adobe design software.

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

Scribus is pretty good for beginners. If you go for advanced work, it can't meet all the goals. Here, I found Adobe InDesign one of the best.

Julie

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Great Software, But Rather Complex

Like all Adobe programs, InDesign is incredibly powerful and robust...almost TOO powerful. It's got a lot of little intricacies you likely will never use or need...If you do, great--they're there! But if you don't, them it's just more buttons and tabs and windows and options for you to have to dig through in order to reach the features you DO use. Still a million times better than trying to layout a document in Microsoft Word though!!

PROS

It's very powerful and can do a ton of things. After using InDesign, and being able to customize so much of my graphic design and text, I now prefer to use this over most programs, including Microsoft Word. The guides are always helpful, ensuring that my elements are evenly spaces and aligned properly. I love being able to easily copy an entire page and all it's elements, and then rearrange things while still in the same document so I can see how a design progresses as I tinker with various elements of the layout and end up with several variations and options. The program is capable of so much, and I'm always continuing to learn more new and helpful tricks.

CONS

1. The cost. Thankfully this is paid for by my employer, because I wouldn't be able to afford to use it otherwise. It's also rather annoying that I don't have the option to just outright purchase a license to OWN. No, like most other software these days, you can only "lease" it, paying by the month. This program does not have enough major updates to truly need access to the latest version. I could work from an older version quite happily. 2. FONTS. I don't know what the deal is, but I always have issues with the fonts, and regardless of how many times I waste my time, reconnecting each font style when I open a document, I inevitably have to do it each and every time. It's time consuming and cumbersome, and considering the fonts are installed directly in my computer's font library, I don't see why it has such an issue. I could possibly understand if I were only using font's from Adobe's library on the cloud, however, this particular font is installed. 3. The fact that I cannot easily change the color of an icon with a cover overlay or something similar. It's a minor point, but as icons have become so popular lately, they are featured in almost all of my documents and layouts. The only way I've found to do it thus far is a messy workaround that involves using the Inner Glow feature, and changing about 6 different but specific settings in order to change the color of the icon. It's a bit of a hassle for a task that feels rather basic. 4. My user view/layout. You have the option to customize your own layout, which I have done...and yet the layout CONSTANTLY gets reset back to the default....and my custom one has disappeared, so I don't even have the option to select it any more! Given that experience, I haven't bothered to create a new custom view because it seems futile, since it'll continue to be reset with each update, AND I'm not confident that view won't mysteriously disappear like my previous one. 5. Not the most intuitive. Its complexity is both a blessing AND a curse, and if you use a lot of other Adobe products, it'll look familiar and you'll be able to identify a lot of the buttons and figure things out. However, new people will likely have a bit of a struggle learning their way around. Also, there's SO many features that a lot of them area tucked away, "hidden" in various drop downs, buttons, options, etc. It's hard to remember where things are if you don't use them very regularly. It's difficult to truly learn the whole program. I've been using it for 13+ years, and I still feel like I'm just mediocre with it.

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

Moved to a smaller company that gave me the option to choose what graphics software I wanted to use. Given my past experience with Photoshop and Premiere, I chose to stick with Adobe tools, and I was glad I did--I found InDesign much easier to use than Quark.

Sayma

Writing and Editing, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Reviewed June 2023

Steep learning curve but creates professional material

It's great if you're an adobe user, difficult if you're not. No doubt, it creates great results though.

PROS

Really great if you want to plan the layout for your designs. I used it to make booklets.

CONS

Steep learning curve, quite difficult if you're new, especially to adobe software.

Arumuga

Animation, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2022

Adobe Indesign Software Review

PROS

The first stage of your website design is to set up a simple skeleton – something that is ‘structurally sound’ and doesn’t require too much work. You should then test this with colleagues and customers before the final design is completed. So how can you design a website that is going to be a success, that will get people to engage with it and, at the same time, keep you in business? This article contains some tips that can help you get the best out of your time in designing a website. It’s all in the software .The main difference between web design software and graphic design software is that the web design software has content-management tools and content-creation tools, such as photo editing software. Graphic design software, such as Photoshop, offers similar content creation tools but does not include any content-management tools. To work the best, most designers prefer to create websites in a tool where the elements (pictures, text and so on) can be put together in the order you want them to be seen on screen. Adobe InDesign, in particular, is well suited to this because it contains a range of built-in tools for laying out the different pages of the website (although web pages, in themselves, are really just files on the internet), including drag-and-drop, which is one of the most common methods of working. However, there are many other programs that offer similar functionality and it can often be a case of using the ‘right’ program for your work.

CONS

In Photoshop, you start with a blank canvas and create all the elements in the order you want them to appear. For a web design, Photoshop works best if you start with a template that already contains all the elements. There are also other programs that work in a similar way. Once you’ve got your website in the right shape (which can take a while) it’s time to add the final finishing touches. Web pages are often created with Flash (using programs like Flash Catalyst), but HTML (using InDesign) and XHTML (using an editor like Notepad) are the most common forms of web page creation. Flash is more commonly used to animate elements on websites, for example, when you have a picture of a car, which moves down a ramp as part of a scrolling screen. You can animate a lot of elements (such as moving text) using CSS, but if you have more than a few items to animate it is easier to create them using Flash or some other multimedia programme. If you’re working on a website that has complex formatting, such as ‘page-breaks’ or ‘margins’, then it’s best to work on this before adding the page layout so that you can avoid having to go back and make these changes if your design changes (and, let’s face it, sometimes designs do change). You can add these formatting tags using a program such as Dreamweaver, but it’s more efficient to add them after the page layout is complete.

Sean

Oil & Energy, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Short Learning curve - A must have for text-based content creation.

Coming from using photoshop for creating designs for flyers and brochures - company profiles ect... and this has been an absolute eye-opener. Now I feel like i know what the pros do. I can edit elaborate,(and readable, text-heavy + image-rich content with huge page-counts without creating monstrously big file-size. - nothing can convert into pdf as efficiently as Adobe InDesign. I have found myself almost fully ditching Photoshop, Microsoft Word and others for weeks at a time because editing here feels effortless for me (someone that loves beautifully designed and thought out documents) . The only big gripe for me is that InDesign isn't very well adopted by my collogues... so when they need to edit a file that i made - they cant easily open it like they would an MS Word document.

PROS

IT just works! - it looks like a photoshop-ey interface, but the user experience is more fitting to Designers/Nothing else seems to convert my elaborate book designs filled with HD images into PDFs with the level of optimization like InDesign does.It feels like a proper design tool but with a built-in word processor. A perfect middleground between Design and Word functionality.Its an Adobe product so it gets updated often! and now with those nifty Ai tools that automagically makes your work alot easier!

CONS

Its an Adobe product so its probably on the expensive end for a non-pro user.Coming from Photoshop - I had to rethink the way i designed and that was a small but noticeable learning curve.Lacks some of the granular functionality of Microsoft Word to be considered a possible competitor for word processing.

Reason for choosing Adobe InDesign

Made for documents and long format text files, books and magazines. Just what i needed

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

Needed more efficient way to make small file size PDFs with very high quality.

Evelyn

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Great Design Software

It is a great design software and there is no doubt about it, but I found myself been lesser productive using InDesign than a free alternative as Inkscape for most of the designs we have to produce.

PROS

It is super powerful in what regards with tools, capabilities and integrations. Barely any design might be made with this piece of software.

CONS

It is expensive. It does not have a great user interface. Many tools are not as intuitive as they should. Many equal tools from Adobe Photoshop work fairly different in this software, then somehow they don't keep the same language despite both softwares came from the same home.

Reason for choosing Adobe InDesign

I do employ most of designs pieces of software, notwithstanding I rather use Inkscape for daily use designs.

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

InDesign is barely the standard nowadays in companies to design.

Joshua

Printing, 1 employee

Reviewed April 2022

An Underrated Software That's the Real Money Maker

For me, Indesign is a life-changing software that has enabled me to reach not only my goals but my dreams of publishing a full-blown magazine. I have sent over 2 million files to print, every one of them created in Indesign. It's my bread and butter.

PROS

Photoshop gets all the attention but Indesign is the unsung hero of the print design world. It doesn't get the viral tutorials or talked about much but it's the real money maker in my opinion. I have mastered this software and with every job I get, it becomes the backbone. Assembling complex PDFs for online distribution or creating magazines or even large format print documents. I simply love Indesign. The recent round of updates is amazing and really improves the overall experience. I have always loved how it perfectly balances complexity and simplicity. It's my babe. All the other designers come to me for Indesign needs because they skipped over it. A shame, but I don't mind as it keeps the money coming in.

CONS

I can't find a complaint. The only issue was how small the interface was, has now been corrected in this last update.

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

Corel constantly crashed and froze up. It's limited and archaic. I used to think Indesign was some distant elite program. But once I made the switch, it took about an hour and I never looked back. Sorry, Corel... Thanks for some good (and very frustrating) years. But Indesign is the real deal.

Rissa

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Indesign is the best for publishing

I like using the full adobe suite of products together. It makes it so I can create and publish assets extremely quickly without extensive training.

PROS

I like the ease of use with InDesign. I have used a both of different publication editors and InDesign is by far the most comprehensive and user friendly.

CONS

With the online adobe suite sign in, sometimes you get kicked off and then don't have access to your brand standards and it can be hard to get back in.

Reason for choosing Adobe InDesign

InDesign is just a more complete product when used with the full suite.

Neil

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

InDesign is Essential to our Business

Overall an incredible piece of software, the industry standard for creative layout design

PROS

InDesign is an essential tool that we use every day to get our work done! Simply the best

CONS

It does have a steep learning curve if you are new to it

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

We switched many years ago because InDesign gave us the tools we needed and was the industry standard

Lewis

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2024

A must for any design professional

PROS

Adobe InDesign is the number one desktop publishing application and seemlessly intergrates with all the other Adobe applications

CONS

There are occasionally some very minor display bugs.

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

Adobe InDesign came with Adobe Creative Suite so was much must cost effective.

Isabelle

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed November 2023

A complete software for day-to day work

PROS

It connects with the Adobe Suite. Very complete software to create ads and flyers.

CONS

Top menu keeps changing for unkown reason

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

Not as complete. Could not exchange documents with other graphists

Jigar

Arts and Crafts, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Best Image editing software and very professional

PROS

It has wonderful Image editing feature with lot of tools which helps to edit image very professionally and also collaboration tools help to work in team and make the work faster and easy.

CONS

All the features are amazing and professional, I have not found any feature which is not in much use, overall its amazing.

Hayden

Media Production, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2022

It's a great editorial piece of software, but look into Affinity Publisher

When you need a publishing software, InDesign might be the number one choice for most professionals, and there is a good reason for it. It integrates very well with the Adobe design software suite and can make your life very easy depending on what you are working with. I do however been using Affinity Publisher more and more and been trying to switch completely in the next few years, since I already own the software and love how powerful is. Choose your poison, you can't go wrong with InDesign and if you subscribe to the whole suite thi is a no-brainer.

PROS

It's a very powerful and quite the industry standard software to use

CONS

It's quite expensive if you don't need to use other Adobe products.

Reason for choosing Adobe InDesign

I use both, depending on the project.

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

It's the more relevant piece of software these days.

Minelly

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2022

Very high functionalities for page setups

InDesign is my go-to program when it comes to creating or modifying a visual composition. I did my last product catalog with this program. It was a charm!

PROS

InDesign offers the ability to create a neat, high-quality document that can support many types of files at once. For example, if you have an image, text, shapes and some colouring, it will keep the vector aspect of the whole composition. Navigating through the menus is very clear and intuitive. Another key feature is the possibility to create 'styles' for text and paragraphs. This means that if a certain type of text needs to be repeated many types on the page, you can simply click on the style and it will automatically convert it to the registered setting. InDesign lets you create very detailed documents with a multitude of tools & options available.

CONS

It does require a monthly subscription that could be pricey to some. It also uses a lot of RAM out of your hard drive to operate the program.

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

Easier to use and more compatible with the other Adobe products.

Markus

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Reviewed August 2022

Layouts for Ads, Brochures or Posters - perfect for our daily business.

Since i'm working in advertising, im using InDesign. After QuarkXpress at the beginning, InDesign overruled it and is now the perfect tool for our and my daily business.

PROS

The easy handling and the easy drag and drop from other Adobe Suits Apps.

CONS

Could be more collaborative with multi-user functions, like the usage in apps from Google. Maybe for the next 2023 version?

Reasons for switching to Adobe InDesign

InDesign was better, faster and perfect with the complete suite.

Kristen

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2023

Adobe InDesign helps our design team run efficiently!

PROS

I honestly do not want to imagine producing the print and digital marketing collateral that we do without InDesign. The tool provides a myriad of customization options, enables easy linking to images and other assets, and offers an ease in exporting materials for printing or posting purposes. We can create an entire campaign's worth of deliverables leveraging this tool in collaboration with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Magnetic guides can be enabled to snap objects and frames into place in an artboard. Panels can be customized into selected windows and tools much like other Adobe apps to provide a familiar and custom workspace—and different workspaces can be established for different purposes (digital publishing, interactive PDFs, review, etc.). Additional tools provide Adobe PDF and other presets for quick file export.

CONS

As with many Adobe tools, there is a learning curve for InDesign, especially when it comes to producing printed work. We had one of our team members who was familiar with Adobe Premier and Adobe Illustrator get started in Adobe InDesign to support the development of a 126-page digital publication, and it took a few video tutorials along with support/training provided by our art director to get them started with the project. If a designer is learning this tool, I recommend considering video onboarding in the project timeline—Adobe does offer a wide variety of Getting Started tutorials and support tools to explore. When I got started with this program, I took a trimester-long college-level course to make sure I could use the tool well. While we have a lead designer determined for each project or campaign, we often collaborate in order to distribute the workload effectively among us. Adobe Indesign is not conducive to more than one user making changes to the file, and one must be very careful in checking for errors before saving the file for another designer to use. Of course, the pains that often come with sharing files like this can be eased with an established brand guideline that provides the fonts, links, and other assets required.

Alarna

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2022

Great Software but not suitable for beginners

When I first started using this product I found it a bit difficult to navigate through but as time went on I got to love it. Overall I think Adobe InDesign is a very useful and well laid out program. There are so many features to use to make an excellent end product. However, I think Adobe should make available with purchasing the program a short course to teach new users how to properly navigate the interface.

PROS

There are many tools available to create amazing products. I personally love how each tool has a keyboard shortcut that comes in very handy once you are familiar to the interface. InDesign provides loads of different fonts and is great for integrating graphics and images into all the projects that you are working on, example brochures, business cards, magazines etc. One of the cool features that I love about InDesign is the bleed feature, which ensures that your business cards or brochures do not end up with a white strip along the edge of your print work.

CONS

It is expensive when you do not use other adobe products and requires a monthly subscription. The program has many advanced features that require a lot of patience to learn your way around making it not user friendly for beginners. It also uses quite a bit of RAM to run this program and can take some time to load.

Reason for choosing Adobe InDesign

Because of its many features

Richard

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

Take your Publication Design(book, news paper, brochure) to the next Level

Overall I have benefited a lot working with Adobe InDesign on all my publication projects . Checking my imposition and keeping my design well organized.

PROS

The A master page which allows users to have control over all pages . Also, the software has a simple interface because of its similarity to the Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop. The most amazing thing is that after working, the user can package the project with all media and fonts. The ability to create a style sheet for text designs and many more to ensure consistency and save time.

CONS

There is nothing I really don't like about this software.

Scott