All OpenTable Reviews

Emtiaz

Hospital & Health Care, 11 - 50 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed June 2022

There is Always a Table with OpenTable!

paulina

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Quick reservation with no need to call

Easy and convenient. Painless way to make a quick restaurant reservations without being put on hold or talking to a person. Can view manu and everything there is to know about restaurant I'm looking at online.

PROS

I have been using open table on both sides. I use it to make my personal restaurant reservations and I use it at the restaurant I work for as a server. I love that when I view restaurants and want to make a reservation about 70% of total restaurants have open table. Its quick and painless way to make a reservation without being put on hold by a hostess..sometimes for very very long time. It give you chose of time and you can read all about the place you looking at. It shows you :hours, Entertainment, menu, you see photos that costumers posted, you see map of location, even who the chef is. Making reservation takes less then 10 seconds!!!! Fast and confident. As a worker it's very easy to operate system. Brainless I would say. I like that I can make notes for each reservation. Such a sever request or allergy.

CONS

For my personal use I never had an issue. As me working with open table every here and then reservations are not showing on my side as hostess/server. I had few angry guest. Will never know if that was a costumer fult or open table system fult for not processing reservation.

Kelly

Food & Beverages, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2020

A great reservations software for restaurants

Everything about OpenTable for Restaurants was an experience worth remembering. I never found myself getting lost or hung up on a problem with the software and creating reservations for the guests frequenting the restaurant. It did such a fantastic job with estimating the time that a table will be sitting to eat, depending on their party size, and adjust the schedule based on this. There would be reminders and notes when this would be approaching so I could let the customers know in advance so they didn’t have to come in and get upset. It allowed us to be able to go above and beyond to ensure our guests had the four star experience they were paying for.

PROS

Where to start when it comes to the best features of the OpenTable software. First and foremost, it is incredibly simple to pick up how to use it after only a few reservations have been made, it’s that great of a system. As a front of the house team member, it allowed me to view the entire floor plan of the restaurant on screen in a visual way that made the most sense to me, which made making reservations that much easier. When it came time to create the reservation, it was a matter of clicking on the proper icon from either a view of the floor plan or a view of the timeline. You are shown an overall view of the guests names and their party size as well as given an estimated time their party will likely be sat given their past visits to the restaurant and based of the average time of a party that size.

CONS

The software version I used has since been updated several times and I’m sure anything that was missing then has been added by now. As a user for multiple years, I strongly believe that there was hardly anything I can think of that was wrong with OpenTable. It helped me complete my job efficiently and all the guests seemed to enjoy their process of using it as well.

Brian

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Joined for free during a covid deal

Unfortunately I feel like it's mandatory now. But I long for the days before covid when we purposefully DIDN'T take reservations.

PROS

I liked that it was free for a while. It was essential when we had only 5 tables during covid mandatory outdoor dining.

CONS

You get used to having it, you customers get used to having it, and then the price seems exorbitant.

Reason for choosing OpenTable

it was free. I needed SOMETHING. I had always assumed I'd drop it after Covid. Still might...

Wendy

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

OpenTable did more harm than good

It was terrible. Our issues were never reserved which created massive problems for us

PROS

It offered a reservation system that we wanted to use to manage seating.

CONS

It was never accurate. Our times didn’t correlate to the actual reservation times. Customers reservations were not populating on our side. It was a disaster and I would like to get the money wasted back

Gladys

Non-Profit Organization Management, 201-500 employees

Reviewed March 2024

"Table for two, please" has never been easier

Overall, if you're a frequent restaurant diner, you must have Open Table. There are places that will tell you there are no reservations available, but Open Table updates in real time when reservations are cancelled and will even notify you if a table opens in a booked-out restaurant you are looking to dine in. It's also great when dining with a group, because you can filter by cuisines, group size, distance and other factors.

PROS

I like being able to have options by simply using my location to find restaurants near me that have open tables for my group size. No more going from place to place, waiting for a table. I also like the reminders that come via text and the ability to add the reservation to my Google Calendar.

CONS

They have a rewards program, but the app makes it unclear as to how to qualify or what the qualifiers are to earn rewards, but it sends you a notification on each reservation that you didn't earn them. It's really confusing, because the reminder that you're not earning rewards should then include instructions on how to do so.

Christian

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Great product

PROS

Ease and the customer facing ability to get your restaurant reservations.

CONS

It should have a profile for restaurants that are not on it to really show the maximum dining options

shalva

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Very good stuff

PROS

Reliability and exposure to guests and clients

CONS

I likve evrything no cons

Aria

Real Estate, 2-10 employees

Love it when I see that a restaurant uses OpenTable

PROS

Ease of reservations, text reminders are amazing. You can modify or cancel on your own as well.

CONS

Can be annoying to navigate on your phone

Savannah

Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed June 2024

Easiest way to make a reservation

PROS

I love that I don't have to call into a restaurant. Instead, I can make a reservation conveniently from my phone at any time and ensure that we are correctly in the restaurant's system. I can even leave notes for the owner.

CONS

There have been times where it doesn't allow for us to make a reservation but there is indeed capacity at the restaurant. I think this is more of an error on the restaurant's end.

Jacqueline

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Great Option for Reservation Making

PROS

The application is very easy to use and gives instant awareness of what is available.

CONS

Nothing negative about Open Table. I wish all restaurants used it.

Aron

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2019

A great tool for restaurant

We have used them for years and would highly recommend them to small, non-corporate restaurants trying to be seen amongst so many local restaurants.

PROS

Easy for our guests to make reservations, tracks guests visits, you can enter guest notes and historical data to make their next visit more meaningful. They often have "Top Ten" lists for the categories that guests vote you in that you can use for marketing purposes. Reviews on Open Table are considered 'legit' as only real diners can write reviews.

CONS

If you have more money to spend, a program like SevenRooms has more guest tracking data capabilities for tagging and targeted emails/marketing. Can get expensive if your guests often use Open Table to make reservations.

Reason for choosing OpenTable

If we had more money to spend, we would move to SevenRooms, but it is vastly more expensive so we won't be making the switch anytime soon.

Hi Aron, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate your recommendation. We are now able to offer very sophisticated CRM capabilities through Venga. You can learn more here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/venga

Replied September 2019

Kimberly

Industrial Automation, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed October 2022

OpenTable is Imperative in this Day & Age

I find that OpenTable is a very good option for reservations and that my notes for special instructions are always followed. I also love the reward system. It is fun to build up points and receive Amazon gift cards after so many points are earned. It is also cool that they have the menus available to peruse before you arrive as well as special "experience" options that you can choose at some of the restaurants.

PROS

It is user-friendly, the calendar option is great, and the ability to invite guests is fantastic. I use OpenTable almost every day. I travel for work and use OpenTable to book all of my lunch and dinner meetings for my clients when possible. I love the rewards program, receiving Amazon gift cards every so often is always fun. I also really enjoy learning about new restaurants in the area I live in and in the towns, I am visiting for work or on vacation. The "experience" option is also fun and tells you a little bit more about each restaurant as you make your reservation.

CONS

The only two complaints that I have is that some restaurants pull open seating on certain days and that all restaurants so not participate in Open table.

Nichole

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2017

Open Table/ Dirty Table

PROS

The ease of access of this app is too good for words. If everyone is sufficiently trained, and staff members are on their A game, this is app is quite helpful and useful. It allows all members of staff to update the POS system in order to communicate quickly what status a table is at. It is also helpful with assigning tables to certain parties and deciding upon wait times. For the Hostess, this system is great all all hosts should learn this program at some point in their career. I would only say that it is harder to expect a server to stay on top of updating the system for the hosts throughout their steps of service.

CONS

While the overall application is easy to use and very informative, it does tend to send some mixed signals between servers and hosts if not used properly. The app shows table layout on the screen that allows the user to see which tables have guests, which tables are empty but need to be bussed, and which tables are ready for new guests to be seated. The problem here is that unless a server has time between taking care of her other guests to run to a POS station to inform a hostess that a table is dirty and then find time 5-10 minutes later to see if her buster has cleaned the table and then update the table through the system, clean tables are forgotten and wait times are lengthened due to miscommunications. The structure itself is easy to use, however it seems to add

Reviewed February 2019

Great to make online reservations

Overall OpenTable is a great tool to make online reservations; however, I do feel that they need to make some improvements especially regarding the reward program to make it more appealing.

PROS

I use OpenTable almost on a daily basis to make reservations for both business and personal lunches or dinners. It is very easy to use and you can book a table at a restaurant within minutes. I like that you can search restaurants by neighborhood but also by cuisine and price range. It is also very easy to cancel or modify a reservation. The app is also very convenient for any on the go need.

CONS

Their reward program is not appealing. The VIP status doesn't grant you anything. I wish they would design a program where VIP members get preferred seating, timing etc. Moreover, after you collect a certain amount of points, you get a voucher towards a future reservation; however I noticed that the selection of restaurants that accept the voucher is extremely limited. Additionally, not all restaurants are listed on OpenTable, which sometimes is not ideal

Rohan

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Reviewed March 2022

Great way to manage restaurant reservations!

PROS

Very easy platform to use to find and book restaurants. You can search for restaurants by cuisines, location and availability and once you have made a booking you can also easily modify the booking by following the link in the email. If you make a booking and don’t turn up they also send you an email to ask you to cancel if you cannot make it so that small businesses are not impacted by people not Turing up for their reservations. All in all a very easy to use product and this is the only software I use to book restaurants in my city. Shame it is not available more widely across other countries!

CONS

I can’t think of any cons except sometimes, it’s possible that some slots that are cancelled are not always available on open table but I suspect that is got more to do with restaurant updating their availability rather than open table

ilysse

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2020

Great for Reservations Online

OpenTable allows our clients to manage their own reservation systems.

PROS

As a website agency, OpenTable has been great to embed on our clients' websites to allow customers to make online reservations.

CONS

There aren't a ton of options in terms of styling the different widgets and browser testing for online reservations.

The reviews were better

Eric R.

Research, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2022

OpenTable is great when it is properly configured, but hides too many useful tools

PROS

When OpenTable had a cleaner reservation system, it was excellent. You could book way ahead of time and they had a points-based system that earned you rewards. Sometime a few years back, they lost a lot of their functionality and they seemed to lose their ability to book a lot of restaurants they'd previously had. The rewards system was a big part of my regular use, so I stopped using them as often as a result.

CONS

When there is a reservation option on the listing for a restaurant, it is kind of hidden. This makes very little sense.

Reasons for switching to OpenTable

OpenTable had an incentive program.

Natalie

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

Reviewed April 2021

Excellent way to stay on the same page and unburden your hosts

Open table was a HUGE burden off our hosts, helped our servers step in as hosts easily since they could see who was next/what was open, really incredible way to get reservations and minimize phone calls. Love that customers enter their own details-- too many times we've had hosts mishear phone numbers or misunderstand dates.

PROS

Ability to text those on the waitlist at the click of a button, how customizable table setup can be to make it look exactly like our multi-floor restaurant layout, ease of customizing server profiles/keeping track of who's next in rotation automatically. Keeps record of heads per each table sat so keeps servers satisfied they aren't being jipped

CONS

Only allows 3 texts per guest-- not ideal for busy brunch spots. Does not send alerts to us when cancellations are made so often having to constantly check and re-check to make sure we aren't saving tables for nothing

Lauren